Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    beaghibeaghi Member Posts: 34
    Yes, your are not alone with this problem. I wrote the #154 and #156. I have tried the basic things (spark plugs, gaz filter, PCV valve) and the stalling kept occuring (about once per month). I have recently tried the fuel-intake cleaner and the throttle body cleaner but I still see the RPM under 500 some time after deceleration. It has not stalled since but I think that it will. So I still do not have a solution. If someone has the solution please write it for us.
  • Options
    I am no mechanic or even a handyman, but I have heard of oxygen sensors or similar items causing this type of problem. I don't use the dealers, instead I found a top notch local mechanic. He builds race cars and races, but has his own shop. I am sure there are several mechanics like this in any town. I would do some research and find one to help solve the problem. Radio stations sometimes have local mechanics on talk shows and they are usually your better mechanics. I also have a 94 Altima, but to date it has been almost flawless in 115k miles. No fluid losses at all and never a starting or running problem.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    myjets9044myjets9044 Member Posts: 3
    ANYBODY WITH THE SIX CYLNDER HAVING A STARTING PROBLEM...AFTER PARKING CAR AND UPON RETURNING VEHICLE WOULD NOT START...THIS HAS HAPPENED 3 TIMES... HAD BATTERY CHECKED OUT TWICE AND NO PROBLEMS NOTED. IF YOU LET THE CAR SIT A WHILE IT WOULD RESTART. ONE TIME I JIGGLED SHIFT LEVER AND IT STARTED..I WONDER IF THERE IS A SWITCH IN SHIFT UNIT THAT WOULD SHUT VEHICLE FROM STARTING...ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE WITH THE SAME STARTING PROBLEM... ONLY 200 MILES ON VEHICLE...HOPE IT'S NOT ONE OF THOSE COMPUTER PROBLEMS. AGAIN LOST TIME IN MAINTAINANCE AREA ---ABBREVIATION FOR "ALTIMA" --AGAIN LOST TIME IN MAINTAINANCE AREA
  • Options
    gmn22gmn22 Member Posts: 2
    did any one see the report on tv about air bags on altimas and maximas that were severely hurting people?i am close to buying an altima (3.5) or a maxima. just can't decide! can any body help? gmn22
  • Options
    aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    That report about the airbags was on Dateline (not exactly a bastion of journalistic integrity) and referred only to the airbags in '94-'95 Altimas. Other Nissans are not affected by the issue.
  • Options
    pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    Where does one go to order (online) original Nissan parts ? My Altima needs some TLC right now to keep her running smooth. Thanx for your help.
  • Options
    myjets9044myjets9044 Member Posts: 3
    Brought car into dealer to figure why car would not start.. previous message #39... and they say there is a safety switch tied into the shift lever.They made an adjustment to switch or whatever and that was end of the problem...We will now see if it happens again in not wanting to start... So as of now,problem solved...We hope.
  • Options
    radar1977radar1977 Member Posts: 3
    ryan226 and/or nickm2 - are you still out here on the boards? I read posts of yours about your Altimas where you talked about a noise first thing in the morning that sounds like a chain dragging across concrete. Did you ever find out what that was or get it stopped? Mine does make a new noise first thing, but it really doesn't sound like a chain - more like part of the exhaust system rattling. The shop keeps messing with the heat shields and the noise gets worse, so I think they have the right area, just can't get it fixed. After the car is warm, the noise goes away, but it is very irritating to start each day this way. I would appreciate hearing from anyone else who make have experienced this or has any other ideas on what it could be. It is a 1997 Altima GLE with 44,000 miles. Thanks!
  • Options
    If you have the problem described in the post #154, #156 and #164 here is your solution. The problem is related to the idle which was not properly adjusted on all 93 and 94 Altimas. The only thing that needs to be done is to follow the idle adjustment procedure: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF8&safe=off&frame=right&th=bb25a369c4d3b1a8&seekm=19990106130831.05623.00003079%40ng-ch1.aol.com I did it and it solved my problem right away. Good luck!
  • Options
    jft26jft26 Member Posts: 35
    Does the '98 Altima have adjustments for Camber and Caster?
  • Options
    funkrangerfunkranger Member Posts: 1
    '95 Altima with 78k miles died twice in 3 months with an apparently similar problem (engine hesitated briefly before dying, first time shortly after starting car and second time after 15 minutes of highway driving) and had to be towed. Expected better from Nissan - will soon be traded in for Accord or Camry. First time Pep Boys said distrib cap was cracked and replaced it and did long overdue tuneup (rotor, wires, plugs) along with replacing leaking valve gasket. Second time trusted neighborhood mechanic ran it around the block a couple times with no problems one day and then tried it again the next day and it died. He checked electric and fuel systems before punting, suggesting I take it to the dealer. Dealer replaced cap, rotor and wires (again) after concluding cheap aftermarket Pep Boys part were to blame! I will be paying Pep Boys a visit with the old parts (but don't expect much sympathy). I wonder if the problem has really been addressed and fear another inconvenient and expensive breakdown before I trade it in the next few weeks. Sounds a bit like some of the distributor problems mentioned earlier. What is the difference between the "distributor" itself and the distributor cap and rotor? If the distributor was faulty (as was the case with previous poster) can I expect that the dealer would have caught this? Any insights appreciated!
  • Options
    altima5altima5 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Altima automatic. Some rattling noise is produce at the start up time and it will go away after the engine is warmed up. I took it to the dealer, first they said is the idle pulley worn out and it doesn't correct the problem after I paid for the repair. I took it back the second day, they said the steering belt is loose and it still doesn't correct the problem again. I took it back and complain to the service representative about the repair. Finally, they said some of the Altima has the time chain guide problem. And they said this is normal and do not require any repair. I would like see anyone experience problem. Thank for in advance for any input.
  • Options
    pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    Yes, why not ?
  • Options
    meegs24meegs24 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone experienced the ignition locking up on the 02 Altima? I have had this happen twice where the key will not turn at all so I have to fight with the steering wheel to unlock it. I have seen instances in other cars where the ignition locks up and a simple turn of the steering wheel would clear up the issue. Not in this case! I have had to sit there and struggle with this thing for about 5 minutes before it finally unlocks.
  • Options
    gmn22gmn22 Member Posts: 2
    can any one tell me if you have to use super unleaded gas with the 02 altimas (4 cyl, and 6 cyl) and the 02 maximas? i cant seem to get a straight scoop from even the dealers! thanks gmn
  • Options
    dfsotodfsoto Member Posts: 4
    The other day I had an oil change at the dealer and I went back home to check that they did the work (I am kind of paranoic that way). Anyway I opened the lid on the winshield washer tank and it seems like a part is missing. I am talking about the stick that has a filter attached to it, it is used to figure out how much washer you have left. I have seen it in my girlfriend's Accord so maybe I am confused. My question is: Can anybody please check the winshield washer tank and see if there is another part inside the tank?
    Thanks
  • Options
    dfsotodfsoto Member Posts: 4
    The manual says to use 90 octane or more. Most gas stations usually they have 87,89,91 and sometimes 93 octane. So that means you have to use the most expensive one! It sucks specially when you drive 100 miles a day like me!
  • Options
    The 4-cylinder Altima needs only regular (87 octane) gas. Like dfsoto said, the V6 recommends premium, but it will actually run on regular though you may lose some power and mileage.
  • Options
    leomaccord1leomaccord1 Member Posts: 21
    My BIL currently owns an 02 2.5S with the auto and recently he is having engine problems. The car starts and idles fine, but once he engages drive, the engine stumbles and feels like it will stall any moment. Acceleration is very rough until around 40 mph where it kind of levels off. Kick the throttle in at 40 and it doesn't drop a gear and accelerate, instead it justs revs in its current gear for a few seconds and then finally kicks in and jolts without any warning... O2 sensor? Fuel filter? computer? It's a sporatic action that doesn't happen all the time, and due to Murphy, it doesn't rear its ugly head for the dealer service dept. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    mike1qazmike1qaz Member Posts: 93
    Has anyone tried any of the newer plugs in older altimas and had any improvement in performance or efficiency. I just changed my son's plugs in his 95 Alti at 170k and just replaced what had been in for the last 70k miles, standard autolite plugs. Thats right, 70k on regular plugs. I couldn't believe how good they looked too.

I'm curious if Platinum or iridium plugs would be worth the added expense in his car.
  • Options
    1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    Where can I get the factory repair manual for a 2002 Altima, hopefully at a discount?

Thanks.
  • Options
    May be you should try the dealer first. I bought one with my 1994 Altima and Nissan charged only 20$us. So it is not too bad for the original version.
  • Options
    jamietbjamietb Member Posts: 2
    I have seen others with their 2002 Altima using oil. My 2.5 S used a couple of quarts before I realized it. At first the dealer said it couldn't be so. But when the problem continued they acknowledged that some "early production model" Altimas had a problem with rings not seating properly. They replaced the short block and said that would fix the problem. 900 miles later still seems to be using too much oil. Other problems include a window that rattles when rolled all the way down and heat from the vents even though the heat is all the way off.

Thinking that maybe I need to dump this puppy before it turns into a full blown lemon. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    bonhoefferbonhoeffer Member Posts: 1
    Tried to change the automatic transmission filter on a '94 Altima, but was unsuccessful because one of the bolts holding it in place was a stud with an exposed nut. When we tried to unscrew the nut, the whole stud turned and never moved in or out. Anyone else have experience changing transmission filters on Altimas? Ever had a problem like this?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    acmeroadrunnracmeroadrunnr Member Posts: 81
    sorry to hear that the 2.5 is using oil. did you break it in gently? my 3.5 hasn't used any in 6000 miles. changed it at 2k, 3.5k and 5.2k
  • Options
    saokesaoke Member Posts: 2
    '95 Nissan Altima
    5 speed
    Bought used several days ago. My first car.
    I found the idle speed at reverse gear is twice higher than at 1st gear.
    Who knows the reason of this?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    buffette11buffette11 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 02 Altima two weeks ago and love the car so far. The 8-way seat actually makes my bad back feel better. I haven't had it long enough to check oil consumption, but I found a strange problem. The automatic lights-on-at-dusk feature works, but if you pass under a bright streetlight, all the lights shut off! They'll snap back on in a few seconds, but it's very alarming. I've been told there's no way to adjust the sensor. Is there a fix, and has anyone else experienced this?
  • Options
    andy2470andy2470 Member Posts: 9
    Been there, done that. I am the owner of a 1996 Altima that currently has 181,000 miles on the odometer. The high mileage is mostly highway. The stalling problem is fairly common on this car and it is the distributor. This is really expensive. Expect to pay $500 to $900 for labor and the cost of the part. Nissan distributors are made by Hitachi and they have a high rate of failure. Mine died in March of 2001 at about 150,000 miles but some may go sooner. The symptoms are engine stalling soon after starting if the engine is still warm. It will sometimes let you start the engine and drive away before stalling in traffic. It will give you the impression that you are running out of gas when you are not. Let the car sit for at least 30 minutes and sometimes it will restart and you can drive away. This is only temporary. It will eventually go all together and will result in the engine rotating but not starting.
  • Options
    sutphinsutphin Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a 5 speed tranmission for 96 Altima.The bearing has went on mind,seal went to leaking email me sutphin33@hotmail.com
  • Options
    piecekeeperpiecekeeper Member Posts: 18
    Just picked up 03 2.5 Altima. Has 99 miles on it. Turn off engine and something keeps running for about five seconds or more. Sounds like the noise is coming from the generator area. Belts are not turning when I hear the noise. Sounds like the generator is free wheeling. Anyone else with this problem?????Does the oil filter spin inside and could that be the problem???? Please contact me at piecekeeper2502@aol if you can help me. Thanks
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    It could be the fan? They are regulated by temperature and sometimes run briefly after the car is turned off. Have you checked your owners manual? Perhaps there is an explanation there. If not, call the dealer and ask.
  • Options
    Thanks for those who replied to the strange sound I get after the engine is turned off. I took the car to the dealer and he listened to it. The service manager said this was new to him. He then got another new 02 Altima off the lot, started the car up, turned off the engine and we heard the same sound. He said he thinks its air pressure being released someplace under the hood. I know the noise is coming from the area of the alternator.....So, all 2.5's probably have the same sound when the engine is turned off.....
    If you listen to yours, let me know if you hear it...I can't believe the two new cars we looked at had the same problem...Thanks
  • Options
    xceleratorxcelerator Member Posts: 1
    My 96 is running well w/ 99k miles and only minor repairs. One strange and irritating issue I have is the squeaking from the shifter which gets extremely bad when I turn on the AC. I have tried to lube the shifter from the top by pulling off the dust boot etc. Also, the clutch gives a raspy squeak thru the last 1-2 inches of travel. Fluid is fine though.
    ....for post#90, try oem-car-parts.com which offers discount parts along with exploded parts diagrams.
  • Options
    Have a 2003 2.5S Altima. Have 350 miles on it. After we turn the engine off, something around the alternator keeps running for about five seconds. I put a screw driver to the alternator and the sound was coming from it. It sounds like the alternator is still running, like the brushes haven't stopped for some reason or the other. Took it to the dealer who said this is new to him. Service manager got another 2003, started it up, turned it off, engine made the same sound. I've had many cars and have never had anything keep running after the engine was turned off, nothing but the rad. fan....The problem is you can hear the noise from the inside of the car, and its even louder when your outside.....Any ideas what this could be? Please contact me at piecekeeper2502@aol.com, if your a Altima 2.5 owner with the same sounding engine...
  • Options
    Since my post, # 180, I took the car to the dealer who stated all Altimas make that sound. He said its part of the air intake system. Doesn't sound like air escaping to me. I will investigate the engine on my own.
  • Options
    ultimaultima Member Posts: 96
    This may be of asstance to some folks...

http://www.altimas.net/tsb/

Altima TSB (Technical Service Bulletins)

• Options
    quaqua Member Posts: 3
    if you have 01 Altima GXE please stick your hand all the way
    down inside the right compartment where the tire jack are stored
    during raining day or after car wash (check it any way)
    Mine have about 4-5” of water inside!!! I am not even sure
    how long the water been accumulate in there because it has been
    raining hard this week in Jersey. I am not sure if there are any
    wires run between door frame through that compartment, I will bring it
    back to the dealer and see what they will say.
    I wonder if this is the cause that some time the power lock will
    Unlock itself on and off, and the double park signal will go crazy too.
    Most of the time I just ignore them and it will fix itself!
    This time I better take it back to the dealer.

Stay tune…
  • Options
    fastaltfastalt Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2002 Altima 3.5SE. Great car except I notice a vibration in the steering wheel, when breaking, that starts at 40mph and stops at 20 mph. This only happens when driving over 55mph and then having to brake. This is not during a "hard" brake but it happens even when applying the brakes lightly. The car has 2700 miles and it has happened since it was new. Anybody else experience this? I hesitate to take it to the "professionals" at my dealer.
  • Options
    zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    How many miles were on the car when you bought it. It's bad enough that the rotors are paper-thin to save weight, but if they're not broken in gradually, they'll warp. It should be covered under warranty - have them replaced.
  • Options
    fastaltfastalt Member Posts: 24
    Thanks. that's what I thought as well. I know what the dealer will say. They will say it was my fault for breaking too hard(which I never did), and it is not covered under warranty..that's bull. The car had around 100 miles on it when I got it...thanks for you help
  • Options
    zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    manufacturers usually cover brake rotors, and many times brake pads within the first 12 months and 12,000 miles. Don't sweat it.
  • Options
    tmnjalttmnjalt Member Posts: 19
    I bought a 2.5s auto on 10/10/02 with conv package
    and fog lights. I knew what to expect as far as
    interior material quality and engine noise, but I'm also experiencing the following problems:

1. a creaking or groaning sound from the front
    suspension, it happens intermittently during
    low speed maneuvers (parking lots etc) and
    when accelerating briskly from a stop.
    2. a whining or whistling sound from the
    engine at rpms above 2600, this could be
    normal for this engine.

These sounds usually can't be heard with the
    radio playing, so you have to turn it off and
    listen carefully. If anyone else is experiencing
    similar problems let me know. I have a service
    appt on 10/21 and I'll pass along any info.
  • Options
    fernando6fernando6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 SE V-6 with the automatic transmission. I love this car with the exception of one thing. I keep hearing a noise under the hood on cold starts. It sounds like a low-level grinding noise as if parts aren't meshing together properly. It only happens on cold starts. Once the engine is warm there is no noise. Has anyone else had this problem? I've taken it to two dealers and I get the same answer - "We can't get it to make the noise". Can anyone give me some help?
  • Options
    The consensus seems to be that the noise you're hearing is the hydraulic tensioner for the timing chain. It's normal and won't hurt your car.
  • Options
    This is a follow-up to my post #56-
    On the groaning noise - dealers tech re-torqued all suspension fittings and so far the problem seems to be resolved.
    As for the engine whining - tech says its normal
    for that engine- related to air intake and large
    plastic plenum. Maybe thats part of the trade-off for the excellent performance from this 4 cyl.
  • Options
    flea4flea4 Member Posts: 6
    I have 2002 Altima,v-6,3.5l and my front tires are wearing like crazy.They are Firestone Turanzas
    17 inch low profile.I had to replace them at about 3,700 miles,they were damn near bald.Firestone replaced them with no problem at all until I approached them at about 8,500 miles and they were about bald again.They told me that they were recieving a lot of complaints about the
    '02 Altimas & Nissans,that they were wearing tires like crazy.The car is lined up on a regular basis.Has anyone else had this problem & if so,what did you do?
  • Options
    flygoflygo Member Posts: 2
    Same as msg#32, I am encountering the same vibration problem. It settled in whenever the car was stopped in gear. I could feel the vibration through the steering column and brake pedal, especially when the weather's getting cold. Does anyone have the same problem or I just got a lemmon?
  • Options
    lexconnerlexconner Member Posts: 25
    Do 1994 Altimas have seperate power steering belts
    or are they part of a single belt. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    andy2470andy2470 Member Posts: 9
    On the 2.4L Altima engines only two belts are used. One is a serpentine belt and runs the alternator,water pump and power steering pump. The A/C compressor has its own separate belt. Expect to pay about $15 total for both belts.
  • Options
    flygo- I'm having same vibration problem idling
    in drive. I bought the car on 10/10 only have 900 miles on it. I did not notice the rough idle during the test drive but it may have been there.
    I also have a slight high pitched whining noise from the engine at rpms above 2700-2800 but dealer claims this normal (see post 59). I think we need to complain loudly to Nissan until these problems are fixed. I will post any new info. Please do the same if you get any news.