Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• teamroper1teamroper1 Member Posts: 3
    Got a 1999, 2500 diesel 4x2. Does anyone know where the oil sending unit is located? Oil pressure is all over the place. One day great, 5 minutes later rock bottom.
    Thanks, teamroper1
  • msfrankie2msfrankie2 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, mine is a diesel also. I had a reply from kilster, who said I might find it on the Driver Side of the block just under the engine controller, just in front of the motor mounts. Or, the other place, is on the same side just under the cylinder head behind the fuel filter housing area. However, I looked in both of these places and still have not located the oil sending unit. I hope you have better luck than I have had so far. If you locate it on your truck, please let me know where it was.
    Good Luck !!!!!
    Frankie :confuse:
  • feehanfeehan Member Posts: 2
    Still no luck with Dodge. The dealership got a letter this morning from the warranty division of Chrysler. They emailed it to me as a photo so I'm not sure how to attach it. If you want a copy please email me and I'll send it to you. I just thought that it is something all 2003 and newer Dodge Diesel owners should know. We are still fighting after 3 weeks for them to cover the warrany for the engine and now they send out a letter to dealership (not owners) stating that any other filters besides Mopar will void your warranty. This is outrageous and I am sending a copy of the letter to Mr Lube, Minute Lube and all oil change shops so they know not to touch Dodge Diesel trucks! Should be an interesting law suit between the oil change shops and Dodge for limiting competition!

k_hookey@hotmail.com
  • cudaguycudaguy Member Posts: 7
    Hey I just talk to a Dodge Tech about another issue. According to Him if the Battery isnt Good it will cause all kinds of Freaky conditions. Now if Only I could fix Mine :)
    They Legally have no right to refuse if your used a Filter that Meets their requirements. Or you could try fighting the Filter maker. A friend of mine did and fram replaced his engine. Just a thought
    Ok I went outside to start my truck and the Battery was dead Jumped it and it wouldnt Idle at First, Idles now. Now The headlights stay on when its running,Brake lights dont work except the third one?, Hazards Flash inside (Instrument panel) but Not Outside nor do the Turn signals work as well??? Called The Dealer the Service Manager said Change the Battery. Did that still the same. We did Have 2 days of rain but nothing seams wet??
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    A reminder...

As mentioned in the post box as well as the Rules of the Rpoad (link in left margin), we highly discourage the use of email addresses in your messages. As karen mentioned above, the forum is a much more informative tool when info is shared here, and posting your email address puts you at risk for malicious use by others.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • captainrusscaptainruss Member Posts: 5
    Nope no vibration in the steering wheel. But there is a very slight and I mean very slight amount of play in the front hub joints.
    Hey Did it fix the problem? I'm having the opposite issue My Lights stay on when the truck is on and No brake lights or hazards either
  • 2002ram15002002ram1500 Member Posts: 6
    After $150.00 I still have no parking lights, but I have a new FCU and the audio shop that put in my remote start insures me that everything is OK.
    It's going to the dealership on Monday morning, I did get a message from another board that it could be the wiring harness itself...........soon as I find out something I will post the results.
  • teamroper1teamroper1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks --gotta change it so guess I will hunt for it or call dealer.
  • fp9ramfp9ram Member Posts: 1
    how do you change rotors. thanks for any help.
  • asalasasalas Member Posts: 5
    Hello... for those who were trying to help me before with my dodge issue... my truck has not shut off since that last incedent, but i think it's because i've kept my tank half full. but it's still doing the part where every morning or any time i start my truck up after bein off for a while it studders it feels as if its going to flood. so i turn the ignition once stop and then try it again and it turns on w/o a studder. i took it to goodyear had them run some test according to them all my sensors are fine. they want to flush my fuel tank or do something to clean it up... advice anyone... frustrated more than anything now... :mad:
  • superrebsuperreb Member Posts: 1
    Hi yall,

My 97 Dodge Ram 1500 318 4x4 just went to hell in a handbasket. Friday while driving on the highway (running about 60) it started to skip then the CE light came on. the skipping stopped. When I would try to accelerate it would start to bogg down and I barely got home. Each time I had any kind of hill to climb it would almost stop.

when I got home I checked the CE code and it told me it was a speed control vacuum or vent solenoid circuit. If this is what it is, where can I find this?

HELP!!

Thanks,

SuperReb
  • jwkoba81jwkoba81 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problems with ticking noise. It was an exhaust leak that nobody could hear at the dealership except me. While the service manager, technician, and customer service rep were all standing by my truck all agreeing that there was no noise the owner drove up and asked what was going on. I told everyone not to say anything. I asked the owner of the dealership if he could HEAR anything.. He said he could hear an exhaust leak! LOL Then of course everyone elses hearing got better.
    They replaced my exhaust manifold. end of the silent exhaust noise.
  • jwalitynskijwalitynski Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2002 1500 Ram Quad Cab. I had a similar vibration that I only noticed at highway speeds. It progressively got worse and it felt like the vibration was coming mostly from the driver side front wheel. When I brought it to the dealer they told me it was the wheel bearing. Despite the cost of labor and parts, I had it replaced and have not felt the vibration since. Not sure if you already had this looked at, but it may be worth a shot. Good Luck.

Jon
  • jonjon2jonjon2 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2003 Ram 1500 truck a year old and with my luck there was no owners manual. I've lost my both of my rear break lights but not the third break light above the cab. I've changed both bulbs and looked for a possible burntout fuse in the fuse box under the hood but found nothing that was labeled "brake lights". There should be another fuse box in the cab or maybe another obvious place? Could it be something other then a fuse?
  • ramitdamnitramitdamnit Member Posts: 4
    I notice that something is screeching and at first I thought it my be a loose belt so I took it to an automotive shop and they took a look and said it looked like the fan cluch was very loose and causing the niose but now I notice that my engine seems to rev up when I'm switching gears and it does this for a few miles and stops. its like when I first turn the truck on and drive a few miles its like I'm pressing the gas all the way in and after a while it finally subsides. my truck has about 40k miles on it. any thoughts?
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Is this a manual transmission? If so, it sounds like a slipping clutch.
    yeah its a manual. slipping cluch eh? i hope my extended warranty covers that if thats the problem.
    It's possible but unlikely. The clutch is usually regarded as a 'wear' item, like brake pads, wiper blades, and tires.
  • skkippbooskkippboo Member Posts: 1
    I didn't read your earlier problem, but I have driven a 1994 Ram 1500 as well as a 1996 Ram Van, both with the 3.0 V6. Both vehicles had a problem where, at about 1/4 tank of gas, they would start to bog down and lose power. Well, it's the in-tank fuel pump/filter/gauge float assembly. It's expensive to replace, but will fix that particular problem of low fuel level bogging.
  • 96dodge96dodge Member Posts: 12
    i have a 96 ram 4x4 and ive just got it back from the transmission shop today 1563.93 you may want to think about it a little more
  • 96dodge96dodge Member Posts: 12
    ive just got my 96 1500 back from the shop they rebuilt the transmission, the guy told me that dodge cant take hauling to much weight , i haul alot of weight all the time , he put a transmission cooler on mine its pretty cheap to do i wish i would have known that before i gave him, $ 1563.93 this morning
  • johnrudjohnrud Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Dodge Ram Diesel 4x4 shortbox automatic. Have gone through 2 sets of rotors and 4 sets of front disc pads in 1 1/2 years. What's the fix? I've heard it's a common problem.
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    Wow, that's some serious braking you're doing. I've got an '03 2500 Diesel 4x4 shortbox 6-speed, and I just replaced the front pads the first time with over 3 years and 60,000 miles on it - the rears are like new. The diesel engine is very heavy, and thus uses up front brakes more quickly, but still... are you towing or hauling heavy weights? I'm guessing you've got something wrong with a proportioning valve that sets brake power between the front and rear brakes.
    ALright! The problem is gone! It was the fan clutch. Took it to the dealer and extended warranty covered it! it was causing the screeching and the revving of the engine between shifts!
  • 2002ram15002002ram1500 Member Posts: 6
    Well $311.00 later I have the cheapest fix the dealership could offer me, they ran a wire from the PCU to the dimmer control to make my parking lights turn on. I now have varible output parking lights, if I turn the dash lights down, the parking lights in turn turn down.
    They said I need a new instrument cluster and that would be $460.00 plus about $300.00 to install it. I see one on EBay for $179.00 (or something) but it's for an 04, I wonder if it would work.
    While I can understand the screeching, I don't see the relationship between a faulty fan clutch and the rise in engine rpm when shifting gears.

However, I'm glad to hear you got a good result! :)
  • jack39jack39 Member Posts: 2
    i have the same thing happen to me still trouble shooting the problem some guys here told me it might be catalytic converter or fuel filter if u know the fix let me know thanks
  • mullis1mullis1 Member Posts: 15
    Sorry if this question has already been asked but I didn't take time to read all 130 some Q&A's so far. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 318 and with the cruise set going down the interstate it will downshift with the slightest little hill in the road and even when the wind blows hard! I've had it at the dealership several times and they say the tranny is fine, the cruise is fine, and the throttle cable is fine. Any comments, suggestions, or criticism is welcome.
  • william12william12 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 ram 1500 4x4 and for no reason the head lights will blink off sometimes it is once other time it can blink 3 or 4 times.I have tired to make it do it but i cant the truck can be sitten still and do it or while driving down the road any suggestions on what it may be?
  • sirramitalotsirramitalot Member Posts: 2
    Check wiring harness where trailer lights are connected. Have had problem with bad wire connection there
  • paparon798paparon798 Member Posts: 1
    my dodge truck which i am second owner of was a landscapers truck which was well taken care of but has had trans rebuilt by dealer twice once at 35,000 mile before basic warranty ran out and again at 50,000 just before his extended warranty ran out owner had friend at dealer who did the repairs more maintance then a requirement thing i was told but now i have 98,000 miles on it and last year i had a triple loc convertor installed because i tow a 35 foot fifth wheel camper and a 28 foot enclosed car trailer and was told it would be of benifit to install for a more positive lock up when towing it was working well and was pleased but lately at around 45mph to 70mph on cruise or light throttle it will stat up shifting and down shifting tack fluctuates slightly i was wondering if this might be an internal problem or an electrical problem i can get it to stop if i apply light brake pedal pressure dont know if i need a trans repair shop or a electrical repair shop have had two tps replaced at dealer in last 3 years anyone else had a problem like this? i love the truck and fuel milage is great
  • jack39jack39 Member Posts: 2
    i need help i have a 97 dodge 1500 4x4 it has lost power it idles fine when you give it gas all it whants to do is bog down and it has a 318 in it its only geting 12.5 mpg i dont even know where to start some help please thanks
    I'm not sure either! It runs like new but I too am still somewhat puzzled on that! The explanation was something to the fact that the fan was consuming energy?
  • chinny1chinny1 Member Posts: 1
    I leased a new Ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi in October 2005. It started making huge lifter noise after about 2000 km (1200 miles). The truck now has about 4500 km (3000 miles) on it now. The dealer has identidied the problem as lifter or lifter spring trouble and is going to go good for it all. You need to pressure your dealer. I hope this helps.
  • dahuberdahuber Member Posts: 53
    Could be normal. How fast are we talking about? My 2001 1500 with the 5.9l and 3.92 gears will shift like this depending on the speed and hill. If you have the 3.55 rear end, that might have something to do with the shifting.
  • dalejdalej Member Posts: 3
    While driving at night my dash lights, clearance lights, and tail lights on my '97 3500 Dodge Dually went out. They came back on but for a moment all I had was headlights. The problem has recurred several times and once while parked. Besides the light switch, what else is common to all these.

dalej
  • raymendozaraymendoza Member Posts: 1
    I loaned my truck and trailer to my son. Well he put the tranny into park before he was at a dead stop. Now my tranny has a problem shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I replaced the shift solenoid and transducer . But problem still continues
  • keepitcowboykeepitcowboy Member Posts: 3
    The 40 amp "Ignition Run" fuse in the power control box, of my 1997 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9 litre turbo Cummins, burns out when I turn the ignition to "start." 'Took out the ignition switch, tested it, and found it to be fine. 'Purchased a new ignition switch and installed it, just to make sure, and the same thing happened. Wiring harness appears to be in good shape. Has anyone got any idea of what may be causing the problem. The local Dodge dealer hasn't been of much help.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    We need a new company truck. Is the 05 almost identical to the 06? The boxed frame is the same?

Incidentally, when I look at Edmunds TCO (true cost to own) the Dodge seems relatively more expensive. This I attributed to a higher depreciation. When I review the Edmunds True Market Value (TMV) a used Dodge Ram 1500 is way lower than a Ford or Chev. Is this still true or is Dodge catching up?
  • dianne2dianne2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a obd and now how do I find out what the codes are? It's a 1997 Doge 1500. Help Please thanks. Dianne
  • lbjkjlbjkj Member Posts: 7
    I own a 2003 5.9 Quad cab. First What is up with all the electrical problems. I assume that the speed sensor on the rear diff. is bad because my abs and e-brake light are on and off at random. and my passenger side tail light is also on and off at random. My abs and parking brake light first came on while i was towing my travel trailer. The lights went out for a short period of time and came back on. If i put a ohmmeter on that sensor what should it read? I unplugged it once and ohm ed it out, and got OL but i'm not sure my meter will read as small as i need it to. With the tail light i just replace the bulb ever six months. -FYI- When i first bought the truck the amp in the stereo burned out.
  • mullis1mullis1 Member Posts: 15
    The speed doesn't really matter, it's most noticable going down the interstate with the cruise set, most of the time the cruise is set at 70. The local Dodge dealer flashed the transmission and put in new shift settings, no help, tightened the throttle cable, no help, and changed the tranny fluids, no help. Someone I work with suggested that the catalytic converter might be clogged and that is preventing exhaust gas to escape properly and causing power loss?? Any thoughts on that? If the air conditioning is on during the summer and I have three people in the truck it's really bad! One night is was so bad that the truck ran at lower rpms with the OD off just becuase the wind was blowing hard.
  • rhmn_irhmn_i Member Posts: 1
    my 2003 dodge 1500 is giving me a message on the dash saying lamps out but non of my lights are out, what else could this be?it keeps chiming continually , can i turn it off?and also is it better to drive with the overdrive on or off?
  • tallertomtallertom Member Posts: 5
    When my 1997 started doing this I removed the catalytic converter and that fixed it. It was plugged enough that it was killing my power by not letting the exhaust escape.
  • jscrubbsjscrubbs Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Ram 150, 4.7 liter and the mileage is 44,000 miles. When I went to start it the other day it tried to turn over but would not. I pumped the gas and turned the key, and it started as long as you continued to press on the accelerator. However if you let of of the accelerator it dies. Any suggestions?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The 06 1500 has a completely new frame... definitely not the same.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • william12william12 Member Posts: 2
    It ended up being the contacts inside the head light switch I replaced the switch and the problem went away.
This discussion has been closed.