Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• utah_streetutah_street Member Posts: 5
    How does the Ford Loyalty Discount work? I cannot seem to find this on the Fordvehicles.com web site. I am interested in a 2003 4.6L Popular Expedition
  • jenrdrjenrdr Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I'd appreciate some advice. I was at a dealership tonight negotiating for a new 2003 EB 4x2 5.4L. MSRP was 42155. Invoice was approx 37800. The dealership was running an ad that said 10,000 off msrp. It also showed 0% financing available. Only in little print at the bottom did it say price included all rebates. Turns out the 10,000 included the 3,000 rebate instead of 0% financing, 400 college grad rebate and 750 military rebate all of which had to be added in in you didn't qualify. The final price they offered me was approx 1800 under invoice before tax and tags.

Is this a fair deal? How much value will the 2003 models lose since soon they'll be considered 1 year old. Any responses are appreciated.
  • siggie1siggie1 Member Posts: 56
    First, in the fine print where it says the price includes all rebates, does it say you have to qualify for all rebates? Once they advertise a price and say it includes all rebates and don't state that YOU have to qualify for the rebates, then it is their problem, they have taken responsibility for all rebates and they should abide by the advertised price. If the ad says that you have to qualify for all rebates, and specifies those rebates and their amounts, then they have stated the obvious and just given you a guide as to what you might be able to save. I had a similar situation this past Sunday on an almost identical vehicle and walked out of the dealership once they pulled that B.S. on me. They said that I did not qualify for the lease loyalty rebate (which they stated was $2000, but was probably $1000 along with the $400 college grad rebate and $750 military rebate that you refer to). I went into the dealership assuming that the ad was B.S., and they justified my suspicions. I will not have anything to do with a dealership that pulls such tactics.

If you choose to deal with them then I'd suggest you check out the TMV pricing on this site. Edmunds is reporting the TMV price of a 5.4L EB Expedition at about at $25 over invoice before the $3000 rebate, or about $2975 below invoice after the rebate. The CarsDirect.com price for that type of vehicle is coming in $2600 below invoice after the rebate and that's a guaranteed no haggle price. $1800 under invoice with the rebate doesn't sound very good to me.
  • ajdirobbioajdirobbio Member Posts: 1
    I just a dealer quote me 41950 on an 03 eddie, loaded, but it is a demo with 6k on it! others are quoting same price on new ones, how much should they really come down with 6000 miles.
  • siggie1siggie1 Member Posts: 56
    We leased an '03 Expedition at the end of August. We had an excellent experience with Midway Ford in Miami and LeaseCompare.com. I received quotes from a number of South Florida dealers and the Midway Ford quote was the best by about $400. I was afraid that, as the old saying goes, if it is too good to be true...Fortunately, it was true and there was no B.S. I dealt with the Internet Manager. He was great. He quoted the price, arranged for the test drive, and then stuck by that price and delivered the vehicle. We leased through LeaseCompare.com and got a lease rate that was significantly below Ford's Red Carpet Lease. Even though it took 6 days to process the paperwork (we applied for the lease on a Saturday and the paperwork did not get finished until the next Friday), Midway Ford stuck with us and didn't try to rush us or put any pressure on us. In order to avoid the Labor Day holiday both Midway Ford and LeaseCompare worked together to wire the funds so we could take delivery on the Friday of the holiday weekend.
  • slaughter2slaughter2 Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a 2003 Expedition XLT this past March. We bought the factory installed rear DVD player. In the brochure it said it came with 2 wireless headphones. When I picked up the car, there were 2 "wired" headphones. I am having trouble getting them to give me wireless headphones. It causes a problem because the wired headphones will not reach to the 3rd row and so whoever sits there cannot listen to the movie. Anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you resolve it? Thanks!
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    I just replaced my 99 Expy with a C code 03. Eddie Bauer, moon roof, climate seats, canopy, powerfold. MSRP 45,110, X plan price 39,709, less 6k in rebates (4 customer cash, 1 bonus cash, 1 X plan cash). I'm having the Contitracs changed to Michelin LTX's before dleivery for $150 for all 5. Happy enough with the price that I didn't want to wait for the 3 valve '05 like I had originaly planned.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Alwaysfords, what the heck is the X Plan? How does one apply/qualify/bs ones way into it? It looks like you not only got the X plan discount but also 1K in X plan cash with a final price of $33,700?
    The A plan is for Ford Employees, the X plan is for employees of "Ford Partners". The X plan price is 4% above "dealer true net invoice" which basically removes all the dopey advertising and regional fees they try to get you with. I also didn't get charged for locating and getting my car since it wasn't at my local dealer.
    When you see an invoice it lists MSRP, A plan, and X plan prices. You can also browse actual inventory on line and get the prices for any vehicles in stock.
    My company is a Ford Partner so there wasn't any BS needed.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    If you've recently bought or are shopping for a used domestic vehicle, a reporter working on a front page story for a major midwestern newspaper is hoping to talk with you asap. Please respond with your daytime contact info by 5pm Eastern Tuesday, September 30 to jfallon@edmunds.com. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• estevesesteves Member Posts: 12
    In California, looking to get a 2003 EB 4x4 with
    1. Moonroof
    2. Rearseat DVD
    3. AdvanceTrac
    4. Climate Controlled Seats
    5. Front & Rear Canopy airbags
    6. Power Fold Rear Seats

Since it's the end of the year, most of the available selections have these options. I've calculated the invoice price + $740 destination to be $41411 - 3% invoice holdback - 1.25% MSRP Blue Ovaldealer holdback - $4000 rebate = $35470.53 (true invoice) for this model with these options.
    7.75% tax = $3209.35
    Title + registration = $621
    Emissions = $50
    Document Preparation = $45
    Health & safety code fees = $6
    Tire fee = $1

Total with above = $39402.88

Sales Manager @ Stan Morri Ford said he would see vehicle $100 over invoice, so I'm thinking of offering $39500 out the door price. What does everyone here think? Does my math sound okay or am I missing something?
    When the dealer is talking about "invoice" they are not including you taking their holdback. Generally dealers do not sell into holdback. If they are selling vehicles for $100 over true net invoice they will be out of business soon.
  • tbooth2tbooth2 Member Posts: 33
    Two things come to mind before purchasing this vehicle:

a) Make sure last six of vin number start with "C", b)test drive vehicle at freeway speeds. If steering wheel nibbles and or vehicle shakes request a tire remount and complete balance then test drive vehicle again. Don't sign anything until you've done this. If vehicle still shakes, shimmies or vibrates, pass on it and test another vehicle. This advice will save you a lot of time and frustration.
  • ineedwheels3ineedwheels3 Member Posts: 1
    I found a used 2003 EB with 41,000 miles. The dealer is asking $27,995 but I think that's way too much given the mileage. I was thinking of offering $24,000-$25,000. Also, I'm a little concerned about the high mileage. 41K is over 3X the national average (annual). Should I be concerned about the mileage? Any thoughts on the mileage and what price I should offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
  • nancykvnancykv Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a brand new 2003 EB and got an excellent deal! The MSRP was 42,175, less 7k dealer "discount" and the 4k rebate. We chose the rebate over the financing because we're planning on paying off the vehicle early. Out the door (plus all the doc and licensing fees) for 31,175. It's a base EB 4x4, no additions, but a fantastic truck.

Easy buying experience. Got internet quotes from dealers all over California, but this EB was a advertised "loss leader". Purchased from Surburban Ford in Sacramento.
  • fkocourfkocour Member Posts: 1
    Last Friday I purchased this brand new SUV at $100 over dealer invoice. Great vehicle! I received a $1,500 cash incentive plus a $500.00 cash incentive.

Yesterday I received a call from the dealer saying that the additional $500 incentive given to me was a mistake and was only available for those who took the Ford Motor financing (I took my own financing). They want their $500 back.

Not trying to take unfair advantage of the dealer for an honest mistake. Am I being led down the garden path?
    If you felt you were dealt with fairly on every other level and that the sales experience was a pleasant one, maybe it was an honest mistake and the money should be returned. On the other hand, they've probably already recouped the loss with the next customer.
  • khagerkhager Member Posts: 15
    Alwaysfords,

Where or how do you find out about the 1K X plan cash and 1K bonus cash. I go to the ford partner web site and search the inventory and all they show is MSRP and X Plan prices and another page on the site shows the 4K rebate, but I don't see no mention of the other 2 rebates. Thanks
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,252
    what do you think would happen if you went back and said i offered you $500 too much, can i have it back? :) maybe they'll meet you halfway, or do something to compensate you for their mistake.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I suspect that the dealer is right in this case. (At least that's my reading of various Ford offers.) But request a letter from the senior Ford guy in the Zone or a senior person at Ford Finance to confirm.

Then take the high ground and offer to return it. But, to make your point that you're an ethical guy and someone who wants that quality recognized, you should ask to return it in person to the dealer principal. If they say, no, he's too busy etc. , I would hold firm that you want to return it principal-to-principal (you ARE the principal in your company or family, aren't you?). Then the next time you have a service issue you can draw on this.
    The three rebates were all mentioned on the partners site at the time I bought mine - it was 4k+1k+1k all put together in a chart.
  • jim52jim52 Member Posts: 161
    I am looking to lease a Lincoln Navigator and the dealer is pushing Wearcare. Is this a good deal or is Ford typically very lenient at lease end?
    Getting ready to make a deal on an 2003 EB Expedition 4x4. TBooth2 mentioned to make sure the last six of the VIN number starts with a "C".

What's the purpose of this? Is there a certain build date to avoid?

Also to test drive it at freeway speed and check for vehicle shake. How evident is this? Significant or you really have to be on a flat road, going straight and really listening?

Anything else to look for?

Vehicle comes with the following:

Rear-seat DVD
    Advance Trac
    Climate Controlled Seats
    Airbag Canopy
    Power Rear-Fold Seats

Thanks...
    A,B,C revisions: A is early build, B is build date before 6/03, C is build date after 6/03. If you look at TSBs for "steering wheel shimmy" and others, you'll find that the fix is only indicated for vehicles built before 6/03 which tells me that whatever was defective has since been corrected or minimized with later builds. The vibration and shake will be fairly obvious. It's not a sound, it's a feel. If after asking for a balance and rotation of the tires before you buy and the symptoms still exist, put your purchase on hold and test drive another Expedition, a GMC Yukon/Denali, Tahoe, and/or a Toyota Sequoia, and if you feel a difference in the ride (especially through the steering wheel and gas pedal), then you might have a problem that will totally frustrate you when you go in to have it fixed (remember, you've already had the tires balanced and rotated, so if it's not that, then what is it?) PS - rear seat DVD is a great option and the canopy protection will make your insurance company happy. Power fold down seats? I guess it depends on how long you want to stand there and hold the button down - as far as I know, it's not one touch. Plus, if you have small children, it could be a safety hazard as it doesn't sense objects in its path. With mine, I just pull the handle up on mine, push, and poof - the seats are down. Hope you get a good one and enjoy!
    Thanks for the information.

Didn't have much of choice with the power fold seats. With it being end of October, not too many '03 out there with the options and color I wanted. Didn't really care for power fold seats, but oh well. It had all I wanted and the color I wanted, so I went with that. I'll check on the VIN. Thanks for the info.
    Okay, it looks like an A build. So, your post seems to indicate that A and B builds are the ones that have a TSB out for them and only the C builds don't have a TSB or are you saying that ONLY those with the letter B is the last six digits of the VIN get the TSB.

What does A build mean? Early build, meaning built in 2002?
    A build (Aug-Sept 2002), B build (around Feb. 2003) and C build beginning of June 2003. Hope this helps - these are not exacts, but they at least give you an idea. I have friendsand neighbors who have "A" builds and have no problems whatsoever, but as I stated before, you want to improve your chances of being a happy Expy owner hence the reason you want to do as much research as possible. I thought I did and got unlucky.
    I was also told that with regardsto the Rear Seat DVD option, A Builds did not receive wireless headsets because those DVDs did not have wireless ports built into the monitors and people with A builds got WIRED headsets. While B & C builds got the wireless headsets.

Anyone confirm this?
    As far as I can tell, that's true. When I first looked at Expys when they came out, the dealer was really pushing the aftermarker DVD due to the fact it was "wireless" and factory was not. Then when I bought this summer (mine was Feb. 03 "B" build), mine is wireless. If you buy, make sure the dealer doesn't pull a switcheroo on you and give you the old DVD system. I've heard of that happening.
  • amcurranamcurran Member Posts: 3
    Dealers in New England insist on $405 Ford Adv. fee built into invoice. That said, 3 area dealers agreed to a 2004 EB Expedition with moon roof, heat/cool seats, DVD, safety canopy, second row captains chairs, limited slip rear axle, tow package, and power fold third seat for $300 below invoice (plus I get the $2000 rebate). Due to a dealer quote error, I will not be charged for the tow package. My net price before deducting the rebate is $41,887.50 (includes destination but not tax). The dealer gets 100% of their 3% hold back of MSRP plus as a blue oval dealer they get 1.25% of invoice from Ford. Two of the three dealers low balled my trade in then matched my best trade in offer. I started the process with 12 emails to area dealers requesting the vehicle at invoice before stepping into the showroom. The dealer is also matching a 4.09% local interest rate.
    Amcurrnan, nice job. I'm curious though. Procedurally, after asking for a quote at invoice, how did you get a lower figure? Did you have a second round of solicited bids? How did you establish your legitimacy, sight unseen, to get such good responses? Anyone in the New England area not responsive to email type rfq's or game players? Who was the lucky guy that got a chance to make 5.25% (and even more if he had a spiff on the financing) on a 41K invoice (do the math: that's much better than any bond, even a junk bond, pays)?
    Currently there is a $4000 rebate for the Expedition.

I was also told by a Fleet Sales Manager that there is a $500 rebate as well and the total rebate should be $4500.

Does anyone know where the $500 rebate comes from and how to get it?
    After initial Email responses from dealers regarding 04 Expedition at invoice I sent out new emails asking for a reasonable yet more competitive bid as I had 3 dealers at the same price point (invoice). The strategy resulted in 3 more offers from $100 - $200 below invoice. I then sent out a final email asking for $300 below invoice and all three dealers agreed. Establishing legitamcy was easy. I gave the dealers my home phone number and a timeline (3 weeks) as to when I was going complete my research and purchase. Their loan rate was based on a $8000-$9000 note as I elected not to pull the needed funds from a 401K loan (too lucrative lately). The selected dealer was initially advised that I was securing my own financing. I just agreed to let them compete on financing after I got my best local rate. The dealer I worked with is fairly sizeable for our area and is located in Agawam, Massachusetts.
    Thanks for the info. I'm still intrigued by your no sweat approach: how did you get the email addreses? Is there a public list of email addresses for Ford dealers?

In re-reading your specs, I was struck by how close they were to a Navigator and so I wondered why you didn't consider a Nav. Is it that perhaps Lincoln dealers don't wheel and deal as much as Ford stores so not only would the MSRP be higher but perhaps the discount less?
    For Ford dealer email addresses go to www.fordvehicles.com and click on dealerships/locate a dealer. Plug in your zip code for a local dealer search. Click on the dealer name and the next pop up has a "contact us" bar for email. I ruled out the navigator for many reasons. There is a ford dealer within 1/2 mile from my office (service), the Navigator was more expensive, and I prefer the aesthetics of the Expedition. The 2003 Navigator program vehicles I tested had the auto lift gate feature. I am 5'8" and hit my head on the ceiling while seated in the third row of the Navigator. The Expedition does not offer the auto liftgate feature and the dealer thought the reduction in ceiling height of the Navigator was due to the lift gate motor. I am not sure if this is true but I know the ceiling height of the Navigator (third row) was reduced due to the differently contoured ceiling. I believe the 2004 Navigator has a better rebate ($2500) than the 2004 Expedition and the Lincoln dealers get 2% MSRP holdback and 2.5% of invoice from Lincoln (high volume dealers).
  • tim3579tim3579 Member Posts: 1
    Found a great deal and took it. 04' Eddie Bauer 4x2, 4.6L with only extra option of 3.73 Limited Slip Diff. Brand New with 10miles in it.
    Paid $31,500 not including tax/tags/transfer. That price did include the Destination Fee and $100 Doc Fee.
    I still cannot believe how little they sold it for. I know that the 4x2 with 4.6L is not the most desirable but I paid less than i would have for an Explorer and it has all the standard options of the Eddie Bauer!!
  • huitaolhuitaol Member Posts: 3
    I am in the market now for a full size SUV. I am in Austin TX and will use it mostly for highway trips and around town. 2WD is all I need. However, I currently drive a Nissan frontier and I know rwd can be scary when road is wet. Can you experts help me decide on which feature do I need, limited slip differential or the Electronic stability control system? Looks like it is only available one or the other.

BTW, Do you think invoice+100-rebate will be a fair deal for a 2004?

Thanks!
  • adolledadolled Member Posts: 6
    Just found a remaining 03 XLT. Smaller V8, Leather and a couple other options bringing the MSRP to 38635.00 What is a good price for this vehicle? MFG rebate is $4500.

Please tell me if my thoughts are out of line. I think a fair offer would be:

Invoice ($34270) less rebate ($4500) less $1000 for a grand total of $28870.

The extra 1000 gives me a total of $3000 discount compared to a similar equipped 04 model.

Your opinions are appreciated
  • bakerkrbakerkr Member Posts: 1
    Did my homework and got a great deal on a loaded '03 demo w/ 8K miles on it.

My mistake was not being prepared for the ESP programs. Ended up paying $2,000 for ExtraCare ESP for 6yr/100,000 with 100% refund available if no claims are made. Also paid $1,595 for the 4yr/60,000 QualityCare Maintenance plan.

I have 30 days to cancel these contracts and get the refund against my loan. What have others paid for these contracts? (I do need some extended contract as I am a "buy & keep" kind of owner. Typically keep vehicles past 100k mileage.)
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I would really ditch the 1600 maintenance plan. There is no way you should spend that much on maintenance in 60k. Check edmunds maintenance guide and add it up. If you spend more than 400/yr on maintenance just to break even.
  • mrbigdrawzmrbigdrawz Member Posts: 1
    WAS 31070 out the door !!! no bs with 10 miles. if u live if fla , it is worth checking out brandon ford
  • corpuscorpus Member Posts: 37
    I drove home a 2003 Fx4 with leather and 6-disc CD today. My price was $29,445 plus $50 doc. fee plus TTL. I started at invoice ($35,656), subtracted the $4,000 rebate, then subtracted 33 cents/mile (6700 miles). The check I wrote was $31,400 with TT&L (6.25% tax).

On the way home I realized why I've been happy with my 1994 Suburban for ten years and 120,000 very hard miles (towing, off road). It still is more comfortable than the Expedition on the road. You can really feel the road in the Expedition, which is why I thought I liked it around town--very stiff feeling and responsive. I won't look forward to road trips in this vehicle.

I fell for the convenience of the third row seat folding down, the independent rear suspension, and the good looks. We'll see how much I get used to it.
  • sstaylorsstaylor Member Posts: 35
    Greetings,

After working with several local dealerships for an '04 E.B., I picked up my white, 5.4l with climate control package, power 3rd row seat, and rear seat DVD from John Bleakley Ford, in Atlanta area, this past Friday. Price was $33.5k and change. They treated me well, and got my business.

I did a combination of internet and face to face dealing with other dealers, plus a LOT of searching via FordDirect for a vehicle with the options I wanted. A caveat on FordDirect; what they say a dealers has and what a dealer actually has can sometimes mismatch. I found one vehicle with exactly what I wanted, but with I checked the dealership, the vehicle with the same VIN# had more factory options (we are talking about computer data entry here, after all...).

Serious searching/negotiating took a week, and I learned some new tricks. Check my post in the Expedition Trade-in board, where I talk about my CarMax experience.

Overall, I had a good time, and got what I wanted for my price.

Scott
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A tv reporter is looking to interview a recent carbuyer who had to sign an arbitration contract at the dealership. Please respond to jackie.sobie@newpronet.com or jfallon@edmunds.com by 12/12/03 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sstaylorsstaylor Member Posts: 35
    Kristie,

How would I know if I signed one? I just got a new expy last Friday.

Scott
  • doublebogeydoublebogey Member Posts: 2
    In the market for the following Eddie Bauer Expy with the following options. Please let me know what the lowest price I should expect to pay... your help is greatly appreciated.

2004 4X4 EDDIE BAUER
    Price Information MSRP
    STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE - $41,435

Key Standard Equipment
    ORDER CODE 400A-EDDIE BAUER
    REVERSE SENSING SYSTEM
    MIRRORS, POWER HEATED/SIGNA
    COLOR KEY RUNNING BOARD-BEI
    ELECTROCHROMIC REARVIEW MIR
    DEATC W/AUX CLIMATE CONTROL
    TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SY

Optional Equipment
    2004 MODEL YEAR
    OXFORD WHITE CLEARCOAT
    MED PARCHMENT CAPT CHAIR, LTHR
    .5.4L EFI V8 ENGINE
    .4 SPD AUTO TR NAAO AODEW/4R75
    .P265/70R-17 OWL ALL-TERRAIN
    SEC ROW CAPT CHAIR $795
    POWER MOONROOF $860
    ADVANCE TRAC $795
    HEAVY DUTY TRAILER TOW $350
    NAVIGATION RADIO $1,995
    SAFETY CANOPY W/ROLLOVER SENSG $650
    3RD ROW POWER FOLD SEAT $495
    REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT DVD $1,500

TOTAL MSRP $49,670
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the True Market Value for starters. Then try to beat it :-)

Steve, Host
  • corpuscorpus Member Posts: 37
    I posted above that the Expedition was not comfortable on the road. I have since learned that the ContiTrac tires are to blame. I had the dealer balance them, to no avail. He then agreed to pay $250 towards replacing them.

I am now on Cooper Discoverer AT LT265/70/17's, with a noticeable improvement on the road. The steering wheel was vibrating before with the ContiTrac's, because they couldn't get them into balance. Now it is smooth as silk. The Cooper's were $575 with tax, mounted and balanced. Money well spent.
  • customeyezcustomeyez Member Posts: 5
    I currently own a 99 Expedition and am in the process of purchasing a 04’. I just started reading the posts on this site and I am getting nervous with what I am hearing about the vibrations and the body clad rattles. I can’t find what I want on the dealer lot so I will be ordering one, the problem is that I won’t know the VIN until after I order the car and I will not have the opportunity to test drive it.
    Any advice you can give me regarding the “shacking” would be appreciated
    The VIN specific issues were the '03. I haven't seen any mention of '04 specific VIN information.