Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bodymanbodyman Member Posts: 23
    The fact is, you may have to wait for another seat frame to come in. The lower frame does come with all of the mechanical components attached, and it is not an item that dealers stock. However, they (Ford) are liable for replacement at no cost to you, and under the cicumstances, I would demand a comparable loaner. From what I have learned from others, it is a typical response from Customer Service to deny there are any similar problems reported by others. This (psycologically) singles you out, and makes you feel alone in your problems. Don't fall for it. It is THEIR problem, and THEY have to resolve it. Remember, this is the Co. that denied Pinto's would explode!
    Keep track of the total time you are without your vehicle, and ANY time it goes in to have a problem checked, don't leave until you see a ticket/work order made out on it. Mine was in a couple of times to be checked out, and no ticket was made. This means no documentation. I have since learned my lesson. Good luck, and don't give up.
  • lclark22lclark22 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my '00 Exp Eddie Bauer 2wd for 2 yrs. Almost at 30K miles; I've noticed at slow speeds,what seems to be a "whine" until the speed picks up. Dlrshp says they do not hear it and return vehicle to me each time. I also experience popping noises in front end when making turns. Has anyone else experienced this or had complaints that lead to a fix by the dealership?
  • metallica01metallica01 Member Posts: 8
    Hi. I had the same problem with mine. I had the dealer check it out and they found that these bolts called crown bolts were lose. they tightened them up and all is well. Have Them check it out. Good luck J.
  • aglass611aglass611 Member Posts: 2
    For all those who have mentioned a vibration problem that appears to be wheel-related, here's a thought - I have a 98 4X4 Eddie Bauer and experienced a vibration from the front end recently that was a bit puzzling at first. Inspected for imbeded rocks, tire balancing, weak shocks, and bad front end suspension members without success. Then a garage mechanic noticed that one of the Goodyear tires was "feathered", an irregular surface usually caused by incorrect toe-in (alignment). The condition takes time to develop, but 10,000 miles can do it. I suspect it was caused by either hitting a curb or an incorrect alignment done by a local shop. The tire may also have had an internal flaw, but replacement cured the problem.
  • tfeathertfeather Member Posts: 1
    Any suggestions on handling the rust under the doors issue?

I just bought a 99 and found the same problem indicated in msg 30. My 93 Montero has less rust than this 99 Ford.

Of course I bought it anyway because asside from the rust the car is perfect.
  • expeexpe Member Posts: 1
    The vibration w/my 2001 Expedition is different from that discussed by everyone else on this page. Only have 16,500 miles. Vibration happens during 50-65mph but lasts only approx 1 second. Sounds and feels almost like driving over brick pavers. For example, target speed is 65mph. Continues to drive and shift normally until reach target speed and does final shift. Short vibration occurs after this final shift.
  • homebizhomebiz Member Posts: 5
    I had a similar vibration in my '96 Mercury Grand Marquis. It was like driving over a washboard road. The solution was to have the transmission fluid flushed and refilled. That ended the vibration problem.
  • radiogeekradiogeek Member Posts: 9
    The vibrations you seem to be talking about are similar to what I had in my 92 Town Car. Get your transmission fluid replaced soon. I went a while with those vibrations (happening occasionally) and then the transmission just crapped out. Cost over at thousand to fix. Dealer asked if I'd been experiencing the vibrations--where it sounds like I'm riding over a rumble strip. He said that I should've changed the transmission fluid once I heard the vibrations.
  • skippypskippyp Member Posts: 1
    We bought a used 99 EB 4wd expedition with 47000 miles on it. No problems until 48000 miles when two things happened- When I shift into R or Drive there is a click in the dash & the radio goes out (lights&all) als the rear wipers go out. Shift to N or Park & back on- into gear & back off. None of the TSBs seem to fit, anyone with suggestions?
    Also, I hear what sounds like something winding down in the engine when slowing to a stop- like a soft jet engine powering down. If that the fuel pump? or is there something else running under the hood?
    Finally, I bought a 4yr/100,000 total vehicle mile warranty from autoexam (one choice)... we'll see just how good it is...
  • mgheronmgheron Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 99 Expedition brand new and it now has only 32,000 miles but the right hand head gasket has needed to be replaced twice so far. Once at 12,000 miles and then again at 30,000 miles 2 months ago.
    Now the transmission has gone out, won't back up and trans fluid smells real burnt.

All in only 32,000 miles. The dealership won't even talk about causes.

Anyone know of similar problems or what I can do?

Ford's customer "hot-line" is a complete joke, absolutely useless. They won't even talk about on=going problems or root cause's of such.

Any suggestions short of setting fire to the vehicle would be appreciated.

mgheron
    I bought a 99 Expedition brand new and it now has only 32,000 miles but the right hand head gasket has needed to be replaced twice so far. Once at 12,000 miles and then again at 30,000 miles 2 months ago.
    Now the transmission has gone out, won't back up and trans fluid smells real burnt.

Ford's customer "hot-line" is a complete joke, absolutely useless. They won't even talk about on=going problems or root cause's of such.

mgheron
    bought a 99 Expedition brand new and it now has only 32,000 miles but the right hand head gasket has needed to be replaced twice so far. Once at 12,000 miles and then again at 30,000 miles 2 months ago.

mgheron
  • haemonhaemon Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone experienced a grumbling noise (which seems to come from the front of the vehicle) typically immediately after you start the vehicle, or immediately after the vehicle is shut off. If so, what was the problem and how did you fix it?

Thank you.
  • shand32783shand32783 Member Posts: 76
    Haemon... What year and model is your Expy? Do you have load leveling on it? If so that is probably what it is. I wondered that too. I have an 01' EB loaded and when i start and sometimes shut off engine i get that. Freaked me out @ first but it's just leveling itself. 1 thing to make you notice is park in front of a garage and just stare at the from of your hood. Mentally mark where it is and then turn on your engine if you look closely you can see the front end lower or raise. Hope thats what it is.

Shane
  • suemassuemas Member Posts: 2
    We have a 99 Expedition in which the engine keeps dying especially in rainy or cold weather. please help with any advice-we've changed the fuel filter and my husband is now in the process of changing the spark plugs
  • metallica01metallica01 Member Posts: 8
    Perhaps you should take your expedition to a mechanic so that he can look at the throttle configuration. Unless your husband knows how to do it. given that the engine keeps dying out I might think that the spark plugs have nothing to do with it. the problem might be the throttle. The engine might not be getting enough air and therfore dying or the sensor in there might have gone bad. most likly it is the adjusment screws that have to be re-set so that the throttle can stay open therefore allowing the engine to breathe. I would suggest taking the vehicle to a ford ealer or such place that is qualified to work on thier vehicles. good luck
  • suemassuemas Member Posts: 2
    We were able to find a similar problem when we looked at the F150 Forum. The IAC was clogged-taking it off and cleaning it with some carb cleaner worked miracles-No more problems and it's driving like new again
  • sanseisansei Member Posts: 1
    I've had a 93' Explorer, since given to my sister and it has 223,000 miles on it and it still hasn't had a major problem. It doesn't even burn any oil. I also have a 97' Expedition with 233,000 miles and again never a problem. I'm still getting about 14 mpg hwy/city. I'm expecting my new 03' in a few days and hope I have the same good fortune I've had with my past two.
  • gmiller7gmiller7 Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering if any 2003 Expedition owners have had problems with Advancetrac-Traction Control Systems. The day after purchasing my Expedition the Advancetrac indicator came on and message center informed to check Advancetrac. Dealer had it for 2 days and was waiting for parts, but after nagging exchanged it for identical model. A week later the same problem occured on the new unit. It was returned to the shop where it was reprogramed in 5 minutes. It has been approximately 2 weeks and now the problem is re-occuring. Please advise if anyone has had similar problems.
  • informerinformer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 expedition also and experienced a similar sound when turning. It appeared to be coming from the front, but after further review the sound was found to be transfering from the rear. You should take your vehicle back to the dealer and have the rear inspected. My vehicle now needs a new rear. Having only had 4,000 miles on it, this is definitely not a good thing.
  • roy12986roy12986 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know where the headlight sensor is on the 1998 Expedition, it controls my auto on lights?? They only come on when its dark enough. Trying to find where the sensor is located?
    Also can I change the fog lamp bulbs to another color like amber?? Anyone with suggestions. Thanks
  • majkichmajkich Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 expedition. From driving it off the lot, there was a helicopter noise in the front left end. This progressed to a loud growling and grinding noises. After returning it to the FORD garage for defects, the differential was replaced. Again, 1 week later, the same noises re-surfaced after being put into 4 wheel drive. The differential was replaced with 900 miles on it, and now it has 1800 with the same problem. Again, this was returned to FORD and now from what we are told, FORD is not repairing the vehicles until they have a fix. We are told to drive the vehicle, but I cannot imagine it is not causing more damage to drive. FORD MOTOR COMPANY was called, but they do not respond to you or even acknowledge you have a problem, other than the person you talk to when you call. Is there anyone out there with this same problem. Our FORD garage says there is, but we have yet to find anyone.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I can't tell from your description if you have the same problem as a lot of us by try this link.

http://flatratetech.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000558

Let me know if it doesn't work.

• alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    The headlight sensor is dead center on the horizontal surface of the dash about 3" out from the base of the windshield. It is a round disc next the little rectangular grille.
  • hpiercehpierce Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem about four weeks after delivery of my 03 EB Expy. They first did the "reprogram" of the card not once but twice. Finally, order a new module, which sits in the middle of the car on the floor under the center console under the CD player and storage. Thats what fixed the problem. It took 3 weeks for the Ford Dealer in Atlanta to make the repair. I made the purchase through a friend that owns the Lincoln Dealership outside of Atlanta. After the repair I talked to him and he told me they had replaced three modules on the Navigator so far. Good luck.
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    The grumbling is probably the air suspension working to keep your truck at ride height. It should come on after you start the vehicle and 45 minutes after you turn it off. If you are not sure if you have the air suspension, look under the glove compartment. There should be an off/on switch.If you have the switch then you have the air suspension in your truck. You can also look under the rear of the vehicle. Hope that helps.
  • pegramjmpegramjm Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 99 EB Expedition. I normally wouldn't buy such a large vehicle, but I have 4 kids and needed the space. The author of msg#53 seems to have a method to the madness of controlling the beast. Please share your techniques. Also, does anyone know how I can get my hands on a manual. I barely know how to work lights and stereo. Also, I notice slight vibration when pressing brakes---I am not even sure if the vehicle has ABS. Who knows?
  • grammycrackergrammycracker Member Posts: 1
    Our 98 Expedition will just up and die and will not start again. We've taken it to the Ford Dealer 8 times, its has cost me another $5,000 in parts and labor. Every computer module has been replaced the anti theft locks have been replace. The ford dealer says he can't figure it out. We travel back and forth from NH to IL and we were at a toll booth in OHIO and it just quit. The toll booth had to be shut down and we had to call a wrecker and have it towed to a ford dealership there and they can't tell us whats wrong. Any body have any suggestions???
  • jsykesjsykes Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased EB 03 expedition 3 days ago and advancetrac light just came on and won't go off- we only have 200 miles on the car. This seems like it is going to be a huge headache!
  • slipshifting1slipshifting1 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at purchasing a 98 Expy (first ford) with 110K hwy miles. Vehicle looks & sounds like new but in my estimation the up shifts are way too slushy. Is this how fords shift? Slip & Slide Powerglide?
  • logiexpylogiexpy Member Posts: 1
    pegramjm...i own a 99 Expy XLT with 48K miles. The vibration when braking is probably due to warped brake rotors due to heat. Just got mine replaced a couple of months ago. Notice the vibration will get stronger if you don't get it replaced soon. I believe all 99 Expy's came standars with ABS. As for the manual, check e-bay or your local auto parts dealer, unless you're looking for the original Ford manual.
  • redheddsredhedds Member Posts: 1
    majkich,

I too am experiencing the same problems. The dealer said it registered a computer code 16070. Maybe they were feeding me a line to make me feel like something was being done. They said Ford engineers are working on a fix, but it could be 6months or longer before a fix would be available. They also told me it would not harm the vehicle. I have a 2003 XLT 4WD. I drove it off the lot in A4WD and didn't change it until we went on a trip and the vibration/griding started. It had less than 2000 miles on it when it started doing this. I switched to 2WD and it stopped. Shortly after we returned from our trip it started doing it in 2WD, so I took it to the dealer. After that I put it in 4WDH and drove for a while and it didn't seem to do it, maybe because it is slightly rougher ride in 4WDH. Anyway I switched back to 2WD and it doesn't do it near as often as it did. It seems to be more of a problem in A4WD than in 4WDH or 2WD.
  • newport61newport61 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 XLT with 65000 miles, when turning sharply at low speeds (turning into a parking space)it begins to shake or vibrate, seems to coming from the rear. Also had to have the transfer case speed sensors replaced about 2 months ago (4X4 Light stayed on) Anyone have similar problems?
    Do you have the limited slip rear diff? Have you ever had the rear diff fluid changed? It sounds like the clutches binding up. If you haven't serviced it before, it is time. If you do have the limited slip, specify that you want the "limited slip additive" put in with the new fluid.
  • newport61newport61 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks I'll try that, It does have limited slip the fluid has been changed once by jiffylube. I take it ther because the oil filter is nearly imposible to remove. I've never herd of limited slip additive is it available in part stores? or does it have come from the dealer
    It should be available anywhere. It is sort of like slick 50 for the ltd slip - it gives a little extra lubrication to the cluthes to keep them from binding up. It is very common although I don't know if jiffylube would put it in without you specifically asking for it. You can probaly add it without taking the cover off if you have some plastic tubing and can siphon off some fluid via the fill plug.
    Has anyone else encountered these problems? I live in Boston--middle of winter here now--and am thinking these may be weather-related:

1. Driver's window SOMETIMES won't go down when I first try it in the morning. I've got to press the button 5...6...7 times before the window rolls down. After that first hesitation, it works fine.

2. Yesterday, each time I was in Reverse my reverse sensing system was going nuts (steady beep) like I was on top of an object. However, NOTHING was nearby. I got out and cleaned the sensors, but still had the steady tone.
    While I'm logged in. Another item to ask about:

I was shopping for remote starter/alarm packages and am told by one shop that they'll have to replace my key (with the chip) to install the starter.

Yet a family member also has a chip in her Mountaineer's key and didn't have replace that or her fob when she got the remote starter. I hesitate to replace my fob since my original Ford one is much better made than most fobs I see with these packages.

Anyone else have experience with remote starters on 02 Expeditions?

And, if so, what kind of "additional charges" do you find for installation on the truck? Most places I spoke with won't even QUOTE a price because "we won't know until we begin the work."
  • shadowllshadowll Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 00 E.B and so far am very pleased with the vehicle. While not expecting to get good mileage I am kind of shocked that at this
    point I am only getting 10 mpg in town does anyone else get this kind of mileage I believed
    they were to get a lil better mileage than this.

Thanks
    Are you using the trip computer or calculating it?
  • shadowllshadowll Member Posts: 2
    I've done both first reading was actually under
    10. Last one was a lil better, but still seems
    to be awfully low.
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    We have a '99 Expedition and get about 11-13 mpg normally. On long trips it goes up to 17-18 mpg. It's got the 5.4L V8.

Do you have a lead foot? Do you idle for long periods of time picking your kids up from school? If not, you probably have a problem.
  • sweeney5sweeney5 Member Posts: 9
    Can you help - we have had an 03 XLT Premium for about 10 days. It seems to keep on accelerating after you take your foot off the throtle and seems slow to downshift when you are slowing down - any obvious causes known??

thanks
    8 days old XLT 4X4 Premium - advance trac light came on - pulled over and restarted - it went off. more concerned about taking foot off gas pedal and it seems to continue to accelerate..... also when braking it seems very slow to downshift... any others?.... any ideas?
    What did you drive before this? It sounds like you may be coming from a standard. The sensation of accelerating after you are off the throttle could just be that it is not slowing as a standard might in the same situation. What does the tach do when you let off? I have never percieved the shift points when slowing in an Expedition, but in general the vehicle is not using the transmission to slow itself down. In other Ford products I have felt what they referred to as a "coasting clutch" which did actually act like a standard and you would feel the successive gears.
    Before this we had a 95 Suburban Automatic and a Eurovan (VW) Auto. yesterday we were in a flat bit of town probably in the second gear - my wife took her foot off the gas and the car continued for about 1.5 miles without slowing down or reducing revs.....
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    I would test drive another Expedition with the same engine and drive set up (4x4, 4x2 ect) and see if it does the same thing. If it does this is normal.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I would recommend taking it in. I have 2003 5.4L 4x4 and there is absolutely no way our vehicle would behave that way. I had an 88 Park Avenue that seemed like it had zero rolling resistance. It would keep going and going. Our Expedition behaves like a "normal" vehicle. Sounds like something is amiss. I can't comment on 4.6L or 2WD models, however.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    The reverse sensing system in our 2001 E.B. doesn't work at all when it is real cold out (like 20 degrees F or colder). It works fine when the temp is above freezing. And yours beeps all the time when its cold out. Weird, huh?
    Thanks for the reply. It's weird that it actually only happened that once! (And, only one day in the last 7 days has the temp been above freezing)

But, I'm still having trouble with my driver's window not opening first thing in the morning. I think that is weather releated since on COLD days it still takes about 10 tries of hitting the down button to get the window to go down and the ONLY day it worked on the first try was the day it was not below freezing.

I've got to take it into the dealer but getting a day to schedule an appt. when I won't need the truck and finding the time to drop it off... that's a pain!

Thanks again, Rick, for the info!