Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• avianfluavianflu Member Posts: 33
    Lawdude-

Had a similar problem last year with our '98 with 75k and it was the somthing called "engine idle air valve" located on the back side of the fuel injection . Dealer charged $75 to bolt in ~$120 for the valve. Could have done it myself if I knew what it was. This is very common and is covered by a TSB.
  • srt840788srt840788 Member Posts: 1
    The problem is your idle air control valve. I replaced one on my 5.4 99 Expedition.
    It's not hard to change(20 minutes tops),just two small metric bolts and an electrical connection.It is on the upper portion of the intake, just in front of the firewall.I bought mine at AutoZone. Good Luck!!
  • krd327krd327 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 expedition and the drivers side window stopped working. I pulled out the motor and tested it and it works fine. I cant believe that the buttons have already gone bad. Is there someone out there that has had the same problem??
  • rfdevil1rfdevil1 Member Posts: 43
    I searched on this and haven't found the exact same symptoms. I have a 2001 XLT with the 5.4L with 73K miles. Yesterday it began running rough and the check engine light came on. Then it went off for a while. Then it flashed for a while and is now constant on. When accelerating lightly, there is a very bad vibration that stops as soon as you let off the gas. It you accelerate moderately the vibration is much less but when you get to cruise speed and accelerate lightly to maintain speed it shudders badly. Hit the gas too much and the CEL begins to flash then goes back to constant. At a stop, it idles very rough but hasn't stalled. Starts ok too.

Not sure what is going on but I couldn't get an appointment until Wednesday. I thought I would check the plugs but as other have mentioned, they're nowhere to be found. It's going to the dealer but I'm trying to size up what this could be and rough cost to repair. Any comments or thought would be appreciated.

thx
  • drkknightdrkknight Member Posts: 2
    I have owned a 1998 Ford Explorer in the past and currently own a 2003 Ford Expedition. Both had problems with the air conditioning (Condenser/Accumulator leaks). Has anybody else had these problems with their vehicles? I find it quite odd that I had the same problem with 2 different vehicles owned at 2 different times. Is this a problem Ford needs to be aware of?
  • mcox1mcox1 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 2005 expedition and the tires keep cupping?????? have talked with other people with same problem! should the tire presure change???? HELP!!
  • bunnibunni Member Posts: 2
    :cry: I have the same problem with my 98 EB and the diagnostic readings came up as P0172 and P0174 System too lean Bank 1 code. I had my pcv valve and hose replaced, and then my erg valve. I am still idling and my check engine light is still on. Any suggestions on what might be the problem. Could it possibly be that my maf sensor needs to be replaced.
  • firestorm500firestorm500 Member Posts: 1
    One or more of your coil-on-plug packs is probably bad. #4 usually seems to go out first. But there are eight coils, one for each plug. Your Ford dealer will do a diagnostic to find out which one(s) are bad. Cost of repairs--figure about $350-400 for parts & labor for one. Doing it yourself is not recommended. I wouldn't take it to a "shadetree" mechanic either.
    Thanks firestorm- It's at the dealer today so hopefully that is all it is. I'll report back with the diagnosis.

Do you know why these go bad? I have never had this happen in one of my cars. Is this a defect?
  • teldocteldoc Member Posts: 49
    All,
    I have an 04 5.4L approaching the end of bumper to bumper warranty (35K). For the life of this truck it's had a mild ticking noise when the A/C compressor is engaged. You only hear it if you're outside the vehicle and the system works perfectly.

Anybody else experienced this?
    Firestorm-

Your right on. It was the coil on the #6 cylander and the cost is $370.
  • dpj09dpj09 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 expedition and im havein battery problems. the car won't start all the time, i give it a jump and it will work for a little while but then the battery will go dead. I need help badly!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If it's the original battery it's probably tired and needs replacement. 5-7 years is more than enough for a battery.

Here's what you can do. Put the battery on a charger (SLOW charge), then take it in and have it LOAD TESTED (a stress test). If it fails, replace it and then have your alternator tested--although I suspect if the car keeps running with a battery jump, the alternator can't be the problem.

The only other problem I can think of if it's not your battery is that you have a current drain.

By the way---don't keep charging a dead battery with your alternator, or you'll soon have a dead alternator AND a dead battery.
  • blackdog2blackdog2 Member Posts: 1
    I have tried a dozen times to follow the directions to turn off the seat belt warning on my '05 EB Expedition. The dealer won't help.

Has anyone benn able to get it off?

Thanks.
  • nybatterylownybatterylow Member Posts: 2
    Well more rain, and more issues. However, this time 121.34 at the Ford says that water was in the circut box and has now been "fixed"... The two problems we had as the fan blower and air shocks. I will let you know...

Wen
  • kjherrerkjherrer Member Posts: 1
    There is a technical service bulletin TSB-05-9-17 that covers this problem. You will need your restraint control module (RCM) changed and the software upgraded. Take it your dealer, this problem is covered.
  • ironmac1ironmac1 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 99 expy and it used to blow hot air with a/c on. have you looked at the temp switch/dial (knob) in the dash? mine has cracked twice and then it spins on the pin, and therefore, won't move to or blow cold. had taken it to the dealer and they wanted to replace whole switch panel for the fan, temp, etc. did not like price and pulled knob myself, then turned the pin with a pair of needle-nose pliers. boom, cold air. crack in knob is very small so get it under a light. may or may not fix it but it's cheaper than replacing items until you find the problem. good luck.
  • grip1grip1 Member Posts: 1
    my left turning signal is blinking fast whats the cause of this, a friend of
    minds said it's the turning signal bulb so i replace the 1 i thought was out but
    it still blinking fast . do anybody know what the problem is..
  • pdoug1pdoug1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 (bought in April) and I have had it in for repair numerous times. The rear A/C makes a hissing sound and a "hooting" type sound. After sixth time the dealership said it was low on freon. After repair they said it was all fixed. Picked it up and it was still the same. It wasn't until then they discovered a TSB from Ford explaining they are having problems with some rear A/C units. They explained to evacuate system and recharge to 58oz of freon. If this didn't work there was no fix for the problem at this time and there engineers were working on it.
  • basshymanbasshyman Member Posts: 8
    Is anyone else having a problem with their tire pressure sensor?

Last year when it was a round 10 degrees or colder and snow and ice on the ground I could understand it happening. Last year the light would only stay on a few minutes. Now it is only in the 50's and it's coming on. The dealership reset it and it seems to be worse now. It stays on from 6-10 minutes. When they have kept it over night of course it hasn't been cold enough for it to come on. Should I take it in 1 more time when it is cold and see what they say or should I just call Ford and see what they have to say? Is it something that can be disconnected?

Thanks for any input.
  • mmartin6mmartin6 Member Posts: 2
    in my experience timing chains rarely (if ever) have to be replaced, maybe your advisor said the front guides (or cassettes they are referred to) need to be replaced. i know somebody else mentioned the chain is replaced at 100000kms as maintenance but that is a timing belt. does the noise only occur on start up or is it present while driving or at idle? i will keep pondering this one.
  • rbatesrbates Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same , i mean same identical problems with my 2003 expedition. including new ac mirror motors, rear end replaced, altenator, transmission rebuilt and they still will not do any thing for me.
  • kemoputzkemoputz Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2005 Expedition and the A/C is also making a hissing noise toward the rear of the car. I can turn the rear air unit off and the noise still occurs, but if I turn all the air off (in the whole car), the noise goes away.

My Ford service dept. has told me the same thing...we've done what the TSB says and there's nothing else we can do.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
  • dominoetxdominoetx Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up a 2006 exp. limited last week. I have 3 clothing bars in my garage but none of them fit over the wide fitting in the exp. I called the dealer and ford does not offer anything. If someone has a clothing bar that fits, will you post where you got it. I'm talking about the bar that goes across the back or second row seats that allows you to hang clothes on it.

Thanks
  • pickupmanpickupman Member Posts: 1
    The check battery red symbol is always on even after I have replaced a failed battery and alternator. It passed a battery and charging system load test. The battery charging gauge never fluctuates and always gives a good reading.

Thank you in advance for your help, Cliff
  • drushepdrushep Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem but on the right side I replaced everything including relays and so I took it to Ford....they had to replace the entire blinker assy....in the steering colume...there was a short in it.

Aprox...$300.00
  • atomtanmanatomtanman Member Posts: 1
    Recently fixed the spring that allows the dashboard cupholder to be pushed closed/locked, then pushed again to open and pull out. I can't figure out, though, how to get the locking mechanism set. There is a small post on a pivot in the back of the mount that fits into a mechanism on the cupholder - has anyone ever put one of these back in that can help me? Thanks.
  • scdscd Member Posts: 15
    Leather seat update: Took my 05 XLT to the dealer regarding the seat problem. They replaced the front seat leathers. Looks like they are starting to crack again. I'll probably be back in the dealer in about another month for more replacements. Does anyone know if the King Ranch or Limited has a better leather seat surface than the EB or XLT's?
  • pmorg1pmorg1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a '99 Expedition EB with a 30 gallon tank. Whenever I try to fill the tank, usually when it requires 25+ gallons, the last 5 to 6 gallons has to be pumped very slowly or it will cut off the pump. This is frustrating. It has been this way since purchased new, 6 years ago. Obviously it seems it would be related to a venting problem, but I have been unable to find out any information on this type of problem.

Does anyone else have this problem or know of a solution.

Thanks in advance.
  • carroll5carroll5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 XLT Expedition with 4 wheel drive. I have found that when it sits a day or two without being driven, It makes a loud clunking noise when it first starts up. I can not tell if it is the engine or transmission where the noise is coming from. Only 3,000 miles left on warranty, so I really need to locate this if it is a problem. I have been unable to recreate for dealership, they seem to not know what I am talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    First starts up or first starts moving? If you are not moving I would not think it is the transmission. If you are moving is it possible that a brake caliper is momentarily stuck to the rotor?

Karl
  • latimerlatimer Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same exact problem. Did you find out what was causing it?

Thanks
  • deanctdeanct Member Posts: 10
    I went out to start my 04 exp. and all I got was a clicking noise. The lights work, the CD player is going crazy and my instrument gauges are practically spinning around. At first, I thought maybe the battery was dead, but that wasn't it. So, tomorrow, I'll have to call the dealership where I got it and have them come and pick it up. I'm so pissed, I only have 16,600 miles on the vehicle. I though I would be one of the lucky ones since I hadn't noticed any problems with the vehicle up until this point. I'm curious to hear if anyone else has experienced this problem and what the cause was.

Thanks! :sick:
  • kayaker5kayaker5 Member Posts: 1
    My 04 hasn't had seat problems, but I know of an 04 Explorer that has had the drivers leather seat replaced because of cracking. Have you used any conditioners on the leather. They should help.
  • offrddrveroffrddrver Member Posts: 3
    I see your message is over a year old so I suppose you found the rattle by now.
    But, if not.... My 2003 Exp had rattles at highway speeds also. The rattle was coming from the plastic door panels on the outside of both front doors.(the back doors did not seem to have the same issue).

I was on a road trip, and the noise was driving me crazy, so I took some cardboard and wedged it between the door and the plastic door panel on the driver side. The noise was reduced, so I stopped and did the same thing on the passenger side. NOISE WAS GONE.

I showed the Ford dealer and they pulled the panels, and added soft "bumper stops" under the panels. The noise did not come back.

I also looked everywhere for the noise..... in the door, mirrors, internal panels by my feet, steering column......in short the DOOR PANEL was the cause.
    From day 1 my 2004 Expedition has had highway speed vibrations in the steering.
    At 70mph and up the steering wheel starts to vibrate. The EXP has been in for service 4 times. First two times dealer said tire problem. Third time the dealer said alignment and tire issue. Fourth time the same as third.
    Each time a new set of tires are placed on the front the vibration goes away for about 500 miles. Then the vibration appears again.
    I suspect the front end drifts out of alignment, then destroys the tires with feathering and cupping, and then it just gets worse and worse until new tires are installed. This is a daily driver, and long road trip driver. It has never been off-road and is a 2-wheel drive. I know of two other Expeditions that had the same issue, and I see the issue is listed on the Ford TSB (technical service bulletins) Anyone else have this issue, or found a fix for this issue?

Thanks
    My 2004 Expedition sounds like it has the same issue your's has. I'm on my FOURTH set of tires now. The first set were "out of round" according to the AZ dealer. All four replaced. The second set of TWO were "out of round" and "oh we just got a rash of bad tires lately"....BS....according to dealer. Third time they only replaced one tire, due to bad cupping/feathering, and completed alignment and completed road force balancing.
    Here is the good one though....my Exp. is now over 12,000 miles, so the warranty is no longer valid for suspention and tire work. So get ready for that one from your dealer. And if they tell you this "JUMP UP AND DOWN ON THEIR DESK UNTIL YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT.....TRUST ME IT WORKS" the dealer agreed to pay for it "this time".

In short, my issue is still not fixed, in fact I'm researching now because mine is going in again ASAP for same issue. I'm demanding a FORD ENGINEER come and inspect my Expedition.

Good luck, if you find a fix, please please please....let me know.... I will do the same for you/all here.

Offrddrver
  • basshymanbasshyman Member Posts: 8
    Kinda late now to be replying to your message, but anyway. We just had the fuse panel and gem module replaced. 1 Monday we took the '97 F150 in for the airbag light. Went to start it up the following Friday for the 1st time and it wouldn't start. Had rained all week. Got in it Saturday and the airbag light was back on again. Took it back to the dealership again on Monday because of the airbag light and am told we might have a water leak. The dealership had the Waterdoctor come out and look and they said the windshield was leaking also. The dealership suggested we call our insurance company to see if they would pay for the new windshield and for the repairs. The insurance adjustor came out and they did replace the window and paid for the repairs. We only had to pay 100 deductible for the windshield. Still trying to get the original money back for the original repairs on the 1st Monday but we did get everything paid for on the 2nd trip.
  • roadie8roadie8 Member Posts: 1
    The front driver and passenger doors rattle as if they are not completely closed when driving over bumps or any semi rough road. Does anyone have the same problem or knows of a TSB out on door latch problems?????
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  • jord1jord1 Member Posts: 2
    I was driving my 2005 Expedition with 9000 miles on it and the brakes failed. The brake went to the floor and the Advance Track light started flashing. It was as if I was trying to brake on ice. Finally the right brake felt like it was trying to grab. After taking the car to the dealership, they noted that an "ABS incident had occurred that lasted 15 seconds." They could not find anything that caused it and gave the car back to us stating" if it happens again, let us know." This is obvioulsy unacceptable and we are trying to find other people that have had similar problems. We have found 2 others so far and are trying to gather the facts to determine how this can be fixed to prevent it from happening again... next time it may be too late!
  • ceadsceads Member Posts: 24
    I have the same problem . It seems worse on the two front doors BUT there is also a slight noise on the back and the Hatch. Ive looked and looked and sprayed wd-40 around the doors with no luck .Mine sounds like it is towards the back towards the middle-top area. chris
  • jord1jord1 Member Posts: 2
    We are having a problem with our brakes on our 2005 expedition with 9000 miles on it. We are getting terrible response from Ford and the dealer. ( see the message I posted on 11/2 re brakes. We have called the customer service area of Ford nationally, talked to the service manager etc but are not getting a good response. Basically- they say they can't find what caused the problem so they can't fix it but to let them know if our brakes fail again. Have you found any good way to get through to them ( besides jumping on the desk- we have tried that)Thanks.
  • 03exp03exp Member Posts: 1
    Have you found out anything? We have an '03. It has been dead as a door nail 3 times now. It won't start, no clicking, no nothing. Then after is sits, it'll start. I've had the battery checked, the starter checked. I've had it "put on the computer." NOTHING. It hasn't done it now for a week or two, but I haven't found out what is wrong. When I have the tools/time to check things out, it magically starts. Go figure. PLEASE let me know what you find out. Mine has 38,000 miles on it, so the warranty is gone, poof. :confuse:
  • sassy31sassy31 Member Posts: 2
    I recently pulled my 2003 ex onto my carport, put it in park took the keys out and went inside. a few minutes later heard a big bang and noticed my trunk on my mothers porch. I went inside to see if my keys were in my house and found them laying on my bar. I can not figure out what happened. Strange. there was no one home but me and my 2yr old son. I went out side and looked in the truck and noticed the truck was in drive. even if I did not take it out of drive I would not have been able to take the keys out of the ignition. really weird. has any one had any problems with the gear shifts slipping or being able to take the keys out of the ignition? this is my second ex. and I have never been able to take the keys out of the ignition if it was in gear. I think this is a default. I have only had this truck 2 months.
  • kennersonkennerson Member Posts: 1
    Coil On Plug, Triton 5.4 liter? If this is the case one of the eight coils is the problem. If you have a Auto Zone near, they will read your computer for free and it will tell you which cylinder(s). Buy the coil off EBAY, mine were $25.00 each new, Ford charges $115.00.
  • sassy31sassy31 Member Posts: 2
    I had my expedition towed to dub herring ford in picayune. Probably will be hit with a big bill but I want to make sure that it is not a defect. even if I left it in gear, which I know I did not, I still should not have been able to take the keys out. 15 min. after it had been park is when the accident occured. I went outside afterward and looked through the window and the truck was in drive. Something is not right. I had to replace one of the coils after I first got it, 4 months ago,and took it by auto zone, and their computer could not read mine on my truck.I will fight ford on this if I have to. Any other info is great. thatnks
  • imeldadonnimeldadonn Member Posts: 1
    The same thing happened to me this morning. My gas tank was low and I pulled out of my garage and parked on a slope and the engine quit and the truck would not keep running when started again. I could not figure out what happened. My friend put more gas in it and the problem was solved. Bottom line you cannot let the fuel tank run low on the expeditions. Did you ever hear from anyone else that had this problem?
  • cheyennedudecheyennedude Member Posts: 1
    IF your 2003 is STILL under warranty, Ford will REPACK your
    panels. This was happening to mine also. They filled the
    panels with something and now it's quieter. Do your panels
    (on the doors) seem to be fading? That was a defect from
    the factory, and Ford will replace them also, at no cost,
    if under warranty. Expect trouble from your rear heater/ac
    motor if not occured already. I also had trouble with my
    rear differential (2wd). Replaced free.
  • ceadsceads Member Posts: 24
    I have a ESP until 100K I have 42K .I was told on another site............. Automotive Forums.com.I had the same problem with my previous Expedition, a 2003 model. It are the latches, but don't bother adjusting them... I got hands on the below Ford service message. The dealer ordered the kit (Weatherstrip and latches), installed it, and all rattles where gone. Was done under warranty.

17734 2003 EXPEDITION/NAVIGATOR - RATTLE, RUBBING OR TICKING NOISE FROM DOOR
    SOME 2003 EXPEDITION/NAVIGATOR VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A RATTLE/RUBBING/TICKING NOISE FROM ONE OR MORE DOORS DUE TO EXCESS MOVEMENT OF DOOR RELATIVE TO THE LATCH STRIKER PLATE. TO VERIFY, DRIVE VEHICLE AND MANUALLY PULL DOOR INBOARD WHILE NOISE IS PRESENT. IF NOISE IS UNCHANGED, SEE TSB 03-23-3. IF NOISE DECREASES, REPLACE THE WEATHERSTRIP AND/OR LATCH AND/OR SHEDLIP ON AFFECTED DOOR(S) AS NEEDED. UNITS BUILT AFTER 05/12/03 CONTAIN REVISED WEATHERSTRIPS; UNITS BUILT AFTER 7/21/03 CONTAIN REVISED LATCHES. DO NOT RESET DOORS - DOOR CLOSING EFFORTS WILL DECREASE IN 2 WEEKS AS SEALS AGE. IF STILL UNRESOLVED, REPLACE SHEDLIP WITH 2004 MY PART. WEATHERSTRIP: 3L1Z-7820708-BA(FRONT); 3L1Z- 78253A10-BA (REAR). LATCH: 4L1Z-78219A64/5-AA (RT/LEFT FRONT); 4L1Z-78264A00/1 -AA (RT/LEFT REAR). SHEDLIP: 4L1Z-7851222-AA (RIGHT); 4L1Z-7851223-AA (LEFT).

I PUT BLACK TAPE ON THE LATCH AND IT TOOK ALMOST ALL OF THE NOISE AWAY. I will replace them later , I wanted to see if it would work and it did
  • vic_vinylevic_vinyle Member Posts: 34
    Rjerome:

Mine started doing the same thing over the weekend. Did you find a fix yet?

If so....please post it.

thanks

Vic