Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jddaerojddaero Member Posts: 3
    I sold my '94 Explorer and I just bought a '97 Expedition Eddie Bauer model. It is green with gray leather interior. 5.4 Engine, factory sunroof, Mach radio/CD system w/ sub wooofer. Just no heated seat, oh well. Got it from a dealer for $5800.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who just purchased or are looking to purchase a large SUV. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday May 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PST/8:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and the vehicle you are interested in purchasing or just purchased (please provide approx. date of purchase).

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • rdhossrdhoss Member Posts: 2
    Interesting that the most recent post here is from May. I guess there isn't much action on Expeditions these days.

I am thinking of buying one, though. Am I nuts? I've always loved the look of the truck and my family could really use the large vehicle. I do drive about 60 miles a day to and from work, so the gas is a concern. I've never considered buying one in the past because they were too expensive for us.

But, my dealer is offering a $40K XLT for about $36K (X Plan) with 0% financing. They've said they can't take any more off the price. Should I believe them?

When I tried to test drive the truck, the battery was dead. It's got 8 miles on it, so nobody's been test driving it.

Any thoughts?

Ron
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I have a trade-in with a negative equity and planning to roll it? What will be the best offer that I can give to the dealer?

With negative trade in eqity you'd better plan on keeping the Expo a long time. I bought an 04 EB on the X Plan. $47,000 MSRP with discount and rebates I had $36,000 in it. I unloaded it with low milage a few months ago and the best I could get was $23,000 on trade. I saw several of them in the nearby city on the lots for $25,000 and figured it'd be difficult to move it myself.

I lost my butt on it but just didn't want to live with the 14.6mpg that I averaged over the life of the vehicle. (Having the rear end go out at 700 miles didn't give me much long term confidence in it either)
    I do drive about 60 miles a day to and from work, so the gas is a concern. I've never considered buying one in the past because they were too expensive for us.

First I can't imagine facing $4 gas in the possible near future why you'd want something like this to commute 60 miles a day (>8 gallons a day?) If you can afford that then the price of the vehicle should be of little concern.

If you do get it plan to keep it. With the discounting in recent years these things depreciate like a rock falling out of the sky. 0% financing is great if you know you're going to keep it for the full term, if not then a $4000 rebate m ay be best. I don't really know what they are offering but you can see on my above post what I paid for my 04 EB (loaded 4X4).

I do like the looks although the new Tahoe looks great. However large SUV's just don't hold their value.

I just saw this weekend some $59,000 Escalades (new, old body style) at the dealer for $44,000. Tell me what the owners that paid $54,000 will think about that.

I needed one vehicle that I could tow with but I went back to Toyota and got a mid size (4 runner). To each their own, but as much as I loved the large seats I just won't do it again (buy large)
    I am thinking of buying one, though. Am I nuts?

One last thought. Buy Used. There are 1 to 2 yr old ones out there in the low 20's with warranty still left on them. Pay $1200 extra and get a 100,000 extended warranty.

You mentioned that they were too expensive for you. If this is a reach, don't get yourself into a vehicle that puts you in a bind and especially one that may not be easy to get rid of if indeed gas hits $4.
  • rdhossrdhoss Member Posts: 2
    The dealer let me take the truck home for a day to see how we like it. They put almost a half-tank of gas in it and away we went. I drove it home from the dealer, then to work. I took some co-workers out to lunch in it and drove it home. As I was driving it from my house back to the dealer, the "Low Fuel Level" indicator came on.

One day of driving used nearly a half tank of gas!!! I handed the key to the dealer and told them thanks for their time. I then drove my '03 29 MPG BMW 3-Series home.

Thanks for your replies. It was your blunt response ("I can't imagine why you'd want something like this to commute 60 miles a day.") that knocked me into reality. The test drive cemented it.

Perhaps it will be the right choice in a couple of years when they release the hybrid Expedition.

Ron
  • salty600xsalty600x Member Posts: 3
    Thinking about buying a ford expedition........ Better think again..

Wife and I have been spending 150 per week in gas for this beast 2003 Eddid Bauer and the real kicker is trying to trade it in.. I have tried everything to sell it private and not 1 single call!!!!!! We eventually got 16,500 for a trade for a nice gas sipper Nissan Murano.. See ya ford. good ridance
    It was your blunt response ("I can't imagine why you'd want something like this to commute 60 miles a day.") that knocked me into reality.

Sometimes bluntness is a way to emphasize the seriousness of my comment.

I have a John Deere Tractor and a set of Jet Ski's I need to haul so I need at least one SUV/truck. I had an Infiniti FX45 but it was marginal as far as hauling the tractor, OK with the ski's. I loved it but it was my "Sunday" car and we drove the Expo full time.

I ended up with two trades and got a Toyota 4Runner that I plan on having as a low milage towing and winter vehicle. I also trade the Infiniti (16.3mpg) for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Not quite the luxury of the Infiniti but at 7000 miles I'm averaging 38.6 mpg. I'll probably put 30,000 miles a year on this and 6 to 7000 on the 4 Runner.

If a large SUV is something someone just has to have (as a second vehicle) I would recommend shopping around for someone wanting to unload it and buy it cheap. If you can get one for $15,000 then it's a throw away when you're done with it. I lost about that much in depreciation in the 1 1/2 year I had mine. I really was afraid as the prices of gas go up that I simply would not be able to get rid of it and I knew it was not something I wanted to own in 2 or 3 years.

However, if the EXPO had a powerstroke diesel capable of averaging 20 mpg, I would indeed consider owning and keeping it long term.

I love the width and big seats but I really didn't need the third row and would have liked it to be about 2 feet shorter.

Why is it the car makers use small seats in small cars and large seats in big ones???? Give me a reasonable sized vehicle and cram two large seats in it and I would be happy. (Even the Tahoe interior seems small to me)
  • raven242raven242 Member Posts: 2
    Looking at a 2005 Espedition XLT [ new left over]
    Wedgewood blue, Gray leather interior,5.4,4X4, auto O/D,
    power driver seat,flip 2nd row, power rear seat,tinted windows,power moon roof, 6 cd radio, carpeted mats, tow package, a few morew things she [ the wife likes].
    Sticker is
    The dealer [Newins Ford in Bayshore Long island] will go down to 32,000 [plus Tax etc.] and throw in a remote start.
    Good deal ???
    Vinnie :confuse:
  • raven242raven242 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry I blew it. Has the above and
    The Expedition is a 2005 XLT Sport
    Standard not HD tow package
    Tech convience Package
    Safty Package
    Power Adjustable pedals
    Thanks again.
    Anything else I can push them for?
    PS Didn't test drive YET. The battery was DEAD and I wanted them to stew for a day or two. Vinnie
  • scottk517scottk517 Member Posts: 4
    2007 Expedition EL Eddie Bauer
    Factory Order
    Navagation
    DVD
    Power Liftgate
    Conv Pack
    Climate Control seats
    HD Towing
    Rubber Mats

$45,500 price before incentives
    Long Island, NY

Hope It helps
  • jimk6615jimk6615 Member Posts: 6
    Looking for a 2007 expedition xlt with tech pkg, convenience pkg,comfort group luggage rack
    sirius radio, third row seat. MSRP is 32,880.00 Can use X plan. Dealer in Florida tells me X plan price is 30847.26. I was under the impression that X plan was close to invoice pricing. Edmonds invoice price on this is 30353.00. Why are they asking 543.00 more than invoice? This vehicle also has a 1000.00 rebate in addition. Any info appreciated. Thank you.
    Jim Keiper
  • scottk517scottk517 Member Posts: 4
    you do not think that $543.00 is close to invoice on a 30k truck? That like 1% to 2% over their cost. Sounds resonable to me. X plan is given by the manufacturer and every dealer will charge the same amount. Remember, dealerships are a business too.
  • e91e91 Member Posts: 3
    Looking at the 07 Expedition. Current rebate of $1,000 doesn't excite me. I'm not in a hurry and would appreciate feedback (from past experience) as to when the larger rebates will kick in and how large might they get? I know it's a guess, but maybe someone out there has an educated one. Thanks in advance.
    You have to look at the final price. We just purchased a 2007 Expedition XLT to replace our 2004 Expedition. The sticker or MSRP is 29175.00 on the 2007. While the MSRP on the 2004 was 34325.00 for the XLT with the basic options. The new one has a 5.4 engine, side curtain airbags and traction control on it as standard. These were not on the 2004. Granted the rebates were a little larger at the time but it is still cheaper today than in 2004. What else can you buy for less money 4 years later. For the record, we love the new one . It gets 18 MPG and has a very quiet ride. I think the manufacturers are elimating the old smoke and mirrors pricing and being more realistic. Look around and see what you can get for 30,00 grand, not much.
    Go for it.
  • e91e91 Member Posts: 3
    I have RSS feeds directly into my email from FORD. They just bumped the cash back by $500...to $1500. I appreciate your input regards the fact that that the 07 is priced lower than the previous generation. My point still stands that this is a new vehicle (not in huge demand given fuel price issues), it dropped by another $500 today on cash back, and I'm certain as time goes on we will see $3-$4K cash back. Given the news today about the US auto industry we are going to get some deals in the near future. The nice thing is that I don't need a new vehicle but want a new one. I'm going to hold tight and see what happens in the next few months and then bite.
  • hamzathamzat Member Posts: 1
    Is this option worth getting if I don't tow anything? Is this option basically for heavy towing? Also, does anyone know if adding the Air Suspension eliminates anything from the regular suspention or does it just add to it? Is the ride comfort the same with or without the air suspension? Thanks in advance for your input.
  • fs34fs34 Member Posts: 2
    I test drove a 2007 expedition limited. Overall it was nice but has anyone noticed how cheap the plastic handle is on the
    transmission shifter. Not just that it is bad fake wood but that the 2 pieces actually move relative to the center
    part of the handle. I can't believe Ford would do this on
    on a part of the vehicle that drivers interact every day with.
  • fordchrisfordchris Member Posts: 10
    i have a limited el built for 55,000 im buying it for 41,421.00 after the 200 dollar rebate and my x-plan discount :) its nice
    i meant 2,000
  • fs34fs34 Member Posts: 2
    Chris,

What is a X-plan?
    well my dads company is a big buyer of ford trucks for thier line of work so the x-plan gives discounts to people who work in ford vehicles etc. but i got a policy number from the fleet guy who buys the ford trucks for my dads work and it lets you buy it at about 500 dollars over invoice but you add in all the other discounts welp you get a good deal :shades:
  • sirrafsirraf Member Posts: 55
    I was looking at the new Expedition and noticed that the wheels on the Limited were what Ford calls "Chrome CLAD Aluminum Wheels". These are nothing more than PLASTIC WHEEL COVERS. When you upgrade the 18" wheels to 20" it does not cost more but they want $995 extra for the tires.

At least when you purchase the Navigator you can upgrade the wheels and get real Chrome Aluminum Wheels and not plastic covers.
  • mrconklinmrconklin Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Northern VA area and I just purchased a 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. The MSRP on it was $48,510 and the invoice price was $43,875. The dealer offered $1000 under invoice plus the $2000 or 2500 rebates. This brings the price to $40,875 for a lease or $40,375 to buy. I went with the lease option myself. This was all with no haggling either. I contacted the dealer through their internet sales department and this is the initial no haggle price they offered. This price actually beat the "big sale price" the dealer offered if you walked in off the street by $1500.
  • buzzz1buzzz1 Member Posts: 42
    What kind of rebates are they offering in CA on Expeditions? I got a price of $40, 235 EB with load leveling, power tailgate, power convenience, heavy duty towing, satellite radio. I asked the dealer about cash back rebates and he was vague. Is 2-3K cash back unusual in this market?
  • steve148steve148 Member Posts: 1
    I've been recently looking for a 2005-2007 used Expedition and have noticed two things: 1. Used Expeditions are only available from dealers (at least in my area); and 2. given the drop in demand, prices are not as low as I expected.

The fact that Expeditions are only available from dealers is not entirely unexpected since most Expedition owners looking to sell couldn't sell to other private parties (no demand) and therefore traded in their Expedition to a dealer for a smaller vehicle. And as noted in this forum, the trade in value was typically under the published trade in value (again, no demand).

What has surprised me, however, is that this significant drop in demand has not led to an equally expected significant drop in the price dealers are asking for used Expeditions.

Since dealers own all of the new and used Expeditions, they are in a position to set the asking price and artificially hold up the prices of used Expeditions. Are they? Or is there some other explaination?
  • bb3451bb3451 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, I am looking at a demo with 5000 miles on it. What kind of discount below invoice should I shoot for on this. Right now we are at 1000 under invoice, but I don't think that this is any way near enough to justify the mileage and the fact the the truck is essentially used. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sounds expensive to me. Try to find out what a new one using the Ford's X plan would cost. After all it is now a year old. Go to Ford.com and check out what other dealers are asking for used and new ones. We own a 2007 and it is the best one we've had. We made the mistake of buying a 2004 when the 05's were out and then traded for a 2007. After driving it for two years and trading up 3 we essentially lost any gain on the price of the new one. Good luck.
  • bb3451bb3451 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, how do I find out what the x plan would cost? Also, will the dealer offer the x plan price to anyone?
    yuu have to know a ford employee who can give you a special price. it is usually is just below invoice. Again the way we found our last one was on the internet on ford.com. you can plug in by zipcode and get all the dealers inventory. Also, go to Edmonds.com.
    Good luck.

Jim K

P.S. Don't forget about factory incentives as well.
    Well, I've been active on the Camry Hybrid forum for over a year but I'm a newbie here. Just took delivery of an 08 EB Expo. I needed something to haul my John Deere, jet skis and at times my kids and grandkids. Tried the Surburban, acceptable but expensive, the Tahoe just was not comfortable or roomy enough. I'm dreading the 14mpg, but will live with it knowing up this front before buying.

I finialy decided to lease for two years and with a 52% residual, I can buy this in two years and have less money in it than had I bought it outright now. The money factor on the lease is outstanding so I'm in effect getting the first 48% of the depreciation financed at 0.5%. Additionally I get the XPlan pricing and the $1500 in current rebates as a capital cost reduction. This way I have the option to walk away if gas is $5/gallon or I have electrical gremlins or something else that makes me regret this decision. This was the best of both options (assuming I can live with it for at least two years.
  • kevinulmskevinulms Member Posts: 3
    does anyone know the going lease price for a2007expedition el limited loaded with 3500 dollars upfront to pay for tax title tag ect
    I just leased an 08EB. From everything I saw at the dealership it's actually better to lease an 08 than an 07 due to the money factor and residuals.

My 08 had a 0.5% interest rate, 2 year lease, 52% residual (3% lower due to a 19,500 mile per year milage). The price included WV property tax, sales tax added monthly and gap insurance. I ran the numbers every way I could and it was considerably cheaper for me to lease this for 2 years even with the intention of buying it at the end of the lease than it was to simply buy it up front. I'm new to leasing but getting the first 48% depreciation financed at 0.5% really makes the difference. I believe the interest rate used on the 07 was 9%. I priced a 07Surburban (salesman demo) lease and it was sky high, even after they discounted it $11,000 (53000 MSRP to 42,000 sale price).

Worked so well we also leased an 08F150 for my daughter and son-in-law. They did the 3 year lease and plan to buy later.

I liked this because if gas does indeed hit $5 I'll walk away from this and won't be $8000 upside down as I would have been in a traditional loan.
  • kevinulmskevinulms Member Posts: 3
    whats your monthly payment and how much cash did you give up front...
    I don't have my papers with me but as best I can remember the monthly payment is $760 and it includes the gap insurance, state property and sales taxes, Money down was the $1500 in rebates and about $1400 (includes security deposit) The 19,500 miles/yr is a pretty big hit but I need it and if I purchase it then it really doesn't matter as I was actually able to finance even more of the depreciation at a low rate.

What really was great about the deal was I got $1000 more than I thought I would on the vehicle I had planned on trading. They bought my 4Runner at almost the "private party value" rather then trade in value.
  • roger341roger341 Member Posts: 59
    Mr conklin-

I also live in NVA, can you tell me what dealer to check with? I'm looking for an 08 Exped.

I've never leased before but it seems like it's worth doing.

Thanks
    I'm curious, did you lease with Ford Red Carpet lease? I looked at an 07 and found the difference in the money factor on an 08 vrs an 07 made the 08 a better deal. The 07 interest on the leasing was 9% and on the 08 it was only 0.5% (for a 2 year lease)

Could you include the deatails on your lease. IE: What interest rate did you get and what was your final "base" payment.
  • rwarrencfprwarrencfp Member Posts: 15
    I am considering a 2007 Exp EB 4x2 and a 2008 Exp EB 4x2. I know that the cash back on the 2007 is now $3500 vs $2500 for the 2008 until March 31st. Are there any additional incentives being paid to the dealer on the 2007? Is there any incentive for a returning RCL customer in addition to the ones above?

Thanks
  • deasundeasun Member Posts: 11
    Just ordered a 2008 limited EL 4x4 with near everything but;
    Heavy Tow Pkg, DVD Ent., Navigation GPS thingy.
    $100 under the dealer invoice and then we get the $3500 rebate on top of that.
    % rate is gona be around 5.3 to 4.9 for the financing.
  • cottingercottinger Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone purchased a 2008 Expedition King Ranch lately? I am looking at possibly getting one and was wondering what to expect as far as discounting is concerned.
  • driverofcarsdriverofcars Member Posts: 7
    Just picked up an '07 with 12k miles, tow and convenience package in perfect (I mean smells new) condition for $17.8.
    Unbeatable value.
  • bc13bc13 Member Posts: 32
    hi driverofcars

what part of the country are you in? I've been looking for an el and can't get close to the low 20's. agree that they are an unbeatable value.
  • lmo9lmo9 Member Posts: 4
    looking at a 2008 EL Limited model. dealer is offering the employee pricing plus the $3000 incentive and $500 bonus cash. can i do better than the employee pricing on the 2008s?
  • cottingercottinger Member Posts: 6
    I went to 2 dealers in the past week and could not get either to budge off of the employee plus pricing on 2008 ELs. We were the only shoppers at both dealerships on a holiday weekend day. They are going to have to do better or they will be dipping into those bailout funds after all.
  • fordexpofordexpo Member Posts: 11
    January 2008 we purchased a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Hardtop. Do not know why I bought this thing but a few months after I purchased it, I hated Chrysler the dealer and this trashy running Jeep more than anything. 20 months went buy and just before Christmas it sold on Craigslist losing only $10,000.00. from the $26,000 I paid for it. It was junk, unrepairable with only 15K miles on it. On the way home from dropping it of at the airport I stopped at a upscale used car dealer after seeing an Expedition on the front of the lot, It ended up being a 2004 loaded with moonroof Eddie Bauer 4X4 with 31,000 miles on it, spotless! Just curious how much? Just lowered to $16999.00. They will never get that but he asked me to make an offer, I said how much will you take again. Well, he sent the sales mgr over and he started dropping the price. I gave $13,000 cash out the door including Tax titile and license. Window sticker was in the glove box and it was $43,345.00 when new. car fax showed it sold at auction over one year ago from leasing compny and had been on this lot for over one year. I guess it is going to be like our 1990 36 foot motorhome, It ours to keep and will never be able to sell it. I do love this animal but also own a 2005 Honda Civic 38 MPG when we drive any distance. It tows good and gas at $4.00 a gallon is something we should all look foward to again. My motorhoime only gets 6 MPG but we do not drive it everday. Big and heavy does not get good MPG and if someone tells you that it is not so? They are full of crap. I have always liked Fords and have a 2000 Explorer EB with 148K miles, A 2004 Freestar SEL with 97K miles on it ( this thing is really neat). And now a 2004 Expedition EB with 31K miles on it. Geico policy for two full coverage and two with libility for $489.00 for six months. Bye Bye Allstate!!!!!!
  • rgibson74rgibson74 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my expediton last weekend 06 king Ranch with 45k for just under 12k with taxes. Still smells new.
  • fordexpofordexpo Member Posts: 11
    It is really something on the value of a used Ford Expedition. They lose almost all of the value in just a few years. Worth almost nothing from $45,000 to $12,000 in three years. I enjoy mine but would never consider buying a new one since we only use it to tow or haul junk in locally a few times a month. Love my Honda
    They lose almost all of the value in just a few years. Worth almost nothing from $45,000 to $12,000 in three years

Numbers can be misleading. I've had two Expeditions and two Sequoia's. My Expedition listed for about $47,000. By the time I took all the discouts and rebats it was around $36,000 (taxes not included). The Sequoia I had before this was also around $47,000 but I had to pay at that time close to $43,000 for it. When you look at the depreciation values based on KBB and others they always compare the MSRP. They need to compare to the purchase prices. My Expeditions depreciated around the same as my two Sequoia's from what they cost me to what I actually got for them when I traded. With the Sequoia's you end up having either more of your cash tied up or a larger payment. Unless you just like the Toyota, it doesn't make good financial sence, reguardless of the arguments the salesperson will make. (I showed them the numbers last time. I even traded a Sequoia for a Sequoia so they couldn't make the argument about getting a better deal trading a Sequoia in rather than an Expedition, which is the argument they made the first time when I traded the Ford for the Toyota).

In all fairness I would have bought the Sequoia when I got the Ford had the new one been available. The dealers said it would be spring before they would be out so I went ahead and got the Ford. Then the Toyota shows up in December on the lots. That cost them a sale. The Ford is a much more practical to use SUV though than the old Sequoia's with the fold flat seats. I hated taking the seats out of the Toyota to use the back. Hopefully they improved on that in the new ones.

My wife has not grown to like the new look of the Sequoia so it probably won't be in our future any time soon.
  • boffinsboffins Member Posts: 2
    We're seriously considering purchasing a used 2006 EB 4x4 with about 34K miles on it. The car was previously a rental in Hawaii and then was sold at auction. A new buyer in WA purchased the car and only owned it for 8 mo before trading it in--he had brought it in to the dealer because the car was misfiring and stalling (at a cold start and on the highway). Supposedly faced with a $2000 repair, he traded it in for a compact (although who only buys a car for 8 mo?). The dealership made the repairs (and has given us copies of the work done), but we're wondering is this engine problem likely to be a long-term problem, or will it most likely be fine for the long term. If it matters, coil #4 was replaced as well as the cam phasers. It also looks like a couple of gaskets and the camshaft sensor were also replaced. Otherwise, this is the only time this vehicle has been in the shop since its first owner. The Ford warranty expired in January. This will be the only vehicle we have that we can fit all 4 kids (in carseats!) in so reliability is key. Thanks and we look forward to your advice!