Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• rgc2200rgc2200 Member Posts: 37
    The "official" media blitz started today, with full 2 page ads in the paper, and radio spots. What is missing? Lease deals, as we've seen in all other 2003 saab models, audi, mercedes, vw etc. My 2 quotes from 2 competitive dealers are the same on a black 5 speed launch/touring package 9-3. . 2K down,460/month, 36 month 36K miles. From my discussions with 2 salesman, the new 9-3 is not flying off the lot as they had hoped. The launch package audio system is not just a 6 CD player. The audio system is integrated into the dash just like the 300watt arc system, but at lower wattage. Since 15" wheels aren't available on any base 9-3, it does appear to lower the value of the package. Would i be crazy to test drive a loaded passat? waiting for a lease deal from saab/gm on this car may be futile.
  • brydymondbrydymond Member Posts: 41
    Was cruising by my local dealer and they have a silver 9-3 Launch on the lot. I am going to see it today.

In reference to rgc2200's post; what sort of ALR are they offering? GMAC tends to drop the rate to 0.9% and the buy-back goes with it.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I've seen full page ads for the new 9-3 for the past week or two. It's in full swing in the Toronto area. Local dealer has 2 or 3 sitting on the lot.

Have to go test drive soon. Very nice to look at that's for sure!
  • glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    Just got back from another test drive -- the dealer mentioned that the onstar feature will be retrofitted into the cars by the end of the year (for the ones that have been sold). Because of the "inconvenience" they will extended the "safe&sound" service for additional year at no charge (two years total). On the Linears with the Launch package - they will also get 100 min/month of anytime calling for the 2 years.

Anyone else hear something similar?

George
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    I am disappointed in the lease pricing I have seen on the 9-3 so far.....
    The car just came out, I would not expect to see any deals for a while.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Maybe buying would be a good idea. 0.0,2.9,3.9% for 36,48,60 months. Payments would be about $80 a month higher. Something to think about.
  • torquertorquer Member Posts: 17
    I went to the local dealer yesterday to test drive an new 9-3 Linear. They didn't have any sticks in stock, so I took an auto. I must say, great pep for an automatic, with very little turbo lag or torque steer -- jumped right off the line, at least through 40mph before any noticeable fade. Ride didn't feel as "road-solid" as A4 or 325, but steering and braking were both crisp. Interior -- big upgrade over 02 (which I found to be plasticy and cheap).

Only interior gripe was the cloth door panels and center armrest -- come on Saab, stop skimping! Given these two areas are the most prone to dirt, the cloth is a poor choice -- even if they were vinyl and not leather, no one would notice and it would be a lot more practical. The cloth also looks out of place b/c it's a raised windowpane pattern vs. the smooth leather on the seating surfaces.

Otherwise, very solid car, I'd imagine the 210hp engine will be a delight (although maybe more torque steer). Before driving, never would have considered Linear based on its features/engine. Now, I really have to think about the extra $$. Most cars on the lot were equipped with Launch, Touring, Auto, Heated Seats, bringing MSRP up to 32.9K, so don't count on seeing to many $27K cars around. Still, at 32-33K, probably a good value.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Go to saabusa.com and configure a 9-3 to your liking and then use the finance calculator for your lease payment. The one the dealer is quoting you seems a bit high. I haven't test driven the car just yet and every day when I drive by there they have the same one on the lot. The blue one I saw Monday is gone so it didn't last long. The one they have is black and has the multi-spoke wheels.
    $32.9K must be a fully loaded one. If I do a 9-3, I'd prefer one less equipped. As I've said before, the Touring package($995 for climate control, auto dim mirror, and bi-xenon lights) is really all I would want. Could take or leave the heated seats as well as the slushbox. The kicker for me is if the dealer will do GMS pricing on the 9-3. If so, then we may be in business. If not, well they've lost a sale as I'm not paying MSRP for the car.
  • torquertorquer Member Posts: 17
    According to Edmund's, the TMV is about $900 below MSRP in my area (SF Bay Area), and the Invoice-MSRP spread is only $1500, so there's not a lot of room. While I can't prove Edmunds wrong, I can't imagine enough sales have occured on a brand new model to justify a lower-than-MSRP TMV, but if you believe Edmunds there's definitely play in the price. Given the lightning depreciation of Saabs, you can be sure that I won't be paying MSRP either!
    i've done the saabusa site. comes out pretty darn close to my price, which is based on 4.8% rate. i'm backed against the wall a little as my current 9-3 lease is up mid december. i've pushed on msrp, and get the "this car is priced competitively" line. My other saab purchases all got thousands off the msrp, especially the '91 9000 turbo. i was also told today by saab that my 4 blizzaks on 9-3 steel rims that i put on in the winter (always makes my saab unbelieveable in snow) are not compatible with the suspension, and i need to put the blizzaks on alloy rims! that doesn't make me happy either. am considering bailing on the car. don't want to buy, as you all know saabs lose value precipitiously, and new models are risky. after 20 years of driving them, while i luv the quirkiness and unique design, they haven't earned my trust to buy a new model.
    I'm with you on the first year of a new model, trouble is the two cars I really like right now(CTS and 9-3) are first years of totally new designs. This among other reasons is why I'm leaning toward leasing. I typically like to buy a new car every 2 to 3 years so leasing is more affordible to me as well and I don't have to worry about resale. I guess my lease numbers were lower because I was just adding the touring package and I ran one with the automatic. Unless the base audio system sucks or the 15" wheels(which may not even be available now) really hurt the handling, a lightly equipped 9-3 is perfectly okay with me. What attracted me to the car to begin with is the excellent level of standard features. The more I think about it, I think a 5 speed manual would be quite fun in a car like this. And if one can be found, it saves you $1200. GMS pricing on Saabs is invoice less any regional advertising costs so the kicker is whether the dealer is willing to do it as it is voluntary and can be on a "per car" basis.
    15 " wheels are not available. the 9-3 i drove was the base, with 16" and they told me the exact same onstar story as above (installed later, one extra year of 1000 hours free). this audio system is a little stronger than the 9-3 se. the audio in my 00 base 9-3 is pretty lousy, and unfortunately i forgot to bring a cd on my initial test drive. my price should be low, because black isn't metallic (-495) 5 speed, but included launch and touring. (i do enjoy a sunroof). the kicker was the black one they got in has parchment interior not grey. the contrast of lighter leather with black is actually pretty cool. how dirty it would look concerns me. i don't think the manuals will be that hard to find.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Does anyone know GM's policy on GMS/GMO pricing for Saab's?

I understand it's not as structured...and not as favorable as homegrown cars.
    GMS pricing for Saabs is invoice less any regional advertising costs. It is not listed on the vehicle's invoice as is the case with other GM cars, but if you go by invoice cost you've pretty much got the GMS price. The kicker is dealer participation is optional and is on a per car basis.
    Thanks for the reply.

Do you know about GMO? I'd really prefer to factory order.
    Trading in the RDV?
    Not sure on GMO pricing.
    Oldsman - Thanks. I went to the local Chevy/Saab dealer today only to learn that they dropped Saab 3 years ago! I have to drive to Kirkland (40+ minutes with traffic) to see it. I'm liking the Saab less if it's going to be a hassle to take it to the dealer.

Dindak - No way! Style, room, luxury...it's the only way to go with a family. Also, it's the Buick's versatility that allows me to own a compact 2nd car. I would like to replace our '93 Accord sometime next year and am researching compact sport sedans (Infiniti G35, BMW 330i, Audi A4, Lexus is300, Saab 9-3 Arc). I've always wanted a BMW but, I'm sorely tempted by the bargain priced japanese contenders.

I probably won't buy a new car for some time...I just like to fantasize and play with data/numbers (and test drive).
    I'd add the Cadillac CTS to that list as well. It is one very nice driving car. A bit more expensive than the 9-3 when you start adding options, but still less expensice than a 330 or well equipped A4.

Today's paper had an ad for the 9-3 and it said starting at $26,5xx or $359 a month lease. The lease details were 48 months and $1999 down. That is about what I'd be willing to put down(would prefer to keep it near $1500) and I would just do a 36 month lease so maybe what I'm willing to pay a month in a lease isn't that far off. If the dealer will do GMS pricing on the car then the lease should be very much in my range. A base Linear with the Touring package is really all I want. I can take or leave heated seats(my Intrigue has them and while nice when very cold, have survived before without them) and the more I think about it, I think the manual would be fun in a car like that. So Saab, equip me a 9-3 like that and do GMS pricing and you may have a customer.
    Sorry Oldsman, while I am impressed with the performance and engineering of the CTS, I think it is ugly...inside and out. I just couldn't go there.

The BMW is my 1st choice. If it was $30,000 and had a better reputation for reliability, it would be no contest.

Which is why I think the G35 Coupe or IS300 are my best bet. RWD, stylish, reliable, affordable, and performance on par with the BMW.

The front drivers are next on my list. I see them more as GT cars...a little soft around the edges. They're nice, but not quite what I want.

I am intrigued by the Saab because it offers European style and cachet, at the price of the Japanese cars. I have also heard that Saab's are terrific drivers cars, but in a different way than BMW. I suspect the 9-3 isn't quite the experience I'm looking for, but will reserve judgement until I've driven it.

The good news is, the Honda runs great so there's no hurry...
    The CTS is bold looking, but if you find it ugly in and out, then I can't imagine one finding much beauty in the G35 or IS300 either. I'm a bit intrigued(pardon the pun) at the 9-3 as well as I think it is a great looking sedan and seems to offer alot for the price. To me, it's a great stop-gap until the CTS gets more power and I can more easily afford it's 34K(as I would have it equipped) price. I'm hoping to get the time to stop off and test drive a 9-3 this week. I'm also hoping the dealer will get more in as other than the short lives blue one, they have had only one for the past two weeks.
    No knocks on the CTS...it's a terrific car. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Let us know what you think of the 9-3. I probably won't get to see it for a couple of weeks yet.
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    Isn't there a Saab dealer in central Seattle?
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    There is Carter VW/Saab at 5202 Leary Ave. NW. That is a somewhat north of the central business area though.

Is one of your relatives about to pull the plug on a new 9-3? I test drove one over the weekend and really liked it. I never thought I would like a 4 more than the one in my Miata. Saab really has the ecotec cooking!
    spent some interesting time at the dealer. most of the 9-3's until 12/02 will have launch, heated seats, touring package +/- sport (17" wheels). invoice at 2 sites for base, tour, heated seats, launch, 625 destination: 28623. msrp: 30610 (non metallic paint). dealer showed me an invoice which said 29615. Less saab loyalty (500) and a smaller discount (300). The lowest I could get with all included, taxes, new tags, all charges, for launch, heated seats, touring: 31777, (32215 metallic paint). IF you can swing the monthly payments, no money down, first payment in 3 months, 880/month x 36 months. no interest. own the car after 3 years. all maintenance done. leasing for 36/12k/2k down/450/month residual value 16,300. If purchased as above, and the car is sold after 3 years 34K miles over 13-14K, you come out ahead. (lease is around 4.5% APR)car should be worth alot more than that! GM's 0 percent 36 month may be the way to go, if you can swing the payments. . seems to have alot more value than leasing without a lease incentive from GM or Saab. . .
    If sales are soft and/or the economy stays slow, I wonder if GM will run the 0% for 60 months financing. I'm still tempted to do a lease because I don't have a large amount to put down and I don't want to be upside down if in two to three years I'm ready for something else. Still looking for a base Linear with Touring package and heated seats.
  • candyman85233candyman85233 Member Posts: 43
    I am looking for a convertible with a nice ride and decent power. I am 6'2" and 200 lbs and most seats feel too small to me in these convertibles. This is what I feel a luxury auto would have, is nice plush seats.

I am currently considering the Volvo C70 HT, Saab 9-3, Chrysler Sebring Limited and Toyota Solara. I cannot afford new, so I am looking at probly a one year old car. The BMW 3 series is not a possibility as it is a rear wheel drive car (which doesn't mix with snow and ice well).

I am subscribed to Edmunds town hall rooms in all 4 cars, but as I have read in this chat, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and choosing between these cars is very very difficult.

I have test drove a C70 and was not impressed with the ride (seemed to feel every bump in the road). Test drove the 9-3 today and rode better than the C70 but with the wheels lawsuit and auto. tranny issues, am unsure about the value of this car. For the money, it seems like a used Sebring Limited is a great deal, but I haven't driven it yet.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    For your purposes, it seems the Sebring is the best buy. It's affordable to buy and to keep up. It's probably going to be fairly reliable, but it will not have the prestige of the other two. It will probably ride well but handle poorly, so if you're just looking for a nice cruiser, it's the best choice.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I would sure give the Camry Solara a close look. It probably has the best ride of the group you are looking at, is definately the most reliable, gets the best gas mileage, and only cost $25k new (much less than a 1 year old SAAB or Volvo).

That is with the 4-cyl, but it is a jewel of an engine. Very quiet, smooth and fast. Drive one, and I think you will see no need for the 6 cyl, plus the money you save will mean that you don't need to buy a one year old vehicle.
    I don't understand your point on price. The base 2003 9-3 starts at 25.9. How is 25k going to be much less than a 1 year old 9-3?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    He wants a convertable. You can't even get a 2003 9-3 convertable yet, and the 2002 is in the mid 30's.
    Ah, my bad. I thought we were talking Sedans.

Using the price of the 9-3 Linear as a guide, the new 9-3 convertible will probably start in the 30k range. So yes, there would be a 5k break on the Solara Convertible.
    Solara has no style to it at all though. It has to be the blandest car on the road.
    Pretty true of all Toyotas, the Matrix a duly noted exception.
  • candyman85233candyman85233 Member Posts: 43
    The Saga continues...

Today, a buddy of mine has a BMW 330 coupe that he let me test drive. I like the way the key has the alarm and door control buttons, nice touch. I took it out on the highway and before I knew it, I looked at the speedo and I was doing 85! No way! But, it was rough ride, like a sports car.

Then I went a test drove a Solara Convertible loaded. It was a nicer ride, smoother, however, even with the top up there was a noticable shake in the ride. Also, I could hear the wind hitting the top by the windshield (hard to describe). It has a great stereo system and the leather is nice. Then I put the top down and felt like my head was sticking above the windshield. It just feels like a 'small' car.

I guess I am too picky, or there is something wrong with me. I can't believe I am the only one in the world that wants a nice convertible with plush leather seats and a nice ride. Although, I haven't test driven the Sebring yet. That will be on Friday.

So until then...
  • mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    I got the GM suppliers discount, which is essentially dealer's invoice. Dealer is in NJ. Car is coming up from GA, supposed to be the only red 9-3 in the USA so far.
  • BlokeBloke Member Posts: 10
    My dealer here in Michigan had a couple of Red 2003 9-3's, one was definetly a demo, the other was in the show room.
    love to hear the details of your lease. haven't seen a red one yet. assuming metallic, launch, heated seats (? tour or sporting package) + 625 destination. . .your invoice, down payments, length of lease and miles/year, monthly payments and residual?? I wasn't happy with the best lease deal I could find and was tempted by the 0 down 0 apr 36 month purchase.
    2 red ones sitting at the local lot up here. I highly doubt they only sent one over to the US, sounds like a salesman story.
    Yeah, story about RED probably is salesman's B.S.
    Here are the details:
    Linear 24443
    Launch 2258
    Heated 431
    Touring 866
    Dest 625
    Prep 130 (required in GM supplier discount)
    Total: 28753 Residual is 53%.
    Down payment was $2000, plus tax, bank fee, first month payment. Security deposit waived. Monthly payment $387.28, 15,000 mi/yr. 2 years of On-Star.
    Hope this gives you basis of comparison.
    I like those numbers!! I'd even settle for one without the launch package. Any trouble getting them to do GMS pricing? Keep us posted on how you like the car.
    You did great. Is this a 3 year, 15,000 mile lease? (I guess the red is not metallic.) Those #'s are really unbelieveable. . and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I've been in the chair trying to negotiate, and couldn't get close to those #'s. What is your total money down counting everything? Did you have 500$ Saab loyalty discount? Is it OK to share the dealer's name/website? Somehow you are close to 75$/month cheaper and I looked at 12000 miles/year! I was planning on purchasing, as the 0% down for 3 months, 0% APR for 36 months is sweet. My price, same package as moose add metallic paint, all taxes/tags included was 32215. I wonder if you could have purchased at 28753 + taxes?
  • phoenexiusphoenexius Member Posts: 30
    Here is the Price list for Belgium (in French, best I could do for now)

http://www.saab.be/main/BE/pdf/93-sportsedan_french.pdf

Look at the HTVA (before taxes)

(Basically the Base Linear is 2 grand cheaper and Arc 210 hp is 3 grand cheaper)

These prices are in Euro (of course)

If I could actually get my hands on one (I think the dealer around the corner has 4), I figure I could ship it to the US for $1000 USD. Anybody know an Auto Importer that might be interested in a few 9-3s?

Tell them to ship some to Saab of Knoxville. They currently only have one 9-3 on the lot. The most I've seen at one time is 2 and the second one doesn't seem to stay there long.
    RGC220, remember, the key here is that I got the GM Supplier discount. I work for a company that buys a fleet of vehicles from GM every year. As an employee of that company, I'm entitled to the "supplier" discount, even though my company is technically not a supplier. The lease was a 36 month lease, total down after all the fees, etc. was $3102.05. No Saab loyalty discount. This would be my first Saab (I drive an Audi).The prices would be good for purchase too, plus $1000 cash back! Check out this site for more info on the GM supplier Discount: GMSUPPLIERDISCOUNT.COM. The prices are published and are exactly the same at every dealer that honors the discount. My dealer did not hesitate (we'll see if the car is actually delivered!)
    I feel stupid. . (am I the only one?), but more educated. of course, the vast majority of us don't qualify for such a discount. you are taking advantage of a great price and opportunity. I did learn that my "invoice" includes the advertising allowance given to dealers (I asked about this. . its clearly non negotiable) Your lease is as good as it gets, and would be the exact same at any Saab dealer (so you might as well go to the most convenient one). I'm picking up my 9-3 Saturday, same exact car as yours except color (i don't want 17 " wheels either. . it does snow where I live). I promise to write a thorough review after a few days of hard driving.
    How much did you put down on the car? Your total upfront was $3102 so I'm curious what all that includes. My company is the same way, they buy alot of vans, trucks, and SUVs from GM and Ford so all employees are eligible for GMS pricing and Ford's X-plan pricing. Who knows, we may work for the same company. You guys aren't headquartered in Chicago are you?
  • bassoonbassoon Member Posts: 7
    Looking for a good mid size.. down to Saab 9-3 ( might be too expensive) the volvo s60 (would consider s40) the honda accord EXL or Camry XLE.. most important factors.. reliability, safety and cost.. any thoughts on these? I have a volvo V40 wagon and I really like it.. the cars are close in price.. any thoughts on which to stay away from or whether the increased price for saab or volvo are worth it??