Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• larrychowlarrychow Member Posts: 13
    Hi Rjas,, you never have to sand down electric contacts unless they are burnt and rough. They sometimes have a conductive coating (CU?) on them. I work on High Voltage equipment at substations..All we do is just wipe them down with isoproponal alcohol or rubbing alcohol, and if required use an eraser from a pencil. This is all the maintenance required..Larry
  • mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    I have not used chains with the 235/60-16 tires. In Georgia we don't need them. My guess is that there would be a problem with them; and, as I remember, Honda doesn't want you to use chains even on the stock tires.

With the 235's, there is no rubbing at all and the ride is much better due to the wider profile of the tire. They currently have about 58,000 miles on them. When I replace them, it will most definitely be with this same slightly larger size. The ride and handling is far superior to the stock tires.
  • tjutju Member Posts: 20
    Just a brief post to share some painfully gained knowledge: If you have a major repair expense for your Odyssey (or at least one for which Honda feels SOME responsibility) and you are out of warranty, Honda probably will pay some of the cost. I have discovered that some people in my situation (i.e., dying transmission) have paid $0 and some have paid $700, while I am paying $1400 (the full cost is $4500). How much you pay seems to depend on which Honda sales district you live in and, mostly, on how much your local dealership is willing to go to bat for you. Although the service manager at my local Honda dealership (Apple Tree Honda in the Asheville area of NC) knew that others in my situation were paying nothing or, at least, much less, he was unwilling to recommend any level of "customer participation" less than $1400 to the Honda district representative. It's too bad that you can't know this sort of thing about a dealership up front so that customers could avoid the less cooperative ones.
  • stangeljstangelj Member Posts: 74
    mschafer, I agree the circumference of 225/60 is 1.4% smaller than the OEM 215/65 and that it will have a small impact on engine revs and accuracy of the speedo. My speedo already reads about 7% higher than what my van actually travels at (grrr!) so I figure a 1.4% addition to that won't make any difference. As for the +0 sizing, I think that's still the right term--it is the term the tire manufacturers use for what I did. Plus sizing means running a lower profile tire on a larger rim. +1 would be on a 17" rim for the Ody. If you run a lower profile tire on the same size rim then my understanding is that's called +0. As far as ride height goes, the sidewall on the 225/60 is half a cm (less than a 1/4 inch) shorter than the 215/65, so again, no significant difference.
    If you would have put on the 235/60-16's you would have compensated slightly in the correct direction for your high reading speedo. P.S. Mine did too.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I would go to the owner of said Honda dealer and give him the facts and tell him the next vehicle I buy will be somewhere where the customer means more than he does here. I would also let him know that you will complain to every newsgroup near and far and to anybody else who will listen what they did to you there. I have found that the squeeky wheel gets the grease.
  • edwinfongedwinfong Member Posts: 25
    What brand did you get, how are they doing as far as wear and noise?
    Did you consider other brands before you decided on the ones you got?
  • stangeljstangelj Member Posts: 74
    Yes, I considered that. I was concerned about putting a tire 2 cm wider on the same rim though. I'm not sure what the limit is. It sounds like it's worked out for you.
  • pmarvinpmarvin Member Posts: 25
    We have a 2000 EX with 97k miles. We live in El Paso, TX, but the ODY has been driven between Tucson, AZ and Rhode Island and Florida, and many parts in between. At about 57k, the Check Engine and TCS lights came on. The independent shop couldn't figure out the problem without much troubleshooting and recommended we take it to the (hated) dealer. The service manager told us the EGR valve was clogged. $114.50 later, the lights were cleared and haven't come on again. The car didn't feel different when the lights were on and feels no different after the work. BTW, in the 97k miles, we have changed the oil and filter about every 5k, the transmission oil every 30k, and the air filter once. That's it!!
    Regards,
    Phil
  • canadaodyownercanadaodyowner Member Posts: 16
    Can someone please advise what's the proper wheel nuts torque specs for a 2000 ody? Is the specs different for the LX steel rims vs. the EX alloys? I have the factory original michelin symmetry on EX rims, and michelin arctic alpin snow tires on LX steel. Thanks.
    EdwinFong - I put on Michellin Symmetry tires. I would have prefered the X-One's, but they were not available in the 235/60-16 size.

Stangelj - They have worked out very well, and the ride is far superior. Same size will be used to replace them The tires have about 55,000 miles. The car has 119,000 miles.

Canadaodyowner - The lug nut torques are in the owner's manual. I don't know about the steel rims, but the alloy rims are 80 ft-lbs.

Pmarvin - With the new Honda Warranty Extension on the EGR valve, you might want to see if you can get a refund on the $114.50 you were charged. Also, Air Filter and AC Filter are supposed to be changed every 30,000 miles. ATF every 45,000 miles.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    According to her husband, they got between 20 and 25 MPG at each refilling when they went on a 2600 mile trip to Vancouver BC via I-84 in Utah and Idaho, I-5 in Washington, Oregon and California and I-80 in Nevada. Meanwhile, our GC SE has AVERAGED 26.0 to 27.5 MPG on 6 different round trips of 1380 miles.
    I test drove their nice 2001 Ody EX after taking their friends to the airport August 2, 2001 when it had 3677 miles on odometer. I immediately drove our 99 GC SE on same drive when our GC SE had 30,809 miles on odometer.
    Results: Could tell very little difference in performance, noise, handling. Our GC w/3.3L V6 is quicker off the line to 25 MPH but the Ody w/3.5L is quicker 60 to 80 MPH. Each has unique, nice features. I would be just as happy with an Odyssey as we are with our GC SE but would get the Ody LX as we do not want power sliding doors or other extra features of Ody EX over Ody LX except for the cast wheels that we also have on our GC SE.
    Thanks for your advice. I went through my owner's manual from cover to cover and found the wheel nuts torque of 80 ft-lbs mentioned in the "changing a flat tire" section. However, I am still wondering:
    1) does 80 ft-lbs apply to regular wheels as well as the emergency 'donuts'?
    2) 80 ft-lbs sounds kind of low for a big vehicle like ody, I think most mid-size sedans have specs of 80 to 105 ft-lbs.

Recently I bought a good quality 1/2" drive Craftsman torque wrench because I want to perform simple maintenance like tire changeover myself. It appears that last time the dealer's service people torqued my wheel nuts at over 100 ft-lbs! worse than that, I am also convinced that not all nuts were torqued with equal pressure!
    I think you will find that steel wheels will take about 105 lbs. of torque where an alloy wheel needs less do to the softer metal. My alloys on my Tracker 4X4 only require 75 lbs. Local dealer cranked them to 105 and had to replace one as it cracked. Than again my new motorhome requires 450 lbs. of torque.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    FWIW, I was advised 80 ft-lbs. on both alloy and steel by someone who has the Helm's service manual. Remember that overtorqueing lugs can lead to warped rotors in addition to stressing the rims. Double check with your dealer if you are uncomfortable with that spec.
    No question that tire dealers rarely bother with the proper torque. I have to remind mine at every rotation to use the 80 ft-lb torque stick in his impact wrench. 80 ft-lbs is more than adequate. I'd sure hate to try breaking any more than that loose somewhere along side of a road using that puny little short handled wrench suplied with the vehicle.

FWIW, the steel wheels on my Gelaendewagen call for 120 ft-lbs of torque, but the optional alloy wheels are considerably less.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Automotive news lists production and from the latest figures I would not be holding my breath on this helping supply issues. They must really be tooling up slowly. I think total production thru 1 Dec was 353 if I read it right. All these went to SE Honda dealers. Anyone get an American (US) built one yet?
    INKY
  • beaulierbeaulier Member Posts: 9
    Bought a 2000 Odyssey EX in Canada 2 years ago. Am a resident of the US and would like to change the HVAC readout to indicate degrees in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. Does anybody know how to switch? Thank you.
  • edgetaedgeta Member Posts: 32
    OK, help settle a question. When using the "Keyless" remote to lock the doors, you press it one time and the doors lock, press it again and the horn honks. The question, does it lock the doors and turn the alarm on at the first press or does it lock the doors the first time and then set the alarm the second time you push it?
    It should be the same as my Accord. Hit the remote once and it locks and arms the security system. Further, anytime you lock all the doors with the door button, switch or key, it also arms the system.

The beep and flash with the second push is what I call the "hey idiot, you already did that" sound. I do it all the time just to reassure myself that it really is armed.
    Just push it once and look through the drivers side window and there should be a red light blinking by the speedo. Even though it's not in the owners manual that is your light showing Alarm set.
  • jasoninwijasoninwi Member Posts: 9
    The first time you push the lock button, it locks the doors - and if you leave it, 15 seconds later the alarm system will activate all by itself. I guess if you push the button twice right away, you're probably just skipping the 15 second wait. Try it once, sit inside and lock it with the transmitter, then exit right away - no alarm. But do that after waiting 15 seconds, and you're garage will become an alarm horn echo chamber. Yes, I'm a geek who just had to try this out.

---
    Jason
    '02 Odyssey SS EX
    '99 CR-V Blue EX
  • don96don96 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know how long it is supposed to take to install VES in 2001 ody? Dealer is charging for 5 hours is that reasonable?
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    Fisher-Price has a latch seat out for about a year now. We really like it. The exterior steel bar makes us feel better when we are forced to put it against a door. Just, found out it was CR top choice. Babies"R"Us carries it in my part of the country.
  • shellymeister2shellymeister2 Member Posts: 115
    Yes, a 5 hour time estimate is very fair. I had one installed along with other accessories, and it actually took about 5 hours to install the VES. If you look at the installation instructions (posted on the Handaccessories.com site)you will see how time consuming the installation process is.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    OK, folks. When the dealer says a Honda Odyssey has been shipped, how long is the travel time?
    I ask since I finally found one available that has shipped (Red Rock EX). Anyone else have this color. Any opinions on it?
    INKY
  • akin67akin67 Member Posts: 62
    My dealer told me that my Odyssey is scheduled to be manufactured on 12/11/2001. I live in NJ. How long doe sit take to build and how long to ship? Basically when should I realistically expect to get it.
  • dinh_henrydinh_henry Member Posts: 19
    My dealer told me my SS EX-L will be built on Dec.10th and will be arriving around xmas time frame.
  • bburton1bburton1 Member Posts: 395
    Just read a NYT article which said the plant was now on line several months ahead of schedule to meet demand. The article further stated their annual capacity was 120K Ody's and 120K V6 engines. Thought they were also producing their SUV at this site also. Anybody know. Also what were Oddy sales in the past year-wonder if the Alabama plant will begin to meet demand.
  • johnd15johnd15 Member Posts: 41
    Have an 02 Ody EX with 1000 miles on it... spend a lot of time driving between 45 & 50 mph. My RPMs are around 1400-1500 at these speeds, which seems low to me. However, I've been driving a manual for years so perhaps this is normal these days. Mileage is great; my lowest mpg has been 21 (best 27) with mixed driving, so I'm assuming it's geared to run low. Any comments from other 02 owners?

Have the Red Rock color. Really like it, especially on sunny days. Kind of flat on cloudy days though. Also have a subwoofer which improves the sound quite a bit for those not happy with the stock stereo.
    ...I've heard will be ramping up to 120K Ody units annully most likely by spring and Ontario will wind down on Odys. That capacity will be used for new Honda SUV and Acura MDX.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    When Honda tell us that we have a "build date" it is a period of time that is 4 days. They will say, from 12-4 to 12-8 for example. The next thing that we see is the "ship date". This means when the van is placed on the train. There can be a period of time between the build date and the ship date as long as a week or so. Once the train is underway, we then get a delivery date. This is also a little misleading because the Ody can sit on the rail cars for a couple of days til they get unloaded and then transported.

Here in Maryland, when I get a "build date" I can usually figure about two weeks after the last day of the build date. If you are lucky and your car gets built the first day of the build date, and shipped immediately then delivered to the dealership...maybe 10 days.

Jerry
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    begin with 5....

Jerry
  • jnash2jnash2 Member Posts: 31
    My 02 EX rpms about the same. I thought it was low too, but think of the gas we're saving. That's probably the most fuel efficient way. As long as the horses still kick in when I hit the gas it's ok with me. I'm not a mechanic, but this seems normal.
    Not using the same paint as the outside in all the door jambs and hatch jamb. Why? To save 10$ per car?
  • vikki26vikki26 Member Posts: 11
    Yep, I'm a little giddy. My 02 Ody SS LX is waiting for me at the dealer only 50 miles away. I pick up Thursday, so I promise a report on the deal this weekend. Looks straight up so far.

A little help: I need the checklist referred to so many times to go over the van. Can someone who has it bookmarked please post? I would be most appreciative!
    Thanks
    Vikki, t-minus 48 hours and counting :)
    Just want to thank all of you that helped out with my question on wheel torque over the past weekend. I also received a reply from the friendly folks at tirerack.com(justin@tirerack.com) -- 80 ft-lbs for both LX and EX wheels.
  • richcolorichcolo Member Posts: 81
    I don't know when they started, or why, but I do know that on my Blue (Make that Dark Velvet Pearl) 1999 Odyssey, only the paint on the exterior is metallic. The paint on the jambs, door edges, underside of the hood, inside of spare tire well, etc. is a similar, but not same, shade of dark blue - solid color. So they've been doing it for awhile.
  • hondabobhondabob Member Posts: 4
    Vikki --

Here you go: <<http://www.1netweb.com/checklist.htm>>

What did you get for a "deal"? Any specifics would be helpful!

Enjoy...

• jmnygaardjmnygaard Member Posts: 48
    Thanks, I may consider getting that, for I would feel safer having her in the middle of the van.

I almost had a wreck today. I saw smoke from the brakes of a car about 3 cars in front of me, then the brake lights of the other cars. Luckily, there was a very wide shoulder on the highway and I was able to pull over there. The little one kept on singing "The Ants Go Marching One by One" at the top of her lungs, but it took me a while to stop shaking and crying.
  • fast93serfast93ser Member Posts: 11
    I took some pics of the plant on my trip to Atlanta just before Thanksgiving:

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000843.html

• crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    glad to hear that your experience turned out for the best. I've been in a similar situation and can't say I enjoy the adrenaline rush.
  • clone24clone24 Member Posts: 6
    I've been mulling over purchasing an Ody for a couple years and of course each year the colors change. I had previously liked the dark green color but it seems to have been replaced with evergreen pearl - which I'm not all that hot about. My question is, what are the opinions on either the white or granite green metallic? I'm not able to see one of these (2002s) in person so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage.

Thanks
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The dealer I visited said white had a shorter wait list than any other color, so I guess they are not popular.

I own a white Miata, and can tell you it's a royal pain to keep it clean. It looks dirty after any rain, and dust/pollen shows even a day after you wash it.

Black is also hard to keep clean. Try silver or gold.

-juice
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Caught you in the act! Give in, buy momma the van and get it over with. ;-) The local dealer got my $250 yesterday on a Granite Green (looks grey to me) EX.

Steve
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Maybe, if she's pregnant with twins. She is expecting. :-)

I'd struggle to accept paying MSRP. She wants leather because it's easier to clean, so that's about $29k, right about at our price limit.

-juice
    fibber is right. Buy her the Ody. Remember, if momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy!! :-)

Seriously, we got our white EX when our second came along. Paying MSRP was a real sticking point for me as well. But once I stopped over analyzing it, I realized MSRP was a competitive price. Many of the other vans out there are very nice, but it came down to the magic seat and Honda experience. We have that seat up and down at least 3 times a week and we've owned Hondas since 1991. Ours hasn't had any of the door or transmission problems some others have noted.

If the price is right at your limit, don't you have a little topless toy you could trade in as well!!?? Just Kidding. Whatever decision you make, don't forget the most important thing - being a good daddy to a healthy child.
    The dark colors look great when they are perfectly clean and waxed, which is a big job on this big van. I like the Granite Green, especially the way it looks at night under the street lights, but my wife talked me into Silver. A lot of people believe that it the color that hides the dirt the best till you get around to washing it. IMO. The shortest wait seems to be White. Then Gold. The most wanted is the GG.
  • gregariangregarian Member Posts: 4
    I live in the Western suburbs of Chicago and had a heck of a time finding a 1999 3 years ago. I decided to try the dealers within a 100 mile radius or so of me and ended up calling Schroeder Motors in Benton Harbor Michigan ( About 100 miles away). Suprisingly they had an unallocated Blue EX in transit and sold it to me at MSRP and were absolutely above board. FAST FORWARD TO NOW -- I loved my Odyssey so much I knew the 2002 engine was a must giving I haul fairly heavy stuff around and again started calling the locals in Chicago. Most were fairly arrogant and truly didn't seem to give a damn and demand is still brisk in the Metropolitan areas and will have another customer 10 minutes later. I called a few in southern Illinois who would sell at 500-750 below MSRP and then gave Schroeder in Benton Harbor (Mark Sanders) 616-926-6181 a shot to match the deal. They agreed and I made a deal again over the phone but below MSRP. They took a $1000 refundable deposit and told me that they would locate or order what ever I was looking for. I actually like the Taffeta White so went for that.

I ordered dealer installed options last time on the 1999 like fender well trim, floor mats, mud guards but have decided to order that stuff from HandA-Accessories.com (oh the have the plastic covers to cover the seat receptacles when you remove the center row) and install the mud guards, wind guard and rest by myself and keep the $300 savings in my pocket rather than fund the dealers retirement program (which will suffer as soon as production doubles).

I do love the Odyssey even with the inconveniences of having to hunt for them.

Thanks for listening,

Greg

Good luck and

I would like to know what people would recommend paying for a 7yr/100k warranty.
  • a6biturboa6biturbo Member Posts: 5
    Greg said:
    >Good luck and
    >I would like to know what people would recommend >paying for a 7yr/100k warranty.

I paid $875 for the HondaCare 7/100/0 on my 02 just tonight. Got the SSEXL for $600 under MSRP. Waited about 2 weeks.