Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Altima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• skyfan1skyfan1 Member Posts: 37
    I am not sure where you are, but I think you could do better, especially if that price does not include the convenience plus. I got Nissan with convenience plus and everything you listed plus a couple extras for a few hundred less than what you quoted here. I am in Texas. I am not sure how much your location matters.
  • jamess3jamess3 Member Posts: 16
    I bought at Boulder Nissan, but received similarly competitive bids at Empire and Ehrlich.

Good luck
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    Thanks for mentioning the dealers. I wish more posters would do so...
  • isellcarslcisellcarslc Member Posts: 1
    Hello.

If by LA you mean LA, then perhaps I can help. I sell cars in the Lake Charles area, and can perhaps find a good deal. If this interests you, then please contact me back. Thank you, and have a good day.

-Brandon
  • pen2pen2 Member Posts: 6
    Portland, OR Nissan dealers consistently run newspaper ads for Altimas at $4000 to $5000 below MSRP. Often not just for a single car, but for all their Altimas. We recently paid $19,700 for a 2010 2.5S sedan with Convenience and Convenience Plus packages, with no other fees other than the license (no sales tax here). MSRP was about $24,800. There was no negotiation -- we just took the advertised price of $5100 below MSRP. We could have chosen any of a dozen other Altimas at the same discount off MSRP.

The interesting thing (at least to me) is that this price was way below what all the online advice sites, including the Consumer Reports car price service, said was a good deal for this car. And again you see this pricing consistently in newspaper ads here. This has made me pretty skeptical of the validity of all the online pricing advice.
  • xcountryflyerxcountryflyer Member Posts: 32
    As skyfan1 said, I think you could do better. For that price, it should at least have the Conv. Plus Pkg. or it should be at least a $1000 cheaper. Personally, I think prices should be at least $4000 if not $4500 to $5000 off of MSRP (including rebates) and before TTL.

The only issue if you have your heart set on a certain color combo and option set up. I noticed there are a lot of base S models, but it gets more limited after that.
  • netspiritnetspirit Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for 2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S.
    I am in Dallas Texas.
    I used the OTD price of $18,309 posted by georgiaman .
    I went to a dealer, they gave $21,500 for 2010 Altima 2.5S with splash guards, carpet mats. There is no other opion.
    The price is much much higher than $18,309.
    There is no way to decrease it.
    Why?
    I would contact the Internet sales manager at the dealership, not a regular salesperson. I think you can get a better price than that. Try Courtesy Nissan in Richardson and Bankston Nissan of Irving. You can always play their quotes off of each other. I recently got a very good price at Courtesy.
  • kpandyakpandya Member Posts: 19
    Hi guys,
    found a used '09 Altima 3.5 SL with Leather seats, Premium audio, moon roof with only 3400 miles :surprise: on it(even carfax mentions this) The dealer is quoting $24800, plus 389$ processing fee. I am planning to go for a test drive tomorrow, but would appreciate if any can help on negotiating the price? I am going to quote around $21k for this, dont know if the dealer would agree because it has got only 3400 miles on it.

Let me know guys, thanks
  • dloppdlopp Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    To All, At a minimum you should easily be able to get $5000 off of MSRP. I Recently bought a fully loaded (every option) 2010 NIssan Altima 2.5SL with Tech Pkg,and everything else offered that had MSRP of $30,800. Price OTD was $25,000. That also included window tinting after market add on from dealer. The discount was $5,800 off plus dealer cost of Window Tinting add on ($175). That's a 19% discount which is well under True Dealer Cost. Will have to pick up 2 hrs from home rather than using the local dealer which was a joke of a quote. Great deals are out there folks for 2010's that are still left. Appears to be plenty! Regional Area: NE, MO, IA, KA. Good Luck!!
    dlopp is exactly right. $5000 or more off MSRP should be easy to get. This is way below what TrueCar, Consumers Reports, Edmunds, and the other online services say you should have to pay.
  • dloppdlopp Member Posts: 11
    All, If you are willing to request quotes "online' outside of your local area a bit, these dealerships are dying to get your business outside their area. It benefits them to have their cars out in other areas not local to their dealership. With just a little bit of work and maybe a return call or 2 to your cell phone is about all it takes. When online, you have all the advantage. Make sure you leverage at least 2 quotes from diff. dealers and in a matter of a day or 2 you'll get your price. Be patient and not in a hurry to do anything. Use the local dealers for test drives. :) Anyway, what a great time to buy an Altima! The dealership I used was from St. Joseph, MO named Rolling Hills Nissan. I saved a 1K dollars over local dealership and the online sales manager was great to work with and never once pushed or tried the ole bait-n-switch trick. They even located the exact car I wanted with a few extra options I didn't need. Didn't feel as though I paid for them either with the price I got (see prior post).
  • rickqueen1rickqueen1 Member Posts: 1
    My local Nissan dealer (Nissan of Gastonia) in N.C. offers a lifetime powertrain warranty. My question to the salesman was "In the event your dealership goes out of business, will Nissan stand behind the warranty". He said it would, but in reading the warranty, this isn't mentioned at all. Also, it does not mention whether labor is covered. The salesman says it is covered, but this also is not addressed anywhere in the waranty. What's your thoughts on this, and how can I get a difinitive answer on these 2 questions ?
    You have your answer. "If it sounds too good to be true..." If Nissan was backing the warranty it would be available at all Nissan dealers, right? Thanks for mentioning the dealer so other shoppers won't waste their time with Nissan of Gastonia.
  • jtfieldsjtfields Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    Just bought an Altima 2.5S over the weekend here in Houston, TX. My old car "blew up" and I needed to get something fairly quick so I did not spend a lot of time going from dealer to dealer to haggle and am sure I could have gotten a better deal. I visited two Nissan dealers in all.

I initially set out to get a 2.5 (no radio) that was listed in the newspaper for $16,988. I ended up getting a dark slate with charcoal interior 2.5S without any options other than floor mats and splash guards for $20,000 plus TTL (adding the 6.25% sales tax here in Texas and the nominal fees made drive out a little over $21,600.) Sticker was $22,900. I also got 0% financing for five years.

I purchased it from Baker Nissan near Reliant Stadium. The people were nice but the experience was a typical car buying experience. I talked to the salesman, we start talking price so the manager comes in, if I mention wanting to leave to think about it they run to lock the front door, and so on and so on. Like every other car I've purchased, as we were signing the paperwork the salesman just went on and on about his disbelief of what a great deal I got and how the manager just must've been in a great mood. Like I don't know that my 7 year old kid could have probably walked in and negotiated that deal. The only frustrating part was waiting for "finance". I agreed to buy the car around 4 p.m. (we arrived at the dealership at 2 p.m.) and it was about 7 p.m. by the time I was signing the loan documents and turning down the warranty and maintenance packages. Actually, that part (the waiting around) was very frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I would certainly recommend Baker Nissan to a friend but there was nothing that set them apart from any other car buying experience I've had.

The last new car I purchased for myself was in 1997 (got the wife a SUV four years ago) and this was an unplanned purchase so, not being a "car buff", I really wasn't up to speed on what's out there. I had hoped to buy a new car in a year to 18 months or so and being forced to go ahead and get one now drastically reduced my budget as to what I assumed I would spend when I finally did take the plunge. I really just honed in on the Altima over a two day period of reading newspaper ads and looking around on the internet. I state all that to emphasize what a pleasant surprise my initial experience has been with the Altima. My last new car was a BMW and of course the Altima can't corner like the Bimmer and doesn't have the punch but it is a smoother ride and it certainly is not under powered. I'm very impressed with what you can get for your money these days (I thought you had to buy a luxury car to get keyless entry and ignition.) The interior is high quality for the money and many safety features that were expensive add ons the last time I bought a car are now standard. I've seen some complaints in these forums about the seats being "hard" but I haven't noticed that. The Altima also looks pretty sharp in my opinion compared to other cars in its class. All in all it seems like a great value and, assuming the car is reliable, I think I am going to be very happy with it. I told the salesman I would probably only drive this car for 18 months or so but I can see myself keeping it for the long haul.
    A dealer in the Sacramento, Calif. area offers a 10 year/100K powertrain warranty with every new car purchase. We combed the fine print. It was only good at the dealership, you had to show maintenance records (whether done at dealer or 3rd party) and had to pay $200 deductible. The finance manager tried to tell us that maintenance had to be done at the Nissan dealer. Then we pointed out the fine print that said "recommended" to be done at the Nissan dealer. The finance manager then had the gall to say they must have changed it in the past few days. This guy must try to pull this trick on everyone.
    You probably already know this, but having gotten burned myself, it's good to keep in mind that such a warranty may be good only as long as this particular dealer is in business. Ask yourself how confident you are that this dealer will be there that long.
    edited August 2010
    Yes, it did cross my mind when my brother bought the car, but it wasn't something worth worrying about. This dealership group owns a few different brand dealerships and Nissan doesn't seem to be oversaturated in the Sacramento area fortunately. I figured the extended powertrain was just a bennie since they had the car they wanted in stock (3 total in NorCal) and was close to their home.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience - so what happened with your dealership? Was it a Ford/GM/Chrysler dealership?
  • tomcat626tomcat626 Member Posts: 24
    Hi all, the website says the 2.5S has a MSRP of $21,800 but the acutal stickers in dealer's lot say $20,895, isn't this weird? The reason I am asking this is when I was trying to get a quote for Convenience Package online, a internet sale manager gave me a good selling price of $16,895 for the base model and was later insisting on $20,360 for the one with the Convenience package. Do they use the MSRP difference or something to play some games? Thanks guys.
  • wakaruwakaru Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am looking to buy an Altima and found this forum to be very informative. Want to get people's feedback from the quote that I received and see if there are ways to improve it.

Altima 2.5S with convenience, con. plus and audio

MSRP $26185
    Selling price $21930 after $1000 rebate and $500 customer bonus cash
    Tax is $2289.79
    Lic fees $394.75
    Doc fee $55
    Total $24669.54

This is out of San Leandro Nissan, CA

Assuming this is a good price, what are some other "freebies" I am realistically ask for?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    I'm not sure about the price of the actual vehicle as the Altima 2.5S I purchased a few days ago did not have any of the optional packages, however, I did want to mention I was initially told that I had to chose between the rebate and the 0% financing. By the time we were through dealing I was able to get both. Not sure if you need financing but just thought I'd mention it in case you do.
    edited August 2010
    Does it have any other options on it? Like floormats, splash guards, etc?

For reference, my brother got a 2.5S with con, con plus, splash and floormats for $20,518 after rebates but before taxes/fees. I think should drive it down a bit further.

My brother did not want the audio pkg. so I searched everywhere in NorCal. I found that there were a lot more cars with con, con plus and audio. You should be able to play dealers off each other especially if you're open to color. Use the Nissan website search dealer inventory. It is tons better than going to each dealer's website.
    Doesn't seem right to me. Was that $20,895 actually on the official Nissan window sticker?

The $20,360 price for a 2.5S with con and no floormats or any other options is not a very good deal. Brother paid $20,518 and got con plus, floormats and splash.
    I am not sure about in Calif., but in Texas could negotiate down about $1000 more. I agree to play one dealer off against another. This is best done over the Internet, not in person, using an Internet sales person.

So far as freebies, I was able to talk them into kick plates, splash guards, 4 oil changes and tint.
    The latest quote I got is $19,833 over MSRP $22,695.00. It seems that Nissan dealers here in SoCal are tough, it's so hard to work with them. One of the dealers just kissed me goodbye when I tried to negotiate in the first round. I am pretty upset now.
    Don't get upset and give them any satisfaction. SoCal is a big place - there will be a dealer who is willing to work with you. Do not work with the average sales sleaze. Call or email and ask for the Internet managers or Internet salespeople. They seem to be much better to work with.

However, I am very confused about your MSRP. It can't be an S with Con pkg. Can you list exactly what you would like and are getting quoted for?
    Hi xcountryflyer, right now I am doing the talking online only.
    Below is the quote I mentioned in the earlier post, but I just noticed that he did not explicitly say there is a Convenience Pkg. Is it possible that he is playing again?
    I just want a 2.5S with Convenience Pkg.
    ========================
    Our Premiere Internet Price on the vehicle you requested is as follows:
    $19,333.00 plus tax & license fees.(This includes standard destination charges)

This net price is calculated as follows:
    MSRP $22,695.00
    Internet Sales Price $21,333.00
    Rebate $1,000.00
    College Grad $500.00 **
    Bonus Cash $500.00
    Net Premiere Price $19,333.00
    Total Savings $3,362.00
    Thanks for following up with more details. That cannot be a 2.5S with Convenience. A 2.5S with no options is MSRP $22,580. I can't figure out what is adding $115.00 dollars since no options/accessories on the official options list is that price.

Also - unless you are a recent college grad., you will not qualify for the $500.00. So the price they are quoting is actually $19,833. That is a horrible price, IMHO. I think you can and should do much better.

What I recommend is for your to go to www.nissanusa.com and go to Find A Dealer at the bottom of the page and start looking at the inventory of all dealers that you are willing to drive to. You can sort by color and model and it'll show what option packages they have. Write the details down for each one you find so you can remember later.

To help me out, can you let me know what you are open to?

Exterior colors?
    Interior colors?
    City or area you are in?
    Thanks xcountryflyer. It turned out the $22,580 is a 2.5 with some options. :( I just wanted a Winter Front 2.5S with CP so later this dealer gave me another quote:
    ===
    MSRP $23,865.00
    Internet Sales Price $22,314.00
    Rebate $1,000.00
    College Grad $500.00 **
    Bonus Cash $500.00
    Net Premiere Price $20,314.00
    I am not quite happy with this price but this is pretty much the thing from 3 different dealers around my home and my workplace(30 miles apart).
    So far 3 of the 7 dealers I asked never responded, 1 just turned me down and only this one is working with me actively. I love the car but not their salespersons, should I just take it?
    BTW I live in San Bernardino County, California.
    That's interesting, jtfields, how did you manage to get them both? The normal APR is 2.9%, right? A saleperson told me that they could knock it down to 1.9% if I put something down.
    edited August 2010
    If you're not happy with the price, you should keep looking or haggling. Don't want to start your new car experience with a downer.

- Are you a recent college grad? If not, then that $500 rebate should not be included.

You need to search NissanUSA.com. I took a quick look at the inventory search on there and found five dealers just outside SB that had 2.5S in white and conv pkg. You can always call and ask for the Internet manager as well. Tell them you're looking for white with con. package and you've found multiple ones and ask them for their best price.

Personally, I'd be shooting for $19-19.5K with Con package and floor mats.

If these dealers aren't beating the prices you can get on carsdirect.com - that's a no go.
    I don't know how the dealer arranged it. My paperwork clearly shows the rebate and I got 0% financing for five years and no down payment so I know it is possible.

The price on the car you are getting is definitely better than mine though. I paid $20,000 without the convenience package. I was in the unfortunate position of needing to buy the car over a day or two so there wasn't a lot of time for me to haggle. In fact,I had no idea what kind of car I even wanted when I began so I spent most of those couple of days just trying to figure out what to buy.
    found a '08 altima v6 3.5 with premium,sports,tech package with 32k miles on it. Found it in Carmax, and their no-haggle price is $21,899

please advise, I am seriously considering it,

Thanks
    How about checking KBB, Edmunds and NADA first?
    Never mind, I changed my mind, since the car has already got 32k miles on it, and Nissan's warranty runs out @36k miles, I wud have had to pay extra 1-2k for the carmax warranty, and I would eventually shell out $24k for a '08 but thanx for the reply anyway
  • joerareyjoerarey Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2010
    Just closed the deal with Matt Castrucci Nissan near Dayton, OH on a 36month / 15k miles per year lease of an Altima Coupe, 3.5SR Winter Frost w Blond leather, prem pkg, mats, kickplates, spoiler with the following breakdown:

MSRP $32,710
    Base Cap Cost $28,467 (the negotiated price of the car)
    Dealer Acquisition Fee $595
    Up Front Sales Tax + Fees $1,237
    Gross Capitalized Cost $30,299 (the neg. price with the fees added back in)

Down Payments $0
    Bonus Cash Rebate $500
    Lease Loyalty Rebate $3000 (Nissan's best kept secret and the amount varies by car)
    Net Capitalized Cost $26,799 (or 'OTD' in terms of a sale)

Residual Value $16,639
    Money Factor 0.00133
    Term of Lease 36 / 15k

Monthly Lease Payment $340.00

The most striking thing about this go round of buying (leasing) a car is that out of 8 dealers that I made contact with there were only three dealers that really made the effort to close a deal. Thanks to the great info here and other research I knew the exact car I wanted, knew there were only one or two in the entire region, and knew all the details of my lease turn in and a new lease. The only thing to discuss was bottom line price.

Long story short Tom Wood Nissan and Butler Nissan in Indy as well as the dealer closest to me, Castrucci Nissan, really wanted to sell me a car. Butler started playing a shell game with the rebates and eliminated themselves. Even Castrucci originally dropped the ball when the salesman I was dealing with left on a 1 week vacation without any sort of a handoff, I ended up dealing there directly with the Asst Sales Mgr. who was awesome to work with. Once we began talking price it took about 20 minutes to agree to terms, and another two days for him to retrieve the car from West Virginia. The sales person at Tom Wood was a very respectful pro and they were very competitive, but the distance (100miles) was a factor. If not for that they would have won my business.

Thanks to Car_Man and all the other posters here for all the info. It was very valuable in helping me wind up with what I consider to be very good deal.
  • deeashdeeash Member Posts: 2
    Folks

I am buying with 0% APR. Got this offer.
    Sale Price: 23,650
    OTD: ~25,500

Does it look right - think it can get any better ?
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    I am getting a new Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT for $17988 plus TTL. Is this a good deal? Any feedback and opinions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
    Better than my deal. I paid $20,000 (even) with 0% APR.
    Does this include any accessories/options like floor mats, splash guards, etc?

I think it is a good price. I think one should be getting at least $4500 off MSRP for any 2010 Altima. That's what my brother got. You should get them to throw in floor mats at least.

What color exterior and interior?
    It only has floor mats. Its silver with gray interior. I am trying to get lower if possible.
    edited August 2010
    I think you should be able to get lower. When I was helping my brother look there were tons of base 2.5S models around. Supply is definitely in your favor. Hopefully, you live in an area with at least a few dealers to choose from so you can go quote shopping and price beating.

My brother only liked two colors and wanted Con. and Con. Plus Pkgs. so we only found 3 in all of NorCal, but we still got $4622 off of MSRP.
    The MSRP is $22,725. The dealer has given me 2 options:

$20,000 OTD with 2.99% for 60 months financing or

$21,000 OTD with 0% for 60 months financing.

What do you all think I should do? Thanks.
    $21,000 OTD with 0% APR is close to what I got. I wasn't given a 2.99% option. The deals are pretty darn close but the 0% is a better deal, payments will be $350 per month vs. around $360 with the 2.99%. Since they are both five year deals you should be able to tell which is better simply by comparing the payments.
    edited August 2010
    When it comes to financing - I'm completely lost. Like the previous poster said, you'll have to look at the monthly payment and total cost over the life of the loan, and what you can afford. Was this the best offer from the dealers you looked at?
    Very informative and helpful post...and thank you for mentioning the dealers. Not enough posters do that. Enjoy your Altima.
    Yeah, this was the best offer from all the dealers I looke at. In the end, I didn't buy a altima or any other car. I will wait to see if any other offers come along. Thank for all your feedbacks.
    edited August 2010
    Hi Guys,
    I was quoted $22500 final offer from the dealer for a
    '09 Altima 3.5 SE with Prem. & Sports Package.
    The car is certified, and has 26k miles on it.

Is this a good deal
  • lkdoglkdog Member Posts: 14
    MSRP is $30,195
    Invoice is $27,731

Has Premium, Sport, and Mat options.

Moderate size dealer in Midwest. They have about 35 Altimas on the lot, but all are 2.5, 2.5S, 2.5SL except this one.

It has sticker on window, but looks like a dealer staff has been driving it home a bit-has personal papers on the seat, change in cup holder, etc.......

Edmunds TMV says $27,988 and then customer cash back of another $1500 for a final price of $26,488.

US News says $26,650 is average price paid.
    US News says Dealer actual cost is $25,412.

What should I shoot for here?? Zip is 61265.

Thanks. Am a longtime Camry owner and want to switch.
    We also switched from Camrys to an Altima and have been happy so far.

We paid $5100 under MSRP for our 2.5S, which was the deal advertised in the paper that week, and is not uncommon here. I don't know about the 3.5, but would guess that the dealer would make money selling at least $5000 under MSRP. For these cars, TMV is way high.