Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    There is an excellent set of photos at http://media.volvocars.com/vcc/media/frameset?url=http://media.volvocars.com/vcc/media/start/1,2551,,00.html This is a Volvo International press site, and you will have to register. The high resolution photos of the interior are particularly good, as you can save it to your disk and then zoom, and really examine the dash-board
  • retiredgilbertretiredgilbert Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if car prices are higher in Canada than compared to the US. I realize I placed the message with pricing realesed in Canada, but thers no way I'd pay 60k for this vehicle.
    You need to check the exchange rate of the Canadian Dollar to the US Dollar; it's roughly $.65 to 1.00 CD. See, now it's not so bad is it?
    BTW, Canadian pricing does not necessarily reflect what the US pricing will be.
  • retiredgilbertretiredgilbert Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Kullenberg, sometimes the obvious is not so.......um, obvious. Hopefully, that price will lower here is the US.
    Try http://www.volvoxc90.vcc.volvocars.se

it will alow you to change colors, rotate the car, zoom in and out, open and close doors, etc. If you don't have a hi speed connection it can be a little slow on the downloads.
  • ladbrandyladbrandy Member Posts: 10
    Anyone know the possibility of using the xplan with this model? Do you think the dealers would make me wait longer for a car to come in at this price or they will deny usage of the xplan because its a hot model?
    Do you most of you have a refundable deposit down? What do you think the invoice pricing will be? I wonder if the xplan will be similar to the military prices posted earlier.

Sorry in advance if this message gets posted multiple times but it doesnt seem to be added when I hit post my message.

Karen
  • bradlake1bradlake1 Member Posts: 48
    Forgive the ignorance of a NEWBIE but..........what is X-plan pricing?

Thanks!
  • upsguyfriscoupsguyfrisco Member Posts: 4
    If you workfor a ford supplier, then you qualify for special x-plan pricing. At my company Ford showed up about a month ago with several fords. a land rover feelander, Jaguar x-type, Mazda of some sort,a lincoln and a volvo. They were all part of a touring group promoting the x-plan. Its great on new vehicles in short supply, since most dealers won't deal. There is even a ford website for the program. One of the guys fromford was there and I was talking to him about the Land Rover Discovery II and he said " honestly if you can wait, check out the Volvo XC-90" He said he toured with it on the auto show circuit and it was an amazing vehicle for the money and he said with the x-plan it would be a GREAT buy. Oh and by the way the x-plan pricing works on all ford associated products except Astin Martin...oh well..
  • frizzellfrizzell Member Posts: 5
    I just talked with the dealer here in Italy about the military purchase plan.
    He said that it wouldn't be a problem to get the 7 seat T5, which has been rumored to be an issue, but still didn't have any prices.
    He also said dealers should have demo cars by October, with delivery though the plan in Q1 next year.
    On a related note, has anyone heard if the special volvo financing for the 75th anniversary will be available for the XC90?
  • dolphin_attidolphin_atti Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    does anybody has a number yet($) for the new XC90 for US or for European delivery(pick up in Sweden than ship home to US).
    I appreciate any info on this.

Thank you
  • jvikas66jvikas66 Member Posts: 6
    I'd put $1,000 down on the new XC90 a couple of months ago and got a call from my dealer last week to come in because he had pricing and specs etc. He also said he'd have a vehicle to test drive in October. In Canada the MSRP is C$54,995 for the 2.5T and C$59,995 for the T6. Both have seven seats and are pretty loaded (DSTC, fog lights, leather etc). The dealer also said that a/z plan and x-plan pricing will not be available on the XC90 and because of the huge interest in the vehicle they aren't prepared to sell below MSRP.
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    Does the dealer have an option on whether they accept these ford based special purchase plans. I realize this will be a popular vehicle, but does their dealership contract state they have to accept the plan?

Besides given Volvo's early years of production issues on the XC70 I would have concerns this won't be an isse on teh XC90.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The Ford plans are strictly voluntary.
    Our dealership will not be accepting them for the XC90 at the start either.

As for quality, Volvos launch of the S60 was virtually trouble free and Volvo has gotten good marks from JD Power regarding vehicle quality.
    The Xc90 really isn't a new vehicle.It uses existing technology and platforms. So don't be afraid of it
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    http://www.cars.com/galleries/volvo/xc90/03xc9010.jpg

cars.com has a few good photos (in case you don't want to visit the Volvo site and wait for the page to load).
  • stanonpchstanonpch Member Posts: 2
    Dealers will be getting pricing and descriptions of their initial allotment in approx. 3 wks. Since allotment is based on sales, the bigger the dealer, the bigger the allotment. Initial wave will all be twin-turbo/three rows of seats type. Look for $42M price tag. Sat in one day before yesterday (sorry, i can't say where). Less legroom than I had hoped (see earlier post) but looks fantastic. The hot new color is silver with a hint of green.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Look for $42M price tag.

Well that puts a damper on my plans - it's certainly out of my league! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Maybe, the next allotment will have fewer goodies or Volvo won't be able to move them and will offer some discounts/incentives. Or maybe, you could ask Edmunds for a raise! I mean after all, you guys are so wonderful, intelligent, diligent, thoughtful and wise you deserve it! (Ok, remove nose slowly) :)
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Nah, I'll just wait and pick up a used one! With depreciation the prices will plummet to 6 figures just driving them off the lot! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    Wait a year or so and then get on thru the overseaseas delivery program; about 9% cheaper and a trip to Sweden thrown in!!
    Cheers
    Pat
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    Tidester is trying to say he can't afford a car that costs in the MILLIONS.
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    I was able to see the XC90 at the North American International Auto show in Detroit this past Jan. This SUV looks better in person than all the pictures and videos I have seen. The appearance was quite striking and fresh in the sea of cars and trucks. The dealer in my area wanted a $1000 non refundable deposit. I told him as much as I like the XC90 I'm not willing to give him the deposit until I can take one out on a test drive.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Wow, this certainly puts the XC90 on my list!

From http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5158

VOLVO XC90: $35,725 BASE

Volvo says the base all-wheel-drive version of its new XC90 sport-ute will run $35,725, including the stand-alone option of all-wheel drive ($1750) and $625 in destination fees. A front-drive XC90 won't be available until spring of 2003, but will cost $33,975 including destination. Both of those models sport a 2.5-liter in-line five with a single turbocharger and 208 hp. The all-wheel-drive XC90 T6, with a 268-hp, twin-turbo in-line six, will be $40,600. While no plans exist right now to import the European five-cylinder diesel model, Volvo president Vic Doolan says the common-rail diesel is a possibility for the model during its seven-year run. The XC90 goes on sale in the U.S. in November with what Volvo describes as the first roll-stability control system, which uses the brakes to restore vehicle stability if a sensor between the front seats detects imminent rollover.

• wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    If a base XC90 is $35,725, I would imagine the real selling price for an I5 without the third row would be roughly $40k? E.g. adding in packages many (but not all) buyers would add. Though at that point the $40k T6 becomes more of an option. I'd imagine maybe another $1k for the third row seat.

Either way, it's competitive, especially against, say, an ML320 whose street price is roughly similar.

The pricing is good. I wish Volvo would include scheduled maintenance with the purchase price, as does the ML320. Aren't Volvos fairly pricey for even regular maintenance?
    I agree, William. I didn't think prices would be this good. Now, if only Volvo would include scheduled maintenance with the purchase price... I don't have any idea how much maintenance for Volvos are nowadays.
    XC90 price news

Irvine, CA - Volvo Cars of North America, LLC (VCNA) announced pricing today of its first-ever sport-utility vehicle, the all-new 2003 Volvo XC90. Two all-wheel-drive versions of the XC90 will be offered initially when the vehicle goes on sale in November: the XC90 AWD and the XC90 AWD T6.

The XC90 AWD models will be equipped with Volvo's electronically controlled all-wheel-drive system, a $1,750 stand-alone option, bringing the initial price of the vehicle to a very competitive $35,100. Base price for the XC90 AWD T6, which includes leather seating surfaces, a power glass moonroof and an in-dash six-CD audio system, is $39,975. A front-wheel-drive XC90, scheduled to go on sale the first quarter of 2003, is aggressively priced at $33,350. The destination charge for all models is $625.

With 75 years of safety innovation behind it, the Volvo XC90 truly is the next-generation SUV. Incorporating the world's first Roll Stability Control (RSC) system, pretension seatbelts in all seating positions, an inflatable side curtain for the third row seats, and an integrated sliding center booster seat for children, along with a high-strength Boron steel roof structure, the XC90 combines both active and passive safety systems in one stunningly designed package. Additional standard safety features include Dynamic Stability Traction Control (DSTC), anti-lock brakes, WHIPS, Volvo's whiplash protection seats, and the SIPS side-impact protection system.

Powering the XC90 is a light pressure, turbocharged inline 5-cylinder engine that generates 208 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and 236 lb.-ft. of torque from 1,500-4,500 rpm.

The XC90 AWD T6 is motivated by a more powerful twin turbocharged inline-6 cylinder engine that makes 268 horsepower at 5,100 rpm and 280 lb.-ft. of torque from 1,800-5,000 rpm.

"Our designers and development engineers have shown great creativity in designing an SUV which optimizes all the inherent virtues of an SUV - versatility, capacity, driving position - with interior and exterior styling which is very distinctive and attractive," said Vic Doolan, President and CEO of Volvo Cars of North America. "At the same time they exercised conscience and consideration to ensuring the XC90 leads the segment in terms of safety for all occupants and consideration for all road users, environmental care and performance when it matters."

From a prominent Volvo forum :)

These are the variants that we will see in the US:
    XC90 AWD T6ASR5
    XC90 AWD T6ASR7
    XC90 AWD 2.5TA5
    XC90 AWD 2.5TASR5
    XC90 AWD 2.5TASR7

"SR" stands for the Geartronic transmission (5-speed for the 2.5T and 4-speed for the T6) and Sunroof.

"5" or "7" stand for the amount of available seats.

One can order a non-sunroof XC90 but only with the 2.5T engine and only with the 5-passenger configuration.

There will be FWD models available, but only limited in the NorthEast, mainly for the Southern and SouthWestern regions.

Volvo Retailers will get a non-sellable model in early October for people to test-drive while the first models will arrive (for sale/delivery) in early November.

Confirmed exterior colors:

019 Black
    189 White
    417 Nautic Blue Metallic
    426 Silver Metallic
    446 Ash Gold Metallic
    447 Cypress Green Metallic
    452 Black Sapphire Metallic
    454 Ruby Red Metallic
    456 Crystal Green Metallic

Interior colors:

C070 Graphite cloth/vinyl
    C080 Taupe cloth/vinyl
    C970 Graphite Leather
    C981 Taupe Leather

Available packaged options are:

XC90 2.5T AWD Premium Package:
    - Leather
    - Power Passenger Seat
    - Auto Dimming Mirror
    - HomeLink
    - Rear View Memory Mirrors
    - 6-CD Player In Dash

XC90 T6 AWD Premium Package:
    - Power Retractable Rear View Mirrors
    - Wood Steering Wheel
    - Premium Sound System
    - 18" ATLANTIS Alloy Wheels

XC 90 Security Package:
    - Laminated Windows
    - Level Sensor
    - Mass Movement Sensor
    - Infrared Windshield

XC 90 Climate Package:
    - Heated Front Seats
    - Headlamp Cleaners
    - Rain Sensor
    - Air Quality Sensor

Individual options are:

Center Booster Cushion
    Volvo Navigation System
    Bi-Xenon Headlamps (T6 only)
    Premium Sound System
    Rear Parking Assistance
    Cargo Protection Net
    Subwoofer
    17" NEPTUNE Alloys (std. T6, optional on 2.5T)
    Rear Head Phone Outlets

A Swedish source told to get ready for an XC90R (MY2004). It is all but a done deal, the only question is whether it will have a V8 or the S60R/V70R engine. It is rumored that Volvo (US) executives are pushing for the "R" engine rather than the V8.
  • newbie9newbie9 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE to get a new car (but can wait until XC90 is released).. this one really captured my interest. Having never owned a Volvo or bought the first year of any make/model, how wrong can I be in purchasing an XC90? I need honesty here! I like the safety features Volvo offers and has a reputation for (esp since I was just involved in an accident). I like to hold onto my cars for awhile and really want to make the right choice... comments, suggestions??
    I just purchased my first Volvo in May. Its a S60 2.4T that has exceeded my expectations and has been flawless (5,000 miles) so far. I plan to purchase the XC 90 in Dec. I have two young kids and safety is most import for me as well. With a new vehicle some recalls may occur. If you can live with that then go for it.
    It'll be a nice vehicle, but it is a shame that Volvo is only offering bi-xenon headlamps on the T6 model. Basically they're forcing folks to get the more expensive version when they can easily offer it on the 2.5T. The ML320 has bi-xenons as an option in each model. They're basically now considered a safety feature (improving vision on dark roads or in bad weather) and Volvo is known for safety, so why skimp and not at least offer it as an option?
    ...will likely trickle down to the 2.5T in succeeding model years. But, yes, I agree that if safety is priority for Volvo, it should have been made available from the get-go.
    I wonder if the headlamp housing on the 2.5T will accept a future "upgrade" to the bi-xenons? E.g. it's not as simple as upgrading the bulb and ballast, like aftermarket xenon retrofit kits try to do. The housing and its reflectors need to be designed specifically for the xenons as opposed to the halogens to get the optimal result.

Come to think of it, I'd imagine the T5's xenons are auto-leveling, and being extra cost, I guess it wouldn't be in the initial 2.5T's. So optimally upgrading a 2.5T may not be possible after all.
  • frizzellfrizzell Member Posts: 5
    The 2.5 T will be offered with Bi Xenon's as an option.

Info Courtesy of Volvospy:

Several friends at Volvo have sent me the pricing for the options packages for the XC90. While some of the packages price out about where I thought they would, the third seat versatility pkg is somewhat less than I expected, considering the package contents.

Bi-xenons are optional on both the 2.5T and T6 versions.

It seems that Volvo is going to give the XC90 the same promotion that it gave to the S60 two years ago, where the premium packages will be "introductory priced", meaning at this special price for a limited time. I expect the limited time to end possibly in the spring, when the base FWD
    version will arrive. While prices may become somewhat more negotiable when supply equals demand, perhaps by summer time, the retail MSRP will probably be $500-1000 higher as well by then, which would eliminate any real savings.

An almost fully optioned 2.5T/7-passenger with premium, climate pkg, versatility pkg, and metallic paint will MSRP for $41,020.

A similarly equipped 7-passenger T6 comes out to $43,915. If you loaded a T6 with Bi-Xenons, Nav DVD, and security pkg, you would be at $46,985.

These prices are within a few hundred $$$ of what I estimated we would bve seeing in several posts of a few months ago, so I think Volvo did well and listened to it's dealers to keep the pricing attractive.

As mentioned in an earlier posting, the base prices don't include the destination charge of $625.

Base price XC90 2.5T FWD $33,350
    AWD option 1,750
    Destination charge 625

2.5T includes power driver's seat, 16" alloys, Am/Fm/single in-dash CD)

2.5T option packages-

Premium pkg 2.5T 2,575
    (Power moonroof, leather seating, power passenger seat, 6-CD in-dash CD, auto-dimming mirror, Homelink, memory mirrors)

Versatility pkg 1,675
    (Third row seating, rear A/C/, integrated center child booster cushion, rear audio headphone outlets and controls, Nivomat self-leveling rear suspension)

Climate pkg 595
    (Heated seats, headlight wipers, rainsensor, IAQS)

Security pkg 675
    (Laminated side windows, level sensor, mass movement sensor, infrared windshield and front side windows)

Metallic paint 450
    Bi-Xenon w/auto level control 500
    (Requires the climate pkg)
    DVD Nav System 1,895
    17" Neptune alloys 500
    Premium sound 750
    (Dolby Pro Logic II, 6-CD in dash, requires the premium pkg)
    Rear headphone controls 100
    (Requires premium pkg)
    Integrated child booster 150
    Reverse warning system 400
    Cargo net 300
    Subwoofer 300
    (not with versatility pkg)

T6AWD Base price $39,975
    Destination charge 625

(T6 includes leather, power moonroof, 6-CD in-dash CD changer, pwoer driver/passenger seats, auto-dimming mirror, memory mirrors, Homelink, 17" Neptune alloys)

Premium pkg 1,300
    (18" Atlantis alloys, Premium sound system, power retractable rear view mirrors, wood steering wheel)

All of the other pkgs and single option are the same as the 2.5T version.

I expect to have overseas delivery pricing within the next few weeks, hopefully not later than early September. While I (and a half-dozen TDS customers of mine) can only keep our fingers crossed, I am hoping to still see the usual 8% or so savings off the MSRP, and at least a single travel voucher. As usual, I'll post updates when I get them.
    Any price on the Rear Entertainment System or is the RES the DVD Nav System?

OUCH! $300 for a cargo net? Thanks for the price list.
    Does that mean there are no rear air vents for vehicles without the Versatility pkg?
  • jdtenutajdtenuta Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard what kind gas mileage the XC90 will get? I'm curious if it is in the typical SUV 15 mpg range.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    surprised there isn't a comparison between these two euro vehicles. their pricing seems similar, although the Volvo is new and the ML is going towards its 6th year....

hopefully, the xc will not have the same reliability issues as the ml's first year...
    Perhaps there'll be an XC90 vs. ML comparison topic eventually.

This is conjecture until more reviews of the XC90 comes out. But from my perspective, the XC90 is obviously the car-based SUV, while the ML is the true truck-based one. The XC90 may well provide the more comfortable ride and more car-like drive, while the ML has a low-range and can handle "medium" off-roading and is more ideally suited for towing.

As far as safety goes, the XC90's roof structure looks to be very impressive and perhaps surpasses the ML's, which is certainly no slouch. The XC90's stability systems may be somewhat more advanced than the ML's, which are excellent. I believe the side curtains of the XC90's go all the way to the third row? I don't think the ML's do.

The ML possesses the more complete 4WD system than the XC90's Haldex, so I think it'll more capably handle a few (just a few) more unique situations. The ML also has rear side airbags standard (thoracic, around the chest area) while Volvo does not offer this option (some folks are uncomfortable with rear side airbags when there are kids there, but MB has supposedly tested them and found them to be safe for kids so long as they're not sleeping right on top of them).

I can't see first-year XC90 quality being any worse than first-year M-class quality. But I don't expect the XC90's first year to be stellar either. The M-class is still struggling to reach an "average" quality score in the eyes of Consumer Reports and JD Power, in the 2002 model year.

If it's true that the 2.5T will offer bi-xenons as an option, then there's no issue there. You can get bi-xenons for all trims of the M-class.

But I would think the two vehicles are fairly close in the safety area, where both manufacturers aspire to be market innovators. The Volvo adds some interesting touches the ML does not have (e.g. the slide-forward middle/2nd row seat, the night vision, audio options).

In the U.S. the M-class has computer-scheduled maintenance free for the four-years, something Volvo does not yet offer. Both probably won't be cheap to repair after the warranty, one might want to consider an extended one from Volvo or MB.

If I had to choose between the ML320 and the XC90 today, I'd have a tough choice. I like the XC90's probable more car-like manners and styling. I like the ML320's rear side airbags, though. If my priorities also favored some more capable towing and off-roading, I'd certainly lean toward the ML320.

In 2004, there'll be a new (unibody) ML320 and I'm sure it'll match and probably exceed the Volvo. For now, both are good choices.
    My understanding is all xc90's will have air vents on the second row b pillar and c pillar only on Versatility pkg's
  • jay_xc90jay_xc90 Member Posts: 9
    I think the air vents on the B pillar are standard. Poke around here under "interior" and it appears that only the third row is optional. http://vcc.volvocars.se/index.asp?mainurl=/pp/xc90/ . Also, the vesatility package implies that it only adds third row ventilation.
  • jay_xc90jay_xc90 Member Posts: 9
    Having a 2000 Moondust S80 T6, I hate the black plastic body side and bumper moldings. IMHO, the 2003 body color moldings look much better. With that in mind, I need to pick my XC-90 color at the dealer next Monday night. So... from the pictures we've all seen, what do you guys think about Ash Gold metallic (446) vs. Crystal Green metallic (456) *or* do I go with the Black Sapphire metallic (452) and "hide" the black body-side moldings altogether? I'm leaning towards the black after going through the websites that allow you to change colors, but am just wondering what other people think. Thanks for your input.
    I don't care for the dark plastic moldings either. Any of the 3 or 4 darker colors would tend to minimize the effect of the moldings. The other alternative is to order the decor option, which actually adds more molding, but in body color. This can be seen at http://www.volvoxc90.vcc.volvocars.se/main.asp which is the Swedish Volvo site. There you can call up a 3D picture and add options and change color. All that being said, I think I will order mine in the silver green. Since I won't order until spring of 04, perhaps they will have come round to body color moldings by then.

Cheers

Pat
  • luvsuvluvsuv Member Posts: 31
    For those who have seen or familiar with the XC 90, could you tell us if the 3rd row seat is spacious enough for the average adults?
    I have not seen the XC90 first-hand but I have seen a video on http://www.volvoxc90.com/xc90/movie.asp that describes the 3rd row seats. The video indicates that youngsters or adults who are no more than 160cm or 5'3" in height can sit comfortably in the 3rd row. Hope that helps. BTW, I strongly recommend viewing the videos as it also shows other features that the XC90 has.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Sorry for the major spam attack, but this one kinda sounds like fun...

A contact of ours is looking for a group of luxury SUV enthusiasts who would be willing to come to Irvine, CA August 24th from 9am to 3pm for a test drive, focus group and lunch. Participants will be compensated for their time. If you are interested in participating in this event, please send an email with your contact information as well as the model vehicle you drive to: chotti@earthlink.net.
    Thanks for your consideration!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,514
    will they fly me out from NJ?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What, you want airfare and lunch too? (if airfare were included, Tidester and I would be at the front of the line :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards