Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• springtxspringtx Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 expedition with 25k. the brake dust is unbelievable on this truck. 1 day after complete wheel clean-up and they are a mess again. it's enough to make me hate this truck after loving everything else about it.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Try Kleen Wheels dust guards, they work really well. Get fronts and rears.
  • lshupaklshupak Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2003 ford Expedition Aug. 2003. It has an ongoing vibration in the front end as well as alignment problems. To make a long story short, it has had 3 sets of tires and new steering gear and multiple wheel alignments. The dealership can not figure out why this car continues to whear the tires bad (due to the vibration) and why it pulls to the right hard. It maintains good steering for about 1,000 miles after being realigned and then it converts back to the same problem. I am also having many problems with raddles and squeeks. The dealership is not budging as far as telling me why this vehicle has worn through 2 sets of tires in 4 months. I think I have a lemon. Any of you with the same problems or solutions?
  • tbooth2tbooth2 Member Posts: 33
    Welcome to my world! I too bought my Expy in August 2003 and can ditto just about everything you've stated. Just FYI, does the last six digits start with an "A" "B" or "C"?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I would pass on the Expedition with the 4.6L engine. I think it's too small for that size truck. That being said, it sounds like your truck has had a lot of cheap gas through it, and needs an injector cleaning. You can buy a few cans of injector cleaner and run them through, that may help, but you also may need to spend $100 and have the fuel rail power flushed with solvent. That should fix the rough idle, if you buy it.
  • plsgmplsgm Member Posts: 2
    I am experiencing vibration also with my expedition. Don't know if we have the same problem, but mine is vibration at low speeds while turning. Our dealership acknowledged that certain vehicles coming off the assembly line did not have an "additive" (????)put into the rear differential fluid. They added the additive and asked that we drive it for 1000 miles to let it work in, but want us to bring it back if the problem is not resolved. After 250 miles, it's still vibrating. Check into the TSB boards, it's there under power train axle assembly.
    You will only notice the missing LSD additive when turining at low speeds like in parking lots. That vibration is more like a "binding". There is also a TSB to replace the clutch packs in the rear end for grinding when starting from a stop and turning. The additive is the easy first try, the clutch pack is a day long repair and for some time the parts were on national backorder. The backorder is probably cleared by now.
  • bginsberg1bginsberg1 Member Posts: 10
    If you've got the problem with the cluth pack...you'll know it soon enough! I got my '03 Expy EB about 4 months ago and the binding kicked in very soon after. It just kept getting worse and I ended up taking it in back on 12/29/03 at 4000 miles. They gave me a loner and kept the truck a week. Guess the national backorder was at full swing then. They replaced the entire back end and now the truck is running beautifully. Don't let them tell you it's just a "tire rubbing". Bring in a print out of the TSB. That will get their attention.
  • fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    I bought a 2003 FX4 in April 2003, and then a 2003 4wd Explorer for my wife after her heavy damage, but no injury wreck of the 2001 Explorer Sport.

Both of these new vehicles had to have front end alignment right away. Both seem to being OK now after many additional miles. This clearly indicates to me that the factory is not doing a proper job of delivering the product to the paying customers. In addition, the dealer says that Ford only pays for one alignment which must be within the first 12,000 miles. The USA auto makers' way as usual seems to be to just slop them off the assembly lines and let the dealers and the customers pay in lost time, trouble, cost, etc. Also, "they" don't bother to tell you about this 12,000 miles one alignment restriction on the bumper to bumper warranty?

In contrast, I bought a 3000 series Cub Cadet lawn and garden tractor last year and learned that the Cub dealer had done a front wheel alignment as standard procedure prior to delivery to me. Can you imagine the local friendly Ford dealer putting all his new inventory on the alignment rack prior to the customers driving off? You're lucky if there is some air in the tires and they have not put too much greasy stuff on the tires and all over including the windshield.

...a feeling came over me last summer as I struggled to get the blasted oil filter off the Expedition, that this might be my last Ford. The Ford factory must install the OEM oil filters
    by robot with the proverbial 400 lb impact wrench. Later in the year, I broke a good oil filter wrench and never did get the oil filter off the 4.6L 2003 Explorer--had to take it to the dealer.

Hey, nvbanker did you make it through the Holidays? We need some Spring here!
    I think it's 65 degrees here today, a little chilly. Heading to Florida next month to get warm.

BTW, I have never had to have a Ford aligned new before. In fact, the Navigator needed one at about 50,000 miles, and I think the last car I aligned prior to that was about 1980. Surprised to hear about yours. I have experienced the oil filter thing before though....but it was on a new Oldsmobile.

The longer I drive my 03, the happier I get with it. Have an 04 Mountaineer on order at the moment to replace the 02 coming off lease. Dealer can't find the color the wife wants. Sheesh. Happy wife, happy life, right?
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    So you've had your Expy for some time now and are getting happier with it. I would like to get into a Ford product (thinking of the Expy specifically), but the more I read about owner experience and the way Ford deals with it's customers the more I am questioning that decision. I keep reading and hearing about people like fx4 and how Ford limits the number of trips back to the dealer they'll pay for and I have to wonder what in blue blazes is up with Ford?! Why would they want the owners of their new products to be ANYTHING other than happy?! All this and under the bumper to bumper warranty period.

I'm planning on spending some cash on my next purchase, but I'll be into the vehicle I choose for a good stretch and I want to be treated right, not jerked around.

Would you recommend a new Ford product based on your experience?
    There are dealers, and there are dealers, to be sure. I like mine, and they have treated me well.

My affection for Ford products was enhanced a great deal through my experience as a fleet manager for 5 years. We had Chryslers, GMs, Fords & Toyotas in the fleet. Trucks, cars & executive cars. Having the chance to buy 'em, drive 'em & service 'em, over the 5 year period, I grew to respect the Fords a great deal, and gravitated toward them.

Having said that, Ford turns out a turkey once in a while and some of there stuff is incredible, while other models are not. Generally, the trucks are the best, IMO. The Town Car, Grand Marquis & Crown Victoria are awesome, run forever, comfortable, old fashioned cruisers. I'm less of a fan of the Taurus/Sable, but the Focus is world class - just ugly as hell to me.

So, yes, I'd recommend them. I drive several of them. I deviate from time to time, but always have some Fords in the family fleet & my business.

The very first 03 Expeditions were trouble prone - new edition bugs and all. I would not be afraid of any 04 Expedition. I think you'll be very pleased, and I do think it's the best unit on the market in the class.
    Yeah, what he said.
  • alexm234alexm234 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone had any electrical problems with there 03' Expedition? With my car, I have a problem where the odometer goes out, power windows goes out, radio goes out, dome lights go out, and air bag light turns on. It always happens when I go out of town or take it on long trips. Ford says the cannot find anything wrong with it, even when they have clearly seen there is something wrong with it. I think Ford Service sucks. Everytime this happens, all the components I have listed go out. Has anyone else had any problems like this?
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    DO any other electrical parts fail at that time, or just the interior stuff? I ask because there's a small computer called the "body control module" that runs all the stuff you're describing and there could be a wiring problem, ground problem, or bad module itself. Unfortunately the dealer can only find it if they can reproduce the problem and even then it will take some wire chasing. Be patient, give them a few tries, yes it will be a pain but mystery electrical problems always are. I hope they fix it for you, good luck.
  • corpuscorpus Member Posts: 37
    Perhaps the reason Ford is suffering has to do with the get-rich-quick society. I know a lawyer that won $225 million (not a typo) for a guy who rolled a crew-cab Ford pickup at 2 am on a Saturday night. The door latches failed, and two of his relatives (not wearing seatbelts) were ejected and killed. They expected the truck to be designed to withstand landing on its roof, I guess.

I know a bunch of lawyers that have made a ton of money suing Ford and Firestone. Now, as a result, we have to replace the p.o.s. ContiTrac tires they put on the new SUV's. I can't help but think that these lawsuits have hurt the product and the service. The business still has to make a buck, or close its doors. We all pay for the greed of a few.
    Yes we do, and yes they (Contintental tires) are!
  • fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    When you post on problems with so and so brand in this type format, there is always a risk of
    painting a too dark of a picture. There a many pulses for the 2003 and up Expeditions
    and other Ford products. For example the truck type V-8 engines I have had for the last 20 years have done nothing but start and run for 175,000+ miles trouble free. Nearly the same for transmissions. Also Ford dealers often go out of their way to solve problems, hand you keys to
    nearly new service loaners, etc.

With that said, I am still peeved at Ford big time for making such a nice SUV that is so hopelessly overweight for a truck based vehicle in F-150, 1500 range. For example the 2004 Michigan Hwy Patrol Police Vehicle Tests show a 2wd Chevy Tahoe with 5.3L engine at just over 5,000 lbs, while the Ford in similar configuration 2wd, 5.4L is over 5,400. With ever expanding gobal auto usuage, concern about gobal warming, etc., why would Ford build such an overweight monster? Also the invoice for my FX4 read 5,396 (6 gallons of fuel), but the thing has consistently weighed over 5,800 lbs with 28 gallons of fuel in the tank on several different certified public scales. The above MHP Tests has the Tahoe 4wd at 5,370 lbs or so with the 5.3L engine.

..you might as well be happy ...if you ever buy the Ford Expedition, rapid depreciation (versus say the Tahoe) locks you into being a happy Ford owner for 60 months..Ha!
  • maytag87maytag87 Member Posts: 37
    Good afternoon folks,

With the birth of our 3rd child, I have been contemplating replacing our 165K Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser (with 3rd seat) with an E.B. Expedition. I have been looking at these massive beasts since they first came out. I wish Oldsmobile made a similar vehicle, but alas, Oldsmobile wont be making any more vehicles after this year...

I have reviewed the Expedtion safety records, looked at rollover research and read every post on this board. Now I am getting close to taking the plunge. I would be buying one from the late 90s, and of course, I am trying to stay within budget.

I have a friend who is going to be selling his blue 98 EB Expy with 76K miles, 3rd row seat, lots of options (roof option unknown at present) and it runs well with no problems. The deal is probably going to be for about 10K-11K.

I am looking at the Expy this weekend and I want to look over the truck for any common trouble spots. I plan to check:
    1) Any vibrations while riding, tire condition etc
    2) Rust under doors?
    3) Rear wiper operation
    4) Radio/CD operation
    5) Child safety locks locking by themselves?
    6) E-Brake cable condiiton - corroded or good?
    7) Blue smoke on startup?
    8) Air shocks on back keeping correct level
    9) 4wd operational
    10)General operation and functionality

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Maytag
    My only knock on the 98 Expedition, is the engine produced only 230bhp, a little light for my taste, (and that's the 5.4L triton). I am really under impressed with the 4.6L in that truck. But as far as reliability - I think the Expedition is as good as it gets! Buy with pride, as long as you like the power and feel it is adequate. If you don't tow, it'll probably be fine.
  • horst1horst1 Member Posts: 33
    I do believe you have an antenna problem. Your antenna is picking up alternator noise. Try to isolate the antenna or have it grounded properly. I believe you also can by antenna filters. Good luck with it.
    Horst
    Thanks for the reply nvbanker. I suspect the power will be adequate for my taste, and I may very well tow a open car trailer with a full size 1968-1988 Oldsmobile from time to time. Between the trailer and the car, we're probably talking about a little less than 5000 pounds. I would think the 230hp 5.4 would be sufficient. Am I totally off base?

Thanks!
    Maytag
    It'll do it, but it'll huff and puff a bit, whereas the next year, they raised the HP to 260, and I've towed car trailers with that one, with no effort at all.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Ford has kept everyone waiting over a year for new "low dust" brake pads

But guess what, They decided to charge $250 plus installation for them instead of covering them like they promised they would.

They are part number 4L1Z-2001-BA
    Please let Ford know what what you think about that.
    Thanks nvbanker! If it can do it, that will be ok, I dont mind if I have to take my time accelerating with a load. If I had the additional cash, I would probably go for the '99. With my budget, I would probably have to go with a salvage title vehicle if I wanted a 99 or newer, which I would prefer to avoid.

Thanks!
    Maytag
    It'll run like a Maytag, Maytag! They're great trucks.
    Maybe I just wash my truck more often than most. (Average every other week), but it's not that big a deal to me.
    Now thats what I wanted to hear nvbanker :) I guess the only thing that concerns me are the problem reports from the new models like the 2003, what with the tire vibrations, rear end clutch packs, tales of trans replacements, head gaskets nightmares, oil leaks resulting in engine replacements... Wow... better get that aftermarket warranty!!

Maytag
    You know, I see that on the boards here, but honestly, I don't know ANYBODY who has a bad one, and there are 3 on my block of 8 homes. My #2 at work has a 99 with no problems. I probably know 10 people with Expeditions, none of them are bad. The early 03's had some new model issues, but since the 3rd EC, they've been great. No worries.
    Take a look around, just about every new Expedition looks like the front wheels were painted black.

For over a year Ford has been telling owners "We are aware of this concern but don't worry we are working on it"

15 months later they come out with the new pads but now have decided that the brake dust they once called "excessive" is now normal and won't pay for it.
    Bummer.
  • wilsoncj6wilsoncj6 Member Posts: 10
    Hi! I'm having some problems with my 99 Expedition:

I woke up this morning and nothing was getting any power (power door locks/ windows/ignition, etc). I jumped it with my jeep and she started right up. But as soon as I shift into anything but park or neutral, the radio and wipers don't work. The radio completely looses power. The wipers will keep going only if I turned then on when I was in park or neutral. But when I shift back into Park or Neutral, everything works fine! Sometimes after I turn the ignition off I hear a bunch of clicks, kinda like relays clicking, in the dash just to the right of the steering column.

Anyone heard of this before? Could it be the Body Control Module? What should I check?

Thanks for the help!!!

Brett
    Do you have any added on electrical equipment on this baby? Like a DVD player or something?
    Electrical problems are the (IMO) hardest to troubleshoot and require the greatest expertise fix. It is difficult to find that kind of expertise in mom and pop shops that tend to have more reasonable labor rates. That leaves you stuck generally with taking your vehicle to the dealership and letting them have a go at it.

You might try www.flatratetech.com. Some Ford techs there try to help out people like you although electrical generally requires hands on troubleshooting.

Good luck. A BCM is an expensive fix so cross your fingers and hope it isn't that.
  • atcersatcers Member Posts: 26
    Hello All,

I usually lurk and read but now is a good time to post. I own a 2003 4x4 Eddie Bauer Expy "A" model 5000 block vintage and it may suprise a few that I have had very few complaints. Yes I have had the advanc-trak module replaced along with the "s" spring fix and new outside memory mirrors. The only other complaints were a raido that would not work with the scan feature and a bad latch on the passanger front door. I sympathize with the owners of the front end vibration as I am blessed to have avoided that problem even with the Conti tires. Yes the wheel dust is an annoyance but there are worse things in life than dirty front wheels. The vehicle is rock solid and the 4x4 system makes easy work of east coast winters. My only truely ongoing gripe is the crummy gas mileage. On the highway with no a/c at 65mph I get 15.5 mpg with the 5.4L, around town 14mpg. The strange thing is I towed a 3000 pound vehicle on a car carry trailer (5000 lbs gross) from the Washington DC area to western West Virginia through the WV mountians with no problems whatsoever (OD turned off) and averaged 13.5mpg! I would recommend the new Expy to anyone who is looking for a full sized SUV and doesn't expect too much in the way of fuel economy.
    Despite rising gas prices (and I have to put Premuim in my beast), I am not unhappy with the mileage for the size and power of the truck. If I wanted mileage, I'd get an Escape.
    I'm going to be placing an order for a new vehicle in April. I am 95% settled on an 04 Expedition. My only wish is that the Ford had a little more power so it was a bit zippier around town. I've driven them a couple of times and that is the only thing I notice that stikes me as out of place.

Historically the Ford products we've owned have been good to us so I am looking for that to continue with this purchase. I'm planning on buying it outright and keeping it over time so an extended warranty is in my plan too.

These boards have been helpful to get a variety of perspectives on owner experiences.

What turned it for me in the end was initial purchase price and safety.

GM - cost more to get into initially and has NO OPTION for second row side impact protection. WHAT is GM thinking? Are second row passengers not as important? My children are going to be riding there. GM has sub par crash test scores relative to Ford.

Foreign - Have superior long term reliability and resale value but simply cost too much to get into.

Fuel economy is not playing into this decision as it is similar across all manufacturers for full size SUVs.

Anyhow those are my thoughts.
    Personally, I think the power is there, just not at the 800 RPM level as much as the GM pushrod engines deliver. Yet, the tip in of power on my Navigator is almost too much. That's a slightly
    different version of the engine though. You'll have enough power in the Expedition for whatever you need to do.
  • geno001geno001 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for all the info all of you have posted. Just picked up my 04 loaded monochrome loaded Eddie Bauer. Wow what a vehicle.......we're pretty fired up, having the satellite radio installed next week.

Thanks for all the intel!
    Congrats!! Monochrome version, eh? What color do those come in?
    Red Fire Clearcoat Metallic......sweet!
    Very nice color. Would have got Red myself, but my wife thinks every married man with a Red car is having an affair......
    The Premium Edition option is offered on Black and the Red. It comes at a price ($895) and they advertise that it has unique rims and headlamps, but I see little if any difference there that is immediately apparent.

There is a rumor that some of the late production run 04s will have the new 300hp 5.4 from the F-150. I have a cousin who works as a service manager at a local dealership and I called him today to ask if he could arrange to get that motor for me when I order. He hasn't gotten back with me on that yet.

Enjoy your new vehicle. After you've driven it a while, let us know your impressions.
    Does it have a different exhaust tip too?
    What does that look like?
    It should have the oval exhaust tip.
    Yes it has the chrome tip exhaust too. This is the thing that mosly sticks out to me (aside from the monochrome scheme) when I look at pics of the premium edition. I seriously have a hard time judging the difference between the wheels and headlamps of the standard and premium EB. I guess I would need to see and compare side by side shots of both in order to tell them apart.

I agree with nvbanker - it should have the oval exhaust tip.
    What gets me is that miserable plain pipe sticking out the back of the Navigators.
    They can't put chrome trim on that pipe for $55K
    Yet even a Kia or Hyundai has something on the pipe to dress itup.
  • cat3126cat3126 Member Posts: 43
    03 EB with Advance Trac Dealer replaced the entire differential with a new assembly.Had previously replaced seals five times.It leaked only when the temperature was below 25 degrees.While in in the told me there was a TSB on the front brake dust and replaced the pads.Both problems seem to be solved.
    My monochrome has a chrome exhaust tip, I dont know about oval and yes the headlights seem to be different from the non-premium.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    Do any of you guys have access to pictures of this thing? I saw a small picture at the dealer the other day couldn't get enough detail from it...I had a feeling that the 300hp motor would make it to the Expo sooner or later...