Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• peg5peg5 Member Posts: 1
    I have been a Volvo fan since I learned to drive on my parents' cool red 1969 Volvo sedan (it was 8 years old when I learned to drive and lived a good 10 more years in our family). My husband surprised me on my birthday with a beautiful new XC90. I have had the car for 2 1/2 years, and it has been one issue after another. Wheel bearings, shocks, muffler cover rusted and fell off, door locks malfunctioning, bad odor in the summertime(something about poor drainage in the cooling system), brakes. I think that's it. Add that to a very poor service team, and needless to say, I am disappointed. The service dept seems to be improving, but Volvo USA was of absolutely no help when I contacted them with my concerns. I have such mixed feelings now, I am considering trading this in, but am very hesitant..I really thought I was getting the best with a Volvo. I love it's looks, and it drives beautifully, but with all of it's issues and the gas guzzling I am seriously considering forgetting to return the beautiful Escalade they loaned me today while my car was being repaired....again.
  • bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    The things you mention are either minor fixes or wear-and-tear items. Disappointing, as you say, but not unexpected since the '03 T6 was Version 1.0 of the XC90. What did you want Volvo USA to do? The main thing in this case is dealer service and it sounds like they could be better but are Ok. FWIW I've had an '04 2.5T for 2-1/2 years with none of the problems you mention. Some people are trading in the T6 for the V8, although that sounds rather pricey to me.

Gas consumption on my 2.5T is not bad, averaging in the low 20's but that, of course, is highly dependent on conditions, maintenance and driving style. The T6 is a heavy car with twin turbos, so if you drive vigorously or in stop-and-go traffic then mileage will suffer. I drove a T6 on a long road trip and averaged in the mid 20's, so it can give good results. Evidently, the V8 does as well as the T6.

Hope problems settle down for you and it becomes an old friend. Good luck.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I wonder if the XC90 is going to get the new V6 to replace the 2.5T. That would make it a lot more desirable vehicle, imo. (I'm not a big fan of turbos.)
  • dhdandhdan Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a CPO '04 XC90 2.5T and noticed that it did not have the cargo cover in back. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to obtain one. Is a dealership the best source? How much should one cost? Thanks.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I must correct myself--it's an in-line 6, not a V6. Looks like a very nice engine.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Yes, the SI6 will replace the 5 cyl in 2007.
  • jmr2jmr2 Member Posts: 1
    Having many problems with this car. Local Volvo Dealer no help. Been sitting in Volvo dealer in another city for over 2 months. At just over 50K miles, one turbo blew. Then within next year and 20k mi, 2nd turbo blew and engine blew. All with proper vehicle maintanence and documentation. Cost to repair quoted over $10k -- Volvo NA not helpful.

Anyone else experienced these type of problems?

Anyone have insight into dealing with Volvo NA to get resolution for poor quality and manufacturer defects?
  • templeton3templeton3 Member Posts: 69
    We have a 04, XC90, T6, with 53,000 miles. Only problem we had was with a rattle from the front door panel which the dealer took care of it.

On January 13, 06, my wife was rear ended by a Lincoln Town car. My wife was at a stop at the intersection and the Lincoln just rammed into her without stopping. It was estimated that she was going 35mph. The town car was severely damaged, the Volvo had $1900.00 of damage. Wife is okay.
  • cv2006cv2006 Member Posts: 23
    It's not the FM transmitter. It will connect directly to the audio system by plugging the iPod into a cable located inside the armrest.

I'm having mine installed this coming Tuesday, I can't wait. :)
  • sswwdwwsswwdww Member Posts: 2
    CV2006, can you please provide additional information re the iPod adapter? Is Volvo installing this or is it an aftermarket installation, and if so, do you know the cost? The Volvo XC90 website has a photograph of the FM Transmitter, however there is no information re a hard wired version.
    Shortly after buying my XC90, I emailed Volvo asking if there were any plans to release an iPod adapter kit for the XC90. They replied to my email and informed me that the adapter would be available in February.

The Volvo dealership that we bought the vehicle from will be doing the installation. As of right now, I don't know the cost. I'm the tight-wad in our family, but my husband says that it doesn't matter how much it costs, it's going in. I'm beginning to think that he knows the cost, but won't tell me because I won't agree to it. :P

Here is the original reply from Volvo:

The iPod Adapter for the XC90 is scheduled to be released sometime in the middle of February of 2006. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and we will try to improve on this date. Thank you for your patience and also for being a Volvo Customer.

Drive Safely,

Bob Bradley
    Volvo Personal Shopper

I'll post once the adapter has been installed. :shades:
    It is an fm transmitter.
    As of right now, there is no hard wired version.
    Then, they must be lying to us. A hard wired connection is what they told us they will be installing. I'll let you all know what happens tomorrow.
    Ok, I found out the price for the kit and install... Ready? It's $713!!!! $200 of that amount is for labor, the rest is for parts. :surprise: :surprise: I think that's a ridiculous amount.

BTW, I confirmed, once again, that it is not an FM transmitter.
  • sswwdwwsswwdww Member Posts: 2
    Please post as soon as you have it installed. I contacted my local dealer today and they too stated it was hard wired so I am very curious as to the result.
    "BTW, I confirmed, once again, that it is not an FM transmitter."

Sorry but no. See http://www.volvocars.us/Showroom/XC90/Specifications/OptionsAccessories under Volvo iPod FM Transmitter. That is what is available for the XC90. The power is hardwired but the device is little more than a rebadged Transpod FM transmitter mounted to the left of the steering wheel. With the mount probably worth about $130. Pretty lame of Volvo.
  • soxfansoxfan Member Posts: 25
    cv - thanks - eager to hear how the install goes. after receiving an offer from volvo a couple months ago to hard-wire in a bluetooth speakerphone (which apparently works through the front two speakers), i figured they have a way to tap into the audio system. since the dvd system also taps into the system (just the back speakers), i have to imagine it's just a matter of time before we get a hard-wired version. i believe the bluetooth install was going to be close to $1000, so that quote for a hard-wired ipod install doesn't shock me. if it's just an fm transmitter, i'd recommend the monster cable with the dock connection - it's adequate if you can find a clear frequency (tougher in cities), and is less than $100. volvomax - can you confirm that bluetooth info?
    The ipod adaptor shouldn't be any more than $200 installed.
    The bluetooth should be @ $500 installed.
  • woeobwoeob Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in any information on gas milage on the XC90 AWD vs FWD. I can wait for the 2007s with the 6 cyl
    Should I wait??
    5 cyl AWD 17/22
    5 Cyl FWD 17/23

The new 6 cyl, who knows.
    Best case it will be the same mpg.

It will, however be more expensive.
    Probably be some deals on the 5 cyl at year end.
    the ipod adaptor they are referring to is not for the XC90.
    It is for the S60,S80,V70,XC70 cars.
    Just thought I'd give an update on the iPod install. Long story short, it wasn't installed.

We confirmed that the first price we were quoted was incorrect, the actual install price was $430+, still high. Apparently, some additional parts that weren't "needed" were included in the $700+ price. First mistake on their part.

The service technician that we had been in contact with insisted that the iPod kit was NOT an FM transmitter. So, my husband drove over an hour to get to the dealership for the appointment, as soon as he arrived he asked to see the kit. Sure enough, it's an FM transmitter and definitely not what we want. Mistake #2. Anyway, all the rep could do was apologize.

My husband, being an engineer, wants to speak to the Volvo engineer. I've done some searches regarding the kit for the XC90 and people are disappointed that this is the best that Volvo could come up with.

So, off I go... driving without my iPod. :cry::cry:
    The reason why is that there isn't any auxiliary input on the Volvo radio.
    When the ipod is installed on the S60(which has an older radio design) the input for the 10 disc trunk mounted cd changer is used.

Until Volvo redesigns the XC90 radio, a direct ipod interface is not possible.

I'm sorry that you recieved inaccurate information.
    For what it is worth, I have an fm transmitter adaptor for my ipod on my S60 and I am quite happy with the results.
    I have an iTrip FM transmitter and it's basically worthless, lots of interference where we live. My brother has had the same problem with his FM transmitter, he gave up on it. What kind do you have? Is it a hard wired type, like what Volvo is now offering, or something like iTrip? If the XC90 had a cassette player, I would buy a cassette adapter, those work well.

I also bought some cable to plug my iPod into the output for the dvd system. It worked, but the sound quality was poor. Also, it was quite distracting since the iPod would shut off automatically if left alone for too long, not a good idea while driving.

What we did with my van is to have a new radio installed with direct output for the iPod. It's an option that we considered for the XC90 when we bought it. However, we were told that we couldn't install a new radio with iPod capability in the XC90. Apparently, the radio is not located behind the faceplate in the XC90, but somewhere else in the car. When I asked where the actual radio is located, they couldn't answer my question. Anyway, my question: Is this info accurate? TIA
    My transmitter plugs into the power outlet. I don't get any interference.

The radio reciever is buried in the dash somewhere, I don't know where exactly.
  • tmang17tmang17 Member Posts: 3
    Hello!

My husband and I are considering buying a new 2005 or 2006 Volvo XC90 and have heard lots of negatives regarding the reliabilty and problems with it, can anyone give their insight or experiences (positive or negative appreciate). We really must have a dependable vehicle it is the whole reason we are shopping for a new vehicle. Please help, we're making a decision within teh next 2 weeks.

We're between an XC90 and the Lexus GX. But really like the third row in the XC90.

Thanks!!
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    The reliability is average (by all sources) = decent, nothing to worry about.
    For whatever it is worth - our 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD has 0 problems @35K miles.

Our other car - 2000 S80 (same perceived issues with the reliability) - nothing but a joy @ 115K miles.
    Although, we had some of the common problems (sub frame bushings, etc.) - the dealer was great, and the repairs were not much of annoyance.

I would recommend to get an extended warranty, though (just for a peace of mind).
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Same experience here with a 2004 2.5T XC90. 1 wheel bearing changed under warranty, no big deal. 30,000 miles and no other problem. We also own a 2004 S60 2.5T, 20,000 miles and no problem whatsoever.
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    I have a 06 V8 XC90 with 7000 miles and no problems. I also think gas mileage might be better with the XC90. I've been averaging 19.5 MPG in mixed city/hwy driving. Not sure I would get that good in a GX470. I previously had a 01 RX300 so I am familiar with Lexus. Both very nice vehicles but the GX is an upgraded 4Runner and did nothing for me. Just wanted something different and also liked the 3rd row seat configuration better than the 4Runner. The built in child seat has also come in very handy on several occasions so far. When you aren't expecting to carry a little one it has saved installing a car seat twice in one weekend.
    Em
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    There are probably alot of XC90 owners not experiencing any problems with their vehicle. I wouldnt just go by the forum. People are probably more likely to post when their car is having problems not while their car is behaving perfectly.
  • gis514gis514 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 2.5t (non AWD) with 1600 miles on it. I'm getting around 12 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. My problems is that 95% of my driving is in the city. I called volvo and was told to wait until 5000 miles to allow the engine to break in. Not satisfied
    with this advise, I called the service mgr and scheduled a fuel consumption test. They basically checked the computer for faults and checked for fuel leaks. They then filled my tank and took it for a road test. Guess where they road tested it? You guessed it, on the highway (23 mpg). I was told to monitor the next 3 full tank fills/odometer/trip reading and do manual calculations. Then, if still
    not satisfied, take it back with receipts for further eval.
    If you're getting this vehicle based on sticker city mpg. Buyer beware. We're talking Hummer Miles here.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    Driver beware - XC90 IS NOT a sport coupe. Let off the gas pedal from the stand still and you will see 17.5-18 MPG.

The reason that I believe it - your highway mileage is pretty much the same as our. Most likely, there is no any malfunctions with the car.

What did you drive before? I really mean no disrespect - but city MPG IS mostly a reflection of your driving habits.

My wife easily gets 17.5-18 coming from 2 consecutive Mazda MPV (160HP @ pretty much the same weight as XC90 with 208 HP), and I can do even better coming from F-150 and very mellow S80 2.9 non-turbo.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I've got to agree...I've found mpg to be exemplary...
    "...we were told that we couldn't install a new radio with iPod capability in the XC90. Apparently, the radio is not located behind the faceplate in the XC90, but somewhere else in the car. When I asked where the actual radio is located, they couldn't answer my question. Anyway, my question: Is this info accurate?"

Pretty much. There is no traditional radio in the XC90. Rather, the components are scattered all over the car: antenna and electronics in the roof, amplifier under the front passenger seat, and the head (display) unit in the dash. It's hooked together through a MOST (Media Oriented Systems Transport) architecture which is used in many premium cars. The problem is that this kind of system is "closed" and we have to rely on the car manufacturer to provide accessory inputs. Volvo is behind the curve here and it's a mystery as to why they haven't come up with a better solution than an FM transmitter. One enterprising owner with electronics savvy took apart the amplifier and added an input, so Volvo could do it if they wanted.
    "We really must have a dependable vehicle it is the whole reason we are shopping for a new vehicle. We're between an XC90 and the Lexus GX. But really like the third row in the XC90. "

Neither vehicle is likely to leave you stranded. The Lexus will probably involve fewer trips to the dealer for little things, so with the Volvo much will depend on how you like the dealer's service department. Most of them are pretty good and often supply a free Volvo loaner, but some dealers are not there yet. Before buying any premium car, check out the dealer and ask some other owners of their service experience. The XC90 is our only car and has taken us over 50,000 miles without a significant problem.

The XC90 and GX470 are roughly similar size but have many differences. The most obvious is that the XC90 is car-based with AWD and the GX470 is truck-based with 4WD & low-range. If you travel into the backcountry the Lexus will be more capable. If you stick to maintained roads--pavement or dirt--the XC90 will handle better and cost you less fuel. The XC90 also has more versatility in seating and cargo. And that Swedish style.
  • schatz32schatz32 Member Posts: 1
    My wife is interested in the 2.5 T and I'm totally unfamiliar with the cooling mechanism used on the turbo. What are Volvo's instructions on running the car after you stop, if any? Anybody had a turbo go out due to coking? Is this an issue to be concerned about? If so, would an extended warranty be a good idea? My knowledge base only extends to (1) don't drive a turbo hard the last mile or so before you stop, (2) let it run for a bit after you stop, and (3) switch to a full synthetic after breakin.
  • enginoneenginone Member Posts: 20
    The XC90 owners manual describes the same basic precautions you listed in items 1 and 2 above. In the early to mid-80s, it was common to hear about premature turbo failure. I owned an '82 GL turbo, took the above precautions, and still replaced the turbo at about 75k. But, the early turbos (early-80s) were oil-cooled only, and prone to coking the bearings if you didn't let them idle back down after hard driving. The replacement turbo included additional cooling from the engine coolant. Volvo (and others) discovered this problem in the mid-80's and created a retrofit kit to add the extra cooling lines when a replacement turbo was fitted. I believe they updated the design in the mid- to late-80s to include the water-cooled turbos from the factory. At the time I replaced the turbo in the 82, I was told that water-cooling extends the life to at least 150kmi. I didn't hang on to that one long enough to find out, but my other turbo is in an '85 Mercedes diesel, and is still running on the factory unit at >150k, so long life can be achieved with them if you use care.

I haven't been able to spot the turbo in my XC90 (in the 5 days I've had it) to confirm if it includes coolant lines, but it would make sense that the design keeps the water cooling -- maybe someone here can confirm?
    All Volvo turbo's are both water and oil cooled.
    As long as you change the oil when you are supposed to, and let the engine idle down after high speed driving the turbo should last the life of the car.
  • enutsenuts Member Posts: 2
    :sick:

I just bought a fully loaded 2006 Volvo XC90 v8.
    In the four weeks I've had it, I've put about 400 miles on it and it has BROKEN DOWN twice!

The first time, my wife and I were on a road trip to Baltimore. I though it would be nice to take my week old luxury SUV for a nice long drive. BIG MISTAKE! To make a long story short, I drove to my friends place in Baltimore, park the XC90 and that’s it. Once I parked the SUV I could never get it out of park. I had to have the car towed to NY to have it fixed and my wife and I had to fly back home.
    Volvo and my local dealer did the right thing by paying for the $1,000 towing bill. However no one has offered to reimburse us for the airfare.
    Once my local dealer looked at my XC90, they were able to quickly point to a manufacturing defect in the wiring and fixed the SUV in less than half a day.

Now, I get back form a week long business trip and the brand new $50K SUV sitting in my drive way wont start. It may just be a dead battery, but any vehicle much less a brand new car should be able to sit for a week without discarding its battery. I guessing there’s some systemic electrical issues in my XC90.

Has anyone had any success in getting their dealer to exchange a brand new car that has turned out to be a dud?

I ask because this SUV clearly is not a functional vehicle given the amount of time I’ve owed it, the miles I’ve put on it, and the number of times it has turned into a pretty black paperweight.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    <+eNuts+>

P.S.
    I&#146;ll update this post as I get more information back form my dealer.
    bigeddy~ That's the most thorough explanation I've gotten so far! Thanks!
  • nssvolvonssvolvo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 XC-90 2.5 - bought in December 2005. Within a week I got a warning saying "anti-skid service required". The message goes away and then comes back. I took the car into the dealership and they ordered a new sensor. After they replaced the sensor, the message came back the next day. The dealer is not sure what will need to be done next. They have offered a loner since he indicated that it could take up to a week and a half to correct the problem (if they can fix it). He also informed me that they had a 2004 in their shop that they had been working on for a week and a half. I haven't taken it back in yet, hoping they can figure it out on someone else's car first.

Did your problem ever get resolved?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Now this is an XC90! (Straightline)

Steve, Host
  • simonmasonsimonmason Member Posts: 3
    Can you post more information on the owner who hacked into the amplifier? Do you know who it is? Do you know what they did exactly? I am planning to do something similar to install a Harman Kardon Drive Play and would love to get some pointers. Thanks.
    Per forum rules we are not allowed to link to other sites; I tried once and had my message deleted. If you search around the net you will come across references to people modifying the XC90's audio system in various ways. There seem to be new car audio interface products coming on the market every month so it is just a matter of time before there is a sanitary solution.
    It sounds like your mind is made up so I don't see what assistance we could provide. I would just recommend that you work through these apparently minor glitches and don't let them ruin the car for you. There is no reason to think there are "systemic electrical issues" that make the car a "dud." There are lots of possible reasons for a dead battery. If the dealer can fix it promptly why get upset?

Having a new car not start is annoying and inconvenient but it happens with any brand. As for the airfare, that was your choice to fly back and I would not expect Volvo to pay for it. Every time we travel something unexpected can happen that may delay us. Good luck and take it easy.
  • simonmasonsimonmason Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response. The only thing I have found surfing the web is in swedespeed where someone did some work on another model, a 50 I believe, to add the unit that I am looking at (the Harman Kardon Drive & Play). If you know of other sites maybe you could post key words that are guaranteed to find the sites through google or something? Thanks.
    Sorry you're disappointed to date -- has the dealer been able to resolve it yet?

Regarding the dead battery, is it possible that you left the parking lamps on by accident? I did just that today, and killed the battery. Thankfully, it started on a jump OK.

I had noticed earlier that I don't get any warnings when I open the door if the headlight switch is left in this position, but this is the first time I completely forgot to switch back to automatic before I left the car for a long period.
    Does anyone know if a headlight warning should sound if the light switch is left in a position other than automatic? Mine doesn't, and it seems like it should (common feature on every other car I had, including other Volvos).

Also, does anyone know if autolocking is programmable by the owner, or can it only be done by the dealer? If dealer, is it complimentary, or is there a typical fee?

Thanks in advance
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    I have not had a reason to manually turn on the headlights and I bet this is partly the reason why there isn't a warning. Their engineers might have other reasons. As for the autolock, I had to take mine to the dealer. I suppose you can do it if you own one of those computers they use to program stuff into the car. I was told there is a charge for getting things like that programmed but on mine I was able to get them to commit to doing things like that for free when I was negotiating the price of my XC90. You can probably sweet talk them into doing it for free. It's not like it cost them money to do it. If anything it's just the technician's time they are charging for. Then again, I don't think it takes that much time to do it. Probably just a few minutes.