Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Altima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• icepoloicepolo Member Posts: 9
    Is there anyone could give me an adivse where in Queens, NY dealership offers a good deal for the '08 Nissan Altima 2.5 S w/ Convenience Plus Package? Is the Technology package a prerequisite for the Spoiler or Fog light? This is my first time buying a car. :D
  • rlohrmanrlohrman Member Posts: 5
    Here is my suggestion for purchasing your car. First determine exactly what options you want on your car including engine, packages, color, etc. Next, determine what the invoice price is for your car via this website. Then, assuming that there is more than one dealership in your area, email each of them indicating that you have an offer in writing (I suggest you state this offer is at least $200 below invoice with 3.9%) and you are giving them the chance the BEAT this offer.

Sit back and wait for their responses. Some will igore you, some will say take the deal and some will say come on in. For those that say come on in, confirm via email that they have the exact car as indicated in your email and that they are willing to beat the deal you currently have. Once at the dealership, should they try to bait and switch (which some will...it happened to me), just walk out.

The important message here is that you are creating an environment where one dealership is competing with another for your business. It eliminates the process where they are constantly asking you to "meet them halfway" on the difference between what they are offering and what you are willing to pay. Just keep referring back to the email (make sure you bring a printed copy of your email and their response) and say..."I have my deal...just giving you the chance to beat it". And do not feel you have to answer them when they question where you got the deal from...it is none of their business.

This is exactly what I did here in Dallas and got a Slate Gray 08 Altima Coupe with the premium package for $400 below invoice. It took time and patience, as well as walking out of two different dealerships, but it was worth the effort. You will also find that as the month-end approaches, you will find them more anxious to sell you a car....so wait until the last possible day of the month to make your deal.
  • dano257dano257 Member Posts: 3
    Conv. Pkg, first aid kit, floor mats, splash guards. including the NJ 7% sales tax, $264 registration fee and the ridiculous "$1.50 per New Tire Fee" ...what the heck is that??? Anyway... OTD: $21100. Trade was worth $8000, gave them $3417.00, and financed $10K at 3.9% for 48 months $225/month seems like a fair deal... although I felt my trade was worth more, I guess the only number that matters is the OTD price....correct? Opinions.....
    2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan

I'm planning to buy a Nissan Altima 2.5 Sedan (Grey color) w/ Convenience Plus package. Recently, I was given a price by a dealer and wasn't sure if its a good deal. I wanna know which price I should refer to, since I have never bought a car before. Im guessing these prices excludes destination charge, tax, title, and DMV fee?

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S Sedan

MSRP Price :$20,805

Invoice Price :$19,629

Sales Price :$19,079

NemetDirect Price: $17,829
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    That price does not include the Convenience Plus Package; mine doesn't have the sunroof or alloy wheels (Convenience Package) and stickered at $22,565. That looks like the price for a base model.

$17,829 seems like a good deal, but it looks like its for a base, 6MT model with no options. And yes, that price looks like its before taxes, title, and plates.
    Tell them exactly what you want; an Altima with the Convenience Plus Package, and tell them that you want a price quote before taxes. Get this from multiple dealerships.

Some dealers will try to charge you a doc fee (the Nashville dealers are horrible about this). Just ask the dealers to itemize their price, listing the price of the car and any/all document fees they try to charge you.

Once you have your price, print off the lowest offer, take it to your local dealership, and ask them to match or beat it. If they won't, and try to get you to bump up your offer, leave.

And always, if you agree to a price over the phone, get a confirmation e-mail, and print it off to bring it to the dealership when you pick up the car, so they cannot claim that the price was not agreed upon. Inspect the car before signing the papers, make sure everything is in order before forking over a large check or signing the credit contract.

Make sure you make up your mind whether you want the 3.9APR/60 mo. plus $1000 cash, or $1250 straight cash. And make sure all the quotes you get include which incentive you're taking factored in. (personally, I'd go for the 3.9 and cash, as it saves you more than the $1250 straight, but not all buyers will qualify for the 3.9)
    Hope this helps!
  • dano257dano257 Member Posts: 3
    Bought an '08 Altima 2.5S w/ Convenience Pkg.
    MSRP 20,680
    Conv. Pkg 1,050
    Splash Gd 135
    floor mats 175
    emrgency kit 140
    dest. chg 625
    total 22,805
    Total OTD price including 7% NJ sales tax, $264 4 yr registration, $129 doc prep minus the $1000 rebate $21,417
  • jkooljkool Member Posts: 3
    Hi new here like to ask help coz considering buying 2008 altima 3.5 SE like to ask what is $500 cash rebate for graduate? I live in southern California. Like to ask some information a good price 3.5SE with sport pkg. buying next month. need help thanks
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    How Mutch should I pay for one and what options does that car come with. I am in the New York Area. SUmone elce will be driving this car for me I cant drive I am Leaguly blind. Looking at sand color Or gold. Frum what I have bin reading the Nissan altima is a verry good car. My dad had an altima he sold a few years back got it used was a1995 stick shift car verry good car gold Color. and he has a quest with almost 200000 MIles on it. so a verry few have problems with 2002 Altimas I am shore sum of those peapol missed a recall or two what do you expect the car is not New. that is the first year the new Mottle came out and that was a Hole new Engian for that car the 2 point 4 was used for 9 years grate Company Nissan. Pleas let me no the Price on the base altima sorry I got off topick And also sorry about my spelling cant wate till the New YOrk car show Next week look fored to it every year thankyou for reading my posting sorry it is real long Marco.
    Thanks for the input. I have decided to pursue Precision Grey '08 Nissan Altima 2.5 S CVT (Auto) w/ Convenience Plus Package. Options: Fog Lamps, Rear Spoiler & Floor Mat set.
    Does anyone have Fog Lamps & or Rear Spoiler as an added accessory to their 2008 Altima 2.5 S CVT (Automatic) with out the required packages e.g.,Technology, Connection, & SL package?? :confuse:
  • jkooljkool Member Posts: 3
    hi soda guy were you get your deal that kind of pkg i want. thanks
  • karpediemkarpediem Member Posts: 46
    Does anyone have Fog Lamps & or Rear Spoiler as an added accessory to their 2008 Altima 2.5 S CVT (Automatic) with out the required packages e.g.,Technology, Connection, & SL package??

Yes. I negotiated a spoiler and kick plates as part of the offer they gave me. Have them give you a offer you like, and say throw in fog lights and a spoiler. You can also buy both from ebay for not too bad of a price....got my OEM Fogs for $89/pair. :)
  • ryan714ryan714 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I've read alot of good comments in this forum and I hope someone can assist me. I plan to purchase an Altima Coupe 3.5SE by end of this week. I got a quote for $24,545($400 below invoice) through email with 4.99% APR. Is that a decent price & APR? I live in the Orange County, CA area. Is there a deal available out there that is lower than my quote? Please advise. Thank you.

Altima Coupe 3.5SE (Precisoin Grey):
    $24,545 after freight (before tax + doc fees) with 4.99% APR
    w/VDC
    Kick Plate & Floor mats
    No Prem Package, No Tech Package
  • thereal411thereal411 Member Posts: 16
    So last night at midnight I messaged (thru Nissanusa.com) 2 dealers in the Seattle area telling them I was ready to make a purchase Thursday evening (today) and that I had a price given to me at invoice (the only quote I had was 300 over invoice - which you can get by walking to most dealers and telling them you're a Costco member).

I'm looking for 2.5 S w/ SL package.
    -kick plates
    -splash guards
    -floor/trunk mats

MSRP 25,635
    Invoice 23865 (or so)

Both responded by 9am telling me they could beat invoice pricing no problem and asked what it would take to win my business. I asked the 2 dealers for 24450 OTD price on the car (Tax rate is 9.2% avg in Seattle area.. I have no idea about Title/License). One came back at 24870 (est: about invoice) and one at 24585 (300 or so based on tax rate).

This is taking into account a 1250 rebate for cash purchase.
    Not too bad for minimal effort.
  • pcjamespcjames Member Posts: 13
    Anyone know what the rebate will be for April? Also, I need to know some Houston dealers that we go at least $400 below invoice.
    I would think that you could get the 3.9% APR/$1000 cash back special...

Make sure that if you're not doing the 3.9% APR, that you get $1250 cash back and not $1000, but the combo APR/Financing is a better way to go deal wise as long as your credit qualifies. (and if you can get 4.99% APR on your own then you probably qualify for NMAC's 3.9 APR program)
    I got the 3.9% through Nissan, and the finance guy told me that anything extra I pay on the car goes to the interest first, and then once that's paid off, the extra amount will go on the car. So to me this makes it sound like there is no reason to try to pay the car off earlier than the term of the loan, besides the fact to not have a car payment. Am I understanding this correctly? I thought if you paid the car off ealier you could save money because you wouldn't have to pay the full interest.
  • brad30brad30 Member Posts: 5
    car loans are normally simple interest - so the interest $ is fixed at signing. As you noted, paying off early only shortens the term. But not having a car payment is a good feeling as well.
  • malolansmalolans Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

I am getting quote of Invoice of 27156 for 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid with Connection Package. I am in Massachusetts. Is this is a good deal.

Thanks.
  • thereal411thereal411 Member Posts: 16
    Just got back from the dealer..

2008 S w/SL package
    -SL package
    -floor and trunk mats
    -emergency aid package
    -splash guards

MSRP 25,505
    Invoice i think is 23750 or so..
    Price paid: 22362 + TTL. Came out to 24450 OTD in Seattle area.

Deal was all made yesterday on phone and email. Picked it up from Younker Nissan in Renton. Bob from internet sales was great to work with, he showed my father in law how to do everything with the car before sending us on our way.
  • tltctltc Member Posts: 9
    Okay, I need an unbiased opinion. I have been working quite hard to get these deals:

Here's what I have on the table:

08 Altima 2.4 SL
    White/Charcoal Leather
    Connection pkg
    Tech pkg
    Spoiler
    Fog lights
    Splash guards
    Mats
    $28,400 OTD (includes 7% sales tax, tag, title, fees, etc)

They also offered $17,500 for my Tahoe (Edmonds trade in value for my Tahoe is $18,900). The reason for the offer is current gas prices and the fact that in my area there are SUV's sitting on lots everywhere around here.

I was also offered $27,200 OTD by another dealership, but I would have to sell my Tahoe and continue to make payments on it until it sells and that could eat up the difference quickly.

Both offers have calculated in the $1,000 cash back (I'm going with the 3.9 APR)

Those with experience here... what do you think? Sign or no sign?
    The price on the Tahoe seems fair; with gas prices down, nobody will be in the market for a used version of a Tahoe, especially since GM is getting aggressive on the discounting.

In regards to the actual Altima, is there anyway you could provide your deal before taxes, title, and plates, and other fees? Did you get an itemized quote from the dealer?
    It's hard to tell if a deal is good or not unless you give us the number before TT&L.
    The interest is determined at the start; its a simple interest loan; no matter what, I believe you'll be paying the full interest.

I think.. :confuse:
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    On a simple interest loan, initial payments are majority interest and minority principle. Towards the end of the load, that inverts to each payment being majority principle and minority interest. Think about it for a minute...if it was any other way, you would never be able to pay off the loan.

You should be able to find a loan/interest calculator by searching on Google...

Try this site ...

http://mortgages.interest.com/content/calculators/mortgage_calculator.asp

Now, as to your question...Lets say you pay $50.00 extra on every payment. The additional $50.00 goes towards the principle payoff, since the interest is calculated on the outstanding loan at that time and is already covered by the loan payment for that period. So, paying extra each month will save you interest.

Does that answer your question sufficiently?
    I'll get the breakdown in the morning. From what I'm figuring with the TTL&F what they are here, the Altima itself is $26,277 which is $624 below what Edmonds lists as invoice.
    Correction on the post!

It's a 2.5 S (4 cyl) with the SL package (and the tech, connection, etc.) NOT the 6 cyl.
  • neo_neo_ Member Posts: 14
    Nicely explained!

I bought my 2.5S last year on 21.5K loan for 5 yrs. I wud have paid > 5K interest. I paid off in 9 months, had to pay only $650. And try to make your initial payments at the earliest possible and of the maximum amount possible. The sooner you get your principle down, the lower the interest you have to pay.
    Not a bad deal. I'd go for it.

Make sure you've taken advantage of the incentives available; the price seems fair regardless of whether its after incentives (in which case it'd be about $400 above invoice) or before incentives, but I'd try to get the incentives subtracted from the $26,277 number.
  • cwo4cwo4 Member Posts: 90
    Hello, Let me first say I get a new car about every two years. I put an average of 50K miles a year and to tell the truth, just want a new car after awhile. I like to try different brands and have posts in the Camry, Jetta, Subaru and most recently Chevy Cobalt forums. Now I'm driving a new 2008 Altima S with the Convenience package and CV transmission. I bought it because my brother in law's brother works for Nissan and I could take advantage of their friends and family program. My price before tax and tags and after the $1000 rebate was $19K. Not bad. I really like driving the car but comparing it to my lowly Cobalt I have to ask: (1) why doesn't the Altima have daytime running lights? (2) why doesn't the lights come on when the wipers are turned on? It has an "auto" feature but the best I can figure out is they simply turn on the lights after it gets dark. (3) why can't you add OEM equipment to your car after purchase? XM radio and driving lights are two I would add but to get them you had to buy a package, which had stuff I didn't want. (4) why couldn't they cover up the black foam strip between the dash and the windshield? When the sun hits it just right it shines. (5) why does the maintenance book still call for oil changes at 3750 when most other manufacturers have gone to 5000 miles? Again, let me state I really like this car and love to drive it, but I just wonder why? A few more Nissan tweaks and this car could be near flawless, in my opinion. Anyone else share my thoughts? Otherwise, I'm a happy with the Altima and really like the price I paid. It is more comfortable than the Camry I had, more responsive than most four cylinders and somehow more fun to drive. I also like the 29 MPG I'm getting in in-town driving. I intend to do some driving all over the US this summer unless gas goes beyond the stratosphere of over $5 a gallon. If anyone has made some very long trips in theirs, I'd really be interested in your "after action reports." Thanks for the opportunity to post.
    Some good thoughts there...

I thought running lights were going to be a NHTSA requirement at some point, but there is a multitude of models without them. My guess is that automakers don't offer them as 1- it isn't a requirement and 2- constantly running lights would have a negative (although by how much I don't know) impact on mileage. I remember reading an article several years ago about how many barrels of oil were consumed daily by all the USA school buses running their lights all the time.

As for oil changes, it varies from soup to nuts between manufacturers. My BMW Z4 says every 15 K miles (using synthetics), but most others suggest a range between 3000 - 7500, depending on driving habits. I made my life simpler by going completely to synthetic oil, with oil/filter changes every 5 K miles on every vehicle I own.

I think you are also correct about the auto headlight function. I don't remember seeing anything in the book about lights automatically coming on with the wipers. However, and I could be wrong on this, but I don't think most cars have an "auto-on lighting system with wiper activation" feature. At least, not in the price range of the Altima...again, I could be wrong on this issue. One thing that I do find strange, however, is that there is no "fog light lamp" anywhere on the dash that I can find that is illuminated when the fog lights are on...strange....

Last of all, I have read many complaints about the way Nissan does its accessory/option packages. Probably due to some marketing "guru" who know what's best for us. Since I bought my Altima maxed out with the option packages, it really wasn't an issue for me.
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    I have just started looking into the Altima as my current car is now 7 years old and will need to be replaced with something larger ( my 3 year old is a pain to get in and out on those days that I have to drive him)
    I was looking into the 2.5 SL with the tech package and I noticed that it forces me to ge the connection package.
    As the previous poster mentioned...these forced packages are a pain.

Especially since I have Sirius satellite radio and no intention of swicthing to XM

Any suggestions on ways to get around it ? I want the tech package but don't want XM radio...not sure if the dealer would be able to uninstall the XM reciever or not...or somehow switch it to use Sirius (I'm guessing the antenna is hardwired into the car already)
    Sure ...maybe with enough money, I can get the dealer to bedn over to my demands...but then I'd be paying for it.
    With navigation you are out of luck, if you just had connection package, then you could have it switched. I say don't worry about it and enjoy your free XM for 3 months, then hope the merger doesn't take much longer >>>>> Merger Sirius and XM Once this happens you can get either or both.
    I was quoted a price of $22,435 (price includes $1250 rebate) + TTL for a 2008 Altima 2.5 SL Sedan w/ floor mats and splash guards. Winter frost color with the blond leather interior......final out the door right at $24K. I live in Texas (6.25% tax rate).

Thumbs up or down?
  • rmbalisarmbalisa Member Posts: 129
    pcjames...thats a bad price. my friend just got quoted $20,900 +TTL for a 08 Altima 2.5 SL with floor mats and splash guards. That includes the $1000 rebate and $500 college grad rebate and 3.9% financing.
  • candy85candy85 Member Posts: 4
    I am going to get my car in the next few days. I got a quote for $21,000 for the 2.5 SL w/ Connection package, splash guards, and floor mats (inlcuding $1,000 rebate and $500 college grad rebate and 3.9% financing). Also, they are giving me 2 years of free oil changes and life time free inspection.
    Where are you located?
    I was just quoted $22,200 in North FL for the 2.5 SL pkg, Connection pkg, Spoiler, Kick Plates, Splash Guards, Floor Mats and Moon roof wind deflector. I'm not a recent grad, so I don't get the $500.
    where are you located, rmbalisa? I need that kind of deal in Houston, TX!!.
  • pmlboypmlboy Member Posts: 8
    I am negotiating through the fleet departments for a Altima 2.5S with SL package. The lowest I have been offered is $500 below invoice (edmunds.com price) of $23518 (19392 + 3501 + 625) or $23018. With rebates (1250 + 500), it will come to $21268. I am in San Jose Bay Area. The dealers have also included splash guards and floor mats. I want to get the spoiler. Is it possible to get it without any other packages?

Please let me know about your comments on the price I am getting. Thanks.
  • rmbalisarmbalisa Member Posts: 129
    pcjames...near philadelphia
  • candy85candy85 Member Posts: 4
    I am located in Maryland (Washington, DC area). Does you quote inculde any rebates?
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    Mileage impact would be minimal for running lights. headlights, marker lights and tail lights add up to around 165Watts (about 1/4HP). At 70mph, my best guess is that your car is producing around 30kw of energy to maintain speed, so the impact is around 0.6%. At lower speeds, it might add up to as much as 1-2%. For the increased safety, I think every car should at least have AUTO headlights. My '03 Toyota Corolla had this as well as daytime running lights.

It's possible to do some custom lighting with a couple relays to link the wipers to the headlights.

I generally follow 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. My driving is mostly very short trips or freeway speeds, with only occasional "city" driving.

There's pretty good deals right now on '08 Altimas. We were a repeat customer and automatically recieved invoice pricing from our dealer, and qualified for $1000 cash back with 3.9% financing. So we got a 2.5SL for around $24,000 (including TTL). Camry or Accord didn't have any offers as good as that for a similarly equiped vehicle.... plus we really like the dimensons and styling of the Altima better, and that 180 ft-lbs of torque and 300-400lbs less weight over the Camry or Accord really gives the car some added muscle.
  • ricky20ricky20 Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,

I just got a quote for $26880 including sales tax, new plate and dealer fees.a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL with Technology package, includes spoiler, emergency kit, remote starter and wind defector, basically fully loaded.I got a quote for Is that a good deal?

I'm in Medford, MA
  • pmlboypmlboy Member Posts: 8
    Based on invoice prices for all your options from Edmunds, how does your price before taxes and rebates look like?
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    is the sales tax is 0% you got hosed.....

if the sales tax is 12% you probably did good.

in other words, it doesn't do much good asking if you got a decent price when you include state sales tax in your figure you want to get comments on...
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Sales tax is 5% in my state which is a total of $1300
    Dealer Fees $299 and new registration and plate is another $80

Edmunds says $27402 is what others are paying for it. Invoice is $26591 and MSRP 28765

Thanks for all your help!

By the way any idea on when the Nissan Altima 09 is coming out? I already saw the Maxima on their website.
    I'm in total agreement with you on the headlamp/wiper issues. Seems to me that if tire pressure monitoring is a federal requirement, running lights and auto "lights on when wipers are activated" should be as well...it couldn't cost that much to implement, and as you stated, its not a very technical thing to do.

If you're like me, I find it amazing that some folks drive in a heavy rain without headlamps on...I want to do everything I possible can do to be seen in a rain storm!
    Candy85---sorry for the delayed response.
    Yes, the 1,000 rebate is included. It's $22,203 with the wind deflector, kick plates and spoiler added. My OTD is $24,499.
    I worked on quotes for a while and the best I was offered was $26,795 OTD (7% sales tax); he even offered to deliver the car at no charge (I live about 4 hours from that dealership). I'm not sure what the cost of the car itself was. (I decided to go with the connection pkg instead). From what I've gotten in the south east, I'd say that's a pretty good deal. You can always ask for $26,800... Or, I can give you the guys name that I was talking with, but for $85 I don't know if it's worth the hassle.
    You mean $26795 + 7% Sales tax or is it already included? I'm meeting them tomorrow and possibly give them a deposit for the car. I will probably offer them approximately $26500 for it. Mine includes Technology and Connection Package + Rear Spoiler, Moonroof Deflector, Emergency Kit and I will see what else they can throw in there for me.
  • jknilajknila Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking around for a Altima 2.5s w/conv pkg or possibly the 2.5SL pkg. I'm just wondering if anyone from Oahu bought one and for how much. I'm wondering if it's harder to get a great deal here since everything seems higher here.