Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    Okay Rob, I'll bite. As a previous owner of two Volvo 850 wagons (one turbo, one normally aspirated), I have been following the XC90 since the development of the Adventure Concept Car more than a year ago. I have spoken with the factory representatives, researched the XC90, and seen it at the Chicago Auto Show. I have also put down a deposit on an XC90 when they arrive next October (fully refundable if I decide not to buy). So why does there seem not to be so much enthusiasm for the vehicle on this website? I have a few theories.

First, the comparable vehicles most definitely are not the Envoy XL, Sequioa, or Yukon. Rather, they are the MDX (on the low end), X5, and ML. Volvo is marketing this as a luxury vehicle. Second, the price, at least on the initial vehicles, is going to be rather steep. The base model will start out in the middle-upper thirties (just above the MDX price point), but the price will quickly increase with options such as the T6 engine, nav system, entertainment system, night vision, etc. I have been told to expect selling prices between $45-$50k. Third, Volvos are still a bit of a cult vehicle. If you log onto vvspy or swedespeed, there is plenty of discussion about the XC90. Finally, there are just so many great vehicles similar to the XC90 already in the marketplace or coming out (Volvo is way late to the SUV party) that the XC90 is lost in the shuffle.

By the way, if you think that you want one of the first XC90s, you'd better act quickly. Volvo wants the first 6,000 pre-sold (i.e., deposits taken) by May, and those vehicles won't arrive on our shores until October, at the earliest. For anyone who doesn't have a deposit down, I think you can expect an MDX-like wait if you want to order one next Fall.

I think your Terps are the odds-on favorites. That game with Kansas is going to be a classic.
  • guy44guy44 Member Posts: 67
    I've got a depositi on a Honda Pilot, but when it comes in, if I don't like it, I was considering putting a deposit in on the XC90 which also looks like a nice SUV plus the great safety features. I'm a bit concerned about Volvo reliability. Are Volvos generally considered reliable and are they costly to maintain?
  • csvipersahcsvipersah Member Posts: 15
    From what I've seen, Volvo's aren't very reliable at all and they're very susceptable to electrical problems much like many other european cars. Consumer reports rates most of their cars' reliability as poor.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Is not cheap according to some owner reports I've read.

Unfortunately, unlike other expensive-to-maintain European luxury brands, Volvo does not offer free scheduled maintenance. They should follow in the footsteps of Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Audi and offer free scheduled maintenance.

The Japanese makes don't offer free scheduled maintenance, though arguably their maintenance costs are lower, at least in the U.S. (however, I hear some Lexus dealers are charging a pretty penny).
  • pexplpexpl Member Posts: 18
    The aviator seem to be a very good car, i think both the aviator and the volvo xc 90 has similar safety features. Partly because Ford owned em, other than that i don't think volvo is worth the big bucks, they should sell the xc 90 much cheaper than the ML-320.

NO this SUV is not going to push their sells that MUCH.

From what i understand not much people is interested in the car, mainly for the price.
    However, from the last few messages it mentioned reliability problem, from what i understand my friends that drive Volvo have no probelm with their cars, so reliability should not be a factor.
    Personally i would much rather get a MDX, X5, M and the aviator. All are good in safety, too!
  • rob222rob222 Member Posts: 49
    Who makes it?
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ...is a Lincolnized Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer but it will have a 4.6L V-8 with 300hp. :)
  • counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    Having owned two Volvo 850 wagons, I can tell you that, like most makes and models, Volvo reliability has to be evaluated on a car-by-car basis. I first owned a 1994 850 turbo wagon that had no end of problems, most of which were minor, but it was annoying to bring the car into the dealership every other month to address them. I traded in the car at about 60,000 miles for a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited that has run flawlessly. My second 850 wagon, which I still own, has 96,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I have the oil changed and that's about it. I plan on driving that vehicle into the ground. Note, though, that the 850 was assembled in Belgium, and I am not sure where the XC90 will be built. One other issue that has been widely discussed on Volvo enthusiast web sites, such as swedespeed.com and vvspy.com, is the issue of reliability among the first model year of new Volvos. For example, the S80 had many problems in its first model year, but Volvo has worked out the bugs and the S80 is now a superb automobile. In the XC90, most of the mechanicals are going to be derived from systems that Volvo already employs and has tweaked, so I would expect its initial quality to surpass that of the S80 when it bowed. I do think that it generally is good advice not to buy a vehicle in its first model year. I guess it's just a question of whether you need to have the latest, greatest thing or whether you can wait a year or two.
  • losthat1losthat1 Member Posts: 93
    I have owned five Volvos. Relibility has been from fantastic to horrible. Now I need to consider a vehicle that can tow at least 5,000lbs. I do not want a large SUV such as the Lincoln Navigator. Has anyone heard what the new XC90 will be capable of towing? Or does anyone have the ability to calculate this with the stats available? Thanks.
  • mark189mark189 Member Posts: 107
    I have heard that you can buy in Europe and save money. Does anybody have any information about this option?
    Sounds like a great program. Free airfare for two to Europe, and free shipping of the car back here. Volvo takes care of all customs clearing. You can also drive it while in Europe and then have it shipped back. They also claim substantial savings, but that wasn't spelled out. However, the XC90 is not listed yet, so I'm not sure it will be part of the program.

A person I know plans to buy it through this program for $25,000 (base model) vs. $35,000 here. I need to talk to her and find out more info. Definitely worth checking into anyway.

http://new.volvocars.com/overseas/

• luonghluongh Member Posts: 12
    I am very interesting in the program if I can get such a good deal like you said. However, the web site you reference also show some saving on EU MSRP ($33,000) over US MSRP ($35,000 on XC). I wonder if we can even negotiate on the EU MSRP? Would you please post what you find out from your friend. Thanks a mil.
    Seems my wife got the story wrong. She checked back with her friend, who says that it's a 10% discount. I confirmed with Volvo. They say pricing isn't set, but the discount is probably 10% to 15% vs. buying here.

Still a good deal if you're going to buy one anyway, but not enough to clinch the deal otherwise.
    I'd love to see a way to get a really good deal. But, as we all know, there's no such thing as a free lunch, and if something looks too good to be true ...

I also think that with European delivery there could be some other costs that come into play. Usually it works out well if you already have a vacation or business trip planned there.

Plus some folks find the experience of touring the factory and driving their vehicle in Europe a thrill. This is most especially true of some of the German programs, where some tours are excellent and you drive on the autobahn.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Do you lose those savings when you pay for transportation costs of the vehicle over the pond or is that included in the sales price? Do you have to pay the typical transportation fee that we have to here in the states? I would think that touring the plant would be a thrill.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    Shipping cost from overseas to US. is included (I believe all the way to your local dealer). The only additional fee I am aware of is if you don't take deliver at the factory in Germany. Even then, I was told it was only a couple of hundred dollars for shipping within Germany.

You also have the use of the car while overseas, so that's a free rental. Currently they're offering 2 free plane tickets as well.

The web site has an 800 number and details.
    I should add that I'm not sure there aren't any hidden costs, only that I haven't found any yet. And, it always pays to be skeptical when making a purchase.
    My local Volvo dealer has a 10 minute video tape filmed at the testing grounds in Arizona. This is the Don Beyer dealership in Falls Church, VA. Yet another oppourtunity to see the car close up.

I have heard from two sources that the pricing will be released in late June. Don't be surprised to see a fully maxed version for close to $50k (3seat, 265hp turbo, nav. system, night vision, rear dvd.) I hoped it would be under $45k. The dealer said I should compare it the BMW X5.

Rob from Sterling, Va

Anyone see the XC on display at the Volvo Great Race display in Baltimore harborplace?
    I thought that this was too much for a fully loaded vehicle too until I looked at how much the competition is going for. A fully loaded Acura MDX is a little less than $42k and a fully loaded Mercedes Benz ML320 and BMW X5 go for around $52k. I agree that the XC90 would feel more comfortable in the $45k range but when the Jones' have more, you have to keep up with them.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    I think the XC90 will be a great vehicle, albeit an expensive one. I also want to see how quality/reliability pan out. I wouldn't go near a first-year version. Not to mention that dealers won't be discounting them initially.

A fully loaded (with nav) MDX is still under $40k at MSRP, which one can get with a wait. Though some folks add accessories.

An ML320, fully-loaded, can be bought for about $41k-$43k (discounts are easy). For $50k you can get a loaded ML500 with a very strong V8.

Also, MB includes 4 years of "scheduled maintenance" (subject to limitations), and BMW 3 years. Volvo service and parts is about as expensive as MB/BMW service, if not more so, but Volvo doesn't include scheduled maintenance with its vehicles. So they can be expensive, indeed.

Still love the look of the vehicle.
    Doesn't seem like you can really deal down close to invoice on Volvos, like I've done with my other car purchases over the years. If I pay more than $250 over invoice, I consider it a bad deal for me.

For comparsion purposes, the built-in profit on a loaded XC70 Wagon is a whopping 15.5%-$5,850 (8-11% is common less trendy cars.) The TMV on the XC70 includes 10.5%-$3,941 profit. Even if you buy it in Europe, not including other expenses beyond R/T airfare and one night in Sweden, the profit is 6.3%-$2,370.

I guess this must be the world of the MB,BMW and other premium Euro cars.

Anyone ever get a near invoice deal on a Volvo?

Rob D, counting pennies in Sterling, Va
    "I guess this must be the world of the MB,BMW and other premium Euro cars."

Not necessarily! You can get an ML320 in many parts of the country for $500 above invoice, before MB applies late-model year incentives (in which case you can go below). ML500's aren't discounted as strongly, but are definitely being discounted. The vehicle is now in its 5th model year so the newness factor has worn off and the supply is relatively good.

And the dealer profit on the ML is nowhere near that of Volvo or Lexus. I believe it's less than 10%.

Newer vehicles in high demand tend to command prices close to MSRP. Witness the X5 and MDX (certainly not a European vehicle).

As I mentioned earlier, the German luxury marques at least include some form of scheduled maintenance for free (with some limitations). That helps offset their typically higher maintenance costs.
    Hi, I plan to buy the XC90 with the oversea program. I never own a volvo before so I decide to look for help and I found this board is very helpful. Would someone please help me answer a few simple question.
    1. Does the keyless entry remote integrate into the key like those BMW and Lexus key?
    2. Does Volvo offer memory seat, mirror, temperature and radio setting?
    3. Is it true that it is hard to work on volvo engine and general mechanics do not like to work on them?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciate.

Thanks a mil.
  • ywilsonywilson Member Posts: 135
    I would wait for a year or 2 before I jump on the band wagon. First year auto products are known for troublesome sendoffs. Volvo reliability speaks for itself also. I know they will be using upgraded components but I would still be careful. Make sure you get those full warranties.
    From this web site, it look like there is a rear moonroof right on top of the third row seat. Does anyone know this is a fix moonroof or it can be open.
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Hi Luong,

No, it's not a moon roof, although it looks like one in the pictures. As a matter of fact, it's a (plastic) panel covering the phone and GPS antennas. On light-colored vehicles, it does look a little bit strange IMHO.

Kind regards,
    Birger
    Thanks for your response, you sound very knowledgeable about XC90. Mind if I ask a couple more question?
    1. When will the pricing for XC90 be out?
    2. Is the silver crossbar, silver step bar, front& rear silver skid plate and side body cladding going to be option? approximately how much?
    3. How is the weather in Europe in March? I am planning on the oversea delivery in March 2003.

Thanks again
    Luong
  • competitor2competitor2 Member Posts: 6
    I was able to see an XC90 up close. Volvo briefly had a vehicle in their headquarters building in Southern California for a few days. They let the local dealers send in hot prospects for a viewing. We weren't allowed to get in the vehicle as it was a prototype, but we were allowed to look in it. Some Volvo executives were on hand to answer questions. Here are my observations:

The vehicle was a black 7-seater with 18" wheels. It was absolutely stunning. There is no question that this is an SUV and not a wagon. The pictures that I had seen on the web don't give the proper sense of scale.

* Drop Dead Gorgeous
    * Short front and rear overhangs
    * Available in 5 or 7 seat configurations

Exterior XC90 ML X5 MDX RX300
    Length (in.) 189.0 182.6 183.7 188.5 180.1
    Width (in.) 74.4 72.4 73.7 77.0 71.5
    Height (in.) 68.5 71.7 67.5 68.7 65.7
    Wheelbase(in.)112.5 111.0 111.0 106.3 103.1

Towing(max) 5000 5000 5000 4500 3500

Car Based Technology - The chassis in the XC90 is designed to give the vehicle the same ride and roadholding as a premium european passenger car.

New and Recalibrated Engines
    - 5 Cylinder 2.5 Liter Turbo -- 208 HP and 236 ft. lbs of torque
    - 6 Cylinder 2.9 Liter Twin Turbo -- 268 Hp and 280 ft. lbs of torque

Other Information
    * Interior had a tasteful amount of wood
    * Full Flat Cargo Floor (including front passenger seat)
    * Each seat in 2nd Row (3 seats) moves forward and backward independent of one another
    * 3rd Row seat accessible from both sides of 2nd Row
    * Sliding Center Seat in 2nd Row moves forward towards rear of front center console to keep small children in close contact with front seat passengers
    * 70/30 split tailgate provides for easy opening, tailgating and roof loading
    * 8.6" of Ground Clearance

As you would expect from Volvo, the safety systems were overwhelming. Special attention was paid to addressing the issue of rollover.
    * Roll Stability Control - This is apparently an industry first that senses pending rollover by calculating speed and angle. If vehicle is in imminent danger, the system automatically modulates engine and braking functions to induce corrective actions
    * Inflatable Curtains in all 3 Rows -- no one else has this
    * Parts of the roof reinforced with Boron Steel - Boron Steel is 4 to 5 times stronger than normal steel
    * Seat Belt Pretensioners in all seats to hold passengers securely in place in the event of an accident -- no one has this feature in all seating positions
    * 3rd Row Seat Safety - designed to withstand a high speed rear end impact. Seats are located over the rear axle with sufficient distance from back of seat to rear of vehicle.
    * Low Center of Gravity - Only 3.5" higher than that of V70XC Cross Country while providing a seating position that is 6.5" higher
    * Compatibility with other Vehicles and Pedestrians - New front structure to protect passengers in other vehicles in the event of an
    accident. Prevents XC90 from "riding up" over the front of a smaller vehicle.

I believe that there is strong early demand for this vehicle based on what I was told as well as what was being said by some of the other prospective customers that were looking at the vehicle. There is no doubt that this is a winner.

No word on final pricing. The only information that was being given out was that the press had been told that a well equipped XC90 is expected to be under $40,000. I'm sold, obviously this will vary based on engine and seating combination.
  • sean48sean48 Member Posts: 37
    Did they give you any idea of what "well equipped" would mean? Specifically, is it likely that an XC90 with a DVD-navigation system will be under $40,000? Or did you get the feeling that the basic model will be $39,995? Thanks.
    from what I've read on the VolvoSpy site and conversations with dealers, the fully loaded XC with the navigation, 3rd seat, night vision (some talk that this is not ready yet due to a problem w/supplier) and the larger engine is going to be in the upper $40's. Ouch!

I have kinda given up and started looking at totally loaded Yukon SLTs. Negoiate a $44k sticker down $37k including $2k rebate.
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    ...right up to the "fully loaded, $40K" part. Because manufacturers charge a premium for SUVs (read "high profit margin") and the XC90 will likely be the "hot car" I suspect loaded will be mid to upper 50s. 40K will be "base" (stripped bare).
    I took well-equipped under $40,000 to mean an XC90 with AWD, Leather, Sunroof, CD and all of the safety features included. I would expect a T6 (larger engine) 7-Seater to sell for more. I also assume that Navigation system will be a stand-alone option which typically runs from $1500 to $2000 depending on manufacturer (Lexus, Mercedes, BMW).
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    This doesn't make any sense, please explain. Are there different tow packages? Are there different ratings if the trailer has brakes? Are there different ratings for each engine? What's the deal here?

Bob
  • rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    Mid to upper 50´s? Please. The turbo 5-cyl will compete with the 6-cyl ML, the turbo 6 with the 8-cyl ML. Stickers for 5 probably 34-41, for 6 maybe 39-45?
    A loaded ML500 sells for about $50k, so perhaps the loaded turbo 6 will go for somewhere close to it. A loaded ML320 sells for roughly $43k, and I'll put in my bet that a loaded turbo-5 will in that general range.

One way to project the cost of a turbo-5 is to look at how much the XC90 wagons cost. Loaded up, they MSRP for around $40k. So I find it doubtful that a well-equipped one will be found for under $40k. We'll see.

Unfortunately, for the price, the ML and the X5 include some degree of regular scheduled maintenance (X5 for three years). The Volvo won't, and that maintenance won't be cheap.
  • tinlittletinlittle Member Posts: 21
    That is my guess of course.

Keep in mind, both ML and X5 are made in US. Tariff for import SUVs(trucks) is 25% compared to about 5% for import cars. When compare to the cost to ML, X5 or even XC70, you will have to figure $7-8k more tariff that goes to Uncle Sam.

Ever wondered why Land Cruiser is ridiculously more expensive than Sequoia. Or why MB and BMW produce ML and X5 in the states and put ruined their quality reputation in the Union workers' hands? Or why people who disdain Cadilac would even consider a GMC Yukon?

If someone is worried about pricing for XC90, he is better off buying American (ML, X5, Sequoia) or North American(MDX).
    For some reason I couldn't space the chart correctly. It was supposed to show the maximum towing capacity for XC90 and its main luxury import competition:

Volvo XC90: 5000 lbs
    Mercedes ML: 5000 lbs
    BMW X5: 5000 lbs
    Acura MDX: 4500 lbs
    Lexus RX300: 3500 lbs

The information comes from the various manufacturers web sites. I assume that several factors come into play ... engine, transmission, frame strength, etc.. It does not surprise me that the Volvo, BMW and Mercedes have the highest numbers. The Volvo and BMW are pulled off luxury car platforms. The Mercedes is off a truck platform. The Acura comes from a Honda Odyssey Minivan platform which comes from an Accord. The Lexus comes off a Camry platform. It stands to reason that the Acura and Lexus would have lower numbers.
  • dmz616dmz616 Member Posts: 17
    Will the XC 90 have a power passenger seat as an option/package? Specs on Volvo we site only mentions a drivers power seat. We are looking at an MDX Touring but may wait til 2003 are out. MDX Touring package comes with one.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    I just got a call from a dealer regarding this program. There is info on the Volvocars website as well.

He indicated: 50 cars are reserved, all have the engine upgrade and 3rd row seats. I'd add I bet they have all the other options as well. They sell for around a 10% discount, and 2 free round-trip tickets to Sweden (I thought it was Germany so I'd double check) and free shipping of car back to your local dealer. Over 1/2 are already reserved.

Interesting deal if you plan to buy the vehicle and would like a trip to Europe.
  • retiredgilbertretiredgilbert Member Posts: 5
    I have spoken with my dealership about the arrival (U.S.) of the XC90. It appears that we hear in the South can expect an allocated amount of vehicles in November (maybe 8 to 10 vehicles). A demo model will arrive in October (not for sale). The allocated vehicles will be loaded (not sure about night vision) for around 46 to 48k. That will be the dealerships price, so figure the price to actually be in the low 40's, maybe even high 30's. The demand seems to indicate that the price will be very firm at 46 to 48k. We did discuss that a "stripped down" model (light turbo, less options) would be avialable in Spring 2003. That model would also be 2WD instead of the all-wheel ones coming out now. I am going into the dealership in 2 weeks to view videos comparing the XC90 to BMW and Mercedes. Naturally, I expect a slant towards Volvo, but I'll post any worthy info.
  • benzrulesbenzrules Member Posts: 13
    After having owned an S80 T6 for a little over 2 years (traded it in on an E430 a little over a year ago) I can tell you that this SUV will be at the top of my list when I go shopping late in the year. The S80 T6 I had was one of the best all around cars I have driven in quite some time. While I love my Benzs that I own, the S80 definitely stacked up quite nicely (only traded due to an outstanding offer on both my trade in and the E430 I purchased). If I am reading it correctly, the engine in the XC 90 will be the current engine in the S80 T6 - WOW - by far the best engine in a car I have ever driven. Easily outguns my Mercedes. And if the stereo system is the same or better, watch out - the S80 T6 system was rated best two years in a row over Lexus and S class Mercedes. I did not have any of the problems with my Volvo that others have had so I could not comment on this. Any ideas as to how many will be for sale in the first year in the US?
    Looking forward to it's arrival.
  • kojkoj Member Posts: 1
    I was in a dealership on Friday and the sales people indicated that they would have 8 or 9 in their dealership for sale the first of November. They're taking $1000 deposits for those NOW! They indicated the same as many here that the first models would be pretty loaded, and would be $38k - $48k. I didn't get much more info than that, as I was just picking up my car after a service an was in a hurry. They just happened to be outside smoking... :0 I have another 1-1/2 years on my current lease, so maybe the demand will have diminished a bit by the time I'm ready to buy.
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Hi again, Luong

Sorry about the long delay in answering you - I don't check into this section of Townhall that often.

Thanks for the compliments, but I'm far from being an XC90 expert. I was quite interested in it at the beginning of the year, and even had the opportunity to see it "live" (and sit in it). However, because pricing and rebate conditions were quite vague, I didn't bite then - and have since decided to keep (and upgrade) my current SUV, a Mercedes ML 270 CDI, for quite some time more. The local Volvo dealer is my neighbor, so this of course bugs him a little ;-)

I have no clue to the US pricing - check out one of the Volvo sites like www.swedespeed.com for more information on that.

As far as regards the silver crossbar, silver step bar, front& rear silver skid plate and side body cladding - I think it's among the options. Again, prices may be very different on your side of the ocean.

The weather in Europe in March? Well, it's a good time to visit Sweden if you want to get some practice in driving in severe winter conditions! But if it's long sunny days you're looking after, it's four months early.

I liked - and still like - the looks and technical solutions of the XC90, and I would prefer it over many another crossover vehicle/SUV. Rear seat room, however, seemed less generous than in my Mercedes.

Good luck with your purchase!

Kind regards,
    Birger
  • retiredgilbertretiredgilbert Member Posts: 5
    I got word from Volvo that pricing will be on the official web site sometime in October. This doesn't help right now, but it's something. Also, I'm going to look into the overseas program offered next week with my dealer. It seems, as previously mentioned by others, that only the T6 version, with 7 passenger seating, will be available through the overseas program right now. Pickup of these vehicles is not until November. If it is as good as it seems, why not take a trip to Sweden on Volvo. Then again, if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.
  • stanonpchstanonpch Member Posts: 2
    Goodbye 42.2" of front legroom. Hello 41.0"
    Now we know how they got that 3rd seat in.
    This info. supposedly from the production team .
  • cruiz7197cruiz7197 Member Posts: 1
    I have some more info on my dealers offer (I live in Germany and qualify foe diplomat sales--also available to US military stationed overseas.) I have more specs for military and diplomat overseas sales from the dealers here. The sticker for military sales for each (ALL models of the V90XC) is from $30k to $33k base. Options run my "loaded" model up to about $35, but there's probably going to be no haggling space as it's tax-free, and I qualified for the 2.9% special, 75th Anniversary rate...what specs do you want to know?...again, I've only got the military overseas specs from my dealer here in Germany. The prices may or may not be close to what you can expect.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Are the programs you talk of available to military retired?
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Does anyone have a feel for what the tire size will be on the US spec. XC90. This is with a view to putting Nokian WS tires on.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Volvo strives to show its XC90 “SUV” is as safe as its station wagons and sedans."

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards