Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    ..must be in the eye of the beholder. I think the GX470 is better looking than the MDX. I even think the Pilot looks a little less mini-vanish than the MDX. But I'd rate the MDX and Lexus interiors slightly ahead of Volvo's (with the exception of the Volvo seats, which are second only to BMW's 5-series sport seats in my opinion).

Back to the XC90, I really am looking for more objective information on it's reliability. In a 2003 Consumer Reports article, the top four brands in terms of fewest problems were Acura, Toyota, Lexus and Honda in that order. Volvo ranked tied for 26 out of 30, behind such steller brands as Chevy (24), Jeep(23), Pontiac (22), Oldsmobile (21), Dodge (19), Plymouth (18), Hyundai (12) and Buick (11). And it's not an anti-Swede thing, Saab rated a very respectable 7th, ahead of BMW (13) and Nissan (8).

I don't put 100% confidence in Consumer Reports (or any other single source, for that matter), but it's pretty hard for me to overlook Volvo's ratings so far down the list. Our friends who have Volvo's like them in spite of problems, but are generally quick to admit they have had their fair share over the years. Perhaps I want my cake and to eat it too - a $40k+ vehicle that looks like a beauty, but doesn't behave like a beast when it comes to long term reliability.

So, what say you XC90 owners? How did you get past the Consumer Reports, JD POwers and other poor ratings of Volvo?
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    Oh well,
    Here we go again.

Let's get back to my previous statement:
    Reliability does not equate to the longevity, and vice versa.

I do not expect, just plainly do not, the same level of reliability from Volvo as from Toyota, Honda or Nissan. Different philosophy, different approach to the technological advances, different "trial and error" base, etc.,etc.

But I do expect that Volvo has good workmanship, uses durable materials and major parts with the long life expectancy. And so far, nobody could challenge that.

I have mentioned before that as far as I could see, there are much more old Volvos on the streets as old Lexus.
    I I've got a lot of bashing for that, but nevertheless, I've conducted a small non-scientific research last month. Everywhere I go, I was counting the old Lexus LS400 (1989 - 1992 model, the slimmest one)) and old Volvos (240 and 740 only to be sure about their age).

The ratio is more than 100 to 1 in favor of Volvo in West San Fernando Valley and metro LA areas. And this is consider that Lexus sold over 60K cars just during the first year (what is that - 3, 5 times more than Volvo? I do not have statistics in front of me, but I do not think I far from the mark).
    I am challenging my opponents to do the same and I promise to be very open-minded to their results.

So, longevity is number 1,
    Than goes - safety, style, versatility.
    Price too (my wife is a small business owner and you know the rest), etc., etc.,

And a status statement.
    I know, I am going to humor you, but in my world of highly (decently) paid professionals - 45K car is a statement.

To be continued...
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    I agree that my buying a Volvo is a statement

it's not as big a statement as buying a Mercedes, but it is more of a statement than buying a Chrysler (even a Daimler-Chrysler)

the Volvo label does have "some" panash (sic?)

I am just hoping that the reliability is average.

I am concerned about reliability, but I felt that on allother issues the XC90 beat its competition. The decision would have been far more difficult if I only needed seating for 4 or 5, but if you want seating for 7 the analysis is pretty simple. And the "grin" factor of driving the XC90 compared to the MDX, well....I just didn't smile when driving the MDX. I enjoyed the drive of the XC90 more. But that's a matter of taste. The MDX is a fine vehicle.

I also wanted something that looked good, and I didn't feel that the MDX looked good. Felt the same abiout the Highlander (they have 7 seats now?).
  • 1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    I decided on the XC90 by ignoring Consumer Reports. I based my research on Volvo company track record and took into account the XC90 was a new release.
    I have been fortunate in that I have had none of the miriad of problems a [B]few[/B] have had, save for the radio power, which was quickly fixed.

The problem I have had with Consumer Reports is how they gather their info. They send surveys out to owners to fill out. These owners, as I understand it, only receive a survey if they are a CU subscriber. This leaves out a huge portion of potential owners.
    Secondly, the survey is a fairly long, exhaustive survey. Owners who have a problem-free vehicle are less likely to spend the time to fill out the survey than owners who have problems. The owners who have problems are more inclined to vent their frustrations by spending the time to fill out the survey and send it in.
    Over 40k XC90's have been sold in North America alone since the `03 model year. The posters on boards like these make up a small fraction of total owners regards to complaints.
    One can go to any make and model on these boards and find miriads of owner problems but they all make up a fraction of total owners.
    I quit relying on publications telling me what to buy when I bought a new `96 Mercury Sable, which CU glowed over (it and the Taurus). I had nothing but problems the first four to six months of ownership, with lingering nitpicky maintenance issues on and off until I offloaded it.

But hey, I'm just a happy XC90 owner for over 9 months now, what do I know?
    Thank you,
    You saved me a few minutes to write a second part of my response to habitat1.
    Great points.
    The CR is not any more objective than the current Town Hall message board. I have ignored CR twice in my life - once with Nissan Altima and then - with Volvo S80 and I am happy that I've done it.
    It was not difficult for me to do - when you read the reviews, you have to pay attention to the matter, not to the emotions. Then you can get a relatively objective picture even from the negative reviews.

In both previous cases, and now, with XC90 I just do not see any real substance in the complaints, that will prevent me from buying a car I like because of... (see my previous postings)

The reliability of Volvo is less than Toyota and always will be less than Toyota, but so what?
    The average car reliabilty is so high now, that it practically guarantees a reasonable trouble-less (it's never trouble-free) experience.
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    Lev:

If you're going over to the mainland you'll want to check out TT Lines and Scan Line. However, be forewarned that the fast boat is in the morning. Afternoon boats take about 5 hours. (Yes....I learned the hard way). AND....The Raddison bar makes a TASTY BURGER!!!!
    I am not sure of the point, but I took Lev's challenge this A.M. in the undergound parking lot of a high rent office building (law/finanicial firm tenants) in downtown DC. I estimated that there were at about 350 to 400 cars (70-80 / level x 5 levels) at the time I left from my meeting.

Here's my car count:

8 Volvo's, including:
    3 S80's
    1 S70
    1 C70 Convertible
    1 XC70
    1 V70
    1 XC90

21 Lexus, including:
    7 LS (4 400; 3 430)
    4 GS (1 300; 1 400; 2 430)
    3 ES (2 300; 1 330)
    2 LX470
    1 GX470
    2 RS330
    2 SC430

Didn't count Mercedes, but noted that there were 2 SL500, 1 SL55, 1 C32, 2 E55 (old design). My guess is that there were 20 other Mercedes total, mostly E-class and S class. Not quite as many BMWs.

Unfortunately, by my estimates, 95% of the aforementioned cars were under 5-6 years old and most looked under 3. I'll keep my eyes open, but I can't remember the last time I saw a Volvo 240 or original 1989 vintage LS400 on the road here. Maybe they've all gone to California.

Like I said, I certainly don't put 100% confidence in CR. Or JD Powers. But I'm not sure trying to count old cars is going to become my gold standard for judging long term reliablity. It was rather interesting though, until I started getting honked at for going too slow while I was ditating my car counts into my tape recorder.

P.S. Just to clarify, I'm not trying to hold Volvo to the Acura/Lexus/Honda reliability standard. If they were in the top half of the ratings, on par with Saab, Nissan and BMW, I'd probably not be the least concerned. But they were way down near the bottom of the list, amoung brands I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. I hope that as more dat comes in, the XC90 proves to be more reliable than these surveys or JD Power ratings suggest.
    Habitat....

Think all the 240's got stuck here in Chicago with me on their way to California. We've got more of those things than corrupt politicians.
    Edward,
    You got to be kidding...

Lawyers and financial advisers working for the government and driving 15 year old cars...?

I would not think so, unless it's a collectible item.

Look, let's drop it. It one of those things where it's OK to disagree. I believe that Volvo has a high life expectancy, you do not and it's fine. I drive Volvo, you drive ??? and it's fine too.

What is important, that when we present our opinions we also are describe what is behind our opinion. This way - the average buyer from SF Valley, who can afford 45K car can relate to my views and my non-scientific researches, and the average buyer from Downtown DC will relate to your opinion.

One other thing - please, do not be snobby, there are not any cars on US market now, that is not good. They can be better or worth, but there is a market niche for every single car sold here, otherwise, they are pulled from the market (we saw it happened, didn't we - FIAT, Alfa-Romeo, Yugo).
    Cars in general became much more reliable.
    We can agree or not, but for the record, I don't think I ever said that Volvo's don't have a "long" life expectancy. This may be the case. But a long life is not necessarily the same as a "healthy" life. I don't plan on keeping an XC90 for 15 years; but I would want to be reasonably assured of a trouble free 6-8+ years.

Perhaps I am unusual in my low tolerance for maintenance and repair headaches. Of our three current vehicles, two have been delights to own; one has been a pain in the butt. I want to avoid a repeat of the latter.

The anecdotal evidence, Consumer Research reports, and other reviews go from one end of the spectrum to the other with respect to Volvo. I'll need to reach my own conclusion and I appreciate your input as well as that of others in this forum. So, thank you for that.
    Edward,
    Thank you and you are welcome.
    Just out of curiosity and to change the mood (maybe) - What are those vehicles?
    The ones, that are delight to own, and the one that is a headache?

I have jumpped into the discussion after 4 and half years of just reading solely because I wanted to get accurate anecdotal evidence from actual users but not the generalized statement - all Volvo are piece of crap. There was too much of that on this board. I think, that the tone of the discussion has changed a bit since then, and I want to believe that I have contributed to it somewhat.

The dynamics of the S80 board support my point of view. It started 5 years ago just as XC90 with the overall overtone that one more crappy vehicle hit the market. It has toned down a lot, since then, when there were more actual testimonies placed on that board. The Volvo is Volvo, relatively limited production car with a character, and you either like it or not.

So, for as long as we would try to post facts, and when posting opinions, try to explain what our opinions are based upon - I would be a happy participant.
    Delight: 2002 Honda S2000 w/ 17k miles; 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed w/152k miles.

Headache: 1996 Isuzu Trooper w/ 71k miles.

I am trying to put the Volvo in perspective. One nice thing is that, of the two dealers I might buy from, one is less than 2 miles from my house, the other even closer to where I do a lot of work and both include free loaners.

Best wishes.
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    I am thinking of purchasing a XC90 in the next year so I went back and read all the XC90 posts and now have some questions.
    First I now have a 01 RX300 which has been a very good car and plan to replace it in the next year or so. I started looking the XC90 because of the 7 seats. After driving 3 XC90’s (2.5’s) I finally decided as comfortable as my RX is, the XC seats are more comfortable. I also like the way it drives.

Since I own a RX I have read the RX posts for several years now and some questions that are discussed there and not here have surprised me. People on the RX forum discuss costs of the extended warranty but very little discussion of that here. Surprising considering there is a lot more discussion of reliably for the XC90. Did anyone buy an extended warranty and if so cost?

Maintenance - With Volvo doing all maintenance until 30K and oil changes at 7500 do the dealers use synthetic oil?

Cargo Capacity - With my RX I use a Thule roof box but I still have more room in back than I will have in the XC90 with the 3rd row seats. Does anyone know the distance from the back of the 3rd seat to the lower back door. I’m trying to figure out if I can lay my present suitcases I use down in the back. I will gain cargo capacity on top since the XC90 has a much higher roof rack capacity than my RX.

Reliability - Like all others here I am concerned about reliability. Do I think it will be as trouble free as my RX, probably not, but most of the posters here have not had major problems and as some have pointed out people with problems look for a place to complain about them. Most people without problems just enjoy their vehicles and therefore don’t post or read this forum. My daughter has a 1993 940 which has mostly been a very good vehicle.

Excitement - I enjoyed driving the XC90 and get excited about owing one. As nice as a new RX would be it just doesn’t do anything for me or get me excited. The XC90 does. I have more questions/comments but enough for now.
    Thanks
    I'll let actual Volvo owners answer your questions. But since I'm also considering the XC90 2.5, as well as the GX470, I wonder if you as a current Lexus owner have considered the GX470? If so, your thoughts and opinions. Thanks.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Gambiaman, It is 19.5" from the 3rd row seat to the lower back door. 47.25" from the second row (slided all the way back) to the lower back door. With the third seat down you should have more cargo room than in the RX.

I've had mine for 3 weeks now and the "initial quality" is just about perfect. Very comfortable and quiet down the road. Firm but compliant suspension. For long term reliability, this vehicle uses components that have been used in other Volvo vehicles for years so I am fairly confident. This is our 5th Volvo since 1988 and we usually trade them around 130,000 km (85,000 miles) and we did not have major issues with any of them. In fact I would say that reliabilty and quality have been improving steadily trough the years.

Guy :)
  • adplusoneadplusone Member Posts: 66
    We are finalizing my wife's next vehicle and an XC-90 is one of our finalist. Three questions of current owners...

1) What has been the most frustrating service/repair issue you have had?

2) What has been the most pleasant surprise in owning/driving the vehicle?

3) If you could change one thing on your XC-90 what would it be?

Any other owner comments would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Alan

McAllen, Texas
    1- None so far.
    2- Handling and quietness of the vehicle. Good standard sound system.
    3- On 2.5T, The engine has excellent low end torque but could use a little more top end power.

Guy
    1) What has been the most frustrating service/repair issue you have had?

None so far (after 9 months and 14.5k miles).

2) What has been the most pleasant surprise in owning/driving the vehicle?

For me (and I realize this is subjective) the comfort of the seats. I had lower back surgery 14 years ago, so long trips are a pain. I drove the entire trip to Florida pain free. The lumbar supports were excellent. Another pleasant surprise is the heated seats ( I was neutral at first but now really appreciate them). I was also surprised at the responsive acceleration of the 2.5T. We have had no complaints with it and it has been a breeze merging and passing - even on fairly steep grades.
    The premium audio with subwoofer has exceeded my expectations.

3) If you could change one thing on your XC-90 what would it be?

I would like to see a manual tranny as an option, but I understand that won't happen in the U.S.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Volvo uses a synthetic blend.
    I would think that S2000 is fun to drive and Maxima SE (the one with the white dials?)was my dream car 10 years ago.
    I have heard that s2000 is a bit underpowered in the low RPM band and you need to be pretty "heavy footed" to get it going. Is that so?

The latest responses from the current XC90 owners will help, I hope, to put the Volvo in perspective for you.
    I will attest to the XC90 later this year, when I will own one, though if you want to have my review of the XC90 introduction event in El Toro marina base last year, let me know.

I am going to post my perspective to the Volvo S80 to the respective board. So, you might visit it over the weekend.

Regards,

Lev.
    Craig,
    I already have booked the overnight ferry to Kiel, Germany on Stena.
    I've been in Gothenburg back in 2000, but it was March and it was rainy and really gloomy, so I found the city as somewhat blunt.
    But I had a great time in Stockholm, and found that city to be a real gem.
    Thanks,
    Lev.
    I have not considered a 470 because of the $50K+ price, MPG 15-18, and the fact it is just a re-badged 4Runner. I also read bad things about the way the 3rd row seats work although I have never even looked at one. I might have looked at a 04 RX 330 but last time I was at the Lexus dealer they had the 330 on their show room floor locked so I could not get in it without tracking down a sellsperson.
  • manvomanvo Member Posts: 9
    I've had my '04 XC90 2.5T AWD 3rd row seat etc etc since last October. Love it. The sliding middle seats are really convenient, and make occasional rear sitting a little better. Rear radar's very useful.

I bought extended warranty, 84mo/100k for $2100 at the dealer. I had very bad experience with a '94 Saturn (believed CR :-( then). I plan to keep this vehicle a long time. Owned a used '83 Volvo 240 station wagon. Man was it solid. Especially after two accidents (not my fault. Nobody hurt, except the other cars). I had a $7 tube (PVC?) changed on my Mercury minivan last summer. The dealer charged a total of $140 - fixing things can be expensive.

I am about to go for the 1st oil change. So cannot tell you much here.

The back cargo room is decent. You can fold down one 3rd row seat and it's easy since you don't have to remove the (oversized) headrest. The 3rd row has enough back room so people sitting there don't feel like "dropping off" the car.

I think this vehicle is too new to have real long term reliability data. That's partly why I bought the extended warranty.

I feel it's a nice and solid vehicle to own. One little experiment I did before: use one or two fingers, try to press against the body area such as hood, panel. Do it on a few vehicles and see if the feeling is the same.

The "big" columns don't bother me. I'd rather move my head a little than having "small" columns.

Driving is a lot about how you feel in there, too. I drove a Neon about ten years ago. I "outran" everybody in San Jose city/hwy while I was driving it - I was guilty of too hard on it. My point is, an engine is rated >= 6000 rmp, but how often does one drive His/her car at that rpm? If he does it often, get the extended warranty, please!
    You'll find that Gothenberg hasn't changed much. It's starting to become a bit depressed again as I understand that there are some plant layoffs (not sure if it'll be at Volvo) in the near future. Got that tidbit from one of the Swedes that was in Chicago for the autoshow.
    If the 3rd row on the GX is the same as on the 4 Runner, there is no distance between the rear door and the third seat. What happen to the oocupants of that seat if you are rear ended?

On the XC site, download the big pdf file (45 MB) on the Volvo site, there are some movies in there about how the vehicle have been built to protect the third row occupants. The roll-over movie is quite impressive too.

http://www.volvocanada.com/index.asp?pag=brochure&lng=en&- - col=anigreen&typ=cars&car=xc90
    A few pictures from that event last year
    http://home.socal.rr.com/liptchane/El%20Toro%20presentation/
    I have been inside of the car during the roll-over system demonstration.
    If the movie is impressive, then believe me - the ride itself is on a par with the best Disneyland rides.

The driver speeds up to 60MPH, then, when "moose" pops-up, takes his feet of the pedals, swirls car to the right and immediately to the left.
    You hear emergency braking screeches form under the carriage, while drivers feet are off pedals, and car maintaining an almost perfectly leveled composure.
    Our family took that ride three times, as I said, it's better than Disneyland.
  • sdjsoupsdjsoup Member Posts: 2
    If you have concerns about visibility due to the thick pillars, there are some "wide-angle" mirrors that you can get. They are genuine Volvo parts - the only place I know about in the US is Borton Volvo in MN (they have a shop over in Sweden, I believe, as well).

URL is
    http://www.borton.com/parts.html

I ordered the mirros, took them to my dealer and had them put the mirrors on before I picked up the truck last October.

They work great - completely remove the blind spot. I feel very confident changing lanes and have never had an instance of "missing" something.

I highly recommend them!!
  • armdarmd Member Posts: 33
    It's April - a new month and another opportunity for my XC-90 to repaired again. Along this thread, I've detailed the woes of this vehicle since it's delivery in June.

Thank goodness I own a bicycle, otherwise I wouldn't have reliable transportation to work.

Well, enough pleasantries and onto the issue at hand. If you recall my last entry had to do with rusting lugnuts. The dealer replaced them. This past week I noticed two new issues: 1) a crunching noise coming from the right rear-end at low speeds, 2) A banging noise eminating from the driver's seatbelt pillar.

Well, the dealer informed me that the two rear shocks were shot (I'd rather shoot the car) and had to be replaced - 16K miles and I haven't hauled or towed anything. The noise from the seatbelt pillar requires a relacement of the belt/tensioner assembly.

Did I mention that there were a lot of "software updates" too?

Not to dispair, I went to the boneyard today (on my two-wheeler of course) and pulled the Ford logo off an old Grand Torino. When I get the XC-90 back, I'm sure it will fit.

Volvo=Ford=Found on road dead.
  • rjsmomrjsmom Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2004 XC 90 (FWD T5) purchased the 1st of December '03. The car has approximately 5500 miles on it. Here's my input to your questions:

1) Frustrating service/repair issue? We've only had it in the shop one time. Be SURE to let the Volvo dealership install your trailer hitch. My husband had a third party install one and we ended up having to take it to the dealership to get a wiring harness and to have the computer reset. At the same time, we were complaining about a knock we noticed when applying the brakes as well as accelerator. They said they tightened some bolts (I don't know which ones) but the problem is not resolved. We haven't bothered to take it in AGAIN for this.

2) Pleasant surprise owning/driving vehicle - The fact that it rides more like a car than a SUV. My previous SUV's were Ford Explorer and Mercedes ML320 which had rough rides. I'm also pleasantly surprised that I am overall very pleased with the vehicle because it was my second choice. I wanted the BMW X5 but chose the Volvo because of the 3rd row seating and was more kid friendly than the BMW...mainly more cargo space.

3) One thing I would change....well, actually two things. First, I would prefer to have AWD. We didn't get it because when we had to turn in the leased Mercedes, we couldn't locate the Volvo in the color I wanted with AWD so we settled for FWD (we live in FL). Secondly, I think Volvo needs to redesign the rear of the SUV due to rear visibility. I find it extremely difficult to see objects when backing up. I wish I had the back up rear sensors.

Hope this info helps and that if you do choose the Volvo that you will be happy. I used to own a 240DL that I had for 13 years.
    Why don't you just cave and make them take the car back? It's obviously a lemon. If you have less than 15k on it I believe there is something that says that you can return it.
  • cheapskate7cheapskate7 Member Posts: 25
    1. None

2. Rich vinyl/fabric interior [non premium]

3. Am unable to read digital info on dash in daytime with
        sun glasses [polarized to reduce dash reflection on wind
        shield]. Also, an analog clock instead of tach would be
        practical [would rather know time of day than when the
        turbo kicks in]. A tach belongs on stick shift sports car,
        not an SUV anyway [now that should generate a few
        challenges].
  • armdarmd Member Posts: 33
    Picked up the vehicle today and discovered the following:

Over the last week Volvo has released over a "dozen" service bulletins related to the XC-90 including 1) Installation of a new fuse/breaker for the headlight washers, 2) some sort of strap device for the tailgate, 3) A new key system so the ring doesn't fall off. There are others as well.

The dealer replaced the rear shocks (as in another service bulletin), put in for a new driver's side seat belt assembly, and updated the software.

One of the software fixes which is immediately apparent is that at the conclusion of raising the power windows, there is a brief "power burst" which occurs bilaterally and seems to cinch the windows in tightly - hopefully alleviating the dreaded window drop.

Still, IMHO these issues should have been addressed before the vehicle was released. It is clear to me that Volvo rushed this product to market with inadequate testing/revisions. My major bone of contention arises from Volvo's advertising campaign which misrepresents the product. They claim that the vehicle was designed from the ground up in order to "do it right". What is sadly evident is that Volvo who is late to the SUV game, just "did it"
    My RX300 has Xenon headlights on low beam only and like them very much and had had no problems seeing with them. I assume bi-xenons on the XC90 means both hi and low beams are both xenons. Do you XC90 owners with the xenons like them? They are listed as a $500 option but you apparently can’t get them without another option raising the cost to about a $1000. I am presently still inclined to get mine with bi-xenons if possible.

guyf: You said the distance from the back of the 3rd seat to the lower back door is 19.5”. The Volvo brochure seems to indicate it is 22.6”. Comments? Which is correct? Since you probably actually measured it I would trust your measurement. I’m trying to figure out if one of my suitcases will fit there lying down.

Do any of the 3 12V outlets retain power when the ignition is off?

When I bought my RX I went thru the FWD vs. AWD question and figured I live in FL and had never had a AWD vehicle or needed it so I went with the FWD. Any reason not to get a FWD XC90 instead of an AWD vehicle?
    More questions to come.

Thanks
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Just about every car has multiple TSB's whether new or old. Volvo is no worse than many others. It could be read as a sign of quality in that the company is attentive to issues and quickly develops solutions and fixes to problems.
    I measured on the floor, from the back of the rear seat to the inside of the door. I think that in the brochure they measure to the window or outside of the door.

If your suitcase is 19.5" or less, it's going to fit.

A FWD will be lighter and save some fuel; but not much.

Guy
    Has anyone tried installing the following running boards for XC90 (2.5T) DIY? Does it involve any heavy duty action like drilling/welding? Can the boards be installed by putting a few bolts/nuts in places pre-made by Volvo?

http://volvo.autowebaccessories.com

How about the grey floor mats there for XC90? Is the color really dark like almost black, or slight lighter grey?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    I road tested a XC90 which had the board have found them more of a nuisance than anything else. The XC is not so high that you need a step to get in. No boards on my XC90 and no problem to get in the vehicle.

My 2 cents....

Guy
    The 12V outlets do not retain power with ignition off.

Guy
    Would the running boards help reach and load/unload a side opening cargo box on top of the vehicle?
    Emm
    Does this site (http://volvo.autowebaccessories.com)
     sell genuine Volvo parts or aftermarket parts?
    Emm
  • bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    > Can the boards be installed by putting a few bolts/nuts in places pre-made by Volvo?

Yes but the running boards are heavy enough for this to be a 2-person job. They bolt on over existing brackets with longer bolts.

> How about the grey floor mats there for XC90? Is the color really dark like almost black, or slight lighter grey?

Fairly dark. Matches the graphite interior.
  • bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    > Do you XC90 owners with the xenons like them?

I like them. They do have a sharp cut-off which bothers some people. Many seem to have been aimed too low from the factory although this is easy to adjust.

> Do any of the 3 12V outlets retain power when the ignition is off?

The one in the cargo area stays on.

> Would the running boards help reach and load/unload a side opening cargo box on top of the vehicle?

Yes. They also help children get in and out, but they tend to be in the way of adults.
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    Lots of talk about the 4-times stronger than regular steel (what ever that is?). But what excatly are the spedifictions of this B-steel they use to the safety cage? Perhaps if they did spell it out for use, we would look it up and think -- hey, they could have done better?

Anyway some web sites on steel. Hardness is wath we are look for, I believe.

http://www.matter.org.uk/steelmatter/metallurgy/7_1.html

http://www.materialsengineer.com/E-Alloying-Steels.htm

http://www.primosknives.com/articles/alloys.htm

http://www.efunda.com/processes/heat_treat/introduction/heat_trea- tments.cfm

Anyway, lets got to the bottom of it. What kind of steel does Volvo and the other use in their safety-cages?
    I would definitely take the advice offered on this board and pursue or at least investigate whether you qualify for your state's lemon laws. It would be more therapeutic than posting complaints that aren't questions requiring a response. You're obviously past that state now, but your energies would be better focused on demanding recourse from the manufacturer. On the numerous boards which I post, I 've never seen someone with so many problems with one vehicle.
    To this day, I've had spectacular service from mine, and just returned from the dealership after having had the 15k service performed. My experience is obviously the polar opposite of yours and adds to my dismay, I'm sure.

Zeen is correct in that every manufacturer issues TSB's to their service dealers. These TSBs contain info regards to how to proceed with certain repairs, and are occasionally simple instructions in dealing with maintenance that the dealer may not have been aware of.
    For example, (per the NHTSA website) the `03 Infiniti FX35 has 22 TSB's, the `03 XC90 has 13 TSB's and the Acura MDX had 41 TSB's.
    Bottom line, TSB's are not much of an indicator to quality issues. The number of recalls and consumer complaints are, however.
  • guyfrguyfr Member Posts: 55
    http://www.designnews.com/article/CA404457

You will find some answers in this article.

Guy
  • roper6roper6 Member Posts: 8
    armd,
    I'm right there with you. 15 repair visits in 9 months, less than 10k miles on the car. The last 2 trips to replace a rear wheel bearing and to "reseat" the rear springs.
    Getting the manufacturer to take a car back is not as easy as it sounds. Here in MN, you have to have 4 failures of the same part, or be without use of the vehicle for 30 days. So, 11 more visits, then I can get an attorney to try and force them to take it back. That is of course if they don't want arbitration. Gotta love it!
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    Excellent article and web site. This will have an impact on what is my next vehicle.
    Glad I could help!

Guy
    Thanks for your helpful information. I think I can do it. I need that for my four year old :-) - Manvo