Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• dunmicdunmic Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone hear this news "Volvo will have price increases across the board for all 2004 models"?

My volvo agent called me this past weekend told me this news and in order to honor my deal, I have to sign a fixed price agreement which saying I have to pay the msrp, no negotiation. I have recently ordered XC90 T5

I checked other site but no info related to that
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Went into effect Sept 1.
    All orders placed before Aug 26 will be honored at the old price, but only if the price protection paperwork is signed and sent to Volvo by Sept 9.
    Increase is between $300 and $500 on average.
  • randyvarandyva Member Posts: 3
    We picked up our T6 in April and now have more than 15,000 miles on it, after a full summer of driving coast to coast. My overall impression: wish I'd bought the Lexus. Here are my top level complaints: 1. The 4-speed transmission is terrible. Constant shifting, even slight uphills make the engine roar, lots of pauses (total loss of power for 1/3 second) when you need acceleration. 2. Cabin noise is very high (see 1) for a $50k "luxury" car, much higher than my old 850. 3. The ventilation system can't keep up with the large front window (I have the "security" pkg which for some reason reduced the tinting). We spent most of our vacation either too hot (air not blowing directly on us) or too cold (air blowing on us). 4. The radio and all the center console lights are invisible in daylight, particularly with sunglasses. It's impossible to tell what position all the pushbutton switches are in. 5. The center console around the radio gets so hot you can't touch it. Small children can burn their fingers on the metal. Volvo dealer says that is normal. We do like the mileage (14 mpg pulling a trailer at 80 mph cross country, maybe 17 mpg overall) and passing power on freeways is good. Fit and finish are average, lots of little gaps and wrinkles not seen on other luxury cars. It was annoying to pay $1200 for the trailer hitch, but the standard maintenance has been less than $200. Again, overall, I wish we had purchased the Lexus GX 470. Just one family's opinion....
  • bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    Comparing notes... Weren't 1 & 2 addressed by Volvo (software update and turbo part)? Never heard of 3 & 5 before, certainly not my experience. Item 4 is somewhat of a problem in certain light, mostly the radio display; haven't had a problem seeing any switches. Fit and finish seem fine on models I've seen. Trailer hitch & wiring was about $700 installed. You go 80 mph pulling a trailer?! Yikes!!!
  • luv6717luv6717 Member Posts: 7
    After posting my 2004 XC90 arrival this August, I can honestly say: I love this car! I never thought I'd EVER buy a Volvo, but I'm very glad I did. I've already broke in 2000miles since August. I think the only problem I did have was getting used to the side-view mirrors. I believe someone did post this issue in the very beginning of this discussion. The side view mirrors are big enough to see from, but when you turn your head to check the blind side, the car is made so much more roomier that the driver side pillar is the first thing you see. However, I think that's just something to get used to, especially from driving a smaller car like my old Toyota Corolla or even a Chevy Blazer. My boyfriend did place these blind spot mirrors on the side-views, which STILL had some getting used to. Or MAYBE I'm just very eager to drive this bad boy! Anyhow, the gas mileage, I can see, is getting better. After taking a trip to Monterey last week, I got almost an average of 24-25mpg on the highway. The stop & go in the city averages 17-18mpg. Not bad. I can't wait to take this car to Tahoe. To comment on the question about uphill driving: Living in the East Bay Hills & driving to work in SF, no problems driving uphill everyday, no lag, substantial power. I DID test drive the T6 before getting my car, AND I still went ahead and purchased the 2.5TAWD. I believe it has almost the same power (driving feel-wise) and you save on gas, of course! I cannot comment on the pull since I don't plan on hitching anything. But I do love the nav system, standard sound system, roomy cargo space (esp. the groceries holder in the back), my heated seats, safety features, and the fact that it's a very unique car/SUV out on the roads right now. So, I guess you can say that I love this car?! Can you tell?
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    I use CD-R's in my C70 and am expecting that they will also work in our XC90 once we get it. I have found that the TDKs tend to be the best ones.

Though I have not tried it, I understand that CD-RW's do not work in the player.

Hope that helps.
  • glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    I've burned some tracks off a disc onto CD-R's using Roxio and the discs have played without a hitch in our XC with the Dolby Premium Sound System. Since I'm not into the whole MP3 player & Kazaa deal, I have no clue as to what format the tracks are copied onto the CD-R.

Hopefully someone out there can tell you for sure. Just don't tell the recording industry I copied some songs ;)

George
    luv6717: "The side view mirrors are big enough to see from, but when you turn your head to check the blind side, the car is made so much more roomier that the driver side pillar is the first thing you see."

A few things help me deal with the blind spot and the car's size. I tip my head to the side slightly to give a different angle of view with the mirror and widen my field of vision. I frequently scan the side and rear mirrors to monitor what's going on around me. If necessary, such as at an angled onramp, I tip my head forward to see around the pillar. And for towing I have learned to back up using the mirrors, which makes me more comfortable using the mirrors in everyday situations.

This is a big car and the location of the corners is not obvious to the driver. Even if you never tow it can't hurt to practice backing with the mirrors in a vacant lot. It will save you many anxious moments and maybe a few repair bills.
  • ernest0ternest0t Member Posts: 29
    Sorry, but MP3s will not play on the audio system. You can burn CD-Rs using standard CD format and get 15-20 songs on a CD. It sure would be great to be able to do MP3 or WMA format. I could put nearly my entire audio collection on 6 CDs in that format.
    Ok...
    I have the top of the line stereo that came with my 2000 c70. We also ordered the top of the line with the XC90 which I assume is the same that I have in the C70. MP3's burned onto my CD-Rs DO play in my C70. I will be interested to see if the XC90 has a different system that won't allow it.

My mp3's are usually around 3-4k and they are at 128 bits and I can fit around 20 on an 80 minute cd. If you are compressing your mp3's, then I would think that the stereo would not be able to read those.

Further information.
    Ripped cds on my computer using Music Match Jukebox (free) into mp3 format.
    Downloaded mp3s from kazaa.
    Burned them onto a cd 'as-is' using HP burning software.
    There was an option for me to burn these files onto a cd as either a data cd or an audio cd. So maybe there was something in the software that translated the format.
    If not....mp3's definitely play on my C70 changer.

You'll have to wait until November for information on my cds and my XC90
  • ernest0ternest0t Member Posts: 29
    You may be starting out with MP3 files, but your software program is converting them to another format before you burn them to your CD. If you were putting true MP3 files on the CD you could easily get 120-150 songs on a single CD at 128 bits on an 80 minute CD. In WMA format you could probably get twice that many without too much loss of quality. MP3 is already a compressed format. Your software is converting the MP3 files to standard CD audio format before burning them.
    I'll second what ernest0t said. I'll add that most burners give you a choice of either Audio format (typically AIFF) and MP3 format. The Audio format plays fine in the car although you can fit only about 74 minutes on a 650 MB disc. Burning a disc in this format takes awhile because the files are converted.

The MP3 format creates a data disc that your computer and special MP3 players can read but not the car system--too bad because you can store over 12 hours of music on a 650 MB disc. Burning a disc in this format is fast because you are just copying the original MP3 files.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm sure you mean, for the benefit of the RIAA, that you are grabbing copies of music you already own instead of ripping your own CDs and risking scratching them.

Steve, Host
    Thanks, BIGEDDY, for the advice. I'm going to try practicing this more, especially backing out of tight spaces, this weekend! Hopefully, I WILL save myself the anxiety & unneeded repair bills!
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I put a JVC-SX990 in my Truck. It plays all formats (MP3's, WAV, CD-RW, CD-R, etc). Really great instead of a changer. I can rip about 10 of my disks onto 1 single MP3 disk. Great option for those without a changer option in a car.
  • mopsmommopsmom Member Posts: 4
    We have been looking to order a T6 as we have a boat to tow but I'm seeing a lot of problems with the T6 and am wondering if the 2.5 will suffice. I've been trying to research this for some time and would like to hear from someone who's actually tried towing w/ 2.5T.(the specs say it's possible but...)
    Also, we're VERY interested in doing the overseas delivery- comments from personal experience?

thank you<><, mom of five
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I have heard on other boards about people shifting into "3" rather than "D" to keep shifting down? I don't know if that will help with the 4 speed volvo but others who tow make that suggestion.
    Did I say 'ripping cds'?
    My fault..
    I meant to say that I had some "Ripping CD's".
    I would never do anything illicit.
    lol, I though that's what you meant.

Steve, Host
    The smaller engine tows fine, at least with the under 2000-pound trailers I pull. I've heard at least one owner say a larger boat was no problem.

Volvo just put 40 XC90's into the OSD program for pickup later this year at a discount. Sounds attractive if you can relate to Sweden in winter. ;) There are many personal accounts of the program, nearly all positive, and tips on the internet.
    To luv6717 and others, if after practice the sideview mirror still doesn't work for you, there is a European version (Volvo Part No. 8650148) that has a wider field-of-view and even a vertical line that indicates if a car in view is in the danger zone. These appear to be a special order and cost roughly $50 plus any installation. Many XC90 owners have purchased them from a Volvo dealer over the internet and had their local dealer install them. Installation is evidently simple enough that a few owners have tackled it. I'd reference the site but Edmunds chooses to pretend that other forums don't exist. :-S
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Cheap shot! :-)

Seriously, our Terms of Use are fairly mild compared with many other auto forums.

tidester, host
  • mopsmommopsmom Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Eddy. Our boat is rather large (3500 lbs) and it would definitely be a loaded car. I know the T6 is sufficient but 95% of the time it will be used by me for errands and driving kids around so it kills me to think of all the wasted gas. I probably wouldn't give it a thought except the T6 seems to have so many complaints that I'd like to slide by with the 2.5T. Also, we live in the northeast with lots of hills.
    Anyway, if anybody else has towed with the 2.5 or t6 please weigh in!:)
    One other thing, Finally I got my husband to agree to the overseas delivery and call Volvo this morning only to find that they sold their last spot this morning!!! There's more coming in January but we wanted to purchase by the end of the year for the Sect 179 deduction. Oh well, guess we'll have to look at the OSD with our next Volvo which hopefully won't be for a very long time!
    mopsmom: "Finally I got my husband to agree to the overseas delivery and call Volvo this morning only to find that they sold their last spot this morning!!!"

The remaining allotment evidently sold out in 3 days. Sorry it didn't work out for you. Hope you have been to Sweden or get another chance.
  • matwagsmatwags Member Posts: 21
    I also called about OSD on 9/8/03 to find out that they were sold out of XC 90's. They had an additional getaway to either London or Barcelona from Sweden for 2 people, including air and hotel for 3 nights, for $500. That would have been great. I don't think that I can wait until January to pick up an SUV with winter coming.

Has anyone heard that the factory shuts down for the month of July, and the paucity of XC 90's on lots is due to this?

Does anyone have any experience with the non-leather interior? Does it look like it will hold up or does it look cheap? I am trying to keep costs down. All I really need is the T5 AWD w/ upgraded stereo, xenons, and heated seats.

Thanks
    I don't know about Volvo's factory, but much of Europe shuts down all of August for holiday. They're civilized that way :-)

Car factories also close to retool for the new model year or to flush out the remaining inventory in the pipeline.

Steve, Host
  • randyvarandyva Member Posts: 3
    I have a T6 with the Volvo factory hitch. Towed a 3800-lb Coleman tent trailer from Virginia to Idaho and back, with stops in New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, South Dakota, Wyoming...hit most of the Rocky Mtns, on freeways and two-lane mountain roads through 12,000 ft passes. Total trip was 7,400 miles. There was never any time when we noticed the trailer holding us back. We drove 80+ mph across the Dakotas and Montana, passing cars while going uphill. Mileage was a respectable 14 mpg for the entire trip. Steering firm and responsive. It was a terrific tow platform. We selected the XC90 over several competitors in part because of the 5,000 lb tow capacity, and that part has worked out well for us. (Not wild about other aspects of the XC90...but that's another post) Based on my experience, I highly recommend it for pulling large loads.
  • 1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    ..........and you could get at least 16-17 mpg by driving a reasonably sane 60-65 mph while towing.....
  • alan927alan927 Member Posts: 31
    We just purchased a new 2004 XC90 T6 and I do not see anything in the owners manual about the new vehicle break-in . . .

Can someone tell me if they have the official break-in guidelines from Volvo ?

What page is it in the Owners manual ?

I've had many new cars so I know the basic guidelines I usually use but was wondering what are Volvo's ?
  • glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    Congratulations!!

Apparently its is no longer required for the XC90 (the statement was removed according to reliable sources on other forums). Having said that, the concensus is still to vary the RPMs during the first 1000 miles (thus avoid using the cruise control) and not to exceed 4000 RPMs.

George
    It seems that break-in isn't required for many new cars these days, although it may be as hard a habit to break as the 3,000 mile oil change.

I suspect it's helpful to go easy on the brakes for a little while until the pads get matched up nicely with the rotors (i.e., no panic stops if you can help it).

Steve, Host
  • heleandrewheleandrew Member Posts: 10
    Just don't use the gas and brake pedals for the first 3,000 miles.
    glxwagon4mo: "Apparently its is no longer required for the XC90 (the statement was removed according to reliable sources on other forums). Having said that, the concensus is still to vary the RPMs during the first 1000 miles (thus avoid using the cruise control) and not to exceed 4000 RPMs."

OMG, he said "other forums"!!! All respected authorities I've heard say that new cars should be driven conservatively for the first 1000 miles, and some extend that up to 5000 miles or more. By break-in they mean keeping the RPMs moderate, accelerating and braking conservatively, not towing, and avoiding cruise control. It's not just the engine but also the brakes, tires and other moving parts.

Good driving habits when the car is new--and other times for that matter--are to allow the car to coast to a stop when possible, as when approaching a signal (helps the pistons and rings to seat properly, and improves gas mileage), and to let the engine idle for a few seconds before taking off and after stopping (gives the turbo a chance to warm up or down).
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    If randyva was driving a "sane" 60-65 accross Montana HE'D STILL BE DRIVING!!
    Seriously, Volvo's and other European cars are made to function at much higher sppeds than they achieve here in the US. Plus they do it in complete safety.
    Speed doesn't kill stupidity and inattention does.

Break in
    The only thing Volvo asks is that you keep the engine out of redline for the first 1000 miles or so. Otherwise, have fun!
    Brand new tires are reportedly slippery for the first 100 miles.

Steve, Host
    Max,
    I agree with your statement completely, I just have this stereotypical image of the tent trailers. They sometimes aren't the most stable things to lug around. Similar to a short uhaul trailer.......I can picture it weaving back and forth down the highway at 80 mph! My thought wasn't of the Volvo, but of the trailer......
  • alan927alan927 Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the advice and filling me in why there is no section in the manual for the break-in. I figured I'd hang out until 1000 miles to really start pushing it . . .

This is the first car I've purchased that didn't have a section for the break-in and I'd say we average a new car every 1 1/2 yrs so that is quite a feat for Volvo.
  • volvotexvolvotex Member Posts: 8
    Well, I finally got to take a road trip out to west Texas and I'm as thrilled as ever with my 2.5T XC90. 750 miles each way (it's a big state)and overall averaged 20 mpg. I thought I would get more, but we were driving through lots of hills, had 2 adults, a baby and all the stuff that requires, plus a couple of bikes on the back and most of the highway driving averaged about 75 mph. I noticed no problems maintaining speed on the long uphills. One thing that was handy was the Geartronic transmission for controlling decents on steep hills in the mountains. Probably would be very helpful for you trailer pullers to consider using that more when pulling trailers up or down hills. (Best thing was that I didn't see another XC90 for the first 1450 miles of the trip...I love that).

Also, thought I'd mention that I bought the Hidden Hitch built for the XC90 off the internet (think I heard about it on another forum) and installed it myself in about an hour. I think it was $122 plus shipping. I didn't install the wiring harness (I'm just using it for bike racks), but it looks pretty good and requires no cutting of the bumper as I've heard other hitches do.
    Volvotex,
    You got any info on that hitch, like website you got it from, etc.? Is that the product name `Hidden Hitch', or does it goe by a brand name?
    I would be very interested in one of these.

Thanks
    I found a link, hitchesonline.com. It had the Hidden Hitch for $122± for the XC90 - Class III/IV.
    Thanks for the headsup on that, Volvotex, I think I know what I'll be doing next weekend!
  • shadowchasershadowchaser Member Posts: 94
    Does anyone know what REG means on the radio display. I can't find it in the manual or anywhere else.
    Volvo is known for sedate cars and "dressing it up" would tend to make it look silly BUT

my volvo was sitting next to an MDX. The MDX has chrome on the end of its tailpipe. It made it look like something had fallen off mine. The pipe just makes it to the end of the bumper and isnt chrome. I don't think the chrome is tacky (like shiny chrome wheels) and am wondering if there are aftermarket screw on chrome tailpipes that are safe to install and use. Anyone have any advice?
    I'm in the process of doing the same with mine. Ours is black and I felt the chrome would help set it off a bit. You can get the chrome tip at most any auto parts store (Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.) They bolt on (sort of a set screw configuration). You just need to measure the diameter of your exhaust and get the one that fits that. They come in different diameters, lengths, angle cut, oval, etc. You can also get gold color as well.
    JC Whitney has a decent selection on line (jcwhitneyc.com)
    can putting these on be dangerous (blocking the exhaust?
  • max63max63 Member Posts: 76
    I have a black XC 90 and I agree that chrome tailpipes would set it off nicely. The ones I saw at the dealership were something like $250 and I'm not sure if they were made for the XC90. I think that would be a good upgrade for the T6 model in the future.
    There wouldn't be a problem with blocking the exhaust. The only other thing to check is the clearance from the bumber molding. Depending on the outside diameter of the extension, you may want to make sure it doesn't make contact or be extremely close to the molding as to cause it to melt.
    The tips that I saw in JC Whitney were $24± and up. I'm not familiar with the ones at the dealership, but they may be more substantial and fixed other than bolting on.
  • volvotexvolvotex Member Posts: 8
    1sttimevolvo1 -

hitchesonline.com is exactly where I got my hidden hitch. I paid a little extra and got it shipped 2 day UPS so I'd get it in time for my trip. I really wanted a hitch since I picked my XC90 up in July but the dealer was going to charge $500-600 to do the VOLVO hitch and that was without wiring (which I don't really need..yet). I know XC90s aren't cheap, but I couldn't see spending that much. I was thrilled to find the hidden hitch. Apparently, if you want to wire it, then you have a little more work on your hands. Good luck.
    I just received my new floor mats ordered from weathertech.com. They're a beige color to match my interior. (I finally got rid of those paper mats originally provided with my XC90 - I'm a neat freak, I know) Anyhow, the front mats fit perfectly, but the back seat (2nd row) mats I'll have to trim to fit. And FYI, weathertech will have new cargo mats out in October especially designed for the XC90 for those of you that want to preserve every inch of this precious vehicle!
    Thanks for the response, volvotex. I plan to purchase the Hidden Hitch this week. I found a wiring harness set (can't recall the website, though - will post when I find it again) that connects directly to the battery and has a switching module attached. From what I remember, it seemed to be a simpler and more straight-forward installation than some of the others I had seen. I'll double-check it to make sure.
    The wiring harness kit is made by Modu-Lite. The power feeds directly from the battery and the signal wires are spliced directly to the left / right signals instead of drawing all the current through the signal wiring. The manufacturer says this unit eliminates the need for a heavy duty flasher. I may check with Volvo and see what wiring options I would have if they put in the wiring harness. It will cost me more, but I'd like to see if there is any splicing that has to be done. If so, then I'll just use the Modu-Lite kit.