Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• avfan2avfan2 Member Posts: 23
    That is not good news, I thought there were other AWDs with the infamous whine. Am I the only one?
  • lolaj42lolaj42 Member Posts: 420
    in my Aviator . . . now only if the Navigation System could figure out what state it's in, I'd be a happy camper.
  • hammer995hammer995 Member Posts: 27
    Has anybody seen this yet? It sounds like its the old NAV+Stereo but the higher price tag is now paying for THX Certification to George Lucas. It doesn't really say what enhancements the THX does. And THX is a standard only not really an encoding that the webpage suggests ie 360 degree sound blah..

It says 9 speakers 2 subs etc....but how was that different from the older system?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    They basically upgraded the components and then tuned it to the Aviator interior. I know when they first did this with the LS they actually changed some interior parts (like the rear package shelf) for better sound and to eliminate unwanted sounds and vibrations.

There is nothing special about it other than it's high quality and tuned specifically for the vehicle.
  • ncaviatorncaviator Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Aviator Premium that I purchased in December. I have taken trips to Florida and KY from NC with no problems at all. I test drove the Tahoe and Suburban before choosing the Lincoln based on comfort and style. This thing ROCKS! Fortunately I have not experienced the rear end problems that I have been reading about so hopefully I lucked out on that one. My gas mileage has been very good so far, I avg. just under 19mpg on the highways and better then 14.5 in the city. My MTE shows 361 when filled up which based on what I am reading from others is pretty good.
  • e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    Is yours a 2WD or AWD?
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    I have 5000 miles on my 04 AWD Aviator and the mileage is getting better all the time. I now average 15.5, with between 18-20 on highways. Most of my driving is highway. I find this impressive, considering. My MTE has been showing 348 on fill-up lately.
  • ncaviatorncaviator Member Posts: 2
    Mine is a 2WD with about 8000 miles. I guess that explains my mileage. I have been riding in town all week with one or two short jumps on the highway and I'm averaging just over 16. I have a neighbor that has a Nissan SUV with a 6-cylinder engine and he said he is getting about 14 in the city. Wild huh?
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Sometimes the bigger engine options are more economical overall, than their lesser counterparts. Mainly because the V8's will require less power to get moving, over the V6's.
  • jmunguiajmunguia Member Posts: 2
    Since the board has been silent for some time, I'll post what I've been thinking about for a while:

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the annoying habit of the NAV system to disable certain functions when you exceed ~3mph? I know what Lincoln was thinking, but most of the time I have a passenger who can actually program the thing while I focus on driving.

Second, and more difficult, in addition to NAV we have the rear DVD player. Has anyone looked into having the DVD player display on the front NAV screen? There is connectivity between the two since we can control some DVD functions from the NAV screen but there is no video on the NAV. Here I suppose in addition to the safety reasons Lincoln does not allow this from the factory, there will be technical challenges but before I start down this road I'm curious to see if anyone has tried it.

Thanks, -Juan
    You are out of luck on using the nav while driving. Blame the lawyers and sue-happy consumers.

You might be able to get the DVD display to the front screen (if it has external inputs) but even if you did it's illegal in most states. See previous explanation.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I know a guy who managed it with an aftermarket unit, but not a factory one.
    To think, in Europe some of the Navi systems come with TV capability so you can watch TV (or listen to it for that matter) while driving (Volvo's System as best example). But unfortunately betwene people who lack common sense, and are sue happy, it's not possible here in the U.S.
  • hammer995hammer995 Member Posts: 27
    Cadillac SRX allows the DVD to play on the NAV only when the parking brake is enabled...

It was on my short list but didn't really like it...hence my aviator is being built as I speak...hopefully.
    Can you place the parking brake on the SRX, on the first notch, and be able to activate it though?... At the risk of burning up the brakes a bit.
    you and I are so dangerous when we think!!! I'd be looking for the bypass wire on that brake switch...

The answer to your question is YES, you can, but (gasp!!!) that will also disable your DRLs! Perish the thought!
    That's fine, I'm not much interested in the DRL....if I'm going to hit someone I want to make sure I caught them off guard....heh...

Seriously I do like the DRL, and studies have shown to reduce daytime accidents.

Just tonight in a construction road where traffic is squeezed down to one lane (close) to the next uncoming traffic. This idiot had high beams on, SO... I thru myself head on to him, turned on MY brights... that cured him REAL QUICK and turned off his brights and back I settled to my lane. I tell ya, the things I need to do to keep people safer, geesh....
  • cajun_mikecajun_mike Member Posts: 37
    anyone want to take a stab at what the new incentives will be April 1 when the current incentives of 3k or 0% financing ends on March 31?

Does it go up, renews at the same rate or goes away completely?

I sure would like to see it go up to 4k or 0% ;)
    would be that it stays the same. I don't think you'll see anything higher until the end of the model year. Unless sales really start to tank.
  • tallship2tallship2 Member Posts: 9
    Any updates on the Rear Axle Whine fix? Mine is getting progressively worse, especially after 20 minutes or so of freeway driving.
    Go back to post 1266.
  • cangelocangelo Member Posts: 19
    New to the list I ordered a 2004 Aviator back in Jan, French Silk fully loaded AWD it came in end of Feb without the advance track because of the sensor problem. I did not take delivery as a friend of mine is the G.M of the dealership and said he would order new. My new was to be in the 22nd of March. It is built but is on hold because of the radio/nav upgrade the factory is holding 210 units Approx due to problems on the radio side. Also the Nav is having software problems. As for the front Nav screen and DVD to work Yes it can be done. A place in N.Y.C wants Approx $1,200/$1,500.oo to change it but they need the vehicle. Another friend Of mine owns a Car audio shop he found a place in Calf, who wants about $1,1oo just send the the head unit they modify it with a one year warranty. He feels as with the others and looking at the wire diagram it is not too much different the Navigators and some of the others auto manufactures. The unit comes frome Vistion,and Johnson controls also the head unit is set up just like Audiovox When I get the vehicle I will be able to give more info but I have seen it done and it works well. As you all know it will void the factory warranty on the unit if it stops working.
  • wzfbwzfb Member Posts: 2
    Dealer changed rear differential of my Aviator three weeks ago, the axle whine problem is solved, now there is no noise at all.
    Well, the incentives were renewed at the same rate of 3k or 0% fincancing.

My RWD Ultimate Aviator will be shipped the week of April 12. It had been held up due to the class III trailer hitch which was not previously available on 04 models until now. If you go to the Lincoln website you can now configure a RWD Aviator with class III hitch for 7,300 pounds of towing capability. The option gives you a 3.55 rear end. I can hardly wait... Now I am just waiting for my dealer to give me a quote on sanding down all the grey lower side moldings, mirrors and painting them in tricoat white so that I can have a monochromed Aviator. It's not an option on the Aviator but is on the Navigator. Here's a link to a guys Aviator that had it done. I wont be changing the grill or changing my wheels. I ordered the 17 inch chrome wheels. http://ftw.truckmoxie.com/forums/topic.ten?id=218645
    Has been an available option on all 2004 AWD Aviators. My AWD Ultimate Aviator was built in January '04 and has the Class III Tow Package option, though I have the 3.73 Axle Ratio. Towing capacity is 7100 pounds with this configuration.
    But I think they were put on hold for a couple of months because of the Rear Axle Whine phenomenon - until the new rear end differentials were available that could handle the torque from this engine under towing load. So, for a time, you couldn't order one in the Ford computer.
    had, until recently, only been an available option for Aviators equipped with AWD (per the '04 Sales Brochure). The RWD platform could only be purchased with the standard (Class I/II) trailer hitch. Also, per the '04 Brochure, the Aviator was ONLY built with the 3.73 rear diff, so the 3.55 is a late availability offering. It makes sense to me, as there are many people that tow that don't need the AWD functionality, and I'm sure many objected to being forced into the AWD system just to get the Class III hitch from the factory. To me, having more choices in configuring my vehicle is a good thing.
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    My sister just bought a used 2004 demo. It is pretty much loaded. I think my favorite features are the nav. system & cooled seats (the 2 features I wish my otherwise loaded 2000 LS would have.)

The beast runs like a dream. I didn't notice the rear-end noise that has been noted. It was made in 10/03. Should I let them know that there is a potential problem?
    If they haven't noticed by now it's not there. It's really obvious. Mine occurs (waiting for next trip back to dealer for service) between 55-62 mph.
    I am debating on whether or not to get my dealer to paint the lower moldings on my new Aviator when it arrives. Here is some pics of a guys tricoat white aviator that he had done. This guy works for a Lincoln dealer. The process to paint the moldings is time consuming because the moldings have a texture and that texture has to be sanded smooth. Of course the Monochromed look is an option on the Navigator. Check it out here http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/415770/4 and give me some honest opinions.
    Wait a few months and think about it. That's a lot of money for a minor cosmetic change. If you still want to do it then go for it.
    Honestly? I like the running board treatment, but hate the front end treatment.
    I like the originality of it, but there's a REASON why the bottom treatment is a bit more coarse than the upper sheetmetal. I would specify for a rust proofing to be applied in that area more-so, if your planning on keeping the vehicle long-term.
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    I'm new to posting, although I've been following these boards for a month or so. I, too, have been in the "hunt" for an Aviator, but living in Florida, finding or ordering an AWD has been a problem. Every dealer said that they could order one, until it got to the details. Cangelo, at least you had been able to put in an order, I couldn't even do that! Lots of problems with options, primarily with Advance Trak and AWD. I couldn't get an honest answer out of anybody, regarding my situation. Now, I'm told, the factory will not take any buid orders. Apparently, they're shutting down early to re-tool for the new cross-over Aviator. I suppose I'll start calling up and down the East coast to see if anyone has a vehicle available, and try to be satisfied with whatever is left over.
    Keep us informed about your progress, I'll be interested if you'll actually be able to get the vehicle you ordered.
    The new crossover Aviator won't be out for another couple of years, so that's a bunch of hooey. Find another dealer. There could be ordering problems with certain options.
    I ordered my RWD lincoln aviator two months ago and it is shipping next week. I ordered it with a class III towing package, Advance Trac roll stability control and in tricoat white. I had no issues with ordering. The only thing that stalled my order was the fact that I wanted a RWD with a class III towing package and that was not going to be available until April 5. I knew this when I ordered it and sure enough Ford's timeline was correct. My Aviator ships from the factory on April 12. You need to contact another Lincoln dealer in your area because your sales guy is selling you a load of bull. He is either lazy or his general manager is insisting on selling what they have in stock.
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    My problem may be unique to the Florida market. I did speak with one of Lincoln zone people, she confirmed that "Advance Trak was not available", followed shortly thereafter with "all allocations for this region are closed out". They wouldn't even change one of the existing orders and replace it with mine. I've searched the Pittsburgh area and it seems that they have several units that would fit the bill, however, I'm not ready to make the trip just yet. (My Mom still lives up there.)

I may be incorrect about the new Aviator cross-over, but everything that I've researched says that it'll be in the showrooms as a 2005 or a very early 2006.
    Thanks for the inputs
    "I may be incorrect about the new Aviator cross-over, but everything that I've researched says that it'll be in the showrooms as a 2005 or a very early 2006.
    Thanks for the inputs "

The project doesn't even have a JOB1 date yet, when it does and I receive it, I'll let you know.
  • mikejhvacnvmikejhvacnv Member Posts: 7
    I own a 03 with chrome wheel option and have a painted alunm wheel, do you think my spare should match the other four on vehicle?
  • e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    I think Lincoln did the monochromatic treatment on the Kitty Hawk Aviator. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03169/193601.stm
    I've never seen a kittyhawk in person but that one pictured with that story is not monochromed... the lower moldings are still grey.
    My order came in last week 4/7 it was due in on the 3/22. I picked it up on Good Friday. Came with all the options that I requested. I ordered all the options except white Tri color. I ordered French Silk Beige. On my first order when the SUV came in as I stated earlier it came without advance trac. I know that it was my order as if you look at the sticker your name is on the sticker and I have the a copy of the original order sheet that is computerized showing advance trac. When he re ordered it same as I requested earlier but it had change for the better because of the factory change it came with advance trac with Roll Stability also THX sound and some minor mods on the NAV to help correct the problems that they were having it also came with a higher price that I did not have to pay. Also my name was on this factory sticker. did not have to deal with a salesman as I ordered this through a friend of mine who happens to be the General Manager only delt with the salesman after I bought it by the way a friend of mine I took over to also bought a Ford Escape Limited 2005 a few weeks before she shopped around before going there and they were fair and very accomidating. I also checked with other dealerships on the price of my order to see what they were willing to sell to me for the same SUV and all of them told me to take it because they said it was a great deal I only told them after we haggled about price they did not want to match the offer. Not only did he stick by price but they also gave me additional monies off because of the factory hold back and 1st factory mistake I had already sold my car back mid Feb knowing the 1st one was due in in about weeks time back then. They Have A good reputation as a dealership been around for a long time 3rd time I have bought off them in 11 yrs. I am also tinkering around the idea of painting the mirrors supports same as the body color. The bottom gray goes pretty good with the beige color and I will more then likely leave that alone but I was tempted to paint all one color until I was able see that both colors go well.
  • us002840us002840 Member Posts: 6
    How much time elapsed between placing the order and delivery of your new Aviator?

I am going to place an order for an Aviator next week, April 19, 2004.

Thanks in advance.
    about six weeks for me.....
  • 530530 Member Posts: 2
    My Aviator has been humming since day one,March 2003.My dealer says Lincoln don't have a fix yet.I've called Lincoln hotline and they tell me no fix yet.So is there a fix for some and none for the rest of us?
    I only have put 6800 miles on this vehicle in over a year.I'm very disappointed with Lincoln.
    Please describe the whine. If it occurs between 55 and 65 mph with foot on gas but goes away if you lift off the gas then there is a fix as described earlier. Try another dealer unless this is a different problem.
  • 530530 Member Posts: 2
    That's my whine.Thanks! I'll take your advise.
    Ist order took about 6 weeks Second order took about 7 weeks. Lets us know when you order. Or find one Good Luck.
    I think you have been too nice. If it is a legitimate problem you have recourse. My 1st go back to the dealership and ask for the owner nicely and just stay cool but be firm and explain the problem. If it is a group of owners ask for corporate. If no luck go to another dealer explain honestly your problem. If no luck call zone office of Ford ,call Ford marketing,Call Lincoln Marketing,one of the above will get you answers and correction of your problem. Marketing does not like to here about whats been going on and depending on your state if it cannot be fixed they owe you another vehicle.