Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Owners Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Ford
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Expedition!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• lgbstewlgbstew Member Posts: 1
    Ok I'll start it off. My wife and I just picked up our brand new 2002 Ford Expedition, on 11/09. My wife was the main reason we ended up with the Expedition as we were the owners of a 1999 Volvo V70 station wagon whose lease was ending at the end of November. She did not want another station wagon or Minivan and so we fell into the classic SUV trap.

We had been looking initially at the Toyota Sequoia but after looking and comparing we just couldn't pass up the 0.0 Ford financing and the incredible deal we were able to get on the Expedition.

After driving the Expedition for a month now I am very happy with our decision. Here's what we ended up getting:

2002 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x2
    5.4L Engine, 2.55 ltd. slip diff., Premier Package, Arizona Beige with 2nd. row captain's chairs, Entertainment System, CD changer.

It's really a very fun vehicle to drive and since we have two small children the entertainment system is great.

Overall very pleased with our new Expedition and look forward to taking some long trips with it.
  • bornzobornzo Member Posts: 19
    My name is Mike and I am the proud owner of a 2001 XLT 4x4, 4.6L, cd changer, moonroof, silver metallic, limited slip, comfort group and sport pkg. I have owned this beauty since March 2001. I did extensive research before I purchased and nothing comes close to the Expy. Also, I am glad we now have our own club.
  • rmeffrmeff Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 1998 Expy EB with the 5.4. Is there anything I need to pay close attention to?
  • pwaspwas Member Posts: 34
    Question to mike, We have identical expeditions i had leather installed in my expy. I don't have the limited slip diff. Whats the good and bad points about having it or not ? In your research What helped you in making a discision on buying the XLT with the sport pk and the 4.6 engine rather than just buying an Eddie Bauer ?
  • bornzobornzo Member Posts: 19
    Hey pwas, the answer to your limited question is that the system transfers engine torque to the wheel that has the best traction usually before slippage occurs. I wouldn't by a 4x4 without it. As buying the xlt, I didn't want the leather or the running boards that were offered on the EB. I perfer cloth and the step bars look better. I also did't need the additional power of the 5.4L. The 4.6L has all the power I need.
  • shand32783shand32783 Member Posts: 76
    Hi, I am the proud owner of a fully loaded 2001 EB Expy. Estate green in color. I put on a new Yakima rack and Packasport system with 2 bike carriers, and a Brush guard with 2 6in PIAA fog lights. I would post a pic of my beauty =) if only I knew how. Questions that I would like help from if someone knows are these.

1. Is my Expy already wired for electronic brakes and how would I know?
    2. I am looking into different Air intakes and gas saving measures. Has anyone had a KN air filter added? Did it help or not?
    3. Also has anyone heard of that Tornado fuel thingy? Does it really help w/ gas and horses?
    4.Anyone added a aftermarket DVD system and where did you put it? I have a Moonroof and am wondering where it would go? The screen that is.

I love my Expy and wouldnt trade it for anything at this point. I have pics if youwant to see it. I hope that you all enjoy yours also and if you have any questions that I can help with about aftermarket Exterior products I would love too.

Thanks,
    Shane
  • rpjazzerrpjazzer Member Posts: 3
    Just like to say hello to everyone as a new member of the club.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Hello. I've been lurking here for a couple of years. I started on the boards when I bought an Expedition in late '99. I have owned 17 cars in various states of repair in the last 20 years. In the 4wd category which is probably the most interesting here I have had an '89 K5 Jimmy, a '90 Jeep Wrangler, a '95 full size Bronco, a '96 Explorer, a '99 EB Expedition, an '01 Pathfinder SE, and as a volunteer fire chief I have the use of a '92 full size Bronco. After getting my first 4wd I decided that I would never not have one. Until recently when we sold the Jeep, we had 4 in the driveway. We live in south west CT, which means sometimes we have lots of snow, and we always have lots of ice and slush. I drive around 30k miles per year in the Expedition mostly, my wife around 10k in the Pathfinder.
  • jptjpt Member Posts: 7
    ...another lurker appears. We bought a 2002 XLT at the end of November. As luck would have it, we were involved in a hit-and-run two days after we bought the Expedition. After a pretty good whack, we got out to see the damage. We had a very, very small dent in the bumper. The other driver left parts on the ground. Fortunately, eyewitnesses got the tag and all is well. It is nice to have a very sturdy vehicle!
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    I own a 1997 Ford Expedition XLT. Black with every option except the sunroof. I have the cd changer, leather, etc. It has tan interior. I have put on a chrome grille, blackouts, a new muffler,etc. I have put on 94K miles and it still runs like new. It has the 4.6 V8 engine.

Also own a 1998 F150 XL Flareside. Also black. It has the 4.2 V6 which is not as powerful. Minor mods so far as I have not had the truck for a long time. It so far has 37K miles. Hope to keep this one for a while.
  • bodymanbodyman Member Posts: 23
    For the past year, I have looked over this site as I considered buying an Expedition. Well I finally did it. Last week my wife and I bought a 2002 Eddie Bauer 2WD. It has the 4.6, and about every option except for heated seats. Today I dropped it off at the dealer (with 600 miles) because I get a large puff of blue smoke on cold start up in the mornings. I start hundreds of cars a year in my work, and I can't believe this is "normal". Anyone else see the same problem, and if so, has it been fixed? Thanks, everyone.
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    seems like it might be the oil burning. But come on at 600 miles. Something is definately wrong. Nice choice though. EB has lots of options to play with. Did you get the stereo with the Subwoofer in the back? I wish I had that.
  • jetcam2jetcam2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I am a new owner of a 2002 XLT 4x4 with the 4.6, sport appearance group, conv. pack, 6 cd changer,limited slip, leather, trailer package. It is white with grey int. I couldnt pass it up for 100.00 under invoice and 0% finance. So far my wife and I are in love with it.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Should come with the Subaru-Isuzu owners crew to a light off-road trip to the Pine Barrens of NJ. Check this thread out:

http://i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=543bce2b2c716f667e19b432b656d056&threadid=130770

-mike

'00 Trooper

'88 XT6

'91 XT6

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    2003 Ford Expedition

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • rlee5rlee5 Member Posts: 2
    very cool technical briefing on 03 Expy, best if you have broadband.

http://webinar.wieck.com/FORD/03EXPEDITION/INDEX.HTML

• stephjoestephjoe Member Posts: 3
    MY HUSBAND JOE AND I BOUGHT THE 2003 EB EXPEDITION ON 10/29/02. I LOVE IT AND IT HAS ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES. WE HAVE HAD SOME MINOR PROBLEMS. I LOVE THE WAY IT LOOKS, FEELS, RIDES AND TOWS OUR BOAT. IT'S A GREAT CAR. HOPE IT SAYS THAT WAY.

STEPH
  • todd1965todd1965 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 2wd on windy days my roof makes noises that sounds like wind pressing down on it. I had a bug deflector on my hood and one of my friend told me take it off and that my solve this problem. If any has any suggestion, please let me know.
  • londont513londont513 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 03 XLT premium Expo, with Silver ext./int. and I love it. It's definitely an improvement over the 2000 EB that I owned and definitely has more room than the tahoe.
  • squiddersquidder Member Posts: 6
    I purchased an 03 Expy EB with all the bells and whistles in May 03. It is a B seies and has been nothing but a headache.This vehicle has a multitude of problems steering,drive ,mirrors etc. It has spent more time in servce than in my driveway. I have come to the realization that I am now the owner of the worlds largest and most expensive lemon. I contacted a LL attorney this past week. What I found out was rather disturbing, I was the 8th 03 Expy owner to contact this firm this week. The majority of the calls were from owners of A & B revisions.This was just one firm of many, I think Ford has a serious problem. So when your service consultant tells you it's supposed to be like that dont believe it. If you are that gullible, contact me I am selling a bridge . If I wanted lemons I could have gone to the supermarket and bought them 6 for a dollar.
  • tbooth2tbooth2 Member Posts: 33
    I too have a B Revision. After numerous repair attempts for the vibration & wheel shimmy, the mfg has informed the dealer not to initiate any more repairs per this issue, that the vibration is "normal" and doesn't affect safety, usage or value. What a bunch of bull! They'll say anything to make you go away. Even the Continental Tire company (the tires that Ford's putting on the Expeditions) says that "vibration is an indication your vehicle has a problem that needs attention and continued vibration causes excessive wear and tear on tires and the suspension itself". Doesn't affect safety, usage or value huh?
  • squiddersquidder Member Posts: 6
    Just go to any Search Engine and type in Lemon Law.Just find a firm practicing in your home state. As far as I know there is no fee, all fees incurred are payed by the mfg. In the event you dont reach a settlement with Ford they worked pro bono.You have nothing to lose and all to gain. There is more than meets the eye with this vehicle. It has gone beyond being a nuisance it has now become a safety issue.Whether it be the loss of steering or the vulnerability of waiting on the side of the road for assistance. There are many safety concerns with this vehicle and Ford should be held accountable
    Are you speaking from experience?

PS - as I speak, I'm driving a loaner from the dealer as they are now installing a steering gear assy. Dealer says this is the last repair they can initiate under warranty. The mfg will not consider changing out tires under warranty although it's more cost effective than anything else they've tried (I guess they don't want to get involved in yet another tire controversy?). Like I said, they admit there's a vibration, but they consider it non-excessive (normal). You're damn right it's a safety issue! Thanks for the info, that's the next step because it appears I'm out of options.
    Update: Just received vehicle back to have the dealer replace the steering gear. Vehicle vibrates as much as ever. The steering is stiff and takes more effort to turn. The vibration comes up through the pedal and into the steering wheel along with that famous shimmy. So folks, maybe steering gear replacement is the answer for you - was definitely not the answer for me. Any suggestions out there? I want off this roller coaster ride in the worst way.
  • sstaylorsstaylor Member Posts: 35
    I am on my third expy EB, a 2004 with climate seats, power 3rd row, and rear seat DVD. Just picked it up on Friday. My previous ones were a '98 and an '01. I have been fairly lucky, with my only major problem being transmission 2nd gear failure on the '01 (TSB #01-13-5). Ford took a little coaxing on this, but I was able to get the problem resolved with help from the factory, and assistance on the new vehicle (tip: letters to Ford executives helped me greatly. If I received an answer I didn't like, I just moved up the chain.).

I like the new model, and I hope the '04s are a good cut of the product.
  • johnny2003johnny2003 Member Posts: 24
    Purchased our new 04 EB about a month ago after months and months of research. Overall we are pleased with our purchase but the brake dust drives me crazy! Any suggestions?
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    You can change the pads to one of the formualtions designed for low dusting, you can wait for Ford to offer the replacement pads they have been working on for two years, or you can get a set of brake dust guards (Kleen Wheels). I went with the KW and have been very happy. Everyone you tell about them will say you are asking for warped rotors but ask them if they actually have any first hand knowlwedge of anyone with the problem and you will see it is all just arm chair philosophers. They are $80 for four. This is the second Expy I've had them on.
  • dirk1dirk1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition is having the following problems: continues trying to start while running, won't start, radio comes on by itself, a/c blower comes on when vehicle is off, wipers won't work at times, tries to start itself when keys are removed. An OBD test shows no codes or pending codes. Please HELP!!
  • expo2003expo2003 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my '03 eddie bauer expedition for 2yrs and my list of problems are growing. At six months the passenger side driving light's internal housing overheated and a piece melted off. Seems to be a common problem because the service rep had just replaced one the day before. At the 1.5 yr mark things really went south. The passenger side mirror stopped returning to the set position after driving in reverse, due to a faulty memory module. The driver side seat motor began to make a noise loud enough that it could be heard six feet from the car when the doors were unlocked. This along with the clicking noise of the faulty passenger mirror turned heads in the parking lot. Soon after, the reverse sensor began giving off false alarms and became totally useless. To Ford's credit all these items were fixed under the warranty, but the experience reminds me of the constant visits to the shop caused by my old clunker. Hopefully they got it right with year two of the new model.
  • justdrivingjustdriving Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everybody,

I am the owner of an 03 Expedition XLT that has most of the bells and whistles. 4x4, larger engine, autotrack, upgraded sound system, sun roof, 70/30 3rd row seats, etc. I am really impressed with the way that it handles but a little disappointed in the maintenance problems. I was one of the first owners of an 03 and it was our primary vehicle for about six months and now is my wife’s vehicle for driving around the suburbs of the Washington Metro Area. She has previously had a few fender benders and one major accident and I wanted her and the family to have a little more protection. We also have a large family and needed the extra room and I didn’t want another minivan.

We have over 36K miles on the vehicle. It is not holding up well and I will probably sell it sometime in 05. Lots of small and large problems as compared to my Toyota.

john
  • soldbysislersoldbysisler Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone. I just bought, 800 miles and counting, a loaded Expy and Love it! No air suspension though. I have friends that are service manager and mechanic at a Ford dealership. So, I got the inside scoop on maintenance issues and when to buy before I bought. I'm a Realtor in the Maryland/DC metro area. I use the truck to carry clients around and haul my 18 month old - wife and dogs around.

Todd
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ... I just bought an EXPI EB 2005..magnificent in all respect and a good deal when compared what the others offer at a much nore price...sometimes as much as 5-10k more...I hope all continue to be es expected...
  • geno001geno001 Member Posts: 6
    Bought 2/14/04, 22,500 miles currently and counting, change oil/ filters and rotate tires. Best vehicle we ever owned. Every option available. 3 hour drive every weekend to the beach and back, drives on the beach all weekend. We love it. Never a problem. Has all but air ride, nav radio and stability. Wanted limited slip rear, can't have that with stability system. Its all good!!
  • lcanulcanu Member Posts: 1
    I currently have a 04 EB Expedition.......major problems and I am about to take legal action. At 14K brought in for shaking of the wheel and front end. They attempted many things with no luck and then replaced the Torque Converter. This is unheard of in a vehicle with low mileage. Then at 22K the car was still doing the same thing and now the front end was acting strange as well as the brakes. Brought it back in and this time they replace Rack and Pinion, Ring and Pinion, both front brakes, two rotors and the 8th coil....... in addition because the seat heater was not working they replace heater control module.......... the car still shakes when sitting still, drives like crap and now make rear end noises and does not always start. I am dealing with the Ford Rep and if they do not buy me out within the next two weeks I am going to file with the Dispute Settlement Board. Anyone out there have anything to add?
  • fordman6fordman6 Member Posts: 1
    The brake dust is normal on wheels that are open. Notice the dust on closed wheels? It isnt a bad thing it is just normal, thus the ability to observe the brake pad wear through the wheels. It has to go somewhere.
  • 00eddiebauer00eddiebauer Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I recently purchased a 2000 EB expy & am fully enjoying all it has to offer. It had the proverbial "one owner" that went back & forth to the grocery store & on an annual vacation in the spring. It has 52,000 miles on it & purrs like a kitten.

The unfortunate thing is there was no user manual available (struck me as funny as well). I'm curious about the factory alarm & how it works. I've never owned a Ford & am looking for insight.

Thanks in advance for any/all information shared!
  • molosmolos Member Posts: 1
    It's not the tires. I have new tires and it still shimeys
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    I have a 2000 XLT, also bought used/one owner, and it has been very reliable, now has 44K mi. I did get a manual but don't know of anything unusual about the alarm function: key fob, inside lock buttons, or door kepad all activate the alarm; key fob/keypad deactivate. We did have to pay a dealer to get the kepad code for us (cost about $30) so we could custom-program our own special number.
  • goodfellas954goodfellas954 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer the subwoofer in the rear has completely stopped working. I unplugged the amp and the sub and plugged them back in and still nothing. Does anyone know anything about it? I checked all the fuses and if it were a fuse I would lose other accessories. There is a relay exclusively for "audio" but I do not know if it is for the sub. Any ideas????
  • coolnana5coolnana5 Member Posts: 1
    hi there, I am in the market for a new or newer car. I have 5 grandchildren and we do lots of camping, boating etc. I am looking at an excursion. I like the cargo room and 3rd seat. I'm kind of torn between an expedition, excursion, or suburban. Any suggestions? I pull a small pop-up camper, but want to buy a larger camper. so i need a good tow capacity. jackie
  • bc4x4erbc4x4er Member Posts: 1
    Hello All!! My name is Chance and I live in the Canadian rockies in
    beautiful British Columbia. I have a 2000 ford expedition and am enjoying
    it as hard as I can. I am part of a 4x4 club called funinbc. I am
    known as the crazy American who takes his expedition anywhere. Besides
    big tires, tougher suspension/shocks, it is stock. I have had it up rock
    walls, through the tiniest goat trails(over acutally), through rivers of mud....you name
    it. Greatest vehicle I have ever owned. Have not had to replace anything
    on it...well just a fender, a stump jumped out one day. Anyway, thanks for reading and hope to add more great stories down the road. If there is an area to post pictures, I will...
    Bye for now!!
  • upstairswomanupstairswoman Member Posts: 1
    I LOVE MY FORD EXPEDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOWEVER...today...when leaving work....my dependable chariot started and died in the same instance!!!
    Happened OVER and OVER again!!! :-(

She's setting on our parkinglot...where...hmmm...how to best term this????????
    Bar flies swarm!!!!!!!

Do any of you who share my love have any healing powers???
    I know she's lonely! :-)

XO
    U.B. Woman
  • millerfordmillerford Member Posts: 10
    ">I'm the 3rd owner of a 1998 Expo. XLT, limited slip, tan cloth, 6-disk CD, 4.6 Triton, and 81,000 miles and still running strong. The first owner was a lease in Ill., and then sent to auction and purchased and driven for 3 years in Lafayette were I purchased it from a Pontiac dealership. This Expo. is amazing. I have been in love with the Expedition since it first came out in 1997, but was too young to own one until this year. So, respectively I did the right thing went out and bought one. When I purchased it, it only had 78,000 miles and i have only had it a few months a few trips to Indy about every week will put some miles on there. But, all I can say is that I am in love with the Expedition and already have my next one picked out a 2003 black, XLT Sport with 36,000 and about every option it is owned by a friend and I told her that when she wants to trade in consolte me first.
  • hdxlh1100hdxlh1100 Member Posts: 1
    sometimes the ford keys get stuck too far forward...cutting off power to all you vehicles options except the starter...happened to me before...
  • jddaerojddaero Member Posts: 3
    It happened on my '94 Explorer 2 or 3 times. Had to replace the ignition switch @ 130,000 miles.

Good Luck!

Joe
  • capri1003capri1003 Member Posts: 1
    I drive on the highway (no city miles with my car)---how many miles can I expect to get? I'm hoping at least 150,000---is this too optistimic/unrealistic? Right now I have 112,000 on it and I'm having transmission problems so I'm wondering if it is worth fixing.

Thanks.
  • khris1khris1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2004 Ford Expedition 4x4. I also got the famous shimmy and bind in the front end. When it acts up, the steering and brakes are unresponsive. Ford will not buy back because I did not buy new. I bought used with plenty of warranty left. They have replaced hubs, relays(?) and numerous other things. I even had to replace the tires which were not worn. Do not bother, the car still has the same problem. I am also considering taking legal action. It is shame Ford would deny the issue even though there are TSB's on it . I guess they would rather wait until I have an accident than fix it now. Any ideas on problem would be appreciated.
  • wharlowwharlow Member Posts: 1
    I am in the middle of a complete interior removal and customization of my 3rd '98 Eddie Bauer Expedition. I will be posting pics and descriptions of all the changes later. I know you all will be impressed. Heck, I think FunkMaster Flex might even use some of my ideas on his next project. That being said, I bought my 1st '98 new and put 387000ish miles on her, and believe me, she wasn't babied. The 1st week I had her crossing a river. I was sold. You won't catch me driving anything else.
  • twinbladesztwinbladesz Member Posts: 104
    I have an 03 XLT 5.4L that I bought used in April with 37k miles on it. So far I have put almost 10k miles on it and have no mechanical issues with it. It looked like new and has been running very good. The only issues I have is with the alarm triggering for some reason and the cd changer not playing all of my cds properly but thats not a really big issue. I plan on changing the radio for an aftermarket one, the same with the alarm. So far I am happy with my 2nd Ford SUV the first being a 98 Explorer.
This discussion has been closed.