Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cardocardo Member Posts: 3
    I tokk the Altima for a test drive and the sales man told me that as a saftey feature in an accident the engine will drop on to the ground to keep from catching fire. That is the second time a salesman has told us that. The first was with our Frontier 4 years ago. I asked my father-in-law (mechanic)about it, he has never heard of such a thing. Hearing it from more than one person starts to make me think, could this nonsense be true?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Sounds like baloney to this pilgrim. Do the math - if the engine does drop to the ground, the fuel line would likely break. Guess how safe that would be. ;) (After reading your post, my already jaded view of car salespeople dropped another 1,000 points.)
  • davidoodavidoo Member Posts: 1
    I agree with fourputt's solution but I have to disagree with fourputt when he says, "This is not a Nissan problem but one with every car that has a steering wheel/key interlock problem."

My wife and I have over 100 combined years of driving experience with many cars and have always been able to unlock the steering wheels. However, our 2006 Altima requires an extremely hard pull to the left to disengage the lock. My wife, daughter, niece have all had to seek assistance at one or more times.

With my first experience with the lockup, I tried to jiggle the wheel but had no success. Pulling hard to the right did nothing; pulling very hard to the left allowed the key to engage.

Nissan, like fourputt, says this is normal. I vehemently disagree!
  • breakfastclubbreakfastclub Member Posts: 8
    My 2003 Altima has 63k miles. I bought it in February, 2006. I noticed recently it was sometimes making a metallic jingling sound while accelerating and also in idle. The dealership ended up removing two shields that are on either side of the flexible section of the front exhaust. I was told the solders on one shield had completely given out, so it was just spinning around the exhaust pipe. One joint on the other shield had given out so it was rattling.

They tell me it's fine to have the shields removed, that to get new ones would involve replacing the entire front exhaust pipe to the tune of $1000.

Does anyone know if not having those shields can be a problem?
  • carguy28carguy28 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having some problems with my 02 Altima...It has 110000 kms...

1. Oil consumption...I'm going through too much oil...Have to fill up almost every other day.
    2. It makes a rattling noise when I start the car.
    3. when in idle, it shakes and feels like it will shut off.
    4. hear a swoshing sound from the engine when I acelerate..

any idea what the problems are???
  • dos1dos1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Nissan Altima and I just started to notice the clicking around the gear shift knob. Did you ever find out what the problem is and how to correct it?
    Thanks,
  • lmcumminlmcummin Member Posts: 4
    2002 Nissan Altima and Oil consumption issue?? Check out www.nhtsa.dot.gov. Run a search in Office of Defects Investigation. NHTSA Action Number is PE02078. "Nissan also stated in its defect information report that...certain operating conditions may cause the pre-catalyst to overheat, which would cause catalyst substrate particles to flow into the engine. These particles can score the cylinder walls which results in INCREASED OIL CONSUMPTION. If the engine oil level is low, engine noise and damage can occur which COULD RESULT IN A FIRE..." I've had 2 catalytic converters replaced already. My car continues to drink oil.
    "Does anyone know if not having those shields can be a problem?"

No operational problems. The shields are there for safety. While they get hot, they're no where nearly as hot as the exhaust manifold and front exhaust pipe. If you were to inadvertently reach in and touch the shield of an idling and fully warmed engine, you'd probably react in time to get nothing worse than a second degree burn. If you reached in and touched the exhaust manifold or upper exhaust pipe, you'd pull back barbecue.
  • breakfastclubbreakfastclub Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, Ray. While I'm glad to know I ought not go up in flames without the shields, do you know of a way to replace them - other than the $1000 fix the dealer mentioned?

We have all the work on our cars done at the dealer or other service facility, so I wouldn't be reaching in there. Now I'm just concerned about having to tell anyone working on it that the shields aren't there.
  • tarnmastertarnmaster Member Posts: 12
    It's not nonsense ... MOST cars now have engines that will break away and dive down under the car - it's designed to keep the engine from coming into the passenger compartment and harming front seat occupants ... your car salesman knows this and was trying to give a safety feature that may help sell a car ... do a Google search and find at findarticles.com ...

"Cars on the front-engine mid-ship platform (350Z, Inifniti G35 and FX45) from Nissan feature breakaway engine mounts and driveshafts again designed to dissipate crash energy from occupants. They also feature a brake pedal that moves towards the floor of the vehicle when a crash is detected to avoid possibility of leg injury to the driver."

So now maybe the idiot who said car salesmen don't know what they are talking about should do some research before he shoots off his mouth.
  • jmcrouchjmcrouch Member Posts: 4
    I live in Atlanta, GA, I can re-start the car right away.
  • mikenissanmikenissan Member Posts: 5
    have you checked the veh for recalls yet there was a recall on the catalytic converter that when on the early 2002 and 03 altimas the engine would leak oil past the rings and damage the cat that would destroy the cat and then let the material go back into the motor and cause oil consumption, the slosshing noise is that you are low on coolant and have a air pocket in the system.
    if it is only when you hit the brake pedal it is normal it is called a shift lock release switch
    did you have the dealer replace the cat if so they should have checked to see if the cat was damaged if you are still loosing oil it is because the cat was damaged and has damaged the motor
    have you had all the recalls done on your car if you have not there is a recall on the cat coverter and you might get a new motor for free
    what is the idle at it should be 850 alot of shaking from a veh is usually motor mounts that are weak
  • lmcumminlmcummin Member Posts: 4
    I was responding to a former e-mail from carguy28. I've already had my cat's replaced x 2. I am at 84,000 miles now. I've decided to trade in my car, too many problems with it to mention here :lemon:
  • csargisovcsargisov Member Posts: 1
    my 2002 Altima has the same symptoms and problems for the catalyst recall, but my vin # does not match, so I cannot get it fixed. Do you have any suggestions?
    thanks
  • vicaltima99vicaltima99 Member Posts: 1
    experts,

I have a 99 nisssan altima GXE and sometime i have stating issues. Early morning I'll try to start the ignition and all i hear i a hissing sound under the seat. I try this over and over again in the hopes that the engine will start but most of the times i just give up. The next day i start the engine and wroooom..... the engine starts and off i go. I cant demonstrate this problem to the mechanic since this seldom happens, mostly at home. Is there a solution to this problem? Has any one encountered this issue? I am no car expert but i have heard this has got to do with the starter solenoid..or something, i might be wrong though.

Appreacite any help.

Thanks
    vic
  • dulce2dulce2 Member Posts: 2
    my alarm is going crazy, it goes off when it likes and its making the locks go crazy too, any advise?? I have a 98 nissan altima gle
    Thanks
    Dulce
  • ilopezilopez Member Posts: 1
    i just replaced my distributor and crank sensor cause my car keeps cutting off. none of those solved the problem. i have a remote starter that was installed a year and a half ago i was told that may be the problem. i have a 97 altima with 114000 miles. i had it for 5 years and never had major problems. it cuts off when im driving the only warning i have is the car feels like i looses power the it stops. sometimes it will stutter like it is trying to still go but cant. please help if anyone ever had the same problem
  • galt06galt06 Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a new 2006 Altima 2.5S with special edition package. So far I like the car. However, I just received a letter from Nissan stating that the 2.5 engine in my car is prone to possible oil use and fire hazard. They have extended my factory warranty on the engine to 84 months or 100,000 miles. They also said that I would be receiving more info in about 60 days concerning the cause of the problems. Mileage so far is between 23 and 28 mpg with little highway driving. Have just passed the 1000 mile mark. The car is sonoma red with charcoal interior.
  • callie7831callie7831 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 05 2.5s. Only been 3 weeks now, but the bad part is it already has 50k+ miles on it, so I realize the vehicle will begin to need parts replaced, however I bought Niaan because of its supposed dependablity.
    Uhh... anywayz... my 05 just recently, today, would not start. I unlocked the door with the remote key, sat down, put the key in, turned it, and it was completley Dead.
    So I thought, hummm, must be the battery. Went to Auto Zone, 60 bucks later, nothing!? The dash wont even light up?
    People have complained that the car alarm is the problem. The electrical system is over complicated. Car alarms do nothing as it is, so I'm cool with disconnecting it and just being able to lock the damn car.
    I'm very dissapointed in the vehicle.
    I have an 05 Altima 2.5s. 50K+ miles on it already. Geez, I know, put on by previous owner.
    Anyway, today the electrical went out. I walked outside, unlocked the door with the remote key, sat down, turned the key, and nothing. The dash flickered. There was a soft eeeeee sound where the turn over engine sound should be. And the Key is stuck in the ignition! The steering wheel turns but it wont release the key.
    Yep, it must be the battery, so 60 bucks later at Auto Zone, still nothing! I tested both batteries for charge. The original was low, the new was high.
    Taking it back to dealer tomorrow. Thank goodness I bought the extended warrentee! Bought it 40 days ago, so this is a complete dissapointment.
    Question, Is the car alarm the faulty problem in the first place? I could live without it for sure.
    I have the same problem! Unbelievable! My 05 electrical is faulty. Won't start the car. I replaced the battery and I'm wondering if I should disconnect the alarm. It does nothing the keep your car from being stolen anyway, right? I don't need it.
    Did your problem go away... rather not recently return?
    Thanks

mc7831cm@aol.com
    monique
    Nissan's working frantically to discover the cause of these engine's excessive oil consumption issues. But, until you hear further from Nissan for their ultimate corrective action (under warranty), keep a VERY close check on your engine oil level. Top up as necessary to prevent mechanical damage and potential fire hazard. Your owner's manual details checking the engine oil level and topping up. Sadly, owner involvement with basic maintenance skills seems to be an increasingly lost art in the U.S. Nissan, like other Asian car manufacturers, devotes space in their owner's manuals to basic maintenance procedures. GM, on the other hand, treats its domestic product buyers as if they're idiots. Maybe GM's right...
  • smiley10smiley10 Member Posts: 24
    I recently had my rear windshield replaced however I noticed a small rattling noise coming from the rear of the car (window) which I never heard before. Any idea what is causing this problem or is it because window was just replaced and needs to settle. Should I call glass company to come back out.
    I have the same problem. 2005 altima 51K+ miles on it by previous owner. Yesterday, I came outside and it was dead, so I went and got a new battery, it got worse? No dash lights, nothing. Like there was no battery.
    It seems to me that the problem is electrical and bad fuses. I have only just made my first payment, very dissapointing and embarrising.
    Is your problem intermittent still? What did your dealer say?
    Thanks

mc7831cm@aol.com
    monique
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi! Welcome to the Forums.

Some helpful hints: Don't post your e-mail in a public forum. You could get lots of spam that way. Put your e-mail address in your profile for others to contact you.

Also, try not to post multiple questions in multiple posts without hearing some answers first. You are more likely to get responses that way.

best

MrShiftright
    Host
  • dulce2dulce2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a simliar problem, I try to hit the remote the lights used to flicker but nothing, i hear the locks clicking, and sometimes it won't even lock with the remote I replace the battery in the remote but still the same !! any advise helllllp!! I have a 98 nissan altima gle
  • toynissantoynissan Member Posts: 1
    For the past 3 weeks I have been battling with nissan about the cat problem in my 02 altima. They replaced my engine but want me to pay for the cat. Is there really a recall because they are telling me that they are replacing it because I'm a good customer? If so, where can I get the info? I've been looking for a week now.
    Catalytic converters are covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty for 8 yrs./80,000 miles. If you're under the time/mileage limit, contact the EPA. They'd like to hear from you about Nissan's balking.
  • chris65chris65 Member Posts: 2
    My factory-installed alarm has started sounding for no reason whenever it feels like it. Dealer has checked doors, hood and trunk actuators, but now wants $250+ to check all the wiring to maybe find the problem. Is there any way to just disconnect the thing? They say no becuase its all tied in to the whole electrical system. I can't afford big bucks to fix this, would rather live without alarm and automatic locks!
  • axheataxheat Member Posts: 1
    Sometimes the horn of my Altima stays activated like for 5 seconds or more when I try to put the alarm. Sometimes the problems is severe, it stays 20 seconds or more. It also happened once while I was driving and I tried to use the horn; Why is this happening?? :surprise:
  • bluechevy3bluechevy3 Member Posts: 1
    Recently my check engine light came on in my 2000 Altima GXE. After taking to a local Nissan dealer, I was told there was a vacuum leak causing the car to run lean, and that I needed a new intake gasket.. The gasket was inexpensive, (seems like around $10) However, the labor to install was over $550. I was rather surprised I was having this issue (since foreign cars are often touted for their reliability and low maintenance) and since the car had less than 60,000 miles and had always been maintained very well. I took it to my shade tree mechanic for 1/2 the cost, however, he forgot to reset my Check Engine light. Since then I've also had to replace my thermostat. Is this a common problem with this car? Also, is it possible to reset the Check Engine light w/o the OBD II scanner?? Thanks in advance!
  • shailbshailb Member Posts: 1
    Lopez, i too am facing this problem with my 1996 altima with 12000 miles. Were you able to fix this issue ?
    I was told to replace the crank sensor but like you noted this may not fix the problem.. Could you please let me know on this ?

-Shailesh.
  • wasa02wasa02 Member Posts: 3
    I see you are all talking about Altima's but I had an '02 Maxima with the exact same problems, check engine light, horrible noise during acceleration, dealer claiming there wasn't enough oil so it was my fault. I had extended warranty up to 100k and the problems started around 68k. I had to fight extra hard with the dealership because I am a female :mad: but once I found a good service department (3 dealerships later + 10 months), they determined it needed a new engine. If the car is consuming oil to quickly there is absolutely NOTHING that will fix it except to replace the engine. Demand a new engine. They will need to do some compression tests to submit to corporate. I also demanded to be reimbursed for anything beyond an oil change that had been done to the car in the last 10 months since it all related to a warranty covered issue. I was getting my new engine last Tuesday but the car was totalled (not my fault) on Saturday. :cry: Go figure! GET UR NEW ENGINES PEOPLE!!!! :);)
  • wasa02wasa02 Member Posts: 3
    The problem doesn't typically start until 60k plus miles. I had on 02 Maxima and the engine had to be replaced at 80k because it was consuming oil to quickly. Nothing fixs the problem except to replace the engine. The engines have also caught fire but very rarely. You will put alot of miles on the car before the problem arises. Just keep very good records as to all the services that are done to the car. Don't trust the dealership to do it.
  • richtexrichtex Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Altima and am experiencing the same thing. It sputters like it's going to stall but doesn't. Did you get it resolved?
  • jmaxwell3333jmaxwell3333 Member Posts: 14
    I just got a letter stating excessive oil consumption. With 2950mi I checked my level, no oil. towed it to dealer, first of all they said, the oil is black, the engine needs replacing, and one is on the way from Japan. Today they said, we are topping up the oil, let you drive it for 700 miles then recheck. So what happens now the engine is toast I am expected to drive it?? I don't think so. Is there anyone out there that has experienced this problem? I didn't check my oil before my first service and why should Ihave. I believe the damage is done and will seek further action if their final answer is, live with it, it's not a problem.
    Have you taken it to the dealer? What was their resolve? Is your oil low? At 1000miles how ridiculous is it to have to check your engine oil every 700 miles?? That's why you bought a new car, to not to have to check the oil that often. Email me to see if we can do something together or at least compare note. Thanks Jo
    but anyone who believes that a new car shouldn't require routine fluid level checks during initial break-in is living in a fantasy world of self-imposed arrogance. (The exception cars are big-buck performance models that are named after famous European race courses or famous, long-dead perfectionist engineers and which cars are specifically broken-in under controlled speeds and load at their respective factories. Sorry - mass-market Nissans, Hondas, Hyundais, KIAs, and Toyotas aren't among 'em.) FACT: a new engine during break-in WILL consume motor oil at an increased rate until the piston rings seat to a proper seal in their cylinder bores. FACT: if a new car is driven "spiritedly" during break-in, its engine WILL consume oil at an even more excessive rate. (There's a reason owner's manuals instruct owners to take it easy for the first several hundred miles.) NO engine operated daily, regardless of age, should have its diptstick pulled less than weekly as a check for proper oil level. (Some even advocate at every gas fill-up. Remember when pump jockeys checked your oil, water, and air? Shoot, how many actually remember pump jockeys who wore quasi-military uniforms and caps, and addressed you as, "M'am" and "Sir"?) ANY engine during a long trip should have its engine oil level checked at least DAILY - preferably when hot after the engine has been shut off for a minute or so. Most of the time a check won't show any serious depletion (and once broken-in, often won't show any discernable depletion at all), but it's dangerous (as some of you have now found out the hard way) to ASSUME that will be the case. Unfortunately Nissan has an aknowledged problem and some of you were caught flatfooted while the company is still sorting out the cause and developing an effective remedy. Nissan will likely treat most of you to rebuilt engines (except in cases of clear owner negligence - and those of you who are denied may still prevail if you're willing to hire a lawyer and go to court), but had you practiced just the basic common sense checks presented in your owner's manuals, the mechanical damage you've experienced WOULD'VE been avoided until a dealer-level fix could've been applied at minimum expense and time tied up. I wish I could, but I know I can't, help those of you who've already suffered engine damage. This post is a heads-up to newbs joining the discussion who've noticed excessive motor oil consumption and haven't suffered engine damage yet. You folks still have a very good chance of avoiding ANY engine damage while you wait to be contacted by Nissan corporate on how to proceed with the free fix.
  • beautyphotosbeautyphotos Member Posts: 1
    nissan was really nice to me about changing the motor in my brand new nissan altima with 6000 mile on it, but i went to the dealership with a positive attitude and they got me a rental car and fixed the problem. I am really dissapointed that this happened and i would gladly join in on a class action to protect other from having this happen to any other person ever again. I would rather have a completely new car (that is what i thought i bought)but nissan is not walmart, you cannot get another just because you dont like it or it dont work, the way i understand things is that you have to prove it is a lemon and give the dealership a chance to fix it before the legal process can began, and that takes a while, by that time your car could be paid off, just take good care of the piece of crap and trade it in in one year and hope the next one is a better piece of equipment.
    On carfax.com there is a girl with the same problem at 700 miles. Sorry to disagree with the other guy on this forum, it is not caused from a lead foot while breaking the car in...it's identified as a problem from Nissan and they have temporarily put a stop on sales of Jan06 to May 06 manufactured Altimas. OK beautyphotos, I have an attorney and I am going for it, if you want to join me, let me know how we can contact each other to get the ball rolling. Sorri to hear it happened
    If you're referring to me as "the other guy on this forum", I NEVER indicated that these recent 4-cyl Nissan engine excessive oil consumption problems WERE the result of leadfooting. I referenced that leadfooting could exacerbate any normally operating new engine's oil consumption during break-in. ;)
  • maggiecatmaggiecat Member Posts: 1
    HELP! My '02 Altima has 70,300 miles on it and since 65,000 miles, it's been making a horrible noise during acceleration, too. It's burning oil and I don't know why. So I can't go more than 2500 miles without an oil change. Actually, at that point, there is barely any oil to change. Anyway, I called the dealer and he pretty much said the engine would have to be replaced. Well, wouldn't you know that I am no longer under warranty. NO CAR SHOULD BE DOING THIS AT 70,000 MILES!! So, I don't know what to do. How much is a new engine? Oh, and one more thing, since 36,000 miles, my "Check engine" light has been on and no one can figure out why. Nissan did a diagnostic test and told me they couldn't find a problem. Maybe this problem started back at 36,000 miles? Advice anyone?
    Sorry to hear about your excessive oil consumption problems maggiecat. You might want to clipboard the entire text of your post above and repost it on BobIsTheOilGuy in the "Car & Truck Gasoline Engine Oil" discussion. Be prepared for an earful - the "gurus" over there relish any opportunity to discuss and advise about oil-related issues.
  • danabuforddanabuford Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same issues with my 2006 as well. I just cannot beleive the problems with a car with only 1200 miles on it!! As far as the "every car should have its oil checked" {at every fill up????}, if I had wanted that, I would have bought a 1968 Camero!!! I've had Honda's and Toyota's all my life, never a major problem or even a recall!! What was I thinking to switch to Nissan? I really just want out of my lease. I have two children under the age of 4 in this car, what if it catches on fire? What if it burns down my garage and house? I had my lawyer write Nissan a letter, I am sure it will languish on their desks with all the others. What is our recourse?
  • brandy06brandy06 Member Posts: 7
    I am not sure if you got the recall letter! I got recall letter the other day for my 2006 Nissan Altima stating to check my oil every 700 miles until the dealership can find the problem with the car. If you don't check it or anything it can result in a fire. Yea I am sure you are just as pissed as I was when I got the letter. So if you didn't recieve it I would contact your dealer you bought it through.