Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 SUV

1929394959698»

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The '03 is still in the back of my mind as well. VoloMax anything on the '03s I should be wary of?

As long as its a 2.5T you should be just fine.
    Heck, not all the T6's were bad either.
    We just sold a very nice 60k 03 T6.
  • willx45xwillx45x Member Posts: 7
    I don't think there is any question the V8 adds value - the mileage difference between the V8 and the 2.5T is insignificant and the V8 (by my research) is a far superior engine. Sounds like you got a great deal, but I believe your numbers are a little unrealistic. $25-26k is probably about on the money. $23k is a wish and a prayer.

w
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Well, like I said before, $25k is the number if the dealer purchased it more than a month ago. But unless you are in dire need or REALLY want this particular one, you could always wait a few weeks and you may be able to find one then that was purchased now at auction for $2k less. Either way, its a great vehicle and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I don't think there is any question the V8 adds value ... is a far superior engine

Yes, there is a question as to the value. If you took 2 identical models to a dealer here in NJ, the only difference being the engine, the offers you receive would be almost identical.

"Far superior" is certainly open to interpretation. Superior in what way? The 5-cylinder has been around much longer and has proven itself. Maintenance and parts on it are cheaper (fewer spark plugs, for instance). In about another 4 years, if the V8 still proves itself to be as reliable, then I may have your POV, but until then, I'm sticking to my guns on the 2.5T.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• willx45xwillx45x Member Posts: 7
    Volvomax or others - it is normal for the dealer to replace the tires as part of the CPO program. The certified XC90 we are looking at appears to have Michelin Pilots on it. They have a pretty good amount of tread left, but they are not new. Does the Volvo CPO process insist that they put new tires on it?

w
    I'm pretty sure there is an actual measurement they have to meet. I'm sure Vmax can tell you. But, for instance, they may need 7/32 minimum. So as long as they have that much, they are OK.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fluid15fluid15 Member Posts: 60
    +1
  • watchloverwatchlover Member Posts: 4
    I'd appreciate any advice, I have a 38 month old XC 90 * Cylinder with DVD entertainment that has been flawless. WE have 41K miles, new brake pads. The bank just dropped the buyout to $21K tax in.

Is this reasonable? Also, what about the Volvo extended warranty? Or how about somehow having my dealer "Certify" the car--will that extend the warranty?

Obviously local dealers want to sell/lease new ones so I'm seeking some advice from our online larger community. .

I believe we will keep the car another 3-4 years.> Thanks, D :D
    I have no idea what your tax rate is, but if you read back over the past dozen posts or so, we have been discussing the values of the '05s, so you can determine if it is worth it or not. Sounds like it should be.

Call your dealer and inquire about the warranty. They can give you a price.

• peetertpeetert Member Posts: 124
    Well I had a lot of back and forth over the phone with Volvo salesman and they ended up only coming down 1k off the web price to 24,990. I told him it too high and that's where we left it. We then went back to try the MDX's again and ended up getting a certified '05 Touring model comparably equipped to the Volvo for 22,9 with the 2.9% financing.

As we were making our decision, my wife looked at me and said " We're leaving the fold :( " I had to remind her we still had the s70 and it was the Windstar we were trading in.

Thanks for all your help qbrozen & volovmax.
    Congrats. Enjoy.

Tax rate (FL) 6.5%
    I have been told the state of FL regulates extended warranty's essentially fixing the prices. . . the extended warranty for 7yr/100K total is over $3600 via Volvo.

So purchasing the 2005 XC90 V8, with 41K miles, for $21K and adding $3600 for a warranty, may not make a fantastic deal anymore.

MY dealer states a new XC90 body comes out in 2010, and suggested I'd have to take another large depreciation hit trying to sell my 2005 V8, older body, in about 3 years (2011). Not mentioning possible more fuel efficient vehicles (such as disel-hybrids, etc). I had planned to keep the car another 3 yrs and trade it, with estimated 85K miles on it (still under extended warranty).

The problem is there are so many great deals on new 6Cyl XC90's (leasing from 425-500/mo on 12K/36mo with no cap cost), and it makes the risk of purchasing my 2005 a little greater trying to bet on the future market.

Any thoughts?
    My first thought is to forego the warranty should you decide to purchase the vehicle.

2nd thought .... leasing a new one.
    OK, so $500/mo for 36 months with $0 down = $18,000.
    If you buy your $21k XC90 now, do you really think it will be worth less than $3k in 3 years? I'm willing to bet my kidney it will be worth more than that.

OK. Ok. I guess I'm oversimplifying. I guess you'd finance the buyout, right?

Sooo... let's look at it this way. A $21k note for 5 years would be ~$410/mo. In 3 years, you'll have paid $14,760 and your remaining balance will be ~$9k. Let's say it depreciates 60% in that time (I'm pulling that number out of the air). That means it will be worth $8400. Right about what you owe. So we could say you break even. Even if you don't, since you've paid $3300 less than you would on a lease, the car could be worth as little as $6k at trade time and you'll still come out even.

So I guess its a matter of what you want and the deal you can get on a new one. Seems like they may be fairly close in cost over the next 3 years. You MAY have an out of warranty issue, however. BUT, you also may decide to keep this one for the next 6 years and really come out ahead. So now I'd probably be down to tossing a coin in the air. ;)

THat's what I"m up to, but the dealers seem to be offering amazing deals on new ones because teh '09 is due out soon, and '10 is a new body style. . . I'm not sure how to estimate the depreciation 3 years from now, with 85,000 miles . . . . but right now I beleive trade in values may be as low as 16-18K (Dealers don't want these, they are lined up at auction).

interesting that there are far and few V8's around (Mine is a V8) eventhough the gas milage is almost the same as the new 6Clyinder. . . perhasp the V8 may be worth more?

At the end of the day it may be a coin toss, or a reasonable dealer.
    Correction: the new XC90 isn't due until 2012.
  • hickorystickhickorystick Member Posts: 4
    I love my XC 90. got close to 50k miles on first set of tires and brakes. Engine is clean as a whistle. Does not leak or consume anything but gas. Dealer maintenance was great. Now I moved to Hawaii. One dealer; He charges three times the going rate for everything. Cost over $100 to shake his hand. The brake light just came on Tuesday Brake Failure!!! Stop safely. ABS Check Engine, We're all going to die. No driveability issues. There is 3/16 of an inch on the inside and outside pad both front wheels and about 1/16 of an inch wear on both sides of the Massive rotor. By the way the rotor and pads look like they were machined. Nothing even beginning to look like irregular wear. Don't currently have a mic. the back pads are both over 1/4 inch thick and it would take a mic to determine wear on the rotor. I can buy OME parts off the net for all four wheels less than $599

It will cost me over $1000 to get my brakes done at the dealer. He wants $189 a rotor. Do I have a snowball's chance in Hades getting the lights to shut off if I change the brakes myself? Sensors: they did not jump out at me while I checking things. Where are they, or does the computer just tell you to redo the brakes at 45K? I'm afraid that putting the parts on my self and going to the deal for OBD will result in,"we can't help unless we do the work our selves with our parts." I planned on putting 200k miles on this thing , but if I have to go to this dealer I'm going to get it fixed and unload it.

Any comments apprediated.

Rob
  • jim314jim314 Member Posts: 491
    You haven't made it clear whether it's just that the brake light came on or whether the brakes are actually not stopping the car properly.

I don't think this could possibly be just a "maintenance due" indication based on mileage, but rather that the diagnostic system detected a fault.

As far as I know from what you have said this might not be pads/rotors at all, but might be one of the computers that operates the ABS/dynamic stability control. If you just need pads, why not go to an independent garage. They can probably reset the light. They will also mic the rotors and if they are thick enough then you might get them to just change the pads and not replace or turn the rotors.
    Car stops fine. Independent garages in Hawaii do not want to work on volvos. I've asked three. Parts are not available? I have to order them. One independent dealer said he could not read codes and was afraid he could not reset the light or determine the problem. Nice guy he works on my ford and VW when they need it and I don't have time. charged me just $20 and said go to the dealer.
    There is an independent garage in Dallas (Southwest Auto) which specializes in Volvo and you could possibly have them advise an independent garage in Hawaii, or advise you. I have used them and the nearby dealer, and they are both good. When our Volvos were still in warranty I have gone to the dealer, but I used Southwest for repairs on a 1996 850 (855) wagon. The rear hatch lift cartridges on my 2004 V70 went out in 2007 and I went to Southwest to buy them thinking they would supply longer lastingt and less expensive aftermarket cartridges, and they would give me tips on installation (cartridges are hidden behind plastic trim). When I got there to get my parts they told me that it was a little tricky to get that trim off without damage, but that my 2004 was still under warranty and directed me to the dealer who did it under warranty at no charge.

An owner of an independent garage in Dallas told me that he didn't work on any European cars because the mfgrs would not sell them parts at discounted prices as with American and Japanese manufacturers. Repair facilities expect to make a profit on the parts they install, not just on the labor.

It's frustrating to have a dealer charge so much, but you may have to use them. This could well be a computer failure, and they could well have special expertise in diagnosing this. This could just be an instance of the high cost of living in Hawaii, but it sure is beautiful. Years ago I lived on Molokai and did practice teaching at Molokai High School.

I assume that you have checked the level of the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir, and it's not that. Does the ABS work? Can you feel the pulsation of the pedal when you stop hard under conditions where the ABS would be active?
    Small auto shops warn costs could 'skyrocket'

JIM MACDONALD

The Canadian Press

September 1, 2008 at 2:27 PM EDT

EDMONTON — Canada's small auto shops are warning that the cost of getting newer vehicles serviced could “skyrocket” because they say some auto makers are restricting access to vital diagnostic software.

Without the software, smaller shops are forced to send some repairs to dealerships, and the volume of this dealers-only work will increase as more computer systems are added to new models.
    I broke down and took it to the dealer. Brake modulation computer is shot. Big money still under warrenty for 4K miles. Funny they didn't try to sell me a brake job this time. They tried to sell me a brake job at the last routine service and I knew the pads and rotors were ok. That is the main reason I didn't want to go back. Any idea why limiting access to diagnostics doesn't violate some kind of anti trust law?
    Where is the brake modulation computer? Could they give any reason why yours failed, e.g. temperature, vibration? Or is it just statistics, a distribution of lifetimes for a population of apparently identically made units?
    . Any idea why limiting access to diagnostics doesn't violate some kind of anti trust law?

For one thing, it's proprietary information.
    The only reference the law makes is that diagnostics relating to the Emissions system must be universal.
    Second, the manufacturers don't "limit" access. They charge for it.
    Most small shops either can't afford, or don't want to pay the access fees.
    Volvo's diagnostic system is web based. Your vehicles operating system can be downloaded and sent to Sweden for analysis.
    Finally, these cars are way to complex for your average independent garage to deal with anyway. Dealers are constantly sending their techs to school to learn about the latest auto electronics.
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    Am i mistaken or is there no compass in the rear view mirror of the XC90? Is there a compass anywhere in the vehicle? Somewhere on the instrument panel? Thanks!
    Compass is part of the Convenience pkg.
  • polar_bearpolar_bear Member Posts: 6
    Hello
    I have a 2005 XC90 AWD premium edition
    For some stange reason my sunroof will not open anymore.
    I have checked the manual and have been following it but still cannot get the sunroof to work.
    I climbed up the roof to check it out, nothing is blocking the sun roof.
    I am able to push the knob inside to allow the roof to tilt/opn/close, but the roof does not respond.
    I want any suggestions/tips before I take to it to the dealer for ridiculous charges.
    Aside from checking the fuse there isn't anything you can do.
    Take it to your dealer and hope they don't surf Edmunds and read what you think of them.
  • wzhao68wzhao68 Member Posts: 15
    Hi there,

Does anyone have experience getting a bike rack for XC90? I was told that Yakima and Thule's trunk mount bike rack won't fit on XC90, because the trunk door on XC90 is not strong enough. What are the alternatives? My XC90 is a leased one, not sure if adding a hitch is allowed.
    Could I get some pointers here?

Thanks in advance!

David
    You can add a hitch,but it probably have to remain on the car.
    thanks for the reply, i read some about putting on the hitch (hidden hitch), people also mentioned wiring and electrical system. Do I need to do the wiring even if my need is to just carry the bikes?
    thanks,

David
    Not if you are just putting a bike rack on. Unless the rack has lights.
  • dznjdznj Member Posts: 7
    Hidden hitch goes on in about 10-15 minutes. Then you can put a Thule rack into the hitch. No wiring is required. That's the setup I have on my '04 XC90.
  • interestedinterested Member Posts: 18
  • xc92xc92 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone bought and used the Shur Grip SUPER Z 6 Snow Chains on their XC90? According to Shur Grip the SUPER Z 6 Chain has a 1/4" tolerance for vehicle woth a tight Chain fit like the XC90. I checked the Front Tire Clearance with the Front Spring Assembly and there is around 3/4"-7/8" Clearance there. Looks like the Shur Grip would work. Please let me know...Thanks
    I love my XC90. It is a 2008 3.2. We picked up ours in Sweden. Volvo flew us over to the factory. We put 2000 miles on it driving through Sweden, Denmark, and Germany. I have not had One Issue with mine; it has 17,000 miles on it. The pleasant thing was that we camped in the XC90 over iin Sweden and Germany. I am 6" 5" tall and I fit fine with all the seats down except for the front seats.

The XC90 drives like a spoirts car but has the room for us big guys too. On the road I was able to get as much as 26 MPG. In the city driving, which eats up gas for anyone, the vehicle gets around 17.8-18 MPG.

Hummmm, to change something? I have thought really hard about this....Nothing..It is a beautiful Vehicle and we love ours!!
    Hi..I have checked into this and the BEST Snow Chain I have found is the Scc Super Z 6 Chain. The Volvo has the minimum Clearance between the tire and the Strut. This chain is made for no more than 1/4 inch Maximum Clearance.
  • christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    Regarding you inquiry ....I, too, have investigated the bike rack issue.
    My Volvo dealer , has 2 that can be placed on the roof.
    The more expensive one operates on a sort of crane system... the other (cheaper) works with pure muscle !
    I decided, rather, to disengage the front wheel which are quick release equipped. I lay a tarp in the bed of the XC90 and bungie the bike(s) using the anchoring hooks. It works just great.
    No worrys about the bike or bikes being stolen at at the trail, in the city or at night. Moreover, there is still room for 2 and appropriate gear " not including the kitchen sink", of course !. ;)
    Let me know if you find some good alternative....but this works fine for me and it is very cost effective !I :)
  • army03wifearmy03wife Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have a recommendation for an after market seller to buy a hitch from? Either on-line or brick & mortar. I live in Atlanta. I plan to tow a 4x6 u-haul trailer

Volvo XC90, 2009
    Hi there,
    I have a 2008 XC90 on a 48-month lease ending next February. I love XC90, and actually this is my second one, but since the buyout price going to high (so I learned last time), I'll not buy it from the bank. Since there are some dents and scratches on the car, I'd like to make sure I have most of stuff taken care of before the inspection. Could someone give me some good practice advice on this one? What I understand is that once they inspect the car, I won't have the chance to fix the spots that I'm charged for, and their repair price is always higher.
    Thanks,

David
  • 1235512355 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I was wondering if, in your opinion, the 3.2 engine provides enough power for the XC90 in an AWD configuration. I found mixed opinions in professional reviews.

Thanks!
  • bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    It depends on how you drive. I have the 2.5T which has slightly less hp and torque than the 3.2 and consider it very well suited to the XC90. I even tow a small travel trailer in the mountains at times. But I do not drag race and I anticipate when to pass. If you are used to power-on-demand in all situations, the V8 would be a better fit.
  • tmmxc90tmmxc90 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any issue with their XC 90 shutting down and losing power at highway speeds? Was traveling on the interstate Tuesday and it just shut down without warning. No warning lights at all. Would not start for a hour or so and by the time it arrived at the garage, it started right up. Any ideas?
  • dbcooper13dbcooper13 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at an 2007 XC90. CarFax said that it was never in an accident but showed, among other things:

axle shaft replaced after 65,000 miles;
    electrical system checked at 65,000 miles;
    front wheel bearings replaced at 70,000 miles;
    engine/powertrain computer/module reprogramed at 81,500 miles;
    battery charging system checked at 80,000 miles; and
    electrical system checked at 82,000 miles.

Are these red herrings? Do XC90's have issues with axle shafts or electrical systems? Is checking electrical system standard? I'm assuming that the driver was reporting electrical problems and the dealer couldn't identify/fix. Thanks.

Wouldn't bother you but can't afford to buy another lemon. :cry:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2012
    Different car, but I got a set of WR-G2s for my older Outback last January. It gets driven mostly in the winter here in the UP of Michigan, but I do the occasional longer road trip in it, so went with those instead of a pure winter tire. I plowed through a 2 foot plus high by 4 foot wide snow berm in a ski area parking lot soon after I got them and the little wagon plowed right through it (honest, I thought there was an aisle there :blush: ). Was impressed, especially since I got stuck at the same ski hill on the road shoulder on the worn tires the year before.

The "winter" tires will probably be even better if you do a lot of snow and ice driving.

Don't really have enough miles on them to say how they'll hold up over time.

I paid $528 for mine installed (205/70R15) at a regular tire store down near Detroit, so I hope the discount is better than what your link says. Mine were ~$114 each plus $42 install fees and taxes.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,214
    If they are your "only" tires, then I'd definitely get the WR-G2.. If you are swapping out for winter tires, each season, then go with the dedicated snows...

Those pure winter tires will wear out very fast in the other three seasons....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Volvo has confirmed that its next-generation XC90 will be launched at the end of 2014, the first of several new models based around a modular platform known as SPA or Scalable Product Architecture.

The automaker also confirmed that it is replacing its current family of engines with a new family of four-cylinder engines. The four-cylinder engines are expected to feature direct fuel injection and turbocharging."

Next Volvo XC90 Set for Late 2014 Debut
  • christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    edited August 2013
    Question: Is it necessary to replace the timing chain at 120,000 miles ? My service advisor at my Volvo dealer indicated the it is part of 2006 Volvo XC 90 regular maintenance. So is it just recommended or necessary ?
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    Do you have the V8? I don't think timing chains need replacing like the timing belts did. Look in your owners manual or Google it. Dealers like to sell things you don't need. Until they do the free 3 year maintenance then a lot of things they recommended are then not longer recommended.