Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Altima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hondamom6hondamom6 Member Posts: 19
    I have asked repeatedly via email for a price quote from our 1 local in town dealer and the next closest (1 hour away) dealer. I know for a fact that they have the car I want on the local lot because I went and test drove it 2 days ago. So far, all I've gotten from the 1 hour away dealer is advertisements via email and the local guy just sends "sorry, we are working on getting you a price - our cars start at blah blah".

I'm getting really frustrated because I don't want to do any haggling at the dealership. I don't have time to sit there all day while they mill about pretending to "talk to the manager".

Has anyone else had trouble getting email quotes from Nissan dealers? Our local Honda guy gave me one really quick and it was a good one. This is my first dealing with Nissan and I would prefer the Altima to the other 2 vehicles I was considering (Honda CR-V and Mitsubishi Outlander).
  • adcz94adcz94 Member Posts: 11
    Well for me all the Nissan guys (3 local dealers) gave a quote within 24 hours. I requested a quote in the eve and 1 dealer gave me the quote in the eve while the other 2 gave it next day around noon.
    Honda dealers are better about it though. I requested a quote from honda dealers in the eve too and i got replies from all 4 dealers on the same day. Plus i even got a call from 2 guys. They were really interested in selling there cars.
  • dperonedperone Member Posts: 14
    Sounds like a great deal. I am looking for a 2008 Altima (in NJ) - and so far the only quotes are for the standard advertised Nissan offer of $1999 down and $199 a month. I am looking for 36 months 12K per year - no trade in.

Of course this is for the lowest model. I think I'll contact Angie at Route 22.
  • karmomkarmom Member Posts: 10
    I'm currently looking for a 2008 Altima, while I don't see the exact color I want...I do see a local dealer with a 2.5S, with the SL package, floor mats and splash guard for $22,947 invoice, plus TTL. Not sure about a destination charge. The msrp price is 25,825. The only incentive is 1,250 cash back. How much lower should I expect. This is just the online price and seem to be the cheapest I've seen so far in the Dallas area. I'm planning to fish after several dealership via the internet, then following up the best offer. Do you think they will offer a lower rate to get me to go with another color other than what I really wanted, if its not in stock anywhere?
  • jam1kjjam1kj Member Posts: 2
    If there is another dealer relatively close they mey be in competition with each other. If that is the case visit the next dealership and tell them that dealer a is offeing to sell you the vehicle for 18,500 this method is called hardball. I used this two years ago when my parent and I were purchasing my sister Sentra 1.8 S Special Edition. The sticker was 16500 We paid 11500 with TTL. Also ask them how long the car has been on lot if over 350 mile ask for a mileage reduction this shows this car has been testdriven alot and has become what we call a stale car . Stale cars are consider to have been on lot more that 120 days. Or last years model.
    thanks for that information jamikj....so I should tell the next dealer that I was offered 18.500 with the SL package included? Also going this route, do dealers actually ask you to bring in the previous dealer email offer?
  • pmlboypmlboy Member Posts: 8
    Actually, it will be good to have a competitor's offer in writing. Then you will have more leverage in negotiating. I took quotes from 4 dealers first. Then starting with the dealer furthest from my place, I had them match the lowest price offered to me. I did it only once. Finally, in the end I had the lowest price from the dealer closet to me. Incidentally, I bought a 2.5 SL in March end, and I paid $21,000 (including $1000 + $500 grad rebate) + TTL (with 3.9% financing from Nissan). I am in Santa Clara, CA. The dealer from whom I bought, looked at email of the competing quote, and then offered me $200 less than that.
  • trolleyfantrolleyfan Member Posts: 7
    I would call the dealership and ask to speak with a manager to get a price quote. Tell the person the exact model with what options you want and that you are looking to purchase a new vehicle very soon and that an Altima is in the running for being your new car. I believe when you call in person you come across as more serious of a buyer. State that you want the lowest price as you are not playing games as you won't get back to them to see if they will go lower.

I bought mine this way. The manager was a straight shooter - told me all dealerships pay the same for every car and every option, it's just a case of how bad one wants to close a deal. He told me he would have a salesperson call me back within a half an hour, which was the case. I bought the car from them as they were almost $900 less and I didn't have to play any games.

Check out the Nissan website and check the inventory on the lots of dealerships. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car from outside my area as the dealerships are looking for you to come to their place for service, which is where the money machine for them is.

Good luck. BTW, you might want to consider waiting till the end of the month as you get closer to the end of year and they also might have been deals or rebates tied in with the Labor Day holiday. Nissan had thrown an extra $500 rebate out for sales made over Memorial Day weekend, at least here in PA.
  • gogetemgogetem Member Posts: 10
    We are interested in a ,fully loaded Altima 2.5 SL w/ tech package and connection package. The msrp is 29570. How much over invoice should I pay?
    I am on Long Island NY. I am aware of the $1250 rebate.
    Thanks for any advice...
    As a broad rule of thumb you should get 08 Altima with TTL included for about 300-500$ under the invoice price. Invoice price itself should be way below MSRP. Pricing will depend on your bargaining skills and how desperate the dealer is to sell that car. i know people who have paid MSRP or above to get Altima in this month will all the promotions. So just do your research before buying the car. Also if you have lots of Nissan dealers in your city that will be helpfull to bring the overall price down. Ask from internet price quotes from each and every dealer withing like 100 miles radius.
    Should I start the emails off with a price point, or stick to letting them know the options I want i.e. interior/exterior colors, style and options and let them start the ball rolling with the dollar amount? Should I mention anything in the email about rebates or cash back amounts? I just want me emails to be professional and to the point.
    1st rule of bargaining - Always let the other party quote a price first. They may quote too high but also there is a chance that they may quote below what you were expecting.
    In my case i just asked them for internet price quote for a car with the optional packages i wanted (without mentioning any price at all). Just let them know the rebates you are eligible for.
    When i got quotes from all dealers i contacted the one with highest price and made him beat the lowest price and so on and so forth. Did most of my stuff via email. But almost all dealers will ask you to bring along a hard copy of the quote you are asking them to beat. Just tell them that you will show them the copy if they tell you how much lower than that quote will thr dealership go. Basically tell them you wont waste your time and money by coming to thr dealership without knowing that they offer the best deal in town.
  • lashleroux15lashleroux15 Member Posts: 11
    I just picked up my silver Altima S with just floormats and splash guards for invoice - $20600 (this is before rebate, TTL, etc.). In my area I got pretty lucky because of demand for the regular S models with CVT. Of course, it helps to walk in 1/2 hour before closing on a Saturday at the end of the month.

Considering I also had a trade involved (which I didn't get fleeced on......thanks Edmunds), this deal worked out very well. The only pain was the hour or so it took to arrive at that price plus get my trade. It came down to the manager and me sitting at a table where I wrote down the car price and my trade-in value. If he didn't agree, I was leaving. I don't think this would have happened at the beginning of the month.
    Orginally wanted a 2.5S with Conv Plus Pkg, but may consider the SL package, if the price is right. What is everyone averaging in monthly payments for option? My credit score is around 760-775. I know the state tax rate plays a part and i'm in the state of texas and will probably only put down $1k-$2k, will hold on to my current car and sell it later myself.
  • dgentsusadgentsusa Member Posts: 8
    Comes with the Bose stereo. How is the quality of the stereo? Never hear anyone talking about the connection package. Im in limbo about whether to get a New accord or a SL 2.5 Altima. Nicer interior in Accord but Altima is lil more sporter and faster.
  • hell606hell606 Member Posts: 7
    I think so I love my 2.5SL. I went from a Accord V6 and feel I didn't lose that much horsepower. I enjoy dirving the Altima much more than I did the Accord and it was a Coupe.
    from what i have heard Bose stereo is really really good...... having said that the normal 6 speaker music system ain't that bad either. I generally use my ipod with the aux cable and am completely satisfied with it. If you are an audiophile and want the best sound system then go for Bose but i guess most of the people can live with the standard 6 speaker music system.
    About accord and altima comparison accord is a bit bigger with better interior and has more residual value after 5-6 years. On the other hand the center console of accord is really crowded with too many button. Altima is better looking and more fun to drive. General opinion is that Altima has less maintenance in longer run. Also you wont get good deals on accord (cash back, low apr and all that stuff) at this point of time. So for me altima was a better choice. You might like the feel of accord more and really the price diff ain't that much so it basically boils down to which car you like most. Take a test drive of both and then you can make your decision.
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    yes you guys are so rite boath honda acord and nissan altima are good cars. also just sat in the 2009 hundai sonata grate seets to nice car not the best looking but roomy. also might want to try out the toyota camory. the new stuff from gm is ok maby not as good as those others but alot nicer then it has bin in the past worth a look might get real grate price on gm stuff or ford stuff thanks for reading.
  • dammitjim1dammitjim1 Member Posts: 95
    I had been in contact via internet quote request and received mostly auto-responder replies, when I decided to drive by the dealership in West Islip, LI yesterday, and get a price on purchase or lease of an '08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE w/Premium/Technology packages and VDC. They happened to have the exact car I wanted, so I fully expected to be able to make a deal with these guys on a lease or purchase. That's when the Stupid Dealer Tricks kicked in.

Their initial offer was a few hundred dollars under MSRP. What the sales guy does is take down your info, then go over to a "manager" seated behind a podium at the front of the showroom. After about 5 minutes, the sales rep returns with a hand-written quote from the so-called manager, showing the MSRP, their pathetic discount and the words "HOT CAR!" written on the bottom.

I don't know what playbook the sales rep/manager tag team pulled that tactic out of - I really haven't seen that sort of thing in years.

My response was something like, "Hot car, MAYBE, hot price, NOT!" The sales rep stumbled through an awkward explanation about the coupes not being heavily discounted since they sold so quickly, etc. Very plausible, considering he had 10 identically equipped models on his lot. Having that many models readily available on his lot this late in the model year suggests that they don't sell all that fast.

Once I made the sales rep understand that the price was unacceptable, he asked me what price I had in mind. I offered just below invoice. Up to this point, we had not even reached the stage of discussing lease options.

The sales rep makes a show of going back to his "manager" and returns after about 5 minutes indicating they would do the deal at that price , but I had to take the car that night if they were going to go THAT DEEP with their discount.- this is about 7PM, and they closed at 9PM!! I pointed out the logistical problems behind that and said I needed 2-3 days to make arrangements, but they were not budging.

I let the sales rep know that I wasn't going to be pressured into driving a car off the lot that night, and they just lost whatever chance they had of doing business, then walked out.

I've heard that Atlantic Auto Group had a reputation for this style of selling across most of their dealerships, and now have seen it firsthand.

Fortunately, there are plenty of other Nissan dealers that are within easy driving distance. The search goes on...

Atlantic Nissan is DEFINITELY not on the recommended list!
    wondering if it was worth it to purchase the Nav System? Heard that the car needs to be stopped to enter locations. This might be a stupid question but is the nav system also a DVD player?
  • hell606hell606 Member Posts: 7
    I love my Nav system and I use it a lot. Yes for safety you have to be stopped to enter a new address but if you have stored ones you can access them while driving. I have a 2007 and no it is not a DVD player
    Can you talk to your Navigation System and verbally add the address?
    When is the best time to start negioations for a month end type sell via emails?
  • nyceltanycelta Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to everyone on this board I have learned quite a bit already.

Through my company I qualify for the VPP program, I got my claim number and brought it to a dealer that I have been working with. I am looking at the 2.5S.

With Convenience and Moonroof packages, the VPP price is $22,708 (essentially invoice) and with a Premium Package the VPP price is $25,121 (again essentially invoice -- maybe $50 less). This price doesn't include the $500 rebate (so that would also be deducted if I don't use the NMAC promo APR financing).

I live in Westchester County, NY and I know that from calling a number of dealers supplies of the coupes are pretty limited (while they seem to have an overload of sedans).

Is the above pricing good given that I can get the color that I want (not required to take stock), or can I do better?

I really appreciate the help with this.
  • skinsfan3skinsfan3 Member Posts: 78
    Time has passed since I bought my 2003 Altima with full sports package. At that time the MSRP was over $26k and I bough for $20K using Costco I had a good credit rating, so I got about 1% financing through Nissan. I figure that, on 5 years, knocked about $5k off of my purchase price. I now have 60k miles on the car and it looks the same as the day I picked it up. I have friends who paid more. When you buy, always ask for the "Out the door" price. That should stop those last minute extras. Also, watch out for bait and switch.' There is a reason why buying a car is an aggravating experience. Times are tough out there now, so you are well positioned to get a great deal. Did you know that Nissan sells a hybrid Altima? But only on the west coast. Maybe if you push, you can get a dealer to move one over.Oh, wihin the first 11k miles of 12 months I was able to buy bumper to bumper insurance ($250 deductible) from my insurance company, GEICO, for well under $100. That had paid for itself by now.
  • skinsfan3skinsfan3 Member Posts: 78
    I have now received numerous phone calls and postcards saying "Your warranty is about to expire." Somehow, they have my correct VIN number and name. I suspect that they get this from Nissan dealers.When asked, they say they are from Nissan. I wrote to Nissan and told them about it. These guys push very hard for extended warranty coverage. I tell them I have mine from my insurance company for the next 100,000 miles. If you search the internet, many complaints about these outfits not paying, etc. I think that Nissan is hurting themselves by not stopping these guys. All they could end up with is some potential customers who will look elsewhere before their next purchase.

Any ideas out there?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    Those post cards come from third-party warranty companies... They don't have anything to do with Nissan.. All make/model owners get them.

They get the info from car registrations, which are public information.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyceltanycelta Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to everyone on this board I have learned quite a bit already.

Through my company I qualify for the VPP program, I got my claim number and brought it to a dealer that I have been working with. I am looking at the 2.5S.

With Convenience and Moonroof packages, the VPP price is $22,708 (essentially invoice) and with a Premium Package the VPP price is $25,121 (again essentially invoice -- maybe $50 less). This price doesn't include the $500 rebate (so that would also be deducted if I don't use the NMAC promo APR financing).

I live in Westchester County, NY and I know that from calling a number of dealers supplies of the coupes are pretty limited (while they seem to have an overload of sedans).

Is the above pricing good given that I can get the color that I want (not required to take stock), or can I do better?

I really appreciate the help with this.
  • 87turbobuick87turbobuick Member Posts: 15
    Finally took the plunge last night at 8PM! Bought a 2009 Altima 2.5S auto with Convenience Plus Package (moonroof & 16” Alloy rims) Dark Slate/Frost plus splash guards & mats in Suffolk County, NY. (sales tax = 8.625%) MSRP = $ 24,520 Paid $ 22,398.55 39/mo lease with 15K miles, Zero Cap reductions, Residual value = $ 14,712, Payment total = $ 13,053.80, Depreciation = $ 7,686.55 Paid $ 2,038.74 at signing (1st month payment $289.87 + $60/registration fee + $595/acquisition fee + $51.32 tax on acquisition fee+ $12.50 NY tire fee+ $55/document & inspection fees)
    We were upset that the $ 595 + $51.32 acq fees were not told up front until after we finalized the deal & were hit with this in the Finance Managers office. Sales person gave us no charge oil changes and maintenance fees up to 30K miles as my wife was real upset. We turned in our 04 leased GMC Envoy last week. Super sharp car! Handles great. Will answer any questions if anyone has any.
    Carman: What is the NMAC residual value and lease factor for above?
  • limingliming Member Posts: 22
    I bought a white/tan 2008 3.5SE sedan automatic without any options for $20758 plus tax after 3K rebate at Stadium Nissan, Orange, CA.

I am looking for 2008 3.5SE coupe automoatic around Chicago, IL. so far, the best price is 23.3K plus tax after 500 rebate.

Any one got better price for a coupe around Chicago, IL? :blush:

The car is for my nephew who graduated last year from a junior college. After I paid yesterd, I found he is qualified for new grad $500 rebate today. Can he get that $500 rebate still?
  • guy2watchguy2watch Member Posts: 5
    So I went to Browns Nissan today (Sterling, VA) and had a drive. Needless to say it was quite fun.

Now, I told them up front that I'm looking for 2.5 S Altima Coupe with Premium and Technology Package and preferred color is Blue. So the guy said can we have a deal if I could find you the exact car and I said of course not, we can have a deal only when we sit down and get comfortable with the number that we come up with. Only then we can crack a deal. He did lose some of his interest right then and I was a lil pissed then so I said seems like you are not quite interested in figuring out the final number and if thats the case its better that I go to someone else only then he settled a bit.

So we set down and as per my own research he could not find the exact car with the package(s) that I am looking for. However, he had the exact car with the packages in 3.5 SE model. So he goes how about I give you this one, I thought for a while and said what would be the final number. So he came up with $27,500 plus taxes OTD. (I know some of you must have raised the eye brow on this no. I sure did) but then he came up with his trick.

I want to trade in my Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL, which I got in February 08 and I still owe NWFDU about 14K on that one, so he offered me 9,000K on that car and said this is what I can do for you.

Now, what do you guys think about this. I bought my current USED altime from a dealer and this is my first experience to get a new car. What are your inputs on this.
  • lovenavylovenavy Member Posts: 15
    I found a used 07 2.5 SL Altima with 26,471 mile for $23,893, OTD for $26,745. Salesman told me, He can get more for it in auction. Having read all the posts on this forum, isn't it costs more than a brand new one. What should be the real price? Any inputs would be apprecaited. Thanks.
  • pmlboypmlboy Member Posts: 8
    I think the price looks way wrong! I can give an estimate on the price I paid, $22500 (excluding $1500 rebate + 3.9% Nissan Financing) + TTL for a new 2008 Altima 2.5SL (April 2008). Are you sure it is the 2.5SL, or 3.5SL?
    It's a 2007 2.5 SL
  • dennis45dennis45 Member Posts: 10
    08 Altima 3.5s fully loaded, msrp 27,040, 7,000 miles best price advice?
    hey so glad to hear you got one of theese grate altimas so you got a 2009 altima what color is the car and the interior. what options did you get and from what dealer I am in nassaw let me no thanks so mutch Marco.
  • brandycabrandyca Member Posts: 1
    First off, this thread has helped us alot in figuring out how to look for and get prices down on the Altima we want.

We are looking at 09 Altima SL In Los Angeles.
    CALIFORNIA EMISSI
    CONVENIENCE PACKA
    CONVENEINCE PLUS
    CONNECTION PACKAG
    MATS WITH HOOKS
    SGD
    SL PACKAGE
    WDF MOONROOF WIND DEF

Via internet price quote, they are stating MSRP at $27,495 but they can offer it to us for $25,800 + tax and Fees after $500 rebate.

Based on what I've seen in this thread that sounds really high.

We are talking to another dealership and he says he can beat that price if we come in.. which it sounds like we shouldn't go in, we should ask for a quote and use it to get better prices then come back to him and see if he can match/beat?

Does that sound right?

Anyone have an idea on invoice price for this package set?
  • limingliming Member Posts: 22
    check nissanusa.com for rebate information
  • joker383joker383 Member Posts: 1
    I have been back and forth with this dealer in NY and the deal is done, so it doesn't really make a difference, but I'd like to know for my own sanity if I got a fair deal.
    Here are the numbers as it shows exactly on my invoice.
    2008 Black 4 cly. Altima no extra packages
    New Retail 21110
    Fees 60
    Service Contract 1557
    Tire Fee 12.50
    Reg. Fee 65
    Tax (NY 8.625) 1954.60
    Total Cash Price 24759.10
    Financing 2278.10
    Total Time Price 27037.20
    Deposit 2000
    60 months x 400.62 = 24037.20
    APR 3.99
    Rebate 1000
    Amount Financed 21,759.10

That is every number on the invoice in that order. Some if it I am still confused with, but that is what I have. The dealer also is paying 190 toward excess wear on a lease turn in and 2 years or (30,000 miles) of oil changes and tire rotations. The service contract is 6 years/75000 miles and covers just about everything and etch protection for theft purposes. DID I GET A FAIR DEAL OR DID I GET HAMMERED.
  • mayadawn77mayadawn77 Member Posts: 7
    Im a bit confused by all the numbers too. But I was able to get 2 dealerships under 18,000 + tax, title, license and interest for the 2008 Altima 2.5 S.
  • schuckeschucke Member Posts: 2
    I haven't decided between the 3.5 or 2.5 yet. A dealer I have been talking with is offering an 08 2.5 s w sl for 22500, and a 3.5 se and adding leather for a total of 22388. Does not include tax title and license. Thoughts?
    Schucke...while I have not been researching the deals on the 3.5SE, I have been researching the deals on the Altima 2.5 SL and $22.500 seem to the best prices anyone is getting, excluding TTL. Does this include or exclude the current incentive money and low APR? Also, hopefully it includes floormats and splash guards.
    that seams like a grate price to me if it is for an sl nice keep us updated thanks Marco.
  • uskvuskv Member Posts: 2
    Done the deal. Bought 2008 Altima SL with mat and splash guards - 22700.00 + TTL

I think they threw - all weather mats with it.

Inv price for 2008 Altima SL (mat and splash guards) is 24099-1250 = 22849. BTW, All SL comes with mat and splash guards.

In my opinion, 22500 would be the best deal you would get on SL, provided Nissan is not able to sell remainder of 2008 Altima in near future...Thing is that SL is very popular and fairly well selling. Dealers do not have enough to choose from.

This forum was great help in getting the car I wanted, at great price..Thank you and use the info I provided here to get the great deal on Altima..
    I can't agree more with you on this one. 2.5 altima sl are selling like hot cakes and dealers are reluctant to bargain a lot. 24K OTD price for this car is really reasonable.
    I have been driving this car for about a month now and believe me you will really enjoy driving this baby. Congrats on your purchase.
  • big32mikebig32mike Member Posts: 3
    I have tow offers from 2 different dealers, can you tell me if you think they're decent??

The first is an internet offer for a 2009 2.5SL sedan.
    No connection or tech package
    auto, moonroof, heated seats
    convenience plus
    silver with charcoal leather for 22500 + TTL..

The other I actually went into the dealer and saw,
    This one is a 2007 "new" (never been sold, demo vehicle)
    just under 3400 miles
    manual
    floor mats
    volume controls on steering wheel + intelligent key. (I think the tech package)
    sticker is 22745 (yeah right)
    18,280 + TTL roughly 19824 OTD

they first offered 18900 and laughed and said 16500. Am I tripping? They should be able to come down considering it's an 07 with a couple dings in the upholstery.
    this dealer is adamant about the freight charge of 645, processing of 349. I went late so he said if I wasn't buying tonight he couldn't put it in the computer to get the true OTD price. I think 19800 is too low for 18300 (I'm in VA roughly 3% tax + 75 DMV)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Now dealer has reduced the price to $21,994 plus TTL. $24,130 OTD. Is that a fair price. I heard you can get a brand new 08 SL for almost about the same price.
    Lovenavy, at that price you definitely can get a 08 new one with little to no miles.
  • amnesiacrickamnesiacrick Member Posts: 4
    I've been quoted by one dealer 20,600 OTD price for 2008 Altima 2.5S sedan base model, which they told me was a little better than the costco price (I live in Maryland 6% tax). MSRP was 21,640. Next dealer quoted me 21,018, though later said they could match 20,600 but couldn't beat it. I see the TMV pricing is $19,719 which i'm pretty sure does not include TTL, and with tax alone would come to $20902. Is this a good deal? I saw multiple posts ago that somebody was able to bargain down to under $18,000 with two dealers (surely excluding TTL, with tax alone would come to 19,080). Does anybody know what the consumer report Bottome Line price is? Is 20,600 OTD a good price?

Any help will be much appreciated.
  • mayadawn77mayadawn77 Member Posts: 7
    I dont think there is any way you should pay more than 19,000 max +ttl for the base model. I personally wouldnt pay more than 18,000 myself. I live in Washington and know for a fact I could get it for under 18,000. But believe me, its a lot of work to get them under 18,000....so keep trying.