Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• rk17rk17 Member Posts: 2
    They promised to sell us an LX model at MSRP -- no extra charges or packages. This was over a month ago and we have been checking with them almost every week. Today they caleed back saying that we need to buy an extra package worth $2000+ in order to get on the list. It was the standard "auto dealer speak" the agent that you spoke to didn't have the complete information ... we will have to deal with her internally ... blah blah blah.

Any recommendations on other dealers selling LX models at MSRP in the NJ/NY area?
  • tag9tag9 Member Posts: 39
    http://www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html

(Select year and then Honda Truck)

I believe you'll only get titles since Honda restricts access to consumers.

• slockoslocko Member Posts: 111
    Try Academy Honda on Route 9 in Old Bridge/Parlin. The guy (John S.) told me msrp no addons.
  • ody2002ody2002 Member Posts: 17
    Nice observations, Shelly and others! Yes, it certainly looks like a CD changer is installed but it was not mentioned in Honda's specifications and advertisement brochures etc. I will treat it like a nice gift from Honda :-)
  • ian2ian2 Member Posts: 168
    If the dealer is offering you $3000 instead of $19500, give them the $3000 in cash and sell the car somewhere else. See what they say. :)
  • jimblockjimblock Member Posts: 62
    The CD/DVD player has controls to control a CD-changer. This does not necessarily imply that the changer is included -- it could be an add-on option. For example, my 1994 Accord EX has buttons to control an optional CD-player, but it did not come with a CD-player.

On the other hand, it would be nice if Honda included the CD-changer with it...
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Well the Honda salespeople are milking every penny they can from this thing. I bet the CD changer will be optional, not standard.
  • shellymeister1shellymeister1 Member Posts: 52
    With all due respect to JimBlock, if you look at the photos, there is no more room for a SEPARATE CD changer that can be controlled by the main unit. Therefore the CD changer is intergrated with the main CD/AM/FM unit. Additionally, I just picked up the new 2002 Ody brochure from the dealer, and it offers a 6 cd changer as an option and pictures a unit that would mount below the standard cassette or cd unit, but would definitely not fit under the larger DVD/CD unit. On another note- the 2002 brochure has a photo of the Ody in Havasu Blue......all I can tell you is...thank g-d I changed my color preference to Mesa Beige! The blue looks my grandmother's Ford Tempo.
  • striperdougbstriperdougb Member Posts: 1
    I have been trying for a month to get on Kay Honda's 2002 Odyssey list. They seem totally clueless about when they will get word of their allocation. I have been pointing out to the salesman (Anthony S) where to look on the web and find lists of new features and pricing. In all fairness, they only asked for a $200 refundable deposit and haven't even processed my card yet. Academy Honda of Old Bridge is owned by same parent company (DCH). I wouldn't expect big difference in pricing, but I am gonna give 'em a call and see.
  • jasoninwijasoninwi Member Posts: 9
    I agree with shellymeister1 - the CD changer is an OPTION and not standard on any model. Check the brochure. I'm not sure how it's integrated into the dash since the pic of the option doesn't show any other controls, just the CD changer. I'd guess it goes into a spare cubby slot (like my CR-V now has right below the standard in-dash CD) But then what will the main control look like? Will it be a cassette version of the AM-FM stereo and the CD-Changer a separate unit below it somewhere - is it one whole bigger unit. That nice interior pic a few posts back was of the Leather package with RES and the controls and added disc slot is for the DVD. Can someone tell us about the standard EX with adding 6-disc changer option? Where would that go and what becomes of what would have been a standard single disc in-dash unit? Anybody up on the cost of various options?
    Looks to me the CD changer (as shown in the pic I posted previously) is a standard for EXL-RES model, it could be a 6 disk DVD/CD changer because there is a DVD sign over the changer, and it has 6 buttons just like the optional CD changer for 2002 Ody as listed on 2002 Ody Accessories.

I have just gone through 2002 Ody Accessories at http://handa-accessories.com/odyelec02.html . The optional CD changer is very different from the RES, six Disk In-Dash CD Changer costs $450 on that website, if you shop around, the Pioneer version (just fits well) costs under $300. This one has no difference from 2001 model.
  • jpcjpc Member Posts: 10
    Thought it was interesting this morning as I was commuting through Hartford, CT I see a new Mesa Beige EX on a car carrier. There was only a single EX on the car carrier along with a mix of other new cars. As hard as I tried, I could not read the sticker (the EX was on the top level of the carrier.)
    Rather puzzling, this; not one picture of the EXL-RES dash in the brochure.

The inside back cover lists the specifications and features. Under the heading "Interior Features", the LX has "w/4 speakers" in the row entitled "AM/FM Stereo Cassette" while the EX and EXL have "w/6 speakers" in the next row down which is entitled "AM/FM Stereo CD Player" (i.e. no mention of a cassette).

One page shows the entire EX (non-RES) interior and I can see neither a cassette player nor a CD changer. There is, however, an open space directly beneath the stereo, a space which would seem to accomodate a CD changer or cassette player.

The plot thickens............
  • gowenlockgowenlock Member Posts: 11
    Sorry if this topic has already been dicussed. We are considering getting an Ody soon. Being the frugal minded person that I am, I don't see that it is worth the extra money for the EX. It seems most of that is for the power doors. I could always add keyless entry and tweek the stereo system like some others have. But does anyone feel there are features on the EX that you couldn't be without? And does anyone have any knowledge about this heat rejecting glass on the EX? Thanks for any feedback.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    There are other features other than power doors.

Keyless Entry
    Honda Alarm System
    am/fm/cd player
    climate control
  • darelldddarelldd Member Posts: 20
    Might be small, but the paint-matched mirrors and handles adds a little something over the LX. Oh, and the alloy wheels. It adds up.

- Darell
  • minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    Look back one or 2 pages to a previous post of mine (approx #3100) called "power sliding doors" - it is right under the giant picture of the beige dashboard. It has my take on the EX / LX debate (I own an EX but with some reservation now...)
  • bostongardenbostongarden Member Posts: 25
    Many consider me a somewhat frugal person -- not cheap :-) -- whereas I consider myself a value-oriented consumer. We own a 2001 EX and I am very happy that we elected to go with this over the LX. I was leaning toward the LX, however, my wife wanted the EX and a certain person who is now a host of this board and shall go unnamed, assessed my situation and preferences upon my request and recommended highly the EX.

First, here is what I can not believe...perhaps decadent, but I LOVE the power doors and find myself wishing that all the doors would operate automatically. Without experiencing the doors, I could not imagine the delight and value that I now see in using them every time I use the auto for travel with any of my three children who are all under six. Were I in a situation again where I had to chose LX or EX, it would be EX without a heartbeat of hesitation.

I like the look of the alloys and I am very happy that I see them every day; drive difference is subtle with the alloys and not perceivable to most, so I feel this is largely a design issue, but I love the sportier and more sophisticated look of the alloys (but wait, don't barf yet...). Similarly, I like the look of the color matching on the mirrors, handles and body side molding. Could one live without that? Absolutely yes with respect to functionality, however, remember that overall utility and pleasure is also a function of psychological aspects as well, though the degree to which these types of factors play a role is one that you will have to assess for yourself. The auto climate control still doesn't matter much too me, however, my wife prefers it. I would prefer a tape player over the CD, but that is largely a function of the fact that most of our kids prerecorded audio is on cassette tape. I could not live without the remote security system. As far as the glass...I do not know the differences between the LX and EX, however, I will say that our 2001 EX's ability to maintain a cool cabin on 90+ degree days was superior to that of my 1993 Lexus LS400. At the present time, the roof rack setup does not matter to either my wife or I. Finally, the power seat is also very important to me given the difference in seat position preferences between my wife and I. To adjust the seat manually every time I enter the driver seat would drive me up the wall. Once in a while would be ok, however, over the span of the few months that we have owned it and in anticipation of how often I will drive the EX over the next few years, the power seat is a must have for me.

In summary, the doors, the power seat and the appearance differences are worth it to me, a frugal person who also is somewhat of an auto enthusiast. I am most surprised by how much I love the power doors. Good luck with your decision.

• inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    When did the EX get a security system? My 99 EX did not have one. Is this new for 2002?
    INKY
  • bostongardenbostongarden Member Posts: 25
    I believe the security system became standard on the EX starting with the 2001 model.
  • barry92barry92 Member Posts: 3
    I know the 2002 has 3 new colors but I haven't been able to find what they look like anywhere on the web. Can anyone direct me to a site?

Thanks
  • dfitz1dfitz1 Member Posts: 9
    Re: Bostongarden comments on LX vs. EX, I thought the EX came with BOTH the cassette and CD capability - checked the 2001 brochure and I guess I had that wrong...
  • ukrickukrick Member Posts: 66
    Ody EX does not come with both cassette and CD. CD is standard. If you also want cassette, you can either add one yourself. Or special order your Ody with both. I think it's an additional $300-$400. After market would be a better way to go.
    Scroll up to post #3062 or try the following link:

http://www.fototime.com/{AF7258FA-D947-448C-9502-3969F453DD24}/picture.jpg
  • gowenlockgowenlock Member Posts: 11
    I just wanted to thank you folks for taking time to give me some honest input in my decision-making process, especially bostongarden and miniman. I see you're both from MA. That makes me homesick since I lived 9 years in MA (originally from RI, currently in TX with the military) and my husband got his masters at Bentley. Thanks again for the help. The hard part is opening the checkbook!
  • hillbiehillbie Member Posts: 10
    I am just determined to get an answer. I have a deposit at a dealer who is waiting for my decision about which ody I want. The longer I wait the more delayed the delivery will be.

I see this is a hot topic. Honda has done a terrible job explaining the features of the console on the RES system. I have called several dealers who can't confirm anything, yet a manager at one dealer (whom I won't name) insists that the RES does not come with an audio cassette. He is also insisting that because of the design of the console that an audio cassette can not be added. I need an audio cassette, so this is important. Is he right?

I even called Honda direct. They couldn't answer the question either and told me that the dealers know everything....what a joke. They had the sales manager I mentioned above, call me.

Take a look at this photo. If arrow "A" is not pointing to a cassette, what is it? Arrow "B" is pointing to a button that indicates "eject". There is even a button that says tape just left of the "A". Does anyone have any info???

Looks like under your red letter "A" you can partially make out the letters "TAP". Would that mean audio tape or cassette? Just a thought...
    I grabbed the following from a page on the College Hills Honda web site:

EXL-RES Standard Features (adds to EXL model)
    - DVD Rear Entertainment System with 7" LCD Display
    - Front Controls or Wireless Remote Control
    - Audio/Video Input Jacks
    - 2 Infrared Wireless Headphones
    - AM/FM Stereo CD/Cassette with 6 Speakers

Note the last line specifically states "CD/Cassette" and this information is listed under "Finalized features for the 2002 Odyssey". Taken together with the image from Hondanews.com, it appears rather definitive; the RES package includes a cassette player. Either that or Honda is soliciting a class action suit.

Here's the link in the event anyone would like to check it out:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/2002.htm
    Here's a direct quote from the hondanews web site:

"The Honda DVD entertainment system, the first factory-installed integrated DVD system for a minivan, features an all-new crystal clear 7-inch widescreen LCD display (for optimum visibility) that flips down from the ceiling at the push of a button for rear seat passengers. The extended capabilities of the DVD player allow for either DVD, CD, radio, cassette tapes and auxiliary inputs (such as video games, VCRs or cameras) to be played in the rear seating areas while the front passengers can listen to a different audio source."

Hope this helps!
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    I wonder has anyone done anything to spice up the interior of the Odyssey. Wifey and I like the functionality of the Ody, the price, the reliability etc. However, she is a little bit worry about the interior which seem very bland. Does anyone has experience of putting some aftermarket wood trim etc in the Ody? Any picture that I can find on the net? It will help me close the "sale" with wifey (The alternative is an MDX but it is $$$ more or the doghouse. Heh heh.).. Thanks.
  • shellymeister1shellymeister1 Member Posts: 52
    I have used an aftermarket wood dash kit on my '99 Ody. I have a Granite Green/ Beige interior Ody, and I used a Rosewood Veneer product. The dashboard appearance definitely moves upscale with this combination. I've gotten quite a few compliments on this setup. In fact, some people who I have had in the vehicle before & after the installation, immediately noticed that something was a lot better looking, even if they did not realize immediately what was added. The Autodash link posted by TopGun is an excellent source. By the way, if you are even a little handy, you can do the job yourself, as the dealer will use far fewer pieces and charge you twice as much.
    Yes, this RES DVD player can play DVD (North America region, I bet), CD, tape cassettes. But the DVDs produced for other regions (like Asia), and VCDs or super VCDs are not mentioned in the Honda news.
  • viskhaviskha Member Posts: 35
    Anyone know if the EX-L-NAV has a trip computer in it like the Acura MDX (as far as I have heard the navigation system is the same on Acura as well as Honda automobiles). This uses the same screen as the Navigation system and provides data on elapsed distance and time, gas mileage, and remaining distance on the fuel left in the tank. It also provides info on outside temperature and direction of travel (North, South, etc.). Since the Navigation system costs the same on both vehicles is Honda offering the same "toys" on the NAV?
  • jimblockjimblock Member Posts: 62
    The Good News:The Navigation system is the same as the one used in Acuras (and in 2000 and 2001 Odysseys) -- I was in a friend's brand new Acura TL-S with the Navigation System (latest DVD - updated 9/1/2001.).

The bad news -- The Acura trip computer and outside temperature features ARE NOT part of the Navigation System and do NOT use the Navigation System Screen. This information appears on a small display on the dash below the speedometer.

Therefore the Navigation System does not include these features, unfortunately.
  • jrm2002jrm2002 Member Posts: 6
    Hello Fellow Honda lovers. I am new to posting at this site but have read for 2 months about the
    latest news about The new 2002 Odyssey.
    I had originally signed papers on a 2001 that was due to arrive 2 weeks ago.
    After searching the town hall site I found all the info that the Dealers were "Keeping Secret"
    Including pricing, options, colors, ECT.
    They would not even give me prices or any info,
    even though I was told by another employee
    that they had all the New brochures and data
    under lock and key to prevent any lost 2001 sales.
    Well,thanks to this site when they called the next
    week with my 2001 in. I told them I would wait for the 2002 Model. Needless to say they were not happy. However, My wait has ended: I just got home tonight with my 2002 EX from the dealer.
    The first, I am told to be sold in the area,
    this I havn't confirmed yet. But I would like to thank all the people here who share information.
    The administrators and info here are the greatest
    and I cant thank you enough.
  • minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    I really like to look of the chrome-ringed gauges on the dashboard (like in many Chryslers). The Odyssey gauges would probably accomodate such a product, and looking at Accord gauges, I bet it would fit both vehicles. Has anyone found such an aftermarket product?
    Congratulations! I think you're one of the first people owns 2002 Odyssey on this board.

Please tell us how you feel about driving the new car.
    With the DOW falling and production rising starting in November. Odyssey buyers will be in a much better position starting early next year--despite the nice improvements and wild popularity.
    I hope all the dealers that were most unfair and gouged the most will suffer the most in the hard times to come. Honest men deal for the long haul-not the quick buck. Come on Alabama.
    Hey new 2002 guy/gal tells us about the van--you said nothing. Power ? WOW? come on...
    INKY
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    We had a meeting with our new Honda rep the other day. Seems that the initial production of 150 Odysseys will be this month. All of those vans are to go into demonstrator service. Honda's plans are for the plant to be at max capacity by March 2002. Manufacturing then will be split with the new Honda SUV at that time.

I look for an increase in Odysey supply. We get 20-25 per month now, and really could use 35-40. The new SUV (unamed as off yet) will definately be welcomed.
    optional. From what I've been able to determine, the EX can accomodate the in-dash changer while the RES changer is mounted under the driver's seat.
    Since the new suv would not be stacking up at the factory it would be for sale at that time (March). That is very interesting to me. I have a sneaking suspicion Honda will dump minivans glalore prior to the switch to new Honda SUV (ie MDX brother not cousin). I expect real quanity of new Honda SUV in mid-late 2003. Until then they can capitalize on MDX/Odyssey production as the DOW sinks and unemployment rises. Oops new prediction: All will be well in the Spring! I hope this is not akin to VW getting the "rabbit" made in the US (Pittsburg Factory) and then gas getting cheap again. As Honda commercials say "Timing is everything"
    INKY
  • djg2djg2 Member Posts: 7
    Hey did yall catch Healy's review of Oddy 02 in USA Today? He likes the Dodge/Chyrsler better for his money. Still doesn't like the tranny, among other things. Hope he is on their payroll as I've had my oddy ordered for a month now.
    I love how he talks about "take-it-or-leave it salespeople" at Honda dealerships and "no wait" and "serious discounts" at Chrysler dealerships. This kind of stuff is REALLY dealer specific and should not form the basis for recommending a particular vehicle.

I mean, my local Chrysler dealer is a piece of work. They have relatively few vans on their lot and service is flat out lousy; no loaners, no evenings or Saturdays, long lead times, etc. Yet, according to the **owner**, eschewing the "huge discounts" other dealers offer permits them to offer their customers a significantly higher level of service. Yeah, right. I'll bet Healy would change his tune if he had to deal with this guy.
  • 2004runner2004runner Member Posts: 12
    Our Honda dealer called me yesterday with news of a 2002 Honda EX-L NAVI that showed up on their inbound list. My wife and I went in and signed the paperwork last night - it's our's, and we should have it in a week. Just in time for vacation. I never thought I'd be happy about a minivan, but everything I've read and heard about the 2002 Odyssey, I must admit after trying to locate one at almost every Honda dealer in Northern California, I'm pretty happy about this purchase.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Rumors floating around say that the new Honda SUV will actually have a longer wheelbase than the MDX. Think of it as an Odyssey, without the wedge shape, available awd, and a higher ground clearance.
  • bradley01bradley01 Member Posts: 3
    Just took delivery of our GG 2002 EX. Will post later about van, got to go drive now!!
  • felixdacat13felixdacat13 Member Posts: 25
    I picked up my Odyssey at the beginning of June. I just got back from a Georgia to New York round trip. Till that drive, I had only put 2K on the odometer, and it was 98% city (actually suburban) miles.
    Until the trip, I was getting concerned about the mileage I was getting, roughly 16 MPG. But once out on the highway, my ODY started getting 24MPG. In fact, I had no idea of how large my gas tank was until I took the long drive (the manual says almost 20 gallons). That's because the need gas light comes on so early. I figure that I have 5-6 gallons left when it first makes an appearance. I wish there was something to do about that.
    The van was great on the long trip. I even got a speeding ticket in Virginia (but who doesn't). Going 70MPH in this van, feels like your standing still. My Ody wanted to go 80, and I let it (except for the rest of the driving in Virginia).
    The entertainment center was a big help with the kids.
    I still hate the stereo, but my wife promises me a sub woofer for my birthday, which is only a few weeks away.
  • scott_807scott_807 Member Posts: 2
    I posted the 2002 prices a couple of weeks ago...

....got my 2002 this past Thursday. Nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice van.

Got the Redrock Pearl EX. Had my name on the list at Dan Young Honda in Indianapolis since early June. Went through their internet group.

For all of you that are wondering about the improvments they are worth it. Am waiting to break the engine in before I see what it will do, but there is no wanting for power. It will be fun when I see a Mazda with a "zoom zoom" sticker, ha! The ride is great. No torque steer. Paid flat MSRP (+$895 for the extended warrenty thanks to the tip on the board about the upstate New York dealership that was selling them at a discount) and got the first Red one in the five state area (or so I am told). Hope the paint holds up. This is a long term purchase for us and it is pretty. Now all I have to do is quit driving it because is supposed be my wifes!

Great Vehicle
  • djg2djg2 Member Posts: 7
    Scott-
    Details or a reference # for the warranty please. My 02 EX SS due any day now. Thanks.