Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mhausmannmhausmann Member Posts: 4
    I found out that my EGR valve needs to be replaced but I heard it could also be cleaned with carburator fluid. I need to know first of all if this is possible and second of all where my EGR valve is located and how to go about it. I have a 95 Nissan Altima. THANKS :confuse:
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    Check eBay for replacement security system key fobs. BUT (there's that nasty word again...) you probably will have to have the replacement key fob programmed to your car by a Nissan dealer. (Hey, if it was an easy do-it-yourself project, your car would've been stolen long ago.) Expect to pay M-O-N-E-Y for the service.
  • ewe2ewe2 Member Posts: 20
    I have noticed all of the things you have mentioned in our 2005 2.5s. Best suggestion? Save your money to buy a good car.

We are currently having our 3rd stereo replaced because of electircal problems.

Oh, And our car just hit 7,000 miles. Windows fog up instantly when you put the defroster on. The AC comes on and won't shut off. The burning smell from the back. The excessive acceleration. Rattles galore. Tried to trade it in but was only offered $13,000. No resale value.

I refer to it as the crap-tima

D
  • jaseguijasegui Member Posts: 1
    Stevebun , Nissan has changed over the last 10 years. Only 20 % of the cars have japan parts like the engine and Transmission everything else is american. My Uncle has a 90 altima and never had a major problem with the car and infact he have not even changed the timing yet the car has 185K and still get 20mpg.I Have a 2000 Altima Gle and I have not had any Major problems Just regular maintance But it does burn alot of gas. :(
  • winsanwinsan Member Posts: 36
    Windows fog up instantly when you put the defroster on.: I think it's because the system blows moisture from outside before the AC takes effect. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    The AC comes on and won't shut off.: it's by design. Once you set it to defroster, it will turn on the AC until you power off the engine. You may see it as a bad design. But the system is working as designed.
    The burning smell from the back.: that's something I haven't had with my 03 (it's 72k now ...).
    The excessive acceleration.: isn't this a feature? You may not like it, but I think that is the design.
    Rattles galore.: yeah, I have this, since the car got 60k.

Who knows what happen to Nissan's quality control ... they're going south.
  • estutlerestutler Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2005 Altima. I sat in my garage yesterday morning with the dealership on the phone. They told me that my battery was bad. I told them that a battery should last for more than 6 months and 15,000 miles. He told me to have it towed to him and they would pay for it ONLY if it was something that was covered under warrenty. I then kept the key turned for at least one minute and it slowly started. The service guy told me that you have to hold the key for a few seconds sometimes to get cars to start. I guess he thinks that just because I am a woman that I am also an idiot. I am taking it to a different Nissan service department tomorrow. I have also had the car in twice to have the weather strips on the top replaced. They came off during a car wash. What a piece of crap and it is my problem for the next 4 1/2 years.
  • stantheman2stantheman2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 altima and having same problem. Can you tell me what had to be done to correct problem. Buy a new part, clean old part, etc. Thanks.

Stantheman2
  • jmadison3jmadison3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problems with my Altima with the engine shutting off and replace fuel filter, coil, and spark plug wires. In addition, I have no heat, the car blower works, but still no heat. I noticed that the spark plug wires on two of the four wires are almost cemented to the spark plug or burnt into the well of the spark plugs.
  • clayboy1clayboy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Nissan Altima and I'm experiencing the exact same problem that you have identified. I'm currently at 111k (coincidentally) and two month ago my manifold, O2 sensor, gasket and bearing were all replaced. The oil seems to be disappearing faster than I can put it in. The dealership is telling me that the engine has to be stripped down (which will cost a lot of money) and then put back together after the problem is identified (again another fee). The dealership told me that Nissan may or may not pay for this repair since I'm not under warranty. Can you please tell me how you ended up dealing with this problem. I have a friend that had a oil consumption problem with his Sentra R which has the same engine as the Altima. He was able to convince Nissan to replace the engine free of charge, but he was still under warranty. My warranty has expired and I don't plan on paying for a problem that I don't believe I caused. I would like to be able to prove that this was a problem that existed while I was still under warranty. I truly believe that Nissan is aware of this problem. I received a recall notice for a different problem but suspiciously has similar remedies. This recall does not mention the oil consumption problem that you showed in yours. It reads exactly as follow:

Summary: ON CERTAIN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 2.5 LITER ENGINE, THE EXHAUST PIPE HANGER PIN MAY CATCH DEBRIS FROM THE ROAD THAT COULD BE IGNITED BY CONTACT WITH THE MAIN CATALYST. Consequence: THIS CONDITION COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL REMOVE THE PROTRUDING PORTION OF THE EXHAUST PIPE HANGER PIN. IN ADDITION TO THE CORRECTIVE ACTION, IN ORDER TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE IN THE EVENT OF POOR OR IMPROPER MAINTENANCE THAT COULD RESULT IN OIL SPILLAGE, HEAT SHIELD(S) WILL BE INSTALLED ON THE PRE-CATALYST AND EXHAUST TUBE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON JULY 28, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

If you can give me any advice or tell me how you handled your problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    "Who knows what happen to Nissan's quality control ... they're going south."

Short answer? Nissan QC is determined by parent company Renault. Furthermore, the French government has a stake in Renault.
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    About a month ago I took my 2003 Altima SE to the dealer because of a "thumping" noise coming from the front. It happened when driving on uneven roads, but not all the time. They replaced both front struts and I brought the car home. Within one day I started hearing another noise from the front end, this time more like a rattling noise in the glove box area. I have checked in the glove box, opened the hood looking for something loose, etc. Nothing. I am taking the car in tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will get fixed this time. Other than this, I love this car. Especially the power and handling. I will let you know what happens when I get the car back.
    I took my car in this morning to get the noise taken care of. It seems the right front strut gasket came unsealed which was causing the noise. The lubricated it and resealed it correctly. No more noise. (hopefully!)
    Having to go back a second time is frustrating, but it's confidence building when the second visit turns out to be something minor and quickly remedied. We'll keep our collective fingers crossed for ya'! :)
  • alj820alj820 Member Posts: 3
    yes, I have an brand new 05 altima I purchased in Aug05 and I have had to take the car to the dealer 6 times for squealing and grinding brakes. they have attempted to repair it 5 times and it temporarly goes away and is back. Nissan says the noise is normal whenever the vehicle has been sitting for awhile but of course they never can duplicate the grinding, its funny how everybody but nissan can hear and feel the grinding! the transmission is slipping and it is hard to shift into gear. what I thought was a good car is turning out to be a nightmare especially since I cant get any help from the manufactuerer in fixing the problem, guess I should have kept the Honda! even at 100,000 I had no problems!
  • jatpjatp Member Posts: 1
    I BOUGHT A NISSAN ALTIMA IN JULY 2005 SPORT PACKAGE. WHEN YOU OPEN THE SUN ROOF ALL WAY BACK AND DRIVE IT IT MAKE A RATTLING NOISE. THEY SAID IT IS A BENT RAIL AND FOR THAT
    REASON IT WILL BE NOT COVER BY THE WARRANT BECAUSE IT IS NOT A DEFECT. I WONDER IF SOMEBODY ELSE IT HAVING THIS PROBLEM.
    JATP34@HOTMAIL.COM
  • gmhgmh Member Posts: 1
    yes, I have the same problem with my 03...problem existed since it was new
    Does the EGR valve cause idleing and pinging I know it needs to be changed , but I wanted to know if this causes all these other problems it also has a rough start. Will this all be fixed when I replace it. Also my overflow tank for my radator is leaking but my radiator is full. Is this a problem? I have a 95 Nissan Altima :lemon:
    I have to say, I have NEVER had any problems with my brakes grinding, stalling out, etc. I have a 2003 Altima SE with automatic. It is a great running car. I did have the noise problem (read above) but that was fixed at no charge (with a complimentary loaner car). Great service at the dealership. Great mean running machine.
  • ruben610ruben610 Member Posts: 1
    This morning my 2005 2.5 SL Altima did not start. It was a cold morning (17 degrees). I tried several times with no luck. I called AAA. After a few times the car was OK. The AAA guys advised me to put Dry Gas in my car. He said he always recommend people to do so, specially in winter time. I need to know if it is safe to use Dry Gas on Altima's. Please help. Thanks!
  • piratemanpirateman Member Posts: 18
    Just bought used, mint condition SE 3.5L Altima and absolutely love it. But, carfanatic, you are scaring me. I am hearing a thumping noise, thought it was bad tire and figured I might have to buy new tire in spring. But it isnt a tire?? Are struts a problem for this vehicle?
  • nizzmonizzmo Member Posts: 3
    MY 2002 ALTIMA 3.5SE HAS PROBLEMS! IT WILL NOT REV PAST 2500 RPM NEED HELP! ANY INFO WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
    Has the fuel filter ever been changed? How long has the current air filter been in service? (Suggestion - turn off your "Caps Lock", OK? :))
    Sorry about the caps! I took my car to get computer checked out due too service eng light on & codes for tpi & maf sensors came up but they don't know which it is or is if it's both.
    By the way no the fuel filter has not been changed out & yes i have a new k&n filter intalled
    WhenI start my car in the morning and put it inti Drive the rpms go up and down when I give it gas the car sputters it only does this for about 5 - 10 minutes then it seems to be fine. I just changed the EGR valve and their are no lights on. Does anything know what this could be? My overflow tank leaks too but the radiator remains full! If anyone has a solution please let me know! THanx :confuse:
  • hailhayhailhay Member Posts: 2
    I have a 01 altima, My front headlight is always going out. i have replaced the bulb about 10 times in 6 months. My stereo is almost always full of static, the power locks have a tendency to lock on there own. I just had to get my rotors cut ($400) now something called a rack imperian (not sure if thats how you spell it) just went there goes another $1200. Should i just junk my car? I still have monthly payments of $400 i feel like i work just to pay for this car. Are there any other major problems i should know about?? :sick:
    "rack imperian"

rack & pinion - the steering mechanism assembly. Yep, they're very expensive to replace, though a good wheel alignment shop would probably do it for less than the dealership. As to the constantly failing headlight bulbs, a couple of possibilities:
    1> you're touching the halogen bulb glass (actually fused quartz...) with your fingers when you replace the bulbs. Any moisture or oils from your skin will cause these bulbs to fail very early.
    or
    2> a loose socket - the bulb ends up drawing excessive electrical current and subsequently fails sooner. An auto-electric shop can check this possibility and may be able to retension the socket's contacts.
    Normally, halogen bulbs are good to go for up to a decade. (I'm 3 1/2 years into the originals in my Hyundai. Koreans do NOT know more about headlight bulb design than the Japanese.)
    I can not really say if struts are a problem with this car or not. On mine they were obviously. The second visit to the dealer was caused by them not seating the "boot" of the strut correctly. It was fixed with no problem. As of today (2/18/06) it is still quiet. Is your car still under warranty?
  • hailhayhailhay Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Rack & pinion got it. I got a good deal. the dealer wanted $900 just for parts i got a place to do it for $700 including labor. i will try a new bulb and make sure we dont touch it. thanks again!!
  • dballdball Member Posts: 15
    I had the roof strips replaced as well. The trippy thing is, I visited two heavy volume dealers in FL and bought at the second. They both had over 100 Altimas each on their lots and a vast majority of the cars had the strips popping up on them! Mine got blown off in the car wash like yours and thank the lord they didn't scratch the paint when it happened. I think it's extremely humorous, and sad that Nissan always acts like the problem NEVER happened before...
  • debrad2debrad2 Member Posts: 4
    I have an j2004 Altima. I was driving (under 30 mph) and the car just stopped. All lights came on, the car would go into neutral and the drive gears but not into reverse or park. It would not start up right away or allow me to remove the key. After about 3 to 5 minutes, the car started up. Happened first on 2/7 and just happened again on 2/23. No computer codes come up and the dealer cannot duplicate the problem. I have noticed that shortly before the car stops it feels like it is bogging down, the engine seems sluggish. Anyone else with this issue. If this happens to me in traffic or on the interstate, it will cause at least a major wreck or result in my death. Nisson says it has never had this problem reported but from the info in this forum, that cannot be the case!
    I had this problem with a Toyota MR2. The drain tube was clogged. It was cleaned out and the problem disappeared.
    I was driving (under 30 mph) and the car just stopped. All lights came on, the car would go into neutral and the drive gears but not into reverse or park. It would not start up right away or allow me to remove the key. After about 3 to 5 minutes, the car started up. Happened first on 2/7 and just happened again on 2/23. No computer codes come up and the dealer cannot duplicate the problem. I have noticed that shortly before the car stops it feels like it is bogging down, the engine seems sluggish. Anyone else with this issue? If this happens to me in traffic or while on the interstate, it will cause at least a major wreck or at worst, result in my death! Nisson says it has never had this problem reported but from the info in this forum, that cannot be the case!
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    If you could steer and brake the car, there might've not been imminent danger of catastrophe, though the problem certainly merits immediate attention for the reasons you cited. Who was your actual contact - Nissan USA, a Nissan dealership, or both? If you haven't already brought Nissan USA into the matter, do so by registered letter - and keep a copy of the letter in case you also need to contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If you have brought Nissan USA into the matter and gotten a boilerplate response and a yawn, then go over their head by calling the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236). You shouldn't have to do some lower echelon Nissan functionary's job for him by totaling the car first just so he can continue collecting a nice salary with his feet propped on his desk. Good luck.
  • thethirdeyethethirdeye Member Posts: 3
    I have a '98 GXE, and for the past few months whenever I take the keys out of the ignition, it still detects them being in the ignition, therefore the car will chime at me as if I left my keys in the car, when they're in my hand. The dome light won't go on anymore either, and it won't let me lock my doors from the inside when the door's open (as a safety precaution I guess?) Any idea what I could do? Sometimes it'll work when I jiggle the keys around in the ignition before I take the keys out, but most of the time it just senses them as still being in there :( It's really annoying to hear the beeping everytime I open the door, and locking the keys from the outside all the time rather than the simple power lock button... The dealer said it has to do with my alarm system, but I highly doubt it.
  • spondyspondy Member Posts: 1
    How do I change the temperature on the mirror from Celsuis to Fahreheit
  • edkooledkool Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 nissan altima and recently if i didnt warm up the car right, the car will shutdown the engine by itself. there is one time it happened twice in 5 mins.
    Can anyone give me a suggestion?
    Anytime your car completely shuts down while moving in traffic presents a problem! Thanks for the tip on sending Nissan USA a registered letter and the tip on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I appreciate the info! Hopefully the others experiencing this same problem will see your response.
  • 9baller9baller Member Posts: 4
    My problem started out worse. My air pocket was so severe that it was making my temperature gauge run all the way up to extremely hot, then back to normal in a matter of 20 seconds or so. This would happen continuously in about 1 minute intervals. I took it to a radiator shop and they said they drained the air pocket but that they ran a test and found my engine was outputting a high level of carbon-monoxide. They said it was probably a blown head gasket but nobody could be sure until they tore the engine down. Since I had an engine leak, according to them, the air pocket would return. Sure enough, a few days later my heat went out again at idle and shortly after that, my overheating problem returned. I took it to a Nissan dealership and a mechanic told me he had never heard of any problems out of those engines and even though the people at the radiator shop knew what they was doing, they didn't know much about Nissans. He explained that in order to drain an air pocket out of my Altima, you have to drain it for at least 30-45 minutes minimum. They drained my air pocket and everything seemed fine for a day. Two days later, my heating problem returned at idle once again. It's not as bad as it was before the dealership fixed it, but it's still there. My overheating problem has, for the time being, been eliminated and it's been two weeks, but I'm afraid it will return. The mechanic didn't say anything about resealing the cooling system, but I'm guessing I need the same procedure you had done. If possible, can you ask your advisor exactly what it's called? I would greatly appreciate it for I've been trying helplessly to correct this problem. Thanks.
  • angelb1angelb1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 2.5 Altima. The carpet underneath the drivers seat all the way back is always wet. I pulled up the floor mat in the back today and the carpet is frozen solid (winter weather)underneath.

Any ideas on what can be causing this? I am afraid it will start to smell musty and eventually ruin the carpeting.

Thanks.
  • karenlkarenl Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2000 Sltima GXE and had difficulty with it hestitating. I also replaced the spark plugs and wires. I didn't replace the Air Mass Flow. What finally fixed it was replacing the intake manifold. If you haven't had it done yet, you may want to ask them to replace all the seals while they have it tore down. The extra cost for the seals is nothing compared to if the labor if they have to go back in.
  • sabssabs Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Nissan Altima with the same problem. Very strong gas smell coming from the vents and I can smell gas outside of the car also. The problem seems to be more intense when the car is idle. I've never had my car to the dealer, but had it looked at by my mechanic several times, in which each time a clamp on hose/fuel line were replaced/tightened. This seemed to correct the problem, but only lasted for a day. Every clamp on the fuel fed hose(s) have been tightened or replaced but I still have this annoying problem.
  • lsylvesterlsylvester Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I just purchased a 2006 Altima S and it has started making this buzzing electrical sound that appears to be coming from somewhere near the glove compartment. It seems to do this when I first start the car and it only lasts for a few seconds. Any ideas as to what it might be?

Linda
  • edvkedvk Member Posts: 8
    Check out this website. I recall reading something about this before.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Altima/2005/1.htm
  • angelb1angelb1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the link. However, I couldn't find anything there regarding my problem.
  • justtinajusttina Member Posts: 3
    Ok everyone I'm back again to tell you this is only getting worse not better. My car still at times acts like it is not going to start and it takes 4 or 5 times of trying to finally get it to start. My check engine light came on the other day. I called the dealership and scheduled an appointment for the next day. They had to replace the Throttle body assembly. I was not charged for that but my car has had nothing but problems since I bought it - what happens when my warrenty expires? I am going to write Nissan a registered letter like suggested. One of the reasons I bought this car is because of the warrenty still left on it but if I'm having this much trouble now what happens later? I'm very furstrated. Any suggestions out there? I think I might even call another dealership too and see what they say about the problem. Like you I have 4 1/2 years of looking forward to this crap unless I decide to buy another car and loose money in the process.
  • Take it through a car wash after a couple of dry days. Then check for any water coming in thru the windows, doors, and trunk. You can also check the chassis underneath for any holes in floor. I did notice on my 94 there were rubber plugs in the floor trunk under the matting. When removed you could see the ground. If the trunk is leaking, maybe the water is running up front when the car is going down hill or parked downhill. Just some ideas. Good luck.

Ken
  • dubzdubz Member Posts: 1
    I have a '94 altima and the power steering fluid is out...but i cant find where exactly to put it. Where???
  • xs6dfg01xs6dfg01 Member Posts: 2
    Do yourself a favor - go to your nearest autozone or advance auto parts store and tell them this: "Hello, the check engine light is on in my car. Would you please read the code(s) for me?"

Follow the guy/girl out to the car and they will attach a code reader to your car's OBDII diag port. Write the codes down and post back.

You may have been taken for some unneccesary repairs.

Jay
  • xs6dfg01xs6dfg01 Member Posts: 2
    Sputtering on a 95 Alty? - get your intake manifold gasket checked - they are known to fail.