Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• gerrys1gerrys1 Member Posts: 3
    I had 'static' problems in my Bose when I first got my car. It sounded like ignition noise and changed with engine speed. My Nissan dealer ordered some type of filter kit which fixed the problem. It's amazing that this wasn't picked up in the design/testing phases of the car!
  • gerrys1gerrys1 Member Posts: 3
    I've got a slight 'thunking' noise from the rear of the car going over rough pavement at slow speeds. The dealer diagnosed it as a strut problem. Replacement has been on order for a few weeks. I'll report on whether it fixes the problem.
  • nissanconvertnissanconvert Member Posts: 5
    I experience the same thing, but mine comes from the left.
    I'm taking it in after the holidays to get it checked out.
    I notice that it happens first thing in the morning on my way to work; when I get off and drive home, it's not as noticeable. It's still rather annoying and I don't want my new ride having problems like that. It feels like something with my left front tire as the steering wheel shakes slightly when this happens.
  • joanchjoanch Member Posts: 2
    I was curious if anyone else has noticed the rough ride (feel every bump and rough spot in the road) of their cars? I gave a friend a ride today and see commented that it rode like her GMC Jimmy...when I test drove it I did comment on the fact that it had alot of road feel but I was told it has sports suspension and it is supposed to be that way...anyone else heard this and is it true?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Nissan tuned the suspension to be firm. Some of the car magazines have complained about it. I personally like it, but my last car was a sports coupe with a significantly firmer ride.
  • joanchjoanch Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your input, I just wanted to make sure it was part of the makeup of the car and not something I should be worried about.
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    they are designed to be very firm. I like the KYB shocks that I replaced the stock ones with much better. Softer on the small bumps, and firm when really needed.
  • perrydperryd Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem with mine within the first week of ownership on our 99' SE , it was pulling to the right. Nissan looked at it and said the right front strut was bent , they replaced it and it has been fine ever since.
  • perry1961perry1961 Member Posts: 10
    Have 57 miles on my 2.5s,LOL.Assuming it's the gas cap thing.Click,click,click....still on.Gues I'll havta disconnect the negative terminal now.Anyone else find a way to get this fixed for good yet? The salesman put 93 octane with my first tank,so that won't help.
  • crissy1crissy1 Member Posts: 8
    Am considering either a '97 Altima or a '97 Maxima as a first car for my 19-year old daughter. She's a new driver, cautious but inexperienced. My question is: Which is safer, the larger, more powerful Maxima, or the smaller, less powerful Altima? Is the 190 HP Maxima engine too powerful for a new driver? I want to get the safest, most dependable car I can afford. Another question I have is about timing belts vs. timing chains. I understand the newer Nissans have chains instead of belts. I have read that the belts need to be changed more frequently than the chains, and that both installations are very expensive. Is there a disadvantage to the chain? Are there other cars in the Maxima/Altima size range that use timing chains? Thanks for any input.
  • jab5346jab5346 Member Posts: 1
    My daughters 97 Altima has a few problems. The Bridgestones that we got her a year ago are already worn out (front). The check engine light is on. For the past week, she's been having to get a jump start every morning and every afternoon. She said sometimes it just clicks. Sometimes it turns over real slow and then starts. She says the lights are not dim and all electronics work so she doesn't think it's the battery. How can I check to see if it is the alternator or starter or some other problem?
  • perry1961perry1961 Member Posts: 10
    Take the alternator down to autozone.They'll test it for you.They can test starters too,but the alternator is the place to start imo.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Jab5346: Sounds to me like you have a failing starter, although you could have a bad ground connection too. Check the battery posts and all ground connections you can see in the engine bay. My 84 VW Rabbit started doing the same exact thing (sometimes would just click, sometimes would turn over very slowly, and other times start fine) and I thought it was the starter finally giving out. Turns out it was a loose ground connection going from the battery to the front fender. Then again, my Mazda RX7 was doing the same thing but with a loud grinding sound and it turned out being a bad starter. So, I would check out the grounds and the starter, with a slim possibility being the ignition relay, if it has one. It's definitely not the alternator if all electrical parts work, because the alternator is not used when starting the car.

Crissy1: I just sold my 97 Altima to a 17 or 18 yr old girl. She was absolutely ecstatic over it. As far as safety, the 97 Maxima will definitely fare better since it is so much bigger and is a newer design (its platform dates back to 95, whereas the Altima dates all the way back to 93). Don't go for a 95-96 Maxima though, they had poor bumpers and didn't do good in the offset impact because of a failed seat track. They redesigned the seat track and improved the bumpers on the 97 model. Concerning timing chains, both the Maxima and Altima use them. They usually never need to be replaced in a normal car's lifespan, whereas a belt needs to be changed every 60-100k miles or you risk internal damage if they break. Ford and GM use timing chains on their cars in this size class, but I doubt you are considering them. The only other car that might use a chain is the Camry, but don't quote me on that. I'm pretty sure the four cylinder models use a chain though. The only downside to a chain is a slightly noiser engine at full throttle and when idling, but in most cars nowadays, that's not a concern. My 97 Altima was very reliable. I didn't have any mechanical problems other than the battery exploding (which wasn't the car's fault). At 68k, it wasn't burning any oil and everything worked fine. The interior did have a few rattles and buzzes in it and the ride was rather stiff and jiggly. It was not the nicest riding car in its class by far. The four cylinder has more then enough pep and the brakes are quite strong. I think the Maxima would be a bit too powerful for a beginning driver. I would stick with either the Altima, Accord, or Camry. Hope that info helps.
  • colorsofspringcolorsofspring Member Posts: 16
    I knew it was cheap but... the other night while driving my elbow brushed up against it while it was in the closed / down position. It popped up. I closed it thinking that I must've pressed the button for it to raise up. To test it I pushed against it again. And again it happened. Even the slightest nudge will dislodge the latch.
    Has anyone else noticed this? It seems as if the latch that holds it in place is faulty.
  • crissy1crissy1 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, Inqtonge18 for all the info. I'll take a look at the Camrys also. I'll take the Maxima off the list of possibilities for her (maybe save it for myself, later!). I'll check to see if the Camrys use a timing chain. I don't like the idea of having to replace the belt so frequently. That's pretty expensive maintenance added to the cost of college tuition. She really likes the '97 Altima, but I want to compare it to some others before making the decision. Thanks again.
  • 1969iggy1969iggy Member Posts: 17
    I get the transmission slipping sometimes under moderate to hard acceleration. I can tell the car is hesitant to change gears, and when it finally does it seems to slide in. Durring this period, i can tell the acceleration suffers somewhat. I had a car many years ago that was auto, and have driven a few rentals, and most have had a more definite point where it shifts, and it is more snappy...

Any comments>?
  • krishnskrishns Member Posts: 1
    Whenever I tried get off from a signal I hear some queaky noise from the right part of my car. Has any body noticed it...
  • rob133rob133 Member Posts: 24
    Has anyone with an Altima had the engine sludge problem that the Toyotas have been having? There are hundreds of posts from Toyota drivers who have had their engine fail. Supposedly more than 3000 people have had the problem so far. I dont know how to link to a different page, but you can search by Sludge and you will see what I am talking about.
  • tansahktansahk Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have 1995 Nissan Altima GXE, that started a problem. When standing idle or slowing down, I see the rpm goes up and down and then goes to zero and the car stalls. I have checked the car with couple of mechanics. They first set the idle rpm, then checked ground of the air intake sensor, changed the distributer and then changed air intake sensor, but the problem persists. Anybody have any input as to what could be the problem. I just want to solve the problem and sell the car.

Thanks in advance.
  • brucer2brucer2 Member Posts: 157
    Sludge is not a typical problem, in general. The Toyotas have a problem that is specific to them. My experience with Nissan engines (several Maximas, a Sentra and a Stanza (same basic engine as the older Altimas)) is that they don't sludge up, even with leaving the oil in too long.
    Toyota took an older engine, tried to upgrade it to make it a ULEV (Ultra Low Emission Vehicle) and wound up stepping on their crank.
  • shemzshemz Member Posts: 34
    What could be the problem, i just fixed it 4 months ago at a nissan dealership for 250 dollars!!! it was the rear O2 senceor...but it couldnt just have broken down in 4 mo?? my gas cap is tight...i use med to high gas...i tried taken off hte neg battery for a whole day..and i have been driving rough roads lately i dunno if that could be the cause??? I still need to try the fuse thing...but how and which one??? other than that the car is in perfect shape...can i just ignore the light..because i dont hear or feel any problem with the car at all??.any advice would be appreciated....
  • nickm2nickm2 Member Posts: 11
    When I first start my car after its been sitting around for a while, I hear a sound that sounds like a chain being dragged across concrete whenever I step on the gas. It goes away after 5 minutes or so, and the sound's not loud, but its new, so I'm concerned. Anyone ever hear of this?
  • shemzshemz Member Posts: 34
    This morning on my way to my university, the car did something weird and crazy, the RPM started to go up and down like crazy, then the car wouldnt accelerate and was shaking, it was very weird, then after i pressed the gas pedal a little harder it went back to normal...?? I remember i read this same incident that happened to one of us here..any advice would be helpful.. by the way The check engine light turned off.....
  • wackawacka Member Posts: 16
    I went and test drove an Altima S and SL and the thing with the arm rest I noticed had a problem too.

The sales guy was showing if off and he COULDN'T CLOSE IT... tragic... it wouldn't latch.
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    My 97.5 Altima has 35k miles and the airbag light recently started flashing and won't go off. I suspect this could range from a simple sensor problem to something quite costly. Anyone have similar experience and what was the outcome?
  • jebsdaddyjebsdaddy Member Posts: 52
    I helped my parents choose the Altima with the sunroof option and it is currently giving problems. The dealer will change the motor out when they receive a new one.

My question is: The Edmund's paper back describes this as a one touch close/open type sunroof but that is not true is it? Someone with a sunroof on their car please let me know. I believe you have to hold the button down until the position is reached. One touch to me sounds like the driver's window that will lower all the way down with one touch.

The problem with their sunroof is when I hold the close button, the sunroof closes but does not stop at close but keeps going until it is tilted up. To close the sunroof, one has to time it exactly right when to let off the button or bump it, bump it, bump it just before it starts to tilt up. Thanks for the help. Robert
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    You are correct, the Altima's sunroof is NOT a one-touch open/close type. You have to hold the button down until it closes.

Your parents' sunroof definitely has a problem. Mine stops at the correct point when you hold the button down.
  • I have a 94 Altima that has a flashing air bag light. Are there any recalls or service bulletins on this or is this an isolated incident? Any do it yourself fixes to avoid dealer pricing? FYI: to date this car has been flawless, highly recommend for purchase.
  • cdpapouliascdpapoulias Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. Past few months, randomly, the car (2000 Altima GXE/auto) doesn't start - doesn't even attempt to. After a little jiggling with the shifter (which may be unrelated), it starts w/o problem. Its a random problem and this weekend I had my dealer look at it after getting an oil change. No problems found and it always started. The next day (yesterday), it left me stranded and I had to have it towed to the dealer this AM because it would just not start. It got off the tow truck, and started w/o problem yet left me stranded yesterday. I'm thinking its a loose wire somewhere, or possibly a faulty starter. Any ideas here as to what could be wrong?

Anyone have advice for fixing a problem like this, where the car doesn't have the problem at the dealer so they can troubleshoot it?

I don't want to take the car back, having the dealer say its fine, drive it to work, and find out that my car doesn't start at 7pm in a parking garage downtown where I work.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks all.

Dinos
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    There is a starter interlock switch that might be causing you your problem. The switch is connected mechanically to the shift lever and is meant to prevent you from starting the car with the transmission in drive. Your jiggling the shift lever is probably related. These switches can go out of adjustment or fail. If your dealer can't diagnose the starting problem I would suggest you find a dealer who can or an independent auto shop and have the switch replaced. On older American cars it was mounted on the shift column and was easy/cheap to replace. I'm not familiar with the Altima with the auto trans, mine is a 5 speed manual. Rick
  • jmaxe

read post 20, I have similar problem but have not tried post 20 recommdation. will advise if it works. my 94 altima has been flawless to this point. a very reliable vehicle.
  • jmaxe

did procedure in post 20 and it worked first time. don't know how long it will last. if problem reoccurs and parts are needed I will post info. good luck on yours.
  • knapp3knapp3 Member Posts: 112
    My Altima is only 10 months old with 14,000 miles. I noticed by 9,000 it was using a quart of oil every 3,000 miles. Mostly city driving. I've heard some say that oil consumption at this rate is nothing to be concerned about, but this is the first car I've ever owned that started using oil this early. Is there anything I ought to ask the dealer specifically to check since it is still under warrenty?
  • jd3456jd3456 Member Posts: 1
    I recently fixed the exact problem both of you mentioned - tach needle jumping up and down while driving and at idle, no accelleration, and stalling. It turned out to be the distributor (not the cap, but the distributor itself). I had it in three times before the mechanic caught this on a test drive. The mechanic was at least clueing in when he was troubleshooting because the engine computer was registering ignition failure codes. After two failed replacement rebuild parts, they have one in that is working and the problem is gone. I hope this helps.
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    Hi! Has anyone else had problems with their emergency brake rattling in their 2002 SL 2.5's? Mine makes a "click" everytime I step on the brake at a slow speed, like waiting to get on the freeway at those green/red lights where you creep up to the light. It also rattles! I went to the dealer, and they ordered me a new brake, but that was 3 weeks ago! How has everyone elses experience been at the dealerships regarding warranty work?
  • ryan226ryan226 Member Posts: 1
    See post #108 by nickm2. I have a 2000 Nissan Altima with the same problem. It's at the dealer now in fact, having a last minute inspection before the warranty is up. The tech guessed it could be a worn belt. I found two service bulletins that I thought could even possible apply, NTB99052 and NTB00-005. It's not bad, the car still drives great, but it's new and I'm concerned. anyone else heard of this?!
  • blu1blu1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 altima and i have taken it to the dealer twice because the driver's side front window rattles when it is partially down, it rattles whenever i hit a bump or rough pavement. They have tightened the regulator and i guess reset the rubber sealing and it still rattles--help please? anyone else have this problem? or a solution/suggestion? thanks for any assistance
  • khoner13khoner13 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 SL with a sunroof, and you can reset the sunroof by opening the sunroof to the full vent position. It is explained in the manual.
  • vindervinder Member Posts: 1
    has anyone noticed the very pronounced dash reflection on the 2002 Altima? I rented a 2002 and found that to be very annoying--more so than in any other car I have driven. Is that something that can be corrected. One car magazine review mentioned that as a negative.Has anyone else experienced this?
  • ling1403ling1403 Member Posts: 3
    NO, definitely not.

I have a 4 cyl. auto. 2.5s. Have any of you experienced some tapping noise from the engine hood? It is like a noise from circulation of chain or belt. It is not so noticible when the car is running, but in idling condition, it is very noticible. I took the car to a Nissan dealer, but what I heard was simply 'normal'.
    Any of you know how to erase it?
    Any comment will be appreciated so much.

From Eugene, OR
  • ling1403ling1403 Member Posts: 3
    NO, definitely not.

I have a 4 cyl. auto. 2.5s. Have any of you experienced some tapping noise from the engine hood? It is like a noise from circulation of chain or belt. It is not so noticible when the car is running, but in idling condition, it is very noticible. I took the car to a Nissan dealer, but what I heard was simply 'normal'.
    Any of you know how to erase it?
    Any comment will be appreciated so much.

From Eugene, OR
  • mark38lmark38l Member Posts: 10
    I have a 99 Altima with 100,000 miles and just brakes replaced so far. Runs so good I dislike having major service items replaced. I do the usual oil and xmission changes etc. But not replaced plugs or timing belt. How safe is it to postpone or never replace the timing belt? I dislike mechanics pulling the engine apart to do that, seems like other problems get introduced. Anyone ever go 150,000 miles on an original timing belt?
  • gslevegsleve Member Posts: 183
    aren't required to see that much mileage without replacement it'd be interesting to see how the computer reacts when these maintenance items are performed. You can count on the engine racing at 2500 rpms due to the shock introduced to the ECM you'll have to give it time to get acclimated to the change because it's just so radical and not gradual.

You're in for a real surprise, the computer can only compensate so much and for a so long.
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    The altima uses timing chain instead of belt, so there is no need to change it right now, you can go until you hear some symptom that suggest your chain need to be changed, but that would normally happens around 150k - 200K.

But, for plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor. You need to change them. even for performance and fuel economy purpose. You will be amazed to see how much better the car performs after replacing them. I have done all of that on my car when it had 70K and noticed a real performance and MPG gain.

The distributor on 95-99 altima is not very reliable, if you don't change the cap&rotor, you will stress it and it will fail sooner or later - which will cost you about $300. I have heard a lot of people had distributor went north around 100K mark (most are around 120K though). So, it would be good to replace all of them NOW!
  • mickei26mickei26 Member Posts: 2
    i've been having problems with my altima's door locks for about 2 weeks now. first the driver's side. the key goes in but won't turn or anything. so i've been unlocking my car from the passenger side. (i don't have remote entry-but i do have power locks) yesterday the same thing happened to the passenger side door!!! i have two keys to my car and tried them both. nothing. since the trunk still opens i figured the keys weren't the problem. or maybe they are i don't know. i called a nissan dealer and they told me to try wd-40. i sure hope this works. :( any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    If the key does not work, it has little to do with power lock. It is the linkage that opens the door when your turns the key. (From what you describ, the unlock function on the power lock works OK.) So, the best thing to do is: remove the door panel and see which part of the linkage is broken. Since the power lock is connected directly to the lock/unlock pin, it can still function even the key does not.

It is farely easy to remove the door panel and inspect yourself before use any chemical - which may make it worse, then you need you pay $$$$ to get it fixed.
  • dash11dash11 Member Posts: 1
    I'm working on my 3rd Nissan. The thing that I like about the engine is the timing chain (versus a belt on other engines that might need replacing at 60k - 100k miles). My 1991 Stanza was running great with 184k miles on the original timing chain, until it was totaled by a rear collision last week.

I expect the same use out of my 2001 Altima (21k miles).
  • blu1blu1 Member Posts: 2
    my 2001 altima driver's side door window rattles when it is partially down, i've taken it to the dealer twice-- they have adjusted the regulator and the rubber seal and that has not corrected the problem. it is so annoying, if anyone has any suggestions please HELP. Thank you
  • beefy620beefy620 Member Posts: 1
    96 altima gxe has under 75k done all routine checks and replacements there is a sort of clicking or scraping noise coming from what seems to be where the timing chain is located. the car runs perfectly to my knowledge. One opinion says its just a guide that can be easily removed. want to know if anyone has had similar problems and if it just is the guide or if I need to get the timing chain replaced.(which isn't cheap) Any suggestions???
  • johnk13johnk13 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had a problem with cracks in the
    front wind shield of 2002 altimas?