Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• ratterratter Member Posts: 2
    Haven't tried it yet, but plan on ordering soon:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrd03aux100.html
  • jt25jt25 Member Posts: 1
    I need a good part # for front brake pads, I'm getting a service done tomorrow and want new brake pads without the brake dust. please help
  • bmcgeebmcgee Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know who makes the navigation system for the 2005 Expeditions? Can I buy the same system in the aftermarket? Does it need special wiring or can the existing electrical work? If anyone can help that would be helpful.
  • basshymanbasshyman Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if this would really cut down on the dust on the back? I can wash it and the next day it is filthy. This is what the Ford Accessory website says:

Part Description: For a sporty appearance and to help keep the rear glass clean. Mounts to the liftgate of the vehicle and is available in select exterior colors or primed (ready to paint). Dealer installation recommended.

Is it hard to install?

Thanks
  • kcjockcjoc Member Posts: 2
    just joined the forum and saw your message. One week after buying my 2004 EB, I was in a local stereo store replacing the weak, tinny sub. The store did a great job, with a new enclosure, much better speaker and factory grill so the look of the cabin was kept. I am much happier with the improved sound.
  • kka2kka2 Member Posts: 1
    i have an 01 eb expedition, how do you hear the tv thru the speakers?
  • ratterratter Member Posts: 2
    Received the unit today and installed it (link in a previous post a page or two back). Very simple and it works GREAT in my '05 EB Expy with in-dash changer (I don't have the dvd or navigation, so I'm not sure how that affects things.)

Procedure:

1. Disconnect positive battery terminal

2. Remove two screws above speedo/tacho.

3. Pull off dash until all the clips are disengaged (mine came off very nicely...no sweaty moments.)

4. When you have enough clearance, unplug all the plugs going into the dash piece that you're removing (headlight control, power pedals, trip computer, etc.)

5. Once everything is unplugged you can pull the dash all the way out, just be careful not to scratch anything.

6. Remove two screws at the bottom of the radio unit and pull it out.

7. Unplug the cables from the back of the unit and put the aux input cables in their place, then plug the original cables into the aux input harness.

8. Find a place for the little plastic box (converter?) and string the audio cable (sold separately) through where you want it to come out. (edit: I reconnected the battery at this point to test.

9. Gently stuff everything back in, plug it all up and close it all up, reconnect the battery and you are done!!

Hit the "aux" button until the radio shows "dvd/cd aux" and the aux. input is active. Sounds great!! Very clean and easy install and relatively inexpensive.
  • tbadtbad Member Posts: 2
    I bought a automatic temp control unit for my xlt that i want to install. This unit is out of an eddie bauer. My xlt has manual temperature adjustments. Before I take my dashboard apart and order a new face plate for my dashboard to accomodate this ATC unit I would like to know if anyone knows whether Ford has the plugs already in place (i.e. if the wiring is already there for plug and play on this)? Tbad
  • snakemansnakeman Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 xlt expedition that has 16 inch rims and i bought some eddie bauer chrome rims that r 17 inch what size tires should i use im sure they would be differant than a 4 wheel drive expedition.thanks
  • ordonez1307ordonez1307 Member Posts: 1
    What kind of mufflers do you guys run on your Expeditions. I want a loud, deep tone, for a 2003 XLT Thanks in Advance.
  • sjaffesjaffe Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 EB expedition. The factory installed flip down screen in blown. It also came with the HUGE and stupid VHS system located in the front center console, but i took it out. Does anyone know if i can replace the flip down screen with one that has a built in DVD? Or if not, will the Audiovox VOH701 fit? It looks the same on the website, but there are no dimensions. Any thoughts? The problem is that the headliner is molded, so it makes it hard to instal something. It's VERY size specific. Anyone know???
  • angel_of_dangel_of_d Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for heavy mods. for my '03 ExPy (5.4-2wd) & i didn't get any thing interesting, does anyone know where can i get them 'coz im really confused?? :confuse:
  • clyeliezerclyeliezer Member Posts: 1
    ">my sunroof got stuck in the open position and i dont know what could be wrong. any ideas? also i realllllly need a 3rd row seat and was wondering if anyone knew where i could get one and around how much it would cost
  • waltcomwaltcom Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to the forums and I have an Expy 04 EB and experiencing the same problem, I'm actullay thinking about adding tweeters like in the pilars behind the third seat.
    Someone got any ideas, and what did you do to improve the sound?
  • waltcomwaltcom Member Posts: 2
    The sub-woofer does not sound good to me. It's stock on the '04 Expy EB -- sitting in the 2nd and 3rd rows is pretty annoying. Am interested in having a mid-range speaker in place of the sub. To me, it will be much more tolerable back there for passengers. Any ideas

Thanks in advance.
  • jh1924jh1924 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 98 expedition with the am/fm casette, that has the controls for the cd player. The changer has never been installed, at least anywhere that I can find holes for it. The dealer (a Ford dealer) quoted me $449. to install one. They are avaiable on ebay from $50-$150, so guess where I will by mine. My question is, is the wiring harness existant (perhaps under the console), and where do these typically install? I am told inside the HUGE console. And if you guys recommend any specific place for harnesses, etc. Thanks. Glad to be in a Ford again, never another GM as long as I am alive........
  • momo77momo77 Member Posts: 1
    ihave a 2003 xlt I purchased a navigation system for a 2005 does anyone know either where i can buy the plug harness to convert or who makes system so maybe i can get a diagram?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    go to tirerack.com and put in '02 EB expedition. it should return the original tire size to you. if that does not work for you, post back here. it should be pretty easy.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • eeguzmaneeguzman Member Posts: 2
    i have a 98' Ford Expedition eddie bauer, and I don't know how the alarm works. I dont know if it has an alarm, but it has the remote for it.
  • eeguzmaneeguzman Member Posts: 2
    in between the two front seats i think? there's some sort of box, that is closed. at the front of that "hand rest" there's a handle to open it up. Thats where I have my CD changer in. I have the same truck. An Eddie Bauer. That's all I could tell you, thats all I know. Good Luck.
  • himgud04himgud04 Member Posts: 1
    i dont have and 98 but i think if you have the remote for it. you shud press and hold the panic but until the alarm sounds. sometime it looks like a horn on the remote or the red button. press the unlock button to turn it off. i think thats how it work if i am not mistaken. god bless
  • luvinitluvinit Member Posts: 2
    I've heard that Explorers & F-series P-ups can be altered from A4wd to 2wd by 'cutting' an orange wire that runs under the drivers floor mat/carpet. If that's the case, can the same be done to a '99 expedition, effectivly accomplishing what newer models come standard with? Is the 'wire' in the same location? Are there computer/ electronic ramifications in doing so?
  • wponewpone Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know the easiest way to direct wire a radar detector? I would like to wire it into the center console if possible and run the power wire around the dash and up to the rear view mirror area. Any thoughts? How can I safely explore under center console? Thanks
  • juiceboxjuicebox Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to install an automatic starter in my 2005 Ex. Any idea on type, price, make, installation? Thank you, Mike
  • laurel2klaurel2k Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for an AUX adapter so I can listen to my iPod through the factory speakers. I've found a few but have a quick question. Some of the adapters mention Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE). Is this the factory installed DVD player or the rear radio/cd controller located on the back of the center console? I have the standard AM/FM/Single CD with AUX button in my '06 Expy XLT Sport.

Also, anyone out there have any inputs/likes/dislikes on any AUX adapters? Best one out there? One to stay away from?

Jorge
  • rogers8rogers8 Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2006 Eddy Bauer Expedition and I want to upgrade my 17 inch rims to 20s. Trying to get the real scoop/pros and cons. I have heard that 20s heat up brake rotors, cause speedometer and odometer to be off, and you lose towing capacity. I see things on almost every expedition in town, can it really be that bad? I am making a big mistake? Please advise.
  • lilrodawg2lilrodawg2 Member Posts: 1
    i was wondering if anyone Knew the answer to this, actually quite curious myself "I've heard that Explorers & F-series P-ups can be altered from A4wd to 2wd by 'cutting' an orange wire that runs under the drivers floor mat/carpet. If that's the case, can the same be done to a '99 expedition, effectivly accomplishing what newer models come standard with? Is the 'wire' in the same location? Are there computer/ electronic ramifications in doing so?" ;)
  • jonnqjonnq Member Posts: 1
    I'm curious whether you noticed a change in horsepower and mileage, also how it sounds and what brand you went with and whether it was a "Cat back dual" system you purchased? I'm thinking about doing the same thing.
    Thanks!
  • goldenpawgoldenpaw Member Posts: 1
    HI, has anyone ever taken off ( replaced) the dahboard front plastic cover? 2003 and up. I have a 2005 and I'm having the cover factory woodgrained ( dipped) and need to remove and replace this cover. Body shop stated they would do it, but their book states it is a 6.5 hour job?? Its just the front plastic overlay???

Thanks
  • wmartinez10wmartinez10 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever receive a reply to this? I just purchased a 2005 Expedition with the rear DVD, and would like to purchase the navigation system as well.
  • dswofforddswofford Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a cold air intake through ebay (big mistake) the instructions are very vague and tech support is non existent. there are a series of wires going to the air filter housing, but on the new cold air intake there is no hook up for these wires. the guy from "tech support" told me to leave them unplugged. Is this right? He couldn't tell me what they were for and I his lack of knowledge has raised some red flags. Is it o.k. to leave these wires loose? Please help! Thanks!
  • shadowtrakershadowtraker Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my door lock; Everything seems to work fine except when exiting the truck, the door lock does not unlock, front passenger door does unlock on exit, but the drivers door doesn't. I am disabled, and am grateful that I have the door code memorized, or I may have been in trouble had I left my keys inside. I assume it has something disconnected it unlocks with the key, code and the unlock button, just doesn't work as expected when I exit the vehicle.

Also, I was wondering if I could install the temp/compass unit that goes near the rear view mirror if I can purchase one, are they all pre-wired?
  • shm64shm64 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a new '06 EB Expedition 6 disc CD stereo system with SAT button/no nav. I thought I was good to go for listening to Sirius radio except the monthly fee. Didn't know I would still have to buy a tuner etc. Dealer wanted $550 and I thought that was way too much! Was I right? Where can I get what I need installed cheaper? I am a newbie to satellite radio so please be specific with any help (what I need and approx.cost). THANKS!
  • johnnybecooljohnnybecool Member Posts: 1
    Please Help my w/ my DVD installation !!!!!!!!!!I have a 2003 Expedition w/ the sunroof and rear ceiling AC. I bought the vehicle with a rear ceiling DVD taken out. So, I purchased a factory DVD and found that the one prior was an aftermarket rigged up to plywood above the headliner. Since the factory model is heavier, it won't hold up to plywood. Besides, the rough dirt road that I live on will cause it to fall out. I need to know how to install this. I read about a support bar but no direction to find one. Also I need to know what wire harness is needed or is there a direct bolt in behind the headliner. I really would appreciate some insight since the dealers won't talk unless you have cash. Thanks for your time.
  • bigmike_878bigmike_878 Member Posts: 1
    A single 40 series Flowmaster with dual turndowns has had my truck turning heads when I drive by. I plan on cutting my cats before to long, even though my check engine light my stay on until I get some O2 sensor simulators.
  • kenk3kenk3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Eddie Bauer Exp w/Nav Radio, 6-disc changer and rear DVD entertainment system. Does anyone know of an adaptor that wires into the factory radio for my Ipod Nano? Id be willing to get rid of the cd changer to do it so is there an adptor that can wire directly in to that slot?
  • hemanhimhemanhim Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2002 Expedition with the VCP option. VCP works fine, but I'd like to replace with a DVD without a lot of hassle. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd like to be able to just pull out the VCP, stick in the DVD (located in center floor console) and plug in the DVD to the existing wires. Any recommendations?
  • hemanhimhemanhim Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find the answer to your question? I am interested in this also.
  • radairradair Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased an '06 Expedition without the fog lamps. I was wondering if there is anything else I need to do besides buy the fog lights to have them work. The expedition has the wiring harness already and all the fuses/relays to operate the lights, but they still don't work. What could be the problem?
  • radairradair Member Posts: 2
    Would anyone happen to know what the part number is for the 05-06 Expedition 6 disc in-dash cd changer? Thanks, Ron
  • archer2archer2 Member Posts: 4
    I saw this question posted from a couple of years ago but without an answer - any help is appreciated

We have a 99 Expo with the 3rd seat which does not have head restraints. With the kids getting bigger and the vehicle still running fine, is there a way to fix this e.g.,

1. After market head restraints?
    2. Will a replacement 3rd row seat from a later year that did have the head restraints fit?
    3. Any other ideas??

Thanks
  • soldbykimberlysoldbykimberly Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Exp-limited in Jan. My brakes went out when I went to stop at a stop sign 8k mi. I didnt stop, cars had to swerve out of my way.I called my dealership, brought the truck in & they said it was the MAster Cyclinder. Now 3 weeks later w/ 10k miles on it the brakes went out again at a stop & almost smashed by a semi-truck! Now they cant find the problem but said I cant Have my truck back since its a safety issue. I said I dont want mine back & find me another of the same. WELL, they found an almost same but now they want me to pay the difference of a new 2006 vs my 7 mo old 2006. They want me to pay $9k!!!!Thats AFTER the so called 5k rebate. SO, beside my brakes out they are saying my truck is only worth about 28k after all the rebates & incentives. I paid 40K in Jan!!!! What is this crap???? Kimberly :mad:
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    Go the lemon law route . Maybe u will make out better. You should get a refund minus the mileage allowance. Good Luck.I have an 04 Expy EB. I think its a great truck when it
    doesn't have a lemonade problem . Mine is fine after 23k, with just a few minor issues that have been fixed
  • rhelmbrightrhelmbright Member Posts: 8
    I recently removed the cover and whole dash on my 98' Expy. Although they are different models, im sure they are somewhat similar in removal/installation. It is a pain in the "you know what"! I replaced my heater core, which requires pulling the whole dash. First, you have to start with the center console, then the foot trim on both driver and pass doors. You have to drop the steering column (but be very careful not to ruin/break the transmission shifter cord. After getting further into it, it is alot of work. Alot more then what is outlined in a manual. If you decide to go further into this, let me know. GOOD LUCK :confuse:
  • e91e91 Member Posts: 3
    Looking at getting a 2007 Expedition. Tried the EL today - in our driveway overnight. Nice vehicle but just too big for our purposes. Trading out for a std. Expedition tester tomorrow. If I pull the trigger it will be for a std. Expedition and we don't tow. I have been told the only purpose of this air suspension is if you tow. Please let me know your feelings. I am still going to go for the optional tow package as it will be good for resale and I like the idea of tranny cooling and the larger radiator.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The air suspension also lowers the truck when its parked for easier egress.

Mark.
  • rtincartinca Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know the instructions to remove the the Nav Radio from the dash of a 2005 Expedition? Any special tools needed?
  • candyinnccandyinnc Member Posts: 2
    Hi, All. Who has knowledge of performance chips for 2002 Expedition? I would like to know price, performance boost, gas mileage boost, etc.

Thanks in advance.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you're waiting for a reply here you may also want to check out Are Chip Upgrades Worth It?.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • draythompdraythomp Member Posts: 1
    I've got a problem that a lot of owners have with an actuator failure in the rear A/C. I know which one it is because I popped the top tray off and looked. However, I can't figure out how to remove the trim panel that covers it. I don't want to break the thing monkeying around.

Does anyone know how to remove this interior panel? It's right by the third seat on the passenger side.
This discussion has been closed.