Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cheapdad000cheapdad000 Member Posts: 33
    Looking to buy 04-06 Expy with 75-100K miles. What items should I be most concerned with prior owner having maintained? What part failures should I anticipate over the next 3-5 years of ownership? I will be turning my own wrench for most simple repairs - tune-up items, O2 sensors, alternator, suspension components, not comfortable yet digging into the engine for head gasket type work or any transmission type work. Have the engines/transmissions been reliable on these vehicles? Are they prone to any mysterious electrical gremlins?
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    The plug change inteval is 100k. It is a big job for a DIYer, people report it taking 8-10 hours. There is a big issue with snapping plugs off in the head which makes the job take a lot longer. This typically happens in #4 and #8, which are the hardest to work on. It is a $300 job at the dealership. Tranny service interval is 30k, so depending on what you find you should see if the proper number of services have been done.
  • wedo43wedo43 Member Posts: 14
    Plan on replacing the coil packs per many of the threads here. You can get them on Ebay for about 10% of what the dealership will charge. These and new plugs a chore but not to bad if you have swivel socket gear.
    One thing I had to replace to the tune of about $1,500.00 was the intake manifold. Freakin thing is plastic, rots from the same moisture that affects the coil packs, and eventually leaks antifreeze.
    I've warped front disc rotors on every Ford SUV I've owned. I finally replaced this one's with Powerslot Rotors and Hawk Performance pads. Costs were higher than the cheap Chinese junk you get from local auto stores but about the same overall to have someone else do you brakes for you, ie you'd break even if you used these and did it yourself. The thing about them though was I got 90K miles or so out of the pads!
    I've got 160K on my '03 and that's about it. It's been a really good truck and baby bus.
    edited March 2010
    wedo,
    Thanks for the feedback/advice. Did the intake manifold replacement include any other services - as the parts themselves (manifold/gasket/etc.) look to be ~$200? I can't believe they made it out of plastic. Is the engine setup a 1 ignition coil per cylinder? I have dealt with that with my Mazda MPV, and in order to get to half of them (and the spark plugs), you need to pop off the intake manifold. Any tools I need (like swivel sockets) I get really cheap at Harbor Freight.
    always,
    Thanks for the feedback. Is the tranny service a drop the pan and change the filter - or just a cycle fresh ATF fluid through the system? Does lathering the plugs in Anti-sieze prevent future plug snappings?
    edited March 2010
    You should always drop the pan and do the filter in my opinion. I always go to the dealer because their flush equipment will do a complete change of all the fluid. You should be able to tell if the pan has ever been taken down if you find a rubber plug in it. The plug is from when it was built and if they did changes by dropping the pan they would have taken it out and chucked it. Antisieze does help. then again the next change is 100k away.

It is one coil per cylinder. Some people change them all with the plugs, some do them as they fail. The ebay equivalents have gotten good reviews on the other forums I frequent and are as pointed out, around 13% of the cost of dealer parts. The other thing that goes bad is the boot on the coil pack, and not the actual coil pack. Those are a few bucks each and can often times be the solution to a CEL.

I had a '99 previously, and currently have an '03 and an '04. The 03 is the best car I've ever had. The '04 is my wife's best car ever.
  • dano126dano126 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2005 Expedition, bought with 64K on it. Its been a very reliable SUV. At this point its got 96,600 miles. The other day the steering was feeling different. After turning, the steering wheel seemed slow to return. This happened for a couple of days. I took it to my local Ford dealer and they flushed the power steering system. This didn't seem to make a difference right away. The following day, it was magically better, like it was never bad. Thinking too soon, the day after that it was back to the lag in return steering. Now its worse, when turning, it is easy then hard, easy then hard, then fails to want to return. There is no noise associated with the actions of the steering system. I've talked with a mechanic, he told me to open the reservoir to the pump, while running to see if I could see the fluid circulating...which it was, until the wheel was turned all the way to the turn stops and held there, then you could see that the fluid appeared to stop moving.
    Another thing he told me was to pull the presure side line off the pump and there would be a spring and screen. Check the screen to make sure it wasn't gunked up. He also said something about a check valve, but by then, my cell connection was degrading.
    So, if anyone has any information about the Expedition steering system, please don't hesitate to contact me. By the way, I checked Auto Zone for a rack...$376.00!!!!YIKES...but looks like I could do it my self if thats the problem.
    Thanks,
    dano126
  • RichardluRichardlu Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 expedition with no compression in number 5 cylinder. I took it to the dealer to check out and he said I needed a new engine after doing some test. He wanted 7000 dollars for a engine with 12000 miles on it, mine has about 90000. I then took it to a friends garage and he pulled the heads and the problem is a weak valve spring causing one of the valves not to seal. I called the dealer service manager to give him a peice of my mind and he said they had so many problems with that engine, that they had found that when they repaired a leaking valve that over fifty percent of the time they ended up having to go back and replace the engine and it ended up costing much more than just replacing the engine to start with. I'm having the heads redone at the machine shop but after talking to the service manager I can't decide wheather or not I need to just trade the expedition off or take my chances. The block looks like new.
    Has anyone else had this type of problem?
  • kam7kam7 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! Ever find out what the problem was with your steering? I'm having the same problem. Mechanic flushed power steering lines but still have the same problem. Worried about safety. Anything I can tell my mechanic to look for?
  • gog_1gog_1 Member Posts: 5
    hey just wondering if you solve your problem... i have the same problem.... 2000 expedition 4.6 v8... just had a tune-up.. problem still there ...only when going up hill it looses power and the check engine light flashes :cry: ... please let me know.. thanks :)
  • trav622trav622 Member Posts: 1
    I have the 1999 expedition AWD automatic transmission. Transmission is popping only when under a load to accelerate or pass. Makes a whining noise while in reverse but hits all of the gears and shifts fine. There are no warning lights (check engine, ABS) on and push button OD works fine. Fluid level is good and I recently changed out fluid and filter but with no improvement. So, i dont have a clue????? All the tires have equal tread and pressure.
    you might wanna check the gas pump... also consider a tune up with gas filter, spark plugs, etc.... good luck :shades:
    edited September 2010
    I tried to respond to this yesterday, but for some reason the response didn't get posted. What do you mean by "popping"? If you mean the 4WD is engaging I seriously doubt that is coming from the tranny. The tranny is not what engages 4WD. The wheel slip indicators direct the tranfer case to distribute power to the front wheels. I would suspect a sensor problem or an issue with the transfer case. I guess back yo my question, what do you mean by popping?
  • armymp31e50armymp31e50 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Ford Expedition, whenever it rains, not drizzle but serious rain, I have several problems occur. First, the biggest problem is my defrost will come on, even if the vehicle is not running. What is the cause of this? How can i repair or fix it. Second, the radio will not work/ works sporatically. Lastly, i feel water dripping on my foot as I drive from under the dash. I am not sure if these are related, however, it only occurs during these wet periods. Any help in solving these issues would be greatly appreciated.
    sounds like the water leak is provoking all of these problems.. might wanna check that... good luck :)
  • cinch1777cinch1777 Member Posts: 2
    Can you say deja vu? I'm having that problem right now with my 05 expedition. Took it to one garage and they said that there was debris and deep scratches in the cylinder and that we needed a new motor. Well, here was the problem. The car starts right up and just fine and after awhile of driving that shaking stops and go's. So we took it to another shop and so far they say the cylinder is clear of any debris and they couldn't see any type of scratches. They are as we speak looking at the valve and spring. So as soon as I hear something I'll post it. it's good to know that someone is having the same issue.
  • badazzmofojoebadazzmofojoe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Expedition and the metal pipe in the back left going to the heater core broke. I have taken all the bolts out of the manifold. I am just wondering if I need to take off the fuel rail and fuel injectors, and how do I go about doing this efficiently? Will I need to replace the fuel injectors afterward?
  • wannarunwannarun Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    I have a '98 expedition 4.6, 4x4 been a great suv.The check engine light been on for awhile now no hesitation or nothing runs fine but can't get it inspected with light on. Diagnotics said running lean on bank 1 and bank 2.Was told O2 sensors were bad,so replaced all 4.(at 50 bucks a pop ) And cleared code stayed off for a day then came back on. Seems like when you step on the gas it pops on. Any help before taking to a garage (for probably an endless run of tests and money.)
    sounds like it might be ur injectors.. but make sure so u can go to ur nearest autozone and have them chenck with a scanner.. they might be able to get a trouble code.. good luck :shades:
  • pacobpacob Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 expedition roll over with the 5.4 engine - what years are compatilbe to use my running gear ?
    Probably 97-02. Not 03.
  • expedition2007expedition2007 Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Expedition will sometimes chug or hesitate while driving. It doesn't do this all of the time. I have taken it in the the Ford repair shop 3 times and even while hooking up their computer they still can't find anything wrong with it. It's odd becasue it will only do it after driving for an hour or so. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
  • smokeater280smokeater280 Member Posts: 1
    Yashoda,

I was wondering if you have ever found out the problem for the acceleration problem. I myself just recently have had the same problem with my 2001 expedition. Driving on the expressway and the rpms continued to climb and the vehicle continued to accelerate and had to use the brakes to slow down.

any thoughts are appreciated
  • lpcraneman1lpcraneman1 Member Posts: 2
    we purchased a 2000 expedition and on the way home the car hit about 3500 rpms and the car acted like someone put the brake on or even like theres a governor on the vehicle. we drove it a few more times it drove fine today i drove it and it did the same thing you hit the 3500 rpm range it behaves like theres a governor any ideas on this?
  • 03expo03expo Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Expedition Eddie Bauer (5.4 engine). I noticed every once in a while when I try starting my truck it would make a LOUD grinding sound as if the truck was already running. Once I flip the switch over and try cranking the truck it would start right up. Well now it's happening even more and harder to start my truck. I was told it could be the starter or the fly wheel going out. If anyone has had similar problems and had it fixed pls share your solution....
  • amtrnds87amtrnds87 Member Posts: 1
    re: turning got worse hard then easy then hard then easy again.. steering column lower shaft has two u joints in it on of them is seized up. remove and replace about 160 at dealership. should solve problem
  • sammi16sammi16 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with 2004 expedition and it seems to be getting worse have you found the problem?
  • dr1953dr1953 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with extended cranking time on my 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4L Eddie Bauer. I have changed the fuel filter, air filter and had the fuel system cleaned. When the engine is running there is no problem with power. what do I look for now?
    check your spark plugs and wires.. good luck! :shades:
  • red_rider374red_rider374 Member Posts: 1
    I had this exact same problem with the exact year/make/model.

This is your fuel pump assembly unit which sits op top of the gas tank. cost me about 670 bucks to replace.
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    I am wondering if anyone out there can enlighten me on the latest Ford recalls for the F-150 pickups and why the Expeditions are not included? The 2004 F-150s were recalled for faulty air bags but not the 2004 Expeditions. Both have identical steering wheels/interiors and I would assume use the same air bags. Now the gas tank straps on the 2004 F-150 are being recalled for excessive corrosion but not the 2004 Expedition. I looked under my 2004 Expy last night and having been originally titled in Ohio and now Michigan both tank straps are corroded but not part of the recall. i have a friend with a 2004 F-150 crewcab and the truck is the same as my 2004 Expedition except for the rear suspension. Are we Expedition owners losing due to lower sales volumes and lack of complaints to the NTSB?
  • majicdawnmajicdawn Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 ford expedition, lately when driving it, it has started to cut out and die. By chance we found that by taking the gas cap off, it idles back up and runs fine. it is getting to be an issue, we ran diagnostics with no clear answer, replaced fuel pump, cleaned the valve lines coming out of the tank, peplaced some valve under the hood? (not sure why, but thats what the parts house suggested) We can not seem to figure it out! Another weird thing is that we drove it about 50 miles in the rain (cool outside) and it never even stuttered, but later that day when it got hot, it did the same thing again. It dies and wont start unless you open the cap. What can it be? :confuse:
  • jamiegreen315jamiegreen315 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Expedition surges as soon as I start it. The ABS lights comes on, the speedomitor (sorry sp) and RPM move up and down, the radio cuts in and out, and the windows are difficult to roll up. This has been happening for the past few months and at one point it stalled and would not start. I heard a tcking sound at that point and this has not happened again. Please tell me what I can do!!!
  • tinamjtinamj Member Posts: 3
    Hello, We have a Ford Exp and for the past few months we have noticed a clicking noise when driving. The noise will get faster as we accelerate. The oil is fine and has even been changed again recently. Any clue what can be causing this?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Have a mechanic check it out, could be a valve.

First thing to do is to find out whether it is inside the engine, or outside. Disconnect the serpentine belt and start the engine. If the ticking is still there, it's inside the engine. If the noise has stopped, then the problem is one of the externally mounted devices (e.g. alternator, AC compressor, etc).
    Thanks so much for answering, I took it to a auto place on post (we are in Germany right now) but they didn't know what it was and didn't feel comfortable looking into the engine so they told me to take it to a Ford Dealership. If it is inside the engine is it something serious that may cost a lot of money?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    edited August 2011
    Has the potential to be expensive. Since no-one can hear your engine over the internet or do any of the diagnostic techniques that a mechanic can....it's hard to know. Could be something relatively easy to fix......or it could be a major problem that could turn catastrophic if not corrected.

As an example, if you have a piston rod bearning going bad, they'd have to open up the engine to fix it, which would be expensive. If on the other hand you drive it and the bearing totally fails and the rod punches thru the engine block, then it's catastrophic and you will need a new engine. If it is something external to the engine, would be cheaper.

Point is, nothing to fool around with, get a trusted/competent mechanic to figure out what the problem is.
    Thanks so much. I have an appointment with Ford Monday, so I hope it is something not to major.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question :)
  • bigeddienycbigeddienyc Member Posts: 1
    I have this problem with my expedition too. It is an 04. I had that popping noise that has now advanced to something like the sound of a machine gun. However, it started out just like the pop noise you described in this post. Did you ever find out what the problem is?
  • cinch1777cinch1777 Member Posts: 2
    Easy $20 dollar fix. It's called the rear actuator. You can Google it. You'll find a lot of posts. It took me about two hours to get it replaced. But I took off panels that I shouldn't have. Let me know if u need more help.
    There are two rear blend door actuators - one for floor to ceiling, one for temperature. You can determine which it is by changing the rear controls. When the noise stops, that's the one that is doing it. The floor to ceiling actuator takes about 10 minutes to change through the change tray on top of the right rear wheel well, the temperature control takes between an hour and two to do, depending on how you choose to get at it (remove trim or contort through the available openings).
  • msjackiee1msjackiee1 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem with expedition 04 I have tried 3 aftermarket starters with no success .
  • dking70dking70 Member Posts: 1
    Having an issue with my expedition when attempting to start the engine. when I first try to start the motor all dash lights go out starter doesn't even to attempt to try. turn the key back off and try to start again all gauges max out and the return to normal then i hear something like a relay resetting. has anyone had this problem and how did ya fix it. so far i've replaced battery, start relay and had the starter tested.
  • exp2001exp2001 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue. 2001 ford exp. eb. Any luck getting your fixed?
    Thanks
  • msjackiee1msjackiee1 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like a computer
  • vicks03vicks03 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Hi I have a 2004 Expedition. I had left my windows down so I went out to let them and they would not go up, I started the truck to see if it was the battery, then I noticed my instrument panel was not working. I then I noticed the radio did not work either. That night I also noticed the automatic lights did not work. I have checked all the fuses and they are good.

These problems all started at the same time. Has anyone had this problem before?
    Items not working: Automatic Lights, Dash gauges, windows and radio.
  • tyshauntyshaun Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2011
    This post concerns my 2003 Eddie Bauer expedition, with 160, 000 miles. I purchased a new batterry and alternator on Aug/2011. Last month my truck wouldn't start, the batterry died, so I got a jump and was told it was the battery, I was under warranty so they replaced it with a new one, Few days later, the batterry dies again, I went to the same store (Advance Auto) but at another location and they replaced the battery. The next day the truck almost didnt start but started and I went to Advance Auto to get a test report on the battery, alternator and charger, the report came back everything was working fine. Now the next day it again started slow with the speedometer and other gages going haywire like it has done the other few times that i forgot to mention. I drove it, and it drove fine but i know by tommorow either its going to be a worst slow start or the battery will be drained again. I need to know what the hell is going on and what is draining my battery. I dont leave any lights on in the truck and this will be the fourth battery I will need to replace. I dont think its the battery but something internal. Before I bring it to a shop where I know they might not tell me or fix the right problem without me shelling out hundreds of dollars, I hope someone with expertise on this matter can shed some light". Please get back to me ASAP!!!!!
    How is your rear wiper working? The rear wiper motor is a common phantom battery drain. Even if it is working properly it could still be the problem. You could try pulling the fuse and see if the problem goes away.
  • tyriptyrip Member Posts: 13
    my anti freeze was leaking so i had the intake manifold gasket repaired,now a week later im still losing anti freeze,why is this happening on my 1997 ford expedition 4.6 liter engine 4x4
  • lnchne1lnchne1 Member Posts: 1
    Go buy a air filter it will cost you $16.00 or so, go buy an IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor or Air Charge sensor (about $7.00 from Rock Auto plus shipping or Pepboys will have it for $16.00 and buy a performance chip for $25.00 on eBay. It will take you about 10 minutes to install everything.

For $50.00 or so you SUV will run fantastic.
    It took me a while to figure it out but my 2001 Expedition runs better than off the show room.....its like driving a car. No jerking transition form gear to gear and more power