Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Sprinter

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I'm ready for a nice long trip. I am retiring next month and we plan to cross the country with the MB Cruiser. Good to hear you like yours. I have not even checked the oil. It has a computer that tells you when to change it. They say under light usage you can go 20K miles between changes. Have fun with that and your Liberty CRD. I am sure you will get the bugs worked out.
  • bbird1bbird1 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone get any Imfo on the all new 2007 Models :)
  • tronno22556tronno22556 Member Posts: 32
    See post 404.

There's going to be 3 wheelbases, 4 lengths, 3 heights, gas or diesel, standard or automatic.

Too many choices.

I had a tough time selecting mine.
  • bbird1bbird1 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, any word on MPG figures :confuse:
  • nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    :) does anyone knows how to get the codes from the sprinter. does anyone have the noise that come from the front every time you open the ignition key. does anyone knows that you can buy the oil filter made by STP at Auto Zone.
    I want to install a battery isolator and an extra battery.

I opened the hood and saw quite a few cables connected to the battery.

Which cable comes from the alternator?

The alternator cable should be connected to the alternator post of my isolator I believe, and then I should have a cable going to each battery, correct?

• kenbob88kenbob88 Member Posts: 21
    I just bought a new 118" passenger model, and boy do I have a lot to write about, but one issue at a time and first things first: The CD/radio came with really tinny speakers in the front and none in the rear. Does anyone have any input/guidance/recommendations regarding upgrading the front speakers and/or installing rear speakers? (Brand, model, size, placement, vendor, installers, etc?)
    Is it already wired for rear speakers?
    Thanks--I hope someday soon to have acquired the Sprinter experience and knowledge to be an advisor and not just a learner in this forum.
  • denveradenvera Member Posts: 1
    i installed a shure power 120 amp smart relay with out problems. use terminal E with a 60 amp fuse avalable from parts express.
    Does wire A come straight from the alternator?

If I lead that to the alternator post of the isolator, I won't hurt anything, will I?
    I want to change my two bench seats to reclining buckets.
    Does anyone know a good place to buy?
    I called Becker Automotive Design to ask them what they do with the original driver and passenger seats, but I was told that they don't take those out. I guess that means they just reupholster them?
    If anyone has upgraded their driver and passenger seats, I would like to buy the original seats to bolt in for my second-row seating.
    Thanks,
    Ken in Camarillo, CA
  • n_teslan_tesla Member Posts: 9
    I have a 118” passenger Sprinter too and have been down the stereo upgrade path. The Sprinter is not an easy vehicle to work with. I replaced the dash speakers with the JL Audio 4” as they drop in, sound great and don’t cost too much. For back fill I installed another pair of JL’s above the rear windows. I did this because I use my Sprinter for business and carry boxes in the back that could bash into the speakers and damage the grills if the speakers were mounted in the stock location. The higher placement also helps dispersion and it looks like a factory job.

This setup was smoother sounding but the stock radio doesn’t have enough power for a good sneeze. So the next step was more power. After all a Sprinter isn’t the quietest vehicle at highway speeds and there’s a lot of cubic footage to fill. For this I installed the basic JL Audio 4x75 watt amp and one of their interface devices called a “Clean Sweep” under the passenger seat.

This sounded much better, but there wasn’t enough bass. So the search was on for a way to get bass that didn’t eat up people and cargo space (and money). Ultimately the solution was a JL Audio 10” woofer in an enclosure the size of 2 Kleenex boxes mounted behind the drivers seat bolted to the floor where that weird metal tray with the strap was. This setup sounds awesome and gets plenty loud.

The final touch was to install an XM radio adaptor and a Magellan Roadmate Navigation system. For these to work the antennas must be mounted on the roof; not on the face of the truck over the windshield.

A cost saving option would be to change the head unit to one of the many high power quality DIN units available. This should give satisfying performance and you may be able to put the subwoofer under the front passenger seat. Good luck!
    Thanks for all the helpful info. That's just what I was hoping for. Where is the stock location for the rear speakers? Is it those tiny little grilles back in the corners by the rear doors? (I have a 118" WB.) Are there wires already in place?
    I had thought of putting woofers in the space under the two front seats.
    Did you do the installation yourself, or did you have an auto stereo shop do it?
    Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
    Ken
    Camarillo, CA
  • rothchildrothchild Member Posts: 1
    I just made my 1st of many purchaces.after 2 years of study i made my choice.i went with the 158 wb 3500 shc
    with all the options.You have to go heavy duty on all.
    If you look at all the complaints most folks cheap out.
    i made a purchace from the states I bought wholsale and can sell you mine with 1400 k Iam going down next month
    to buy another.
  • ljgjrljgjr Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 Sprinter with the same issue. Down to 18mpg from 22mpg, and a check engine light that stays lit. What have you learned since this posting?
    As everyone seems to be aware, "authorized Sprinter techs" are a rare breed which leads to slow turn around time for repairs. Businesslink is little help. Can Freightliner techs work on Dodge Sprinters? I have a 2005, 2500 with a check engine light on. After reading through the forums, I tried the fuel cap trick to no avail. My dealer is 1 hour away, as is estimating a 4 day turn around time depending on the problem and availability of parts. This is my primary vehicle and has about $2,000 of product on shelves. Of course any other suggestions as to what the problem may be would be appreciated.
  • nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    :) Freightliner and dodge are the same and Freightliner are authorized to work on dodge sprinters. the only thing that I can think is the egr valve but the best way to know is to find the code. I do not know how to find it but in some Jeep Liberty crd turning the ignition key on and of 4 times and letting it on, will tell you the code. Good lock and do not think that is a bad Van. I have the 140 3500 and so far is running ok but I run the van like a lady in love.
  • grantogranto Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 2500 140".I've had a low speed,no load vibration in 4th gear since I got the vehicle.It is very sporadic and the dealer wasn't able to duplicate it fora long time.Once they did the service adviser said,"Yeh,that is not a normal sound or vibration,we will notify Daimler Chrysler technicians".After weeks of trying to get answers and hearing theories such as;moisture inside the transmission when it was shipped from germany to driveshaft misalignment,the Sprinter tech. came to drive it and said that it was normal vibration due to the fluid metering into the clutches in the transmission.How many other Sprinter owners experience this 20-30mph shudder?The tech said,most people just drive harder than I and don't notice it and apparently the computer can better detect what you want the vehicle to do if you have your foot in it all the time. A shudder/vibration as severe as mine just doesn't seem to be a good thing in a transmission.Given the tech's explanation,I'm wondering why I can't replicate the condition more often when Load,RPM,s,and Speed remain constant.It is troubling and I'm not happy with the dealer's trained tech.nor Daimler's theories.
  • pete71pete71 Member Posts: 1
    How to reset ASSYST.
    This procedure works on all Mercedes-Benz vehicles equipped with ASSYST.
    I'm not sure if it voids warranty or not.

Turn the key to position 2 in the ignition lock and immediately press button 000.0 twice within the space of one second.

Turn the key to position 0 in the ignition lock.

Press and hold button 000.0 Turn the key to position 2 in the ignition lock. Keep button 000.0 pressed.

Service message with current remaining distance or remaining time appears.

After about 10 seconds, an acoustic signal will sound and the service display with the new starting distance or starting time appears for about 10 seconds.

Release button 000.0
  • vsargevsarge Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I've got a 2002 Freightliner 2500SHC 158 with the stock AM/FM/Cassette system and have several AM/FM/CD units sitting around. I've seen kits to adapt a single DIN unit into Sprinters but all state the kits are for 2003 and up. Will these work on my 2002? The stock radio has, I believe an anti-theft system in it...will this cause problems during the switch?

Sarge
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I was told by my dealer the 2007/2008? will be 170 wheel base up from 158 and 7 inches wider.

Can anyone confirm.
    People just don't read.

Post 404

Plus it was discussed in Post 429.

4 lengths, 3 wheelbases, 3 heights, standard & automatic, gasoline & diesel.
  • kitykity Member Posts: 2
    OPCODE: 08452001 Sensor, air flow/air intake/air temp: sensor 5174042AC. Chrysler has issued a service bulletin for mechanics on this one. The dab of paint on this little 1.5 inch long device must be of the right color said Mr. Mechanic.

The one in my vehicle came on 10 minutes after leaving the dealership with my new purchase! They fixed it right away.
  • kenbakerkenbaker Member Posts: 239
    The stock speaker positions in the rear area are on the sides about half way back. So far as I know, the position will not have wires unless you ordered them to be wired or got the van with the rear speakers. Anyone who knows other wise, please jump in...

the tiny grills in the back are for the stale air exhaust vents which are often found in the rear of vans and cars, often in the rear pillars.

I have a plan to add two or four small monitor speakers, like the JBL Control 1A speakers, and then add a powered tube sub-woofer. Still don't know about the in-dash speaks... maybe some 4 ohm wide-range drivers that I know of from AURASOUND

KenB :shades:
    It seems intelligent to use the open post, add a fuse, and run the wire as suggested for the safety factor of being fused from the post to the isolator.

my added $0.02

KenB
  • n_teslan_tesla Member Posts: 9
    The stock rears are located in the middle of the rear panel and aim between the two rear seats. Definitely not optimum. I doubt the wires are there. You can't put a woofer under the driver's seat as it's jam packed with electronics. The passenger side is empty and you could fit a single 8" custom made box there. I had the best shop in the Boston area; Rich's Cartunes do the design and install. It was funny seeing my Sprinter in the shop with a Bentley Continental and a Ferrari next to it. Interestingly I got more questions about the Sprinter with the Mercedes logos than the Bentley did (boy that's a handsome car). Good luck!
    Again, thank you KenB; very helpful info as always.
    I'll probably end up going to a local (independently owned and operated) auto stereo shop, as I lack the time and expertise to do the job myself.
    (If anyone knows of a good shop in Ventura County, CA, I would appreciate the referral.)
    But I have to do it soon; I don't know how long I can endure that stock CD player and those tinny dash speakers.
    Thanks again,
    KenBob
    Thank you, very much, for the good info.
    And thanks also for your post #437; I will take your specs to an auto stereo shop.
    I wish Cartunes were in my area.
    If anyone knows a good independently owned and operated shop in Ventura County (CA) I would appreciate the referral.
    Thanks again!
    On my first tank in my new 118" passenger van I got 21.91 MPG. That's mostly highway driving, with the rear bench seat removed, with the stock 15" rims and tires.
    I'm changing to 16" wheels next week, and hoping my MPG will improve. (But I guess my odometer will also register fewer miles per tankful with the larger circumference tires, so it will be somewhat of a wash?) :confuse:
  • kitykity Member Posts: 2
    Mine is a 140-2500, 2006 Sprinter - similar problem: sounds like I'm going over rumble strips in roadway, only there are no rumble strips! Solution: drive faster, harder? I hardly think that is a safe recommendation from any mechanic. What's the real problem? What's the real solution? Anyone?
  • txx1txx1 Member Posts: 3
    Go to the sprintervan list on yahoo and do a search for "rumble strip noise." There's an individual by the name of florin (do a search) that just did a recent increase in the ATF level and it fixes the problem. He even included a pdf file for the dipstick information.

According to him, and some others as well, the 5speed tranny is very picky on the correct level of ATF. Sometimes it comes underfilled and exhibits the rumble strip noise or transmission vibration.
  • jim314jim314 Member Posts: 491
    Why are you changing to 16" wheels? Depending on what tires you put on the 16" wheels your speedometer and odometer may read falsely high, falsely low or essentially the same as with the stock wheels and tires. It depends on the effective outside diameter at the tread--the revolutions per mile. If you do this, the dealer may be able to reset the speedometer/odometer to read the correct speed with the new size tires.

There are tire calculator programs on the net, but it is easy to do it yourself.

For example, my Dodge Spirit has 195/70-14 tires on 14" wheels.

Dia at tread = (195mm)(0.70)(1in/25.4mm)(2) + 14in = 24.75 inches

The tire sticker also lists 205/60-15 tires which would of course require new 15" wheels

Dia at tread = (205)(0.60)(1/25.4)(2) + 15 = 24.69 inches.

The diameters at the tread are equal and the speedometer/odometer will read the same. The 205/60-15s give superior handling, but at the expense of slightly lower mpg due to increased rolling resistance of performance (sticky) tires. The 10 mm narrower stock tires give adequate handling for me, and I value fuel economy highly, so I've just stayed with the original tires/wheels which came on this 1991 base model Dodge Spirit 2.5L 5-spd, 34 mpg at 70 mph with the a/c on.

If you change to a tire/wheel combination which is significantly larger at the tread then you would be increasing the effective gear ratio throughout the gear range and this should save fuel when cruising at light accelerator pressure, but you will not have as good acceleration. If you habitually have the van relatively lightly loaded and don't use it in hilly terrain, then this may be the right thing to do. But if you use an unapproved tire size, then you will have substituted your own judgment for that of the MB engineers as to what is the best tire for the Sprinter. I wouldn't do this lightly.
    Tire calculator here:

Tire Calculator

As mentioned, the gear ratio will be different with different tires. Sure, you may save a few bucks on fuel, but how long until you need engine work due to the strain on the engine?
    Hi Jim,
    I'm changing my rims and tires for several reasons: I can't stand those Goodyear Cargo Vectors that came on the van; they have ultra-stiff sidewalls and ride too rough. My (118", low-roof, passenger model) van is almost always lightly loaded. Also, my speedometer & odometer are registering high as is, so the larger-circumference tires will correct some of this.
    (Why does DC do this? My cynical side tells me that they save millions in warranty work by having warranties expire sooner. My wife's Honda CRV came with a high-registering odometer also (we had it checked, and it was almost 8% high), and when I took it into the dealer for recalibrating they said they couldn't do it, and besides, 10% leeway is the legal parameter. So apparently, manufacturers are turning out cars with high-registering speedometers and odometers on purpose. The service advisor told me that that's so I wouldn't get a surprise speeding ticket. Riiiight.)
    As far as acceleration, the van has plenty of low-end power, and I do a lot of highway cruising. And I want to go to not only taller but wider rims so I can put on wider tires to improve the vehicle's stability in cornering and crosswinds. (It's already surprisingly good, though.) Yes, I know that the wider tires might lower the MPG somewhat, depending on the tire type.
    And lastly, I don't like the looks of the stock steel wheels. I've looked at a lot of rims, but I'll probably just end up going with the OEM painted alloy ones that come on some 3500s and are available at dealers or dodgeparts.com. I'm not into fancy. I don't like the looks of the Borbets, I understand the AT Italias have been discontinued, and I can't afford the 18" G-Wagens.
    BTW, as of my second tankful, my MPG increased to 24.79, so it's breaking in, apparently.
    My conundrum was that the new larger-circumference tires will lower the odometer registry, thereby offsetting measured increase in highway MPG I might realize.
    But that's only measurement; my real-world highway MPG will increase, I think.
    Thanks for your input.
    Thanks for the tire calculator; that's real handy. As far as engine strain, my tire circumference won't be much larger, if any, than some of the optional tires that come on Sprinters, so I think I'll be okay. Mine is a low-roof, 118" passenger model with rear seat removed, and my cargo, when I carry any, doesn't weigh much at all. Thanks again.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Be very careful changing tire sizes on the Sprinter. They use LT metric tires or the European equivalent. It is very important that you get sufficient load capacity. Overloaded tire failures can sometimes have tragic results.

So it's best to work with a tire shop who knows what they are doing.
    Interesting about the 10 % variance allowed on the accuracy of the odometer and speedometer. However, I would think that a consistent bias of the calibration would be uncovered by either the government or by auto journalists.

What are the sizes of the original tire/wheel combination and the proposed new ones? This vehicle has dynamic stability and traction control. It's at least theoretically possible that the DSTC is engineered to work best with the stock tires.
    I know; it seems unbelievable that such extreme variance could be allowed, but that's what the Honda service advisor told me.
    And yeah, we would HOPE that a consistent bias by auto manufacturers would be exposed, but there's little government oversight going on in any area these days (mine safety, for example), and investigative journalists are a vanishing breed; bloggers seem to do all the heavy lifting.
    My existing stock tires are 27.4" dia. and the 245/70 16s would be about 29.5". I hope they will fit without having to modify the wheel wells and mudflaps as some owners have had to do when changing wheels/tires.
    Thanks for raising the issue of the DSTC; if anyone has any further insight, I would appreciate it.
    Wow! An increase of 2.1 inch in diameter would nominally raise the entire vehicle 1 inch higher. Of course, if you use softer tires the true increase in radius may not be a full 1 inch.

I do not think there could be any reasonably expected benefit which would justify this, first from the cost, but second and mainly you would be raising an already high and narrow vehicle significantly higher. This could reduce stability and increase the effect of cross winds.

Raising the vehicle could increase the air resistance and negate the fuel saving effect of higher gearing. Then there is the potential for interference of the tires with the wheel wells.
    Well, took my Sprinter to the dealer this A.M. and sure enough, the air flow sensor was bad. What a difference this made. The van has more power, runs quieter and smoother. Even the shifting pattern seems to have changed. I was also told that the rust spots on the white paint were caused by brake dust and would rub out with wax. We'll see when the weather breaks. Thanks to all for your replies. :)
    You hit it right on the button. I was in and out of the dealership in an hour. Truck runs great again. Thanks for the info.
  • northenernorthener Member Posts: 5
    I placed an order for a 2006 cargo 140 on Febuary 14th. With Bangor Chrysler(Maine). Dealership is informing me of a 4 month period from placed to delivery. Is that consistant with others experiances? Nothing out of the ordinary in options but is in stone grey. Thanks, paul
    Paul,
    we hear this is pretty normal, especially for a color choice, in fact, your estimate is a bit short of the 5-6 months some have reported.

Most WHITE combinations (without extraordinary options) would probably be in your geographic region, especially in the cargo version. It appears to me that most regular Sprinters are shipped WHITE unless special ordered.

In the Northern regions you might even see more of the heater, block heater, and timed heater options shipped on the "spec" Sprinters shipped to dealers for immediate sale to the customer just in off of the street.

Here in Oklahoma we don't see many individually owned Sprinters yet (not many passenger "wagons" that is). The cargo, delivery, and even the custom cab/chassis are catching on very well. I really like the one version of mechanics bed that I have seen at the dealer.

KenB (2004 2500 HC Wagon, MWB, white, 10 pass.; bought new in Sept. 2005) :shades: 10,000 miles and first Oil Change behind me now. ;)
  • spondlecatspondlecat Member Posts: 5
    I ordered my Sprinter back at the beginning of December. I took delivery last Monday. It was however worth the wait. I only now wish I had added a few upgrades. Once you surpass $30,000 a few hundred dollars more is insignificant. Power door locks would be real nice. Perhaps a better stereo. I have been having trouble finding an acceptable partition/shelving system. System Edstrom seems to be the best, but information is hard to aquire. At any rate I am pleased with the fuel economy. I am also researching the use of biodiesel. Apparantly most of the Mercedes' in Europe are using B-100.
    I have to admit I really do not like the smell of the exhaust. Hopefully, soon I will be smelling the remnants of my favorite Thai restaurant. Good luck
    READ THE MANUAL!

Page 209 states:

QUOTE:

FUEL REQUIREMENTS

Use only commercially available vehicular diesel fuels No. 2 or No. 1 (ASTM D 975 No. 2-D or No. 1-D).

WARNING!

Marine diesel fuel, Bio diesel fuel, heating oil or the like must not be used.

END QUOTE
    Is it known that biodiesel will not work or will damage the fuel system or engine,or is it just that it is not officially recommended because it has not been tested?

What about the various biodiesel-geodiesel blends B10, B20, etc.?
    From bio-diesel information site, B-100 has many good properties, one of which is higher cleaning or Solvent property. If used in a system which has had alot of dirty dino diesel (DDD, petroleum based diesel), it will start cleaning up the systems up to the filter... the result will probably be to have to change the filter several times in short order, stalling, surging, etc. What happens after the filter is an issue if your filter was none too good at... filtering!!! :P

B5, and B10 are widely used in Mercedes products in Europe, some may even be certified on at least B85. :)

B20 is probably easily acceptable in a fairly new vehicle. B100 in a brand new vehicle should be totally acceptable within the limits of reasonable temeratures. Bio-diesel is also more lubricating than its DDD counterpart. Cloud point issues are similar to DDD or better, so a preheater is required in the coldest climates. ;)

In the past, different diesel blends were quite apparent in the north in winter when compared to the south in summer. The added parafin in southern (summer) diesel helped lubricate injector pumps and injectors in hot weather, but was too cloudy (gelled) in northern winter (cold) weather. :(

Testing by the manufacturer is the key... :shades: That, and common sense if you ever switch over to anything near B100, plus $5.95 will probably buy you a cup at Starbucks.

Biodiesel, by definition, is not damaging to a fuel system or diesel engine. It is essentially de-esterized vegetable oil (some might have animal fat, another debate later)with the stray proteins removed. It is even relatively non-damaging to the human organism; as it is estimated that it would require people drinking about 3 liters of B100 (each person) before 50 percent of them would get sick/die.

KenB
  • the_forcethe_force Member Posts: 3
    The new Sprinter is currently being built and sold in Europe.

They stopped building the one Dodge is selling.

Why are we waiting for the new one?

It seems unwise to order the obsolete version and wait for 6 months.

• spondlecatspondlecat Member Posts: 5
    Timberline Dodge in Portland, Oregon gave me the approval to run biodiesel. It has been used in Europe (mustard seed, and rapeseed oil) for the last several years. I will continue researching this, but lets not forget that Adolph Diesel created his first engine to run on peanut oil. The common rail direct injection operates at such high pressure, and has no rubber parts that could be compromised by the use of vegetable oil. There is a probable 5-7% reduction in power, but it burns with 90% less pollutants. I see in the manual that number 2 diesel is the only recommended fuel. Do you suppose the European engines are different, or are we just at the butt end of a petroleum conspiracy?
    I should check this before posting, but I think Rudolf Diesel originally ran his compression ignition engine on peanut oil itself, and not on what would now be called peanut oil biodiesel.

Peanut oil biodiesel would the methyl esters of the fatty acids from peanut oil. This would be produced by transesterification of peanut oil with methyl alcohol and then separating the methyl esters from the glycerin byproduct.
  • touroptourop Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in purchasing a Dodge Sprinter to use for transporting up to eight people around the Southwest on multi-day tours. Spending 2 to 3 hours/day driving from one destination to another. Question: comfort, noise, gas mileage, pulling a small trailer behind for luggage???

Would really appreciate any feedback on advisability of using this kind of vehicle.