Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Altima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• deepfreezedeepfreeze Member Posts: 3
    2005 Altima SE (3.5 Auto)

Splash Guards

Floor & Trunk Mats- 5 piece

Protection package

No haggling, straight at invoice price, less the cash back

Was going to quote the MSRP, Invoice, TMV with all above the options, but found the numbers being different what I had 3 days ago.

Any way, Edmunds.com helped a lot.

It was the second dealer in local I bought it from. The first one also at invoice, different options, but the unit was tested drive too often with more 170 miles. The one I got was less than 40.

Found from another website, that the price might have been 1000 below invoice (ideally), since I found out there was $640 holdback, so might be able to get down to $300 below invoice.

Any way, I just loved this car (first import I owned), really help me in Twin Cities, when the temp is -8F!!
  • alpine1alpine1 Member Posts: 51
    I think having the dealer get the vehicle from another dealer is risky. When I purchased my Nissan, one dealer told me they could get the vehicle from another dealer about 150 miles away. When I asked how they plan on getting the vehicle delivered, the salesman said someone would drive it from the other dealership. So someone would drive it on the interstate at 65- 70 MPH for about 2 and 1/2 hours - which violates the break-in period described in the owner's manual. I said no thanks to the deal.
    Just got my purchase order on 1/12/2005:

the MSRP was listed as 24700, invoice 22833

, with 1500 cash back = 21333, I paid: 21300 (did try to knock down another 300 bucks, but couldn't)

+ title & fees.

Please note that the MSRP, Invoice, and Destination charges at Edmunds.com are different from that of 1 week ago (some web sites still have the same price, so Edmunds' are higher, on Altima SE V6 Auto)

What I know is: the destination charge I paid was 560 instead of 580 as this web site stated.

and the invoice and MSRP at this web site are also higher than one week ago. (about $100 each)
  • dave124dave124 Member Posts: 12
    Deepfreeze-

Did you get any of the options on the vehicle?

Thanks for the info.
    see msg 419.

Dave(?), if you are looking for one w/ Nav., I did have one of dealers in Twin Cities (Minnesota) quoted me at invoice over e-mail as well. Another dealer lured me into his dealership for a test drive (and that was why I decided to get a Nissan instead of a Honda or Toyota), but quoted me 200 over invoice, I just walked out and bought one from another dealer with almost identical options with 150 less miles on it (the first was over 190 miles, the one I bought was 36)

Keep in mind, [published] Invoice is not the true dealer invoice, but is a good reference point. A true one, should have the maker's logo on it, not just a computer print out. I think there's an unpulished holdback on Altimates (around $600?). So from invoice, less the cash back, there is some room to negotiate down still. Good luck
  • huskerdoo1huskerdoo1 Member Posts: 13
    Hi, I currently own a 2002 nissan altima 2.5s. I love this car but it does not fair well in snow. I am considering replaceing this car with 2005 SE3.5 leather package and manual transmission which has an MSRP of around or just under 26800. I do not miind buying the manual, in fact I prefer it as I have had only 2 other automatics one of which is my current altima. I believe the stick is better for driving in the snow.

I have 2 questions. The first is regarding the new autmatics (which are everywhere). Is it a reasonable substitute for a manual when driving in the snow. Will the extra control be their? What about adding the TRC option, would this help?

My second question is what are people seeing this car go for in the ohio valley region?

pondering,

Thank you
  • huskerdoo1huskerdoo1 Member Posts: 13
    Wow, where is everyone? Any recent purchases of the SE3.5 out there. Did you internet deal or in person? How close to the TMV and iinvoice did you get. Lets hear some noise out there!
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    if the computer printouts are what i think they are, those are just the invoices that come in before the vehicle arrives on the lot - still legit, just without the logo (they look like dot matrix printers printed them)

just an fyi

-thene
  • socalbobsocalbob Member Posts: 23
    Just bought a 2005 Altima SL 2.5 w/Leather for $500 under dealer invoice. Took the 1.9% financing instead of the $1500 rebate. (Otherwise the deal would have been $2000 under invoice price). Easy deal with the fleet department of Miller Nissan in Van Nuys (L.A.), California. They were $500 cheaper than carsdirect.com . TMV was higher than carsdirect.com's price.

I personally don't like Edmund's TMV as it tries to portray the "average" price paid for this car in your area (or nationwide, if you don't enter your zip code), but that's not always the best deal you can get. I don't want an average deal; I want a good one. That's why I find the edmunds.com forums so valuable.
  • southerncalsoutherncal Member Posts: 1
    Socalbob,

Did you buy at 2.5 or a 3.5 could you provide a breakdown of price and features. I am planning to get a 2.5S with side airbags and ABS, that is it! and replicating your experience at Miller Nissan would be helpful.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Good luck finding one...

I remember when I got my 05, I couldn't find a model with ABS to save my life...
  • rufus1959rufus1959 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2005 Altima 2.5S on 1/26/05 and I paid $18,500 including tags, title, taxes, etc.The $1500 rebate included, too. It has very few options and it listed at $20,500. I feel I got a good deal and I did not have to haggle too much.One of my few good buying experiences.It must be a good time to buy a vehicle. Car drives great and mpg ain't too bad either. Nice power for a 4 cylinder.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,284
    As long [non-permissible content removed] you understand what an average is (which you do) what's the beef about TMV? The average is the middle, some do better and some do worse. It's still good info to have.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    I figure the educated shopper can probably do better than TMV most of the time. Let the uneducated consumers hold the TMV average up as a penalty for doing no homework! :)

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mariowarmariowar Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new Altima S 2.5 for $19.000 plus tax and registration fees, 1% - 60 months, houston, Texas. NO downpayment.

Do you think this is a good deal?
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,284
    What options do you have? Are you getting a rebate on top of that $19k? Sounds like it's probably average.
  • mariowarmariowar Member Posts: 2
    No, I checked the invoice price, so I told them that I would pay 19.000 instead of the 20.600 that was sticked to the window. They told me, you want 1500 rebate or 1%, and I said, I want the 1%. I mean it was either a 1500 rebates OR 1% for qulified buyers only.

I hope that I made a fair deal...
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Mid, that's a really unspecific question! You really need to provide more details about the car you're looking for, and where you're shopping. Plus, there are a load of posts about prices others have paid earlier in this discussion, if you're only looking for a ballpark

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

The SE-R comes fully loaded they are very little options! The SE-R model actually specifies the options: leather, special suspension, auto climate control, xexon lights, Bose radio, heated mirrors, 18" alloy wheels, sun roof, power windows, remote entry, security package, gauge packages, 260 hp,high performance engine So the question is not that upspecific!!

Okay there are two major options you can add: side air bags with traction control ($800) and Sirrus radio ($400) Other than that there are olny minor options; floor mats, splash guards, protective kit ($70 emergency road & first aid).

So I ask the question again, what is a good price for a 2005 Code Red 6-speed SE-R with side air bags/traction control, Sirrus radio, floor mats and splash guards ?
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    How many of these cars are at dealerships already? I just read a review of this model in a car magazine. If it is so new you'll probably have to pay close to full MSRP and rebates are probably not on this model too. Some dealers may even try for more than MSRP by adding expensive packs like fancy wax jobs, pinstripes, alarms and ADM (added dealer markup).

The article guessed MSRP to be $30,000 including shipping.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Best deal I ever got on a new Nissan was 2/3 times MSRP with no dealer adds. A 33% discount on that car was a good deal. I've done bettter on Korean cars.
    There are quite a few in Houston. I have been quote by one for $29,039 with the sideair bags/traction control($800), Sirrus radio ($400), floor mats ($150), splash guards, emergency kit ($70), and sun roof deflector ($90 which I asked if they could remove). MSRP was slightly above $31,000. The $29,039 seemed like a great price. However the salesman told me the 1% financing did not apply to the SE-R which I found by calling NMAC to be incorrect. The $1,500 rebate deos nopt apply to the SE-R but the 1% Tier 1 financing does.

I took it for a test drive and liked the exhuast sound hnadling and power. If you took off hard in first it seemed to scrub the tires and wouldn't immediately connect-up. I wasn't really a spin and squeal

The Bose stereo did not sound good at all. I have an old 5-speed 1993 Lexus ES-300 that has a much much better factory stereo.

What bothers me the most is possbile relaibility problems and resale. The automatic 2005 3.5 SEs are going for $5,000 off MSRP. If you buy the top-end of a series you are always hurt by discounts on other cars in the series.

Anyway , I want a trouble free fast 4-5 person car that will last 5 years without any trouble.

Should i go get the SE-R 6-speed or go for a Honda Accord Coupe 6-speed ?

Thanks for your input and have a great day,

MidCow
    but not as good as the Accord's...but they are much better than average now a days.

The Altima really has stepped up to the plate as of late.
    actually the new 2005 altima has a higher resale value currently than the accord or camry - i read it in automotive news. you will not be hurt by resale value on this car - believe me!

the SE-R is one kick [non-permissible content removed] car...i'd look into one if i had the money - right now i have its baby brother, the sentra SE-R spec V...and i love it!

go for the altima, you wont regret it!
  • linkin8rlinkin8r Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2005 Altima 3.5 SE with the sport pacakge and ABS and all that for 20,900. It had 2400 miles on it. I was looking at a few 2003 2.5 S and 2.5 SL used at some places (CARMAX) and those were only 2k less and didn't have ABS but had 5 times the mileage at least. I think I got a good deal. I live in Chicagoland area.

Linkin8r
  • rootleerootlee Member Posts: 2
    It's a new 2005 2.5S with few options. The MSRP is $20600. I got it for $15988 after the $1500 rebate and $500 college graduate rebate. With 6% tax and license fee, the total is $17290 out of the door. Not sure why they are selling it at such a low price, it only has 50 miles.
  • bluewookiejimbluewookiejim Member Posts: 7
    picked up an Altima 3.5 SE for the wife yesterday, with the following options:
    Leather Package
    Side Air Bags and TCS
    Side Sills/Rear splash guards
    5 pc floor mat set
    Protection/first aid Pkg

25,500 final price, not including TTL. MSRP was 28,820.
  • seven11seven11 Member Posts: 1
    After looking at everything from used Altimas, Maximas, Accords, Camries, and a couple Mazdas, I finally nailed down what I felt was a pretty good deal on an 05 S. Base model with just the side airbag / ABS package, splash guards and trunk mat for $19.5, and $20.2 out the door. From my calculations, it's about $200 under invoice as I did the 1% instead of the rebate.

I emailed a few Nissan dealerships in the area. The one in Durham was $1000 (yes, 1000) above invoice before rebate. Greensboro was close but the internet person had the nerve to question my selection process when I asked about another vehicle on their lot so that nixed them. I never heard back from Southern States in Apex or Raleigh, but I had been to the Apex store before and they were trying to sell me an 05 based with 30k miles for $17k (yes you read that right). I didn't have good experience with either of those two.

I'm in North Carolina and the dealership was Modern Nissan in Winston Salem. GREAT experience. I simply emailed the Internet Manager (she's been really nice) and got a quote on the price the next day with a follow call to make sure I received the email. I actually live in the Raleigh area so they knocked off the doc fee because of competition with Southern States in the Raleigh area.

I actually had found a better deal in the DC area (Herb Gordon Nissan in MD) through their internet department at about $600 under on the base model, but ended up here because I was pressed for time. (It would have been close to even anyway because of the doc fees.) If you're in the DC area, they may be worth a look as well.

It's amazing the prices that I found on used Altimas. Most places wanted within a grand of a new 05 for a used 05 Altima, and within 2 grand or so for a 02 or 03 base model. The amazing thing is that they were sticking to their pricing even after a little negotiation.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but if you're close to NC, Modern Nissan is definitely worth a look, as is Herb Gordon Nissan in the MD / DC area. Just make sure you do the internet departments.
  • wls01wls01 Member Posts: 1
    I thought I would share my buying experience based on the information learned on this site and some others. I dealt with 5 dealers via the internet and emails back and forth and found the following deal to be the best. I actually bought the car without ever driving it. Here are the numbers. I wrote a check for $20,400 and drove away. I am in the Philadelphia area and purchased from Sloane Nissan in Devon, PA.

MSRP Invoice

2.5 S 19,700.00 18,425.00
    F01 1,680.00 1,457.00
    4 Piece floor mat N/C N/C

T01 Side Bags/ABS 800.00 700.00

22,180.00 20,582.00
    Dealer disc 579.88
    Manuf rebate 1,500.00
    Destination 580.00 580.00
    22,760.00 19,082.12
    Sales Tax % 0.06 0.06
    Sales Tax 1,365.60 1,144.93
    Total 24,125.60 20,227.05
    Tags 172.95 172.95
    Grand Total 24,298.55 $20,400.00
    Savings off of list price --> 3,898.55
    Savings off of invoice --> 2,079.88
  • ltillmanltillman Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in the 2.5 sl or 3.5 sl with
    sport package. Has anyone purchased one recently and what type of deal did you get, also any problems with the car?
    Thanks
  • puripuri Member Posts: 19
    Hi ,..i am struggling between buying a 2.5S 05, and a PaSSAT GLS. I know there is a slight variation in price. with the ALTIMA, the basic version i am getting at 199+taxes for 24 months and 1500 down. while the PASSAT that i am getting at 240 inc tax, 36 months (BOTH ARE LEASES).....
    what do u suggest in terms of
    1. Value
    2. resale value
    3. Reliability (esp in the winter, since i live in Jersey)
    4. Any other down/upsides?

i plan to make the decision this weekend.. would appreciate any inputs..thanks
    Rahul
    Hi puri,
    This topic is really for those who have already decided to purchase the Altima. To talk to other owners about reliability and other up- and downsides, please visit our regular Nissan Altima discussion. If you want to compare the two vehicles, you can visit our Comparisons - Sedans vs. Sedans board.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• syoung333syoung333 Member Posts: 1
    Just got done with the set of phone calls between various dealers after having gone though Edmunds guide. The confirmed offer after deducting the manufacturer's (1500) and student (500) rebates is:

$17,495 for an Altima 2.5S Automatic with the optional mat set and splash guards.
    Financing APR for 48 months is 4.75% (first new car purchase so can't expect lower)

The only other charges after this are the usual tax and license fees. I should also be able to wrangle out some deal on service discounts. I think this is a good deal for California, but I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions. Planning to actually buy this later today...

Thanks.
  • jenmun13jenmun13 Member Posts: 2
    I located a dealership in the L.A. area that had the exact car I wanted to buy ('05 blk/blk SE manual w/no options). A few weeks later I went in to negotiate, and the salesman told me that the car was previously sold but was returned because the guy couldn't get financed. The mileage is a little over 500, but the dealer insists that the car is still new (because the registration/title was never processed) and is offering me only $200 below invoice. I don't feel that this is the best he can do; I believe the car should be re-sold as "used" (ethically speaking) with a deeper discount. What do you think a fair price would be for this situation? Maybe get them to throw in a sunroof...???

I'd like to purchase this car ASAP, so any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!!! :)
  • jenmun13jenmun13 Member Posts: 2
    hey syoung333, I don't know exactly where in cali you're located, but while searching for my car I came across an ad for Thousand Oaks Nissan (about 40 miles from L.A.) ...they had a 2.5S for %16,499 (not sure if that included the college grad rebate?)

hope this helps & good luck!

jenmun13
    since the car has not been registered or titled, it is still new. its weird that the dealership even gave the guy the car before he was financed (dumb move on their part - we dont move a car til the finanacing is set) However I am in CT, and maybe CA rules are different. Only $200 below invoice isn't bad - he's not going to hand you the car if its a rare car that he thinks he can hold a little money on. just a view from the other side. I hope things do work out for you!

thene
  • carshopncarshopn Member Posts: 2
    Looking to buy a 2.5s w/ convenience pkg and hopefully ABS. They are hard to find. I am really wanting ABS, not sure why, besides I have always been told that they are a must for safety reasons. Any input on this would be great. Also, on price I have always been told to shoot for 80% of the MSRP when negotiating. I did this with my last new vehicle purchase and it proved to work in my favor. This was with a more expensive vehicle though. Is this asking too much in terms for an Altima. Ex, MSRP is $22,000 and 80% = $17,600 for purchase price. Of the $4400 discount, $1500 is from rebate, so I guess I would be negotiating around $2900 off of sticker. Any input would be great.
    i am looking at an invoice to a car we have that is the exact car you are looking for. here's the breakdown.

msrp 22760
    invoice 21156
    holdback 591

the difference between msrp and invoice minus holdback is only about 2100 - so expecting the dealer to take off $2900 plus the $1500 rebate isnt going to happen. but, now you have the numbers so you can work a good deal. if you leave 200-300 in the holdback for the dealer, he usually will take the deal. its not an always, but nissan is trying to move cars this month - its worth a shot! let us know how you do!
  • brickersbrickers Member Posts: 12
    hey guys i just bought my Altima today and i'm very happy with how the deal turned out. Very little stress on the buying process.

Altima 3.5 SL
    MSRP 28,530 Invoice:26,650
    Paid: 24,400 +TTL
    this price is with the rebate

the car has traction control, floor mats and sidesill option and tinted windows(i really didn't care for). Any ways this car is awesome, handles well and it is fast.

I do have one question, the dealer mentioned something about the 3.5SL's suspension being more luxury tuned and hence absorbs bumps better compared to the 3.5SE or the 2.5? I did drive both and couldn't tell the difference too much. Any thoughts on that? thanks
    this is true - but most people won't feel the difference. any nissan that has an SL badge on it versus an SE badge is going to have a slightly softer tuned suspension. you probably would notice it more over really bad roads or long trips. enjoy your new altima! sounds like you got one heck of a deal!
  • carshopncarshopn Member Posts: 2
    Well, I have it narrowed down to 2 dealers. Boy, Nissan or these dealerships must be trying to move some cars by month end. This is for the 2.5S with conv.pkg, side sill and guards, and the floor mats. It retails around $22,300. I started shopping about a month ago putting some feelers out there and pretty heavy for the last week and a half. I think I am driving these saleman nuts. I've been in and out of their dealerships 3 or 4 times each. Finally one said that he could get me into one for $18000 a week ago. I only qualify for the $1500 rebate,not the extra $500 college grad rebate. I then started using that as a ballpark. Right now I have one to $17,500 but he says it will only be good through tomorrow since I supoosedly can help them make their month end goal with Nissan. Maybe they get some extra spiffs for selling 100 Nissan's in a month. With 2 days left they need 4 more sales to reach that goal. I think this is a pretty good deal considering it is about $4800 off of retail. This ended up exceeding my goal of purchasing this Altima for 80% of retail. It calculates @ 78.5% of retail for a final purchase price of $17,500. The only bummer for me was not being able to find the 2.5S with the standard convenience package and the ABS. Hopefully Nissan starts putting the ABS standard on all of their 2.5's. Happy car shoppin' to all!!!
  • ronni_eronni_e Member Posts: 9
    A dealer offered me a 3.5SE with some options that I wanted for $25,080. He offered me a $2000 rebate, 5.54% financing and 90 days deferred payment. Thus the cost of the car is $23,080. If I go to www.nissanusa.com the car has a MSRP of $25,280. Just wondering what everyones opinion was?
    Why???

Because if he is offering you 5.54% financing, you must have good enough credit to get a similar loan from someone else...

Futhermore, that's just around $2000 off MSRP...you should be able to get an Altima at INVOICE....minus the rebate, in other words...the $2000 below invoice if the rebate is $2000...

What all options did the car have, be specific
    What do you mean Why?? If he is offering me 5.54% why go elsewhere? The $2000 off, 5.54% with 90 days deferred payment is part of the college grad program. Thats what he offered me. Ive not yet tried to negotiate prices as im contacting a couple of other dealers to get some prices.

The car has side sills, floor mats and rear spoiler. Its the 3.5SE Automatic Transmission. What kind of price should I be looking at? What APR do you think I should be looking at as you didnt seem to like the 5.54% or just not through Nissan?
  • newaltinewalti Member Posts: 4
    ronni_e
    I wouldn't say that what the dealer offered was a good deal. Rebates on '05s just went up to $2500 in April. You should be able to get a price very close to invoice, and then subtract the rebate from there.

Just bought my 3.5SE last month for $140 below invoice, but had the Vehicle Purchase Program from Nissan. You should be able to get very close, but be prepared to walk out and talk to other dealers. I was also able to get 4.39% financing from Nissan by already having financing set up and negotiating. Just be careful of added fees that they try to tack on and scam you.

Good luck
    I live in Missouri and all the dealers ive spoken to here have said the only rebate is the $2000 one. Perhaps because im interested in the college grad program? I dont start my new job after college until June 1st so the deferred payment would be nice so that I dont have to dig into my savings. Maybe if I wasnt looking at that route they might have a different offer??

I am talking to 4 different dealers and 3 have a car im interested in. How can I find out what the invoice price is?
    I think he came to the $2000 rebate being $1500 for the Altimas + $500 for the college grad.

I cant seem to find anywhere online that says the April rebates are $2500? Can you show me this somewhere? If thats the case I can probably get that rebate plus the college grad rebate.

For the car with options I mentioned what APR and Cost do you think I should shoot for?
    Actually...I just re-checked the incentive on '05 Altima's, and they are back to $1500 on Nissan's web site. Might have been a typo that was caught over the past day, or next months incentive program. Sounds like a 2K rebate is good for now. Build your car on this website in the new vehicles section. The end result will show you MSRP, Invoice cost, and any incentives on the product. Print it out and take it with you to the dealer if you want. '06 models should be coming out soon, so go for invoice cost.

As far as financing, check out e-loan and capitalone.com for loans. You'll get a good rate, and have a bargaining chip with the dealers. Just remember that a dealership is going to try to get as much money as they can. It would look like a deal in vehicle cost, but then they'll try to make their money back in financing, warranty packages, and services.
    The APR depends upon how many years you plan on financing. You should be able to get below 5% on a new car at 60months.

You should be able to pick up the car for around $22400- that should include the added spoiler and install. Go in with a lower number, and work your way up. Walk out if you need to. They're still making $600-$1000 for the sale at that price.