Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hickorydhickoryd Member Posts: 57
    Saw it on the news. Got the letter. Does this recall affect all '00 Expys? They want me to bring it by to disconnect cruise, do without for a couple of months, then bring it back for the replacement part. How high is the risk?
    BTW a friend's '05 Caddy caught on fire 8 hours after he parked it in his attached garage. Fire investigators traced it to the car's electrical system.
  • fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    Hey, thanks.

Not related to Gorilla Glue? Ha!

I double checked the specs for my single stage oil lube 20 gallon,5hp electric motor, air compressor and found that 125 lbs was listed as maximum pressure, with 90 lbs apparently the typical working pressure. I used my Lowe's 400lb impact wrench recently to remove a 1 1/2" nut on a trailer ball using about 105lbs. No problem with that nut backing off, but the same wrench would not even begin to budge the Expedition lug nuts (Ford dealer installed) at the 120 max pressure the regulator setting would allow. Concerned that the studs might have been stretched so as to cause eventual failure. My brother's Chevy van with probably 5 lug 1/2" studs had this problem several years ago--rear wheel fell off in downtown Atlanta on the way to boat race in Florida. Local tire store guys had mounted the same tire earlier that day--went 200 miles before studs completely failed.

Will continue to monitor tire store and Ford dealer tire work after every service visit due to repeated problems with over and under tightened lug nuts and way too high and low air pressures.
  • suvdriver2suvdriver2 Member Posts: 1
    As a 2003 Expedition owner, we have experienced this problem first hand and at only 17,000 miles!!!!!.
    I can't believe how many messages there are for 2003 Expedition brake problems, i.e. brake dust, pad problems, squeaking, whining, stopping problems, etc - I've just reviewed. I must say this info was helpful in just negotiating with the dealer (threatening would be more apropos).
    I could write a book on our experience- we purchased our '03 Expedition (our 3rd Expedition, also owned '97 and an 00'models - just great SUV's) in Sept. 03, had it back to the dealer 2 months later for the excessive brake dust and squealing of the pads on the rotors. And have had the vehicle back in 3 other times, including the State Inspection, 6 months ago at 12,000 miles.
    We have gotten the run around from the dealer all along. They told us the brake dust is normal, the noise is normal and the pads just do this - and we did notice this on every other '03 Expedition's. The Dealer told us on the second visit in March 2004 that new pads were coming out and they would let us know when they’d be available On the 4th visit for the state inspection they did recommend changing the pads, but told us this was not a warranty item – even though the current pads passed inspection all around.
    Within the last week the screeching has gotten extremely bad. We took the vehicle in to the dealer yesterday for another look at the brakes and normal service ( oil change, rotate tires, etc - the 15,000 mile deal). The Service manager called yesterday and informed us our brakes are shot. We need new front rotors, pads for all four wheels ( because that's the way the service package is made up) and the rear rotors need turned??? At 17,000 miles of local driving mostly done by my wife???
    My wife and I were speechless. We fought with the Service Manager yesterday and again today, arguing that we had the vehicle in their shop on 4 separate occasions and they found nothing wrong. Then today we had a go around with and the dealer’s Customer Service Rep several times over the phone. After checking this and other web sties and threatening to call all the area TV stations and report this situation to the Business Affairs reporters the Dealership agreed to complete all the repairs for the brakes under warranty. I don’t mind paying for normal maintenance, but my other two Expeditions went 32,000 and 34,000 miles before needing brakes and all we had done was to have the pads replaced.

I would go back to the dealer and argue like we did – we took this up the chain of command from the SM to the SCR and then to the Ford Motor Company District Regional Manager, before we got any action.
    Normally, I prefer to handle situations like this with sugar and spice, you usually get bet customer service, but in this instance the salt and vinegar had to be dumped in the wound to get some action. We are very disappointed in this Ford dealership at this point in time – where we have purchased 3 SVU’s and 1 car and have had all our service done there. Good Luck.
    P.S. - I just want to say as a first time visitor and user of this site – THIS INFO WAS GREAT AND REALLY HELPFUL.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Good for you! As the old saying goes:
    "People can't walk all over you if you don't lie down"
  • turnercaseturnercase Member Posts: 1
    VERY SERIOUS...Don't hesitate one single minute before taking in your Expedition. My wife's 2000 EB Exp burned to the ground last night in our driveway. The fire started 2 hours after it had been driven. Thank God nobody was hurt or that the house didn't burn down. We received the recall letter last week and had not made an appointement to take it in because we didn't feel the tone of the letter was serious. It is obviously a very serious issue.
  • ford_ownerford_owner Member Posts: 23
    Has any other expedition owners out there had their engines rev up when ever you start them first time of the day? Mine when its cold , and without putting my foot on the gas pedal, just turning the key revs high for a few seconds then it idles down. I have had both the 5.4L and now currently the 4.6L. They both have done this?? anybody have any answers? It didnt seem to affect anything before, its just annoying and I just dont like engines reving up at a high idle for a sec when the engine first starts? Its Like a verooooommmmm for about 2 or 3 secs, then it starts idling down.This is without my foot on the Gas. any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
    My 2000 4.6 does the same thing once in a while, only revs up for about 2 seconds, then stabilizes and idles perfect. I think it's inherent to the Ford motors and doesn't seem to cause any problems. Although, as you said, the less revving at startup in the cold, the better.
  • soldbysislersoldbysisler Member Posts: 4
    Hi Everyone,

I just joined this group and just bought an 05 Expy EB and really love it. I'll tell you what I know about the the 03-05 Expys and variety of problems. Have friends that are a service manager and a mechanic at a Ford dealership. The service manager bought an 03 Expy. It had the "1st year of a new line of cars" blues. In short, the 03s have problems. The problems were mostly fixed by the end of the model year 03 and very early 04. Ford made changes to the design of many of the components that were causing problems as the model year progressed. This doesn't help any of you that own the 03 - but that's what I'm hearing. My service manager friend sold his 03 and bought an 05 to get rid of his problems. I'm told that the 04 and 05s are much more reliable.

Brake Dust - the 03 brake pads have been updated. The first time you replace the pads, the dust will go away. Ford (actually an aftermarket company that I saw at a Ford dealership) also sells a liner that sits behind the wheel and on top of the rotor to minimize the brake dust problem.

Vibration - Ford has replaced numerous sets of the cheap/junk Continental tires because of vibration problems. If you have an 03-04 with vibration, it could very well be the tires. If you are getting the runaround, try a different dealership. I know that Ford has been replacing these tires (in bulk) if they are causing problems. Everyone seems to say "buy the Michelins". I have Continentals on my 05. I'm almost dissapointed that these tires seem to be okay. I would have loved to get a set of Michelins for free. I hear the Michelins make the truck drive much better than it already does.

Hope this gives some of you the answers you needed even if the answer isn't the one you were hoping to hear.
  • sloparosloparo Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Ford Expedition had a "clank" in the front end as well. We took it into the dealer just before the warranty ran out and were told it was a loose shock. The noise never really went away and, upon returning to dealership, we were told that it was the ball joints and given a repair estimate for over $800.00. I believe that it was the ball joints all along and am hoping that we can have them repaired as part of the warranty based on that fact. Any additional input would be appreciated.
  • sloparosloparo Member Posts: 2
    I just joined the forum based on a problem that has developed in our 01 Expedition. When under warranty we were told by dealership that the noise in our front end came from a loose shock. The noise continued and, upon returning to dealer, we were told that it was due to the ball joints (over $800.00 repair). At this point the vehicle's warranty has expired. Any comments? suggestions? All would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Sloparo
  • foreberryforeberry Member Posts: 1
    We just recently had the same "window falling into the door when putting it down" problem with our 1998 Expedition. It's happened twice and so far, only in the Winter. It's out of warrantee so we've been reluctant to take it to Ford and pay their premiums. Local garage "glued" it back on frame first time. Said the motors are so powerful they pull the frame off the window when it gets cold and the glass part of the window sticks. Have you had any subsequent problems?
  • wkohlerwkohler Member Posts: 74
    I'm on my second 03. First was an early "A" build in 2002. Too many issues, so sold it and bought a "C" build. No problems to date with now over 60,000 miles. While my Continentals had no real problems, due to normal wear, I just got rid of them at 60,000 for a set of Michelins. I do notice a much quieter ride and the tires are not as intrusive as the Continentals. However, and again I reiterate, I had no real problems with the Continentals; no cupping, no vibration, etc. Also, I just spent $745 to take care of the brake dust issue. My brakes were getting a little thin and needed a brake job anyway. I'm sure money spent on wheel and tire cleaner will drop dramatically. I think we all need to keep something in perspective here. Out of the thousands of vehicles, Expeditions included, that Ford sells, we have just a handfull of folks taking advantage of these types of websites and using the websites to "vent" our problems and concerns. At times it looks like everyone that owns an Expedition has problems with tires, brakes, vibrations, noises and on and on. Realistically, I'm sure that's not the case at all.
  • dnolandnolan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Ford Escape with 25,000 miles on it. At the turn of 25,000 miles, the brake light came on. My brake shop told me that my pads were worn and the front rotors were warped and had to be replaced. They also told me that front rotors shouldn't need to be replaced this early! I believe that Ford Motor Co. has known this for years on most of their vehicles (just check the websites!)and continues to install inferior brake systems on their vehicles. I believe it's time for a class action suit to wake them up!
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    I agree. More lawsuits. Yeah, definitely more lawsuits.
    What RPM are you talking? Anywhere between 2 and 2500 is normal on cold startup in winter.
  • dchrisnerdchrisner Member Posts: 1
    2000 Expedition the engine dies when shifted into reverse or drive. All experts say it's the intake air control valve. This has been replaced and all ports cleaned. The solenoid in the transmission and the torque converter has been changed. The theory was that the converter was locking up. The problem still exists. If when shifting into drive or reverse, you hit the gas pedal at the same time, it will lurch and go and drive normal, until you stop and it immediately dies. Any brainstorms? We are perplexed in this area of the country. Thanks!
    I would take it to a Ford dealer and pay the diagnostic rates to have it truly diagnosed. The dealer tech has instruments to read all mechanical devices when it stalls: fuel trim, throttle opening, transmission movements, etc. A few hours diagnosis will be expensive, but cheaper than all the parts you've replaced.
  • rick6705rick6705 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new Expedition on February 15 and when I got on the interstate I noticed a vibration starting at about 65 up. It was not in the steering wheel but rather in the vehicle chassis. I live about 45 miles from the dealership so I called a few days later and told them. They made me an appt and I went in. They said the tires were out of balance and that solved the problem they sed. I started back home. Now mind you, the interestate is rather rough into you cross into the state I live in and the road gets ultra smooth. Well as luck would have it, the vehicle still vibrated, no difference. I called again and got yet another appointment. They service manager drove the vehicle with the mechanic and said he noticed nothing wrong. He said he felt road vibration then went on to say that when the vehicle was changed in 04 to a new body style, the previous owners of expeditions wanted more of a sport ride, tight, not an easy rider like apparently the 03's and previous was. Anyways, I am not satisfied with that answer. The steering wheel does not vibrate, its the chassis and or tires. Sounds like to me that I have a tire problem judging from a lot of postings on here. I have 1100 miles on this vibrating machine and have always bought fords. Oh if I only had it to do over again. any suggestions as to my problem?
  • dsaleedsalee Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem, and the dealer basically blew me off as "that is normal for 'cold' engines". However, after a couple of years my Expedition experienced a problem where the engine would not idle at all, and I had to feather the throttle just to keep it going. It turned out to be the solenoid, or other type of valve motor that operated the air intake butterfly. Upon replacing this unit, suddenly my vehicle does not over-rev at starting. In addition. on very cold mornings (I live near Canadian border) my engine would have a little internal 'knock' until warming up and driving for a few minutes. However, after replacing the air intake 'motor', viola, not only did the over-revving stop, but now the 'knock' is gone as well. If you opt to replace this unit, let us know your results. I love forums like this where people who 'care' about each other can really help, without going to the dealer where all you can be sure about is a quote for hundreds of dollars of repairs, that may or may not help!
  • dsaleedsalee Member Posts: 2
    I have also started experiencing a 'clunk - clunk' in the front end of my '98 Expedition. It occurs mainly when turning a corner and there are bumps in the road or driveway, causing a 'swaying' of the vehicle. Checking the tightness of the components under the vehicle shows no loose items. Shocks, tie rods, torsion bar, rack-in-pinion, A-arms, CV joint, any ideas??? I know the dealer will recommend hundreds, or thousands of dollars if I go directly to them!
  • henpecked26henpecked26 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone as you can tell by my user name i am controlled by my wife. In July we purchased a 1999 ED Expedition 4WD. Her grand am blew up well it was great to own an SUV until the problems started. First the vibration in the front end. After reading some messages i dont have a clue how to fix it. it could just about be anything. second i saw something about a recall. we bought it used and I'm not sure if they apply to me but there was something about a fire and i want to make sure it wont happen to my wife. is there anywhere i can get a list of the recalls made on my expedition? if anyone has any ideas how to fix the vibration i have at 60-65 mph let me know. thanks alot.
  • don14don14 Member Posts: 1
    helloguys..wife just called to say our 03 XLT suddenly shifted to low gear and won't go back to all wheel drive..she's on the nj turnpike, in a snowstorm w/ teh kids in the car..this has happened to me twice in the last year..i let it sit for awhile then it was fine..(ford tough my a--!)
  • orionbbsorionbbs Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2004 expedition.
    When I applied my brake the car started to accelerate I looked down to make sure I didn’t have my foot on the gas peddle. I had to press several time before it stopped. (very scary) I had it towed and took it to the dealer and they said they could not find anything wrong with brakes for accelerator.
    I know there was a case were this same experience happened with a BMW they apply the brakes and the car just accelerated a young person was killed. When the investigators check the car they said there wasn’t any problems with the brakes or accelerator. The lady was sentence to 2 years in jail she had a retrial and they had found other cases were the same thing happed to other drivers.
    Some time when I first start up my car there is a loud noise. It doesn’t always happen only some times.
    If anyone has heard or experience this problem please let me know .I afraid to drive the car.
  • ford13ford13 Member Posts: 1
    Hi i understand some of your problem try having some one check your throttle positioning switch when you put your truck in gear two things should happen the engine system will sense the load and advance the timing and adjust the throttle (its like the old trucks vacuum advance system ) or you have an intake vacuum leaks. this will not turn on your check engine light.
  • teldocteldoc Member Posts: 49
    Anyone have a website for good deals on an extended warranty for their EXPY???
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I have a couple of links at home but the place I bought mine from was fordwarrantycentral. It is a dealership in Iowa that sells warranties over the internet. There are a couple of other options that I can dig up when I get home but these guys were the cheapest for my 03 warranty that I bought in December.
  • clutch2clutch2 Member Posts: 1
    I've owned many Fords but this 2003 Expedition has had many problems...We now live at the dealer. Our biggest problem is the clutch pack/rear end. Every time we back out of the driveway there is a grinding/restricted feeling and while the vehicle is turning. The dealer has fixed it twice, but we just dropped it off for a third time, now you can feel the resriction all the time and the vehicle is getting 5-8miles to the gallon. I'm beginning to believe it can't be fixed. Any comments, the vehicle now has 30,000mi.Here is a list of the other problems that had to be fixed: The grey side plastic paneling faded after 10,000mi,Drivers side power window quit working 15,000mi, Front windshield weather stripping flew off three times,Back seat latch broke off, front end has been alined twice due to excessive tire wear,and a lovely humming noise when you play the radio.
  • davidc2davidc2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Expedition, AWD, and there is a shudder/vibration anytime I am accelerating from a stop and turn at the same time. I can feel it through the steering wheel but the passenger can feel it too. I just had the fluid changed in the differential and had the recommended anti-slip additive used..no help. The dealer wants to put in a new differential clutch-pack but isn't confident that will solve it. Feels like it's in the front end to me. Sound familiar to anyone?
  • pharmboy1pharmboy1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 03 Expedition XLT with 31K miles that has the brake dust problem that everyone else seems to have. I have noticed that the rotors get very hot after normal driving with very little brake use and they are badly worn. Have others noticed this? It seems as though much of the dust problem (at least on my vehicle) is likely due to the pressure not being released from the pads (master cylinder problem??) I took it in to a dealer this morning so will see if they will do anything. While at the dealer I noticed on my paperwork that Ford has issued a technical service bulletin (1125) that should be consulted before turning rotors. Does anyone know what this bulletin says or where I can locate it? Thanks.
    Ford has a new kit. It includes at least new pads, and I believe some other hardware that may also include calipers? At some dealers they will do the fronts at others they will only install the "kit" for all four brakes. Bad news is it ain't cheap, and if you're out of warranty you'll have to pay. I've heard as much as $800 parts and labor. Good news is it's a permanent fix.
    Is there an option to disable the AWD? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that system but if you can isolate it to the rear, then you've at least found the bad end of the truck.
  • tegatega Member Posts: 3
    Your tire had a steel belt blow out in it. That's what causes the vibration. I had the same issue on 2 of my Continental's on my 03 Expedition. The tires are under warranty. Make them replace it!
  • tegatega Member Posts: 3
    I have the exact same problem. I'm currently fighting with them right now to replace. I have a friend with an 03 Lincoln Navigator and they replaced hers for free but refuse to replace my rotors???
  • dvorakdvorak Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 1999 Expedition we purchased last year(3/04). It had 73,000 miles when we purchased it and noticed shortly after a rumble in the rear end.....thought it was a bad U joint. Took it to a local mechanic I could trust & he said that the Expeditions & F150's have a problem with their rear differentials..."the clutch will grip & not slip as it should" is what he said....we tried the additive; but the rumbling around corners has gotten worse......Ford Dealer...$690 to replace the rear clutch packs?????
  • ron43ron43 Member Posts: 1
    We had the exact same problem. First we had driveshaft balanced, and while they were at it they replaced all the non-lubricating U-joint with lubricating ones. But that still didn't stop it. Next we had the transmission flushed and they added a fluid that would quite the problem. That solved the vibration problem at 45-60mph, but now I seem to have a rear end clutch pack problem. When I start from a stop to turn a corner I get a grinding sound.

I don't know it they are related, but I think Ford should answer up for their messed up drive lines.
    Does anyone else know if these things are related?
    Ron
  • nybatterylownybatterylow Member Posts: 2
    Seriously. When it rains, my fan turns itself on and runs until the battery runs down. No key, nothing. I have tried unplugging fuses but honestly, I can't say that works. It only seems to happen when it's REALLY wet out and the car is driven a short distance. Oh, 99 Eddie Bauer. I have had it in to the Ford shop twice, but they say they need to "see it happen" (e.g. they don't believe me!). Anybody have advice?
  • robotguyrobotguy Member Posts: 1
    I can't give you a remedy, but I can offer my sympathy. I have a 97 F-150 with the same wiring. On rainy or even humid days the dome light and bed light relay just kicks on for no reason. Luckily, after about an hour it turns off. We have several late 90's fords in the family, and they are all plagued with electrical problems. My truck will sit parked and just periodically blink its parking lights. My dealer says they need to "see it happen" as well. Unfortunately, my truck can play that game too. It never happens when I'm close to a dealer.
  • cool_cdncool_cdn Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    I have a 1999 Ford Expedition - I bought it in a privtae sale. My biggest mistake! I bought it for $13,800.00 CDN > but I had to put another $6000.00 into it!(rotten deal that was!) - OK, I'm an easy target for con-artists.

It has a vibration. I feel the vibration in the steering wheel, and it's fairly contant. It was only 2 months ago that I bought it! And I didn't recognize the vibration at that time. Dunno why - I always wanted to try out an Expedition - but not at this price!

Now, I have the vehicle almost in good order - still another $1400.00 for a new heater box ( it's no good as well) They have to take apart the dash to get a new unit in. However, I don't have a clue on the vibration! It has no more hard or soft codes in the onboard computer.

I did replace (2) coils in the engine (part of repairs) but that didn't stop the vibration either. I also hear ping sounds from the vehicle after I stop on a long trip (metal fatigue?). Dunno. I'm looking for the same issue to solve - dam!
    Hate to say it - but this sounds like the rear clutch pack (rear differential). I had the same type of problem in my 1999 expedition - I got ripped off on the price I paid as well.

I got it repaired for $1200.00 area Canadian. Dam - I will never buy a Ford Expedition as long as I live!
    I have a vibration that's contant - whether I'm driving or standing still. It's about the same in any position. My Exped is 1999. It sucks! I really don't know where it's coming from, nor are there any computer codes showing up - soft or hard. Unbelieveable! I will be very happy when my bank loan is paid off on it - I'm going to get rid of it as fast as I can - I'm not even going to wait for the loan to expire - I'm selling it as soon as I can get the price low enough for a buyer to pay the loan off! GOD! What a lemon! Well, if you can find out what the issues are - it would be appreciated by all I'm sure!
    My Exped 1999 has a vibration even when standing still. I cant' locate the issue. It has no soft or hard codes coming up. Just vibrates. It seems to be the same vibration whether driving or standing still. Really weird - I fully regret buying this vehicle now. Unfortuantely it was a private sale (I should have known better!). Probably the guy laughed his head off after I drove away!

Can't wait to pay off the bank now & get rid of this vibrator - sadly, it's not powerful enough to help anyone's sex life! But does drive me nuts!
    I bought a ford Expedition 1999 privately - I sincerely regret buy it big tine! It has a constant vibration which I feel thru the steering column and through out the vehicle. It vibrates while standing still or driving. The vibration is exactly the same in any condition. My hands are vibrating after doing a long trip! If this had a small connector - it could be a sex toy! It's that bad! It has no codes on the computer soft or hard. No - get your mind out of the gutter now!

It's a bloody vibrator - yes! And I will never buy another Ford vehicle again! And I can't wait to pass this piece of S_it back to a dealer, or another person to spend their millions in repair bills.
    I just bought a used Ford expeditionm - 1999. I replaced the transmission, the rear differential, and 2 engine coils. It still has a vibration in the steering wheel, and the whole vehicle. It is a constant vibration at a specific level.

I believe it may be the engine mounts. I will try to get them replaced/padded. It's killing me! I can see why there aren't anymore ford expeditions on sale anywhere - it's a "BAD" vehicle period! Vibration appears to be a typical issue. I can't wait to pay off the bank - in fact I'm going to try & sell it off at my loan cost as soon as I can.

I will never buy a ford vehicle again!. Good luck!
    I have a 1999 Expedition and it has a "VIBRATION" that's present when idling or driving. It's about the same level of vibration when traveling or at a stand still. It's definitely not the wheels and the computer has no codes - soft or hard.

It's aggravating! The vibration is through-out the vehicle, and especially felt on the steering wheel. Maybe it's really bad engine mounts. Dunno. But as soon as I can "Dump" this Expedition - I'm going too.

The is truly a ("Fix-Or-Repair-Daily vehicle")

I will never buy a Ford vehicle again!
    Go to a dealer. They get the code from Ford. Costs about $30.00 or so. Takes about 15 minutes.
    The cost should be $30 - $50.00 max. $85.00 means he's profiting beyond reason! He's just using his computer to ask Ford what the code is. Go to another dealer - they should charge less.
    Are you sure there's not a nut loose behind the wheel?:)
  • bginsberg1bginsberg1 Member Posts: 10
    Had the same problem with my '03 Expy. Ford replaced the rear clutch pack for free. It's a known issue and they were very good about it. they even gave me a loaner for the week it took them to fix it.
  • wrly_brdwrly_brd Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, have a 98 exp xlt, it has almost 200k on it, been a reasonable buy, but some issues popping up.....to be expected with the mileage. The most annoying is an intermittent short hesitation at about 13-1500 rpm. Noticeable when the truck is working harder to accelerate or start climbing a hill. Thinking fuel pump but not sure. Plugs and coil been replaced,o2 sensor, no check engine light, no codes....ideas? Thanks.