Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dschandschan Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 GXE started having an engine noise around 21,000 miles, similar to Sandman's post #142. Sandman described it as a "sewing machine" like noise. I think it sounded like a cartoon spring going "oing-oing-oing...", with the rate of noise proportional to engine RPM. The sound came from the pulleys between the engine and passenger side wheel well. Got it fixed under warranty a few weeks ago, now the car is quiet again.
  • nissanpa1nissanpa1 Member Posts: 1
    I see a lot of posts about timing chains in Altimas, but nothing that answers "when should it be replaced". Took my '96 Altima (158K mi) to the dealer today because of a rattling noise that goes away once the car warms up. The mechanic said it's the timing chain, "...might fail tomorrow, might last another 100,000 miles". He said it would cost $2100 to repair. Seems kind of high, and I'd like to avoid the expense if I could. Question: how can I tell when it absolutely needs to be replaced?
  • according2meaccording2me Member Posts: 236
    My sons 95 gxe timing chain is also noisy. It has been for the last 50K miles. He now is at 180K and, like the dealer said, it could go anytime.

Unfortunately, this chain is not very easy to get to in order to replace it. It's very labor intensive.

I have seen no posts at what mileage these chains actually have broken. It would be interesting to find this data in order to make an informed decision.

Altimas.net has some info about people changing them and whats involved in doing so, but not about actual breakages and when they occurred.

If you find any statistics about this, please post it here.
  • rocky_2114rocky_2114 Member Posts: 1
    I'm tying to find out if any one has had a car fire in the engine area. My wife Altima engine area had a fire on Friday. she was driving and was told by some people driving behind her. There was no light on the dash and the car was running when she stop. I looks like it was in the air cleaner area. I tying to find out if this is a problem before I call Nissan to reported. We like the and before I buy a new one I want to make sure this is not a problem.

Thanks for you help. you can email at rockyp@dialupnet.com
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,285
    Has anyone installed an external disc changer in a 02/3 Altima? I just a 2.5S. I like the factory sterio so I'd like to install an external disc changer that will play through it.

If you've done this, please let me know how you laid it out. Where did the unit go and where did the controls go?

Thanks for your hlep
  • johnncjohnnc Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Altima 2003 3.5 SE with 7.5k miles. I've been 'dancing' with my dealer about a shimmy in the front end between 55-70 MPH.
    They balanced and 'road force' balanced the tires 3 times, then replaced two of them (one came in worse than OEM and we waited a week for that replacement). Even with two new tires, all within 'Nissan spec' for road force, the front end shimmies badly at highway speeds. We are soon approaching Nissan about this directly and wanted to know how many other 02-03 Altima drivers have this problem? BTW, tires are the 17" Bridgestone Turanza's. Please respond, especially if you found a successful solution! Thanks.
  • ronsahnronsahn Member Posts: 2
    I have bought an '03 Altima 2.5S, and found out that the re-circulation light automatically turned off when the air flow control dial was turned to "floor". The dealer tells me it is so by design. I would understand the automatic turn-off when the dial is turned to "defog" or "defog & floor" in order to let the outside air in.
    But, I don't think, when the heater's working, it is not necessary to automatically turn off the re-circulation.

Can anyone who owns an 03 Altima 2.5S verify my dealer's claim?

Thanks.
  • altimanaltiman Member Posts: 9
    '03 Altima 3.5S specs claim a 20 gallon tank, but I've never been able to squeeze more than 16.5 in it, even on dead "E". Anybody else experience this? Is it really 20 gals? Can I have the gauge re-calibrated?
  • altimanaltiman Member Posts: 9
    '03 Altima 3.5S specs claim a 20 gallon tank, but I've never been able to squeeze more than 16.5 in it, even on dead "E". Anybody else experience this? Is it really 20 gals? Can I have the gauge re-calibrated?
  • vidtechvidtech Member Posts: 212
    just rented one of these altimas.i can't see why anyone would buy one of these.they are junk.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    You are entitled to your opinion, but could you expand on your reasoning of why the Altima is a piece of junk. Part of your dislike may be due to the fact that it is a rental car, which has been beaten on, not properly broken in etc. People here would respect your belief more if you provided your experience of the problems with the Altima, instead of a blanket statement like: "just rented one of these altimas.i can't see why anyone would buy one of these.they are junk."
    i am sorry i was so vague,here are my dislikes of the altima.
    1.harsh,uncomfortable ride
    2.very akward controls,wipers,headlights etc.
    3.uncomfortable seating and driving position
    4.difficulty entering and exiting vehicle.
    5.with four adults,the ground clearance is so small,that every piece of road debris that everyone was driving over seemed to get caught somewhere underneath.
    I couldn't wait to get back into my worn out,86 ford.
  • beaghibeaghi Member Posts: 34
    Nobody forces you to drive a save and reliable car. You can go back to your old 86 car and keep putting money in it. I have been driving my Altima for the last 9 years (190000) and beleive me, nothing of what you said will impress any Altima driver.
  • ronbert1ronbert1 Member Posts: 1
    The dealer was telling the truth (this time). Nissan added this feature to keep the vehicle from flash fogging the windshield. Previously, when the driver changed mode from the defrost position (or def/foot - both of which forces AC on and fresh air) to foot position, the window would re-fog (with AC off in Recirc mode).
    FYI - for '03, another added feature is the compressor stays engaged, anytime after def or def/foot mode is used (until the next key off). This may help explain some of the fuel economy questions - although it would have little effect with low head pressure during colder weather.
  • colie74colie74 Member Posts: 42
    Truby, have you called a LL Attorney? They still may be able to help. I am pushing my car through LL (and then getting rid of it so I am here bc I will be gettig an Altima) right now. It's been in the shop for a trunk leak 4 times now. The manufacturer may not buy the car back, but they may offer me several thousand dollars for my inconvienence and to settle as no fault of their own. In other words, to shut me up :)! PLUS I get a higher up factory rep who will be flown out to personally correct the problem which the lawyer knows needs to be done, but the service people haven't bothered to go as far as to get it fixed completely. So all in all, I win no matter what and it doesn't cost me anything if I don't get anything excpet the car fixed.

You may want to call one anyways and have them look over your case.

Good luck, I know it sucks.

Nicole
  • socalstevesocalsteve Member Posts: 34
    I have had the problem with the low fuel light and dte giving a low number also, only to fill up and the tank taking 15.5 gallons at most. I had been wondering if anyone else had run into this. Should we just not believe that gauge/low fuel indicator?
  • trudytootrudytoo Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any advice or expeirence driving thru saltwater flooded streets? I can not always avoid this and really don't want to drive any thing but a sedan.
  • beaghibeaghi Member Posts: 34
    Nice try but the Altima does not have a time belt. It has a timing chain. What is the difference? A timing belt needs to be replaced every 100000KM (60000Miles) while a timing chain need to be replaced every 350000KM (200000Miles). Therefore, I do not mind if it is 2100$ to replace since most of the Altima driver will never have to replace it.
  • ronsahnronsahn Member Posts: 2
    I think it is really 16.5 gal rather than 20.0

I had the same problem, so I did an experiment.
    We get the tank size if we divide dte(distance to empty) by avg. MPG.

I filled up the tank, and reset the average MPG.
    Then I started driving, and checked the average MPG and dte(distance to empty). DTE reading was around 450 miles, and avg. MPG was around 26. When dividing DTE by avg MPG, I get around 17 gal.

I am sure that we don't have 20 gal. gas tank in Altima...
  • rxurxu Member Posts: 5
    Try to put a fuel filter on my 1999 Altima. It's very hard to get it off the rubber gas hose - the hose grab the filter so tight. Is there anytrick to make it easier?
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    you are accustomed to driving Old Iron. Car technology has changed tremendously since 86 and the Altima has a lot of new technology.The car is great for the price.
  • pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    Lucky for you, I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. Yes, getting the hose off is a pain in the butt. I struggled with it for about an hr. The way I did it, I used a pair of pliers to (gently) grab the upper hose and (gently) twist it back and forth while pulling. It will come out. Remember to hold the filter and not let it twist. You may need to pop the filter out of its clamp for leverage. Once the upper hose is off, park it pointing up so fuel won't leak out. Then use the plier to grab the lower hose while twisting the filter back and forth to pull it off. Once it's about to come off, stop, and get ready to put a finger in the filter's lower tube to stop the fuel from spilling out (and there's lots of it).

To put the new one on, install the lower hose to the filter first. Then put the filter back in the clamp and put the upper hose back in. Good luck.
    you can't beat old iron(as long as it is safe and dependable).its like archie bunkers chair.its nice and broken in...in just the right areas.
  • rxurxu Member Posts: 5
    I believe the freezing tempteture also make the hose contract. I'll try the way you did it and I'll warm the hose up a little. Thank you very much, pda97!
    Dude, if you just rented an altima and don't own one or plan on it, what the heck are you doing here? You are adding nothing to thread of any value. So what if you didn't like it! Seriously, what are you even doing wandering over here. You sound like a complete whiner! How can you actually state that the car is junk? Based on what? That is stretching it, in my opinion. Now if you owned it for say 3 years and had nothing but problems with the car like in my case on my American made car, then ya, you can say it's junk. But I don't think you are by any means and expert on the altima to even go as far as stating it's junk. This thread is for altima owners or future owners looking to do research. So bug off, unless you have actual usefull comments regarding the altima.

Nicole
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    But I must agree.... I sold my 03 3.5 Altima to my mom who loves it... so did I, but bein 20ish I wanted to try my hand at a sportier, manual trany car, I must concure the altima's are a very long lasting car, the only american made car that I could even think of comparing it to was the 92 buick lesabre I just sold with 190,000 + miles on it... w/o a single major problem. not to knock ford or chevy, but my parents have always been a ford or chevy buyers till they got into there Alima, and Accords... I don't think they'll go back... CYA we'll drop by latter
  • gslevegsleve Member Posts: 183
    mind when using pliers to grab the hoses, place a terry cloth over the hose you're trying to grab in this way you won't mar the hoses creating the possiblity of a leak or tear within the rubber.

While performing this task is an arduous one you'll learn through experience a better way to tackle it next time I own a maxima and it to is very difficult to access and replace however I've facilitated the process for the next fuel filter replacement by using a little armor all on the ends of the filter lines this eases the rubber line onto the ends of the filter while allowing for easier detachment later.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,285
    Responding to a post from Altiman, I had my 3 week old 2.5S in today to check the calibation on the gas guage. Same deal, even when it's on E and the trip computer says 30 miles to empty, it only takes between 15 and 16 gallons.

The dealer so that it's working fine, so the tank can't be 20 gallons. I can live with that, I just want to know for sure.

If anyone out there routinely get more than 16 gallons into their tank, please give us a shout.
    greatings.... unfortunatly I've run this thing completely dry.... it took like 19.3 gallons or something close to that.... I don't know why it has such a large reserve.... but if you run it till the bells and warning things flash .... I've come to a rutien of it normally taking 18 - 19.... I think they rounded the 19.somthin to 20.... but oh well... just thought I'd let you know...
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    know that owners will run those things down to the last drop, so call it "psychological warfare". If, at 5 gallons remaining, you think your car is empty, you'll fill up. If not, you'll be too busy and you'll run it dry, causing failed fuel pumps, them charging you for repairs, and bad feelings all around.
  • poetistpoetist Member Posts: 1
    I cannot explain it, but my car alarm on my '03 Altima 3.5 goes off at night. The dealer said that maybe someone is playing a prank on me, but I was there once when it just went off by itself. No one was triggering it.

Then they suggested that I check the remotes. I said the remote lies on my desk, with nothing pressing against the buttons.

The last thought was to only use the remote to enter the car, okay... I mostly do that. Perhaps a totally of five times in 6 months I used the key in the whole 8 months since I've had the car.

I even was told by the Nisaan shuttle drive to enable it, so I guess I wouldn't have an alarm system in Los Angeles. Now, how smart is that?

Anyway, I'm tired and sleep deprived. I need some help on this.
    Have to agree with ya, my Chevy has been a thorn in my side since I got it, won't buy American again. Also my sis' Ford had problems within months of owning it. My Mom has a honda, my sis went with Volvo and I am going to get the 3.5 Altima with manual for the fun of it!!! Glad you liked yours, nice to hear happy owners. I am like you, I want the fun sportier part of car ownership and opted for the manual in the 3.5. Hope it all works out.

Good luck on car shopping!

Nicole
    My sister had one in an older car and it went off while she was driving and she couldn't get it to turn off. She had it removed. Alarms can be weird. You may just want to remove it.
    If I knew how to drive stick shift I would probably opt for that in my next car I'm gettin over the summer... I'm thinking about gettin another altima, or something else on the sporty side.... not decided about the Manual tranie.... but I'll know in a couple of months...
  • tdk1240tdk1240 Member Posts: 2
    My father has a 2002 Altima 2.5. After a recent rain noticed condensation in the passenger side headlight. Turning the headlight on solved problem. He spoke to Service advisor and was told this is a normal occurance. (???) Anyone else have this problem?
  • jft26jft26 Member Posts: 35
    I have a '98 Altima and I want to replace the PCV Valve. Where the heck is the thing? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • william21william21 Member Posts: 16
    Have been thinking about getting the complete 30,000 service, which is basically an oil change, air filter change and transmission service. The price is kind of high(279.00), but since the car is out warranty soon, it might be a good idea to check everything out. At what point have other owners been getting the plugs and coolant changed. The manual says 100,000 on the plugs and 60,000 on the coolant, but have changed earlier on my other cars. My daughter has enjoyed the car so far and the only problem was a bushing replacement. Hope this car has not inherited the front end problems associated with other Nissans. Have a 93 Nissan Sentra that is a great commuting car, but has never aligned correctly(pulls to the right) had a cracked axle and front bearing problems.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

PCV Valve
    The PCV valve, located under the intake manifold on the rear side of the engine, screws into an oil separator.

To remove:
    Disconnect the vacuum hose from the PCV valve.
    Unscrew the PCV valve from the breather separator under the intake manifold.

To install:
    Screw the PCV valve into the breather separator under the intake manifold.
    Connect the vacuum hose to the PCV valve.
  • monty356monty356 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone experienced their `02 2.5 Altima not starting? Three times mine has failed to start normally. I`ve had to hold the pedal half way to the floor and other times to the floor to get it to start. When it does start it runs rough for a few seconds and spews some smoke like it was flooded. This was after sitting in the garage all night, and it goes for months between occurances. Any ideas?
  • ultimaultima Member Posts: 96
    Are you "pumping" the gas pedal each time before you try and start the motor?

As I understand, you should never pump the pedal before starting... Just turn the key.

As for the "smoke", it's just burning off the fuel caused from pumping the gas pedal.

Mine starts EVERY time without fail, and I NEVER "pump" the pedal before starting.

Hope this helps.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    the fuel pedal on a fuel injected car when starting. It sputters because you're flooding it. Don't do that. If it won't start without gas pedal "help", you have a fuel pump or fuel pressure problem - get it to the dealer.
    Using alcan's (thank you) information I searched again for the PCV Valve on my 98 Altima. I checked from the top under the intake as indicated and I also jacked up the car and checked from below with a drop light. I still can't find the PCV Valve. Also, the replacement FRAM PCV Valve is not threaded. Any further assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • monty356monty356 Member Posts: 3
    We don`t touch the gas pedal normally when starting any of our fuel injected vehicles, only when it fails to start normally. I have read about other 2.5`s doing the same thing, thinking maybe the oxygen sensor.
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    95k, regular maint, no problems except, an oxygen sensor went at 94000, oh well!!!! I have noticed that this car 1997 altima gxe, is not as easy to work on as the other 2 nissans i have had, the water pump and belt would be a nightmare of a job!!!! most other nissans had much easier access, but no complaints, but would like to change the belt and pump asa preventive maint. Still drives like new!!! Nissan built a great car in 97.
  • bigsolbigsol Member Posts: 2
    Bought it new in 97 with the GXE trim and auto tranny. Now has 125k and no problems except for the normal wear items. New brakes, tires and a battery. I also tuned it and changed the anti freeze last year. Most reliable car I have ever owned its never let me down. If I had to find a negative it would be that the ride and handling are not "inspired" as in some of the better drivers cars. Road and wind noise could be a little quieter too. All and all a great reliable car that I would recomend.
  • oskwioskwi Member Posts: 88
    I have been looking into a new/newer car. I currently own a '96 Mitsu Galant with over 175,000 miles on it. The only major problem to date is some clunking which you may have read under the Mitsu forum. That should be fixed w/in the week. :) I am still considering another Galant but am not 100% sold. I wouldn't mind something different. The two people I spoke with who own Mazda's aren't impressed at all...I'm surprised. The one woman told me to buy a Nissan anything and that I would be pleased. The new Altima's don't do much for me personally so I am looking into a new/used. Are there any problems I should be aware of before seriously looking? I've read many posts and the most negative comment has been regarding starting. Having come from a VERY troublesome Chevy before, I would be thrilled with a car that ONLY had starting problems. Re: my car search...it definitely has to be an "import"...I won't go back to the "Big 3". Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    Having owned 3 nissans, along with suv's truck from the big three, I would recommend the the new Altima with the 4 banger. Plenty of power, good mileage, death and taxes reliable. Having owned 1 Altima, and 2 sentra's , the Altima has never even had a light bulb break since buying new in 1996, 97 model. 95k, only an o2 sensor, but they are only suppose to last 50-70k anyway. So for looks, good resale value, Altima has them all beat. ??????? there is nothing to compare it to??? unless its smaller or bigger? the 03 Altima has a lot of room. 1st sentra bought for 900 bucks, drove it for 179k, no problems, except rust. 2nd sentra same thing 119k, rusting, sold for 600 bucks, 97 altima, no rust!!!! they built these cars with similar primer under paint, so chips don't show up, neat little things, big three has a lot to do!!! styleing is not there.
  • ginoc1ginoc1 Member Posts: 2
    According to my Nissan dealer you should not have to replace your PCV valve for routine maintenance . I had wanted to change it on my 98 altima as I've done with past cars, but the dealer mentioned that Nissan does not require this part to be changed/replaced. JFT26- if you insist on replacing it I recommend that you purchase a OEM part.
    To GinoC1 ............. Thank you. I will follow your advice.
  • cruzin2cruzin2 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my '03 Altima for 6 months. Two days ago it developed a terrible odor. Yesterday, I found the problem. Three dead mice in the microfilter compartment. Nissan says it has happened before ,but that it is not a design flaw that animals can get in your vehicle. If the mice eat through wires and cause an electrical short Nissan will not cover it. I was told it is up to me to figure out a way to keep mice from getting into my car! I am not happy at all!