Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti I35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'd take it down to the dealership to get it checked out.

You didn't get an owner's manual? I'd go ahead and get one- it helps you learn more about your new I35.

I think dealers can order a manual right?

Congratulations on your new (but used) I35! Could you give the rest of us some more information on your car such as:

Color Combination
    Options (apparently you have the Sport Package since you have VDC)
    Where you bought it
  • kmntr6kmntr6 Member Posts: 1
    I am having an identical problem. I was told the part is $300 and labor would be $150 to correct. I bought the car new. The seat motor was replaced under warranty during the first year of ownership. Now with 75,000 miles, since it is my work car, of course there is no warranty and I guess I am SOL. My wife is 4' 11" and I am 6' 1" and the seat doesn't move. I guess my wife won't be able to drive the car until I get it fixed!
  • casey103casey103 Member Posts: 11
    Posting this here because the other Forum seems dead. I just bought an 03 I35, Gold/tan, Spoiler, heated frt/rr seats. 20k miles. Still under factory warrnaty until Sept 07. I paid 17.5 which seemed good to me for what I got. Was this a fair deal?..luv the heated steering wheel.. What do you think?
    Yea these boards are deathly silent.

Probably because the I35 is so reliable and probably because you can't get a brand new one anymore :D
  • jacobsgammajacobsgamma Member Posts: 3
    After washing my 2002 I35 last week at a touchless car wash, I pulled out and noticed these lights came on. I called the dealer since my car is still under warranty, and was told they don't know why this happened. Make an appointment for 2 weeks and HOPEFULLY they can find out what happened. This exact thing happened in 11/05. After taking it to them they said can't find error in OBC. HUH?
    I asked them if I could take it to the nearest Nissan dealer to get the codes so they could see it and I was told no I have to take it to an Infiniti dealer and the soonest they could look at it would be 2 weeks. What a joke. I took it anyway to Nissan and planned on paying myself for the computer hookup but being a DECENT car dealer they did it for free. The code C1105 was there.
    RR wheel sensor. The lights have since gone out. We have an appointment with ANOTHER dealer to hopefully get it fixed. As a test we took the car back this morning to the car wash and guess what happened? The lights are on again.
    Is this a trait of the Infiniti? Possibly too sensitive to wet ground? Anyone else have this happen when you wash your Infiniti?
    I've taken my Infiniti to the touchless car wash once, and I'm sure the local dealer has done it for me once when I took it in for service on slow days (Mondays) and no problems.
    Thanks jchan2
  • tdp60tdp60 Member Posts: 2
    I also just purchased a used 2002 I35 with 41,000. for $17,600. I previously owned a 1993 Infiniti J30. I had to retire it. I really love my car. I just have a concern, the Service Engine Soon came on yesterday and I hope it's nothing. I did not get an owners manual, if you could check your manuel and let me know what it say, it would be good, I am awaiting for my owners manual. Thanks
    My check engine light came on alittle while back and when I took it to the dealer they had to replace the O2 sensor.
    I believe the manual says have it checked by the dealer.
    Sorry, you just bought this thing.
  • crose1crose1 Member Posts: 1
    My brake light on the dash goes on and off. No issues with the pads or rotors. Plenty of life left. 02 I35. Anyone had an issue with this?
    Is it the ABS light or just the regular Brake light?

If its the brake light it might be something to do with your parking brakes. I'm not too sure about this but it might be a possibility.
  • tdp60tdp60 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks,but turned out to be a simple thing, I was talking a girlfriend and she said her daughter had same problem, she said to make sure that the gas cap is tightly on..I checked the gas cap and made sure it was tightly on, it resolved the problem, the "Service engine soon, did not come on after that, hope that was all.....
  • mirage3mirage3 Member Posts: 1
    Help....
    "Check Engine" light came on several weeks ago. I took my 2002 Infiniti I35 to an Infiniti dealer. They got codes U1000 and U1001 ( bad communication ), they reset computer and told me nothing is wrong. Next day as soon as I started my car TCS off and Slip lights came on, AT lights blinked 10-15 times. Waited 2-3 minutes, stopped engine then started engine again. TCS off and Slip lights gone out but "Check Engine" light came on. Took car to a dealer. They got same code U1000 and U1001, they do not know what is wrong. Does anybody have suggestion? Thanks.
    Alternator maybe? Who knows?

Is there a different Infiniti dealership in your area? Perhaps you could try a... umm... more competent one.
  • shiskashiska Member Posts: 16
    Check online at www.infinitihelp.com . In particular look at the service bulletins for the I35.There is one last month that deals with these two codes and identifies high resistance in a couple of grounding circuts as the culprit. The simple fix is to clean and tighten the grounding posts for the battery and ECM. Hope this is your problem as it really is very minor.
  • yankeebelleyankeebelle Member Posts: 22
    I just used a non-dealer tire shop and found out something interesting. The I35 only needs a 2 wheel alignment. My dealer has been charging me for a 4 wheel alignment but they cannot adjust the rear, there are no adjustments. My husband did some digging and found out that parent company Nissan tells the dealers to "do" the 4 wheel as a way of checking that the car is still square, in other words they are charging you double to see if your car has been in an accident. We are furious. We've paid for work they aren't doing because no one told us it can't be adjusted in the rear and it isn't in the manual. So next time you need an alignment, save some money and get what you are paying for, a 2 wheel alignment.
  • armorguardarmorguard Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone make a afternsrket stereo install kit for the '02 I35? I have the factiry BOSE system and would like to replace it but cany seem to find a I35 kit anywhere..Pleasse help. I thought a Manima kit of the same year would fit but it doesnt
    An only 2 wheel alignment makes sense as the I35's rear axle is solid beam I believe...
    But when I take my car in for service and ask for an alignment wouldn't you expect the dealer to say, "You only need a 2 wheel alignment." instead of putting down and charging for a 4 wheel alignment that can't be done? If they want to know if the car has been in an accident they can either ask or simply look at the car. The car gives it away every time. My point is that the dealers are charging for work they aren't doing and it is a standard practice. Owners beware.
  • flawsonflawson Member Posts: 2
    When the weather get's really hot, like 105 F or higher, the air conditioner won't kick in with in town driving where it's stop-n-go. When I'm on the freeway, the air conditioner performs fine. I'm wondering if this is to protect the car from overheating. The engine temp indicator is still mid-range during these episodes. Last week while in Las Vegas, temps were up to 115. We were miserable driving up and down the strip in traffic with no AC. Once the traffic cleared and we were able to maintain a reasonable speed, then the AC was great. Should I be looking at an overheating problem, or is this how AC problems start? Or is this situation typical in this kind of extreme temperatures? Thanks.
  • billhibbillhib Member Posts: 1
    did u resolve the problem i have the same faults ...bill
  • flawsonflawson Member Posts: 2
    Not yet. It's not been so hot lately.
  • raj12raj12 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Folks!, looking for answer to understand the source of a 'scratching' sound which I get from the right front side only when I start the car. This happens in the first minute or so. Now this is about the time when I am trying to either get out of the driveway or out of a parking spot. Question: Is a system / feature of the car which kicks-in or starts with this kind of a sound OR something is potentially 'scratching' against another?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well you can 'check' the alignment on a solid beam axle to see if anything is bent, and on some you can actually bend the axle to get alignment back. But personally I wouldn't get the alignment check on the rear unless you've been having tire wear issues or really weird handling problems.
    It's not your anti-lock brake system checking itself is it?
    The system does check itself in the first 10 seconds or so after start up and the sounds do seem to come from the right front altho it doesn't really sound like a scatching to me. It is a strange sound, but it is completely normal so hopefully this is all you are hearing.
  • sbrown8244sbrown8244 Member Posts: 5
    My wife has a pre-owned 2001 I30 that we have had for about 4 years. About once every 6 months, the car gets this condition where the car alarm starts going off about every 30 minutes, even when the car is unlocked. The only way to stop this from happening is to leave the door open a crack so that it cannot make contact. After a few days of doing this it stops (for about another 6 months). I have taken the car in to the Infiniti dealership twice with this complaint. The first time, they swore it never went off while in their possession. The second time, they admitted that the car alarm went off spontaneously, but they could not diagnose a problem. Does anyone have an idea as to what might be going on? Please help.
  • nesienesie Member Posts: 1
    I have a I35 with 85k miles. In the last week, I've noticed some kind of squeal, that sounds like it is coming from under my hood. Sounds like a crying puppy and definitely gains pitch as I accelerate. When I come to a stop, it sounds more like an old, squeaky car...up until I come to a full stop. Seems to be getting louder by each day.

Note that I had the dealer replace front/rear brakes about 2 mos. ago. (big bucks!)

Anyone have an idea about what this could be? I'll probably take it to the dealer this week, but, I'd like to have a guess as to what it is and what it will cost me.

Thanks,
    dgm
    It's very difficult to diagnose a noise without hearing it. It could be one of several things the easiest to fix and most likely culprit being a drive belt.On the other hand it could be something more labour intensive like a water pump bearing for example.Any competent mechanic should be able to get a handle on it by just listening to it.Let us know how you make out as it may be something we all have to look forward to.
  • dmfdmf Member Posts: 1
    I am going through this same issue as we speak. Was there ever a resolution? Help!!!
    I was just browsing the Edmunds site and found that Infiniti has issued a TSB on your seat problem. I found it under:
    Maintenance, Recalls, and TSB's.
    There was also some information on the Edmunds site on how to get a full description, aka user friendly- not mechanic speak, of the problem and solution. You can take that with you to the dealer. The dealer may or may not pay for the repair, they may split it with you but there is no set rule for dealing with TSBs after warranty expires.
    Good luck! :)
    I was just browsing the Edmunds site and found that Infiniti has issued a TSB on your code U1000 problem. I found it under:
    Maintenance, Recalls, and TSB's.
    There was also some information on the Edmunds site on how to get a full description, aka user friendly- not mechanic speak, of the problem and solution. You can take that with you to the dealer. The dealer may or may not pay for the repair, they may split it with you but there is no set rule for dealing with TSBs after warranty expires.
    Good luck! :)
  • myrcgaragemyrcgarage Member Posts: 18
    I purchased my 2003 I35 4 weeks ago. Overall, I am very happy with it except the wind noise from the rear windows when I am driving over 60MPH. Is it normal for the I35 series? Is it because of how the door is constructed? Please advice.
  • lthomas1lthomas1 Member Posts: 5
    I think its a common problem... I took my car to this place called air tight windows and now I don't have any noise from the back windows! Only cost me about $80.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What do they do exactly?
    Where do you live? I live in Chicago. I wonder if there is something like that.
    I purchased a 2003 I35 about 5 weeks ago with 32K miles on it, so far so good, however, when I am driving at low RPM, around 1500 or a bit above it. And if I try to give it a bit of gas, not too much though. So, it is like it is trying to accelerate. I can hear the engine is making some growling noise. Also, I can feel the vibration is more than usual on the gas paddle. Is it normal or something is loosen? I purchased a 3 year extended warranty, so, I want to get it fixed if it is a problem. Otherwise, the engine is smooth at quiet while cruising.

By the way, I am using 87 Octane gas. Is it ok?

I appreciate your help.
  • infi35infi35 Member Posts: 3
    My I35 was broken into a couple of years back and I had the door glass replaced. Ever since it was replaced, I always hear wind noise when I'm driving on the fwy and am not listening to any music. I guess aftermarket parts do not fit properly?.
    I live in Southern California. Any idea how much 60,000 mile service costs here @ the dealer or other shops?

Also, I have been hearing a squeal for a few months now from the front right side. Does any of you know if they'd check that during the 60k mile service?. Last time I went for 'service engine soon' light that was staying on all the time, they charged me 100 bucks just to look at it (apprently, this is the minimum they charge to look at it. If it's one more problem, then another 100 bucks. It's ridiculous they charge this much for each problem).
    I have noticed that too when I'm trying to put the brakes on. I always thought that I might have accidentally stepped on the gas while trying to brake it. Has anybody else noticed this?
  • nissanfan4lyfenissanfan4lyfe Member Posts: 2
    I have the same clicking noise when the air is on also...i took my car 2 infiniti and they said they had to replace the blower motor maybe u should try that
  • raylee177raylee177 Member Posts: 4
    2003 I35 gets 27 miles per gallon on free way driving per on board computer but actual is about 10% lower than the computer readout. I am not sure the computer reading is correct.
    On board computer fuel mileage computation is off by 10% on my 2003 I35. It says I am getting 27.2 miles per gallon on freeway driving but my actual is 10% less. It is hard to believe that it is common discrepancies.
    Mine is 2003 I35 and I have no problems. You bought one of the most reliable car you can buy. V6 in your car perhaps is best and bullet proof engine on the road.
    Thanks. Yep, it should be one of the most reliable car. However, I posted a 1500 RPM vibration issue couple months back. Since then, I took it to the dealer 3 times. Dealer ended up replacing the tranny because they found metal shaving inside the tranny. But that didn't fix the problem. They spent hours on it and the vibration was still there. The only major thing that they didn't replace was the engine. They said Infiniti would not replace an engine because of vibration. They said it was normal...but it is not ...not for a luxury car like this. The previous owner must have abused the car or I just had a bad one. So, I traded it in, lost about $700 after 3 months and got a 2004 I35. This one is so smooth and quiet. I am just the lucky on to get a bad car.
  • jjaccorjjaccor Member Posts: 2
    2004 Infiniti I35 - Recently after having had the battery replace, my sunroof stopped operating. I strongly believe that the fuse must have blown, but I cannot locate it. I have looked on the layouts of: 1) the fuse box by the hood release, 2) & 3) two fuse boxes next to the battery, and 4) one other fuse box on the other side of engine under the hood.

It is not labeled on these layouts. I have noticed more fuses present in the fuse boxes than are labeled on the layouts. :confuse:

Can anyone help with a more completly labeled layout or specific instruction as to where to locate the fuse for the sunroof?

Thank you very much for any assistance. :)
    There is a sequence of steps to reset the sunroof when you reset the electronic stuff. You can call your Infiniti dealer and they should tell you how to do it.
    Believe it or not, I had, until just 1 month ago, 1996 Infinity I30 with 150,000 miles on it but I never took the car in for service to dealer. Only things I did was regualar maintenance and spark plug change at 100,000 miles.

Only things that went bad were knock sensor and O2 sensor.

I even had original rotor in it.
    I have now 2003 Infinity I35 with 55,000 miles and I intend to do just that. I30 and I35 is same engine and they are bullet proof.
  • jjaccorjjaccor Member Posts: 2
    Dealer said the sunroof should move a couple of inches, but mine does not move at all. Then said it must be a fuse :surprise: so I asked where would it be located and asked for a fuse layout so then they said it is one of the unlabeled ones in the box by the hood release, but didn't know which one, so suggested take them out one at the time and check them. So much for trying to find an "easy" way. :)

Thanks for the idea to check "reset" anyway.
  • steelmotorsteelmotor Member Posts: 3
    Please help!
    My Infinity 2004 I35 SLIP, TCS off, ABS, AIR BAG lights are ON after a wreck. Car has less than 14000 miles on it and only driver seat air bag was deployed but it was not replace. I replace the complete front left suspension system. How could I reset all or some of these lights? Please help! Thank you!
    :cry: