Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I'd just take it to the dealer. I obviously can't hear your noise but your description matches the noise I had exactly. It was only under constant load that I heard it. Let off the gas and it disappeared.
  • fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    If your 2003 Expedition is a 4wd and the noise described is in 2wd High, you might want to review posts 274 and 278 above.
  • chaydechayde Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an '03 Expedition (I had '96, too) when they first hit lots last year. After 2 weeks I noticed roaring noise. Took to shop, nothing found. After 2 more trips, even to a different dealership, they found the 4wd rotors in front wheels not disengaging. Ford did not have a fix, even met local representative. Ford never did fix, wanted me to "wait" until a fix came about. Needlesstosay, I got rid of the Expedition due to the Customer "Dis"satisfaction. Now I understand Ford knew all along about the problem even before vehicles left the assembly line. BlueOval News indicates June '02 notifications from manufacturers. I regret the problem, the vehicle was awesome!
  • jmartindale55jmartindale55 Member Posts: 1
    I too have the engine whining noise at 40 MPH. Ford says the rear differential is at fault and the vehicle has now been stuck at the dealership for 1 week. I've owned the vehicle for just 3 months now and already I've lost the AC and the power lock system. The mirrors shake pretty badly at highway speeds as well. I like the interior space and ride of this vehicle, but clearly, Quality is NOT Job #1 at Ford.
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Member Posts: 4
    Ok I have to vent. After buying a $38,000 loaded Expedition I find that after 3000 miles my dealer tells me it is NORMAL for the front brake pads to drag first thing in the morning. You back out of the driveway and the noise is awful,feels like the wheel is being drug. This continues on for about 150 yards until what ever the problem is decides to cooperate as should. Yep the dealer hears it but they all do it they say. I have asked 3 other 03 Expedition owners about this and none are experiencing this. The serpentine belt assembly has already been replaced also. Noises,bad belts,dragging brakes-have you cussed a Ford lately? ARGHHHHHH!
    This may be obvious, but there is no way that is normal. This is the first I have heard of this issues with the 03's. Go to a different dealer, if possible.
  • dkovachdkovach Member Posts: 5
    Well, I just got my 03 Expedition back from the dealer. Fortunately it was only there 3 days and they gave me a loaner. They ended up replacng the rear differential with a new one. However, I am still hearing a constant drone/hum at around 40 - 42 mph. Obviously this did not take care of the problem. In fact, one starnge thing I noticed is that before when a switched to 4Hi the noise would dissappear. Now with the new differential when I switch to 4Hi the noise remains. Go figure! I plan on taking it back first thing next week and taking a ride with the tech. Any other ideas from anyone out there?
    I agree there is no way this normal. I am taking it to a different dealer Monday and God help the previous dealer if it is fixed. Have a good one...
  • tbooth2tbooth2 Member Posts: 33
    Maybe looking at this list will make you feel better about your situation since I having nothing to advise - the dealer has been unable to resolve vibration problem and I'm afraid to let them touch the rest for the main reason to you listed. This is my list after 3 months of ownership: constant vibration after 50 MPH, wheel shimmy and vehicle shake after 75 MPH (which explains why I can't see clearly out of the rear view mirror or side mirrors because they shake so much, clunking and pinging upon quick acceleration, loud hissing sound upon A/C startup, drone-whine sound during cruising speed (40-70 RM, I take my foot off the pedal and it stops), tremendous wind noise inside the cabin - thought we were having a wind storm outside, passenger doors rattle with any bump or divet in the road, front tires cupping and feathering even though they've been balanced (and supposedly rotated) by the dealer at least 4 times, and a roaring noise every time I start from a start and let off the gas pedal to coast or apply a little gas and then stop. I haven't even gotten into the cosmetic stuff - why bother? Oh what a feeling! (oops, that's Toyota.)
    Maybe I can help a little bit with the issues everyone is having, since I have had them myself.

tbooth2 - "drone-whine sound during cruising speed (40-70 RM, I take my foot off the pedal and it stops)" --- this sounds exactly like ring and pinion gear whine in the rear differential. Mine had it. My service tech has had issues with new differentials coming from Ford already misaligned and whining. He insisted on ordering the parts and rebuilding my current differential himself. He grew frustrated with not knowing what he was going to get with a new differential. Worked like a charm, no more problems.

dkovach- it is possible that your issue is the rear diff and you just got another bad one. You mention noise that goes away when switched to 4WD. Did you mean 4Auto or 4HI? There is a TSB on front differential whine/groan when in 2WD that goes away when switched into 4Auto. Is there a loud clunk when you switch into 4Auto while moving? Your front halfshafts could be spinning opposite directions and the cluck ocurs when they are forced so spin in the same direction when put into 4Auto.

Vibration at freeway speeds. There is a TSB for this also. Ford produced a troubleshooting flowchart for the problem. After ruling out the wheels or tires through various procedures, if the vibration still exists, the TSB says to replace the steering gear. I have also heard of others solving the problem by having the rack and pinion replaced. That is not mentioned in the TSB, however.

Now if anyone gets their doors to stop rattling please let me know the solution. I am on my third set of redesigned, and supposedly improved, gasket kits for the doors. Mine is actually worse now than it was before.

Try flatratetech.com for help from Ford service techicians. This is where I got help for all of my problems.

Hopefully this helped someone a little bit.
  • tbooth2tbooth2 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for your advice and input. The TSB for "steering wheel nibble" as Ford calls it has already been performed on my vehicle (replaced steering gear) but it did not alleviate the problem, imagine my disappointment and frustration after the service manager told me "it's fixed" and wasn't. Thanks for other info though. It's unfortunate Ford didn't put the quality into build and production that Ford should have because this vehicle could have reeled in the SUV market and crushed the competition if they had.
    I agree. I have a love/hate relationship with the vehicle. I think it has outstanding features, but the reliability (or lack thereof) sucks the life out of the ownership experience. It is a different class of vehicle somewhat, but I may try to talk my wife into looking at an 04 4Runner this week. I know I will take a beating but I am getting very close to leaving Ford in my past.
    Ok I have to vent. After buying a $38,000 loaded Expedition I find that after 3000 miles my dealer tells me it is NORMAL for the front brake pads to drag first thing in the morning. You back out of the driveway and the noise is awful,feels like the wheel is being drug. This continues on for about 150 yards until what ever the problem is decides to cooperate as should. Yep the dealer hears it but they all do it they say. I have asked 3 other 03 Expedition owners about this and none are experiencing this. The serpentine belt assembly has already been replaced also. Noises,bad belts,dragging brakes-have you cussed a Ford lately? ARGHHHHHH! UPDATE- Today the brake dragging went on for 3 blocks. The steering wheels shakes and the groaning is horrible. Normal huh?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    No, that's not normal, and don't let them blow you off that way. Stay nice, but persistent, and start escalating the problem to the dealer owner/principal/general manager, and then to Ford. Don't threaten, as that moves things to the litigation mode, which is a no win. Just stay after it, or try another dealer if there is one.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Flatfisher, apparently there were some early problems with the early "A" and maybe even "B" series 2003 Epy. Based on your VIN , is yours an early series?

Nvbanker, I've never heard of this early vs. late VIN typology on Navigators. Does it only apply to Expy?
    Thanks for the response. I am unfamiliar with A or B series of manufacturing runs but my particular Expedition was built May 5 2003. I am taking it to a new dealer this week. What a pain trying to get warranty coverage.
  • ibew269ibew269 Member Posts: 1
    Besides the huming noises while driving above 40 mph,has any one come across a noise when you are making a turn from a dead stop. Sounds like a rubing noise in the wheel well.Ford service department said every exepedtion he test off the lot does the same thing (told me there was no recall yet) so now what??????
  • bginsberg1bginsberg1 Member Posts: 10
    I get the rubbing sound when I start from a dead stop too. My '03 Expy is only about 2 months old now and that sound is starting to bother me. Any suggestions?
    You know, I've tried to find out about the "early" factor on Gators, and can't find anything, however, mine was made in December 03 and has none of the issues these early expeditions are showing. Can't find a key in the VIN on mine, but I am curious. I know I'm not first generation, because I found one engineering change, but I've seen a second engineering change that I don't have, so I'm probably a comparative "B" model.
    Look at the last letter in the VIN. The last 5 or 6 digits will be something like AXXXXX or BXXXXX or CXXXXX. I don't recall if there is 5 or six numbers after the letter.
    Well, my VIN is LJ19121 on my navigator, and that tells me nothing from what I know. Does it help you? The codes are way different than on Expeditions evidently. Probably made on the same line though......
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Grinding noise - This noise is common primarily during the first few stops on rear drum brakes and on some front disc brakes due to the formation of trace corrosion if the vehicle has not been driven recently. If the noise disappears after a few stops, it does not indicate a problem."

Erie Times

Steve, Host
  • fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    305--I got the front noise at interstate speeds to hush up say at least 95-98% by putting duct tape along the bottom edge of both front doors (an inch on the outside of the cladding and the remaining inch on the inside or the lower front doors sheet metal. This apparently keeps the cladding from flopping or something. Dealer service rep still has no long term Ford warranty fix.

312--having the same rubbing noise on my 03 Expedition from time to time. Sounds like tires rubbing or maybe something that need some grease in the steering column. Don't know?

316--with Navigator sales steady in the 3,500--4,000 range, the entire year's production would
    be well within the 99,999 available. Thus all would be "J" production? Would it work to divide
    your 19121 "J" number by 3,500 monthly produced/sold to arrive at 5-6 months into the production year? Worked for me relative to MM back in the late summer when we were looking for early "J" 2003 Mountaineer inventory on the Mercury and Ford/Mercury websites.
  • rog2867rog2867 Member Posts: 34
    Ok all, here is the fix for the vibration when turning from a stop. This tsb has been around for about 2 months now. This definatley fixes the problem. Good luck.
    TSB was posted on 9/15.

Article No.
    03-19-8 STEERING - LIMITED SLIP AXLE CHATTER, SHUDDER, BINDING SENSATION, OR VIBRATION DURING LOW SPEED TURNS
    VIBRATION - LIMITED SLIP AXLE CHATTER, SHUDDER, BINDING SENSATION, OR VIBRATION DURING LOW SPEED TURNS
    AXLE - LIMITED SLIP AXLE CHATTER, SHUDDER, BINDING SENSATION, OR VIBRATION DURING LOW SPEED TURNS

FORD: 2003 EXPEDITION
    LINCOLN: 2003 NAVIGATOR

ISSUE:
    Some 2003 Expedition/Navigator equipped with the 9.75" or 8.8" limited slip rear axle may exhibit chatter, shudder, a binding sensation, or vibration during low speed turns. The sensation may appear to originate from the front axle, or the steering gear.

ACTION:
    To service, first verify the condition. With the vehicle at cold startup. Ensure that the vehicle is in 2WD, to isolate the rear axle. Turn the wheel fully right (or fully left) and then accelerate the vehicle. If the condition is verified to be in the rear axle, replace the limited- slip clutch pack.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    rog - you are correct on that TSB, and it does fix the problem.

fx4 - I think there is a TSB for the body cladding. I believe I came across it on the NHTSA web site.

My dealer finally got my steering wheel nibble to go away. Fresh set of skins took care of it. Too bad it took a combined total of 7 days to figure it out.
  • swampy86swampy86 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for the help, I already took my 03EXPY to the dealer once, and they just said it was cold power steering fluid, I had narrowed it down to the rack or the differential.
  • tloftustloftus Member Posts: 7
    Love everything about my '03 Expedition except the brake dust. Is there a fix? Don't remember this with my '98.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    For the brake dust issue Ford is supposed to be offering a reduced dust pad in this quarter. Apparently they went through 39 different pad compositions before they found one that was acceptable. If you can't wait for that you can get a set of Kleen Wheels. I had them on my '99 will not ill effects, and I have them for my '03 but haven't had time to put them on.
    In other applications I have used Raybestos Quiet Stops which solved the problem as well. Some people have indicated they have gotten them for their Expys but my local shop says they aren't available for the '03 yet. I haven't had time to look inot it further.
  • bhambobbhambob Member Posts: 6
    I recently had my EGR valve replaced on my 98 Expy w/121K, the valve was stuck due to carbon build-up. One week later the check engine light comes on and the code reads to replace PCM. My tech suggested that I try to have the PCM re-programmed before replacing. Is this true? BTW, the Expy runs very well and nothing seems amiss after the code was reset. Tech also implied that replacing the EGR valve might have sent a code due to the fact that the Expy was running with a bad valve. Should I wait until my light comes on again before taking action?
  • srodjrsrodjr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 expedition and every morning when I get up to go to work the engine turns on and after a few secs. it automatically turns off. The engine light goes on and off but when it finally gets started after I have to hold the accelerator to maintain the engine on it turns back off. The dealer says they cant find any problem. Anyone else ever heard of this happening?
  • rgh69rgh69 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem with my brakes. I bought a 2004 EB 4X2 last Saturday and so far that is the only problem that I have noticed. My wife says that the AC doesn't blow cold sometimes when she is stopping although I have not experienced this. Flatsfisher, please let me know the outcome after you visit the 2nd opinion dealer. Other than the above, my wife and I are thrilled with our purchase. The truck is very comfortable and fun to drive.
  • heninpllkheninpllk Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Expedition has been starting on its own and immediately shutting itself off with no key in the ignition. When it does this, theres a grinding noise etc. Im wondering if its something to do with the remote auto starter? I didnt use it. ??
    That's the only thing it could be, my friend.....
  • water2water2 Member Posts: 1
    I am having trouble keeping tires on the front of a 2000 expedition, i have been told by sears mechanics that the brackets for the anti sway bar are gone , would this cause the tire wearing on the front?
  • shelbydog25shelbydog25 Member Posts: 18
    Are you referring to the "stabilizer links" (a pin that connects the stabilizer bar and lower control arm)? I noticed on my 2000 Expy my driver's side was missing as well. I wonder if this is a problem with them falling out. It's an easy fix and the part is $19.99 at Autozone
  • clecroneclecrone Member Posts: 5
    To #312,,313, 317, 318, 319,320, and 321
    I have had the same problem since I purchased my car in May, 2003. I had the rear differential completely replaced in July, to turn around 6 weeks later with the same problem. In July
    Ford said they had narrowed down the problem to the clutch packs and they were replaced. Now November and 7 weeks later, the grinding sound is back. My dealership said Ford has now definitely figured out the problem; the last clutch packs were only a "temporary fix' and there is a national backorder for the "newly designed clutch packs" which will be placed on my car as soon as the dealership gets them.
    Am I being snowed or have any of you gotten the same story? All I know is strike three and I want another car.
  • gself60179gself60179 Member Posts: 1
    Discovered my own fix for the annoying rattle coming from the plastic body cladding at the bottom of the front doors of the 2003 FX4. Because the cladding is so loose and not tightly attached to the doors, I stuck wadded up duct tape in between the cladding and the metal door and the rattling has stopped. Might not be permanent solution but working so far.
  • kofordkoford Member Posts: 1
    I think we finally found it. After many frustrations with the noise in the dash of my '03 Expedition, I think Ford has finally figured it out. The changer has a built in amp with a fan to cool it. The louder you play the music, the quicker the fan comes on. The fan is coming on everytime the amp gets hot. I don't know what Fords plans are to resolve the issue because there doesn't appear to be too many people complain about it. My dealer is willing to put another radio in of my choosing. By the way, my dealer was able to duplicate this on an '04.
  • kitmarkitmar Member Posts: 1
    I've been browsing all the posts here and can't find anything that sounds like the problem I've been experiencing with my 03 Expedition. It has about 8,000 miles. I recently started hearing a loud clunk in the front end. It sounds like something is falling off (or about to). It can't reproduce it consistently and can't even say for sure there's a pattern to it - though it seems to mostly occur when I am turning at low speed or if the vehicle is rocking a bit if we are going over a bump. It sounds like it is coming from a wheel/axel/tie rod?? The other noise I keep hearing is a loud metal kind of ping/pop - as if someone was pulling a dent out or if metal was expanding/contracting. I've heard this severla times while driving and then it even did it after the truck had been turned off for about 15-20 minutes. I was walking towards the truck and it sounded again like it was coming from underneath the truck near the front end. I've made an appt. to take it in to the dealer on Mon., but if anyone can shed some light on this I'd like to take it in armed with some info so I can make sure they don't give me the run around.

Thanks
  • expy03expy03 Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the front and rear pads on my 03 Expy w/ 2000 miles on it. I was tired of driving 50 miles and looking like never washed it. I purchased the Metal Matrix pads from Stillen in Ca. You can find them online. They are great, no dirt at all even after the recent heavy rains the wheels have nothing but a little road dirt on them.
  • grahamlgrahaml Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, you aren't alone. Purchased an '03 Expedition in Aug & @ 2300 miles, it started making the same sounds/vibration on sharp turns from a dead stop. Dealer finally announced problems with the rear clutch plate & replaced entire differential. Now, 400 miles later, it's gone again. If there are a number of others out there, we may have a design flaw.
  • grahamlgrahaml Member Posts: 2
    Thought the noises/vibrations I heard/felt were coming from the front end as well. Have someone else make the sharp turns from a dead stop while you sit in the rear seat with the windows open & you will hear it better - probably the same rear clutch pack problem and Ford seems to have a serious design flaw!
  • rog2867rog2867 Member Posts: 34
    The problem you are experiencing is the rear end clutch pack. There is a tsb from ford for this, I had mine done last week and its perfect now.
  • hwayne221hwayne221 Member Posts: 1
    I am also having the same problem as #325 with a 99 Expedition. But this does not happen every morning. It only happens a couple times a week. I crank up the SUV and then about a sec. later it cuts off. I do this a couple times before if ever stays cranked then I have no problems at all for a couple of days. Please someone help us!!!! We are clue less?????????
  • adolledadolled Member Posts: 6
    Are the problems significantly different between the vehicles? It's hard to determine if there is any type of trend because people are not telling us 2WD or 4WD.

Any thoughts on this or are the problems the same?
  • bsparks1bsparks1 Member Posts: 6
    One of my few disappointments with my '98 Expedition is the headlights. Either regular or hi-beam, they seem much more dim and diffuse than other vehicles (even Fords) I've owned. I was in Auto Zone the other day and was completely baffled by the choices in aftermarket headlight bulbs. Any suggestions? I want something that fits on the first try, dosen't blind oncoming drivers, and lights up the road. And yes, my lamps are properly adjusted. Thanks
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Have the lenses clouded or yellowed? That can be a cause of the dim lighting.
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    I upgraded my '99 Expy headlights with some brighter Sylvania bulbs. Don't recall the model, but they made a huge difference. Cleaning/polishing the clear plastic lense could help too.

On other vehicles, I've used PIAA Super White bulbs, which put out more light than the Sylvania's. Some people complain about their short life, but mine lasted the year I had the vehicle before I got rid of it. On my replacement vehicle, I've installed Sylvania SilverStar's ($20 each at AutoBarn.com) and I'm quite pleased with their output.

If aimed properly, the new bulbs should not blind oncoming drivers.
  • rfdevil1rfdevil1 Member Posts: 43
    I'm a new poster to this board because I haven't had any issues until now. We have a 2001 XLT w/ 42K miles and it's 2.5 yrs old. So its out of warranty. Within two days, the radio quit producing sound and I am now hearing air at center dash at 60 mph and above. Radio appears to work but no sound. Mute is definitely not on. Took it the dealer (who reminded me its now out of warranty)mainly for the radio. They fixed it for $115 and said it was a defective connector. Two days later, guess what? No sound. They also said the windshield seal was bad and entire windshield would have to be replaced, can't just caulk it. They would have to replace the entire windshield. Only $315 for that but I didn't have that done yet.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of any similar issues. I did a search but didn't see any. I'm well aware what 3 yr 36K miles means in warranty terms but come on. This truck has been well cared for and is only 2.5 yrs old.
  • bsparks1bsparks1 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks. I'll check out AutoBarn.com.

The lenses are clean already, so its probably the lamps.