Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    The 9-3 and the S60 are smaller than the Camcords.

Both the 9-3 and the S60 earn high marks for safety. The 9-3 has only been on the market for a few months (but then the same is true of the Camcords), so relibility predictions are more a matter of faith than fact. All I have read about the 9-3 make me feel it will be a reliable car.

You did not mention either performance or fun as a motivating factor. The 9-3 and S60 are more expensive than the Camcords because performance costs more. People who are willing to pay more for performance cars do so because that is one of the things they enjoy in life.

There is nothing wrong with having interests other than driving. If what you want is a car that will predictably and safely take you and your family wherever you want to go, then stick with the Camcords. If you are looking to do some edge of the seat driving, get the 9-3 with the sport suspension -- the S60 is not near so fun to drive.
  • mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    Here's what I put down on the lease. It was $3096.18, not $3102 as I previously posted (multiple scenarios and multiple sheets of paper...)
    First Pmt 387.28
    MV Fees 88.90
    Doc Fee 125.00
    Down Pmt. 2,495.00

Total: 3,096.18
    I'm not headquartered in Chicago. I'm in Parsippany, NJ. This is the first time I ever considered the GMS pricing because I was never interested in driving something like a Lumina, etc.
    Note to RGC220 - I hope you got the car today. I'm still waiting...
  • rgc2200rgc2200 Member Posts: 37
    Saturday, 930am steel grey/grey interior. liked it better than black (2 of my prior 3 saabs were black). I plan on alot of owner's manual reading, and driving tomorrow. I'll report back, I promise. Have to sell 4 blizzaks on 2000 9-3 steel rims/wheel covers sometime this winter. Was told by Saab not to use steel rims on the new 9-3. My old 9-3 was better than any 4X4 with those tires.
    20 years of driving nothing but Saabs, and they are getting better. drove all over today in my brand spanking new steel grey launch/touring/heated seats 9-3, on a gorgeous 65 degree sunny day. Ran lots of errands, highway and city, brought 210 cm skis for a tune up (trunk plus pass through), had 3 passengers . . well you get the point. Its a wonderful car. Very sharp looking (I was getting stares from all directions). Came off the lot with 2 minor issues (only one key available, 2nd one needs programing: and the "source" button on the steering wheel is upside down! both noted by the dealer, and to be fixed when on-star is installed sometime in December). Drove my 2000 9-3 5 door hard to the dealer, and the comparison is sad. The new one has to me little to no torque steer, is much stiffer around turns, seems significantly larger in the cabin, and turbo lag is really gone. While not the fastest car, this had surprising pickup, and felt lighter than my old 9-3. The clutch is light as a feather, 5 speed much tighter and more pleasant to drive then the A4 I test drove, and instrument panel laid out nicely. Seats are still fabulous. I'm 6'4'', and have lots of head room, and my 11 year old can sit behind me (well not for a 5 hour trip). Garage door opener programmed the first try, mirror has a compass (I use those!) and there is alot more storage around the driver (for cell phones, sun glass cases, gum, chargers.. your palm, what ever). Cruise control is intuitive, nice accel/decell features without moving your foot. Trunk is VERY large, convenient, fits lots of stuff, and seats fold down real easy. My small disappointments/suggestions: the fancy cup holder out of the dash doesn't really work for the 2 things I tried: a 12 oz coke can, and a medium soft drink from a fast food place. It seems very flimsy. The plastic stoppers inside the ring clutch the container, and make it difficult to put down/up. maybe this will loosen up. I used the between the seat cup holder (much more stable, and convenient). The dash computer seems pretty useless. It sits with the date and time (my old one had temperature too. .this one you have to scroll for that!) And the big infortainment screen, when the radio is on just gives you the station, and options to go to presets and look at your stations. This kind of bugged me. It is nice when you have a CD on, and you go to change tracks and it lists the title of every song on that CD. Maybe when onstar is hook ed up, and the phone function is operational this screen will be more useful. I'm a little disappointed with the stereo (cranking some springsteen today) perhaps its the speakers. I might have to upgrade those independently. And last, the arm rest seemed to irritate my arm a bit (cloth). not springing for this small area to match with leather was stupid. The interior is fine, a little too much plastic, but for a linear line it looks good. Enough from me for one day. O yea, they encourage 90 octane or above. I think I was told 87 is fine before. Not a big deal.

Would I buy it again? absolutely. it was fun cruising around all day.
  • indydocindydoc Member Posts: 2
    enjoyed reading the messages being sent from the last few weeks. Finally decided on a new 9-3...cosmic blue(which looks incredible) and all options. Considered A4 and G35. Car feels like it has much more power than hp rating would suggest. Other car is a 2000 Infiniti I30 with 230 hp. Saab moves out faster and is much better at passing on expressways. Agree with rgc about cupholders. Base stereo is not bad, but I still have a longing for the 300 watt system, which I thought was supposed to be on the Infotainment 2 sytem, but actually is not. ( more about that if anyone wants to know). Certainly, compromises are always made when trying to decide on a new car, but no regrets so far.

Oldsman.... Please,please go drive the car and quit tormenting yourself. The Indy dealer has about 15 in stock in all colors if you feel like making a 5 hour trek.
    my dealer had a few of those "cosmic blues". they are beautiful. i think you picked a great time to get a saab. i've always loved the unique character of the car, though it usually came at a price. Infortainment system: I was told the launch package had infortainment 2 in early 10/02.On the Saab website, the launch package highlighted said infortainment 2. When I tried to define infortainment 2, you could only find it under the vector/arc audio section: 300 watts. I assumed the launch had this system. I e-mailed Saab via the website, and got a personal call from them admitting the web site was incorrect. You get an Infortainment system as part of launch, not I-2. This is the base 150 watt system, but with the infortainment 2 interface (ie the big LCD screen, steering wheel controls, phone tied in with onstar etc.) Is that what you understood, Indy? The system is OK, as above. The 300 watt system tested in Europe is supposed to be one of the top audio systems in any car.
  • indydocindydoc Member Posts: 2
    That is exactly what I understood. I made the same rounds as you did about the confusion regarding the stereo, and received the same phone call. I was also told that the interior was still set up to house the 13 speakers and that Saab was considering adding the top of the line system as an option for the linear once the up-line models are released. This remains just speculation and probably would add close to $1000 since all of the current speakers in the car would be replaced as well as the additional 6 new ones including 2 subwoofers apparently.
    Congrats. The blue is very nice. A trip down to Indianapolis might be kind of pleasant this time of the year.
  • bassoonbassoon Member Posts: 7
    looking for a good midsize car with reiability safety and price all important.. The cars I have narrowed down to are the saab 9-3, the volvo S60 or S40 or honda accord.. maybe even the camry..The saab and volvo are much more expensive.. are they worth it? I like the s40 as well as the s60.. it is less expensive and the toyota and honda are cheapest.. and quite nice.. Are the european cars worth the extra price? What do the saabs lease for in NY .. anyone know a good dealer?
    Great review RG! About the cup holder, I read somewhere that it was designed for a "Big Gulp". I guess it will work fine if we drink out of coffee-can sized cups!
    Question about brake dust...I'm replacing an A4 with the Saab (if it's ever delivered..). The A4 has a terrible brake dust problem. I'm talking about front wheels coated within a week after washing (that's why you see so many on the road with totally black front wheels). It drives me nuts. In your 20 years of Saab experience, has it also been a chronic Saab problem?
  • hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    I request car buying information from consumer report and found out that current "Launch Package" will be replaced by Driver's package at next spring. And more it only cost $975 for driver's package. But this current Launch cost about $2595. Is there anyone know why? Thanks.
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    1. The Saab website says the base linear car comes with 15" wheels, yet I have seen a photo of a sticker on a base car that shows the price w/o any options, but the car itself has the 10 spoke 16" wheels. Anyone know why this is the case? The car did NOT have the launch package based on the MSRP I saw on the sticker.

2. Are the sport package 17" wheels the same as shown in most promotional photos of the Saab? Or are those only available on the Vector model?

3. There appear to be body differences (stance, slight differences in front fascia/spoiler and rocker panel extensions, etc) between the Linear and promotional photos I'm seeing. Am I correct in this? The base car (I've seen some for sale on Ebay already) looks good, but not as aggressive as the photos I'm seeing.
    I'll take a crack at some ? First brake dust. . not nearly the problem audi and bmw owners have. I periodically had to wipe carefully the alloys. Everyone I know with a beemer has to do it every 2 weeks. Saab does much better. I haven't heard anything about the post-december linear options. maybe at saab.net you can get that answer (greater traffic).
    Bruce's questions are easy. Saab had trouble getting 15 " tires in time. . something with the supplier. SO they are putting the 16" wheels on all base models (if you can find a base model) I think until january. The picture you are seeing in ads is a linear with the sport package, and those 17" wheels are the alloys all the cars have, that have this package. Each dealer is getting cars, usually with launch, touring, heated seats +/- sport (30% with to my eye) +/- manual (about 1:5 is a manual on my dealer's lot)The base car does have a different side and front panel profile. The sport package looks similiar to all nonbase 9-3's, except with the tires.

Now I've got to go look for a very thin, all metal coffee cup that will fit in that fancy holder!
  • simon97simon97 Member Posts: 5
    I hear the ETA on the Arc/Vector is Jan '03. Has anyone else heard that? I really liked the reviews that RGC and Indy gave. I was pretty much set, but that helped confirm it. I want to wait for the bigger engine. My understanding is that the ARC is going to also have memory seats, power passenger seats, wood trim on the dash, the 300 watt system and it wont have that cheesy cloth armrest or door panels. It may seem picky, but those are the reasons I havent gotten the Linear yet. I also see that GM is running 0% if you take delivery by 01/02/03. Does anyone know if that's a 3yr or 5yr deal? Is the 9-3 included? Thanks for all your input.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    3yr.

5 yr rate is 3.9
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Was at dealer over the weekend and he said they would begin gettng Vectors in end January first of February...Here' an interesting article on the 9-3's popularity...Might have a wait for Vectors...

http://www.motorcities.com/contents/02J6H190212818.html

They really look nice...
  • mjmorrowmjmorrow Member Posts: 15
    Hey just curious what your Money factor is? I am in the process of signing papers, and my payment is 440.00, 0 dwn, 700 out of pocket for a 48mn 15K lease with GMS pricing? My M.F. was 5% and residual was around 52%. Total price after discount was 28,753. Just wondering if I got a good deal or am getting shafted somewhere. If anyone can help.

Thanks
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Anyone out there, besides me, wondering if its worth the extra cash to move "up" to 9-5 vs 9-3? Space, options, etc. seem very similar; at least when other two models arrive in '03.

I haven't made final car decision to replace my current one but this lack of contrast seems apparent to me.
    I think you make a great point. The current 9-5 offers little in the way of extra space or amenities to recommend itself over the 9-3.

I am not certain when the new 9-5 is due. Until the new 9-5 comes along, Saab better be prepared for declining sales of the current 9-5.
  • sander1228sander1228 Member Posts: 7
    I test drove the linear this weekend and while I thought it had enough pep with good handling, I think Saab really fell short in some aspects. For one, the stereo which comes with the launch package has extremely poor sound quality in part due to no bass whatsoever in the rear speakers. This is not something difficult to get right. Secondly, the ceiling cover drapes and sags badly when you add the moonroof. Add very cheap cloth on the doors and arm rest and I feel like Saab just rushed this model into production. I was quoted 29,794 excluding 1000 rebate for a Linear with launch, heated seats, and 17"wheels which the dealer was willing to switch for me. For around 2,500 more(31,500). I feel that the BMW 325I offers more room, better build quality and an unbeatable drive. Anyone agree?
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    I test drove the linear this weekend and while I thought it had enough pep with good handling, I think Saab really fell short in some aspects. For one, the stereo which comes with the launch package has extremely poor sound quality in part due to no bass whatsoever in the rear speakers. This is not something difficult to get right. Secondly, the ceiling cover drapes and sags badly when you add the moonroof. Add very cheap cloth on the doors and arm rest and I feel like Saab just rushed this model into production. I was quoted 29,794 excluding 1000 rebate for a Linear with launch, heated seats, and 17"wheels which the dealer was willing to switch for me. For around 2,500 more(31,500). I feel that the BMW 325I offers more room, better build quality and an unbeatable drive. Anyone agree?
    Well, I do not agree about the room in the BMW over the Saab. Edmunds shows the Saab has more interior room in every dimension save rear headroom. The Saab has considerably more trunk space. In my experience, Edmunds is right.

I also do not think the 9-3 was rushed into production at all. It is a well conceived and executed car. I wonder whether you could ever spec a BMW to compare with the 9-3 at the price you quote. You can upgrade a stereo on your own -- and better than any factory job -- for a lot less than 2.5k.

The BMW is a very special car to drive. Front engine, rear wheel drive in many ways cannot be beat. Saab has always been about making front wheel drive cars. It does it as well as anyone. Saab offers an excellent alternative to drivers who prefer fwd.
    Thanks for your response Logic1. Granted, I can upgrade the stereo speakers in the rear for $150 but, why should I have to after spending 30K? I was basing this on principal. Minor details like the roof sag and bass in speakers don't say "attention to detail". While it is also true that rear wheel push cannot be beat by front wheel pull, I like the fact that you are saving 1,500 over BMW's AWD option here. The drive in this Saab is great and the breaks are exceptional. However, I am buying a car for the next 6-7 years and I wonder if the interior will be in one piece or in pieces by then. I just felt like the car's drive, safety and aesthetics and far surpass it's interior quality.
    Obviously car selection is controversial, and subjective. I drove the 325, and equally equipped to the linear (winter package, premium package at a minimum) the 325 was alot more $$, much smaller trunk/back seat and every other car on the road is a bmw. the dealers I wrestled with offered very little in discounts, and because of my occupation I need a car that can drive in the snow (so I'd need awdrive. . more $$). There is no doubt, the bmw is a pure joy to drive. I loved it. BUT there is something about the idiosyncratic nature of saab that I love. My lease was up in Nov, and I didn't want to wait for the arc/vector. The linear certainly wasn't rushed, and they clearly did a pretty basic interior, but with that being said, the 5 speed looks and feels great, the cloth on the doors is sharp, the controls are sharp, and the leather seats in looks, comfort are the best around. My moon roof is awesome, I'm not sure what "sagging" means. The stereo is a little disappointing, and I'll go to an upgrade stereo store, and price upgrading. I am fine with this horse power (the car responds beautifully) and the handling is better than any saab i've driven, and challenges the beemer. I've pushed it hard around hairy curves, and boy does it hug the road and not sway. The 9-5 linear is a little bigger, but not nearly as sharp as the 9-3. Saab is discounting those like crazy. If this is your first saab sander, it might be wise staying away from a new model for a year, unless you are close to a good dealer. I'm such a long term customer I get a loaner on short notice for anything (usually an automatic 9-5, so i have alot of experience driving them!) I've had the car 3 days, and really love the drive. . .and i haven't seen another one on the road yet!
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Went to a local auto show this weekend and was very eager to check out a 9-3. The one at the show was cosmic blue(very sharp color) with launch package, wheel upgrade package, heated seats, and was a manaul. It didn't have the touring package though. Sticker was right at $31K. The front seats were superbly comfortable and the driving position was excellent. The batteries on all cars at the show are disconnected so I couldn't adjust the seat, but still found it very comfortable. One question, does the 9-3 have an adjustable steering column? I couldn't find a switch or a lever for it. The interior was very nicely styled and my only complaints were the cloth on the door panels seemed rather low end(this has been mentioned before) and the carpeting didn't seem as plush as that in my Intrigue, but all in all I thought the cabin was very nice. The 17 inch wheels are sharp, but I could live with the 16 inchers and save a grand on the intial cost of the car. I do hope to test drive one soon so I can check out other things like the audio system and most importantly, how the car drives. Owners and leasees, keep the reviews coming.
    I'm not a Bimmer fan myself and when you start adding options up on one, your nearing the 35-40K mark. I kind of like the idiosyncracies of the Saab as well and I have yet to see one on the roads and this makes me want one more and more. I'd be happy with a Linear with touring package and heated seats. And after seeing one in Cosmic blue, I think I'd be willing to pay the extra for that.
    cosmic blue is gorgeous. a knock out. loved it. my package is perfect. manual, touring/launch and heated seats. you need nothing else. my salesman has an automatic 17" sport package. . he talked me out of the sport. he actually liked the handling better with 16" wheels. The steering wheel is VERY adjustable. there is a latch right in the middle at the base, pull it toward you (down) the wheel telescopes several inches in and out, and up and down (sorry for the X rated description). I have my seat adjusted low, and it feels great! speaking of options adding up. . audi A 4, mercedes 240 folding seats, ski pass through, all extra $$$. standard (and easy) in the saab. easiest folding seats you will ever see.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    While I agree the BMW is a nice car, it's far to common. It's like a yuppie Cavalier or Civic, way too many on the road. If I'm spending bigger $$ on a car I want something a little more interesting to look at in my driveway. I'll sacrifice and buy a stereo if that's what it takes. The 2 Saab owners that I know bot because they want good Euro without following the crowd.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    the 9-3 the way i would get it is like about 27.5k.....no way to get a BMW3 for anything close to that. Heck even two year old 3's are still up around 30g.

Plus here in MN the front drive is nice although I do prefer RWD. The 3 is available in AWD (if you have 40g).
    Well I am really excited about getting my 93. I pick it tonight, and it can't come soon enough. I have test drove the BMW, AUDI, ACURA, Benz-230 coupe, CTS, and recently the Saab 93. Out of all the cars I would say the 93 is at the top with CTS not far behind. I would have to agree with some of the comments, I do think the cloth is a little cheezy. But if it bothers you that much you can always switch it out later on. The saab has a very unique look. Where all the others look like replicas. Saab did a great job and the price is very good for this sports car. I will let you all know what I think after I drive it a few days.
    Thats for the info on the tilt steering wheel, I didn't look there. I used to the lever being on the left side of the column just below the turn signal. I guess thats another Saab idiosyncracy. BTW, I thought the ignition switch mounted on the center console was pretty unique. It would almost be a hoot to hand someone the key and tell them to start the car and watch them try to find the ignition:) I think I'll pass on the wheel package if I do the 9-3. I could also live without the launch package, but it seems from what I'm hearing most come with it. BTW, how does the stereo sound? I'm not looking for "thumping" bass, but I've got a Bose system in my Intrigue so I would like decent sound.
  • jdisanjdisan Member Posts: 28
    What gives? Car and driver, Road and track etc.. have done 2003 comparos for sports sedans, but the new saab 9-3 is never part of the competing pack - it's not even mentioned. Why is this? I've narrowed my choice down to looking seriously at 2003 9-3, and 2003 Infiniti G35. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts who has diven Both. (I have - and with the assumed additional power of the Arc - I am flipping back and forth.) also if anyone can find the saab compared against the others in its class (BMW, A4, IS300, G35 etc) - it seems they put the 9-5 in the mix however, but not the new 9-3 which I think is a closer fit to the space ) please let me know.
    Several '03 models, the G35 included, were launched as early this year as possible where they could still be called '03s. Consequently, the buff mags have had plenty of chances to drive and compare the G35.

The 9-3 has only been available for a month or so. I am sure it will find its way into the comparos, but not for a few months yet.

I think the new 9-3 will do much better against the group you list than the older 9-5.
    and by the way, I have driven my brother's a 330c and I have test driven the 9-3. I am not a qualified reviewer.

In my opinion, if your primary objective is a hard driving, thrilling car, than the 3 series is hard to beat. But if you have other criterea: storage space, passenger comfort, saving money and the like, the 9-3 becomes a very viable alternative. Remember, if you are into rwd, as well as the Saab drives, fwd is not the same experience.

These are both good, solid fun cars to own and drive. Your preference is going to dictate your choice, not what someone else says.
  • jdisanjdisan Member Posts: 28
    yes, the 330i is great but too small to drive business folks around in the back seat as I sometimes do. Makes sense on the comparo's - going to drive them back to back on friday that should tell all!~
  • shades80shades80 Member Posts: 53
    Had it for three weeks...prev car was a 95 bmw..present bimmer's have over boosted steering for me..even the 02 edition upgrade..plus way to expensive..dealer exp was bad..so i drove is300, audi a4, g35 sedan, 325 and 330ci..i didnt think i would like the 9-3, but i did instantly..no compromises..got everything on linear edition..love the steering, turbo is invisable and power is immediate, no body roll, none of the safety features are intrusive and the look is sporty and classy..dislikes are few..if you get the tire upgrade with the sport chasis, you will feel the cracks and dips and potholes of the road in the streets but on the freeways, you will fly..radio is fair...needs upgrade..will look into that..overall, love this car...p.s. this is the first saab i have ever driven..never considered them before i test drove the 9-3.
    I'm sure Saab is looking for more new buyers like you.

The old quirky Saabs had to go (though I didn't mind it). I love the new look. Hopefully the new 9-5 will be just as nice.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Love the new look too, just wish it was a hatchback (oops I said a bad word better wash my mouth out ; ^ ) Actually the only diff between a sedan and a hatch is the location of the trunk hinges - above the window, or below the window. They can have the exact same look and still have a hatchback.
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    It looks like a 325i would be more like $6,000 more expensive than a comparably equipped Saab 9-3. That's substantial.

The Saab is said to be bigger inside, and the stats seem to back that up. It also looks less like a subcompact than the 3.

Some of us have driven BMW's and know what it's like dealing with the little petty jealousies out there (keyed cars, getting cut off in traffic, nobody lets you in, etc) and prefer a more stealthy car. BMW's seem to really inspire "redneck rage" more than just about any other car. My wife had more than one incident with pickups trying to run her off the road in her 540i. I like the idea of a car that has most of the BMW attributes (handling, safety, styling, solidity) w/o the baggage.

If you think you have problems with the Saab base stereo.....well at least you can upgrade it. The BMW is difficult to upgrade, sounds just ok, and the AM reception stinks.

The BMW's are great cars, hard to beat in many areas, but they're starting to get overpriced in my opinion. $35,000 plus for what is essentially a Civic sized car is quite a bit.

Finally, remember that the current 3 series will be replaced with a new model in a couple of years, I assume. Come resale time, you may own the "old model". This could affect resale value to a point where the Saab may not be at such a disadvantage after all.
    When I test drove the 9.3, I was listing to the engine and never bothered to try the radio. I'm STILL waiting for delivery of my 9.3 this week. I see some complaints on this board about the sound quality. Just how bad is it? Does it sound like the AM radio in my old '61 Falcon, or is it just not super high audiophile quality?
    For the information starved...here's a review you might not have read:

http://www.in-drive.co.uk/index.cfm?lnk=07_2&reviewid=529

• firephoenix777firephoenix777 Member Posts: 59
    I'm considering a SAAB, either the new 9-3 or a used(maybe new) 9-5. Anyone here has driven both of them and can give me their experience with both cars? The things that I'm looking for are comfortable ride and power (responsive engine that doesn't need to rev the crap out of it for power, and be able to smoke japanese mod imports in drag race). Also, when you take the car for warranty repairs, does SAAB give you a free loaner? I always wanted a BMW 3-series. They're nice cars. But like some posts here mentioned, they are overpriced and popular like a civic. That's why I'm trying to be a first time SAAB buyer.
  • hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    Finally I went for the test dive of new Saab 93...tonight. It's odd, right. But I think it's less pressure to have enjoyful ride at the week day night. They even let me free to ride by my own so I can select my route to test the car..
    It's so special feeling to me the first time Saab experience. So I sign up the car for this weekend to pick up. I will share more after I live with it.....
    The output to the rear speakers is horrible. It actually sounds like an alarm clock radio. I asked the dealer about upgrading the stereo to the stock one for the ARC and he said he would get back to me. There is no bass from the rear so the front speakers which, are actually smaller have to compensate. I feel like this is something would have costed very little in production and would have satisfied many customers in the long run. Why should you have to spend the first week in your new car upgrading the stereo? Other than that my only complaint is the ceiling cloth sag and give in the roof when the moonroof is added. Also, if you slide you hand around the back of the ceiling panel (where the cloth meets the rear window) you'll find an odd amount of space or seam there. I thought this was a defect in the test model but, they were all that way. I also have to upgrade the arm rest because the cloth - mesh cover will not last and get dirty. While these are some negatives the car has a great feel and easy drive. The brakes are amazing and the look is refreshing. I'm sure they will change these few bad details next year.
    good to hear your review. I'm a 4 day owner. Shockingly, have not found anymore "quirks" that bother me (with all of my old saabs there was a quirk a day discovered for weeks). still need the ultimate coffee cup to fit the new holder (i'm trying starbucks next, that long thin stainless one) the stereo isn't terrible. its got alot of power, the 6 storage front load CD is terrific. switching from cd to radio to am-fm isn't difficult. The sound is good. not great. Speakers are key, and I might upgrade with or without a power boaster. there is a great place in my area that will do this, and if you are leased they will put back the factory equipment when the lease is up, and reintall the good stuff in your next car! dudly: got to get over the hatch. I drove 3 prior hatch back saabs in 83,91,00. This vehicle handles SO much better, and with seats folding down, ski pass through, biggest trunk in the class you still have alot of versatility. The beemer "rage" is facinating. No one ever treats a saab owner like that. that didn't enter in my thoughts. 777 if you buy/lease new, every dealer will honor the loaner program on a first come first served basis. Because most service is anticipated, you should plan ahead. I've always gotten a car. Drove all day yesterday in a downpour. . new wiper speeds are great.. climate control one touch of defrost with some humid fogging. . . gone. Still getting loads of stares. plenty of get up and go. The arc, with its power, wheels, stereo, wood accent, memory seats. . that will be an unbelieveable rocket ship. . .for now, i'm thrilled with the linear.
    I was able to get a quote of 32,390 for a 325I RWD with auto, moon and sport package. My quote from Saab with launch, 17 wheels (not the sport package)auto and heated seats was 29,794 less 1000 rebate = 28,794. That's a 3,810 difference including tax. So, I think 6K is a bit high. Granted if you want the AWD option add 1,400 to the cost of the BMW. With resale after 5 years being considerably higher (5K) on the BMW, this is something to think about. I agree that the 3 series will be due for a change by 2005 so this will come into play. Regardless, they are different cars with different pros and cons. I don't think there is that much of a difference in rear seating room either. I sat in the back and felt my knees cramped and when I got out it took some extra manuevering to get my feet out from under the front seat. There may be a inch more of knee room in the Saab than the BMW. My main interest in this car is the front wheel drive option with the change in style. It's good to see a different car in the driveway now and then.
    Well going on my second day with my new 93 and I love it. It's very different and I have to get use to the foreign operations. Being a GM loyal customer for 10 years you tend to get use to the automatic door locks, climate control (hit a button to turn off, not the fan button), and trying to get use to having the fog lights on whenever the headlights are on with out having to maually turn them on. As for the sound system, I also own a cadillac with the 250watt Bose, will have to upgrade the sound system on the saab. Other than that love it. Thinking out adding the dealer installed booster kit, that addes 30 hps, and 19lbs of torque. But we will see. I would have to say I enjoy reading all the good comments people are making. It's nice to own a car that people don't bash. As for a BMW...yeah its RWD and they are cool, but overpriced and overpopulated.
  • larryjorlarryjor Member Posts: 12
    My brother and I took a 15-20 minute test drive a couple of weeks ago in a Linear with the Wheel, Linear Pkg, and Touring Pkg. and we were both xxtremely impressed. Being Volvo fanatics for the past 30 years, I can say that this Linear was indeed well screwed together. The fit and finish, in our opinion, is very Audi-like. Firm sport suspension quite a contrast as opposed to our S80 T6. Very good room for us both (6'2" & 6'1"), ergonomics very fine, great trunk, very responsive acceleration. We like everything about the car and the fact that it has 3 yr, 36k free maintenance. We're going for the Vector with everything -- too bad about the DVD not being available until '04 -- including the Sentronic. After 33+ yrs of shifting, we are totally committed to the new automatics. CVT would have been better. Oh, well. The new 9-3 is going to do for Saab what the 850 and succeeding models have done for Volvo. I like the quirkiness (as in safe) of the ignition and the fob is really coool. Safety & value: that's BOTH Volvo and Saab!
    I'd really like to see Saab succeed finally. Ending the overly quirky designs helps for sure as I know my wife hated the old Saabs (her dad had one way back when). I showed her the new one and she loved it.