Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lovcomlovcom Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone else out there have this issue with their 2003 Expedition (all models)???

When I turn extreme right or left, I hear this subtle rubbing sound first from the right side, then the left seconds later. Sometimes its from the left side first then the right. It seems to be coming form the front breaks or bushings, or God knows what up front. My friend's 2003 does the same thing.

This really bugs me as I came from owning only Honda's before gambling on a domestic vehicle.

Anybody have any info on this?

Thanks,
    Dan
  • shairkhanshairkhan Member Posts: 28
    Nvbanker, I know what you mean...when the kids complained first.. I told them it was impossible. Well, it does happen, and I am unable to figureout the automatic child locking "feature!!!"

The sound in item 2 on my post could be better described as slight grinding in the front end.

Appreciate your input.

--
    S. A. Khan
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Yeah, my "impossible" was the child locks. There is no physical way they could lock on their own that I'm aware of. Somebody is spoofing you.

No, all Expeditions don't have problems, you got a dud. If you go back a ways, you'll see a lot of discussion on the first 3 ECs for the car, and you'll find the A group, first one out, were terrible. The B group were still not great, but better, and the C and beyond group were quite good. If your VIN has an A in it, sell it. IF it has a B in it, keep trying. I'm willing to bet you don't have a C.
    I am not sure if I quite understand your VIN interpretation. Please explain in detail which place/digit are we looking for A, B & C. What is 3ECs? (Pardon my ignorance). Does this apply for a certain model year?

I am positive on child locks that nobody is spoofing me. I have been keeping an eye on it even when I am the only person using the car.... It just happens intermitently... I have no idea what could cause that!!!

--
    S. A. Khan
    ECs, are Engineering Changes - when some component on the assembly of the car is changed. A is the initial output of a new model. Then, there is a need, or desire to change something fundamental in the design of the car, and the B series is born, followed by the C series. The A series of this model has had lots of issues. The B series quite a few less, and the C series have been good, all of these were in 2003.

Check the first letter in your VIN#, and determine if you have an A, B or C series. Sell it if it is an A, tolerate if you have a B, and if you have a C with these problems, sell it for sure, because you have a haunted machine!

I still respectfully maintain that it is impossible for your child locks to set themselves. It just physically can't happen!
  • tanelizahtanelizah Member Posts: 2
    I finally got around to taking my expedition in to find out what the very high pitched noise was all about. Turns out that it was the seat tracking under the right and middle seat of the second row. Noise is gone and the ride could not be better. Hope it lates for the duration of my ownership of this vehicle.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Just to clarify the letter you would look for would be the letter right before the last 5 digits in your VIN. For example, my VIN ends in A66XXX, where XXX is the last three digits that I simply don't recall. So mine is an "A" build.

Karl
    My Exp's VIN ends A20XXX. It is a 2000 model year. Does that make it one of the troubled vehicles?

Are EC A, B, Cs are for each model year? or are they for each new model (I mean like from '97 to 2002 the Exp. had not changed much, 2003 was a substantial redesign)

Child lock issue... I guess this vehicle is possessed... spooked... :)

--
    S. A. Khan
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I think there is a digit somewhere else in the VIN that identifies the model year. I assume each model year starts over with AXXXXX. The specific vehicles with issues that many of have been talking about are "A" versions of the 2003 redesign.
    Yes, I thought shairkhans truck was a 2003. If it's a 2000, that's not only a whole different story, but a huge surprise! The 2000 model year were phenomenally bullet proof! Don't know what to tell you now..... Have you considered trading up to a 2001?
    I have considered trading up to 2001 or 2002. Do those have a good record? I had looked at the 2003 and like several of the features including ride quality, but the way the interior and dash are redesigned gives me a feeling of lesser room/space for driver... I am over 6-1/2 feet tall.

--
    S. A. Khan
    I used to drive a 99 Nav, and you're right, the 03 is a smidge smaller, but mostly in row 2. Haven't noticed less space for the driver.

All the previous Navigators had great reliability records, which is why I'm so surprised to hear you have issues like you do in the 2000. My 99 went 65,000 with only one small 0 ring repair in year 3 or 4. Hell, the brakes lasted 60,000 miles on it! I have found the 03 to be almost as good, which surprised me since it's a new model. Stay away from the 03 "A" and "B" units though, as previously discussed. Although I never experienced them, lots of A & B owners have had issues.
    Hi All,

I have noticed that when you replace oil & filter and put in 6 qts. of oil as per the capacity in the user manual. The dip stick only shows half way in between the Hi Lo marks.

Have you guys noticed the same? Also, one time my mechanic actually added almost 7 qts. but it was still not at the full mark...

Any comments/sugestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

--
    S. A. Khan.
    Wow......one wierd truck.....All these things in one package, truly must be possessed.
  • cat3126cat3126 Member Posts: 43
    Make sure that you have the right dipstick.I had an 2000 w/tow package that had the wrong dipstick,caused over filling. Have an 03 w/tow package that takes 6qts.which brings it within and 1/8" of full.The other thing to watch out for is some "Q" change places use a short filter which reduces your oil capacity a bit.
    How did u determine that it was a wrong dipstick for 2000 Exp. Were there several produced with wrong DS from the factory?

Thanks for your input.

--
    S. A. Khan
  • cat3126cat3126 Member Posts: 43
    The service guys took the dip stick into the parts department and checked it against a chart they had. Apparently the dip stick varies depending what the engine is installed in.
  • fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    Oil Level on dipstick--same problem on my 2003 FX4. "Full" is just above half way between full and add.

Loss of room in 2003 Expedition. Redesign of front doors leaves less knee room in my 2003 versus my previous 2000 Expedition. Cargo area is more narrow because the side opposite the rear a/c comes in more to make for a more balanced look, hide the wheel well. "Baby seat" in 2nd row always in the way for folks without small children. 40% seats not as comfortable for large adult as one side previous 60% seat. Rear visibility much worse that previous Expedition.

Production A,B,C? Does anyone know if Ford runs all the way out to A99999 before picking up with B? With 2003 Expedition sales of 13,000 to 15,000 a month and a long production run for 2003, it seems that would be about right. Thus some C inventory in calendar year 2003. Anyone know?

..good to read NVBANKER as usual..
    I believe the letter designation is changed when an Engineering Change is implemented, no matter what number they are on at the time. So, when they decided to change the Overdrive cutout switch on the shift stick from south, to west on the handle, those vehicles got a B designation, and when they deleted the power 3rd seat switches behind the Driver's side second row seat, and add the tweeter speakers in the A pillars, that started trucks with a C designation in the Vin. Etc. I don't think the numbers matter.
  • fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    Thanks NVBANKER. Isn't it amazing how we assume things work so and so way when in fact it is not true?

I noticed that Tirerack.com has some 113H tires.
    Continental Brand. Anyone used this H rated tire, know anything about it such as intended application, suitable for 2003 Expedition? Upgraded construction over 113S?

I noticed under the Ford Ordering Guide mid-year 2004 (Job #2) that Expedition Triton 4.6L engine blocks are now cast iron versus the earlier aluminum block for 4.6L. Anyone know the reason, any trouble, etc. with aluminum block 4.6L. Our 2003 4WD Explorer with 4.6L with aluminum 4.6L seems to run great except it doesn't get any better mileage than cast iron 5.4L in much heavier 4WD Expedition.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Re: tires

We have a Tirerack rep over in the Tires, Tires, Tires topic who I'm sure can answer your questions concerning the 113H tires.
  • jeff88jeff88 Member Posts: 94
    We are picking up our new expedition eb tonight. I usually wax a new car fairly soon after delivery, am using maguire's gold wax lately. What are your thoughts? how soon do you wax the new vehichle. Thanks in advance,
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    MY EB Exped in red should be coming in next monday or tues. Any new car that I have ever picked up was been waxed by the dealer. I usually use a Wash and Wax soap when I wash it. I also plan to use every 3-4 months a wax that you spray on after the car is washed and wipe/dry it off. I also plan to wax it every 6 months .
    My 10 year old minivan that I waxed maybe once a year still has a great shine to it. The paints these days should hold up even better. Once a year
    wax job should be plenty.
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    Waxing twice a year should put you right without any problems.

I am going to take my new Expy to Ziebart and have their clearcoat protection done. It shields the paint from UV damage, and is renewable annually for a nominal fee. It costs, but it saves me the hassle of waxing. Hand washing is enough for me.
    I agree with the twice annual waxing, by hand. rubs off the crud, protects from the sun and other pollutants. I think most manufacturers would agree. If the color is dark (like my black car), the car wash spray wax is used regularly. Keeps the static down, much less dust attaches.

Meguires is good stuff.
  • mbjbmbjb Member Posts: 39
    You might also might want to try Mother's wax, they have two kinds. One is a cleaner and the other is just a wax. I have been using Mother's for years and it is a very good product. I just recently purchased a 04 expy xlt and I waxed it the first weekend after I purchased it.
  • jabbomanorjabbomanor Member Posts: 3
    I had an experience this weekend on my way to Houston. I was following a friend who was driving in front of me, I made a sharp turn from the left lane to the right, because I was trying to miss
    an object in the road, and to me it was a smooth transition. We traded out 02 Expy for an 04 Expy. My wife would not drive the 02
    Expy but she loves the 04, because the steering is not twitchy.
    The Rack & Pinion steering, Independent Rear Suspension, and suspension tuning make a huge improvement in the 04, don't they? I think hands down, it's the best handling large SUV available.
    I agree about the expy being the best handling of the large suv class. Tested the sequoia & armada; the expy rode & handled the best to me. BTW, none of them are porsches...

Thanks all for waxing advice. the dealer had a nice wax layer applied before pick-up so I'm going to let things go for 3 months then wax 3x a year with maguires gold. no polish until year 3 and only if needed. then I'll wax over the polish if it comes to polishing.
    Any one else have this problem. Happened 2x since I picked up the Expy last thurs. It happened both times while the headlights were on. While driving all of the interior lights came on and than went off after 5 minutes. I couldn't shut them off using the switch next to the headlight switch.I tried opening and closing the driver door. The dealer says that I will have to bring it in while it is happening. First time after driving about 1.5 hours. 2nd time after about 45 minutes
    gheimur,

It sounds like a bad door switch. I had the same problem on my f150 a couple of years ago. When the switch goes bad the interior lights will come on and not shut off. Good luck. It also could be a door or the rear hatch/window not closed properly.
    Thanks, its not the worst problem in the world but it may be a pain to get it resolved. I'll need to monitor for a while maybe it'll permatize itself instead of being intermittent.
    I received 2 mats in the middle row where the bench seat is and none in the 3rd row where the powerfold seat is. Is this standard or was I under matted.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    Can anyone tell me if you can adjust the seatback angle for the center seat of the 2nd row? Thanks!
    gheimur,

You were under matted. I would call the dealership where you purchased your expy and tell thim they owe you a mat for the 3rd row. Good luck! Don't let them tell you they do not have any, they can take one from one of the expy on the lot.

Mike
    I do not think the second row middle seat can be reclined. I might be wrong but chek the seat and look for a lever. I believe the seat will not recline, sorry.
    Dealer says I was not undermatted,That's the way
    it comes from FORD. I went to WalMart and bought
    3 rubber Mats for the 3rd row and 1 for the middle row. Cost about $4 each. $16
    Does not recline, just folds forward or moves forward.

Have to check the 3rd row to see if I was undermatted. Our new expy is less than 2 weeks old.
  • hardsellhardsell Member Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with my oil pump. I have low pressure light that comes on after my truck has been idling for about 5 minutes. Then the truck starts to vibrate and you can hear the lifters clang. Do I need another oil pump? And If so, might it be covered under the Secret Warranty? I have priced it and it costs a small fortune. What do I do?
    How many miles do you have on the expy? If it is not too far pass 36k maybe of you are nice the dealer might change the oil pump for free or give you a nice discount. Does not hurt to ask.
    Worse than that, it sounds like it's atually too late for that engine - it may be oil starved, causing you an early failure even after replacing the oil pump (which, by the way I have never seen before in these engines).
  • grparkgrpark Member Posts: 13
    Our 2002 Expedition was bumped from behind today. The only visible damage is the plastic piece in the center of the bumper. What I'd like to find is an online parts supply that I could get this piece from. I'll go by the dealer tomorrow, but I expect them to want to charge is big $$$ for the fix.

Anybody on this board know of a good parts supply?
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    What year? What engine?
    You're looking at major expense unless Ford agrees to help with the bill. If you've had your oil changes done at the purchasing dealer regularly and on time, you have a much better shot at getting help. But if you've abused it or ignored oil maintenace, you'll be out of luck. Any number of problems can cause a lack of oil pressure: leaking gaskets, loose pick-up tube, restricted oil passages, etc. Problem is there's no way to know what's wrong until the engine is disassemble and inspected. The oil pump may not be the problem, so you're looking at high labor cost no matter what.
    That can be fixed easily and for about $150 or less around here. Bumper Medic does it, but any number of free-lance body folk can repair that bumper good as new so you'll never know cheaply. Believe me, I know. I nailed 3 of 4 corners on my Black Navigator, and had them all fixed this way.
    The lights did not come on on tues or wed, parked the car on thurs. While the car was parked and I was doing some outside work, I noticed that the interior lights came on, tried to shut them off opened and closed the doors, still stayed on. After about 45 minutes they went off automatically. I checked interior light switch and it was off. Took the car to the dealer for diagnosis this am. Don't have too much hope that they will find the cause...
    Neither do I. Unless you can get it over there while it's lit....they're going to have a hard time locating it.
  • tloftustloftus Member Posts: 7
    Have had my 2004 Expedition for 18 months and love it! Now my 1st problem, even though small. I have 6 discs in the in-dash CD. Went to turn it on yesterday and it says "NO CD"...whats up with that????
  • tired1tired1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Expedition with the same problem. I took it to the dealer and they said that Ford is aware of the problem and may recall any day. I only have 2500 miles on mine. It is so bad I can hear it over the radio when driving! I cannot believe a $38,000 should have to be taken back to the dealer this early in the game.
    Yeah, it's not that uncommon, unfortunately, even with a Bose system. My Infiniti did the same. Anyway, your pickup in the CD reader has failed. You gotta get a new one. Take it in.

Good for you though, first problem in 18 months! Not a bad record, eh? I'm finding my 2003 Navigator to also be quite a dependable old girl myself. Very pleased with her.
  • jameslgjameslg Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2003 Expedition that had the rear end rebuilt at 9000 miles. The problem came back at about 13000 and Dealer will not do anything else to it. They set up a meeting with Ford Zone Manager and after a 5 minute ride he tells me I have a good one and will not do anything to help. He told me if the noise was bothering me to turn up the radio. I said it did not sound that way when I bought the car and he said you should never assume a new car will sound the same after 5000 miles. If you want to know how the vehicle will sound and act you need to drive a demo with at least 5000 miles on it. I can not believe what I have been told. Any suggestions?