Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    middle seat isn't removable
    It does fold down.
  • jim314jim314 Member Posts: 491
    Are any of the 2nd row seats removable in the 2007 XC90?
  • bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    You can download a manual at Volvo's Owner's Info website after free registration.

The seats are not designed to be removed; why do you want to do that? The middle seat is a booster seat for children which operates differently from the other seats; it elevates and slides forward.
  • love2driveinctlove2driveinct Member Posts: 80
    I do not currently own an XC90, but am considering it when I replace my current SUV at lease end. One of the most attractive features to me is the integrated booster seat in this vehicle. I have a few questions, though, so I'd appreciate any input:

1) Does this booster qualify as a real booster seat in terms of meeting requirements of state laws? (ie, in my state a child must be 6yo and 60lbs to not be legally required to ride in one)

2) How is it in terms of comfort and ease of use? Is it really that helpful, or do you find that it being only in the middle seat (?) limits how much use it gets?

Thank you advance...
    The booster seat meets all applicable federal laws.
    Thank you volvomax, that was pretty much what I was hoping and assuming...

Anyone out there have any real world experience with using this seat?
    I've used it only a couple of times with child passengers and it seems to work OK. When the car was new the seat would not extend because of a loose cable but that was fixed during a routine service visit. Note that the center console can be removed so that the seat can be moved as far forward as possible and the child is near the parent in the front seat. There was a hilarious Australian commercial about the booster seat a few years ago (search for "Bloody Volvo Driver"). I read that the XC70 can be ordered with dual booster seats and won a couple of safety awards.
    Thanks for your reply. I did check out the video, too, lol...

I keep going back and forth as to whether I'd really want my youngest in the middle seat, but since the majority of the time I am driving (I'd say 70%) it will be just her in the back, I'd want her in the safest spot. If I have my other two children, who are in school while I'm running errands but still get transported to activities, etc, I could choose to put them on either side of her or one/both in back, etc, etc.

What do you think of the folding 3rd row? (If you have it.) One of the things that really impressed me when we test-drove this vehicle in 06 was how easy it was to fold & unfold the seats, and the fact that you could do so while standing next to the 2nd row. In my MDX, I can easily fold the 3rd row down while standing behind the vehicle, but to get it back up I have to actually climb in the back, which sometimes I feel a little silly doing in front of people :blush: .
    In 2004 the booster seat came only in the 7-seater (Versatility Package) and I assume that is still true. The 3rd row works great once you know the sequence and even fits small adults. The XC90's seating is extremely flexible although you may have to play around with seat positions so that everyone has enough legroom.
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    Anyone have any experience getting Volvo to replace the brake fluid on a Volvo XC90 as part of the "free" 3 years of maintenance?

The manual says the "typical" replacement is 37,500 miles OR every two years at owner request OR every one year at owner request if driven in a humid climate.

I'd think that means they'd AT LEAST cover one brake fluid change, regardless of mileage within the 3 year "free" service window.

What's been the experience of others on these boards?
  • truffles1truffles1 Member Posts: 20
    Questions for Volvomax: I purchased leather conditioner, cleaner and softener. How often should I use these products on my new XC90? The literature on the bottles conflicts a bit with the owners manual. Assuming the seats are clean, should I apply the conditioner, wait a week and then apply protectant?, or reverse the procedure?

Also, the owners manual says use 10w/30 for temperatures over 86 degree F, while another brochure says that 5w/30 can be used up to 100 degrees. I live in MA and I believe I can use 5w/30 all year round as there are not many days above 86 degrees. Kindly advise.

I own two new XC90's and the build quality is outstanding. Althought not a rocket, I love the sweet sound of the 3.2 in line six.
    The "Free" maintenance only covers the 1st 4 services.
    7500mi,15,000mi,22,500mi and 30,000mi
    Whatever is NORMALLY done on those services is covered.
    Anything else is paid for by the car owner.
    How often depends on the weather,and how much use the seats get.
    Here in AZ we recommend treating the seats every 6 months.
    I would put the protectant on as soon as the conditioner has been absorbed by the seat.
  • volvo5volvo5 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2005; purchased 7/05, I've had it serviced every 6-8 months as suggested by the service manager at the dealer; I think I've had 5 oil changes/services. And I've yet to reach 20k. What if I haven't reached those mileage points?
    Well, the free maintenance period is for 3 yrs only.
    Meaning that you have 3 yrs to get those services done.
    the system wasn't set up for people who drive less than the national average.
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    I'm very surprised that Volvo "cheaps out" on a safety-related issue.

Maintaining the integrity of the braking system seems like the sort of thing Volvo SHOULD and would care about. Volvo's own manual suggests (like those of many other major manufacturers) that two years is the appropriate interval for changing brake fluid, regardless of mileage. (Heck, in humid environments, the Volvo manual suggests replacing brake fluid annually.)

BMW, for instance, replaces brake fluid for free every two years, regardless of mileage, under their "free maintenance" program.
    I'm very surprised that Volvo "cheaps out" on a safety-related issue.

It's a maintenance issue,not a safety one.
    Personally, I have NEVER changed the brake fluid in my Volvo's.
    Had an 04 S60R for 3 yrs,car stopped as well when I got rid of it as it did when I bought it.

BMW, for instance, replaces brake fluid for free every two years, regardless of mileage, under their "free maintenance" program.

Well, to see how "free" it is,look at the price difference between an XC90 and an X5.
  • yfz12358yfz12358 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

I need some help on buying a used XC90. Currently I nail down to three choices. All of them are still within the 4yr factory warranty.

Car #1: 2005 XC90 T6 AWD with climate/versatility/touring packages (sold on 12/29/2004, 11 month left on factory warranty); 1 owner; Mileage ~36K; Non-Volvo dealer hence not certified; Asking price $26k (reduced from $29K); Carfax reports clean and shows 7 services (not sure what was done).

Car #2: 2005 XC90 T6 AWD with climate/versatility/possible touring/DVD entertainment packages (11/30/2004, 10 month left on factory warranty); 1 owner; Mileage ~44K; Volvo dealer, Certified Pre-owned (CPO) with 6yr/100K warranty; Asking price $30K; Carfax shows 2 services.

Car #3: 2006 XC90 2.5T XC90 with climate/versatility/possible touring packages (12/03/2005, 22 month left on factory warranty); 1 owner;Mileage ~22.5K; CPO with 6yr/100K warranty; Asking price $31.8K; Carfax shows 3 services.

I like the car #1 because of the price and low mileage but it is not certified so I might get bite by the future repair after the factory warranty. The CPO will give me two additional years on the warranty for the mechanical related repairs but I have to pay $3k more for the certified. Is CPO worth the money? The car #3 is newer model but with less powerful engine.

I have tested drive the car #1 and it looked good to me. The dealer selling the car is honda dealer and he seemed to know little about the car. We found one cushion was missing in the third row seat and he had no idea. Eventually when we looked at the storage compartment on the back and found the cushion was there. I asked him why they reduced the price. He said because the car was in the lot for almost two months. The estimate from edmunds shows 24K/26K/28K (tradein/private/retail) with outstanding condition. so the price is pretty good I have to say. I will test drive the car #2 and #3 today and tomorrow.

Any suggestions??
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    I suggest #3 due to the 2.5T instead of T6, and it being one year newer model year.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If the Honda dealer took #1 in on trade, why didn't they flip it to the Volvo dealer?

Maybe the Volvo dealer knew it had problems and couldn't be certified and they didn't want to put it on their lot.

Or maybe the Honda dealer hates the Volvo dealer and just tries to keep Volvos on the lot to spite them. :P

You could buy an aftermarket warranty for #1 I bet, especially since it's still under the original factory warranty. And probably for half what the CPO "premium" is gonna cost you.
    Thanks. Can you elaborate on why you like the 2.5T engine better than the T6?
    I will test drive the car#2 with the volvo dealer today. Do you think I can ask them to pull out the service records for the car#1? All the services of car#1 are done in this dealer. I guess the owner of car#1 must trade-in his car at honda dealer and bought a Honda.

If the honda dealer sell the car to the volvo dealer, they probably wont have that much markup?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can ask; all they can do is say no (or say some mumbo-jumbo about privacy rights, at which point you can say just give me the service visit info and leave off the previous owner's name). But if you have the VIN, they should be able to pull up the records.

You could just go straight to the service desk and ask them to do it before checking in with the sales staff.

Some dealers swap cars back and forth with other dealers to limit the mix of models on the lot, or so I've heard. But used cars sales is more profitable than new car sales so maybe the Honda dealer does think they'll make more from keeping the XC90. But why has it been there for 2 months? Maybe that's the normal flip time in your market?

Lots more over in the Smart Shopper board.
    Thanks I will give it a try to get the service records.

here is the in-market time for the cars:

car #1 >2month
    car #2 >1month
    car #3 >3month
    yfz314159, i think the 2.5T is better due to more transmission issues being reported for the T6, in hindsight it seems like the transmission/T6 combo may have been a mismatch. also the 2.5T has an additional gear in its transmission. Also the 2.5T torque curve is more to my liking: 2.5T turbo is lightweight and designed for low-end torque whereas the T6 turbo is designed for higher-rpm power resulting in more low-rpm turbo-lag.
  • thas9469thas9469 Member Posts: 7
    My advice would be to not buy a XC90 unless you can buy brand new and buy the extended warranty. My transmission went at 75,000 miles and volvo will do nothing. It cost $4,400.00 all because a plug fell out of the front axle and cause the grease to mix with the transmission fluid which over time destroyed the transmission. I was without a vehicle for 24 days and I will never buy another volvo.
    THanks for the explaination. Although I have yet to see anyone reporting transmission issues with the 2005 T6 model, I will keep that in mind when I make my pick. It might be just that the 2005 T6 model is not in the market long enough to show any real issues.
    Does anyone know what Volvo plans for the 09 models of the XC90? Anything new or exciting being added or changed? I'd love to see the back-up camera and bluetooth being integrated -- is that a pipe dream??

Honda has the vtec site for enthusiasts -- is there anything similar for Volvo?
    lovetodriveinstinct, there is the swedishbricks site/forum place. i'm pretty sure they put xc90 or 850 owners into a sort of stockade there so be careful. as for a backup camera, maybe that would be nice. the backup alarm in my ex-xc90 doesn't pick up everything, such as the pointy end of a s n o w p l o w hello. i wonder if any sort of backup assistance technology just encourages some people to slack off and back into things all the more.
    you are most welcome, yfz12358 - say hi to yfz12357 & yfz12359 for me!
  • stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    i wonder if any sort of backup assistance technology just encourages some people to slack off and back into things all the more.

Yes we already have those who can't drive a stick, have never seen roll down windows and soon will have some who can't back up a car or even lift the tailgate.

Volvo site is brickboard.com
    Yes we already have those who can't drive a stick, have never seen roll down windows and soon will have some who can't back up a car or even lift the tailgate

LOL I know what you mean... I have a back-up camera on my MDX and I find that, even after 2 years, I still do it the old-fashioned way.

Not so good at driving a stick, but can do it in a pinch. My Dad was a die-hard stick driver who made sure I learned. In an old pick-up truck with roll-down windows, no less...

Thanks again for the info on the other forums, will check it/them out.
  • stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    It is good to know how to do it the old fashioned way.

Its -35C here right now and my back up sensors give false alarms in this cold so I can't get out my driveway ;)
    Test drove a 05 V8 and loved it. Will pick up the car tomorrow. My first Volvo.

Cheers! ;)
    Don't expcet any major changes for the 09 XC90.
    Bluetooth MIGHT be a factory option.
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    Do you consider a 281hp turbocharged I6 a "major change"?

You don't know and Volvo ain't saying.
    Do you consider a 281hp turbocharged I6 a "major change"?

You don't know and Volvo ain't saying.

That engine is coming for the XC60.

If it was coming for the XC90, chances are I would have heard by now.
    So, I doubt that it will.
    The reason why it probably won't is that it really doesn't get any better gas mileage than the V8,and it doesn't have the power and torque of the V8.
  • getgeniegetgenie Member Posts: 8
    I am turning in my 2005.5 XC90 T6 next week for a V8 XC90. I never experienced any problems with the car except minor annoyances such as the center cup holder cover getting stuck and the dreaded steering thump until they resolved it. However, my experience with Volvo dealers has not been as good. While pleasant, he has not been very helpful and does not know the vehicle well.
    Since I was not able to locate an XC90 with a technology package, all I am trying to do is get info on Sirius and bluetooth. I want to place the Volvo bluetooth head unit to the left of the steering column, between the steering column and the panel for the headlights. Can that be done? The dealer says to place below the vents on the center dash which I'd like to avoid.
    As for Sirius, the dealer cannot tell me which unit they use or where they run the wiring! He says they mount it just left of the 12v outlet next to the gear shift. But he can't explain HOW they mount it or where the wires are exposed, and he says the antenna is placed on the roof "probably" over the windshield!
    Can anyone help out?
    Have you had Volvo install Sirius into your XC90? If so, where did you place it, and where are the wires, and where is the antenna?
    If you have the Volvo BT, where did you place it, and how does it work so far?
    Thanks in advance!
    I have never seen Bluetooth installed to the left of the steering column.
    The unit itself has to be placed in the center console next to the radio.
    It is possible that there isn't enough wiring to run the controller to the left of the column.
    Not to mention the additional time and cost to attach the unit to the left side of the dash.

As for Sirius, it isn't an aftermarket unit.
    The Sirius reciever is mounted behind the dash directly to the radio itself.
    There are no aftermarket controls for it.
    The antenna is mounted on the roof, at the rear.
    Thank you for the reply.
    However; why must the BT unit be placed on the center console next to the radio? Alternatively, can it be placed overhead, next to the switches for the lights?

As for Sirius, what model is it, and is there a picture of installed somewhere?
    Thank you
  • ferkyferky Member Posts: 20
    Can't help with BT, but I just picked up my XC90 yesterday with a dealer installed Sirius.

What Volvomax meant when he said that Sirius was not an aftermarket unit is that there is no external unit that sits on the dash or sticks to the windshield; it's not like it would be if you went out and bought a unit at Best Buy. The dealer installed Sirius is integrated with the existing sound system. All of the Sirius components are 'behind the scenes'. You wouldn't even know that my new car has Sirius unless you turn the car on and push the function button on the radio to switch it to satellite. IMO, this is much better than an aftermarket unit as it it fully integrated, you can control it from the steering wheel just like you would AM/FM/CD and there is no unsightly box on the top of your dash.
    Now I'm REALLY confused! I've arranged to pick up my new XC90 this Friday. What you are describing is what I thought I was ordering to be installed in my XC90. Do you have more info you can share about this, such as the model number or any kind of description of the Sirius unit you were given?

When I spoke with the dealer last night he told me he did not yet know the model of the unit being installed, leaving me the impression that he is installing a head unit which is what I don't want.

Also would you mind stating the price you paid, such "under $xxx.00."

Thank you.
    Another thing I forgot to mention: my dealer said it would not be fully integrated. He specifically said I would not be able to use the steering wheel controls.
    Thanks, again.
    Volvomax:
    Could you please reply with model information about the unit you described? I would like to present it to my dealer. As explained, above, the Sirius unit he described will not be fully integrated in that I won't be able to control it via the steering wheel. I also get the impression it is a box of some sort since he said they "mount it" just left of the 12v outlet at the bottom of the center console.
    Thank you.
    ferky:
    Is it possible that you have the technology package in your XC90?
  • ferkyferky Member Posts: 20
    Getgenie –

I absolutely do not have the technology package. The Sirius install was a last minute addition by me and it was the reason that I picked the car up on Tuesday instead of Monday (they needed to install it).

I really cannot give any more information on the unit because there is no unit for me to look at. The only documentation I have are some ID codes that were used to activate the service. I can confirm that (i) it was dealer installed, (ii) the steering wheel controls work the Sirius controls just the same as any other part of the radio and (iii) I got 6 months free when I activated it last night (I was not expecting the 6 months free so that was a nice surprise!).

As for price, one dealer quoted me $630 for the unit plus install, another quoted $680. The dealer I ended up going with was giving me $450 cash back for the last month’s lease on my older car. I asked if he could simply give that $450 back and they give me Sirius. We ended up agreeing that I not get the $450 cash, I added $100 to my payment due at signing and we had a deal.

I would suggest calling another local dealer and simply asking about the dealer installed Sirius option. Ask if it’s internal or a dashboard mount, and ask about the controls. I’m guessing that you are getting bad info from the dealer that you are now speaking with and a call somewhere else will give you some ammo to use against the guy/girl.
    It sounds to me like your dealer is putting an aftermarket unit in.

What are they charging for the unit?
    The factory unit costs over $600 to install
    Part # is 30752 770-5

Works on 07 and newer XC90's.
    My dealer wants $595.00. Another dealer quoted the same price.
    My dealer wants $595.00. Another dealer quoted the same price.

It doesn't sound like you are getting the factory unit though.
    Not if the steering wheel controls won't work and they are gonna hang a controller on the dash.
  • zkaudiozkaudio Member Posts: 60
    since the dealer ALWAYS forgets to reset my service light (among other things STAY AWAY FROM POWER VOLVO SOUTH BAY) this post has saved me from my last 3 services! Just wanted to bump it up:

1. With key in ignition, press and hold the trip button.
    2. Turn key to position I.
    3. When trip goes to 0, turn key the position II.
    4. Wait until trip goes back to the previous trip mileage (about 7 sec).
    5. Count 3 flashes of the orange triangle and release trip button.
    6. Turn off ignition and restart to verify light went out.

Thanks!
  • zkaudiozkaudio Member Posts: 60
    Volvo is LIGHTYEARS behind every other manufacturer in their Nav/Bluetooth/features . I really hope they pick it up in the next year... I think the xc90 is falling on the backburner as they focus on the xc60... perfect example is the keys... xc90 has these huge ugly keys, and even the cheap as s40 has a smaller cooler key... lame.