Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Excursion Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• roosmamaroosmama Member Posts: 28
    I have given up on the locks too. They are too pricey to be replacing all the time. I had a rough time with that cable. It actually did fry - the mechanic that replaced it burnt his hand when he touched the alternator. We replaced the alternator and have had no problem since. Re peeling paint. My 'Ex' is black and have had no problems with paint...but I know of one that was painted what they used to call 'candy apple red' that had a really bad paint job on it. Ford did re-paint it but it took ALOT of yelling at the dealership and the Ford reps.
  • star52451star52451 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Excursion with the 6.0 Diesel, it is a fifty fifty chance if it will start or not. When I attempt to start it the theft light on the dash will blink rapidly and nothing happens when I turn the key. The other half of the time the theft light will blink slowly and the truck starts no problem. The dealer said the alternator and batteries are bad? causing a voltage problem making the anti-theft device think it is being stolen. After a new alternator and batteries it is the same. How can i fix this, or even disable the anti-theft ignition kill switch. Anyone please help!!!
  • quickfordsquickfords Member Posts: 18
    It certainly sounds like the anti-theft module is faulty. Do the doors unlock OK with they key fob?
  • 1jman1jman Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with a Ford Tarus. Luckily it was under warranty, it turned out to be a circuit board.
  • daglassdaglass Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem on my 04 Excursion. When I turn the auto climate control off the Defroster turns on high.
    Did you ever figure out how to fix it.
  • bigtruck1bigtruck1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a white 2000 Excursion. I had the right rear door jam repainted under warrunty in 2002 and it has all peeled off again. The paint on the roof drip rails is gone and it is starting to rust. I think its a great idea to talk to a lawyer. I think you should also mention the door locks, all of mine are fried as well. Keep me posted, I hope everyone else who reads this gets involved as well. :mad: ">
  • tsheehantsheehan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 V-10 Limited, bought it new and I had to fix the rear door lock mechanism. The WD 40 was tried first but the real issue was the mechanism was just too worn to muster the torque needed to lock the rear lock. The part can be purchased at auto-zone (I think it was 40-50 bucks). Screws are under the tabs of the interior handle and then the rear plastic housing pops off. The locking mechanism is simply a few screws and a wiring harness change. Whole job is probably 15 to 30 minutes tops. Best thing was the part was available from a parts store on a weekend. They have the mechanisms for the side doors as well. The replacement part is not identical in shape but it fits exactly and has worked perfectly for several months now. Good Luck....TIM
  • ridley1ridley1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 V-10 white limited EX with paint peeling off the roof. I have 132,000 miles on it. The paint started peeling about 2 years ago, just pass the 100,000 mile mark. Talked to ford and the dealer no help. Let me know if I can be of any help.
    Right now that is the lest of my problems. I just blew out the spark plug on cylinder #10, last one on drivers side. The good news is Ford just came out with a kit (October 2007) to repair the spark plug threads. The dealer didn't know for sure if it can be done without taking off the head, he thought it could be done without taking it off. The quote he gave me was $200-$300 without removing head or $1400 if they have to remove the head. The bad news the kit cost $1000.00 and the dealer doesn't want to invest that kind of money. They feel it may take 2-3 years to recoup their money. I found Cal-Van Tool Company makes a kit for around $250. I might buy it and it do it myself. That way if I blow out another I have the kit to do it again.
    I am really starting to wonder about how good your dealer is. I fought with my 2000 Excursion V-10 for over 2-3 years because the stupid thing did not want to idle. I was seriously thinking of trading it in and getting rid of it. Then I moved, took it to a new dealer, told them the problem, and SURPRIZE....now it runs like it did when it was brand new. I even said to the service guy "what the ____ did you do to my truck???! IT WORKS!!!" As for the dealer not wanting to spend $1000 for a kit...that is garbage!!!! That big V10 is in more vehicles than just the Excursion. AND my dealer told me that the V10 6.8L is just the 5.4L with 2 extra cylinders. SO you are being handed a line. I'd be taking it elsewhere!! There are more Ford Dealers in the sea! :shades:
  • owltruckowltruck Member Posts: 2
    Ridley, so what fixed the Idle problem?? My 2000 V-10 Excursion has had this problem for a few years and my dealer cannot seem to fix it, either!

My husband would be *very* happy to have this problem fixed - he's currently stuck with my Excursion as I took the other vehicle and I'm out of state (working) for a few months.

JZ
  • vclukehumdingrvclukehumdingr Member Posts: 1
    Will 2006 factory F250/F350 20" wheels fit on my 2000 Excursion? If not, what is the reason.

Thanks
  • tzimmermanntzimmermann Member Posts: 6
    This is in reference to plug problem. Is it an opriginal design problem or could it be due to regular service replacement of plugs and a mechanic applying to much torque?

Thanks
    I don't think the first ford dealer I took it to wanted the job. He referred me to a dealer in a bigger city. They have a kit they have been using for some time. It's not the "FORD" kit but a different brand. They have had good luck with it. They quoted me $900 which includes all parts. They found it to be better if they removed the intake manifold to make it easier to do the job. They also remove all the spark plug and inspect the threads and install new spark plugs. That price includes repairing all plug threads that they find bad. Right now we have been talking to Ford about some financial help but it doesn't sound promising.
    I have talked to two different service technicians. No real answer. One service manager said that Ford has not redesigned the head but another service manager said they had. Who knows? I wonder if it could be bad threads because of inferior metal. Any ways I'm a retired mechanic and I replaced the original plugs myself about 30k miles ago. I used the torque spec's from the "FORD" service manual. When ever I buy a vehicle I but the factory service manual also.
    I'm not sure what they did. When I talked to the service manager he told me that it sounded like some air intake valve was sticking as they had seen some other Fords (Windstars and Explorers) that acted the same. So I handed the 'X' over to them and they did what I would call a MAJOR tune up. They took the valve apart and cleaned it, replaced all the spark plugs, flushed the injectors, changed ALL the filters - the inline fuel filter was nasty. Bottom line is the service cost me $600 CDN and was worth it. Whatever they did the thing is running like a happy kitty. :shades:
    I agree with the other guys on the site. For an engine to "blow out" a spark plug is not normal. Someone must have over torqued the things or forced in one sized wrong. I can remember when I still worked at the dealership the manager freaked out at a mechanic who stripped a spark plug and damaged the threads on the engine. I'd suspect that someone did this and did not tell you.
    Got this off the internet...
    WASHINGTON - Ford Motor Co. is recalling 1.17 million trucks, sport utility vehicles and vans to fix an engine sensor that could lead to engine stalling.
    The recalled vehicles are all from the 1997-2003 model years with 7.3-litre diesel engines, including the Ford E-Series van, Excursion full-size sport utility vehicle, and F-450 Super Duty and F-550 Super Duty trucks.
    The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a posting on its website that the camshaft position sensor on the engine could function intermittently and lead to an engine stall and potential crash.
    The sensor is an electrical component that helps regulate the fuel going into the engine.
    Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis said there have been 14 accidents associated with the problem, but no injuries reported.

Recall is to start Dec 17. For those of you with that engine.....enjoy!!!!
  • twtcadtwtcad Member Posts: 13
    Thank You for the notice! I just scheduled my repair for next Thursday!
    You're welcome. I watch these pretty close, ever since the Firestone Tire fiasco. I was one of the lucky ones. They did recall the Firestones on the 'Ex's but I never did get a letter to tell me that. But just by watching the recalls I got 5 new tires free!!! ;)
  • roccosuroccosu Member Posts: 3
    I have an '02 w/V-10 that has +/- 145,000 miles and pull a 6x12 cargo trailer for my work. have had the front rotors turned once last year and 2x's this year with pads changed each time. rotors are at minimum allowance. any suggestions for upgrades? had plugs and boots changed at +/- 118,000 with motorcraft oem plugs and engine still pings on acceleration. change fuel filter regularly and have tried higher octane with no noticeable decrease in pinging. also have used injector cleaners i.e. Lucas, Gumout, Seafoam. suggestions?
    Hello........I replaced my rotors almost two years ago w/ slotted/dimpled one's from http://www.r1concepts.com/ I also got there performance brake pads and I'm just due for replacing them. Now I do not tow a trailer daily, but I am an aggressive driver. These brakes made a world of difference w/ my '03 7.3l Excursion and I highly recommend! I will be ordering new pads from them shortly. By the way it was February of '06 when I installed these.

As far as the pinging, I would consider going to a hotter plug or maybe an after market ignition upgrade so the spark is hotter. I'm not a mechanic......just my 2 cents! Good Luck!
  • aebrownaebrown Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 ford excursion. Does anyone have any problems with front end noise? intermittent rubbing sounds like a weak car horn... going into 4 wheel drive on its own? I replaced the hubs and bearings. I had the rotors and brakes checked. Do i have a switch, vacuum or transfer case problem. The Ford dealer was no help. I am currently driving it with the hubs removed.
    As I stated in my reply, I'm a retired mechanic and changed my own spark plugs. I torqued the plugs to the factory specs according to the factory service manual. I had over 30k miles on the spark plug change before it blew out. If it was striped out from over torque I feel it wouldn't have lasted that long. I think it would be a good idea to re torque the spark plugs after a few thousand miles. As I stated Ford knows it is a problem or they wouldn't have gone to the expense of making a $1000.00 kit to repair the spark plug treads or would not have put out a TSB on it. Also the other tool companys, Cal-Van and Lisle, would not have came out with a kit made just for this application unless it was more then just a small number of Ford engine (V-10s & V-8s) with this problem. Any ways I hope Ford comes back with the $2500 bonuse cash because I want to trade it in on a new ranger.
  • fphilli1fphilli1 Member Posts: 30
    :cry: I am new to the forum so bear with me. I own a 2001 Excursion Limited 4X4 diesel
    with 126,000 miles on it. My 4X4 does not enguage the front axle. I do not trust and do not know anyone or dealer that I feel I can go to. When I switch the 4X4 switch the lights come on but the axle does not enguage and niether does the transfer case. I heard it could be the PCM module but before I go that route I want more opinions. The PCM is very expensive. Please help as you can, thanks in advance.
    Check the vacuum... for possible leak... bad hose.
    Would this affexct both the front axle and the transfer case? Thanks for the help.
    My problem was different than yours... my excursion would go into 4 wheel drive on its own... and my problem turned out to be bad hubs and bearings (1500 bucks later). In researching my problem i saw problems like yours and vacuum apperared to be an issue... other things also. Search the blogs. Good luck
    Thanks for the response. I had my hubs replaced last year. Where should I look for a vacuum leak? I thought if it was a vacuum leak there would be other symptoms of performance in the engine. Maybe I am wrong. Thanks anyway.
    I might be wrong but i thought your front 4 wheel drive is activated from a vacuum through your interior switch? Vacuum hose to your front wheel(s), Research your problem in this forum and you should find some info? There are other ford forums here also... not just excursion so check other Ford truck and 4x4 also. let me know how you make out?... Good luck.
  • bluejensenbluejensen Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2002 EX with the 7.3 litre Turbo Diesel. At 66,000 miles, it suddenly started smoking (blue oil smoke). Has anyone had this happen. Any suggestions as to the cause. I have always thought Diesel engines were longer lasting than that.

thanks,
    I have a 2001 with 127,000 on it. It has always expelled blue smoke through the exhaust on hard throttle or very cold weather. Check your oil dip stick to see if you are burning oil. If you are burning or consuming oil I would take it to the dealer. You have a 1000,000 warrenty on the engine. I had a front main seal go at 84,000 and they fixed it with no issues. Make sure you change your oil every 3,000 miles along with your filters oil, fuel, and air. Let me know how you come out.
  • bigj05fordbigj05ford Member Posts: 3
    New to this...we have a 05 X V10--- 40,000 miles. It does not have any power. I have changed out the fuel filter and keep the air filter clean. We have had it to the dealer who say's there is nothing wrong with it...However I know better, I drive it every day. Does anyone know anything to try to see what could be wrong. This is our 2nd X and we love the room along with the great ride it has. We pull a 32ft. camper and need more performance out of our beast.
    I have a 00 with 107K. Never had any power problems. I would go to another Ford dealer... explain your problem and ask to take one of their more experienced engine mechanics with you on test ride. Could be curbureator. Post your fix... curious what it ends up being. Good luck.
  • bigtruck1bigtruck1 Member Posts: 7
    I just swithced to Castrol Full Synthetic in my 00 EX V10. I've gone 1800 miles and the oil is gone?????? :confuse: Anyone know why? I only have 60,000 miles on my truck.
    I have the same truck with 120,000 km on it. Same thing happened to me. I took it to a dealer and the mechanic explained to me that if you put oil in one of these beasts that does not meet Ford specs, the oil breaks down real fast and is gone!!! I went through I don't know how much oil and figured I needed new gaskets or something. Since I started taking my truck back to a Ford dealer for oil changes - I still have oil. It is not disappearing! :confuse: Sounds weird but that is what happened.">
    For sure go to another dealer. My X had the stalling problem that has been talked about on this forum. There was no local Ford dealer. Local mechanics could not figure it out. I took it to the nearest dealer who was an hour drive away. Still could not figure out the problem. Then we moved to Medicine Hat Alberta. I took it to Rodeo Ford and explained the problem to them. Beasty had a major tune up (was due anyways) and now it runs like a top. No stalling, lots of power and for the first time in 3 years it will start with the remote command start!!!! When I asked the service manager about it he told me that they have a couple of master mechanics that have taken all the Ford courses on these engines and can fix them right. Bottom is don't be afraid to take it elsewhere. I'm glad that I did. :shades:
  • gottago75gottago75 Member Posts: 1
    I am a newbie here. I proudly own a 2000 excursion with the 6.8 V10 gas engine. I went to the store last week and the fuel gauge read 1/2 tank. When I came out to start the truck to return home the fuel gauge went to full and it has been there since. I have been told it is the fuel sending unit. Is there an easy way to change this without removing the gas tank? Can I get to it from inside the truck? Thank you for you help.
  • beastloverbeastlover Member Posts: 1
    Hi there I too have a diesel beast 2004. I had the same problem I would ask your mechanic about reprogramming your PCM module and checking that all your injectors are okay. I had the same problem. Thought it was transmission but after those two things were resolved we were good!
    Yup. That would do it. I have the 6.8L V10 gas engine, but in 2004 I was working at a Ford dealer. We used to sell a lot of the diesels to the gas and oil industry. They would be brought in because the engines were 'bogging out'. The mechanics would hook them up to the computer and 'reflash' the engine. Fixed them up every time.
    Just got the truck to the dealership today to learn that they think that the cat/converter looks to be stopping up. It had a little higher back pressure on it than normal. They said they have a new one on order and will put it on next week. I did ask the man to re-fresh/re-flash the computer and he said it would not help. I told him to do it anyway and they they will on monday after they install the new cat/converter. He told me that the biggest problem is the 373 gearing not the V10. I will post the results after I get the truck back on monday.....If they get it done on time.
  • valdezg31valdezg31 Member Posts: 1
    i got a 01 x v-10 limited bought it a week ago 77,333 miles and i'm worried about the gas.i didn't know how much it goes though,what can i do to save gas and get a little more out of it,if nothing out there i'm selling it
    I had to check mine. I get about 19 mpg with my 2000 V10 EX. Keep the filters clean, keep her tuned up and DO NOT skimp on things like spark plugs. I run mine on 'regular' gas. Also keep the tires inflated properly and think about switching the tires from compressed air to nitrogen. For extended highway driving at highway speeds I have been known to get 22 to 24 mpg with a strong tail wind.
    We are on our 2nd X....We have had a 03 with the 5.4 V8 and only was able to get around 11 to 12 mpg. We now have a 05 X with the V10...our mpg is around 10 give or take 1 mpg... I have found that the beast does run better if I use middle grade fuel.. There is little to no hope if you want to enjoy the big/comfort ride that this truck is good for and hope to get great mpg. Be sure and change out the fuel filter along with keeping your X in tune along with the clean air filter and you will find that you will stop at every pump but will love your X as you move down the road alot safer than a smaller truck/suv......
  • chewie_azchewie_az Member Posts: 1
    Dose any one know where to find a supercharger for an excursion with a V10?
  • doug777doug777 Member Posts: 1
    dear agoodwin , do you have an update on cryo brakes ? thanks
  • steve2000xsteve2000x Member Posts: 2
    Having same problem. Any help out there would be great. Thanks.
    Steve
    I admit that I am not absolutley sure but if I recall correctly it is right inside the fuel tank. I'd google it or just ask a mechanic point blank.
  • guthmanguthman Member Posts: 1
    My family is looking to purchase an excursion - any opinions as to what year and engine combo is the best?

We live in Colorado and are looking for an 8/9 passenger 4x4.

Thanks!
    Travis
    If you are just looking for a family hauler (little towing) I would go with an '05 6.0l diesel. If you plan to do towing (boat, camper or trailer on any kind of regular basis) then I would go with an '03 7.3l diesel. With the 4x4 you are not going to get good gas mileage period! I have the '03 7.3l Limited and with a Superchips programmer I get about 14 around town, it was 12 before the programmer. I'm not sure what the 6.0l gets, but I would assume a little better, but you loose towing reliability! As far as gassers go.....I can not say! This has been my first Ford and has been the best truck I've owned so far and I'm saddened they quit making it as I would love an '08 version! Oh.....we are a family of 8 all seat full and I do not believe you can get a loaded one with a bench in the front, maybe an XLT (stripped) fleet version. But I can definitely be wrong! Good Luck hunting as the diesel's are hard to find, but the gassers are a dime a dozen here in Florida! Just my 2 cents!
    Travis...
    I have a 2000 Excursion with 110k on it. If i had to do over again i would buy another Suburban. I had an 88 surburban and traded it with 180k miles on it for the Excursion. At the time i wanted another Suburban (a real truck) but the Chevy dealers weren't dealing on price and the Ford dealers were. I needed a large 4 wheel truck so i went for it. While I like the truck... great power... over the years I have had too many costly weird maintenance and 4 wheel drive problems with the excursion. Big ticket items were replacing the front hubs... and I had to replace the front bearings twice. I'm not crazy about the braking. The door locks stopped working years ago. And then there were the expected problems... batteries... starter.. alternater... etc.

Good luck with your decision...
    Al