Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• danmoodanmoo Member Posts: 2
    In the past couple of weeks, I've noticed my 2002 2.5S engine whining whenever it hits 3k RPM. This has never happened ever since I bought it new 35k miles ago. It sounds/feels like the engine is in too low of a gear before shifting up. I have auto transmission so I suspect it may have to do with timing of the gear shifting. But I recently learned that this happens at all speeds whether i'm going from 10-30 or 70-80mph. I've taken this to nissan service and they said i have a recall on engine/exhaust manifold and that may have been the cause. After having that replaced and my engine reprogrammed, i still feel the engine whining at 3k rpm. Nissan now says that may be a normal characteristic of the Altima but will take a look at it this Friday.

I also have fuel gauge inaccuracies. Every time I fill up the tank the gauge shows 3/4s full. Nissan had tried to fix the problem last year and now it's re-occuring.

Anyone have similar problems with either the engine whine or fuel gauge? Would appreciate some input/suggestions before i take it in this Friday. Thanks

PS- the kumho tires are performing nicely. Drove from VT to MD through the snow storm that's battering the Northeast right now and nary a slip.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    ...but I have noticed that on the very cold mornings we've been having, the torque converter doesn't fully lock up in fourth gear until the car has been driven 15-20 minutes. Looks like I'll be trying the Kumhos when I need tires.
  • brg3601brg3601 Member Posts: 1
    I own a '94 Altima GXE which is approaching 100,000 miles. I purchased it in the spring of '98 and have had no major problems. I just had it in to the dealership for a LOF and asked them to look it over. They told me that I needed about $900 to $1000 worth of work. I need new front brakes and the belts replaced which I realize is regular maintenance. I don't know much about cars but they said I also needed a CV Boot replaced because it is cracked and I need the Front Crank Shield and a Valve Cover Gasket replaced because they are both leaking. Are these three items considered regular maintenance or should I be concerned as the car is getting older it's starting to deteriorate? The trade in value is estimated at $900 to $1300 and private sale value is estimated at $2000 to $2500. Should I put money into these repairs or should I be concerned that this is the start of more problems and repairs to come due to the age of the car? Any advice would help. Thanks!
    I'm not familiar with the 1993 model, but you can probably save some money by replacing the belts yourself. Are they cracked? The estimate they gave you sounds reasonable for a dealership, but you can probably save money by having the work done at an independent. The car is 11 years old, and everything except the brakes could be related to age instead of wear. Personally, if the car has been dependable, and you like it, I'd keep it until that's no longer true.
  • 90maxima90maxima Member Posts: 14
    The headlights on our 2001 2.5S seems rather dim. We are considering the possibility of adding fog lights to the car to improve the field of view. We'd like to hear from owners with foglights on whether it improve night vision or not. Thank you for your reply.
  • abhijatabhijat Member Posts: 5
    I am having trouble with the ignition distributor with my Altima, 94. I have been given an estimate of 350 bucks (parts and labor) for the distributor, 100 bucks for the power transistor (parts and labor). Are the estimates correct?

The technician is also recommending me to change the spark plugs and the associated wires which adds another 250 bucks to the bargain.

Can somebody please tell me whether-

1) do the above estimates sound ok,
    2) recommend me a web site where I can read about this problem and hence take an eduacted decision.
  • ddnissanddnissan Member Posts: 1
    I have 2002 Altima with 16000 miles, which refuses to start at it's whim and fancy. This is the second time that it refused to start. All that I could hear was clicking sound. Tried to do a jump start that did not work as the battery was good. So called the tow truck and he put it in neutral and the car started (paid $65 for this!). He advised that I should take it to dealer. Any suggestions on what is going on. What would be the cost and will calling Nissan Customer service help? Wish Nissan did provide road side assistance.

Other than this the car is fine.
  • franterschfrantersch Member Posts: 9
    brg3601, I have a 94 GLE with 138K on it. At around 100K I too had to replace the valve cover gasket and the CV boot(on the driver side). Both are very simple (especially the valve cover gasket) to do yourself--I did them both--and if I can learn to do it, anyone can. But for the CV boot, I did have a garage in which I could go to and pay by the hour to put my car on the lift. Hydraulic tools I was able to borrow helped. So if a garage that charges like 2.50$ an hour for lift time is not feasible then maybe get a garage to do it for you. But the valve cover gasket you can definitely do yourself. I also bought All the parts at advanced, saved me beaucoup bucks. Also, I needed new brakes too--I bought all the parts, rotor, pads, etc. and had the garage install them for me. Only paid for labor. Shop around-- 900 bucks seems WAY to pricey. But I did have similar things happen to me.
  • franterschfrantersch Member Posts: 9
    brg3601, p.s. I do believe it is just age.. I have not had to replace the work/parts for any of the problems I just talked about. I would definitely keep the car, I love mine, and it only seems to have minor little maintenence things wrong, knock on wood. Ill keep mine until it dies.
    There is a TSB on this issue:
    "2002-2003 Altima Engine will not crank in Park, but cranks in Neutral" - the Nissan Technical Bulletin number is NTB02-083. I believe they have to replace the Park/Neutral Position switch. It should be covered under warranty.
  • according2meaccording2me Member Posts: 236
    I just replied on the idle/sputtering thread. I'll repost here. It may help other high-mileage 1st/2nd Gen owners.

Check your distributor for oil inside of it. You'll have to remove the cap, rotor, and inside dust cover which protects the camshaft sensor. If oil is on the metal disc wipe it carefully with a paper towel and blow it out of the openings in the metal disc and sensor assy with canned air(some people use electric parts cleaner).

I had to do this to my sons 95 Alti recently. The cause is a worn oil seal on the engine side of the distributor. It cost about $3 from the dealer if you can find a parts man willing to order it for you. I had to go to two different dealers to find one who would.

This is a well known problem for the 1st and 2nd generation Altimas. The dealers like to sell $400 distributors for this problem.

I haven't had to rescue my son since I did this.

If this is your problem, I'll lookup the Nissan part number for you.
  • johnstone53johnstone53 Member Posts: 13
    First Time Poster but Long Time Reader. I have gathered a wealth of knowledge on the Altima threads. Anyway I have a 99GXE with 77k miles. I recently purchased two new rear tires at Pep Boys due to premature wear on the outside. Pep Boys told me at this time that my tie rods needed to be replaced, suggesting that they were responsible for the early wear. I said thanks but no thanks. In my mind how could tie rods be responsible for the tire wear in the rear tires. A few days later I took the car to Midas for their opinion. I have to add here that I have been experiencing a side to side shimmy in the rear when driving over a bump in the road. Midas told me that I needed rear struts. They also added that the tie rods were fine. I am leaning towards having the struts replaced as this seems to make sense regarding the tire wear and the shimmy. I would appreciate any comments
  • sadatxsadatx Member Posts: 70
    Hi,

I own a 2003 2.5S with auto. Currently, have abt 15k miles on the car. All have been trouble free. However, I can hear the engine knocking when inside the car and out. The knocking is not obvious when the car first starts up. The problem surfaces after driving the car for a while (30 minutes or so). When the heat is on, the noise is not that bad, but when the heat is turned off, the noise is obvious. Has anyone exp this behavior yet? I'm going to bring it up to the dealer later this week when I go in for my oil change.

Thanks.
  • tfeudotfeudo Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently using an '04 2.5S as a rental. It only has 5-6K miles on it and the ride seems exceptionally bumpy and the road noise is quite loud. I was thinking of buying one but am not sure if I can live with this noise. I'm not sure how the car will be at 10-20K. Is the 350Z any better? I will have to buy a car soon since my last car was totaled. I would appreciate your comments. thanks.........
    These cars are totally different animals. That said, I can offer some specifics on the Altima:
    - The road noise with the factory Continental tires is bad on rough pavement. They're very quiet on smooth pavement. Kumho makes a quiet tire in this size, or you can go to a plus-zero size for a wider selection.

- My 2002 Altima has had no major repairs at 32,000 miles. I added some Dynamat to help with the road noise, but the main cause is the factory tires.

- If you're considering the 350Z, you would do well to compare it to the Altima 3.5 SE or SL. I highly recommend the optional ABS and side airbags on any Altima.

- You call the Altima's ride bumpy, while I think it could be firmer. If you think the Altima's ride is bumpy, you should probably cross the 350Z off your list. Are the tires in your rental inflated correctly (29 psi front and rear)? This could be the cause of the bumpy ride.
  • lucky59lucky59 Member Posts: 3
    dear sadatx my 03 has been making same exact noise since brand new. Dealer says its injectors. When I lift hood i cant hear it. But inside with everything off and windows up it is very annoying. I think its a lack of insulation letting some relay or switching device noise to resonqate into cabin. You may try searching this site www.altimas.net diesel noise there is a lot disscusion. I thought i was the only nut who was annoyed whith this. My altima has only 4k and runs fine. Overall its a great car for the money. Please post what dealer says after you bring it in .
  • sadatxsadatx Member Posts: 70
    Dealer indicated that this noise/behavior is normal. Actually, this is the 2nd dealer that has told me this. So I guess I will have to live with it. Car has been great thus far since new. I will continue to bring up the same problem at each service maintenence till my warranty runs expires :)
  • abhijatabhijat Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I recently changed the Inginition Distributor on my nissan altima, 94. The car had died in the middle of the road. The mechanic checked the alternator and told me that it was ok.

But the ride is still bumpy in the sense that it tends to stall in the stop and go traffic. It will not turn off, but it seems to be slipping or not picking up speed and sort of bumps when I start it from a rest position.

This starts to happen after I have driven my car for some time, like 10 minutes.

Yesterday a new problem occured, the dashboard light started to go on and off even though the headlights were ok (it was night time).

Can anybody suggest what the problem is and if somebody had similar problems in the past?
  • ultimaultima Member Posts: 96
    Altima Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) can be found here.

http://www.altimas.net/tsb/

For the "No Start" issue:

1. If it happens again, try to start the car when it's in Neutral.

2. Print the "2002-2003 Altima Engine will not crank in Park, but cranks in Neutral" Bulletin from the above link (# NTB02-083) and have Nissan repair it under Warranty.

(:-D
  • quaqua Member Posts: 3
    just want to let you all know that I am very happy with my 01' Altima GXE Auto @ 77,623 miles!
    no major problem (yet). just came back from an oil change at Wal-mart. I have put in lots of driving in this car and still love it.
    kept a very clean repair records about the maintenance, so far total cost till date - $1600, including (most of them are oil change, 2 radiator flush and 1 trans-oil change at 35k)
    4 new tires at 45k miles from Wal-Mart and a brake job, that's it!
    Oh! forgot to mention this - all i feed this guy was 89 Oct from day one, no knocking at all (so far).
    i turned the key, sucker crank.
    yes, the cd/radio panel night light doesn't work,
    but some time it just came on by itself- big deal!
    seriously looking forward to the 05'Altima
  • shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    We have 1997 Altima with 56,000 mile. Till now, it is pretty reliable without any simple problem. At This weekend, when my wife drive it and get out off the high way, she found it does not work on R and 1 position at friend house drive way. After I take a check, I have found the following:

1): the shift switch can shift smooth and quietly as normal.

2): It can start engine at P and N position as normal.

3): When shift to R position, I do NOT feel the engage feeling and the car DOES not move backward. But the back light is on.

4): When shift to 1 position, the car DOES NOT move forward. I am not sure whether the engaging feeling is normal because I can not remember the engaging feeling at 1 position.

5): When shift to D with overdrive ON or OFF, the car drive move smooth as normal, and it accelerate as normal.

6): When shift to 2 position, the car can move forward. I am not sure whether it drives as normal because I can not remember the feeling of driving at 2 position.

7): At P, N, some time at R position, I hear some low whistling sound, But I am not sure it is normal or not.

I have checked the trans fluid and engine oil, both of them have normal smell and level. Trans fluid was changed at 30,000 miles three years ago. The service engine light is OFF. All other gauges are normal too.

While I feel the auto trans is fine, My first doubt is the neutral start switch has broken, and the second doubt is the shift cable is out of alignment. Before I send the car to a garage, does anyone have similar experiment, or any advice to take additional self-check? or know which cause the problem?
    A Nissan Dealer has checked the transmission and found out the hydraulic pressure in transmission is too low. Conclusion is it is internal transmission problem and needs a replacement. I just talked with Nissan representative on phone. This first contact is very friendly and effective. The representative will contact with the service dealear first and will contact me then. This is my second Nissan vehicle I bought as new. I have bought 1983 Nissan Sentra at 1990, which was very reliable. This 1997 Altima also has no simple problem during past 7 years. Now suddenly it needs a transmission. Although it is 7 year old, but it only has 54,450 miles. In original plan, I plan to buy Nissan Maximum at 2007. I will report later.
  • CanyoncrestCanyoncrest Member Posts: 18
    Can anyone tell me where is the jack point at the front of the car? I want to jack up the car and put jack stands beneath the doors.
  • miasimonmiasimon Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2003 Altima with 20k on it and just wanted to find out what others are getting out there in the real world as far as mileage. Preferable would like to know about the 4 cylinder version and would like to know what mileage you get if you run the ac a lot like I do in Arizona. I know what the sticker says now want real world numbers specifically for the Altima.
    Since I didn't not take maintenance at Nissan Dealership, Nissan don't like to help me to support part of the cost. I have took the car to AAMCO. Same conclusion, it needs internal service, and AAMCO said that they dont feel the shift from 1-2-3-4 at D position. You know any internal service of transmission takes $810 labor first, and then figure out what parts needs to replace. The worst case quote from AAMCO is $2,500 dollar (include tax). The dealer's quote is $3,100 plus tax (total is closed to $3,400). Now I regret that I didn't listen my friend suggestion to buy Toyota or Honda at 1997. A lot of friends at my church will learn the lesson.
    Can anyone tell me what they typically get in the way of mileage in the 2002-2003 Altima with the 4 cylinder. I just bought one and am curious. I am especially curious of people who run the a/c for most of the tank to see how much it affected the mileage. What is your worst and best mileage. Any posts would be appreciated.
    Worst: 24 MPG
    Best: 29 MPG
    Average: 26 MPG
    A/C doesn't seem to affect the mileage significantly.
  • frank_cfrank_c Member Posts: 19
    Here's a simple brake/rotor question. After 37,000 miles the front brake pads needed to be replaced. The dealer was very adament about doing the rotors as well at a total cost of $ 380 (Southern California...). The rotors looked fine to me and I declined. Is there a rule of thumb for doing the rotors after a certain milage, or is it just based on wear and tear?

I was also rather suspicious since the mechanic heavily pushed for an oil change owing to "very dirty oil" - which clearly was not the case since it recently had been changed.

Thanks,
    Frank
    "Very dirty oil" is not necessarily a sign the oil needs to be changed, it's a sign the oil is doing its job. This dealer sounds pretty corrupt, I think I'd go somewhere else next time. Rotors only need to be replaced when they are worn to their minimum thickness, or if they are warped and machining them will take them past their minimum thickness. Typically they last for 2+ sets of brake pads.
    I have a 03 2.5s and does anybody else have the problem at highway speeds that the front mudflaps clatter because it seems like they were not designed to be very aerodynamic. mine chatter all the time and so I decided to take off all the mud flaps alltogether. Anybody else have this problem. Also what kind of gas mileage does everyone get highway city etc.
  • daveeddaveed Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a new 2005 two weeks ago, and the radio has serious reception problems on any station. The dealer says it is normal, and they were able to duplicate the problem I was having by driving around their building. I drove two other 2004's before buying this one, and they didn't have this problem. Anyone have a thought on what I should do?
  • tikijojotikijojo Member Posts: 4
    I just picked up my 05 Altima from the dealer. They checked the radio and said they couldn't find a problem with a reception.
    However, they told me that enough owners complain about this problem, Nissan will take action and post at "Service Bulletin" to help fix the problem.
    Therefore, if you are experiencing this problem please either take your car to the dealer, or call Nissan directly, and open a complaint file with them.
    We all need to work together to try and remedy this problem.
  • rajraj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Altima 2.5S with 36,500 Miles.
    Yesterday when I was about to start the car, it displayed "SERVICE ENGINE SOON".
    After I started the car, the display disappeared. I got this car from a Private Seller
    couple of weeks back. The Engine sensor recall fixing for this car is still due.

Did anyone face this issue before?. I am taking it to the Nissan delaer to fix the Recall.
    Any other recommendations?. Please advise.

Thanks in advance
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Even though, the reception isn't as bad as it once was.

Maybe I am just getting used to the poor reception?

Either way, if Nissan does a service bulletin, I want it fixed ASAP.
    I finally got the dealership to listen to me, and they are working with me. They are ordering a new radio and are going to install it.

Just a question about the A/C though, after I turn my ac on it won't shut off until I turn the car off. The light on the dash goes off, but colder air is definitely still coming from the vents. Just wondering if this is another problem with my new 05. Anybody know?
    I have been to two different dealerships, and neither has listened to me.

I am thinking of getting my grandfather or uncle involved to see what can be done about it.

It is ruining the overall experience of my car.
  • tikijojotikijojo Member Posts: 4
    I'm glad to hear that the dealership is taking action in your favor. Could you reply with the results of your new radio? Did it improve the problem?

Not having issues with the A/C though.
    Well, it wasn't easy to get them to listen, but after I told them that other people were having the same problem they seemed more interested to help. I also called 1-800 Nissan1 and told them about it, and specifically asked them to do something about it. (Don't know if they did) I also talked to my salesman, and told him how dissatisfied I was. I am getting the new radio this week. We'll see if it helps.
  • drjasdrjas Member Posts: 3
    I am getting this horrible screeching sound when I accelerate quickly with the A/C on in my 98 Altima, it has 140,000 miles on it and the sound happens when the gears are shifting, so I am guessing something is horribly wrong with my transmission, but why only when the A/C is on. It sounds really wretched. Any ideas?
  • jbmulderjbmulder Member Posts: 3
    2003 std

city 27 mpg
    highw 29.1
    aveg 28.6
    If anyone else is having static/loss of reception with their new altimas, please call the 1-800 nissan1 number to report this. I was just told by them that they know the problem exists, and the radio manufacturer is working on it. I am hoping they are telling the truth, but having more people report the problem will help.
    Could be the serpentine belt and/or pulley. At 140k, both are suspect if they haven't been replaced.
    Thanks for the advice. I hope the radio is replaced soon.
    According to Nissan, the fuel tank capacity on my 2002 Altima should be 20.0 gallons. Today, I filled up with 22.671 gallons. Yes, I topped it off, but the pump went over 20 gallons before it clicked off the first time. Is it physically possible for the tank and filler neck to hold this much fuel?
  • drjasdrjas Member Posts: 3
    replaced both belts, the main and accessory belt like four months ago, going to trade the car in and get a 2004 camry le v6, this car is now someone else's problem
    Could be the bearing on the A/C compressor, or one of the other accessories.
  • zheka78zheka78 Member Posts: 4
    Just got off the phone with Nissan North America. Called them to find out what can be done to my 2001 Altima SE, which has alloy wheels that have rusted from underneath the paint. I was told that Nissan warranted its 2001 cars against rust for the duration of 12 months. This sounds strange to me - Edmunds quotes 5 year rust warranty as well. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions!

Thank you in advance
  • zheka78zheka78 Member Posts: 4
    This sounds like a problem with worn-out driving/accessory belts. These should be changed every 60 thousand miles or sooner if you start hearing the high pitched screeching sound. The repair itself is simple. Each belt goes for $15-20 a piece(from Nissan Dealer – aftermarket is a bit cheaper) + an hour labor to replace both. Pick a good mechanic though - if he under/over tightens the belts, you can start hearing screeching sounds again very soon. Also, I would strongly recommend getting the mechanic to buy parts at the Nissan dealership, they'll cost you a couple of bucks more, but quality will be generally higher.

Hope this helps.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I've never filled more than about 18 gallons on my '02 Altima. That was well after the Distance To Empty readout had passed 0...
  • okeoke Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Altima 2.5S with 38,500 Miles. I took my car to the dealer on 4/20/04 for the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" recall. I brought the car from a used car dealer back in July 03. The car was fixed and returned to me on 4/22/04. Everything seem find till 5/1/04 when the light came back and the engine made a loud noise. The car stopped and was smoking. There is a nice size hole in the engine where the piston shot out from. Back to the dealer to get repairs and hopefully not have to fight to get it replaced. any advice.