Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nvisionenvisione Member Posts: 1
    greetings,

i've just bought a '94 altima se. it's a very smooth-riding car except for a very peculiar noice coming behind the air vents. the noise is faint but noticeable, and sounds like something is rubbing against rubber in a very constant interval--*wud wud wud wud..* (imagine placing a sheet of rubber over a slow-turning fan)

this noise seems to persist on all air vent modes EXEPT the "body&legs" mode. setting the fan at different speeds does not seem to effect it.

anyone knows what's going on here? any help is greatly appreciated. many thanks.

-nvisione
  • nursedivanursediva Member Posts: 1
    where can I go for discounted Nissan parts, in particular rims or wheel covers
  • urbstfrendurbstfrend Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Altima which has served me well for almost six years now. 105K with little problem except the usual consumable (brakes, tires, lights etc.)

Just recently the A/-Heat switch will only work on the high setting. The other three settings are DO. Just replace the switch? Sounds strange since I would expect a switch to either go all the way, or loose one setting (a burned or dirty contact would be common)

Any help would be great.

Dave
  • smittymike19smittymike19 Member Posts: 5
    I recently bought a 2001 altima and have had 2 cracked windshields. The cracks are NOT due to an external force (rocks etc.) There is no visible point of impact so they appear to be an internal stress fracture. I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem. The 2 windshields broke 3-4 weeks after installation.
  • cargulcargul Member Posts: 1
    my battery went dead while on a trip, I had it replaced but when I was driving out of there I noticed the check engine light on. I thought it would go out since I got a new battery, but it hasn't. The service station wants $70 to turn it off - there must be an easier way. Thanks.
  • orman1orman1 Member Posts: 7
    For most 96 and newer vehicles, the light can come on if the gas cap is not tightened enough. The OBD 2 emission control system is very sensitive to noticing excess fuel system venting pressure. If you have to disconnect the battery, what you can do is plug in a 9v battery (or a larger 12 volt lantern battery if you have one). Connect it to the power outlet. Key on if you need to to get power to the outlet. Or, run wires to the new battery first. Works good if you have presets in the radio and keeps the sensors from any excess voltage spikes.
  • tobiusnctobiusnc Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same problem in my '89 Probe. Lived with it for quite some time before taking the time to pull and diagnose the switch. Turned out it had nothing to do with the switch.

By calling the dealer I found out there is a resistor pack under the dash near the blower that had burned out. The part wasn't exactly cheap ($70 doesn't sound like much, but look at the part and it seems like a lot), but aside from having to work upside-down under the dash, replacement was a snap. I would assume the Altima has a similar set-up but a dealer should be able to help you find the offending module. Hope this helps!
  • buy_whatbuy_what Member Posts: 3
    Sorry if this has been posted before...
    Does anyone know of pricing info on the 2002 Altima yet? Nissan's web site has some specs and photos of the car, and it is a great looking car. Far different from the current Altima. The base engine is listed at 180hp, which tops the 170hp of a base Passat. It also will have an optional 260hp V6. I wonder what kind of pricing they will have on these compared to current model Altima's and also not wanting to cut into their strong Maxima market too much. Any thoughts, ideas?
  • 2000altima2000altima Member Posts: 2
    Same person from message #41. I grew tired of taking my car back and forth to the dealership and they could never reproduce the noise I heard. At one point after my April post, a service consultant said they could put in a tighter part on the regulator and that should make the windows tighter, but it would probably result in more wind noise. Considering I was constantly checking to see if the windows were all the way up as is, I was concerned how "more" wind noise would be.

I also heard a noise that appeared to come from the wheels, like a belt or a tap, tap, tap noise when the windows are all the way down. An after market repair shop heard it too, but couldn't detect the problem. So, I took it back to Nissan. They couldn't hear the noise.

Also, while backing down a decline, I heard a sound like a spring had popped. It would do it each time I backed into the driveway (which is on a decline). It did it once when coming into a STOP (moving forward, of course). My passenger and I just looked at each other and turned our heads. Nissan couldn't hear that either.

Well, maybe if Nissan drove the car further than around the corner on a flat surface, they could hear something.

Anyway. Yesterday was the last straw. I unloaded that 2000 Altima last night, cut my losses and moved on.

I wish all of you well with your Altimas. It has so many great features, and were it not for the annoying noises no one at Nissan could hear, I would still be driving mine today.
  • laugslaugs Member Posts: 1
    This morning the battery in my wife's Altima exploded when she turned the key. Literally. I came out and checked under the hood after hearing a loud bang and the battery casing was in pieces.

Does anyone have electrical problems whereby the battery might be overcharged? Are Nissan batteries prone to this condition? I am thinking of simply replacing the battery and seeing if it, too, explodes before I take the car to a dealer.

Thanks!
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    Please don't blame the car. When batteries charge or discharge they emit hydrogen gas. What could have happen is when the starter was engaged there might have been a spark between the battery post and the clamp on the post witch would ignight the gas and split the battery. I have a '95 Altima and the positive post corrodes alot under the red plastic post cover. Was there alot of corrosion on the posts? I have
    seen the tops of batteries blown off due to sparks around batteries!
  • sam2k1sam2k1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everybody i'm new to this chat room,so please excuse me if i do something wrong.Anyway,i need to find a power window switch for my '94 alty gxe
    i need the one for the driver side.Anybody knows
    where i could get one at a discounted price?

thanks,
    sam2k1
  • chuckcordenchuckcorden Member Posts: 1
    Hi, everyone. First time user of the Town Hall. I am looking at 1994 Altima with 114,000 miles for about $4,500. The car will be for my daughter to use for school and work. Any serious problems that I should know about. I've scanned the posted messages (quickly) and have noticed problems re: the distributors. Anybody have any comments. Thanks in advance.
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    At that mileage, even Altima is relatively reliable, anything can happen to it, especially in electric and tranny.

If that is for a boy, maybe I will take the chance, but for your daughter, IMO, I will get her a low mileage car to be safe and she can drive longer if she opt for.... Just my 2 cents.
  • clarkrfclarkrf Member Posts: 2
    Greetings,

I am looking to purchase a 96 Alty GXE w/ 67K mi. Owner indicates there is still ~10K warranty left. Pulling the tranny stick and oil stick reveal no indication of problems. Car looks in clean condition. Owner said the alternator was replaced at ~55K mi. Seems a little early to go out.

Anyway, after reading all the posts, is there any other things I should consider? If we agree on price, I plan to take the car to my local mechanic for inspection.

Thanks,

clark
    I have a 95 GXE with 72k and it runs like a top. No problems except I just
    replaced the battery. No falt of the car,battery just developed an open cell
    the guy at the battery store said there was no electrical issues with an Altima.
    Might need front brake pads . The engine has a steel timming chain so don't
    let the dealer or any garage talk you into changing the timming belt. This happened
    to a co-worker that has a '95. The chain is good for the life of the car. Good luck!!
  • shemzshemz Member Posts: 34
    Dear People,
    I just bought a 1995 Altima GXE, its a great car when i first bought it...yesterday. I drove up to 80 MPH and no noise or anything....when i was driving i realized that the engine light was on. I read the manuel and it said that its the emission control (whats that?), it needs to be replaced. there is a kinda tick tick sound from the engine but i dont think its a problem. Could the fuse be burned or whatever for the engine light?????? Plz send me inf in my e-mail: shemz@onebox.com
    Thanx 4 u allz help
  • ppp627076ppp627076 Member Posts: 4
    Last week, I purchased a used 1999 Altima SE Limited. This week, for the very first time, I filled my tank up completely and did (approximately) 75% highway driving and 25% city driving. I ran the A/C occasionally.

I reset my trip odometer to zero whenever I fill my tank so I can gauge my mileage. Currently, I am at slightly under a half tank but I've only driven 145 miles. At this rate, it would appear as though I may only get 300 miles out of a full tank of gas. I believe this car's tank holds 15.9 gallons(?) I drive CONSERVATIVELY--no full-throttle starts, not much variance in speed on the highway; I usually use cruise control.

Does anyone else seem to have feeble gas mileage like me? I hope that it's not bad gas mileage but rather that my fuel gauge falls quickly at first, then slowly thereafter. It better hold above empty until I've put at least 350 miles on it! I certainly can't afford to fill my tank as much as it seems I may have to.

Thanks all. :)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    This engine is not the most fuel efficient one. Plus, I think it has a gas guage that is rather conservative. My gas light comes on and the guage reads below empty and yet it will only take a max of 11 gallons. I have a 97.5 Altima Limited Edition with the same engine. Is yours an auto or manual? Mine is an auto and it can only muster 230 miles in all city driving. On the highway, it got 34 mpg at a constant 60-65 (went 380 miles), but that number fell back down to 27-28 when doing a constant 80 (only 280 miles and reads empty). So, dont expect a miracle with this engine. It just is a rather thirsty engine, mainly because of its large size, and it has a too conservative fuel gauge. Overall though, this is a very reliable car and an excellent value as a used car.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    With now almost 12k on the car, the mileage still seems rather on the low side, in the low 20's which makes me unhappy. This is really the only problem with the car so far so I guess it's not that bad. It's the wifes ride and she still loves it so...
  • rukahsatcrukahsatc Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 94 Altima GXE for a few weeks now and I too at first had concerns with the gas. But, the problem is not with the engine (if you figure it out, you should still get 25/29 which...isnt awesome, but its not horrible either) If you notice, when you get to E and fill up, you can only put about 12 gallons in, which means you still have about 2 gallons to use (according to the size of the tank) when you get to Empty. I don't recommend banking on this though and trusting it totally, to be safe, I would still not go past E. So, the problem is not that you are getting bad gasmileage, its just you have to fill up more often but hey, I don't mind filling up and it only costing me 11-13 dollars, :):):)

Josh

Any other questions, I can try to help, RukahsATC@Yahoo.Com
    Thanks guys, for all your input. At least now I feel as though I didn't buy a car with some sort of gas-leak problem. I'm still disappointed that the mileage is as poor as it is. My father drives a Buick with the 3800 Series II V-6 and it gets 34 miles per gallon when he drives it smooth and steady on the highway. To me, it's not right when a 3.8 liter, 6 cylinder, 12 valve, 205 HP engine (pushrod, no less!) can out-mileage a 2.4 liter, 16 valve, DOHC 4 banger with 150 ponies. It's more than just "not right"; it's absurd.

Oh well...at least I have Nissan's build quality going for me. Oops--I forgot--my passenger window rattles like crazy so nevermind about the build quality. :-( There's a technical service bulletin on nhtsa.org that shows Nissan is actually aware of this problem but it was never recalled. Oh well...I guess I got off the point...

~Dave
    The reason there is a huge difference between mileage of those 2 cars on the highway is rather simple: it has to do with gearing and highway rpms. My Altima revs at about 3K when doing 80 whereas the Buick probably does the same with only about 2400 on the tach. Those low low rpms reap high mileage gains (my Altima achieved 34 mpg as well when kept at 2400 rpms which is 60 mph). Also, that Series II engine is known for a lot of friction reductions that improve mileage. The Nissan 2.4 liter is a rather old design that hasnt seen much in the way of engine modifications. This engine dates all the way back to 1989, with the only change being the twin cam head that was added in 92. No special variable valve timing to help it gain efficiency, no variable volume intake, etc. As you can see, its a low tech engine that can't quite compete with engines that have these features. Also, remember your car was only rated at 21/29 city/hwy, so expecting more than 29 is futile. The one good thing about this engine is its good low end torque and amazing power for a four banger. When you push it, it feels like a six.
    As for the rattling window, since there is a service bulletin, that means the dealers are aware of the problem and know what to do to fix it, so take it in and see if they can't fix the problem for you. Many minor problems like that never make it to recall status. Good luck and enjoy your car! Don't let the fuel economy get ya down!! I let it bug me for the first few weeks I owned the car as well, but I got used to it and realize the loss in mileage is worth the power.
    I know what ya mean about the RPMs. One of the FEW things I admire about my dad's Park Ave. is the gear ratios. It's overdrive gear is really long-legged. That car feels like it could coast forever without gas; it's really amazing for an American made drivetrain.

Anyway, I'm going to take a printout of the service bulletin in to my Nissan dealer and see if they don't scare me when they give me a quote to rip the door apart and fix the window rattle.

I'll start to enjoy the car more, just as soon as I learn to accept its flaws. I'm hyper-picky about my cars; I'll get over it. :)
    Anyone familiar with the proper way to take out the trim piece around the tranny shifter (on an automatic) for a 99 Altima? I'm thinking of just pulling it up but I don't want to crack it.

I guess they don't yet have a Haynes repair manual published yet for Altimas that are newer than 98 or else I would have bought the book and learned on my own.

Good day all.
    this is a common problem and it may be sooooooooo cheap to fix..i have talked and reaserched alot..it could be the OS sensor but FIRST BEFOR TRYING ANYTING TRY THIS PLZ IT WILL HELP BECAUSE IT HELPED ME AND IT WORKED:
    1) Use higher gas octane (93)
    2)CHECK Your GAS CAP if it is not secure in and iz not clicked 3 times the eng. light will come on!!!!
    3) Take out the negative wire in ure battery for about 2 hours or so...(this is what helped!!!)
    4)Do tune up change oil and spark plugs and all
    GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • jft26jft26 Member Posts: 35
    I had my '98 Nissan Altima to the dealer yesterday and I was told that it needed
    a right front hub bearing. Luckily it is covered under the Warranty. The parts are
    on order. I asked the Service Advisor if they would be performing a wheel
    alignment during the course of the repair and he said that it wouldn't be
    required. Is that a true statement? It sounded like the front end would be apart
    for the repair.

Thank you for any insight / information.
    shemz: The noise could be caused from loose lifter. These engine have solid lifters and have to be adjusted from-time-to-time. I have a '95 and found one valve a little loose .002-.003. There is disks of different thickness to change the lash. Easy to do.
    front hub change: Yes you have to have the front end aligned because the tie-rod end is removed
    from the hub to change it!!
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    The issue is whether alignment is truly affected. Books say that many steering repairs like struts don't need alignment.

Personally though, I always align after a steering repair. I had many years where I didn't align, and tire replacement costs were definitely high.
  • deebob77deebob77 Member Posts: 4
    Is anyone experiencing a persistant rattle with their Nissan Altima 2001.
    My car has had the passenger side bushing replaced twice since i brought it a month ago. Service said nissan is redesigning the bushing. But the noise is persistent. It is definitely coming from the rear passenger side. Some passengers say its coming from under the seat, others think its the window. It is driving me nuts. Plus there is a lot of wind noise in the car. It sounds at times like metal on metal. I can't seem to figure it out.

Deebob77@aol.com
  • miknebmikneb Member Posts: 1
    Can't find the pcv valve on my engine. I saw part in store and it is threaded on one end. Specifically, where is it located? The tech at Nissan dealer said it is on back of engine but he couldn't show it to me. Do I need to view it from under the motor? I've looked everywhere.

miklinoma@aol.com
    Well, my Alty let me down :( This morning when I went to start my 97 Altima, I heard a loud pop and nothing happened. The battery literally blew off one of the caps where you fill it up with water and is cracked and distorted on the top. What would have caused my battery to do this?? I find this disturbing as I only have 65K and read a very similar post only 20 messages ago. I had just replaced a rear brake light that had also literally exploded. Could these two incidences be related, or did I just have a fluke bad battery and bulb? I'm worried I have some sort of electrical overcharging problem. Would appreciate some advice here, thanks!
    Hi all,
    I still have my Altima...very good car. i just put over 2,500 miles on it and its running lie a prince..my only problem is, does it have slow acceleration due to the low octane (87) fuel that i put...and is it ok to put additives like fuel injector cleaners and octane booster, would they really clean and improve the cars performance?
    Thanx for youre help guys...
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    well it might hesitate at first, but defintely more acceleration than the others in the class I 've driven... try changing fuel brands.. I've gotten sluggish performance with brand X, and Brand Y is ok... same with other folks iknow.
    My god, i was proud of that car i had (Altima) that i was bragging about until yesterday when the Chek Engine Light came on....what should i do.? I kida hear squeaky noise but i dunno where they r from . thanx for replying....
  • aero_smithaero_smith Member Posts: 15
    Hi folks,

I have a 2000 altima GXE. The rear passenger door has a problem in that I cannot open the door from inside. I am guessing this is not a major problem and should not take a lot to correct it.
    Now is this something that can be repaired under factory warranty or should just go to a local mechanic and get it fixed?
  • oehrleinoehrlein Member Posts: 30
    Aero: Make sure the child safety door lock isn't activated (in the lock position). If it is the door can NOT be opened from the inside only from the outside. Reset it to free, then you'll be able to open the door from the inside. The child safety lock levers are located on the edge of the rear doors.

Semper Fi
  • inerokinerok Member Posts: 2
    Car has 21,000 miles and today when I filled it up, the gasoline fumes started to come through the air conditioner vents for about 15 minutes.
    Anywho ever have this problem????????
  • aero_smithaero_smith Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for your quick reply oehrlein ..

Now let me go and hide.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Anyone have this one. My gearbox squeeks when I shift. It has been doing this for years. I took it in for service, when it was still under warranty, and they told me it was "normal". After being so frustrated with them after the 3rd time trying to get it fixed and my warranty ran out, I decided to drive it until it really needed repair (other than just being annoying). Now it rattles, and makes a "bad" noise while accelerating and needs to be repaired. It still squeeks. I am hoping to have the squeek fixed at the same time. Anyone know what part it is that makes this squeek?
  • ed_swansfegered_swansfeger Member Posts: 45
    Test drove a new Altima V-6 yesterday and it is an outstanding car. 240 hp which makes it very quick along with 17 inch Continental touring tires. The cabin was very quiet, almost Lexus like.

I was considering a V-6 Accord or Pontiac Bonneville but this definitely changed my mind.
  • cbull1cbull1 Member Posts: 1
    MY BRAKE LIGHTS WON'T COME ON. CHECK 15A FUSES IN
    FUSE BOX BESIDE BATTERY BOX. CHECK BRAKE LAMP
    BULB IN REAR
    NO PROBLEM WITH EITHER..HAVE HAD A PROBLEM BEFORE
    WHEN I HIT THE BRAKE THE PARK BRAKE LIGHTS WOULD COME ON. NOW I HAVE NO BRAKE LIGHTS AT ALL
    go to http://www.altimas.net I think i read the problem before. do a search to find it.
  • everett9everett9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GLE. Has anyone had a slight pinging/rattle in rear quarter. Happens over bumps. Service has worked on it twice and cannot locate. Sounds like metal strap hitting something. Very annoying. Otherwise car has been great in every respect. By the way, I notice Service Bulletin here in Edmunds on Firestone Tires for 2000 Altimas....Be aware.
    look under neath. could be muffler heat shield rattling.
  • mc514mc514 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed that some people here are having the same type of problems as I have had with the car. My car has 53,000 miles on thus far... and it not had any major problems. About 1 year ago, the air bag light came on. I took it in, and it was fixed and no charge. They did not really say if it was a computer glitch with the light, or if was really a problem with the air bag. Recently, my "CHECK ENGINE" light started to come on and off. It would stay on a few days, then would go off for a few days. We took the car in to get it checked. They told us that it was the INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET VACUME LEAK (4th cylindar).
    To fix this, it would cost around $720. We decided to pick the car up, and see if maybe this is something we could do ourselves. (since the gasket is only around 10 bucks at Track Auto). The guy at the Nissan dealership said that he 'reset' the computer so that the light would not come on anymore.
    This was kinda strange to me, cause shouldn't the light still come on if there was a problem.
    Or maybe the computer in the car is pre-set to come on at a certain time to say "check engine" just so that take it in and they can pretty much tell us anything???
    Please help. Thanks!!!

marina0514@yahoo.com
    The dealer cane erase the trouble fault but the computer keeps on monitoring the engine. I would doubt the manifold leak. Ask the dealer what code number and check with another dealer or a shop that has a shop manual for that year of Altima. If it is the gasket
    depending on how much you have worked on cars it should not be to difficult to replace. There are ways to pressurerise the intake and exhaust systems to check for leaks with soapy water. 409 works great.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Another people people should be aware of involves the radio. There is apparently an issue with the ignition coils that causes static on every station on the radio. It basically sounds like you're getting poor reception on every station. There's a bulletin out for this, and your dealer should know about this and fix it for you.

Just picked up my Altima on Tuesday and it doesn't have the problem, so I think it may have been fixed on models built more recently.
  • moriharamorihara Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the cause of the hollow rolling noise that comes from the front right of the 3.5SE Altima as it is driven? It it most noticeable when the car goes over slightly uneven roads or concrete (vs. asphalt) roadways. I took the car in to my Nissan dealership to have it checked. After first diagnosing the problem as a faulty spring, the dealership said that they test drove the other 3.5SE's on their lot and noticed the same noise. They then checked with Nissan Motor Corp. and they diagnosed it as a "characteristic" of the car.

Is anyone else experiencing this noise? If so, do you know how to resolve this problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    The radio static problem reared its head in my car today. I guess I spoke too soon when I said my car didn't have it. Time to call the dealer...

I haven't noticed the rolling noise you're talking about, but maybe I'm just not listening for it.