Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    my message about doing own oil change really brough out some comments.

anyway, before anyone replied i did the change. i like some others on this board are avid auto hobbiests. i have been changing oil and filters on cars for over 40 years, and on boats for about 10.

you don't need to jack up the altima at all, and a little care to remove the inner fender liner after turning the wheels to the right is all that it takes.

of course, there are many proper options to discard used oil and filters.

as far as time is concerned, it takes less time and is much more convenient to do my own oil and filter, and rotate tire, do brake jobs, etc, than to bring it in and leave it and go back and pick up, etc.

by the way, the last time i brough my nissan murano in for replacement of the rear hatch struts they did me a favor and did a courtesy inspection. they forgot to put the oil dipstick in all the way and oil was leaking out of the dipstick hole and dripping down under the engine.

i agree with comments from others, that over the years i have caught many small problems with cars by closely looking at them, workingn on them and making sure that my ride was safe, reliable and current with all required services.

that is my take on this subject rr70
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    by the way, the last time i brough my nissan murano in for replacement of the rear hatch struts they did me a favor and did a courtesy inspection. they forgot to put the oil dipstick in all the way and oil was leaking out of the dipstick hole and dripping down under the engine.

I had a garage that didn't tighten the drain plug all the way. luckily it didn't come out, but when I got the oil changed the next time (at a different place) they showed me how it was about 2 threads from coming out :surprise:

I think everybody does the curtsey inspections now. Personally, I don't think its so much that they care, but more about wanting to find work. I think with cars as reliable as they are, the repair business isn't what it used to be. Anyhow, for someone like me its a real blessing. I don't know much about cars (mechanically speaking) and rely on those inspections to stay on top of things.

As for the whole oil change thing, each to his own I say. For me, I don't enjoy it, and it isn't worth the time, or hassle to save a few bucks. but I can totally understand how somebody who enjoyed doing that kind of stuff would want to do it.
  • jft26jft26 Member Posts: 35
    Thank you.
  • scoobygeorgescoobygeorge Member Posts: 2
    We just bought a 2008 2.5 SL which came with manufacturer sunroof and defector.

After taking delivery of the vehicle we noticed that driving on the highway over 60 MPH there is a hissing noise coming from the sunroof area. Sliding the cover shut (so you cannot see out) helps but still apparent.

We took the car back and they kept it for a day. They claimed it was a mirror producing the noise but on the way home it still was coming from the sunroof.

The car is going back today and we hope they will repair it. I was hoping to know if there are any known issues with the current model Altima and sunroof. I did a search and could not find one.

Thanks!

George :mad:
  • lindseyj6lindseyj6 Member Posts: 1
    Was this info helful? I am thinking of replacing the whole passenger side mirror myself. The auto shop wants way too much for just changing the part. Let me know how easy or hard it was. Thanks.
  • karpediemkarpediem Member Posts: 46
    If you want to replace the whole mirror, it's very very easy. I just replaced my normal mirrors for the ones with blinkers and defoggers. I have regular dark slate ones if somebody wants to buy them!

Open your door all the way and just pull back on the triangle plastic piece where the mirror attaches ON THE INSIDE OF THE DOOR. It will pop off and you can wiggle it free. Then there are just 3 bolts exposed to unscrew and the whole side mirror comes off. Really simple.
    I have an 06 Altima purchased new in Sept 2006. I brought the front tire feathering issue to the Dealer's attention in Feb 2007 and they re-aligned the car under warranty at that time .... @ 2200 miles. In Sept 2007 the Dealer re-aligned the car again under warranty and rotated the tires. In Dec 2007 the Dealer once again re-aligned the car and rotated the tires.. Well, here I am once again with the same issue only more pronounced since I now has 23K miles on the car. The tires are now making some noise. Has anyone experienced this problem? The tires look like new but the feathering is pronounced. I am very annoyed that I may have to replace these tires so soon. Sounds like the issue is with the tires and not the mechanical aspect of the car. Please advise. Thanks!
    This might help you understand feathering a bit more:

Various Types of Tire Wear and Their Causes

As you can see, doing an alignment on an already feathered tire is a waste of time.
    Thank you. I figured that it was a waste of time to do the alignments too but that was all the Dealer was offering. I guess I was hoping that the feathering would not progress after the alignments but I guess that was a mistake. Anyway, I will bring the car into the Dealer service once again and see what they say now. Thank you once again.
    Once the tire is feathered, it's toast. There is no saving it. It will be serviceable to a point but it will make noise. The tire got feathered because it was dragged sideways (that's an exaggeration but the general idea). Basically your dealer was wasting his time and yours, that's true. If you can actually easily see the feathering, the tire should be discarded and the problem corrected before installing new tires. Also you can't do a good alignment with feathered tires in the first place.

So the way to go is a) install new tires b) inspect for bushing wear c) align the car.
  • mtl2mtl2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi , i would like to know if there's a fuse for the cruise control since the set light blink and the manual say that if the set light blinks it mean a malfunction and the car has to be brought to a nissan dealer so i would like to know if there's or not since the dealer asked me 80$ just to check.

thanks
    The dealer has to read the trouble code to isolate the problem. It could be the switch, servo, relay, speed sensor, etc.---all are part of the cruise control system.

I doubt if it's a fuse as this diagram doesn't even show one:

http://aycu03.webshots.com/image/20802/2004006796363378696_rs.jpg

So it must be part of another fused circuit. No harm checking all the fuses though.

Ask the dealer to apply the diagnostic charge to the total cost of repair. They might do that.
  • mtl2mtl2 Member Posts: 2
    ok thanks , it's because i want to see how much is the cost for the reparations and only the estimation price is 80$ which i find huge so that's why i wanted to if my local garage can find the problem by being it a fuse or something minors.
  • ndiboyndiboy Member Posts: 36
    I have 2002 2.5l model and noticed that the fan does not work all the time rather it comes on and goes off.Is this normal?
    The fan belt pulley seems to be wobbling, what do i do?
  • mwiesen1mwiesen1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Altima. I just has my oil service at 14,500 miles. My tires were rotated the oil service previous. The service department tried to sell me on a 15,000 mile maintenance package at the tune of $475. How much of this recommended service is truly needed? I want to keep my Altima in good condition and will budget for extra service in the next 3,000 miles. I don't want to pay for unnecessary service. I understand the service department works on commission. I just want to be smart and not taken advantage of. To the folks in the know, please let me know what I really, truly need to do to keep my car in good order. Write back. Thanks
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    The answer in 5 words or less...They're attempting to "hose" you.

Compare what they wish to do with the suggested services in the owner's manual.
  • At 15K you don't need much of anything. I made a maintenance list based on the Owner's Manual and a lifetime of common sense. I also use a reputable private mechanic (get one), I use synthetic oil and change it every 3 to 4k, rotate tires every 7k, and replace tranny fluid every 25k. Other fluids, filters, and tune-ups per manual, unless the intervals seem too long. I have my mechanic do a complete safety check every oil change. Belts, hose, brakes, suspension, etc. These intervals can vary with different people, but they have worked great for me on all three vehicles, including my 94 Altima with 143,000 miles, and all are running great with only routine maintenance to date. Routine maintenance to me at 143k includes things like a starter, timing chain, etc. Vehicles need no oil added between changes and start every time. My daughter-in-law is now looking for a local private mechanic. She finally got tired of paying 2 to 3 times a private mechanics rate for the same work at her dealer.

Good Luck,

Ken
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Actually, unless you drive in really harsh environments or do a LOT os stop and go short trips, true synthetic oil is good for a minimum of 5000 miles between changes, and 7500 if your driving is primarily in trips of 25+ miles.
  • Good point,

I just like the shorter intervals. Gives me a sense of more security on engine life. I have a 2002 Lexus RX300 that I started on synthetic when first bought. At 109K the oil is still a very light yellow after 4k. I feel this car will go 300K, with continued good maintenance.

Ken
  • skinsfan3skinsfan3 Member Posts: 78
    It is mys understanding that the timing chain does not require replacement. On most of my other cars, 60k was the magic number. I have a 2003 with 65,000 miles onit. Looks better than the day I picked it up. I always change oil every 3,000 miles. Even though the manual says more. I also change the air filter around 10,000. Doing that is an easy job. Loosen a clamp and a couple of clips. I also have to check the water in my battery. Ye gods, I thought that would never be the case. Why Nissan decided to go that way. Then, like the other advice you received, find a good mechanic. Although I wam ot the smartest person on the planet, I bought bumper-to-bumper when I got the car. From Geico. For next to nothing. That paid off when I needed a new alternator. Dealer's price was around $800. In the old days, I would make the change myself, but, as an old codger, these new engines tied to computers make me hesitant to go much further. I won't even dare the plugs. If you think your dealer wants too much $ for your maintenance check, wait until you get further down the line with mileage.
  • My son has been driving the Altima for the last 7/8 years at low mileage, so I don't remember amount the timing chain. But, chain is the key word. Without looking it up, I don't believe my Altima has a belt. So, it may go forever. Don't know if newer models are the same.

Ken
  • tarnmastertarnmaster Member Posts: 12
    All Nissan models have timing chains ... the Altima has always had chains, never a belt ... belts on most cars DO need changing at 60k, 90, or 105k, depending on the year and manufacturer ... chains need no maintenance but should be checked periodically because they can looen over the years and usually make a clicking sound when that happens ... I also change my 5W30 synthetic oil once a month ... the 1993 Nissan 240SX SE Convertible I gave my daughter had 288k miles when I gave it to her and had all original equpment except for radio, radio antennae motor, and radiator - even the AC still blew cold ... my '04 350Z Touring Roadster has 85k now and my goal is to get 500k on that engine ... Nissan makes incredibly reliable engines but they will go the extra mile if you do and take care of them ...
  • jlb57jlb57 Member Posts: 1
    My son-in-law is serving the US in the middle east as a civilian in Bahrain. He can start his car with no problems in the morning but the starter just turns over later in the day and will not start. It has 105,000 miles on it. The speedometer has also quit working. Any help with the starting and could the 2 be interrelated?

Thanks
    Beware the dealer that tells you that your Altima has a belt which iis to be changed. Rugman kc got it correct.
  • degdemsdegdems Member Posts: 1
    I got 2004 altima 2.5 4cyl. I was hearing as if the time chain was loose and making some noise inside and decided to open time chain cover and oil pan. I found out that the harmonic balancer gears were all broken. I took it off, when I took it off the shaft was moved. Now after I replaced the balancer put time chain how the guide book says the car won't start. There is no comprasion pressure. Some one tolled me that time chin is put back wrong so that the intake and exhaust valves are not opening or shut to make the pressure. This is a challenge for me, I have no idea how to find out if they are opening properly or not? Is there any body who can help with some idea?

Thanks
  • bear26bear26 Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

I have a 2006 Altima, 2.5 with 62000Km

Just recently have a 'service engine soon' light come on, and my mechanic hooked up the computer to it and it said Electronic Throttle Control P2101

Any ideas what this is and what is involved to fix it? Approx cost?

My mechanic cancelled the code to see if it would come back, a week later it's come back and of course he's away on holidays now.

Any help/feedback/comments/jokes are appreciated in advance!

Thanks

:-)
  • mjones8mjones8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a brand new 08 Altima with 4000 miles. The power steering often feels like it is no longer working and it is extremely hard to turn the vehicle. It is in the shop as I type and of course the techs can't duplicate the problem and say it is fine. Its not fine when when you can't turn the vehicle. Anyone out there have the same problem or idea what it could be. Thanks, MJ
  • rts1963rts1963 Member Posts: 1
    the latch will not work. how in the world can i open my hood with out it. i need help.
  • stan5677stan5677 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Altima and when driving the car shifts fine but when I stay at a steady speed the car does not idle down to the correct RPM range. For instance I'll be goin 60 and the car will idle between 2500 and 3000 RPMs what could be the problem.
  • gettoknowgettoknow Member Posts: 3
    I want to buy a used 05 altima. But becasue yesterday was raining, so i happened to find that the trunk is leaking water. The people told me that this car has an accident on the right side of the trunk.

The water leaking is not so severa, only the floor got wet a 10 inch area, directly under the top right side of the trunk cover.

Can anyone tell me what caused this? and how much will it cost to fix?

Thanks
    Tsk,Tsk for not checking carfax when you bouth the car. There have been so many flood cars on sale everywhere, hope that you are not the owner of one. Same goes for the background check.Here is my best guess about your problem. If the car was
    rear ended, they may not have installed the trunk deck properly. You can tell by comparing how both sides of the trunk line up with the body. Also, I think that your insurance company claims inspector would be willing to look and give you an opinion. Check and see if your gasket in the trunk area is ripped or deteriorated. You might get away by having a windshield repair company or install a new one for you. I would also stay out of car washes. Costs - Pedrhaps who ever repaired the trunk, if they did, provided a warranty for their workmanship. I doubt that they would stand behind their work if they didn't do it right in the first plce. A new gasket, Under $100 installed.
    Hey,

I bought a 2006 altima last year...found a leak in the trunk..right side, under where the jack was. Took it back to be "fixed" over 3 times...still was leaking....they ended up just letting me pick another Altima.

Be very alert and wary when they say it's fixed. Leaks are sometimes impossible to find.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply, I've checked the carfax already and also took this to a mechanic to check.

The carfax is not a reliable resource to get the history of the car, on carfax, it was totally clean and one owner car. The only problem is that this car is from Louisiana. So i had the concened that this car might had been flooded before.

And later i took the car to the mechanic, they told me the car haven't been flooded before, the engine and transmission are all good.

But they found the trunk water leaking problem
    Thanks for the reply.

When they fix the car, what did they say the water comes from?

Yes, my problem is almost same as yours, Just above the jack. The jack hole doen't has a lot water.
  • nissan16nissan16 Member Posts: 5
    I too have been battling with Nissan North American Inc. with regards to a recall campaign #03v084000. My catalytic converter went out on August 8th 2008. My car has 96,764 miles right now. They say my vin# was not included in the recall but I'm having the same problems all the other 2002 Nissan Altimas 2.5s are having. I filed a complaint with NHTSA. If they get enough complaints they may have to re-open this camaign for the rest of the vin#'s that are within the range of vin#'s that were recalled.
    Hope you found the problem to your air conditioning. I would check for a recall on that problem. Are you by any chance having problems with your catalytic converter. There was a recall out there #03v084000. This is only one of many recalls for this make model and year. I just found out by going on the websites and found so many recalls with the Nissan Altima 2002 2.5s. Hope your car is doing better than mine. I have 96,764 miles and my catalytic converter went out. I'm trying to get Nissan North America Inc. to honor the campaign that went out on these models but they said my vin# even though fell in the range of the vin#'s it was not included. I filed a complaint with NHTSA. Hope they can help me. And good luck with your car.
    I too have a Nissan Altima 2002 2.5s. I purchased it with 26,000 miles on it. Unfortunetly I did not do my homework. When my catalytic converter went out at 97,000 miles I went on line and found that this car has so many recalls and lot's of internal problems. I am currently trying to get Nissan North America Inc., to honor their recall on my car but they say because my vin# is not listed (even though the vin # is within the range of vin #'s) They say it is vin specific. Well there are so many other Nissan Altima 2002 2.5s out there with the same problem that I feel they did not take care of all of the cars that had the problems. I filed a complaint with Nissan and with NHTSA. Check the recalls for this model on line. I wouldn't be surprised it your car is under some kind of recall for your fuel problem. Good luck!
    I was online and saw some recall campaign's on the 2005.
    I agree with your wife. Return the car if at all possible. Nissan is not owning up to their problems. There are so many recalls on the Nissan cars. The 2002 2.5s is a perfect example. If you can get into a Toyota or Honda you will be better off.
    sorry for the late reply

Hmm....I think it came back 2 or 3 times "fixed"

I think first they resealed around the back light, then another time one of the holes from near there wasn't plugged or something.

To be honest I dont really recall...like I said...after the 3rd time...they just said pick a new one....I really hope someone else didn't just get resold that car and not notice the leak.

Im not sure if you have bought this car or are thinking of buying it. But the leak could be coming from the tire throwing water up against the back when it rains...and how would a mechanic really know.

Anyways, I hope it works out for you
  • bmega72bmega72 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a resolution to this problem? I also have an 08 Altima that has 7600 miles and this loss of power steering just happened to me yesterday. Out of the blue I started it yesterday and there was no power steering. Not looking forward to bringing it in for service.
  • efitzgeraldefitzgerald Member Posts: 62
    I just bought a 07 Altima (was a rental). At 48,000 kms the Air C clutch went. Dealer fixed it right away, seems to me that sorta thing should be 5-8 years into it before they should go. Oh well, who knows how rentals treat their cars. Other than that I love my altima .....so far.
  • terrylee41terrylee41 Member Posts: 1
    My 94 Altima need a new mass air flow sensor.If I change myself do I need to have the computer codes reset in order for the car to start.Thank You
  • bobvan11bobvan11 Member Posts: 1
    My son has a 94 with front end cosmetic damage. I have located a 95 cheap, can it be used as a parts car putting cosmetics aside?
  • gccambridgegccambridge Member Posts: 24
    I'm looking to install an Eibach Pro Kit on my Altima '08 6mt sedan and have been quoted $360 from one of the tire shops here... Anyone have a shop they can recommend in Boston that could possibly do it cheaper (folks in other boards (but not in Boston!) have had it done for about $200 - $250 :confuse: )...

Thanks!
  • amaoamao Member Posts: 38
    all of a sudden, I am getting this clicking noise whenever the car gets electric regardless the engine is on or not. It seems to come from somewhere behind the audio system. It is not some random noise. It is in rhythm. Any ideas?
  • altimadude00altimadude00 Member Posts: 5
    I have just purchased an '05 Altima 2.5S w/auto with 34,000 miles. There is a sound coming from the gear selector. I will try to be a precise as possible in my description.

As the car is coming to a complete stop, from any speed and from any brake application, there is a click from the gear selector area as the transmission engages first gear. It only happens when the car is stopping and only occurs in the first-second gear change. It also occurs at every stop, it is not intermittent.

There is nothing wrong with the transmission its self, it shifts smoothly in both up and down shifts. There is no lurch or vibration associated with the click sound. The sound is located somewhere inside the passenger cabin and not underneath the car. I checked for any loose components in the storage areas for the source of the sound.

It does not sound like a serious noise, but it is an annoyance. Any help diagnosing the problem would be much appreciated. I am having the dealer I bought it from take a look at it this weekend. Any additional information to expedite the repare would be helpful.
  • umsteadumstead Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying an 01 altima gxe. Anything I should watch out for. Car has 138000 miles on it but seems to be a strong car when I test drove it
  • ntnylionntnylion Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Altima GXE and have some heating/ac control problems. My "1" level of the air control has not worked for several years. Last week, I turned on the car and the "2" and "3" levels wouldn't work either and still don't. Now I only have the "4" level that works so it's blast the a/c (or heat) or nothing at all. Any idea what the problem might be and how much will it cost to fix it? Also, is this something my local garage guy can do or do I have to (ugh) take it to the dealer? Any help would be appreciated - thanks!