Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• space1space1 Member Posts: 1
    Where did you purchase your HUD? What brand is it, how much did it cost? I have a 2000 Altima and I am look for one. K2motor.com has a unit for $145 and Defi has one for $165.
  • latinkidlatinkid Member Posts: 1
    I installed my audio and it works. The yellow cable is hooked up to the connector and it works ok. The red one does not. Hook it up to the fuse box and it works ok. The power widows do not work, speedometer and pressure indicators do not work. Clock work, wipers work but none of the instruments lights work
  • mitch56mitch56 Member Posts: 1
    My fuel filter keep getting clogged, I must have bought some dirty gas. The car has 175000 on it. Is it possible that there is sludge build up in the tank? I was thinking of installing an afterrmarket large gas filter until it clears up. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.
  • privateer56privateer56 Member Posts: 3
    I assume it was a factory option in the '93. it is part of the dashboard and has a reflective panel in the windshield.
  • buzwabuzwa Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, great forums.
    I own a 2000 Altima SE with about 77,000 miles. I bought it used about 6 months ago. I have had no problems except for the last 2 weeks or so. I was in start/stop traffic and I went to take off and my car felt like it was about to just turn off, and the SES light popped on. It didnt do it again, so i kept driving. The next day, I was turning at a light in similar conditions and the engine turned off and all the lights on the dash board lit up. I put it in park, turned the key and the car immediately started back up and gave me no more problems for the rest of the day. Today, I was about to back up and put the car in reverse, it immediately shut off when i released the brake and began backing up. Again, it restarted just fine and had no problems for the rest of the trip home.
    Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Brian
  • mparris86mparris86 Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem that started recently on my 93 Altima. When I start the car while it is cold outside or has been sitting for a while, a high-pitched screeching/squealing accompanies the idling. However, when I rev the engine a few times, it usually will stop. However, the screeching noise will return when I turn the car around a corner, but will vanquish when I accelerate out of the turn. The most peculiar part, however, is that this only happens during the first 5 minutes of driving. If I am driving any significant distance, none of this occurs when the car has had time to warm up. I had the guy at the oil change place check out my belt, which he said looked fine. My power steering fluid if full as well.

Any ideas as to what this problem is? The car has 138,000 miles on it and this is the first problem I have had since buying it used about 1.5 years ago. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
  • stomperstomper Member Posts: 1
    You might want to take it into a tire shop. I think it could be your tire barrings. If that is the problem you will want to replace it ASAP. I waited to long and it was a mess. The wife didn't get her car back for a week.
  • doyindoyin Member Posts: 22
    Hi,im starting to suspect i have a problem with my ECM especially with its relation to the TCM. It works ok when i turn the screw to get readings on the MIL but i suppose there's supposed to be an LCD blinking on the ECM also.There's no light on the ECM and i think it's affecting the transmission shifts.Just had the TCM replaced bcos it jerked while changing from 1 to 2.That stopped but now the trans changes pretty quick and lags after every shift plus the rpm drops drastically to 1000 after the third shift then starts to pick up speed again.How exactly can i tell if there's a problem with the ECM without trouble codes. :confuse:
  • dballdball Member Posts: 15
    Well, I'll tell ya.. I bought this car in Nov 04 with 22000 miles on it. 2.5S and I have got to tell you after 7 road force balances, new Michelin Symmetry tires, one new wheel and new rotors, I still have a wheel shimmy between 50-75 and a general vibration throughout the car at highway speeds. Although it's still under warranty, the dealers here in Fl (three of them) refuse to do anything else for the car claiming the issue is a "design characteristic." Actually, one dealer's service manager levelled with me and told me this is a known issue that has existed since 2002 and still exists in 2005. He also told me the Titan pickup truck is chewing up brakes at 15 - 20k and other than turn the rotors and finally replace them after three turns, the problem is a known issue with no fix. Funny thing is, the dealers all offered me a chance to drive a 2005 altima 2.5S so I could see that what I "felt" was "normal." They all had one sitting conveniently ready to drive and yes, all the 2005s had the same problem as mine, some were a lot worse. I have 2 friends with 2005 2.5S' and both of them have recently started to experience the wheel shimmy, vibration, etc problem. One of the cars is a lease so they are probably going to turn it in if the problem isn't resolved. I guess all I can say is it's sad that Nissan has had 4 years to fix this problem and has not done a thing. This is only one of MANY quality issues with this car. It looks great!, but you'll pay the price in the long run....
  • sbalisbali Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Nissan Altima 2000 GLE. The problem is that when I start the car and turn the steering wheel completely to either side I hear a sound from front. This sound comes only when the car is start and stationary (started but not moving) and the sound does not come when the car is moving.
  • ilim78ilim78 Member Posts: 1
    I need help in finding out what size lugz i have on my tires. I have '97 Altima GXE, and i'm sure it has 15" wheels as standard. The previous owner misplaced the tire-iron for wheel replacing kit that came with the car (original ones from Nissan). Do you guys know what size tire-iron i should get, which will work with the lug size AND the jack.

Thanks a bunch,
  • necrosisnecrosis Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Altima 3.5SE with 10,500mi. I bought the car in February of 04 with 114mi and the right front strut already needs to be replaced. I've been waiting for 4 weeks because the part is on backorder from the dealership and I'm one of four people waiting for this part. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with the Altima?
  • jobou_jpjobou_jp Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

It happens time to time (sometime separate by weeks sometime two days in a row) that at a red light (so in drive mode) the idling is getting erratic and then if I try to start at the light or sometime even if I don’t accelerate the car end by stopping. When I restart it again it generally runs quite fine. I noticed that sometime, its seams it’s going to stop but make it to continue but then latter the same day it stops. I don’t know if it has something to do with it and maybe it’s normal, but when I turn on the fan of the ventilation in the car, the idling rate goes down.

Any suggestion is welcome!

Thanks

JP
  • rich_westrich_west Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. 2 days ago I was driving my car, when all of a sudden it just stopped, when I try and start it, it starts up fine but it now shakes badly, and if I try to give it any gas it stops all together, I was thinking that maybe it had to do with this problem it's had since I bought it 7 months ago where I turn the key, and it does nothing it won't even fire until it feels like it, but eventually it starts. So I figured my fuel filter was clogged but I changed it, and still nothing. I could really use some help, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions..... Thank you

Rich. :confuse:
  • mvandykemvandyke Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get the issue with the dashboard light solved? i have a 2002 Altima and it just started doing this also.
  • skipwondahskipwondah Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Altima GXE, it has 114,000mi. When I got off work one day I tried to start my car and nothing happened. Didn't even try to turn over, wasn't the battery because my headlights and everything else was working. The tow truck driver tapped something and then it started. Ran and started fine for the next 2 days, then the same thing happened again. Could this be the starter?
  • sjv1944sjv1944 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 94 Nissan Altima GLE which I bought new. It has 132,000+ miles on it and had been relatively trouble free until about two years ago. Since then, I've had the speedometer with HUD replaced, a new radiator installed (the plastic top on the old one broke}, oil leaks resealed on the oil pan and timing gear cover (now the valve cover is leaking} and most recently, a new distributor installed (old one failed when oil leaked into it). Are these oil leaks common on 11 year old Altimas? Now I am having problems with the battery going dead. The car will sit for a week sometimes without being driven and the battery will always be dead. If it only sits 2 or 3 days it is OK. Charging system checks out and I've tried several new batteries with no luck. I think lit may be the alarm system but it may be something else electrical as both the radio and cruise control have stopped working. I now have to disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent the battery from going dead. Any ideas?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We had many leaks on our '01 and I know my mechanic said that among other leaks, the O rings had to be replaced. All I know is he found every leak on the Alty and after spending about $350., no more leaks.
    Have your mechanic check it out or find a good Nissan mechanic.
    Good luck.

The Sandman :)
  • sean_sean_ Member Posts: 2
    Hi, people

My car was recently broken into and the only good that came out of it was that the thieves decided to break the small window in the back rather than any of the power windows. Having said that, I am wondering if anyone has any experience replacing this window. Does the door have to come off in order to replace it, or what is the procedure?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

- Sean
  • mojojmojoj Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem, over time car would had problems starting. I found that the car would only have problems in hot weather, I guess this may have somthing to do with thermal expansion of components within the ignition switch. The real problem is that the contacts in the ignition wore down, so I had to turn the key with greater force over time to start the engine. You can solve the problem by replacing the ignition switch. The nature of the failure on the switch is that the electrical arcing that occurs in the switch when contact is made and eventually eroded a hole in the contact, so there was a blackened dimpled crater on the contact surface. I was able to sand down and level the contact, so it works fine now. I am sure that a new switch is inexpensive to buy as well. just remove the plastic cowling from the steering collumn (2 screws if I remember correctly) and the ignition switch is located on the left side(oppisite side of the ignition key lock) it can be removed by using a stubby phillips screwdriver. If you want to clean and level the contacts, or just replace the switch.
  • splcustomsplcustom Member Posts: 2
    If the problem only happens when the engine is cold ( not up to operating temperature), and happens when the car is stopped as well as driving, then it is not going to be the wheel bearings. the bearings ensure a smooth ride, and have nothing to do with the engine speed, but will get progressively worse as your vehicle speed increases. Don't rule out the belt or belts that the service technician checked, as a visual inspection won't really diagnose a slipping problem, which is what it sounds like to me. If the belt is slipping, the chances of the problem being directly caused by an old, worn belt are high. The problem could be a loose pulley, like the tensioner, which is spring loaded, or adjustable by screws. Check the pulleys on the top of the motor that are mounted on adjustable brackets for signs of previous movement. Look at the bolts holding on the alternator, tensioner, etc, for shinier or cleaner spots on the metal RIGHT next to the bolt. It might be a very little mark, but if you see a "ghost" image of the bolt, or even a spot the is being eclipsed by the bolt itself, then that pully or accessory is causing the slip. this visaul inspection should take less than two minutes, including raising the hood. If everything looks like it is where it is supposed to be, then replace the belt or belts, which are probably the culprit in this case.
  • splcustomsplcustom Member Posts: 2
    If the tow truck driver tapped something, it probably wasn't the starter. Find out if the starter solenoid is connected to the starter. the solenoid is what sends the little gear out of the starter to the flywheel to start the car. Usually its connected to the starter, but in some cases, its an the fender or firewall of the car.
    It's definitely your belt.Had the exact problem on my 97.The tech said the belt had slackened and a replacement did the trick.
  • fizgig36fizgig36 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Altima that in the last two months has not started twice. The first time was on an unuaually warm day. I took it to the mechanic and when they tried it the next day it started, but later that day it would not start. They ended up reprogramming the keys (because I just had one made) thinking that it might be a problem with the computer. Ten days later I got out of work at 5pm and tried to start my car and it would not start. It was another unusually warm day. I left the car overnight and the next morning it did start. That day I brought it to the mechanics and they said it started later that day and it started the next day as well. I am afraid to take the car home because I think it will happen again. I also feel like the weather might have something to do with my problem. :confuse:
    For the last two months my car has been making a high pitched whistling noise. It only seems to happen after I have driven the car for awhile, never when I first drive the car. I can only hear it if I am driving under 40 miles per hour. The noise stops when I hit the breaks and then returns when I accelerate. It can get very loud and it drives me crazy! :confuse:
  • posnerposner Member Posts: 2
    :mad: Hey all...I'm new to the board. I have a 03 2.5 sl and my brakes have been really really screechy. Has anyone else encountered this problem? and if so is it problematic? have you fixed it? is it really a problem. I don't know a whole lot about cars, so any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS
  • gino45gino45 Member Posts: 52
    To remove the window you have to remove the inside door panel. Once done, you'll see a screw that holds the window divider in place. The divider is what separates the quarter window from the large passenger window. Lower the large window and undo the screw. Move the divider towards the front so you'll be able to move the quarter window out.
  • sean_sean_ Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much for the help there, gino! Much appreciated.

Regards,

Sean
  • wojo0624wojo0624 Member Posts: 2
    What is the best way to remove the front corner lights and tail lights on a 1998 altima? I am having trouble taking them out. If anyone has a solution please email me. Thank you.
  • djustusdjustus Member Posts: 1
    93 altima ---- just replaced blown radiator. Now the water begins to bubble in the overflow and eventually begins to boil and steam. The thermostat is good and the fans work correctly. There is a noise from the serpentine belt that drives the water pump, but cannot figure why the water does not circulate properly. Any help would be appreciated.
  • ronroronro Member Posts: 1
    IF YOUR CAR STALLS AND ACTS LIKE IT WANTS TO CONTINUE ON WHEN COMING TO A COMPLETE STOP, YOUR LOCK IN SWITCH ON YOUR TRANSMISSION IS PROBABLY BAD. YOU HAVE THREE SPEEDS ON THE CAR AND THEN A LOCK IN THAT LOCKS THE TRANNY TO YOUR DRIVE SYSTEM......IT FEELS LIKE YOU HAVE A 4 SPEED TRANNY. MY 89 OLDS HAD THE SAME SYSTEM. AND IT WENT BAD ON ME..... IT COST ABOUT $150 TO HAVE IT FIXED AT A LOCAL SHOP...DUNNO ABOUT A NISSAN COST. SORRY!
    Please use lower case when you type. It's like shouting and a bit difficult to read!

The Sandman :)
    I took my car in because it kept randomly not starting and my mechanic said that he didn't see anything wrong with it and it started for them. He also said something about the computer codes which I did not understand. Has anyone encountered this before? I also had my mechanic tighten the belts because I thought it would fix the screeching noise but it just made it worse. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :confuse:
  • harper7harper7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Altima. Today when I turned my headlights on, the dashboard light and cd player/radio stopped working. When I turned the headlights off, they came back on. My sister has a 1999 Altima that had the same problem. I called the dealership, and they said they'd never heard of this, but it appears by looking on various forums this is a problem many people have experienced. I haven't been able to find out what's causing it, though. Any help would be appreciated!!
    Saw smthn about a TSB on solenoids (U13) on the nissan tech info website.Can anyone get a printout of these?Got a problem with my auto shift(97gxe) from 1-2.It shifts harshly with a jerk.Can anyone with a 97 gxe pls tell me what kind of Trans control unit comes with this car?i.e serial number.Recently acquired the car and i'm starting to think the TCU has been changed and might not be the correct one.This one is ETC-N400/A1/6607.It's situated underneath the glove compartment on the sidewall.Thanks :confuse:
  • arssa2020arssa2020 Member Posts: 5
    hello,
    98 altiam gxe, 136k...
    this car was fine, started shaking upon start up 2 month ago..
    it shakes when u start the car for like 10-15 seconds.. happens when car ir hot/cold.. weather hot/cold....
    today it also stopped when i was driving it on FWY (scarry).. i started it and it started just fine...
    i change oil , spark plugs, filters. belts on timely basis....
    what can be the case?
    is engine/electric related?
    sometimes my dash board lights would go away, and then they will come back after 3-5 seconds when they disappear..

please help me.? when i go to mechanic, what should i look for?
    how much fix cost should i expect?
    regards
    mo
  • nels52nels52 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2000 Altima GLE and the instrument panel, i.e. speedometer, tach, and temp gage, will quit working every once in a while. Sometimes they freeze, sometimes they go to zero, and once in a while they'll even peg to high values. They usually come back in 5 to minutes and definitely if I stop and restart the engine. It happens more frequently when I have the speed control engaged (yes, that quits too). Any suggestions? I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer because when I called he mentioned 3 to 5 things it could be and seems to be just guessing.
  • genergener Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm having a similar problem with my 96' Altima. What was your resolution to this?

Thanks,

Gene
  • cherrypiecherrypie Member Posts: 1
    Well recently I've been hearing a grinding noise coming from the passenger brake. I really don't know alot about cars either. I'm going to get it checked out though. :sick:
  • xdrtypopxxdrtypopx Member Posts: 1
    I have an '01 GLE and what you have described matches my symptoms to a T. Everything is right on from the gauges sticking or droping to redlining. Also, it will usually reset after a few minutes or a restart. Cruise control definatley makes it more common. It has been hapening for almost a year and a half but the dealer said they coudlnt do anything unless it happened while they had it (which would never hapen since it was so random). Now that it is out of waranty im sure they can find a solution. I have searched many times for this problem and your response is the only one i have ever scene. I did notice it went away in the winter (i live in NH) so maybe the cold dry air had something to do with it. But now that the rain and warmer air is returning i am having the same problems all over again. Also my if cruise control is set and the gauges drop my "Set" light turns off and the "Cruise" light blinks and will not let me use cruise until the car is reset. Additiaonly, the first few times it has happened the car starts to sputter and get real laggy. If i put it in Neutral and rev the engine go back in drive i can keep moving but this happens 50% of the time when the needles die.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    This sounds exactly like a problem I had with my 89 Accord. This problem actually plagued me for over a year because when the weather got cool, it went away and then returned the next summer.

With my car, it would have trouble starting and then if I tried it enough times, t would miraculously start and run fine. Finally, it was diagnosed as the fuel pump and that did the trick. Problem never happened again.
  • Gene,

Go to post #216, the procedure is there. Just print it out. I have used it about 3 times since then and it worked everytime. Good Luck!

Ken
  • maechlermaechler Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Altima will stop running while being driven down the road at 60 miles per hour as if the key has been turned off then back on. The dash lights come on like when you turn the key on but not to start. After a few minutes it will start up and run again. This has happened twice with about one weeks time between. I have changed the fuel filter and swapped the injector relays. Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it.
    Thanks
    Rick
  • miagarfuncklemiagarfunckle Member Posts: 51
    I purchased a 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5s with 22000 miles on it. Since then the front struts have been replaced twice, belt tensioner once, all tires as one was about to detread at any time and cause an accident. Had to have the car aligned twice. Today we are having a radiator put in for god knows what reason. The car has 38000 miles on it. I know this is not indicative of Nissan. I am probably missing some other stuff too many to remember
  • tpowertpower Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 SE 3.5, just picked up at the dealer last week. When I get over 75 MPH there is a metallic rattling coming from somewhere under the hood around the front passenger wheel. Sounds likes something slapping the firewall or a piece of sheet metal under there. Anybody else experience this?
  • ericlemonsterericlemonster Member Posts: 4
    First post.

I'm basically an idiot when it comes to cars. So, here goes...

I have a 93 Altima, which has a 97 engine in it. Had a major tune-up (don't know what they did exactly) about 1.5 years ago. Haven't done much since then, except for oil change, and replaced starter.

Biggest problem I have seems to be my transmission? My problem occurs when I move in stop&go traffic, and usually during hot weather. When I get to about 35-40 mph, the RPM increases as I push the gas. It does NOT shift back down and increase my MPH. IE my car stays at 35-50 mph, while RPM climbs to 4,5,6000.

Along with this, the gear shifts are very jerky. It feels like the car wants to shift badly, but just can't do it.

Solutions that sometimes work, I pull over and give the car a break, or I can just let go of the gas to let the RPM go down, and punch the gas again.

I'm lost, having this problem for about a year. Don't know what to do. Can't find a trusted mechanic, etc. HELP ME PLEASE.

e-r-i-c-l-e-m-o-n-s-t-e-r-@-g-m-a-i-l-.-c-o-m
    (dashes added to avoid spam bots)
    update...just spend a few minutes looking inside the engine to see if anything was amiss. found this loose tubing. should it go into that hole right there? that bigger tube w/ the hole in it, leads from the air filter. http://img209.echo.cx/my.php?image=img54464ox.gif
    The a/c started acting funny on friday...blowing cold, then warm air. Took it to the mechanic and he said it was a low pressure switch which was $49.95, labor was $50., a/c performance check was $19.99 and shop supplies were $4.20. Came to $131.59 with tax. We put on a new tire on thursday, which was another $77 for a 205/65/60 Dayton tire. So $200. this week alone. So far this year, we've spent almost $800. on our baby and it's getting to be that time folks. A real shame as we both love the car, but it's starting to nickel and dime us and with 78k miles, I really don't want to put anymore $ into it. A shame, as I've finally come to love the car, as it's a sharp looking car in the Titanium Frost color and eventhough we've taken pretty good care of it, it's just not "dependable" now.
    Drove the Corolla and Camry yesterday, but the brakes stil had that "mushy" feeling of our 4 past Toyotas, the Camry even had ABS. So Toyota is off the list.
    I liked the Mazda 3, but the wife liked the 6 better. Saw a new Jetta yesterday...very impressive, but it's still a 1st year model and I'm learey of it. She will go test drive the Jetta and the Volvo S40 today hopefully. Lastly we will look at the Honda Accord and Civic later tonight. She likes the BMW 325i, but I'm adamant against it, but she wants to test drive one, so she will.
    I wish I had Terry's crystal ball to see if the Alty will be trouble free until the '06 models come out, but doubtful he'd lend it to me. And it's funny, whenever we buy a new tire for a high mileage car that we own...we end up trading within the month.
    So that's our dilemma. We both really love our '01 Alty and hate to give it up, but it's not dependable now. And eventhough it would be cheaper to keep it, we're both not risk takers and we need our cars to be dependable and start everyday.
    What to do...? Decisions...decisions...!

The Sandman :confuse:
    Most likely u need to have either the speed sensor or throttle position sensor replaced.
    one last update, my engine is a 97 engine in a 93 altima. would that have adverse affects? plus, how can i rule out that i have a major tranmission problem so that i don't even have to bother trying to fix other minor rthings?