Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Sprinter

Comments

• mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    Gaffney, South Carolina and maybe Pooler, Georgia. I also believe they are a union shops, unlike the Japanese auto plants here in the US.

The Dodge Ramvans it replaced were made in Ontario. Real "Mericun vans those were. I'd rather have jobs in South Carolina than Canada.
  • markbunchmarkbunch Member Posts: 1
    They are ASSEMBLED in the South Carolina plant this is an approximate quote
    "to avoid tarriffs the BOX is shipped in one box, the Chassis in another" they are bolted together in south carolina...... I suppose that provides a minimal amount of jobs....wonder if it offsets the tarrifs lost, must not or they wouldn't be using it for that express purpose.

I didn't used to be such a BUY USA ONLY kind of guy.....but wake up and smell the coffee the manufacturing base is allmost extinct. I challenge you to pick up common items in your home and see how many say Made in the USA as opposed to Made in China etc. No kidding try it you will be suprised.

>Gaffney, South Carolina and maybe Pooler, Georgia. I also believe they are a >union shops, unlike the Japanese auto plants here in the US.
    >
    >The Dodge Ramvans it replaced were made in Ontario. Real "Mericun vans those >were. I'd rather have jobs in South Carolina than Canada.
  • beckyr1beckyr1 Member Posts: 1
    we had a little over 2000 mi on our 2005 sprinter and they started making a horrible noise.... grumbling.... we took it in to service and they put new rotors and ordered new brake pads... we drove the vehicle approximately 1 week now at 4000 mi and the same noise returned. Back to service, we were told that this is normal
    for Sprinters everything is wearing normal. I am not happy because we didn't take it off the lot making the noise. I think they have a problem and are covering it up. Anyone else experiencing same thing. I looked on comments and found only your message....so this does not make it normal in my mind.
    B
  • ahp691ahp691 Member Posts: 5
    My other work truck is a ford E450 box truck with the 7.3 diesel, it gets 9mpg and weighs about 14,000 pounds. the sprinter has a 14 foot hackney aluminum box. I just filled the tank again and I got 15 MPG. (I have a heavy right foot). The truck has now 1800 miles( 1500 of these miles were put on by the shippers moving the truck to the body plant then on to me). Will the mileage get better as the engine breaks in more?
    Problems I have noticed, the drivers door seems too bind when opening after driving on a rough road. you can hear the door move around like it isn't closed tight enough on a bumpy road, but it is closed tight. Also the brake pedal feels to low to me and seems to have a lot of travel. I am used to a higher pedal. I am getting into the bad habit of pumping the brakes to get a higher pedal. it just feels wrong. The brakes work fine and I am sure it is just a design thing. it is full of brake fluid.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I am not trying to get anyone to buy this vehicle. I just cannot believe the mileage on a 3 year old van. The claim is that it was traded on a new Sprinter. It has 359,944 miles, wow. Look for your self. I think the Dodge dealer is even surprised.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4555917803&category=621- 0
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    I know they are the same vehicles, but the van for sale is a Freightliner, not a Dodge Sprinter.
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    Just wondering if there are any significant differences between Sprinters marketed by Freightliner and Sprinters marketed by Dodge (besides the grille).
  • n_teslan_tesla Member Posts: 9
    The grill and the hubcaps are the only difference. The Freightliner web page shows more options than the Dodge site. I just took the Freightliner order codes for the ones I wanted, gave them to my Dodge dealer and got everything I wanted. Freightliner makes a big deal about late service hours and fast service. If you buy your Dodge from a "Business Link" dealer they say you will get "next open bay" service and a free loaner vehicle. So I don't see much of an advantage one way or the other.
  • racks05racks05 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in finding seat covers for our two 3 seat benchs and one 2 seater as well as the front two seats-who carries ones with head rests and room for the arm rests--I have arm rests on the rear seats on the end seats as well as the front two seats. in central california, please.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    DaimlerChrysler's Dodge brand is set to offer disabled customers a new option on its Sprinter full-size van. The Chrysler Group brand will pitch in $500 toward the cost of installing wheelchair lifts into vans for those customers as a part of the company's Automobility program, which was the first of its kind in the industry, Chrysler Group says. The Sprinter van is a version of a European van sold in the U.S. under both the Dodge brand and also DaimlerChrysler's Freightliner commercial brand. It offers a standard 2.7-liter turbodiesel engine and a five-speed automatic transmission, as well as antilock brakes and stability control.
  • eswifteswift Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

Are there any Canadians in this forum? I'm looking for a good source for used Sprinter vans and I'm having a bit of difficulty. I could buy one in the U.S. but I'd prefer to buy one in kilometres with Canadian currency. Any ideas? Looking forward to any responses or thoughts you might have.

Thanks so much,

E Swift
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I am interested in finding seat covers for our two 3 seat benchs and one 2 seater as well as the front two seats-who carries ones with head rests and room for the arm rests--I have arm rests on the rear seats on the end seats as well as the front two seats. in central california, please.

Try Discount Van & Truck
    We currently have a Ford Econoline to transport two people and up to 1,000 lbs of gear throughout New England. We drive it 20-25,000 miles per year.

I've speced out a Chevy Express van as a replacement, and it appears to be about $5,000 less than a Sprinter. The Sprinter will save about $800 per year in fuel costs. Will the increased resale value make up for the difference?
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Garandman, the folks in the Smart Shopper Forum might be able to answer that question.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Why do you think that? There isn't a single mention of the sprinter in all the threads. Isn't this the Sprinter forum?
    The Chevy Express has a very predictable depreciation curve due to its long experience in the used market. Conversely, it's tough to predict the future for Sprinter resale values. Chrysler has has trouble filling demand for new Sprinters and note that they don't have to advertise big discounts them to sell them. My bet/guess is the Sprinter will have higher resale.

However, If you are a owner operator you should drive both and decide which one you will be most happy driving. We bought ours because the Sprinter was more comfortable and had more useable space than the E-150. We drive similar miles in New England and that's a lot of "windshield time", so make certain you like what you buy.
    It's a suggestion, garandman -- there are a number of discussions where you can post your question to get maximum feedback, that's all. For example, there's currently a discussion of the impact of resale values of various vehicles in the Any Questions for a Car Dealer? discussion.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• alfred4alfred4 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 Dodge Sprinter for the purpose of having it modified so I can drive it from my wheelchair. It is being modified at this time.

Does this fit the criteria for the funding program described in #176?

If so, what it the procedure to do so?

Alfred
  • graylinergrayliner Member Posts: 39
    ["The Chevy Express has a very predictable depreciation curve due to its long experience in the used market. Conversely, it's tough to predict the future for Sprinter resale values."]
    I thought the stand-up headroom was the draw for a Sprinter, as opposed to a standard van.
  • sprinterguysprinterguy Member Posts: 1
    We convert on the Sprinter chassis daily, and havn't seen any substantial changes other than the nameplate. It does make a great Camper/ Workvan, and even the dual rear wheel version doesn't ride really harsh. (It does make a substantial difference if it has an interior installed though. The cargo version is quite noisy going down the highway.) Just took a trip from Indiana to West Virginia and back in one and was pleased in how nice it drove. My wife drove on the way back, and said she was also pleasantly suprised with how it drove. :shades:
    Alfred4, if you go to the Automobility Web Site, you'll find an explanation of the steps to take. Hope this helps :-)

• campergirlcampergirl Member Posts: 1
    Hey Sprinter Guy,
    I have been looking for a vehicle for my camping fantasies...
    Trucks w/ campers...van conversions...new...used...
    and a friend told me about the Sprinter and I said yuk to diesel...
    But, I hear diesel has improved (as far as pollution...smelll...)
    What do you know about that and can we convert the diesel to cleaner solution in the future..? I like the better gas mileage of the Sprinter...but, my real question is what do you do to "Convert" the Sprinter...does that mean into a camper van???
    Would love your input?

Campergirl in California
  • see2xusee2xu Member Posts: 3
    The Sprinter saga in the three NAFTA countries is kind of tangled. Initially, Sprinters were sold by Mercedes-Benz Canada under the M-B nameplate. This was not wildly successful. You will see some UPS Sprinters with the three-pointed star on the grille operating in the larger cities. Latterly, the Dodge version has been introduced. Freightliner Sprinters have never been sold in Canada, although there are some FedEx vans that were purchased by the parent and delivered in Canada.

Interestingly, in Mexico, Sprinter was introduced two years ago as a Mercedes-Benz and continues there as such, not a Dodge or a Freightliner.

I would say your chances of finding a used M-B Sprinter are pretty slim, given the small sales volumes. Perhaps a Dodge dealer demo would be your best bet.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    My understanding is that MB decided that marketing the Sprinter as an MB in the US and Canada was not the best idea. It was felt that the customers of plumbers, electricians, GC's, florists would not appreciate a "tradesman" showing up at their home in an MB - even if it is a commercial van. Hence, marketing it under the Freightliner and Dodge brands.

As for UPS, every Sprinter I see in the Boston area has had the Freightliner logo removed.
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    Yes, I saw the freightliner logo removed (also the dodge ram logo, save for the series designation on the side) on three UPS Sprinters that were being serviced at the local MB/Dodge dealer.
  • kx200kx200 Member Posts: 3
    This sound kind of stupid but the sweet smell of the exhaust is one of the best of any vehicle on the road. As far as RV campers there are over a half dozen making them. Some just modify the stock van and some buy the cab & chassis and start over. I love mine for hauling my dirt bikes. :)
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Are you getting decent mileage with your Sprinter? I am looking at the Airstream Interstate converson right now.
  • kx200kx200 Member Posts: 3
    I have owned a stock PASSENGER 2500 VAN 158-in WB (HIGH ROOF) with the 3.72 ratio rear end for over a year now. The mileage is fairly consistent for me. Only once was it below 20mpg (19.5mpg) and my highest was 22.9mpg. I would like to see a 3.55 ratio for interstate speeds of 70 /75mph
  • tronno22556tronno22556 Member Posts: 32
    What do these do?

Just trying to compile a price on the internet and have these options to choose. Please be specific. For instance, I know a luxury bucket driver's seat is a luxury bucket driver's seat, but how is it different from the stock one?

Fixed Front Driver's Side Window
    Fixed Front-Passenger Window
    Auxiliary belt drive
    Front insulation
    High idle function
    Luxury bucket driver's seat
    Rear insulation

Thanks
    Fixed Driver's Side Window - This is a fixed pane of glass behind the driver where the second row of passenger seats would go.

Fixed Passenger Side Window - Same on the other side. This is very convenient for merging in traffic.

Both of the above can be ordered in Privacy Glass.

Aux drive belt - Darned if I know

Front insulation - supposedly cuts down on noise and keeps the inside cooler/warmer depending on outside conditions. Actually pretty cheesy stuff. I ordered it hoping for more.

Rear insulation - more of the above only behind you.

High idle function - Beats me

Luxury Bucket Seats - Awesome adjustable seats. Pump up lumbar, extending lower cushion for thigh support, more adjustments than you can use. Order them if you can!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Aux Drive Belt - another belt to drive a second alternator, A/C unit, et al.
  • alfaunoalfauno Member Posts: 13
    The high idle function allows you to idle for long periods. Idling overnight without raising the idle to 1000 rpm or so has had detrimental effects on the running when you go to get moving again. I think the EGR valve can coke up or something.

I'm the owner of a new '05 118" Dodge Sprinter wagon. So far, I love it. Such an improvement over the Ford E150 it is replacing. Averaged 20mpg for the first 1000 miles. Anyway, for kicks I ordered M-B grill kit on ebay. Warning! the chrome trim on the hood is VERY difficult to remove. I cut a V into the center and pulled to the sides. There are two adhesive strips on each side - not a big deal. However, Dodge is also running a heavy bead of an RTV like adhesive down the middle between the strips. I coud not find a paint safe solvent to remove this stuff, so next week we 're going to have a body shop do it. The hood may have to be repainted.
  • ccnewmanccnewman Member Posts: 4
    OK. It seems most people are satisfied with their Sprinters. I like mine fine. My problem is that I hesitate to drive 70 miles to take it to the nearest Sprinter dealer for service. I also don't want to pay $90 for an oil change when I could do it for half that and use full synthetic oil. But the owners manual only tells me that I should change the oil and filter. It doesn't even start to tell me how. Does anyone have any experience working on this Mercedes engine? I can't even figure out where to drain the oil or where the oil filter is!
  • jturkjturk Member Posts: 1
    I have have the same problems with a 2003 Sprinter. I've had to take it back to the dealer twice for the Central Locking System not working, both times it quit working in the middle of the day for no apparent reason! All the dealer says is "you must have ran in to something or backed into something" which I did not!!
    Their system has some major problems!!!
  • mtnsprintermtnsprinter Member Posts: 1
    1-What is the best way to insulate a Sprinter? Fiberglass batts? Foam board?
    2-What is the best way to add a second battery?
    3-Any idea where to get a large domed sunroof ( to add headroom to a low roof model)?

Thanks!
    1-What is the best way to insulate a Sprinter? Fiberglass batts? Foam board?

Insulation materials used in vehicles must meet a flame retardance spec. Some folks use building materials that generate a lot of smoke and will sustain a flame - they are NOT safe.The flame retardant materials are much more expensive.

A relatively inexpensive but marginally effective material is Reflectix, which is basically film covered bubble pack. It's available at big box construction material stores and doesn't burn. It's also used to line windows on RV's and van campers.

We insulated our Chevy and Ford vans with materials from Soundown - www.soundown.com. It's not their primary business but they make some great materials that cut down on noise and insulate well.It can cost $500 to $1,000, though.

I posted a question a while back about the Sprinter, but we wound up with a Chevrolet Express.

1. We drive less than 20,000 miles per year.
    2. The nearest dealer was 30 miles away.
    3. The dealer, Foss Motors in Exeter, NH told me on the phone that they were having trouble meeting demand and implied I'd have to pay the sticker price. We would never recoup the additional $10,000 unless the resale value was extraordinary, and no one has that data yet.
  • bkerrbkerr Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone answer regarding tools etc required to do a simple filter and oil change?

I looked up the spec for the oil since the manual says your Dodge dealer knows. It appears that Chevron Delo 400 15W-50w meets the ACEA spec that I located on the internet.

NAPA stocks a filter for about 19 bucks. Have not picked one up yet to inspect it. Think I located the filter. It is a cartridge type located just to the right of center from the top side. Looks very easy to do, but would like to hear of anyone else's experience.
  • kenbakerkenbaker Member Posts: 239
    The final pages of the owners manual finally tell you that for the ASSYST engine and service managment package that FULLY SYNTHETIC similar to MOBIL-1 0W-40 is recommended. Make sure to meet the CPI standards for the model (or the Mercedes-Benz, MB standards for the oil quality/durability)

Word is that the ASSYST computer may not require an oil change until nearly 20,000 miles. I don't have that option, so the manual says 10,000 miles. Who has experience with this?

If you are doing your own oil changes, what documentation is acceptable when you don't have a Sprinter dealer do the oil changes? Any problems getting warranty service done? Anybody got a chart of the oil required for each temp. zone?
  • ccnewmanccnewman Member Posts: 4
    I was expecting the oil changes to be similar to my other cars and have to wiggle entirely under the vehicle and reach way up around hot exhaust pipes and other engine parts. Instead, the drain plug is right up in the front of the engine. I didn't really have to get under the sprinter at all. Just a 13mm wrench.

I didn't change the filter this time. I got the impression that it only needs to be changed every other oil change. And for $20 bucks I hope that is right. I could hardly believe that the oil filter is right up on top. How easy is that! Of course, the strap wrench that I was using to remove oil filters won't work so I will have to get a real one finally.

I ended up using Mobil1 synthetic. Then I reset the ASSYST computer via the owner's manual instructions. I guess everything will be alright. I hope I didn't just void my warranty trying to save $90 on an oil change, but it ended up being so easy that I can't see why the price is so high.

P.S. Maybe I'm being unsympathetic, but even when I'm paying $3.00 a gallon for diesel, I sure like watching the SUV owners paying $3.40.
  • pauls3500pauls3500 Member Posts: 1
    Hi ya'll. I have a 2004 140 wb shc and just did an oil and filter change at 15000 miles. I couldn't find in the owners manual how to reset the onboard service milage counter. Can someone walk me through the steps. Thanks

By the way this has been a great van so far. I had a initial glitch with an stuck engine temp sensor telling the turbo to turn off, but other than that it's been great. Milage is 21-22 most of the time hauling about 2500 lbs of carpet cleaning equipment.

wpb
  • taxidrivertaxidriver Member Posts: 2
    try this site:

https://www.seatcoverxpress.com/

They have seat covers for Sprinters.
  • ahp691ahp691 Member Posts: 5
    Don't forget , when the dealer changes your oil they are also greasing any grease fittings and checking air filters etc. Don't just change your oil and call it a day. do the rest of the maintenance that should be done. It should be listed in your owners manual. ALso You should alsways change your oil filter with every oil change. It may say in your manual that filter can be change every other oil change, but why would you want to run nice clean oil thru a dirty filter?
    I have an 05 sprinter box truck, 3500, 12 foot aluminum box. I am getting 15-16 MPG loaded. My assyst computer tells me that my first oil cahneg will be due at 5800 miles. I now have 5300 on it. I will let the dealer do the first service then I'll see about doing other services my self.
  • spurryspurry Member Posts: 2
  • spurryspurry Member Posts: 2
    My question is simple. In terms of a family van, how does the sprinter compare? We have looked at all the usual suspects including Toyota and honda. My concern is that my wife and I have five kids and these other vans get filled up pretty quickly with us and our stuff. Also, the other options out there like big Suv's have such poor gas mileage, they don't interest me. Any thoughts? thanks!
  • lotusjaylotusjay Member Posts: 17
    The Sprinter wins in terms of volume of space and miles per gallon (over 20) although it really isn't fair to compare it to the "foreign" vans you mention. Even with the 118" HC, the tiniest of Sprinters, all of you will fit and have room for luggage. As a driving experience the Sprinter will probably out-brake and out-handle any domestic full sized van, and definitely feels safer than the biggest vans from Ford and GM. The fit & finish of the Sprinter wagon interior is high quality, however it won't be as luxurious as the best trim levels of other vans. Get the Sprinter with deluxe seating and armrest options. Rear A/C is essential if you live in a hot place.

A drawback to the Sprinter is that even in civilian guise it is a utility vehicle and it won't let you forget it. But that utility aspect should also mean a longer life and fewer parts falling off as you drive across America. :shades:
  • alfaunoalfauno Member Posts: 13
    I love my new Sprinter. It ws purchased for personal use. With about 3000 miles on it, I've seen mileage in the 21-23 mpg range. The 118" WB, all window passenger version I purchased is a bit shorter and narrower than the Ford full size van I was driving. The steering is much quicker and more precise. The brakes are far better. It rides like a 3/4 ton truck - supple over the small stuff, but stiff over big bumps. Interior capacity is equivalent to the Ford, but the additional height makes it SO much more pleasnat to move around in. One of the biggest differences is the comfort for a front seat passenger. In the Ford the front passenger was an afterthought, in the Sprinter the driver and passnger have equal amounts of space - very important on a long trip. So, the Sprinter is far superior to a full-size van. Keep in mind, though, that it is a truck. It will be a little noisier, ride a little harder, and be a touch more rough around the edges than a car-based minivan. With ABS, traction control, and stabilty control all standard, the safety side is close to equivalent. There are only two airbags, however. The handling is car-like and it is fun to drive. With the additional interior height, the rubber mat flooring that is easy to clean, and plenty of high, safe seats it should be a great kid hauler. My wife likes driving the Sprinter - it is easy to see out of and easy to handle. She hated to drive the Ford. If you don't have to parallel park very often, the 140" version is worth the few more dollars, but you can probably forego the high roof (even the low roof version will not fit into many parking garages, keep in mind). Get the option 22B deluxe seats, power windows and locks, and the world's best cruise control. Get the assyst maintenance group and the van will tell you when it needs service. If the kids want a DVD player, tell them the greatest show in the world is on 24/7 just outside those huge windows. Load 'em up and take them for a long drive.
    Make sure the dealer you visit has a passenger version in stock, in the size you want, to test drive. If you and your wife will both drive the Sprinter, then make sure you are both comfortable driving it. If you are in the Chicago area, email me and you can come and see mine. I bought mine at invoice from a dealer who was very easy to work with (Les at Champion in Barrington), and avoided a dealer who was high pressure/high price (Sherman in Skokie).
  • nevets1nevets1 Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking for a bench seat that allows the back to fold flat and create a bed. Does anyone have any suggestions?

As a second option, any suggestions on a bed that folds out from the wall?

Thanks
    My question is simple. In terms of a family van, how does the sprinter compare? We have looked at all the usual suspects including Toyota and honda. My concern is that my wife and I have five kids and these other vans get filled up pretty quickly with us and our stuff. Also, the other options out there like big Suv's have such poor gas mileage, they don't interest me. Any thoughts? thanks!
    We own a 94 Ford Econoline, 05 Chevy Express, and 05 Nissan Quest. We looked at the Sprinter as one of my friends has one (same type of business) and they like it.

If you drive enough, or if the resale value is high enough (unknown but diesels usually do well) to justify the additional $7-10,000 or so difference in price, go to it!

We couldn't justify the Sprinter because we only drive them around 12,000 miles a year; the closest dealer was 30 miles away; and he made clear that we should expect to pay the sticker because the short wheelbase models were in short supply. The short wheelbase cargo van was $11,000 more than the Chevy 2500 we purchased.

Over 1800 miles the Chevy has averaged about 16.5 mpg - high of 18.7 and low of 15.0. Cost per mile is all over the map because of Katrina but locally diesel fuel is $0.20 per gallon more than regular. But at $2.65 and $2.85, the Chevy costs us about 16 cents per mile versus 12.9 for a Sprinter averaging 22mpg and $2.85 fuel. So if you drive 12,000 miles per year you'd save almost $400 per year on fuel with the Sprinter. As long as you don't need any Mercedes brake pads, you're ahead!
  • dancanpaddledancanpaddle Member Posts: 1
    Flexsteel is an OEM for these kind of seats. Fold out seats are popular with the toybox crowd. Here is a link for 3 kinds:
    http://www.vehiclespecialty.com/rv-wall-sofas.html
    Note that the poor choice of fabric is misleading; the actual solid color product is nicer.

Dan
  • erikoeriko Member Posts: 5
    Folding seats.

I have no idea if anyone sells these, but I have installed a seat/bed of my own design which is FAR easier to install/remove than the stock seats which weigh a ton!

I'd be happy to share info on this - mine aren't beautiful, but work great!

I have a dark green 140" windowvan purchased "Brand Spanking Used" with only 2,400 miles @ Hartzheim Dodge in San Jose CA & have it serviced @ South County Dodge in Gilroy, CA - in answer to several questions about buying in California.

Hope it's OK to mention names, if not, webmaster, please remove!