Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• don38don38 Member Posts: 4
    Same with my 2003 XLT... The windows sounded like they were "scraping" or "off track" making their way up and down. The dealer says there are no recalls or TSB's. If you hear anything new please post...
    Apparently, this is a thermostat problem. It doesn't show up until you have driven with the A/C on for about 3+ hours. The A/C coil begins to freeze up and the diverter valve acutator for the rear air cannot find the correct position for the A/C available. This goes away when the coil warms up and the t-stat is satisfied...all is OK again. The manufacturer is not saying much about this since the problem never shows up on short trips...
    Same problem with my '03 XLT. Grinding noise and finally stopped going up and down. Check your passenger side for the same thing - according to use. Ford has not issued a recall on this but there should be a recall. I cannot verify if there is an internal Ford Technical Service Bulletin on this one ...yet. Keep your service receipts!
  • mbjbmbjb Member Posts: 39
    razzmaniac,

I have the same problem and my 04 expy is in the shop right now. I do not know what parts are being replaced but there is a TSB for this problem. The TSB # is 17632, release date 03/01/04, power train:axle assembly. Problem is described as an axle whine at speeds of 40-60 mph.

I hope this helps.
  • ironmac1ironmac1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Expy. The gear shift assembly (display) on the column recently broke inside the steering column. The vehicle would still go into gear but the display would read "R" for reverse but actually was in park. Drive was neutral, and so on. If this is your problem, it's a plastic part (although dealer likes to refer to it as a teflon part) that costs about $22.00 (that's $22 U.S. Dollars) and it will be a couple hundred to have them fix. Check it out and see if that's your problem. (p.s. I discovered mine when I could not remove keys or get truck started after parking it. almost rolled into a couple of things since it was hard to remember what gear you were in.)
  • razzmaniacrazzmaniac Member Posts: 22
    Ya, i just got mine back from the dealership . . .took them less then a day to do the work. . . it IS the ring and pinion gears. . .they are slightly off line from the manufacturer. . .they have had numberous problems with this issue and were totally ready with parts for the work.
  • ktcoooktcooo Member Posts: 1
    We have the same problem, found out that the torque converter was shot with metal shavings found in the fluid . Ford sent out a letter reguarding certain year 2001 expedition, F-250,F-350 F450 , F-550, excursions , navigator, about internal problems with the transmission that can result in a loss of second gear and ultimately an inability to move. It started with a clunking noise since the time we bought it , and it had a hard time shifting through gears when increasing the speed onto the highway.In the letter I have received from ford will cover it and says it will be in effect as of oct 2001 "regardless of milage" . Well like everyone else, the warranty was up 4 months ago and taken in several times with nothing found ? $3,500 to fix !
  • wifeand2kidswifeand2kids Member Posts: 2
    Did you have issues with tire wear as well?
    wifeand2kids:

I have not had a problem with unusual tire wear. Are your tire properly filled? This could cause tire wear problems.

razzmaniac:

Yeah I got my expy back in a day and a half. The dealer had to replace the ring/pinion gear and the cluth pack. So far I am enjoying the lack of the axle whine.
    I didnt have wear issues. . .but they said something else in there was racing . . .didnt really pay much attention cause it was covered by the extended warrenty. . . was worth coming to this website and doing some research on the issue before i went cause when i did go, i told them what the problem most likely would be and they said i did my research very well. . .THANKS GUYS. . . :shades:
  • shamblesshambles Member Posts: 1
    How did you get the tail light assembly out of the vehicle? I tried removing the two screws at the top that hold the light in but don't want to force it out. Am I missing a screw somewhere? Thanks.
  • wifeand2kidswifeand2kids Member Posts: 2
    I do all the maintenance at the dealer and keep the tires full, balanced, and rotated, etc... Just noticed unusual outer wear and wondered if it was common. Interesting to note, they claim the tire warranty is only for the first year and 12k miles...pretty limited, considering I bought the car new from Ford.
    Thanks for all of this feedback. I mentioned the clutch pack and they are looking at it this morning.
  • phoenix308phoenix308 Member Posts: 1
    The dealer replaced all of my trim also, it was fadingon the top of the trim.They replaced it in warrenty, but now a year later it is fading again. Good luck. I think it may be the wax affecting it.
  • bmeloybmeloy Member Posts: 1
    We have about 10,000 miles on the Expedition and it has a lot of slack in the drive train at low speeds. If you let off at 5 mph or so and then get back on it, even gently, it does a startling "thud". It is solid but it is a concern to me. I have never experienced this on a car ior truck before. It is an automatic, of course, but this does not seem right to me.

Is this normal? Any ideas what we should do?
  • the_rockkkthe_rockkk Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to remove the rear wiper arm on a 2003 Expedition? I do not see any visible retaining clip or nut.

A little background info... I took the vehicle to the dealer when the rear wiper stopped working. They said the motor was fried. (My vehicle has only 50k miles on it!) I replaced the motor, then found out the wiper still did not work, although I could hear a clicking sound. After a little investigation, I discoved the issue. Basically, the rear wiper arm is nearly frozen. It is so stiff the new motor will not move the arm. If I open the rear glass, I can manually move the arm if i use A LOT of force. I am guessing this is WHY my original motor burned out. :-S I was forced to disconnect the rear motor so it would not accidentlly get burned out while i figure out how to fix the rear wiper...
  • alnanalnan Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 2003 expedition. At the bottom of the rear wiper, where it connects to the body there is a plastic cap that you pry up with a screwdriver. When pryed up it will expose a hex nut. Remove the nut with a box wrench then you will see a snap ring. Remove the snap ring and the entire unit will come off. Soak it real good in WD40, put a little light grease on it and reinstall. I put mine back together without using the snap ring and worked fine. I think the snap ring is the problem. Good luck.....
  • alnanalnan Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 expedition limited that at 45 mph sounds like a window or door is open. Cannot believe an expensive suv such as this dosen't have a quieter ride. Has anyone else experienced this? My dealer is trying to correct the problem but so far is 0 for 3.
  • patcof2patcof2 Member Posts: 12
    The tranny in my Expy just blew completely out! Only 37K miles on this car with excellent maintance and care. How could this be. We are done with Fords. Had a lemon 3/4 ton turbo deisel that blew the tranny at 8k. At least that was under warranty. Got rid of the truck because of one thing after another going wrong with it. Got it taken back under the lemon law. Then stupid us get another Ford! What a mistake. Anybody else have tranny problems on one with such low miles? Taked to Ford customer service and they said OOp sorry-out of luck! :lemon:
  • scdscd Member Posts: 15
    Hopefully it is still under warranty. Take it back to the dealer. There was a defect in the manufacturing. The new panels are made with a "sunscreen" to block harmful rays. They should replace all of the panels so they all match. Search the internet for the Ford "Technical Service Bulletin" (TSB) on this problems. If the dealer doesn't accomodate you, contact Ford.
  • nbxnbx Member Posts: 28
    Not so quick. A few weeks after the above vacuum leak was fixed I noticed that the 4wd was not working and the grinding noise had returned as I was helping my brother tow boats back to the marine store after the annual boat show. While waiting to get the vehicle in to the Ford dealer's shop, I researched the NHTSA website and found a TSB on this problem published even before my vehicle was made. Dealer replaced the 4wd controlling solenoid (near the battery) and all is well again. Wonder why Ford doesn't correct for known problems before vehicles go down the assembly line?

P.s. The above new 4wd solenoid apparently also eliminated an underneath whine at 67-70 that the dealer had been trying to find for 12-15 months. Can't be sure. Earlier rear-end replacement had helped some but had not completely eliminated the whine at 67-70 on a slight grade. Not aware of any other repair but the above solenoid replacement, no new tires, no tire rotation, no other shop work of any kind to explain the whine going away. But, it has at least for now.
  • pontonponton Member Posts: 4
    Have an 04 Expedition with around 25,000 miles....The altenator has gone out twice and just had to have the Tranny replaced. We have to drive on the beach in 4X4 to get to the house. Had a 98 before and it went 150,000 miles with no problems. This one is virtually the same as far as transmission/transfer case goes. different suspension and it drags bottom worse than the other one. Transmission i guess is just a freak thing because the other one was great. Are altenators going out common? - they told us there was sand in it but all of our engines get sand all over them and this is the first time we've had this trouble. Love Forda and Love the Expedition, we just want to keep it a couple weeks without having to take it in
  • nbxnbx Member Posts: 28
    As a present owner of a 2004 Expedition and previoius owner of 2000, please let me offer the below.

First the transmissions for the 1999 and 2004 are not the same unless both 99 and 2004 have the 4.6L engine in which case the unit would be the basic 4R70W. I have read that Mustang hot-rodders like this unit.

If the 99 has the 5.4L, it got the H/D 4R100 that I first saw in a 1988 F-250 truck. It began to appear as the electronic version 2-3 years later in the Bronco. The 4R100 (beefed up as required) is found behind the 6.8 V-10 and in other H/D applications. Expedition with 5.4L got the H/D 4R100 through 2002.

If the 99 and 2004 have the 4.6L engines, the transmissions would be the 4R70W. The 4R70W (probably slightly beefed up) was also used with the 5.4L engine in 2003 Expedition.

In 2004 the 5.4L Expedition got the computer controlled, higher torque version of the 4R70W known as the 4R75E or some such designation. After 45,000 miles I have found the 4R75E has been excellent in my 5.4L 2004 Expedition. It actually changes down on time versus this being a problem with my 2003 Expedition with the 4R70W. 4.6L in 2004 would be the 4R70W.

The 4R75E first showed up in the 2004 Ford F-150 with the higher output 5.4L 3V Triton engine. Seems to be plenty H/D for the lower torque 5.4L 2v engine used in 2004 Expedition. The 4R75E uses semi-synthetic fluid and has a 150,000 first fluid change under normal use.

Alternator. Modern units typically go for 125,000 and way more more before failure. My son just replaced his 2000 Expedition's alternator for the first time at about 160,000. Daughter's 97 T-B has nearly 170,000 on original alternator and it is still going strong.

Hope this info helps. Sorry you are having some problems.
  • wichezerwichezer Member Posts: 1
    Have a 03 Expedition, EB, the steering shutters a low speeds with rt or lf turns, it acts like it is in 4wd on dry pavement? The same problem exist when in 2wd or A4WD? check fuses ok, and it appears that the transfercase solenoid is switching when engaged. Any insights. Is there a problem of it not completely getting out of 4wd mode?
  • shaizmashaizma Member Posts: 3
    Okay, after browsing through about 75 pages of posts hoping to find a solution to my problem, I decided to give up & just post. Anyway, more times than not, my DOOR AJAR light on my '03 Expedition will not turn off so the doors will not lock automatically. Sometimes I lock them with the power lock switch & they stay locked & other times when I lock them with the switch, the driver's door pops unlocked but the rest stay locked. And of course, the lights all stay on until I drive down the street or until they time out while sitting in the driveway (or wherever). Yes, we've done the fire drill thing where we go around the whole bus & make sure EVERY door is shut securely. Still doesn't help. We bought this in February of this year & there's no manual. The dealer is looking for one for me (at least that's what he said). So until he follows through or I break down & buy one, any help from this extremely knowledgeable group would be great!! Thanks a million in advance!! :confuse:
  • kprayorkprayor Member Posts: 1
    I recently had my tires rotated, and told them to turn off the air supsension. Ever since then I have not heard it come on and it rides different. The CK SUSP light does not come on. Could it be a fuse?
    wichezer,

I had a similar problem with my 04 expy and recently had work done at dealer. They replaced the clutch pack on mine and the problem has gone away. You might want to inquiry about this. I am pretty sure that is the problem with yours.
  • steve00gatorsteve00gator Member Posts: 24
    It may sound silly, but has it been turned back on?
  • millerfordmillerford Member Posts: 10
    Hello,

I am having some problems with my SHIFT-ON-THE-FLY 4X4 on my 1998 Expedition. I had it in 4L and it showed the 4x4 on my guage cluster and then LOW RANGE do to 4L, but when I went to switch it to 2 wheel drive and it didnt do a thing. I put in in N and switched it nothing I put it in P turned it off and back on still nothing! I started to take off and for sure it was still in 4x4 because I could hear my tarnsfer case winding up when I was hitting 30 MPH it was really loud. Well, long story short you have to put it in P or N and then back to D and floor it and it comes out of 4x4. When it comes out of 4x4 it makes an awful noise like I have just lost the frontend of my truck. I really want to know what is causing this and has anyone else had this problem???? Please if you know anything about this reply ASPA...Thank you very much!
  • expymanexpyman Member Posts: 4
    My A4WD used to work flawlessly. Then, last year I noticed that when I switched out of 4wd to A4WD, sometimes it would take a little longer than it should. This occurred either in 4WH or 4WL. A few months later, (Dec. '05) it quit working completely. When I turn the selector to 4WH, NOTHING HAPPENS! I don't even hear the clicking that is normally associated(relays, solenoids, etc...). Dead, like a fuse or power supply. Incidently, this happened right after I had the cruise control recall performed at a ford dealer.
    Has anyone had this problem??
    sometimes, not everytime,i brake. . . maybe twice a day, if its a hard brake, i will hear a clunk in the front and SLIGHTLY feel something in the brakes pulling. . . doesnt effect the braking at all. I know the self adjusting brakes do their thing and this usually happens after i hear the groaning from the self adjusting. . . but i thought that was only once a day usually in the morning?? Brakes dont pull and no problems with braking so was wondering if the self adjusting happens more then once a day. Second time usually happens on my way home from work. . . and neither time are RIGHT when i start. . its usually a few miles or so into the drive. :confuse:
    How can you tell if the AWD works at all from 2wd??? Mine makes the clinking noise from AWD to the 4WH and 4WL, but from 2WD to AWD i dont hear anything. . . how can i tell if it works seeing the others work.
    Not sure. My '99 does not have the 2WD setting, only A4WD, 4WH and 4WL. Really bites as I go off road a lot. Severly limits moblity.
  • joedmtijoedmti Member Posts: 2
    Shaizma,

I went crazy trying to fix my door ajar issue on my 99 Expi.
    Get a can of WD-40, make sure u use the little red straw on the nozzle, open the doors, and spray into the door locks. Not where the key goes, (I'm having a tought time coming up with the right words to describe where to spray).
    Open the driver door, look about belt high on the inside edge of the door, thats where the door catches and locks onto the truck body. Spray in that latching mechanism, bet it resolves your problem.
    You may have to hit all 5 doors, I just hit the driver door and resolved the issue!
    Good luck, let us know.

JD
  • joedmtijoedmti Member Posts: 2
    spray wd-40 inside the door, spray it where the door latches to the truck, inside the door locking mechanism
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    but NEVER in the slot where the key goes....
  • highplainsjoehighplainsjoe Member Posts: 4
    Just recently we began having problems starting the suv, we had new keys and key fobs made by dealer 3 to 4 mo ago, we bought it used and only got one key, so that should be ruled out. After locking and unlocking both with the key, key fob and also keyless entry, the suv will sometimes start, sometimes it won't start for 10 to 15 minutes. This does not always happen so the dealer can't fix what's not broken. One other thing, on a bumppy road the doors will sometimes lock and unlock by themselves. Has anybody out there had a problem like this, if so please help.
    Yes. This solution works well. I was having a problem with the
    LR door. I sprayed the latches on all doors anyway. Problem solved!
  • raykjavikraykjavik Member Posts: 1
    I already change rear pads and rotors and I still have that noise but is when is running not when I hit the brake The noise is like the pad is gone like metal with metal somebody can help me with this?
    I have a 2000 Expedition and it sounds like we have the same problem, wont start, no codes, let it sit a while and it will start and run fine. Did you find out what the trouble was. Please reply highplainsjoe
  • millerfordmillerford Member Posts: 10
    We had this same problem with our 1998 GMC Suburban. We would go to start it sometimes and nothing would happen you just turn the key and nothing not even a sound. We took it to a local mechanic and what they thought it was was corrosion on the battery. Sure enough there was corrosion on the battery and they fixed the problem and never happened again... hope that helps!!
  • sumerisumeri Member Posts: 1
    My 03 EB's owners manual says the fuse box is located under the control panal, but there is nothing there?
    Any ideas? My right blinker is fricking out and I think I need to change a fuse.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    If it is just one blinker it may just be a burned out bulb as opposed to a fuse. If one of the right blinker bulbs is burned out it will flash really fast, where as the left will be normal speed.
    Thanks for your time, sometimes we just look right past the little things. I went and checked the battery cables, and there was some corrosion on the neg post. I cleaned both post and the cables, I hope the problem was that simple, we shall see, thanks again... Joe
  • bruce23bruce23 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2000 Expedition for over 3 years and now it is chiming whenever it is started. 5 sets of 6 chimes about 20 seconds after it starts. No warning lights just the chimes. The seat belts are secured. I have even followed the manual regarding turning off the chime for the belts but it did not work. Someone said it is because I have hit 80,000 miles. Anyone else have this happen.
  • fundadfundad Member Posts: 27
    Wow. Just found this sight. Its amazing! Anyway, heres a little background. 2003 4x4 Expy E.B. I have a suspension clunk from the front, drivers side area. This is the 5th expy I have owned and the clunk has always been sway bar endlinks. A simple $20.00 repair. I looked at the sway bar end links on this one and they look fine. Although they look totally different on the newer ones. Anyone have ball joints make clunking sounds on these? How about the shocks? Also, We have a steering wheel shake that starts at 70mph. Had tires balanced to no avail. Has anyone had this issue fixed? It doesnt shake the truck, just the wheel. I can live with it but its just annoying. Thanks, King Craig.
  • elmeromero1elmeromero1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone! I own a 99 ford exp 2wd and it runs flawlessly except for a "knocking" noise at idle. I have isolated the noise to be coming from one of the parts in within the intake manifold area. I am not familiar with domestics, have had and worked on imports all my life. Could it be the egr valve? Would it knock? By the way thankx for any responses... :confuse:
    I read and saw on the DVD that when switching from one 4wd to another 4wd, it may make a noise. What about switching from 2wd to the AWD????? There is no light onthe dash for it and no clicking noise to ensure that anything has been switched. I know the 4wd HI and 4wd LO work cause i switched to them to make sure i feel and hear it. . .and YES. . but when switching to 2wd to AWD i hear nothing. The only thing i noticed is that the miles till E went WAY low in only a few miles. . .HAHAHAHA. . .i know AWD can be bad on the gas, and the feel of the truck felt a little stiffer. Dont wanna gun it on a stop to see if i spin out. . .im afraid of breaking something. . . not likely on the new Expy, but just wondered if there was or should be any tell tale noise. :confuse:
    I have been hitting a lot of blogs trying to get an idea of why my 4wd system stopped working. Your description is very similar to my 99' eb expy. Just before the 4x4 stopped working completly, it became VERY 'finicky'. A couple of times it looked like I would'nt be able to get it out of 4x4. What I'm going to try is: remove the rear cover on the xfer case shift motor. You will need to get tamper-proof torx for this. Clean the contacts, disk and fingers using a pencil eraser. Replace and see what happens. I have seen this several times in these repair blogs. Might work for you. I will probably try this tonight.
    s
  • drkknightdrkknight Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody else have any experiences where the AC makes a hissing sound and then stop blowing cold air? I just had my AC serviced, recharged, checked for leaks...the whole nine yards a month ago but still does the same thing.
  • fundadfundad Member Posts: 27
    That setting is NOT all wheel drive. It is AUTOMATIC 4 wheel drive. That said, it just readies the systym to activate 4 wheel drive when there is rear wheel slippage. When that occures, you whill hear it ingage into 4 wheel drive. A4WD is just a automatic setting so you dont have to keep switching from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive when ever you need to. It does it all by its self.