Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    So, do you think that a new transmission for the XC90 is not forthcoming soon?

A couple of European car magazines hinted that Volvo engineers know that the 4-speed on the T6 is not the best tranny for that engine and that a new transmission with an extra cog or two is in the works. It is obvious that the 4-speed is not the first choice of tranny for the XC90. If the 5-speed tranny did fit in the XC90, Volvo would have used that, right? So, it seems logical that a new tranny is coming but you may know otherwise.
  • rob222rob222 Member Posts: 49
    Just a reminder that the XC90 will be reviewed at noon on the PBS show Saturday and repeated next Thursday.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    1 Initial Quality
    Should be quite good. There are really no new parts in the XC90. Everything is off the shelf. Even the 4wd system was used in the 2002 S60 AWD.
    Volvo has independent Engineers checking over their work to make sure the quality is there.
    Yes the S80 had some teething problems, but now Volvo leads all euro brands in initial quality according to JD Power. The S80 leads all Volvos in initial quality.
    2 Yes the telematic system should be the On Call Plus that was unveiled in 01 for the S60. The tranny agreement predated Fords involvement with Volvo so no trouble there.
    3 New Tranny
    The Volvo 5spd tranny is used w/ the 5 cyl engine, but just won't fit w/ the T6 motor.
    The new tranny will not debut for at least a year or so as it will be mated to the Yamaha V8 that is in the works. Also, a more compact version of the inline 6 is in the works for the S80 replacement in 2005.
    I find the setup in the S80 to be quite adequate, yes I'd like an extra gear or two but overall I think the system works quite well.
    So, there won't be a new tranny for the T6, then? We will have to wait for the new inline 6 to get a new tranny?

I do agree that the 4-speed works well in the T6 but wouldn't you agree that the 5-speed would work better, fuel efficiency-wise? I hope Volvo mates a different tranny to the T6, well before the new inline 6.

A Yamaha V8, huh? Interesting.
    I agree that a 5sp tranny would work better, although how much better is open for debate.
    After all you can change gear ratios to favor fuel economy or performance.
    Unfortunately, there simply are no trannys available that will fit either the S80 or the XC90 with the inline 6 engine. Volvo is also not about to rush one into production without going thru a thorough and comprehensive test cycle.
    One of the arguments for the V8 is that it is shorter than the I6 and can therefore accomodate the existing Aisin-Warner transmissions
  • nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    I'm not familiar with the "X-Program", however, in Korea, the XC90 can be purchased through the military/diplomat program. I just spoke with their representative and the price break is incredible! For all those interested in the prices, here is the breakdown in USD:

2.5T AWD: 31,200
    T6 AWD: 34,990
    If you do not take delivery in Korea, price increases to 35,100 for 2.5T and 39,975 for the T6
    Shipping to Korea: 480

Climate Pkg: 595
    Premium Pkg (2.5T): 2575
    Premium Pkg (T6): 1,300
    Security Pkg: 675
    Versatility Pkg (Req's Prem. Pkg on 2.5T): 1,675
    Metallic Paint: 450
    Leather: 1,400

Even with the nice price break, Volvo will further discount the final price by approx. 900-1000 USD (I don't know why..). The way I configured my new T6, I'm looking at ~37,000 USD. I'm already drooling...;-)

-nobee
    Thanks for your reply.
    Any sort of timeline for the V8 and the new inline 6? Is the V8 going into a rumored XC90'R'?
    There isn't any firm date for the new engines.
    The XC90 V8 is being tested here in AZ as we speak.
    Volvo has no plans for an "R" version of the XC90.
    Rather the plan an "Executive" version much like the S80 Executive. It will be the ultimate luxury Volvo. Don't bet on it till sometime in the 2004 model year.
    As for the new I6, that will be 2005 at the earliest.
  • mdx2003mdx2003 Member Posts: 13
    It's not available at most dealership. I'm going to pick one up today.
    Sorry, I meant, it's now available..

Anyhow, just got it today and it got lots of nice pic's and info, spec, etc.
  • shap1shap1 Member Posts: 77
    Local dealer had a special event. Saw both models up close. This is a terrific SUV. There is an unbelievable amount of cargo room in the rear, especially without the third row seats installed. A very cool innovation with the third row... the way the seats fold flat is by the cushions sliding up under the rear kind of like a window shade.

The T6 has a much nicer interior (wood, brushed aluminum, etc.). The 2.5 is kinda plasticy(my husband's description) and typically Volvo. Seat comfort is amazing as always with Volvo. Pop up nav. screen is cool, too.

My only disappointment was that the 2.5 doesn't come with rear air even when ordered with the "versatility package" (third row seats). And speaking of the third row seats, there's a decent amount of space behind 'em.

Dealer gets first allocation in two weeks. Pricing quoted was $37,000 for the 2.5 and $42,000 for the T6 including the third row package. No X Plan pricing for the forseeable future. :(

Color choices are pretty standard, but they had a cool silver green that looked much better than it sounds. For those of you who have the brochure, it looks nothing like the color strip that's in there. It's much more silver. It's my new fave!
    Actually, the rear air is available for the 2.5T, however, the Premium Pkg is required to be purchased as well.

-nobee
  • jay_xc90jay_xc90 Member Posts: 9
    I posted this elsewhere, but saw post 261 and wanted to add my 2 cents. Our dealer had a 2.5 (crytsal green) and a T6 (metallic sapphire). Pre-production, so not driveable. Observations:

Both cars were European specs. A significant portion of the center dash space is devoted to the telephone control and mini-disc player will go unused in the U.S. This extra space may not be attractive in the U.S. model.

I expected the seats to be as comfy as my S80 T6. Wrong. Kind of in between the S80 T6 and the S80 2.9 or XC70 seats. Leather not as nice and not as soft. Door panels distinctly cheap looking. Hopefully, production trim will be improved.

Tires are Continentals. Not my favorites, but I'll reserve judgment until I get to feel the ride.

Seven seater - very tight in back. Middle child seat with "come-to-mommy" feature will not be useful for anyone else. Way too uncomfortable. Five seater - more room between the first and second row seating and generally more comfortable. Sliding sun shade for rear compartment will be very useful.

Like sun? Too bad. Sunroof is too far behind the driver.

Stereo display was nice. Hope it won't be washed out by the sun like my S80. Sound was ok, but without a window sticker, I really couldn't tell which stereo was in the car. It did have a PLII logo on the screen. At any rate, with the number of people around, I wasn't able to crank the sound. The NAV display substantially shrinks the center dash pod for a speaker, so I wonder if you get a smaller center channel when you order the NAV. The NAV DVD unit itself is right under the driver's seat.

Rear audio controls kind of silly. Were both on C (or D?) pillar behind driver. There was nothing on the other side of the car. Passenger will have to get long headphone cord and drape over the driver-side passenger and then reach over to adjust.

Styling is exactly what the pictures show. Very nice. The bi-xenons are very cool. With the size of the headlights (and the fact that a stone chip cost $450 to replace the headlamp unit on my T6), I shudder to think what a replacement will cost. This car will NOT be cheap to insure. I'd love to know if anyone has preliminary insurance pricing.

Wood - nice, but not enough of it. Should have scrapped the aluminum door pulls in favor of more wood. Wood steering wheel on the T6 is very nice tho.

Vanity mirrors - one on each side, but very small and not well lit.

If your significant other is small or likes long dresses, plan on the running board option.

I would opt for the body colored cladding. IMHO, I don't like the Volvo black plastic trim. I think it really makes the exterior look a little cheap.

Dash - Just sit in an S80. You'll be right at home.

Wheels - The standard wheels look fine. Neither car on the floor had the Atlantis.

Single exhaust with faux dual exhaust tips. A short-term small spare rides up under the back bumper.

Despite all the perceived criticism, I'll still be getting mine in January.
    A good, detailed, review of the XC90, including specific driving impressions of the engines and transmissions can be found at here. They chose the 2.5T over the T6 due to the 5-cylinder's smoothness and impressive 5-speed transmission.

The difference in price between a 2.5T and a T6, similarly equipped (T6 w/o options and 2.5T with Premium Package plus 17" rims), is about $1,800.00. Not a lot of difference, really.

Motorweek also has a review here.

Here is the transcript of the EVO magazine where it says

That transverse engine may mean plenty of cabin real estate but it also steals so much space between the front wheels that there was only enough room to fit the T6 with a gappy four-speed auto 'box, which struggles against the size and weight of this car. The engine constantly kicks down out of fourth to compensate, even on the motorway, to the detriment of fuel consumption, which averaged a sobering 14-15mpg during our test. Couple that with a mean 72-litre tank and the range becomes a pathetic 200 miles. For the record, the diesel manages a rather better 28mpg and 400 miles. Engineers admit the T6 'box is a problem and a six-speeder is under development for launch late next year.

EVO Driven Article on XC90

However, volvomax has stated that a new tranny is not in the works for next year launch but will have to wait until the new inline 6 comes out in MY 2005 for the S80.
    The 2.5T 5-cylinder certainly makes a good case for itself. I think it will do well for all-around city/suburban/highway driving while giving good fuel mileage. It certainly makes the decision tougher to choose between the 5-cylinder with the sweet 5-speed tranny or the powerful 6-cylinder with the 4-speed tranny.

Excerpt:
    Volvo's trusty five-cylinder engine has been stroked from 2.4 to 2.5 liters, increasing the horsepower from 197 to 208. A smaller turbocharger helps raise torque from 194 foot-pounds to 236 foot-pounds at 4500 rpm, with most of that oomph available at 1500 rpm, claims Volvo, in order to achieve a 5000-pound towing capacity. We found those 208 horsepower to be plenty for the real world, and its 24 mpg combined gas mileage is excellent for that much power.

But engines only produce power, while transmissions...well, they transmit it. And the transmission in the 2.5T is very sweet. It's a Geartronic five-speed automatic, with a manual mode. We used it to test the engine's torque, and we doubt Volvo's claim that the torque is all there at 1500 rpm, but it may not matter because acceleration is, at least when you floor it.

That's what we did, at 1500 rpm in fifth gear and in manual mode, and it stayed in fifth gear and accelerated ever so slowly. Then we tried automatic mode, and when we floored it at 1500 rpm the transmission downshifted all the way to third, the tach jumped, and XC90 eagerly zoomed away. Obviously, the electronic transmission sensor didn't believe there was enough torque at 1500 rpm. Moral to the story: avoid manual mode for full acceleration, and trust the tranny to shift itself. And if you just want pulling power without full throttle, you can use the manual mode to downshift, if you need to.

One computer chip that you can't trust, though, is the rev limiter. It intervenes too subtly and too late, evidently by slowly stealing power. The charts say the power peaks at 5000 rpm, but the engine keeps pulling slowly to 5700, and then it struggles and strains, all the way up to 6500 before the rev limiter puts a complete halt to things. To get the most out of the engine, using it without abusing it, you simply have to upshift around 5200 or 5400, while ignoring the redline at 6100.

The T6 also uses a new Geartronic transmission, but it's only a four-speed because there wasn't room in the engine compartment to fit the five-speed. The heavier four-speed transmission shifts more slowly and less smoothly than the 2.5T's five-speed.

The six-cylinder engine is neither as smooth nor as quiet as the five-cylinder engine. There was a distinct engine vibration between 45 and 50 mph in third gear, at about 2000 rpm. And although 268 horsepower and twin turbos sounds hot, we weren't impressed; the engine sometimes felt like it was working hard, with that four-speed. However, we were impressed with how silky smooth the XC90 felt at 80 mph, overall, and its 21 mpg combined gas mileage is good.
    With the price difference being so close, I just can't decide. Currently, the determining factor is the 4-speed transmission and all the negative reviews it's receiving. Would most folks agree with me that the tranny is the biggest determing factor for them?

-nobee
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    With the price difference being so close, I just can't decide.

All else being equal, why don't you just toss a coin?

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    The price diff. is only about $2000, but the 2.5T will continue to pay you back in greater fuel economy. What it's going to come down to is the individual buyer road tests, and what the prospective purchaser considers important. My money is on the smaller engine, however if Volvo upgrades the 2.9 tranny to a 5 or 6 speed, it's a whole new ball game.
    Cheers
    Pat
    For Clarification,
    A new tranny is in the works for the V8 XC90 which will be launched for 2004.
    It is doubtful that the tranny will fit the current inline 6.
    Also, the vast majority of 2.5t will be 5 pass only. if you want a 7 pass and you want one before March a T6 is your best bet.
    If your going to load down the XC90 best bet is the T6.
    Also, the test cars are pre-production vehicles, so the shift logic may yet be reprogrammed.
    As I have said before, test drive the S80 2.9 and see what you think. That car will give you the best approximation until the XC90 arrives.
    Note I didn't say S80T6, the extra wight of the XC90 will make it perform like an S80 2.9
  • dougf2dougf2 Member Posts: 21
    Are you saying the 5 seater has more legroom in the middle seat than the 7 seater? I had read one review that said the 2nd seat legroom was "limosine-like" - maybe that was only for the 5 seater?
    A new tranny is in the works for the V8 XC90 which will be launched for 2004

This is a moot point for me since a V8 would probably consume more fuel than the inline 6, unless it does otherwise.

Also, the vast majority of 2.5T will be 5 pass only

This would work for me, but I agree that if I wanted a 7-seater, the T6 would be the choice.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Went to the XC90 showcase at Momentum Volvo here in houston. They had a 5 passenger 2.5t and a 7 pass T6. The truck is awesom in person. It is almost as big as an MDX and dwarfs the x5. The volvo reps recommended no one over 5'4 sit in the third row for extended periods of time. The car was very nice but I think it is priced a tad bit high. It really makes no sense to get a loaded 2.5t because a t6 is only like 1500 more. Anybody have any ideas on what these will lease for?
    ...for relevant figures related to leasing an XC90. With the added safety features, I think the added premium is justified.
  • mall610mall610 Member Posts: 24
    My daughter has a 2003 t6 XC90 on order. The posts here indicate that a new V8 and or a new transmission will be out in 2004.

This would likely cause a 2003 t6 with the old transmission to be a dog on the resale market.

What are the opinions on this? I am inclined to advise her to cancel the order if a "model engine/transmission" change is due next year.

What do you all think?
    The V8 is slated for sometime in 2004. Could be late in the model year as a 2004 1/2.
    Also, it is supposed to be part of an Executive model so figure pricing @$50,000.
    IMHO the engines of the XC will not affect their resale value. Currently the Colco wagons resell quite well and there is a bewildering array of engines for those cars.
  • dougf2dougf2 Member Posts: 21
    I got my brochure from the dealer today which answered some questions for me:

- The seven passenger version does indeed have less middle seat legroom than the five passenger version (almost 2")

- Running boards and outside tack-on mouldings and wheel flares will not be available until 2003

- DVD Entertainment will be a dealer-installed accessory only, and not until 2003
    FYI... This is for norther california, you may need to check http://www.pbs.org for your local listing and schedule.
    In case anyone haven't seen this, check out this site. When you're select the 3D link (bottom left)

http://vcc.volvocars.se/index.asp?mainurl=/pp/xc90/

• rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    Any further elaboration on this regarding TDM sales:

"Volvo will further discount the final price by approx. 900-1000 USD"

I wonder if its a factory or dealer thing that one has to know about in order to get it.
    I was told by the military/diplomatic sales person that depending on what options or packages you may include onto your new Volvo, the sales person has been given the authority to further discount the final price by not charging for such options such as xenon lights, metallic paint, delivery charge, etc.etc. This seems to be standard protocol whether you take delivery in Korea or Europe via the military/diplomatic sales program.

I'm currently cross-shopping the XC-90 against the X-5; however, even with the price break I receive with the X-5, the XC-90 seems like the logical choice, or rather, I receive the biggest bang for my buck. Would love to hear what previous Volvo owners have to say on how Volvo's hold their value down the road. Could I expect the same value with a Volvo compared to a BMW product in 5 years?

Thanks in advance,

-nobee
    The prices you quote for the XC90 are only available if you place the order overseas.
    The US TDS and military prices are much higher, ie they are the same as MSRP.
    Doug, keep in mind that the 2nd row is fixed on the 5 pass version and that it is adjustable on the 7 pass version.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    Thanks for clearing that up, but in my previous post I already mentioned that you must purchase it overseas for that kind of a discount.

So any word on when the 04's will go into production? ;-)

-nobee
  • ukdriverukdriver Member Posts: 1
    I saw the XC90 yesterday at Don Beyer Volvo in McLean, VA. It is quite exceptional. I spoke to a Volvo rep about the V8 version, he told me that there is no V8 slated for the XC90 for the next 3.5 year production schedule. When I asked him why a 4speed tranny was in the T6 instead of a 5speed. He said Volvo did this for two reasons: 1) The torque characteristics of the T6 engine did not require it to have a 5speed. 2) It was cheaper to use the 4speed instead of the 5 speed. I think his answers are BS.
    For those of you who have "ordered" an XC90, did you actually order a specific color/option combo or did the dealer put you on their waiting list. Don Beyer is getting 50 XC90's for their nov/dec allocation. If you put a deposit down they will place you on their waiting list (28 on list already). They are not taking orders until early next year due to availability problems. The XC90 is really nice, the interior is well executed, good materials and fit and finish. They had metallic black and light green models on display. The green looked really watered down, very wishy washy.
    1 Our "Demo" car should arrive end of Oct beginning of Nov. Look for every dealer to have 1 car at that time
    2 V8 is alive and kicking, the guy at Don Beyer was talking out his a**.
    3 Actual saleable cars will prob mot arrive till the end of Nov. Most of them in Dec-Jan.
    4 Actual Orders are not possible now. If you have a deposit w/ a dealer you will take what they have available. You could specify color maybe, but the equip. level is fixed.
    For a T6 this means Premium and Versatility pkgs.
    Some will have Climate. No Xenon or Security.
    2.5T Premium pkg. No Versatility.
    After the first of the year you will be able to place an order and specify options and colors.
  • zaadzaad Member Posts: 9
    I read somewhere while back that the T6 tranny is a GM transmision, the reason given was something about they could't fit the 5 speed in there due to engine configuration, and the 4 speed was the quickest choice.
    I hope I am wrong about this because the T5 HP/tourque is just not enough for a 7 passenger SUV.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    The 4 speed on the 6 cyl is a GM unit (same as used on the S80). They used it because of the packaging nightmare caused by a transverse inline 6. This might be the only tranny that will fit.

The tranny actually sits behind the engine, and is run by a chain. The 5 cyl models have a normal layout, and can use the 5 speed AT.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

The 5 cyl models have a normal layout, and can use the 5 speed AT.

Uhhmmmm...what's a normal engine layout? Based on the XC90 brochure, both the 2.5T and the T6 uses a transverse layout. It actually compares 3 engine layouts to highlight the advantage of using a transverse inline for maximum space utilization:

1. Traditional inline - like the engine layout of a BMW 3-series
    2. V layout - like most V6-engine equipped cars
    3. transverse inline - like a 4-cylinder Honda Civic

I think the 4-speed was used primarily because of the size of the T6 in a transverse inline application.

That being said, many S80 owners like the 4-speed on the T6. However, recent reviews of the XC90 indicate that the T6 could use a tranny with an extra cog or two.
    1 The T6 trans is a GM unit, same as the Cadillac
    Northstar trans.
    Nothing else will fit given the size of the inline 6 and its transverse packaging.
    2 The 5cyl are also transverse, they can use the AW trannys because of their smaller size.
    The torque in the 2.5T should be sufficent.
    If you look at the spec you see that maximun torque is available from 1500 RPM up.
    All the other SUV's are 3000RPM and up.Plus the band is very wide, 1500 to 4500 RPM.
    Contrast the MDX which is 3000-5000 RPM.
    In real life this means that the engine will not have to work as hard for passing or towing as the MDX will.
  • sstclairssstclairs Member Posts: 4
    "If you look at the spec you see that maximun torque is available from 1500 RPM up. All the other SUV's are 3000RPM and up.Plus the band is very wide, 1500 to 4500 RPM. Contrast the MDX which is 3000-5000 RPM. In real life this means that the engine will not have to work as hard for passing or towing as the MDX will."

but...doesn't the wider torque band also mean that gas mileage may suffer? Still haven't seen gas mileage numbers for the XC90, and it seems rather suspicious (as in, suspicious the numbers will be worse than desired) that gas mileage numbers are about the only numbers listed as "N/A" on the Volvo XC90 website specs and are notably absent from the brochure.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    by normal layout, I meant the relationship between the engine and transmission was the way it uaually was for a transverse engine set up.

THere is a reason that only Volvo has a transverse l6 engine. No one else could figure out how to jam it in, or bothered to try.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Unfortunately, you can't have you cake and eat it too.
    A 4600lb vehicle is not going to get good gas mileage. Period.
    No SUV does and Volvo won't be any different I'm afraid.
    However, with a broad torque band the engine will turn fewer revs to give you power. This means burning less gas. The turbo 5 should be as good or better than any of the V6 competitors for fuel efficiency as well as being able to tow and haul more than they can
  • kaitsukaitsu Member Posts: 41
    A Swedish magazine (Aftonbladet) gave the following mileage on XC90: 2.5T around 20.4 mpg (11.5 liters/100 km), no data on T6. The D6 diesel had a mileage of 27.7 mpg (8.5 liters/100 km. Anybody know if they will bring the diesel to USA?
    Reading through the XC-90 coloring book, it states that it'll only be available in Europe.

-nobee
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Yesterday I drove down to Chicago and test drove the XC90 at the Chicago Motor Speedway. The event began with a presentation/unveiling ceremony and then another brief demonstration of the AWD system and the strength/rigidity of the body (Boron steel "roll cage" = 4 to 5 times stronger system). They also did a demonstration on the optional laminated glass option. They let us drive it over two different courses and then we were driven over a third. The first course was a "performance" course where we drove the T6. We got to accelerate, test the ABS, perform some accident avoidance maneuvers and just get a feel for the dynamics of the vehicle. The second was set up to demonstrate how the vehicle performs on both wet and dry pavement. We got to drive the T5 on this course as we went from wet pavement maneuvers to dry pavement maneuvers. The third course was set up to demonstrate the vehicle stability control system. We did an emergency maneuver (aka moose test) at about 50-55mph and then another under full throttle from a standing start. Volvo also had all of its main competitors set up to climb around in for comparison purposes. My overall impressions are that the fit and finish are very good. Interior materials are good, but not the best. Seats are very good, however I really didn't have much time to get a feel for overall ergonomics and feature layout. Steering is light and accurate and the ABS felt very good with very little fade and pulsing in the foot pedal. The stability control system is jaw dropping. I've never experienced anything that helped the mistakes of a driver so well. The split rear hatch is also an absolute stroke of genius. It can be used as a bench, step for roof loading, left open for long loads and makes for a lighter lift gate that needs less room to open. On the downside, the rear seat is ONLY for small adults and children. I couldn't even get the second row seat to latch while I sat in the last row (I'm 6'-2", but only have a 34" inseam). The ABS was good, but the stopping distances from 60-0 IMO were only ok (180'+). That was surprising considering that the XC90 uses vented 12" discs up front and vented 12.1" discs in the rear. The achilles heal is the lack of low end grunt. The vehicle accelerates adequately (we never got a chance to see how it did from 40-60), but it isn't going to bring a smile to the face or an imprint in the seat. I do know that it isn't supposed to be a performance vehicle, but IMO more output is needed for a 4600lb vehicle. I have to wonder how well it will do with all seats filled with people, plus their gear, the a/c on and you need to accelerate into traffic or make a passing manuever on a two lane highway. Now compound the question if you go with the laminated glass option.

Overall, I came away impressed. It offers a nice ballance of everything that people need/want in a package that isn't too big. The frequency that the third row would be used ballances that fact that it is 2" too small. The exterior packaging is attractive and very Volvo. And the question regarding the 4 speed transmission in the T6 is unwarranted. Yes it may be older technology, however it performed well in the driving that we did. If anybody wants to hear more I'd be happy to try and answer your questions. BTW, if you live in the Chicago area they will be offering the same event next weekend. If you live in Chicago don't be surprised if you can test drive one of these at the dealership this week or if you see one on the road. The same event will be coming to two spots in California after that. Happy motoring.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • frizzellfrizzell Member Posts: 5
    Can you clarify the
    "I was told by the military/diplomatic sales person that depending on what options or packages you may include onto your new Volvo, the sales person has been given the authority to further discount the final price by not charging for such options such as xenon lights, metallic paint, delivery charge" statement please?
    The TDS guy here in Italy has no such info. Putting pen to paper tomorrow. Help.
    Even before I hinted at any price break, the salesperson further discounted the price of my future XC-90 by approx. 800.00 USD with the options that I wanted on my SUV. I've spoken with other buyers that have already placed their order and they all received approx. a 800-1000 USD discount. That just seems like the norm here. Even if you don't get the discount, you're already getting a fantastic vehicle at a great price. Hopefully, you're getting quoted the same numbers as I am. BTW, which dealer are you going through? Pentagon car sales? Capital motors?

-nobee
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    So this is where you have been hiding. How goes it in Seoul? No more E39, then? I am also looking at XC90 due to my wife's insistence, and realized how much we can save on this one. I had emailed you last week, not sure if it went through.