Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Sprinter

Comments

• earlwearlw Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2004 Sprinter recreational van that in the last 6 months has developed the same problem. There are two batteries for the rv and one for the motor. All three batteries will go down after about a week to two weeks not being used. There is a battery turn off switch for the rv side. When I check the solenoid that works with this switch it shows the voltage goes to zero volts. If you come upon a answer please post it. Where did you find the CD factory manual?
  • surlyoldbillsurlyoldbill Member Posts: 36
    I think I have the same CD, purchased from Ebay. The wiring diagrams are complete, just VERY difficult to follow. If someone could come up with a wiring diagram that is like the ones in the Hayes or Chilton repair books, it would be helpfull. The shop manual on CD (2003) doesn't even tell you the location of the fuse blocks or compenents; just "fuse block 2" or another name, it's up to you to deduce which componet is which.
  • rstmsrstms Member Posts: 3
    Do all your batteries discharge even if the RV disconnect switch if turned off? Got CD from Ebay.
  • earlwearlw Member Posts: 8
    Yes. Even with the disconnect switch turned off all three batteries will discharge. I have checked using a volt meter while someone turns the disconnect switch off and on. With it on I will read 12 volts across the solenoid and with it off it will go to zero volts.
  • sprinterdocsprinterdoc Member Posts: 11
    New 2007 will come to U.S. in March '07 :)
    Sprinters are made in Germany and shipped to U.S.
    Cargo Sprinters are knocked down and shipped.
    Passangers Sprinters are shipped directly to U.S.
    March '07 you will see them.
  • sprintergodsprintergod Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering if anybody ever had to get a rear licence plate holder for a cab and chassis? I have one in the shop that we are installing tail lights on, but it needs a licence plate bracket. Chrysler does not show one since its part of the rear door. Help please!!
  • bhmetbhmet Member Posts: 8
    Hello,
    The dealer usualy supplies the stop and tail light assembly with a mounting ear for the license plate to mount to. Then the body people throw that away when they install their body on your frame and they provide a license plate mount and the stop/tail light assembly.
    bhmet
  • bhmetbhmet Member Posts: 8
    Hello,
    Update, the screen infront of the radiators is a good ideal. $665 worth. Intercooler $275, the rest labor.

The vehicle runs great.

Now the drivers door appears to be sagging a little, Driver hanging on it or weak joints????

Later

bhmet :shades:
  • ewxltewxlt Member Posts: 1
    I've been to the dealer twice.
    Readied my truck for trade in...

but now having read over 40 pages of this thread....I'm very afraid.

dealer nightmares
    personal service issues
    HEADACHE

wow...i had my heart set on that little 114 standard roof too....
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Does anyone have a link to the OEM sunroof parts? Because of the thickness of the headliner, local sunroof guy suggested buying the factory sunroof and trim.
  • rstmsrstms Member Posts: 3
    Quick update...After having battery checked by load test, which showed battery good, re-installed after cleaning connectors. Still no start! Tried jumper cables and started fine. Removed jumper cables and again no start. Purchased new battery, 900 CCA. Now is doing fine. Moral, IMHO, is that losd tester at regular battery dealer may not apply enough load to check these heavy duty batteries.
  • jriordan1jriordan1 Member Posts: 3
    If you have had one of the dreaded plastic turbo Resonator failures that left you stranded, There is a solution. A brand new metal resonator eliminator that replaces the plastic part with a billet aluminum part and lasts the life of the vehicle. If you have an RV or work vehicle, you can now be sure that when you get away from it all you will actually get back without a tow truck. We love our sprinter van RV and replacing the plastic turbo resonator with the metal resonator eliminator was easy. It's not just a part, it is the peace of mind of knowing you won't get stuck. You can find them at Folsom Lake Dodge from the parts manager Sonny Custis at 916-355-9999 or visit http://www.riordanco.com/our_products_catalog.htm#sprinterTurboResonator for lots of information , FAQs etc. Well worth the time. took me 18 minutes to install it.
  • punter1punter1 Member Posts: 50
    You can get a 7 year 100,000 mile extended warranty that covers everthing mechanical , details at dodge.com.
  • davenissendavenissen Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I need advise. I am thinking about buying a new Sprinter (Roadtrek) and would like to use it in the winter. However I understand that the water lines will freeze and, as a result, you cannot use the water lines in below freezing temps but instead must carry water separately inside and use it for toilet flushing, etc. Is that true? Is there anyway to winterize a Sprinter for winter use? Any practical suggestions/tips on how to function in a Sprinter in below freezing temperatures would be appreciated. Thank for all the help.
  • altered3altered3 Member Posts: 59
    davenissen
    I would think if your in total frozen perimeters the van would not get out of park because the wheels would be in spin or the trans would refuse to move from park because the air temp sensor won't wake up.
    All jokes aside any anti freeze in the water lines would prevent the issue your thinking about! Order the unit with a heater block option and this solves pre warm up issues etc
    But where are you residing! ALASKA> you'd need a 4 by four all wheel drive ;) and a few extra modified fuel and oil supplements such as these to keep the Sprinter happy.
    http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp
    Red Line Oil: Gear Lubricants">
    Altered Sprinter
  • surlyoldbillsurlyoldbill Member Posts: 36
    Note on winter condieions and the Sprinter: A visit to Oregon over the holidays showed me that the Sprinter will get stuck on flat ground on packed snow. A little shove got it rolling enough to stop spinning. Stock LTX tires, 2/3 tread. When is the 4x4 or all-wheel drive option going to be available?! the aftermarket 4x4 conversion from Germany looks very cool!

http://www.iglhaut-allrad.de/htm/e_home.html
    You would not be alone in that one getting stuck, them truck tires are not so good for off road experiences, Australia has the 4by4 as the Mercedes unit Sprinter, US is playing with it as usual ! Time will tell
    You can bet the new generation Sprinter will be a all wheel drive within the next two years, Mercedes is working on this now as Ford And other UK European vehicles in the same class as the Sprinter are not that far off from developing the same type of all wheel drive units
  • mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 06 Sprinter. I am going to do my first oil change, and wondered if anyone knows how to reset the maintenance alert?
  • mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 2
    did you ever find the instructions for resetting the computer? I have an 06 and don't find them either. Thanks for any help.
    Turn ignition on and press mi. button till you see oil change miles, release button, then turn ignition off and press and hold mi. button. Turn ignition back on and keep holding the mi. button for approx. 10 sec. till oil change milage will reset. You're done. :shades: :)
    Dodge at least is now acknowledging the existence of the 2007 on its web site:

http://dodge.com/en/sprinter
  • fireguyfireguy Member Posts: 3
    They may be acknowledging the 2007, but the 2006 is still on the message. I tried, twice, to sign up for the e-mail notification of the new model, but no success. they did not like my information. Maybe I should have entered "more than 50 vehicles"

2003 140 SHC 2500
    2005 158 SHC 2500
  • chad140chad140 Member Posts: 3
    So whats the deal with getting extra keys?? I dont have power anything so its just a normal key right?? Or is it? I would hate to lose the one I have because it IS the only one I have at the moment. Thanks
  • larryccflarryccf Member Posts: 6
    not an owner, but just drove one today and if your key is the folding key FOB thingee, then i believe it has an electronic transponder in it that in addition to the unusual key, the vehicle's brain box needs to confirm electronically to start and run the engine

and if it's like VW, the dealer has to reprogram all the keys at the same time, after going on the web , if you buy additional keys after deliver
    with VW it ends up costing abourt $140 per key
    i just got my email registration in successfully, with no issues so, you might retry

curious if anyone can tell me the ramifications of the new diesel version with catalytic converters
    i know something about the lower sulfur content diesel fuel is supposed to be the criteria and MB had to make them complaint but is that fuel available and what if we run older style diesel fuel in the van - will it damage the catalytic converters?

thanks in advance
    Fireguy
    There are tow types of diesel engines, the old 5 cylinder has gone along with the autotrans.
    The first engine is a 4 cylinder twin cam 4 valves per cylinder with a in line twin turbo assist.
    The second engine is the V6 Gas and Diesel, the gas model is the first to come into the States, followed by the Diesel a little latter on, not a long wait.
    The exhaust will use a particulate exhaust trap. for 2007 and part of 2008, unless there is a delay at the US end, The V6 has been redesigned top to bottom heavy duty for all fuel uses
    Bio, and ULSD or a mix of the two, notification via Dodge is yet to come but they will run on B10 fuels. the injection system has been changes to accommodate the alternative fuels.
    Mercedes-Benz Diesel engines are fully 50 state compliant" BUT" the fuel is not available to the required standards state-wide, this is why there are problems with the Sprinter, it's "POLITICS" if you use ULSD that is suspect?? to quality standards! Use an upper cylinder lubricant to clean the fuel prior to entering the injection system , the engine will take it, however it depends on the contamination levels of non compliance fuels entering your vehicles fuel supply from the pumps, and that is where the problems are occurring, in the mainstream , it's not an easy fix by any stretch of the imagination, Blutec will make it to the states in time be it blutec or Chrysler's Sun Diesel Engine Concept, different system! but it does the same job,the difference is the particulate system one is wet the other is dry so the problem has not been resolved , where it has in the European countries where most of the Sprinters reside, and they don't have any problems clocking a million K's about six hundred thousand miles before a head needs to be lifted for routine maintenance.
    When you get them , Like the old Sprinter it's going to be a love hate relationship, you either like them or you don't
    Fuel ratings are similar to what you already get on the old Sprinters 22 seems the average , where 25-6 is average in Europe and Australia, but the fuel is high quality ULSD , which allows for a better return on the MPG to a tank of fuel.
    Fact and Myth, Damlier -Benz engines are compliant for euro 4 and for euro 5 over five ton commercial units using both the particulate exhaust system filter traps and for Blutec
    of which there is no distribution facility's in the US mainstream as of yet, it is available, but it's sent through a limited network of distribution, this will take at least three years to come on line, If The US choses to use this path to cut down on emissions.
    Interesting thread below makes one think :confuse:

http://autoengineer.wordpress.com/2006/10/23/2007-diesel-regulations-environment- al-irresponsibility/#comment-5
    2007 Diesel Regulations - Environmental Irresponsibility? « Mostly Mechanical

Another source of invaluable information on the new Sprinter
    http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php
    Sprinter-Forum.com
  • kenbakerkenbaker Member Posts: 239
    even the "plain" keys have a transponder in them.

The "fob" key also has the door lock remote.

We have seen entries on the internet (ebay, also) that you can program for a third key if you have two already... but if you have just one key, then you HAVE to have it programmed by dealer/locksmith (additional programming for the remote door lock feature as well if you have that).

KenB ;)
  • 2000_valk2000_valk Member Posts: 67
    I hear people talking about a 5K hike in new vehicles with diesel engines! I picked up my 04 today with a fresh warranty paint job ( thanks to a budwiser truck hitting me ). and I thought the sprinter guy said it was ford and GM. He said the sprinter already meets the US guide lines. If true, does this mean our sprinters just went up in value. Tom :)
    KenB - believe you have it reversed on the "hi discharge" - first if i recall correctly, the euro sprinters have the optional Bi-zenon hi discharge which burn in the 45-4700 Kelvin spectrum, are much much more focused (ergo the focusing lenses you see in the headlamp, with the bulb hidden behind it) and the light is focused like a lazor in a flat plane across the road ahead
    visibility is much more enhanced - I have had them on 3 german cars now, purchased here in the US and bought the headlamp units in europe

both the intensity, focusing and the color (white) of the light all make visibility day/night difference between them and the headlights commonly available now on US spec vehicles
    my decision to purchase a sprinter
    drove one,, liked it, and assumed i could expect the quality i'd experienced in my MB cars, both build quality and support quality (i expected a downgrade in support quality but not the extent i've read about here)

think i'll wait a year or two to see if the reports re the new 2007 version indicate any change
    i'll build a temporary camper for my toyota tundra double cab - if the [non-permissible content removed] can do it, why is it so difficult for, of all makers, MB or DC

it's a shame, as the sprinter really does offer possibilities other vans don't and i had looked forward to it - in case some think my expectations are too high, i was a dealership mechanic in the late 60s into the mid 70s (BMW/NISSAN/SAAB), and still have a lot of friends in the dealerships around town, from mechanics to svc managers
    and the problems i've read about and the complete apparent failure on dealership tech support leaves me wondering where DC turned left when the rest of the market turned right

sorry for the negative post, but hopefully someone from DC or MB monitors these posts

wishing you guys many trouble free enjoyable miles
    larryccf,
    Its NOT that the headlight **quality** is not good enough for American roads... it is that the DESIGN is wrong unless changed for our roads.

The quality of the entire van design is OK for US standards (as most trucks usually are).

I am certain that the European standards for headlight illumination include very little side light and upper right quadrant lighting (as looking forward into the field of vision from the driver's seat).

In Europe, it is mostly required for street signs and warnings to be lighted on their own and for the beam width/height of the headlamps to be restricted to avoid on-coming driver blinding effects.

In the USA, we mostly don't light our street signs except in very progressive states/areas with LOTS of money. As a result, in order to see street signs and warning markers/signs, the NTSD and/or DOT require more broad beamed lighting on cars/trucks for the American market.

Putting the Xenon (pseudo HID) bulbs in normal USA headlight enclosures is a hazard to on-coming traffic on two-way roads. And putting European headlight assemblies in a car meant for the Ammerican road system is bad because you can see where you're going, but you can't read the signs so well.

KenB :shades:
    actuallym the HIDs that I've had were flat beams (flat horizontally, until they reached the right edge of the road and then they angled upward, almost a 45 degree angle upward illuminating the right side of the road, believe they were referred to as "E code" ILLUMINATION,
    just for that purpose, to illuminate road signs better
  • paulkfedexpaulkfedex Member Posts: 1
    I'm a Fed Ex Home Delivery Contractor with the first Sprinter (158 Tall 2500) in our terminal (10/04). I fought a fierce fight to get it over the "bread truck" delivery vehicle. I'm very, very dissatisfied with the vehicle. I was never a fan of German vehicles (compared to my experience with Japanese engineering and reliability); owning and operating this van over the past 2 1/2 years has thoroughly convinced that this vehicle is nothing short of a nightmare! Overly complicaterd yet under engineered. Is this the price we Americans pay for WWII?? Still, I would like to join the discussion and add my two cents, learning from you while sharing from my experiences, in hopes of helping the uninitiated avoid the same pitfalls.
    Currently, my vehicle is in the shop since Tuesday, needing new glow plugs requiring removal of the head. At 144K!! It wouldnt start Tuesday for work; -8 that day. How can MB stay in business marketing a vehicle that has this many problems? It is so under-engineered... excessive tire wear, brakes, tie rods, ck engine light issues, EGR valves, preheater, serpentine belt tensioner, fuel lines bursting, batteries, turn signal assembly, wheel bearings, HVAC controller, front doors hyperextending and bending, rear doors wont stay shut, numerous parts not mentioned previously failing, bulbs burning out constantly, lack of adequate dealer servicing, parts on national backorder, severe traction issues on any loose/ slippery surface... the list goes on and on. Anyway, just wanted to throw my hat in the ring.
    Hi this is Sprinterdoc, I work on them every day. One of me friends got '05 158' and 300,000 miles on it. We fixed only few things on it: Brakes ones, tires ones, belt ones, and headlight bulbs few times but they all need them. Other people complaint a lot more,but like all other cars they need thing here and there. I can only say one think: depends how you drive the truck. :):D :sick:
    Calling sprinterdoc
    Have you seen any problems with the rear lights going on and off. I go out to warm the van, dark out, and no tail lights. Other times just one on. But if you tap the lens it turns on. Makes you wonder when I hit small bumps if they are sending out morse codes. Thanks, Tom :mad:
    tire wear is a real concern for many I have read complaints from on other platforms... a couple of items to mention:

1) the turbo kicks in under acceleration, especially in left turns which we all take a bit faster than we should. After getting started rolling, fight the urge to surge through the turn (your tires will love you).

2) as a delivery van I have to assume that you run heavy at times and at others nearly empty? heavy loads require near max tire pressures to be correct (75+ lbs). When empty, the best pressures I have established are 65 rear and 55 front (not experienced any bad wear in 22,000 miles).

3) tell us about your load balancing routine... biggest weight in front, middle, rear? LIFO (last in first out), LILO (last in last out), load from rear deliver from side?

Brakes I have no experience with replacing, but get the messages from around the boards that:

1) you should not use stock brakes for delivery (need ceramics I think they say)

2) may need rotors with evey brake change. If so, do your own... only a parts switch (no rotor turning required) and the rotors are not a part of the hub so they change out easily.

3) downshift to save brakes... change trans fluid at 80K and then every 60K (or every 60K including the first one).

My brakes grumble and grind alot at times. I presume that this is when a new abrasive particle is uncovered in the brake pad matrix and it is smoothing itself down. At 22K miles I don't have worn out brakes, but I do have grumbling that would sound like it on my other van (GMC Safari)

KenB :shades: :confuse:
    Well to add to the rear light problem, Now this. 6:55 AM noticed pass side low beam out, (again) At 4:15 PM same day the driver side low beam went out (again) 45 miles from home and starting to get dark. Went as far as I could before using high beams. Everybody loved me the last 5 miles. Is this something that has happened to others? 68K miles and have gone through 5 bulbs. Tom :mad: :mad:
    Tom,
    my two guesses and $0.02 are these:

1) you have a voltage control regulator that is marginal (probably part of the alternator, but I am not in the schematic now). Probably running on the high side of range.

2) turning on/off headlights while bouncing along greatly shortens their life (a couple of friends proved it once quite some time ago) but generally not as bad as you report experiencing.

I just have 22K on my van, but no burn outs yet. What brand of replacement capsules do you buy? Never use the Taiwan/China versions if you don't have to.

In the past I have had the best luck with Wagner and Sylvania or maybe GE (in that order).

Anxious to know what brands last best. Everybody who has experience please chime in!

Thanks,
    KenB :confuse:
    Dodge Introduces All-new 2007 Sprinter

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-14-200- 7/0004527580&EDATE=

'Super-sized' Sprinter is Longer, Wider and taller; Offers More Space,
    Choices, Features and Innovations
    --Increase in maximum width (two inches), interior height (11 inches),
    exterior height (13 inches), door opening height (5 inches), cargo area
    length (19 inches), vehicle length (30 inches), cargo volume (127 cu. ft.),
    and towing capacity (2,500 lbs.)
    --Three vehicle lengths (233, 273 and 289 inches) on two new wheelbases --
    144 inches, 170 inches or 170 inches extended with 15-inch longer rear
    overhang, the longest wheelbase in the segment
    --Three interior roof height options: standard (65 inches), high (76
    inches) and new mega (84 inches) -- most among full-size vans
    --Choice of two all-new engines: new 3.0-liter V-6 diesel or 3.5-liter V-6
    gas engine
    --Most best-in-class advantages including cargo capacity (up to 600 cubic
    feet), interior compartment accessibility, payload (5,770 lbs.), lowest
    side step-in height (19.9 inches), widest rear-door opening (270 degrees),
    cargo- sliding door loading width (51 inches), and increased interior
    height (up to 84 inches) providing up to 7-feet interior work space
    --Three Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) configurations include new
    higher maximum (11,030 lbs.)
    --Oil change intervals of 10,000 miles and maintenance intervals of 30,000
    miles contribute to low maintenance costs
    --More than 25 advanced safety and security features represent highest
    level of safety and security technology available in the full-size van
    segment
    --All-new ADAPTIVE ESP(R) takes electronic stability programs to the next
    level
    --Unique CARGO PROTECTION(R) system reduces accident risk from shifting
    loads
    --Unmatched upfit-friendly design
    --New standard features include power windows and locks, integrated wide-
    angle mirrors, halogen headlamps, 16-inch wheels, tilt- and
    height-adjustable steering wheel, CD radio, one-touch triple-flash function
    turn signals, and all-new ADAPTIVE ESP for improved functionality and
    safety capability

TORONTO, Feb. 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Armed with an all-new super-
    sized Sprinter, Dodge continues to build on its presence in the commercial
    vehicle market. Completely redesigned, the all-new 2007 Dodge Sprinter
    breaks the mold of current domestic van offerings and delivers superior
    quality, reliability and commercial capability, along with unequalled
    attributes that allow commercial customers to do even more.
    "The all-new 2007 Dodge Sprinter raises the bar and sets a new
    commercial standard in the full-size van market," said George Murphy,
    Senior Vice President -- Global Brand Marketing, Chrysler Group. "Targeted
    at commercial customers who want to take the performance of their
    commercial vehicle and business to the next level, the all-new 2007 Dodge
    Sprinter answers the call and continues Dodge's revolution of the light-
    and medium-duty commercial vehicle market."
    More Versatility, Choices and Features
    Dodge's super-sized Sprinter offers expanded versatility and even more
    choices and features. Compared to the previous model, the all-new 2007
    Dodge Sprinter boasts increases in width (two inches), interior height (11
    inches), exterior height (13 inches), cargo area length (19 inches),
    vehicle length (30 inches), cargo volume (127 cu. ft.), and towing capacity
    (2,500 lbs.). Sprinter is available in three vehicle lengths (233, 273 and
    289 inches) on two new wheelbases of 144 inches or 170 inches, or 170
    inches extended with a 15-inch longer rear overhang. It also boasts three
    interior roof height options: standard (65 inches), high (76 inches) and
    new mega (84 inches) - the most among full-size vans.