Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Absolutely!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    OK then. I don't actually like luxury SUVs anyway.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• xc70mattxc70matt Member Posts: 1
    Im a lucky one i got a lease on the XC90 T6 for winter of 2003 my lease on my 2001 V70XC will be up then! I preleased, it going to be great i cant wait either!
  • luvsuvluvsuv Member Posts: 31
    Crikey,

Thanks for the the link to the video. I couldn't jusge the amount of leg room but the 5'3" limit gives me a general idea.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    xc70matt, would you mind sharing your leasing numbers so that we can get an idea how much moola one will part with? BTW, how is/was reliability of your V70 XC? My boss drives one and he raves about it, is your experience the same?
    You can also try http://www.volvoxc90.vcc.volvocars.se/frameset.asp and view the XC90 in 3D. One of the displays show the rows of seats as they are folded down. It will, again, give you a general idea of legroom. Also, from various pictures, it seems that the 2nd row sits on rails that may allow it to move forward. I'm not sure if one can set it to a forward position or if the rails just facilitate ease of entry into the 3rd row. I know, more questions...can't wait to see the vehicle.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    It's just my opinion that this new Volvo XC90 is the classic Volvo station wagon reborn, only with AWD and a full host of luxury features. It's like the BMW X5; it's a wagon on steroids and stilts made up to look like and be an SUV. Comments, anyone?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Comments?

Just one ... and that's why it'll be wildly successful!
  • sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    I too would like to know leasing numbers. First year reliability being an issue. Someone rumored on another board about free maintence like Audi, any truth?
  • obiwankenobeobiwankenobe Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone. interesting read, so I went out and spoke to the dealer on when it would be available, how much deposit to get one etc.

My question is this: will this be available on the A plan for ford employees? I have conflicting info on this. I spoke to the customer service center for the A plan, and they said, yes and have the dealer call if there are any questions. one dealer said availability on A plan in 2004, other said available 6/2003.
    any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.
    By the way, if I do book it without the A plan, how does one negotiate a price when the XC is not actually there yet?
  • jay_xc90jay_xc90 Member Posts: 9
    I don't know about the A plan, but I already have an X plan PIN and my dealer (Michigan) said no problem -- he'll be happy to honor the X price, whatever it is. He then gave me his list of incoming XC-90s that were still early enough in the production queue to be modified to exactly the options I wanted. (I don't need mine until my T6 lease expires in January) Of course, he doesn't know yet what the X plan price will be any more than I do at this point.
    I also inquired, via email, about the X-Plan with a couple of dealers in my area. So far, only one responded and they are not sure about it yet. But, they mentioned that there is a bias towards honoring the X-Plan price in early 2003, around January/February.

BTW, dealer participation for X-Plan pricing is voluntary. So, it would be wise to touchbase with the dealers in your area to inquire about X-Plan participation on certain vehicles. Since the XC90 looks like it's going to be a hit, not all dealers may honor X-Plan pricing.
  • booklawbooklaw Member Posts: 2
    What's the scoop with availabilty. THe USA volvo site lists November as the the arrival date. How realistic is this date? Of course my current lease expires mid to late Oct. If I have to make alt arrangements for a few weeks I will, but I don't want to wait months.
    Also, what's the deal with the "A" plan and "X" plans? Does this mean the price is up in the air? Please provide any specifics (in particular, I'm interested in the higher end units for a 36-42 month lease).
    THANX
    Thanks for all the info. since we are across the river from detroit, does your dealer happen to be in the metro area?
    I do not mind where I buy it, a/x plan will sure beat the thing I dread, negotiating. also the potential benefit of the xchange rate is negated if I do not get the a plan
    See www.fordpartner.com, I think Canada is one of the choices for Country Code.
    Initially, availability will be scarce like most new vehicles. I do think that Volvo will come through with their November target, if not earlier. Ask your nearby dealer for details.

A/X-Plan pricing is a special buying program for companies that do business with Ford. I can't help you with the leasing details. Still waiting for xc70matt to give us the details.
  • conbugconbug Member Posts: 13
    I got to get up close and personal with a live XC90 at the Thornton Winery in Temecula, CA. It was on display for one of the weekend concerts there (it is on display in Irvine the rest of the week). This one was silver with a taupe leather interior. It looks nice and appears to be about the same size as a BMW M5. The third row seat looked like it would be okay for kids, but adults would probably not be too comfortable. The thing that surprised me was the lack of leg room in the 2nd row! It seemed to be less than that of a V70. I think to give some more room to the third row, they took a little from the second. Personally I think that unless you need the 7 seats, I'd look at one of the V70 variants (2.4, 2.4t, T5, XC) especially if you are concerned about safety. The XC90 is taller, and stability system or not, it has to be more prone to rollovers than a V70 (physics being physics). It looks really cool though and the rep was great letting me drool all over it!
  • conbugconbug Member Posts: 13
  • spudmurphyspudmurphy Member Posts: 1
    xc70matt said he ordered with a lease. What was your lease rate, residual, etc. Can you update us with your numbers or anyone else out there have the example?
    is now available at http://www.volvoxc90.com/xc90/ with pricing.
  • jay_xc90jay_xc90 Member Posts: 9
    I've tried it on two different computers; each time the website says it cannot process my request and to make sure that I have cookies enabled on my computer (for that site, I dropped my cookie security down to zero). Is anyone else having trouble?

P.S. to Obiwan
    Yes; Detroit area.
    Yes the website is a problem. I built one on the swedish website posted about 20 back. I'm waiting to hear about leases as well as if the MDX will get VSC.

Turbo engines usaully can be chipped for higher HP/torque, VW and Audi are masters at it, I've never checked into Volvo's. Any info on a T5 being chipped and its increases in power? Our VW Bug is 150hp stock, 215hp chipped, no other add-ons not bad for $500 bucks.
    Answered my own question about chipping.

Found 4 companies, 2 of which I'm familiar with and reputable here in the states, all will chip a T5 and add 32-34hp and 54-59ftpds or torque for $400-500. They do the T6 also with the same increase, and what a beast that would be with over 300hp. Upsolute and GiacUsa
  • albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    It works from the FWD ($35100) entry.
    I've built several XC90s in any configuration, no problems. So, I can't say it's the website.
    I dropped cookie to low and restarted internet explorer and then it worked.

xc_90 do you think you could point me in the direction of your dealer? my email is genres1@hotmail.com

sailing216 what is exactly does chipping do and what do you mean when you say "reputable"? any info or links to more info appreciated
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    First Drive: 2003 Volvo XC90

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Chipping: Go to an affiliated office or send in your ECU (car computer chip) with overnight shipping and you'll get it back the next day chipped, or they do it right in front of you. www.upsolute.com programs (flashes) your stock chip to add more boost in the turbo with all the same ratios to torque and maintain the same curves. Result is more power and better gas mileage, yet they know what your engine is capable of and don't push the limit by adding so much boost as to blow your engine. Upsolute programs your ECU with encription so your dealer won't notice and can't change it when you take it into the shop. www.Giacusa.com solders it's own small computer chip onto your computer chip. Giac offers a "flip switch" for an extra hundred or so they can let you change your programs of your engine on the fly. Stock mode for taking it to the dealer, valet mode which cuts out all turbo power (usually ordered by people with extremely fast cars), Race mode which requires 100 octane race gas (wouldn't be needed with an SUV), and normal Chipped mode. Some chipped cars get more power if you have them/or they offer to chip at higher octane (we in ohio have 93 octane everywhere, Cali only has 91). Reputable means that owning a VW, I know these companies have been doing it for years on Audi's and VWs. With a VW, www.goAPR.com is winning the race against GIAC, but they don't do Volvos. I would say GIAC is alittle more reputable, but alittle more expensive ($500 vs. $370 for upsolute)
    Car manufactures don't like chipping and threaten warranty voided. That's why the Chip tuning companies use encription and give you the ability to change to Stock settings when going to the dealership. Dealer's computers won't detect it, but if they road test the car, they will notice, or if they look at the ECU directly, they'll notice with GIAC. I've let you know of worst case scenarios with engine blowing, dealer voiding warranty, but I've come across a hundred or so people with chipped cars and none have had any of the proplems listed. The shops that chip will give alot more info on the concerns. I don't know the lag time with chipping the XC90, probably weeks.

Pretty good review of the XC90. They mentioned minivan alot and wagon, then again I think every car in it's class looks like a minivan or wagon on roids. Everyone always says X5 when benchmarking, it's a 5 series wagon with all wheel drive jacked up. I like wagons, so it's not a negative to me. If I want a brutish truck, Durango and Yukon are in the price range.
  • eandyleeeandylee Member Posts: 28
    I'm seriouly considering XC90 over MDX. But I absolutely want to do the Euro Delivery. Anybody has any info about Euro Delivery on XC90? Will Volvo offer it and price it as good as other models?

Also, is the Volvo's Euro price really non-negotiable set price?
    Not sure that anything special is coming for XC90 but one can persue overseas delivery at http://new.volvocars.com/overseas/

Currently, the page does not include XC90 in the list of vehicles.

Overseas for XC is more than $4000 less MSRP, I hope they do similar pricing on XC90
    one might get the same discount on the XC90 without the travel, that is, unless one wants the adventure. :)
    Should I be an employee of a company partnering with Ford or something?

Essentially, yes. Or a member of an organization that has this benefit.

A/X Plan pricing is probably close to invoice price + a certain percentage profit. For example, X-Plan pricing for a Volvo is A-Plan (employee) price + 2%. The X-Plan price is normally displayed on the official invoice of the vehicle one is interested in. So, it's wise to always demand to see the invoice of the vehicle.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    I thought x plan worked out to invoice plus 2%.
    Overseas Delivery is still better deal than AZX-plan(which I'm not even eligible) for me; $3000-4000 below MSRP which is actually below invoice. Right now they are even throwing in free air tickets. Especially because I can use a few days of vacation in Europe.

And I doubt that you can combine the two?
    Unless you know how much the invoice price of an XC90 is, you would not know whether overseas pricing is below invoice. Like I said, if you like the adventure part of it, it would be the way to go. Not sure if you can combine the 2.
    per www.fordpartner.com, it says A-Plan price + 2%. A-Plan price could be equal to invoice price, though.
    Overseas price for almost all the other models are below invoice.

For example invoice for XC Wagon is $34,935, and Oversease price is $33000
    And 2 free round trip tickets for now

http://new.volvocars.com/overseas/

volvo sets the similar overseas pricing trend for XC90. The free tickets are a great incentive also.
    2002 C70 Coupe,
    Invoice: $35898
    OD: $33900 (2 Free air ticket included)

No other deal or plan X Y Z or whatever can beat that.

I just hope they do the same thing with XC90
    not having to travel to another country in another continent to buy a car. :) factor in your time, getting days off work, like i said, if one makes a vacation out of it, fine, great deal.

x y z plan makes it easy for people who prefer to just go to their local volvo retailer to buy a volvo.
    That's where personal preference comes in...
    'cause I don't mind at all having little overseas vacation especially to Europe. I bought my 325xi in Germany last year and I enjoyed it.
    ...are only available if one gets the XC90 with the Climate package. Thus, inflating the $500 option to be $1095. This kinda sucks for me. I hope Volvo offers this as a standard feature in the next model year, along with a 5spd or CVT tranny with the T6.
    I would actually like overseas delivery if I did not have twin 13-month old infants. Believe me, it ain't a picnic being in a plane with twin infants. So, X-Plan works for me.
    My wife is pregnant with twin right now, Due around late November. Of course we are planning to travel letting my mother take care of the twin for a week.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    There was an article in Auto Week on line, that indicated that the Government was getting ready to step in with some sort of regulation on these things, as they had gotten so many complaints about excess brightness. I would be more concerned about getting some form of the "nite vision". I think that will allow you to "see" thru fog, since tarmac will retain heat from the day, so you should see an outline of the road's heat.
    Cheers
    Pat
    one boy and one girl - a golden pair. good for you if you can leave your twins with someone for a vacation. good luck, you will enjoy having twins, except for airplane rides, of course. :)
    i did hear about that HID issue...mostly elderly people were affected, or complained, rather. true, night vision would probably work better.
    The twins are the reason for us to consider buying XC90. We were originally planed to have 2 kids but with the surprise, plan chaged to 3 kids back to back. XC90 should somehow work for 5 of us asumming we don't have more twins.
    same here -- kids are primarily the reason why people like us consider vehicles like volvos, or any vehicle considered safer than most. I would probably be looking at a totally different vehicle if i did not have kids.

and yes, you want to raise your twins first, before having another set of twins. at least until they're about 3 or 4. then, you'll want something bigger than the XC90. :)