Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

1323334353638»

Comments

• aaronflotteaaronflotte Member Posts: 2
    Well I have A ford Expedition and three parts of the truck dont work right and I hecked the psi (130) and the fire plug (0k). I have problems with the engine and I need to know how to fix it.
  • kenth2012kenth2012 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2003 expedition with 230K miles at auction and the vehicle seems to be in great condition, i.e. body is great, runs great, etc. I had to replace the alternator and the hood latch, but other than that so far it seems fine and I'd like to keep it that way.

When I had the alternator replaced at the dealership they said that it was "due for maintenance" (no kidding) and they recommended a laundry list of things that came to about $700. (stupidly I didn't write down the list) I have no issue spending money on the vehicle if it is needed, but I don't want to spend money just because the dealership says I should.

Is there a recommended list of maintenance items that anyone can recommend for this vehicle given its high mileage? I should add that this was a state owned vehicle, so I am assuming it had regular maintenance done but I have no documentation to back that up. Also, I did take it to have an oil change, fluids check, etc done the first day I bought it. Any advice appreciated.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2012
    The Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide will tell you what should be done when. It only goes up to 150,000 miles though, so you'll have to go back in time, say to 130k or 30k, and start over.

Try the link in How To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online if you need a manual.
  • diesel1000diesel1000 Member Posts: 1
    Hey did you ever figure out what the problem was? I m having the same exact problem with my auto lights windows and gauges. plz help
  • tyshauntyshaun Member Posts: 13
    It was the back windshield wiper draining the battery, it was to expensive to replace so I had the mechanic disconnect it, no battery draining after that.
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    you're welcome
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you live in Southern California, have Ford Sync or Cadillac CUE, and can take a tv crew for a short ride Sunday afternoon or Monday morning, please email PR@edmunds.com by Saturday, June 23, 2012.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• 2000exped12000exped1 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    I have a 2000 Expedition 5.4L and recently had my intake manifold replaced due to stop a coolant link. They also replaced the ignition coils. Driving off all seemed fine but I noticed a slight vibration in the gas paddle, brake paddle was fine. After two days I now hear slight chatter from the engine. Keep in mind I never had these issues before and the vehicle never ran hot. Any ideal what the issue could be? I'd like to have some idea before I return it.

Thanks in advance.
  • pittmikepittmike Member Posts: 1
    I am going to replace a rear wheel bearing assembly tomorrow on 2003 Expedition. I need to know what size is the large nut holding the assembly to the drive axle? I want to be sure I buy the right socket. Also, if you have any other warnings or tips on that job great.

Thanks.

PS why are the wheels so hard to get off of this truck sometimes?
  • bsattbsatt Member Posts: 1
    2000 Exp EB, ~150k, everything was running well then suddenly I made a ht turn & i lost power & wheels wouldmct turn or engage! No indicator lights, starts fine, nothing snapped, fell off oreemed tobrral. I step on the gas and transmission won't send power to the wheels. Tried restarting, same prob. Starts up fine, i put in drive amd just cam't go :( Help! Please...
  • firstwatchmanfirstwatchman Member Posts: 14
    looking for a rear end for 99 expedition S 935 C-1 739757 D 0 2 373 G.R 975 RING SIZE
  • whitesmokewhitesmoke Member Posts: 2
    That sound is your ABS system doing a self check .... I have a 2001 and it does the same thing every time I start it up
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    His noise is happening on shut down. BTW I've never heard an ABS system do a self check in 20 + years of owning Fords.
  • tschroedertschroeder Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    Sorry if this is a duplicate, still getting used to this forum.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited June 2013
    Here's what he's talking about: it's under the dash.

• cobcob Member Posts: 210
    Looks like an after market add on. My be alarm or air suspension over ride switch.
    I checked on air suspension and THAT switch is supposed to be on the passenger side under the glove box area. Good guess, though. :P
  • tschroedertschroeder Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Expedition with running boards. Near the front tire, on the bottom of the running board, is what looks like a jack point. It is cup-shaped, exactly like my floor jack.

When I use that point to jack up the truck, the running board flexes a little. I think it looks worse than it actually is, and when I drop the car, it returns to the original location (or very close).

My question, is this a good jack point for the front-end?
    That can't be right. The jack points should be on the frame, behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheel, with little arrows telling you where to place the jack.
  • alexinflalexinfl Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    Does someone know if there should be a hose attached to this. If so could this cause a cylinder misfire? I seem to recall there being a small hose attached here. Its on a 2005 Expedition. Thanks for any help.

http://tinyurl.com/kc9tm5f
  • alexinflalexinfl Member Posts: 2
    I believe the jack points are actually marked on the frame. I know the spot you are looking at on the running boards, that is not a safe place to put your jacks.
    yeah, some kind of vacuum switch, and it should have a hose attached.

Could it cause a misfire? That depends on when/how that missing vacuum line is used. It wouldn't be my first guess for a misfire, no---more likely it would cause a rough idle.
  • tyshauntyshaun Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2003 Ford expedition and when the AAA guy did that, It bent the front tip of the running board really bad. I had to keep standing and jumping on it to get back to almost the same place but you can still tell it was bent.
  • karhamkarham Member Posts: 2
    i went to a local dealership yesterday to see about possibly trading my 04 exped xlt 4wd in on something a little smaller and more fuel efficient. when the guy doing the test drive for the valuation came back in and told me my 4wd transfer case was bad. he said he would not even take it off the parking lot he was afraid it would fall to pieces (he heard grinding and such, I have never heard it but don't use the 4wd much either). the way he tested it was to engage the awd and the make a hard u-turn in the parking lot. my question is was he wrong in testing it on pavement in the first place and was this a ploy they use.
    yes, i am a woman and being from an area that did not require
    a 4wd ( i now live in the mountains) this was my first one i have owned, so my knowledge is limited to only using them when i get stuck, lol! i have been told you never test a 4wd on pavement like that. someone please clarify. thanks
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    I have the same vehicle and the manual says you can drive in awd on dry pavement. The front axles will not engage unless the rear wheels slip. It says not to engage 4wd hi or lo on dry pavement. My guess is that he is trying to take advantage of you because you are a female. Bring it to another repair shop and get a second opinion. Then never do business with this clown again unless you find out he was right. I have never heard of testing the transfer case in a gear setting that doesn't even engage the transfer case.
  • firstwatchmanfirstwatchman Member Posts: 14
    yea hes right dont drive in 4wheel on dry pavement u can on dirt but the pavement sticks to the tires and can cause the transfer gears to break because theirs no give all the weight of the suv transfers on the tires that are on the inside of the turn
  • karhamkarham Member Posts: 2
    i did write the salesperson and told him of my findings to which he replied and apologized that we could not make the deal and he also told me that the guy doing the testing was not a mechanic.... yep this is why i do not trust big dealerships.... never trust someone who says trust them...
  • ihab1ihab1 Member Posts: 1
    i have ford expedition 2010 when i start it the engine Irregular and one of my exhaust getting too much hot and i receive all these error codes can some body help me in this .

error codes : p1000 p1336 p2197 b1600 u2511 u2472 u2013 b1681 b1318 b2097 u0100
  • krd327krd327 Member Posts: 2
    the console that has the compass and fuel mileage has stopped working. I pushed the buttons to see what was going on and it just lit up for a second like it had a low battery. any ideas on how to get going again??