Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Altima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• larrykwiatlarrykwiat Member Posts: 2
    yeah, I had the two dents (really small door bumps) pushed out for $75. Their bill was $412 for the two dents.... can you believe this... I cant believe that they do this kind of business....
  • og4lifeog4life Member Posts: 25
    Is there anyone out there shopping Altimas? I'm in the market and trying to see how low prices can get. I've already been offered $3K below invoice OTD before taxes. This includes the college grad rebate of $500 and a 100K mile warranty. I got a feeling there is a lot more room for negotiation as these offers were given after a brief phone conversation. Any comments?
  • jans124jans124 Member Posts: 5
    We are shopping Altimas, looking for a coupe, v6. 3K below invoice? How can a dealer do that? Looks like only $800 hold back and 50 for some other fee. If you got that over the phone (which no dealers would give me, and can't believe any dealer would do that) there must be a lot of room in that deal if that price was true and they gave it to you over the phone. Is that will all the doc fees, title, etc. as well?
  • og4lifeog4life Member Posts: 25
    I'm guessing times are bad and dealers just need to move inventory even at a loss, but it makes me wonder if there are any other incentives dealers are getting that the consumer is not aware of. One local dealer told me they would get a big bonus from Nissan if they sold 6 more cars by Saturday (end of month). Some dealership websites have prices between $1,900 to $2,500 below invoice posted (and that is before any serious negotiation. I called one and he gave me an OTD figure which reconciled back to that offer. I'm curious to see if $4,500 below invoice (including $500 college grad rebate is possible).
  • dwc5dwc5 Member Posts: 1
    Got a pretty good deal on a 3.5 auto, w/basic package which has quite a lot of features, 23,500, 25,878 otd. Better than I ever expected, and treated good.
  • bfreeman333bfreeman333 Member Posts: 12
    In my local area of St. Augustine, Florida, I've only ever seen the $1,500 rebate at Nissan of St. Augustine... They have 2009 Altima Sedan CVT S starting at $22K plus the rebate.. that seems like an awesome deal to me!
  • chipdougchipdoug Member Posts: 1
    I believe in rewarding someone for good honest business ethics. I had a great purchase experience from Stadium Nissan's Fleet/Internet Sales and I want everyone to have such an easy car buying process as I did. If you're anywhere new Orange, CA go see them!

Not only did they give me a straight honest price quote that beat all other dealer's prices but since it's a family run department they treated me and my wife with respect and were so kind to us. They didn't waste our time and made everything so easy.

I checked around at other dealers and just kept getting pushed around with them trying to get MSRP for their cars. I got my Altima 2.5s 4-door for hundreds under invoice. I would recommend you see this great team for your next Nissan! Feel free to email me back if you want their contact info.
  • xavxav Member Posts: 23
    chipdoug,

Can you please tell me how much you charge for an Altima SE coupe CVT (basic)?

Thanks
  • carguru2carguru2 Member Posts: 3
    hello. Thinking of buying a 2.5S with convinience plus package or the 2.5 SL with the same package. Wondering what folks have paid for it - including tax, registration etc.

thanks
  • gregeriegregerie Member Posts: 3
    though I would share what i paid, to help other like the site did for me.
    2009SL (the premium Package) w/ Convenience, Convenience Plus & Connections package & Spoiler for $24515 - $1500 rebate = $23,015 +TT

Dealer went below invioce.
    See my message just below your original, it should help. TT = 6% Pa 1200 and another $170 in fees
  • nascar9900nascar9900 Member Posts: 48
    2009SL (the premium Package) w/ Convenience, Convenience Plus & Connections package & Spoiler for $24515 - $1500 rebate = $23,015 +TT

I assume that is for the 4 Cyl engine and CVT?
    Sorry, I guess i should have mentioned that as well.... Yes its the 4 Cyl with CVT
  • jhouston09jhouston09 Member Posts: 5
    convenience and plus packages, no connection package, tint widows, 5 miles.

$23,500 OTD in Houston.
  • dthlindthlin Member Posts: 2
    I've been quoted $17,615 over the internet for an Altima 2.5S CVT sedan. This includes floor mats, splash guards, destination, and $1,500 cash. It doesn't include $500 grad. cash. I've confirmed that I get my color choice and it's not a demo. Has anyone done better in MI, OH, or IL?
  • zhangsquallzhangsquall Member Posts: 9
    I went into the dealership today and after I test drove I said need to consider it and left. Then I received email from them giving me this special (I quoted below)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S Sedan 4D AT - $20988

This vehicle features: Moon Roof, Bluetooth Wireless, Power Steering, Power Door Locks, FWD, SL, MP3 (Multi CD), Air Conditioning, Tilt Wheel, Heated Seats, Bose Premium Sound, Leather Steering Wheel, AM/FM Stereo, Alloy Wheels, Leather, Power Windows, Auto-Climate Control, Power Seat, Dual Front Air Bags, Front Side Air Bags, Cruise Control, Xenon Headlights

Is this a good deal?

Thanks.
    This appears to be a car with CVT, SL, Convenience, Convenience +, and Connection packages.

If true, the price quoted is about $4000 below invoice = a very good price. Even if it doesn't include the destination charge, it is $3200 below invoice.

If you liked the car, I would reply to the email requesting the out the door price. That price should be plus TTL and maybe a reasonable documentation fee. You want to make sure the price doesn't add $720 destination fees, assume you qualify for the New Grad $500 rebates, etc.
    I will email the dealer and ask him to break down the price and quote me the OTD price too. Thank you nascar9900. I'll post it here when ge gets back to me. This is the first dealer that quoted me, I might as well ask for quotes from other dealers too.
    I got a second email from them saying it will be about another $2500 for the final OTD price. So it comes down to $23,498. That includes the the $500 new grad rebate and $1500 rebate.

Is this a great deal?
    You don't have enough information to determine if it is a good deal. Specifically, what is your state's tax rate?

Essentially, if I have made the correct assumptions on the options on the car, it has an invoice price of ~$25,200. Subtracting the two rebates brings it down to $23,200.

The added ~$2500 means they are likely adding the $720 destination fee, plus a doc fee, plus whatever your tax rate is. If your tax rate is ~4%, you should be able to get that deal at any dealer. The higher your tax rate, the better the deal, the lower your tax rate, I would keep shopping.

These are very rough numbers, done pretty fast, and based on some guesses. Run your own numbers to be sure.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a finance magazine is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a vehicle and ended up with some options by the dealer at little or no extra cost. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, June 16, 2009.
    I'm in Bay Area, the tax is 9% for me.

I am contacting some other dealers to see if they can offer me a better deal. But the first dealer said this vehicle is their special promotion and would not last...
    An update. I got an offer from another two dealers. $23298 OTD with many colors and $23130 OTD with only silver ($1500 and $500 grad rebates included).
  • zoom08zoom08 Member Posts: 75
    I am looking to buy an altima, I need reliability and a car that can give me decent mileage. so I look at the Altima S and the invoice price - the $1,500 cash back.
    So it seems to be a ok deal. But should I bother to get the Altima 3.5 SE ???
    I know both cars have an automatic tranny but the difference in MPG are big. Specially when I put about 20K miles per year. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. ;)
    I need a car within 3 weeks or less.
  • gdubingdubin Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

Just want to know if I'm getting a good deal.
    I got Nissan VPP, MSRP:25,030 with the sunroof , invoice 23,530, I got 2003 Nissan Maxima with 130k miles i got $3500 trade, so no money down just a trade and rebate. OTD $20, 287.00 including NJ tax and plates.

Just want to know should i take it.
  • jakarljakarl Member Posts: 1
    Hi Zhanqsquall,

I'm also in the Bay Area and looking for similar options on a 2.5 Altima. What dealers have you been contacting?

Thanks!
    Hello jakarl,

I bought the car from Concord Nissan two days ago. The dealer gave me the lowest price on the vehilce. Very happy with the car!!

It's not allowed to disclose the names here, so email me and I will give you his contact info.

guitarlayman@gmail.com
  • bobomojobobomojo Member Posts: 4
    I was offered $19,050 out the door price for a 2.5S Base from a San Antonio dealership (6.25% tax). Is the a good deal? Or can I go lower?

Thanks.
  • farrizfarriz Member Posts: 10
    I do not think so.23530 - 3500 =20030 +7% NJ Tax ~= 21400 - rebate 1500 = 19900. You are getting the car at invoice price since you are using VPP. Without VPP you can still negotiate.
  • dthlindthlin Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an '09 Altima 2.5S w/mats & splash guards for a couple dollars over $17k, including $1500 cash and $500 grad cash, not including TTL, in MI. I was able to get 4 dealerships to give me roughly the same offer, so I bought from the one that had the color I wanted.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    You can do better, Gunn has the base model for $16,997 so the drive out price should be right at $18,279.59 or so.
  • bobomojobobomojo Member Posts: 4
    hey alamocity, thanks for the heads up. But is the base model the 2.5S or the 2.5 w/o a radio?
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    It's for the 2.5, hard to believe that it doesn't come with a radio but it doesn't. For the 2.5 S price jumps to $18,477.
  • interestedbyrinterestedbyr Member Posts: 1
    What should I be looking to pay for a New Altima Coupe 3.5 SE w/ Premium Package? I live in Cincinnati btw. I know there is the $1500 rebate, but it expires 6/30. Will there be another special offer that begins when this one expires? Thanks!
  • maddux1maddux1 Member Posts: 1
    warrior,

did you get the 2.5 CVT or Manual?
  • talent312talent312 Member Posts: 2
    This relates to a 2.5S CVT with both convenience + convenience plus, alum. kickplates, floor mats and splash guards.
    MSRP = $24,890 (plus some dealer tack ons).
    Actual Invoice = $23,156 (per Edmunds.com).
    Edmunds' TMV = $21,102 (after $1,500 rebate),
    ------------------------------------
    The salesguy and I agree to $20K (they keep the rebate) plus tax, tag & title (or so I thought). We sit down at his table and he disappears for 15 minutes. About 45 minutes later, the "business manager" has us signing papers and I'm expecting to see $21.5K at the top of the contract.

Instead it reads ~ $22K+. "WTF?" There's also a pre-printed "handling fee" of $599 which had not been mentioned. I'm ticked and ready to walk. However, my wife is with me and, although this was to be "my" car, it's the one she wants. So instead of making a scene (as I'm tempted to do), we agree to a compromise...

After the $1,500 rebate... $20,384 (or $20,943 w-handling fee tacked on).
    Still, under Invoice, close to Edmund's TMV, and much less than the prices from these car-buying services:
    Cars Direct (after-rebate) = $21,706.
    Zag (Am-Ex) Program (after-rebate) = $21,656.
    ... Going with a car-buying service would have cost me money.

Bottom Line: I regret not walking out and telling the salescreep to call us, if he decided to keep his word. But I think that we ended up with a decent price, anyway. I did find it funny after all that, that he had the gal to ask me for a favorable review in the survey. LOL.
  • kexkex Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a new 2.5S today (no options) for around 16,700 + 100 documentation today. This was well below edmunds TMV price of 19, 100 so we were very pleased.
  • talent312talent312 Member Posts: 2
    $16.7K was a very good deal. I'm jealous.
    Frankly, I didn't want $2.5K in options that came with mine, I was backed into it by my wife who just had to have "that color" -- sonoran sand, a/k/a gold. We got the cheapest "sonoran sand" 2.5S on the lot. The stripped 2.5S's were all in white.
  • tzzooomatzzoooma Member Posts: 5
    Any experience buying in DC area?
    What's the lowest this car has gone for lately?
  • curtisklinecurtiskline Member Posts: 1
    I have a deal in work with a dealer here in Oklahoma. We've agreed to a price for a specific car, and I have paid him $500 down to find it. He hasn't found it yet, and I am thinking about going elsewhere, since he said he would have it in two days and we're going on four days. But I wanted to run the deal by the forum here, and see if it sounds OK:

Altima Coupe 2.5S
    Convenience Package
    Moonroof
    5-piece mat set
    Dark Slate
    MSRP (per Edmunds): 25,295
    Invoice: 23,579
    TMV: 21,791 after 1500 rebate

I offered 21,791 and he said OK. He tacked on a $200 doc fee, but nothing else. So I should get the car for 21,991 if I can get through F&I without being a sucker.

Should I stick it out and wait for them to find the car? Or head to another local dealer who I found out has this car in-stock? I doubt the first dealership is going to give me back my $500 without a fight, so I would have to get a really good deal to make it worth walking.

Thanks,
    Curtis
  • r000r000 Member Posts: 53
    Is $18500 OTD a realistic price for a 2.5S around NYC area?

Thanks.
  • tzzooomatzzoooma Member Posts: 5
    2009 2.5 S CVT w/ conv. package and mats.
    $17.7k. $19.1k out the door.
  • salisman2salisman2 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a "used" 2009 Altima 2.5S with 6,000 miles on it. It was put in use back in September 2008 (I ran a CarFax on it before buying.)

All the standard features, plus spoiler and aftermarket rims. $15,000, $16,500 out the door.
  • rvaidyanrvaidyan Member Posts: 5
    I had a commitment from 3 dealerships in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul) area for a 2.5S at $17.5K as long as I closed today (June 30).

Since I live in Duluth and had a trade-in (2003 Honda Civic LX coupe with low miles), I did not relish the 2.5-hour drive to the twin cities and then negotiating the trade value, I went to my local dealership and agreed to $17.5K - $6K for the trade.

Final sales invoice said $17,998 - $6,499 = $11,499+TTL.

I saw a $75 "documentation fee" pre-printed on the invoice that got me upset. Finally, after a lot of arguing, he agreed to add another $50 to the trade. Final, after TTL and trade was $12,562 OTD.

I may have been able to do better playing the TC dealerships off, but it would have taken the rest of the day. Thanks to this forum for helping me set a good target price.
  • dgrebdgreb Member Posts: 65
    Doesn't it still make sense to buy new as you get the sales tax refunded (next years tax bill) on the purchase of a new car?
    Can I ask what dealer you got this from? Pm me if you don't want to say on the forum.

Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    The sales tax isn't refunded. It's deductible against your income on your federal tax return. For most people, that's 25% of the tax amount.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• r000r000 Member Posts: 53
    What dealer?
    Sorry for my ignorance, i've just moved to the US. If i'm paying $10,000 of federal tax this year, would I receive (for example) the $1200 sales tax that I paid off that bill?
    If this example isn't correct, can you provide an example? Using 6% tax on a car cost of $20k
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    No.. you'd get to deduct the $1200 from your income.

Assume you have a taxable income of $40K and pay $10K in federal tax, and you are in the 25% bracket..

The $1200 comes off the $40K, making your taxable income $38,800, and lowering your tax to $9700..

$300 savings..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator