Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• louis6louis6 Member Posts: 1
    Some observations about Saab from a new owner with no past experience with the brand. I spent much time researching this car and others; I noted the comments, both good and bad, regarding the Saab. Except for a limited number of cars I not sure there is much difference in the reliablity between any of them including Honda and Toyota; they are all very complex. My last two were an Audi and a Volvo. I had all kinds of problems with the Audi until I stopped using a dealer in central California, the quality of their mechanics was questionable, and began using a dealer in Beverly Hills. I'm not trying to impress anyone but they sold and serviced a lot of Audis. I had few problems with the Volvo until 170,000 miles, I think the dealer that I used had an excellent service department, with very good but pricey service..

It's may opinion, non scientific, that the service department of your dealer, any manufacturer, or independent mechanic, will have more to do with your satisfaction than the any other factor; I know, a very old fashion point of view.

I purchased my car, 2006 9-3 Areo, in Sherman Oaks (L.A.) and have had no problems.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    ... but I do need something that is at least reliable.

Then you should probably look elsewhere. I'm sure the 2006's have improved on the first/second year models, but all that might mean is that it's gone from very unreliable to just unreliable. The track record of the model and the brand doesn't suggest you'd get something that's reliable. Especially after you've owned a CR-V.

Don't get me wrong -- I mostly enjoyed my 2003 9-3. It was fun, had strong brakes, some nice features, a surprising amount of room for a family (especially in the trunk). But there were plenty of dealer visits to fix one thing or another, as well as "just live with it" resignations to avoid having to go to the dealership. It also didn't help that the local dealership (Barrier Saab in Bellevue, Washington) had weak service. (Barrier has since shut down its Saab dealerships, but I've heard plenty of negative things about the level of service at other Barrier brand dealerships too.)

I gladly returned the vehicle at lease-end. I would never keep the vehicle past the warranty period, as parts and service seem to be quite pricey -- and will probably be needed more than many other brands.

If you still want one, I would check opinions of the Saab dealership service departments around you. Your experience will be worse if they aren't good.
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    "The service department of your dealer, any manufacturer, or independent mechanic, will have more to do with your satisfaction than the any other factor".

I have, fortunately, never owned or leased a real lemon from any manufacturer, but my level of satisfaction has inevitably been directly related to the quality of the dealer. I have owned/leased three Saabs in the last 12 years, the last two receiving excellent warranty and post-warranty attention from competent people. The positive attitude I have to Saabs probably stems from these experiences, and has overcome the somewhat negative impressions left by the first dealer (who subsequently closed). However, the most dedicated and competent service came with my Maserati -- I know, because I did all the work myself!
  • gormerodgormerod Member Posts: 19
    I understand what you are saying when you refer to Saab owners as a polarized group. Most of the complaints I read came from 2003 model year 9-3 owners, the first year for the redesign (though a recent negative posting in this forum came from a 2005 9-3 Aero owner.)

Some are not happy since GM took over because Saab has always been so unique. However, reviews on this web site (last year) said that the new design on the GM platform was a large improvement over the old design.

I own a 2005 9-3 Arc, 2 litre engine, manual transmission. At this point I have 19,000 miles and no problems. I would say that on average the more recent models will have better reliability. So, I think you would be OK buying a Saab so as long as you go to a dealership with a good track record (which is true of buying any make.) However, I am a little concerned about the V6 engine being built in Australia. You might be better off with the 2.0 litre 4 - it is built in Germany and has been in production long enough to work out any kinks. My 2.0 litre has plenty of power.

Good luck!
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    Compared to my 2002 9-3 hatchback, the current 9-3 is slightly quieter, more nimble and has less turbo lag (based on my experience with a service loaner). The driving experience is probably more middle-of-the-road, and appeals to a wider range of drivers than did the 2002.

Interior finish is another matter. My 5-year old "wood" dash and leather seats look new. The interior door panels could be from a luxury model. When I sit in a showroom-new 2006 Saab I am inevitably disappointed with the interior, though I am not really impressed with the interior quality of any current brand in my price range -- VW meets my standards (but you pay more).

Saturn's new Aura similarly has the potential to be a great seller, but interior quality failings remind us it is a GM product.
  • hydrasportshydrasports Member Posts: 23
    These cars have good engines and transmissions I have the 5 speed manual. The chasis dynamics are good so the car is fun to drive. They are built to run hard a 6.5 quart crankcase is big for a 2.0 litre motor I have not been happy with the interior build quality; too many plastic noises and buzzy vibrations. It's all a trade off. I guess the interior was where they had to cut costs to give you the engineering of the other components for the price they sell the car. If you want a 9-3 would buy a 2.0 lightly optioned because of the interior build quality.
  • gholstgholst Member Posts: 2
    Three years ago I bought an '04 9-3 aero because it was exactly the car I wanted and there was no other. I actually really liked its styling, found it to be fun to drive and even felt there was still some uniqueness to the brand regardless of any GMizing (after all, I don't care what platform a car is sprung from as long as I like the whole package). I was exactly the customer GM was looking for, a first time Saab buyer who really wanted one of their cars. I was so enthused about the car, I ignored it's many malfunctions, tolerated the countless dealer visits, and defended the car on forums.

In the end after being stranded twice, having the transmission replaced after less than 2 years, and never being able to get dealers to resolve the constant rattles (mechanical sounding rattles- not just interior annoyances)I finally gave up. I realized one day my wife's 6 year old Jeep for all its flaws felt more reliable and solid than my less-than-three year old 30k+ "luxury" car and that I had actually been losing a lot of time and energy on an inanimate object. I finally cut my losses (read huge depreciation) and moved on. I hope others who currently own 9-3s have a better experience, but based on mine (and others I know who have 9-3s) I just had to warn you.

ps. Be sure to check the quality rankings- I've lived with plenty of cars that'd be considered middle of the pack but next to last means real trouble to me.
  • sidvsidv Member Posts: 64
    I empathize with you. I was also a first time Saab buyer (04 Arc) who liked the styling and was enthused about the car, at least for the money vs. the competition.

It sounds like you had a similar experience to me, except yours was much worse. I was stranded once as well and had to deal with numerous electrical glitches and minor problems over the years. When the 04s were new, I recall Saab being middle of the pack-it's our cars that have driven that rating to near the bottom. Just goes to show past results are not a predictor of future performance.
  • skmcesskmces Member Posts: 6
    what's up everyone...we bought a 2006 93 and so far so good, i didn't care for the svc staff, but went to another in Hunt Valley, MD, where they were outstanding. The only problem we had with our 93 was a software glitch related to the sunroof. Once that was fixed, we have had no issues, 12k in 11 months...one thing I would suggest - change the oil at 7500 not 10k..you'll have to pay for the in between oil changes b/c saab only covers 3 i think
    Saab dealer would not change our oil the first time until I think 13-14K. That is the point where the oil life indicator indicated 95% (I think) used. It's a lease so I went with it, had I bought it no way. Buyers of used Saabs.
  • erobertseroberts Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 9-3 SE. Love the car! It's the perfect size; love the zoom that the sport mode gives me; I love all the features I have. The problem? My engine light literally comes on every month. My warranty was up about a year ago and I have paid at least $5000 in diagnostics and repairs since then - the throttle body, valves, direct injection, wheel problems, it seems to never end. The worst part is that sometimes the engine light is serious and sometimes it's just a sensor. But I never know until I pay the $100 a pop for the diagnostic. My husband absolutely hates my car and thinks it's a POS. I really love it except that it's unreliable. Now we're expecting our first baby in March and it broke down on our 300 mile trip home for the Thanksgiving holiday. He's making me get rid of it. If only it would stop breaking down!!!! Now I'm going to have to get a minivan or something just as bad. :cry:
  • starbirdstarbird Member Posts: 38
    I had the same problem with my 9-3 2003. However, after looking around and almost buying a Passat, I ended up with a 2006 9-3 Sportcombi. So far its been the most reliable Saab I've bought. Plus the extra room in the back is extremely useful. If you're looking at something as large as a minivan, then why not look at a 9-5? Its got a huge trunk?

Warren Brown seemed to like the Saturn Outlook as an minivan alternative, and I wouldn't be surprised if a Saab version turns up sooner or later.
  • danb5danb5 Member Posts: 2
    I have the opportunity to buy (lease) an AERO for $1500 more in drive off than a regular 2.0T. I am intereested in opinions of those of you who have sweated over that choice and how you arrived at your decision. I am thinking of handling performance as well as speed differences, perceived or real.

I only mention the cost differnce to give you an idea of what sort of financial sacrifice I would be making.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dan
  • gormerodgormerod Member Posts: 19
    The $1500 difference sounds good, but the V6 is built in Australia (the last time I checked.) The 2.0 is built in Germany (probably an Opel engine) and it has been in production for a while. I would trust a german built engine over one from Australia.

My 2005 9-3 Arc has the 2.0 which delivers plenty of power. My vote would be for the 2.0, unless you are interested in Aero options that are otherwise not available.
    I just ended my lease on an 04 Arc which had the 2.0T engine. I considered an 07 9-3 Aero as a replacement and drove it. I have to say the Aero's motor is quite nice, smoother than the 2.0T and less turbo lag. It didn't feel that much more powerful to me however, but the saleman said it really comes alive at high speeds and we were fairly limited in our test drive due to conditions. My only real concern on the Aero is worse mileage, same size tank and after 3 years of great range I wasn't looking forward to that. I do not care for the metallic interior trim on all the Saab Aeros and wanted a bigger car so I went with a 9-5 2.3T 9-5 SC but I definitely would have taken the Aero over the 2.0T for so little more money. Unless you really aren't into music make sure you get the premium sound if you go with the 2.0T (standard on Aero). For a lease I don't think you need be concerned with engine durability issues based on origin so much.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The 2.0 is built in Germany (probably an Opel engine) and it has been in production for a while. I would trust a german built engine over one from Australia.

IMHO, I wouldn't worry about the origin of the engine. The Japanese mills and robots building the engine really don't know where they're working.
  • autoeduautoedu Member Posts: 47
    Look like Saab is coming out with best line-up ever, if successful GM will be on the road to recovery

9-3 vs 3series
    9-5 vs 5series
    9-9 vs 7series

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40042

9-3 Sedan - Born from Jets, founded by 16 aircraft engineers is really true with this A-pillarless, smooth roofline aerodynamic design
    9-3 Convertible - WOW - the legend continues
    The 9-3 convertible looks awesome! The sedan is mostly nice too, but the roofline seems a little odd at first glance. Definite Aero X showcar influence, but I thought that roofline was odd as well. I like the blacked out pillars.

The 9-5 sedan is generally nice, but the styling at the trailing edge of the rear doors could be handled better. I really hope Saab gets the 9-5 and 9-3 right before devoting resources to the 9-6, 9-9, etc. I was glad AWD was mentioned as being in the future, it's badly needed to be competitive. Great post, thanks.
  • starbirdstarbird Member Posts: 38
    They look like something that some artists knocked up to try and imagine what the next 9-3 will look like. The 9-3 is suppose to get a face lift next year. I'm not sure the current platform can receive the upgrades stated in the picture.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Since you wanted a separate 9-3 convertible discussion, let's comment about it there instead of here. autoedu, "Saab 9-3 Convertible" #1, 28 Nov 2006 6:11 pm.

:)
  • rongrong Member Posts: 9
    Does anybody know where I can get a front spoiler. It is the piece below the front fog light. The dealer claims that I would have to replace the whole part. Is it easy to do? the dealer ask for over $200 for the part $125 to paint it in black and that excluded the labor which is $97 an hour.

This is a lease car and my lease is up in August. I would go with a used part if I can get one.

Thanks
  • saabhistorysaabhistory Member Posts: 7
    The Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan and the 9-5 appear to be the safest in their respected classes.

These crash tests show how far Saab has come and also how much they are set apart from other manufacturers in unparalled safety.

http://www.saabhistory.com/2006/12/22/iihs-crash-test-saab-9-3-sport-sedan-2004/- -

http://www.saabhistory.com/2006/12/22/iihs-9-3-sport-sedan-crash-test-2003/

http://www.saabhistory.com/2006/12/22/iihs-9-5-crash-test-footage-2002/

There is even footage of the Saab moose test that Saab continues to do even today.

http://www.saabhistory.com/2006/12/22/saab-900-moose-test-footage-1997/

Let me know what your thoughts are.
  • kcm63kcm63 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 9-3 sedan. Lately there's been a noticeable smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin. Have had it checked out by mechanic who has gone over the entire exhaust system and found no problems or leaks. Has anyone experienced this problem or know of a possible cause?
  • bird7705bird7705 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone ever had a problem with their fuel gauge not registering that there's fuel in your Saab? I have an '04 9-3 Linear with 30K miles on it and after I just fueled up today, my gas light is on and my D.T.E. says I have 0 miles left. Unsure if this is a common issue... Thank you.
  • ukjimukjim Member Posts: 63
    This is not the same issue, it sounds as though your gas tank sensor may be broken but I had a problem on my '04 ARC convertible where the gauge showed full but the DTE was way off (95 miles DTE with a full tank!), pushing the "clear" button solved the problem.
  • bird7705bird7705 Member Posts: 2
    I've had that problem with my D.T.E. being off as well. Thankfully I'm still under warranty and get the fuel module fixed at no cost to me. Thanks!
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    My wife is a manager at a major used car retailer. She gets the oppotunity to demo a few cars each month and we have had a 06 Aero for the past week.

The car is a stunner in my book. I loved walking up to it. It was black over grey and had less than 7000 miles on it. If you only had to look at the car you would be pleased enough.

But oh that V6 turbo. What an engine. Buttah I tell you. It's not that fast off the line as someone said in a recent post, but above 60, it was unstoppable.

Now for the bad though. It creaked and groaned like crazy. Very disappointing actually. I was very disappointed in that aspect of the car. Especially since the ride was actually very smooth and the tires were quiet. It really made no sense why it should be so creaky at such a low mileage. Our much firmer riding Accord makes much more tire noise but the interior is creak and rattle free.

And the stereo simply rocks. Even without XM.

I really love all other aspects of the car though. The only problem I saw was a leaking fog light.
  • autodudeautodude Member Posts: 8
    My Saab 93 is approaching 70K miles and has generally been problem free. It looks as new as the day i bought it in 2003. I like its instrument panel better than the newly modified one in the 2007 version. Servicing the car is not cheap though. Besides paying the +$500 for a major service, you'll need to not just replace the brake pads, but also replace the whole brake disc, costing another +$500 for each: front and rear brakes. If only they would last a long time!
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I seem to recall that saab brakes are identical to saturn brakes. This was definitely true for the 9-5 and the LS, so one could save a chunk of money. Certinaly, an independant mechanic could probably do your brakes for probably half what you're currently paying. I see saab brake discs online for $75 each, and the pads for $53 per axle.

How long are your brakes lasting?
    Awesome - thanks dhanley for the money-saving advice! I'll have to research for a reliable & reputable mechanic. Could you pls. let me know what website sells the saab parts at those prices?

To answer your question, I'll have to double check my invoices and get back to you later. For now...

... if my memory serves me right, my first brake replacement was at the 45K mile service for one of them (probably the front, i can't recall at this moment but will find out) ... i think this one will eventually be replaced again probably in a year (a recent dealer reported its wear and tear - i'll have to look it up).

The second brake replacement (for the other one: probably the rear) was changed at the 60K mile service. Both the dealer 60K service and brake job costs me over $1K.

Out of my 70K miles today, I'd say a majority of it (80%) is freeway miles (commuting to work). I'm no mechanic, but it just seems to me that the brakes should last longer than the 45K marker. Maybe my expectations are too 'toyota-centric'? Wife's Lexus had its brakes replaced at 60K marker (probably the front). What are the experiences of all you Saabers out there?

I've also had the front pirelli tires replaced (i think around the 40K marker, but again, i'll double check the invoice). I have a strong preference to Michelin tires (i buy them at Costco) which perception-wise, seems to last up to 60K or more.

I also had the Saab battery replaced around the 60K marker (since i had no choice - it wouldn't start...hehe)

Well, at least these expenses are for maintenance and NOT for repairs. I'm thankful that my Saab 93 has no mechanical and electrical problems that perhaps others have experience. It has truly been a reliable car! At this rate, I expect it to run reliably well into the 150K range.
    Well, i'm not sure if i can post links to car-parts sites on here. But i did a google search for saab brakes and the top hit had those prices. :)

It sounds as if your brake durability is more or less normal. I too have michelins from costco on my car.
    What would we do without Google? :)
    Also, I checked my invoices:
    Front brake replacement (pads and disc) at 46K miles.
    Rear brake replacement (pads and disc) at 60K miles.

Brake durability may in fact be within range for Saabs (perhaps longer for other mfrs?) It's understandable if the front brake pads lasted to 46K, but I would have expected the front disc to last longer than 46K.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I recently fell in love with saab (not chevy/subaru ;) ) when a brownish 9-3 zoomed past us on the way to denny's one night. It was IMHO BEAUTIFUL! I have no experience with saabs but some with swedes as we used to have a s60.

I have 4 questions regarding the 9-3.

1. A i read about the stereo and i wanted to know if the arc had a good sound. The linear scored a 5.0 from edmunds and they said it sounded like a boombox with low bass. Stuck between arc and aero.

2. Since stuck between arc and aero, what should i expect from either in terms of options. I want the cold weather package, a sunroof, and a decent stereo. I'm stuck between the Arc and aero because the aero's v6 gets less mpg than the 2.0t which i heard still had quite good oomph.

3. The nearest dealer for saabs is 9miles away. Yes its not far, but i want to get some inside info first which brings me to my next question.: What changers were made between 2004-2006. I know the 2007 got a new interior but i dont want to spend 2007 money... at least not yet.

4.Whats the difference between the 2.0t and the 2.0T?

Also on a side note, i find it cool that gm gave the 9-3 a type of four wheel steering!

Help appreciated! Deciding between all 3, the combi, the sedan and the convert.
    -Cj :)
    autoboy, i think you can answer most of your questions by going to saabusa.com and "building a car."

Question though: are you thinking of buying new, or used?
    I tried building the car and i came out the same way i went in: confused!

Ok put it like this: I think the 2.0T is the top choice since for 2007, a 250watt 12speaker audio system was added but i would like to know how it sounds. Edmunds gave the linear a 5.0 on its stereo evaluation and that was the 150watt 7speaker unit.

To answer your question, it seriously depends. There aren't many used saabs around here. Are they that good that drivers want to hold onto them or are the they that bad that the people are avoiding them??

But i did run across 5 9-3s on autotrader all priced between $15-$21k. But the thing is, I am turned off by the Linear thats why i say the ARC or AERO. 2of the 5 i found were linear. Sadly, non of which were the combi.

To sum it up, we may go used, most likely a 9-3 arc. But the 2007's interior looks sooo good and that smoke beige is soo "b-e-a-UTIFUL"!! We may just hold out to see what GM... has in store for saab. If the 9-3s interior looks anything like the `08 Malibu or 2007 saturn aura's then it'll be worth waiting for!!

I hate when all the cars I like get redesigned the following year! Edmunds predicts that the new 9-3 will be a 2008 model(Saab 93 homepage on insideline).
    -Cj :sick:
    While we're on the topic, changes i'd like to see on the next 9-3 include:

POWERTRAIN

at least 225hp out of the base engine (A better turbo added onto the 2.0?).
    a mid range model with 260hp(10extra horses out of the 2.8?).
    at least 300hp out of the top of the line (A turbo'd 3.6 or 3.4).
    Diesel engines anyone?
    The aeros 6speed automanual to go on all models.
    AWD option.(EVEN THE FUSION HAS IT!)

EXTERIOR

An optional hardtop for the convertible.(The g6s is ok but it uses to much space. a 3 fold should help)
    Panoramic sunroof like g6/aura even in wagon
    A lift glass on the wagons ala 3series
    Cornering lights
    The green house extended to to c pillar more

INTERIOR

Softer head restraints
    An interior a class above the 2008 malibu
    Folding rear seat in convertibles ala 328i cabrio
    Heated/vented seats
    More interior colors
    passenger lumbar

Did i cover everything?
    -Cj a new saab enthusiast. OMG, i never knew it had rear wheel steering :D !!

Watch this video!!
    Ok, well, there's no longer linear/arc/aero, there's the 2.0T and the areo ( v6 ).

You might want to look into the 60th anniversary package. http://www2.saabusa.com/anniversary/ It comes with the upgraded sterio and a lot of other good stuff for not a whole lot of money.

I believe thaty next year, the 9-3 gets AWD. The engines can also produce the power you want with mild(software) updates.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can post links to just about anything as long as you aren't promoting something in which you have a specific interest. So yes, you can post links to car-parts sites assuming you don't own them. ;)
    Wouldn't it be nice if the CTS and 9-3 could share platforms. This motortrend comparison of the saab 93, acura tl, cadillac cts, and infiniti g35 knid of help me say this. The 9-3 is a great car with minor flaws. A stronger engine with a turbo and RWD could bring it up to 335i standards. Anything like that would be good for saab and Great for GM!

The purpose for this is that the saab gets marked down by its bad weight distribution vs the cts' 52/48 mix, and bad steering. Both plusses of the cts. A chassis swap, a more powerful engine and new styling should make this car a killer deal! Its o7 interior refresh is a great start!!

-Cj
    unless saab makes a rear engine front drive roadster... Totally unique. If honda, maker of great FWD vehicles goes all out their way to make a RWD roadster, saab shouldn't be that bad with one. A saab Sonnet with 9-5 styling seems cool! give it a power top and its a seller. Price: $25k?

Coming to mind, the next 9-3 may have a metal roof like the g6s.

Instead of the AWD 9-7x, it should be like the equinox!! The 9-9x can be a lambda.

Saab is doing ok with its FWD vehicles and 4WS Saabs new slogan: Saab_"Unique by design" as well as born from jets. The jets thing is getting old gracefully but still aging. Its good to have but not on every thing. Maybe something here, something there, but not too much. Still, its just my opinion.

BTW, the 9-3 is so great, GM took it and made the cadillac BLS. Also a fantastic car. But were my other next 9-3 ideas good?

-Cj :P
    Well, autoboy, if people want a 9-3 that drives like a CTS or a 335i--why not just buy those cars? In particular, the CTS is not that expensive, and is a GM product, if you care about that... As for making a car as drivable as the 3 series--well, gm's been trying to do that for a looong time now. The CTS is still pretty wide of the mark.

If saab wants to retain any identity at all they need to produce saabs, not bad copies of other cars. Saab's safe, turbocharged, FWD, eco-friendly, and practical. The challenge is to build a great and competitve car that's still a saab. If we can just get an audi, acura, merc, bmw, caddy, lexus, etc, why buy a knockoff of one of these?
    I for one hope that Saab do NOT replace the rag top with a hard top. I shopped the market for a 4 seat convertible that could also hold the luggage associated with all four seats filled. Audi A4, BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C Class, Volvo, etc. None of these cars offered a trunk with as much usable space as the Saab. With the exception of the Mazda MX5, making the roof a hinged steel one usually only reduces trunk space further, especially with the roof stowed. To be honest I have not checked out the Pontiac, but it was not available when I bought my 9-3 plus I wanted a more upscale ride.
    Saab can still be saab with these changes. I just tweaked the "Born from jets" theme a little and added "Unique by design" which is also true of saab unless you think that that has also changed.

I think that my changes were only to help saab stay competitive in the sport sedan markets. I addressed many of the complains about saab. I personally dont care for RWD but only suggested it as thats whats "hot" now. If the weight can stay low with more power added. What about this to keep it saab:

Saab using a twin turbo 3.0v6 or twin turbo to the current 2.8v6? That should run well with the 335i models and 306hp rivals. At least adding AWD should be an option. See, i'm tweaking my tweaks! Also, i recommend SAAB ad LSD if the twin turbos are used.

-Cj
    True the hard top design takes space but its added secure feelings is worth it IMHO. For the "old schoolers", wouldn't it b like replacing the t-tops with fabric and now going back. Or is that in reverse...

-Cj ;)
  • hbc75hbc75 Member Posts: 37
    I drive an '04 9-3 Arc. Of recent I have been experiencing an undercarriage scraping sound when I go over any dips in the roadway. It seems to "bottom" out in the front left wheel well. I have inspected the car from sight, and don't see anything that appears to be out of place. Could this be something wrong with my shock? I am concerned, as I am almost out of warranty 48K here. I don't even know if that would be covered under warranty. Anyone had any similar experience or have insights to what this possibly could be? Thank you, HBC
    Maybe the tire is rubbing on something when the shock compresses?

It seems unlikely that the car itself is bottoming out.
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    Could be the front bumper scraping the road. We have an '04 Aero Convertible that scrapes the bumper every time we pull out of my driveway. My other cars don't do this, so the bumper must be low and the overhang must be long.
    The 9-3 does have a low overhang, but it still shouldn't scrape on a bumpy road, and the fact that it's on one side also indicates that it's a problem, not the way things are intended to be.
    I am sure no one from saab reads these postings but I am wondering what the plans for saab in the usa are. The closest dealer to me, saab of south bay, just closed I now have to drive 26 miles to santa monica to get to the next closest dealer for service. In LA traffic that is easily 1.5 hr drive at the wrong time of day and a 1hr drive at best. So Cal is the largest market for "import" cars in the US and they just made sure I never buy another one as long as I live where I do, it is just too inconvenient. I am sure others in the south bay, an affluent market with the Palos Verdes Peninsuler being a very upscale residential area (dealers for most other luxury auto manufacturer being local), will feel the same way.
  • hbc75hbc75 Member Posts: 37
    Thought I'd let you know what the "scraping" was. Wasn't that at all. They had to replace the sway bar bushings. So mystery solved, the issue has ceased.

:)