Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    My heart goes out to you. Good Luck with Ford fixing it. I don't understand how
    they could not be responsible for it. It can only happen from the inside out. With all
    the excitement of getting a new vehicle you could of missed it . I had one on my
    old car, I did nothing about it and soon forgot about it. I have seen PDR done
    on vehicles with great results, Again Good Luck in having Ford fix it. Let us know
  • racman66racman66 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer. Was in mint condition with 35500 miles on it. I was parked when an 82 year old man slammed into my truck from the rear pushing it into a parked Toyota camry. damage is about 13000 dollars. Can anyone tell me what kind of value my truck is going to lose even if it is fixed?
  • wkohlerwkohler Member Posts: 74
    Well, not sure what you have in the way of options, but for the "base" EB Kelley Blue Book lists an 03 Expedition at just a little over $24,000 retail. Trade-in value would be considerably less; probably around $18,000 IF the vehicle was in as good as condition as you implied. Of course, there was most likely an accident report filed. In that case, any dealer or any one wanting to find out the history of the vehicle only needs to get a report from carfax to find out it was wrecked. Then, who knows???
  • cyr1cyr1 Member Posts: 2
    IM FAIRLY SURE MY AMP IN MY 02 EB EXPY IS SHOT. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS EXPERIENCE AND WHAT DID THEY DO FOR A REPLACEMENT BESIDES FORKING OUT $350 TO THE DEALER? WOULD A 97-99 SUB/AMP COMBO FIT? HELP ME!!!!!!
  • ccoxccox Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Expo that sometimes won't start at all.
    The car has power, but it won't crank at all.
    I just hear a "click" noise.
    The inside lights and dash lights are fine.
    Any ideas on what the problem could be???
  • teldocteldoc Member Posts: 49
    Question for anyone with a 2003 or newer Expy....

When you went to replace the stock ContiCraps TRs, what brand/model tire did you go with? Are you happy with your selection. I'm interested in on-road, quiet touring tires.

And the big question I have: Has anyone switched to blackwall tires? Seems they look great on almost every other SUV but even with trillions of Expys on the road, I've not seen one without raised white letters.

I've had excellent service from my 2004 (28,000 miles) but the tires have been less than I expected in terms of durability (tread damage, nails etc).

Thanks!
    David
    St Louis
  • questmomquestmom Member Posts: 3
    When I turn on my expedition, I now hear a loud grumbling/pumping sound every time that I am tending to believe is the automatic load leveling. :sick: It stops after about 15-20 seconds. It's also making this sound more and more even when I'm driving (used to only make it when something heavy was put in the SUV and even then only at start up)... could it be that the shock is bad and keeps trying to pump up to level out things? I want to take to the dealer, but don't know if I should tell them I think it's the load-leveling or not... I don't want to be taken advantage of either. :confuse: If it is the shock(s), how do I know which is bad ? How many are there (4?)... Should I change all at one time? Is there something else that could be wrong? A pump? something else missing? This all started happening after my daughter drove the SUV from Florida to Pennsylvania and back a couple of months ago. Any direction any of you can provide would be most appreciated. I only have 59,000 miles on it. Also, how much should I expect to pay for the shock replacement? I did some looking and it looks like the parts are anywhere from $59-$80/each.... Help? :cry: Will it hurt anything, other than my nerves, if I don't get this taken care of right away? Will it damage the truck in anyway to have this shock or whatever operating in this manner? What would be some consequences of driving this way a couple of more days and/or weeks?

Also, when I am driving, I hear a lot of rattles from the console, dash, etc... I know it's just things loosening up since it's almost 5 years old, but if I take the expy in to have the shocks worked on, can I also ask that they tighten up all the loose parts in the interior too? I know years ago, anytime my mom got one little rattle in her car, she told her mechanic and he took care of it... her cars hardly ever made any noise at all... can this kind of thing still be done? :confuse:
  • questmomquestmom Member Posts: 3
    Another question... I had purchased an extended warranty on my 2001 Expy and didn't buy another when that one ran out @ 50,000 miles (now have ~59,000) miles cause I thought I'd probably be trading the truck... as luck would have it, I'm going to keep it for a while now so I'm wondering if experience tells you all that I should look into another extended warranty and whether it would be worth it to buy one or just eat the cost of repairs. I'm not really in a position financially now to be paying out a lot for repairs but I have no idea what the failure rate on a 5 year old Expy is. How would I know I got a good warranty? What should one cover? Help? Are there any major things that I could anticipate having to repair based on the repair history of Expeditions overall? Also, if an extended warranty is advised... any recommendations for a company from which to purchase?
    Thanks! :blush:
  • trevorbtrevorb Member Posts: 4
    Is ur amp not still under warranty? mine was out when I bought my 2001 EB. they promised to replace it then gave me the run around. I went to to the owner got his daughter. shee was most helpful. waiting on the part now. the amp only costs about $150. from the dealer(i am assuming this is ur bass amp). the amp is next to ur sub-woofer, rear passenger side by the lift-gate. remove the panels. U can do it urself.
    A few months ago I replaced the tires on my 03 Expedition with Michelins. Quiet and much less intrusive with the Michelins. I didn't bother doing any research as I had Michelins on a suburban I owned and was very pleased. The tires are LTX 4. I have heard that BF Goodrich provide a decent tire for considerably less than the Michelins. The cost for the Michelins was around $740 at Sears. That included mounting, balancing and free tire rotation and balancing for as long as I own the vehicle.
    Thanks, I've had those on a land cruiser and they were great also.

Any fashion sensitive Expy owners try the blackwall? How does that look?
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    I have a 2000 XLT, not same vehicle but in mint condition and with a very fussy owner. I replaced the crappy Wranglers with, believe it or not, Firestone Destination LE's. Was ready to go with Michelins as I put them on my '97 Explorer and they were great. I have 17" tires and the Michelins are grossly overpriced, IMO. Did a lot of research on tirerack.com and CR, Firestone is making some excellent tires now (they have to, or they are gone). Mounted them blackwall as my wife is called the Curb Queen; the blackwalls look MUCH better than raised letter white. And the Firestones are excellent in all respects- handling, quietness, rain and snow performance. The debacle with the Explorers and Firestone tires was part their fault, part owners who ran the tires with low pressures causing heat and failures. I run these at 40 psi for better gas mileage and with this size tire, no noticable difference in ride quality (the previous series Expy's ride stiff, anyway). Paid about $400 for the set, mounted and balanced.
    I am considering trading my 2000 Expy for an '05- have read back through this thread a few times and got the lowdown on the early '04's and all the problems. Wondering how the '05's have been for any that own them? The only other full-size SUV's that make sense for us each have a drawback- the Sequoia has 3rd row seats that must be removed (done that enough times with our 2000 Expy, it's a hassle) and the Armada has had reliability/build quaility issues. Both are overpriced. For a full-size SUV with good tow capacity and fold-flat 3rd row seat, the Expy is really the only choice.(Durango not an option; don't like Chrysler products). Any feedback much appreciated!
    I noticed you didn't mention anything against GM. Having said that I've had very good luck in the past with suburbans. I currently own a late build 03 Expeditionand have had NO problems what-so-ever. I did upgrade the brakes to eliminate the brake dust issue, but, the brakes did operate as advertised. I know a couple of folks in my area who own and 05 Expedition. One has had no problems, the other has had A/C problems. Neither one has a lot of miles though. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that no matter what you get, it winds up being somewhat of a crap shoot. I was considering getting an 05 with the 3V engine, but why give up a perfectly good vehicle and take the chance of the new one being a :lemon: Good Luck. By the way, you should be able to get a good deal. All kinds of 05 and 04 Expeditions, suburbans, Durango, et al. sitting around.
  • mbjbmbjb Member Posts: 39
    teledoc,

I got rid of my contcraps when I purchased my expy and I went with the Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo. The ride is smooth and quiet. Also the revos are rated very good traction in rain and snow. I do not remember the price but check out tirerack.com.
  • jon1214jon1214 Member Posts: 1
    Have your battery tested first. My '01 Expedition had the gauges rotating all the way to the right on startup and another forum stated that the battery was starting to go. In checking the battery it was at half life and upon changing it the problem went away. This may be affecting some of the other systems also.
  • doc4baxdoc4bax Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone, I just bought a 2003 Expedition with 26000mi. When you get to 40MPH you start to hear a howling sound from the tranny, actually sounds like its coming from the front driver side wheel. Only hear it when I give it a little gas. I brought it in to the dealer and the guy says it's the ring and pinion in the rear-end. That's what it sounds like but the sound is coming from up front. Just curious if anyone else has this problem.
  • compman6compman6 Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar problem with my 99. I had lights and the windows worked, but the radio wouldn't work either. The problem turned out to be the starter relay. It is located on the firewall on the passenger side and you should be able to change it in less than five minutes.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    You say you only hear it when you give it a little gas. Does it disappear when you let off the gas? If so, that is exactly how mine behaved. It was indeed the ring and pinion in the rear end. My mechanic insisted on rebuilding the differential himself since he has had bad luck with new rear ends from Ford. Apparently brand new ones would exhibit the same whine. He rebuilt it properly and I have had no issues since.
    Thanks Z. It will disapear when you let off the gas. I was wondering how a new truck could have such a problem with limited miles. The mechanic said it was indeed the differential and he ordered a new ring and pinion. I keep hearing it up front but maybe the sound just finds it way up there. He said one of the other mechanics said the same thing. He said something like on the older design the teeth on the ring and pinion are different so I guess he is putting the newer design in. My concern was with towing. I am towing a 6500 pound boat this weekend and don't need the differential cooked. He said it will be fine.
    I owned an early build 03 Expedition and had numerous issues with it. One was the howling sound you describe that was caused by the front differential. There is a TSB out that take care of this issue by replacing the "S" spring. Had that done and no more howling. If you still have the problem after fixing the rear, look at the front. Also, if your VIN has the letter "A" before the last six digits, would suggest you look up the numerous TSB's associated with your vehicle; i.e. door seals, outside rear view mirros, seat padding, cladding attachment points, etc.
    It is 2WD so it does not have a front differential or transfer case. Where can I go to look up the TSB's that don't charge you? I know expeditions weren't known for reliability but howling at 26000mi is ridiculous. My brother had a 2001 and never had any problems. I heard the redesign hurt the reliablity factor.

Also my warranty is up in about 10000mi. What would you suggest for warranty?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    what are the problems with the 04's? maybe you meant early 03's?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    It may have been '03's; now I can't recall for sure without going back though all the previous threads, although I thought '04's had significant # of problems, too. If they were a vast improvement, that says the '05's should be mostly beyond Ford's typical "new design development phase, assisted by the consumer". Not bashing Ford as I am a Ford guy and have owned a bunch- I really do like the new Expy's better than the Durango. But Ford really does need to work on improving year-one new model reliability. Interestingly, even a lot of Japanese new-model SUV's are having issues, too- wonder if it's just that SUV's are harder to get right in the first year; or that the problems stem from now being assembled in USA factorys? :confuse:
  • expdudeexpdude Member Posts: 1
    Sounds to me like your compressor for the self-leveling suspension is going out. I had the same thing happen to mine. If you have to replace it you might as well change out the air springs as well. A leak in the air springs will cause it to over run as well. It started out by running just a little then more often and then becames regular running while stopped. The dealer wanted an arm and a leg to replace the compressor, dryer, and air bags. That is the bad news.

The good news is that it is fairly easy to do it yourself and there are companies that make aftermarket parts for MUCH LESS than you would pay the dealer. I purchased the compressor (which comes with the dryer) and air springs all for under $500. It will take around 2-3 hours to install. All of their parts are new and not refurbs and are working very well in my Expedition. There is a guide on their site for a Crown Victoria that is almost exactly the same procedure as for the Expedition. And once you have the parts in hand it will make much more sense.

If you decide to tackle this project I found it much easier to remove the connector that fits into the air spring and install it outside of the vehicle. It took some tapping with a rubber mallet to get it into place.

The company that I purchased the parts from was http://www.arnottindustries.com
    They were fast and friendly. I had them overnight the parts to me and everything was delivered as planned.

If you need any advice installing the parts just send me a message.

Hope this helps.
  • khelms_98khelms_98 Member Posts: 1
    I have a very early build '03 (purchased in August of '02) and I have had very few problems with mine. I live a small town and I, and two other friends of mine, got our '03 Expeditions all in the same week from the same dealer. They actually rolled off the assembly line together and were put on the same semi. However, our Expeditions have had almost zero problems. The only problems I have had are the exterior mirrors; the reverse function acts up sometimes. But that was fixed per a TSB. Other than that, mine has been great and so have the other two early build '03's around here. We all still have ours. On the other hand, I have another friend who bought a new '04 about a year and half ago and she has had many problems with hers: ie. rattling doors (which I do not), screwy radio( which I do not), howling rear end(which I do not), among other things. I haven't had near the troubles some have. My rear end is whisper quiet, no howling whatsoever. That is strange because my mother's '04 Navigator has a somewhat noticeable rear end howl, but my early '03 Eddie Bauer Expedition does not. We all have to remember that these vehicles are put together by machines AND humans; so some are going to have more gremlins than others. But not ALL '03's are horrible and riddled with problems. There are more used '04's on dealers lots than '03's and most people I talk to who have an early '03's absolutely love them; that's why they still have them and didn't opt to trade. Mid year in 2003 Ford made some cost cutting changes like, going to a cheaper, not-as-accurate reverse sensing system, deleting the underhood light, reducing the wattage in the audiophile radio, deleting scuff plates on all door except driver's, among other things. If you notice, the early '03 Expeditions ( and all '03+ Navigators) have two visible reverse sensors and one hidden sensor in the middle behind the bumper facia. That system uses sonar and radar sensors. Well, as I said before, mid year 2003, Ford changed to a 4 visible sensor system, which uses either JUST sonar, or JUST radar, I'm not sure which. But anyway, the 4 sensor system isn't as accurate as the system used on early '03 Expeditions and all '03+ Navigators. So with Ford making cost cutting measures such as these, maybe the problems arose with the later build '03s after all the cost cutting. But my point is that all '03s aren't bad and I don't want anyone reading this to get the wrong idea and think that every single '03 is a lemon.
    Didn't mean to sound too negative regarding early build 03's. The biggest disappointment was the decontenting, I'm assuming to save money. Don't forget the absence of the windshield shade band, the ashtray (don't smoke but the ashtray looks better than the "protrusion"), and the "xtra" 3rd row seat control buttons beside the second row driver side seat. ALso, the white "pointers" on the instrument panel are much easier to read than the red "pointers", especially during the day time.
    Thanks for all the feedback- I'm going to demo a '05 this week, hopefully. Certainly plenty on the lots to choose from! :D
  • thelynchesthelynches Member Posts: 2
    I took the car to the closest dealer the following Monday and they removed the inside door panel and they saw no evidence of anything pushing against the door. They said that it was a factory defect that I probably missed and advised that not try PDR since it is so minor. I immediately called Ford to complain about the poor quality. I didn't even get a "sorry to hear about that" from the customer service representative.

I have to say that I am disappointed with the fact that something like this passed quality control on a vehicle that has a sticker of $47k. I am surprised at how expensive Fords have become as the quality degrades. This will be the last new car that I buy since I am now convinced they are not worth the prices that they ask nowadays. At least my wife is happy with it!
  • rtpmedicrtpmedic Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Expedition - purchased 12/04 with 46K miles. It has overall been a really good truck - have only had 2 problems. It burns quite a bit of oil, but the digital odometer display goes in and out. We had a mechanic look at it and of course it was on at the time, so he couldn't find anything wrong. I need to find out why the odometer display disappears, any suggestions? It still keeps up with the mileage and the speedometer works fine. Stays off more than on now days.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    i only want to know because the dealer i buy from still has 2 '04 eb's that have the exact equipment i want. :blush:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I got one for ya....about 90% of the year, the reverse sensor system works perfectly. But on really hot days, it sometimes gives a false positive (beeps like crazy when there's nothing there). It only does it may 1 out of 5 times on hot days, making diagnosis for the dealer really tough.

Anyone had this problem with the reverse sensor system? Ideas? Is it a sensor or the system?
  • mom2twinsmom2twins Member Posts: 1
    I am knew to this site and can only hope someone has had a similar experience. Last night when I got home I turned of the ignition and removed my key and my defroster started to blow at full power and my radio flashed off and on. The expy drove great, as usual, and I had no indication of a problem until I turned off the ignition. I had to disconnect the battery during the night to get the blower to stop running. Do you think it is a short in the defroster or perhaps somewhere else? Any suggestions or comments are very much appreciated. Thank you.
  • twiebetwiebe Member Posts: 7
    My EB White is 1 year old and I noticed a rust spot on the roof. As I went around it more closely, I noticed very faint specs of rust underneath the black window trim, as well as the rear panels. The specs are also more noticable on the trim above the rear window that houses the third brake light. This car sits in a garage all day, and I take it to a full service car wash typically every Saturday and get the works (premium wash, clear coat, armorall tires etc.) Has anyone had this problem, and does anyone know what the warranty options are?
  • canadiangirl8canadiangirl8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone I'm new to the boards so I apologize if this has already been asked. We have a 2000 Ford Expedition and it just recently started clunking when we first start to drive. The clunking sound stops after awhile but we'd like to know what's making that sound. Thank you for your help.
  • 1frmpsu1frmpsu Member Posts: 1
    Wow....your description matches my experience almost exactly. Friday evening I had problems starting, with the "theft" light on the dash flashing at me. I re-programmed the key and it started. On the way home there was something beeping with a series of 5 beeps coming from the dash. When I got home and shut the truck off, I pulled the key out and the blower came on full blast and the odometer was blinking periodically. I also had to disconnect the battery. I just spoke with the dealer this morning.....turns out I had a leak in the windshield seal and rain water got into the fuse panel!! I need a new fuse panel and something called a gem module? Add to this a new seal on the windshield and I'm out $930!! Good Luck!!
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    Bought it in April 04. Had a few minor issues. Interior lights stayed on,
    Driver power seat (EZ option got stuck ) and Drivers side mirror vibrated. All
    minor issues that were fixed . 9300 miles on it now. Runs great. No issues.
    I think its the best truck out there for the $. Took a 800 mile trip to Buffalo over
    the weekend. No issues. 17.2 miles to the gallon at 72 mph as per the computer.
    Actual computation 16.77.for one tankful
  • gteeezngteeezn Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer. It has 70,000 miles on it and I have had no major issues. With that said though my tail lights stopped working while the 3rd brake light was fine. I found that one of the bulbs blew in one of the tail lights that caused both tail lights to stop working. I replaced the bulb and they worked for about a month and a half. Now they do not work again. The bulbs tested fine. I am told that the brake lights are on a different system than the 3rd brake light. Is this true and does anyone know what may be causing this before I go to the dealer?
  • gteeezngteeezn Member Posts: 3
    I broke down today and took it to a friends mechanical shop. Low and behold one wire behind the headlamp switch came loose. Who knew that the headlamp switch operates the brake lights. The wire was out behind the fog lamp switch. Simple repair. Tail lights back in full use.
  • creaviscreavis Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 97 4x4 xlt with a 5.4L. everytime I go for a trip at least an hour away my service engine light comes on. I took it to autozone to let them hook it up to tell me what the light was for they said the code was p1131 and that it was a dealer code that they didn't know what it was. If any one has an idea about this it would be very helpful.
  • idrivethechevyidrivethechevy Member Posts: 3
    Recently, my mother came home from the grocery store and came to me somewhat unhappy about how her truck was running. Having some previous experience with vehicles, the first thing I did was took it for a test drive around the block. When I first started the vehicle it started up fine and ran well for about 10 minutes, when I put it in gear it accelerated roughly. My first thought was how long had it been since replacing the spark plugs. finding out she had never replaced them seemed a good enough reason for the way the vehicle was driving. This morning I went out to start on my project of changing the spark plugs, I realized I could not find a single spark plug. So I went online to try to find some information on how to change and where the locations of the spark plugs were. Once getting on here I saw the $800 price tag some people were talking about to have them changed, not wanting to have to spend. I also read about how one of the spark plugs blew out and cost around 2,000 + to fix. (definitely don't like that price) Is there any way to tell wether either of these ideas could be whats causing the problem???
  • creaviscreavis Member Posts: 2
    I had a quote of around 250 dollars to have my plugs changed. I did the same thing. I went and bought the plugs and spent 10 min trying to figure out where they went. Once I figured out where they went I took them back. That was too much work for me.
  • radiogeekradiogeek Member Posts: 9
    I've had the same issue for the past week or so with 2002 Expy. I thought I might've had some dirt or something covering the sensors...wiped them clean, but still have the problem.
  • radiogeekradiogeek Member Posts: 9
    I've got 39,000 miles on my 2002 Expy when this noise started up on me. Every time I start the truck, the sound starts for about 15 seconds then happens again about 2 or 3 minutes later, again, for 15 seconds. This sound also happens when the truck isn't running--I can hear it when the truck's parked in the driveway. I had a 98 Town Car that made the same noise when the car was parked--not when running, like the expy.

I just had tie rods replaced around the same time this started. Related?

Anyone have any idea what's up with this and/or cost?

Thanks.
  • km5km5 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 03 EB and I just had to replace the altenator. Well now that message center says check charging system. It did not say this before the altenator was changed. It isn't loosing any power. Everything works like it should but now this message won't go away. Can anyone help or have any ideas?? :confuse:
  • rfinkrfink Member Posts: 1
    We own a 1999 Expedition with 88K miles. Never a lick of problems until this week. When my wife backed out there were two bolt heads sitting under the car. We took it to the local dealer and they said they were from the back right side exhaust manifold. They just sheared off, I guess for the heat.

The dealer said they would not submit it this to Ford because of the high mileage. I strongly disagreed. I do not believe 88K miles is high miles for a 1999 vehicle that has been parked in the garage every night for the 6-plus years we've owned it. My feeling is: this is a defect that should be covered by Ford. I have never experienced sedimentary bolts just breaking in half and dropping to the floor. Does anyone out there have a similar experience? I would appreciate hearing back
  • mostlyjazzmostlyjazz Member Posts: 11
    I have the same problem with my 2004 EB. Dealership previously replaced the wiring harness and the computer but the "check charging system" message continues. I think there is a Technical Service Bulletin for this problem.

I am taking it to the dealer the end of the week for this and a few other issues :confuse: .

Good Luck !
  • raytompkins3raytompkins3 Member Posts: 3
    I hope that someone out there may be able to help me with my problem. I have a 98 expedition with aobut 75,000 miles and lately I've been having issues with the engine idling VERY rough and at times stalling out. When on the road, everythiing runs fine, until I come to a stop at a redlight, etc. My check engine light has come on, and I have replaced the oxygen sensor as well as the EGR valve. Has anyone else had a problem like this, and would anybody else know what may be causing this or how to fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • donnygtdonnygt Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 that had the same issue last year. After $200 of parts that didn't help, I found a vacum leak. Just behind the throttle body is a cylinder that is your auto idle adjuster, if you stick your finger just under it there is vacum hose elbow for the EGR valve. Ours had melted and had a nice little hole in it. You'll have to buy the hose and EGR assembly from the dealer, our dealer had it in stock $35.
  • gatorman1gatorman1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with mine and it took four trips to two dealers before they finally diagnosed it. Mine was a bad sensor. They replaced it and I have had no problems since then.