Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    That is correct...
  • cangelocangelo Member Posts: 19
    Thank You for the explanation I just wanted to let you know I read a artical in the paper yesterday that the Attorney General for the State of Ohio is filing lawsuit against the dealers and Manufactures Foreign and Domestic for not applying the intent of the Lemon Law. Also the U.S. Supreme Court will be hearing a case in a few months on a complaint that the dealers are Prorating the buy backs for the length of time you owned the vehicle causing a hard ship for most consumers who end up loosing down payment monies or any equity they had in the car some still owe loan companies even after the buy back it is obvious that this law has limited effect across the country even if your state does have a lemon law.
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    There's been some conversation regarding VIN numbers, and of course their relationship to manufacture dates. Does anyone know the number sequence or a clue as to how to determine when an Aviator was manufactured? If I ever do manage to find one, I'd like to know that it hasn't been sitting around for 6 months, or so.
    Thanx
    "Life is Better at the Beach"
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Date of manufacture is on the door jamb sticker on the driver's door, top line.
    Anybody out their buy a stone and bug shield. And if so what kind, name brand, smoke or clear paint typ. And how did it mount, has it been affective.
    Just want to know if this form is still active no messages for some time
                             Carmen
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I wouldn't say it's Active, but it's not archived. Have a question?
    see 1396 bug shield info sorry for the misprint
    don't do bugshields....can't help ya.
    Back a couple of months ago (posting #1325) I bemoaned the fact that I wasn't able to purchase an Aviator in the Florida market. I half-jokingly suggested that I would need to go north to find what I wanted. Well, that's exactly what happened! I had to make a trip to Pittsburgh to see my 93 year old Mom, and on a whim I stopped into the local Linc dealer. While the color wasn't "exactly" what my wife wanted (it's her car, you see), and it had more options than we wanted (entertainment package), we agreed on a deal and drove it 1100 miles back to Florida. The deal was fair (don't you just love those rebates?) and they gave us a good deal on the trade. Now, if we can just stay out of the "problems" forums, I'll feel better about it. It was a great ride home. I just set the Navigation to some simple settings and it seemed to work flawlessly. I know that there will be issues, but I'll deal with those after I educate myself about the system. It does like to drink the high test stuff, but we accepted that when we decided to buy the Aviator.

Keep the information coming, I know that there will be a lot of questions and with all of the experience out there it will be a great help.
    I think most of the "issues" have been ironed out. You will probably love your Aviator. They drive like nothing else out there!
  • mongo1mongo1 Member Posts: 49
    Just picked up my new Aviator Ultimate two weeks ago. What a nice vehicle. A little different from the S-90 Volvo I was driving, but pretty smooth handling from a truck! Anybody out there know how to remove the 3rd row seat bottom for a flat cargo floor? Also, anybody out there use their "baby 'gator" for towing? Would love to hear opinions. Thanks.
    I haven't tried to do it yet, but the salesguy I had said "just take it out"! I presume that means lift it out from the front of the seat.

Towing, not yet! The vehicle we ended up with didn't have the "Class III" hitch, only the standard hitch. I would like to change the "Class I" for a "Class III". Has anyone done that? We have a lot of accessories that fit the larger (2 in.) hitch. Nothing that weights much, so I'm not concerned about needing an oil-cooler or whatever else came with the towing package. Is it a simple switch of the assembly?
    Thanx
    "Life is better at the Beach"
    The salesmen told me (without demonstrating it) that you just "lift it out" I haven't tried it yet.

Towing! Not yet! My wife's Aviator came with the standard Class I hitch, which I'd like to change to a Class III. We have some accessories that fit the Class III (bike rack, etc.) Has anyone made the switch to a Class III? Is it a simple exhange? Bolt off and bolt on?
  • e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    We tow a 5700 lb. 27 foot travel trailer. It tows better than our old 2001 5.4 ltr Expedition.
    7.5 MPG!
    Thanks for the quick reply! I need to get in there and just see what removal of the seat entails. I suspect it is fastened down in the manner of the larger Navigator. As for changing over from a Class II (which is what you have stock) to a Class III, easy peasy. Just 4 bolts. Part of the deal on mine was to have that upgrade and since the dealer didn't have one in stock, they had to perform the switch in house. All I had to do is buy the new Class III hitch cover. About $35 bucks. Hope this helps. Where in South Florida are you?
    Thanks e350v10 for the quick response. That is music to my ears! If I may be so nosy as to inquire, what model trailer are you towing and how do the canyon winds affect your tracking? Are you using a distrubution hitch such as a Hensley Arrow? Thank you so much in advance for your patience and I look forward to your reply. Colorado is truly a beautiful state.
    Tequesta, right on the Martin - Palm Beach County line.

I'll check with the dealer about making a switch to the Class III
    Tequesta is a pretty little town, used to live in Lauderdale myself back in the eighties. B.T.W., just to stay on topic, I don't think you need to worry about an oil cooler. I don't believe there really is a specific "tow package" for these vehicles, as I believe all that kind of stuff is inclusive in the standard package. But I do know that if you have the 3.73:1 axle, there were issues regarding the use of the class III hitch. You may want to discuss this with your mechanic. I understand that is why the 2004 vehicles won't allow that axle option to be combined with the Class III hitch. Hope this helps.
  • dhagadhaga Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at buying an Aviator and am very interested in the comment about the 3.73:1 axle. The 04's I have looked at, with tow package, also show a 3.73:1 "regular axle" on the window sticker. Is this an issue ? Out here in CA some dealers are unloading by offering up to $14,500 off MSRP. I Can get a lower end Aviator for less than a high end Explorer. Since I want blue and AWD,however,it seems like I am stuck with buying all the options unless I special order.
    The only axle problems I know anything about, were early failures due to having been packed with the incorrect lubricant at the factory. The whine was detectable pretty early on, and most of the noise from this problem has dissipated now.
    I have a 2004 with the 3.73 axle I have done some towing already and have found it to be one of the best tow vehicle for size, power and stability. I towed some construction equipment twice and it handled well. I hope all is well with the system as of yet have not had any problems.
    From what I understand from the Lincoln website, the 2004 model is not available with a combination of the Class III hitch and the 3.73:1 axle. This is further substantiated by the Owners Manual which lists a towing limit of only 3500 lbs. (Class II range) for that particular axle ratio. Doesn't make much sense to me, but that is what is being described. That is why I recommend talking to a Lincoln mechanic, perhaps they could shed some more light on this issue. Hope this helps. Oh, and another thing. I've owned Volvos and Toyotas for the last 25 years after a nasty experience with an American manufacturer and I am VERY happy to report that the fit, finish and particularly the service from the Dealer is as good, and in many cases BETTER than either of those two previously mentioned makes.
    Did yours come stock with the Class III hitch? When my dealer agreed to upgrade mine, the first thing they checked was the axle ratio. I am very pleased to hear you tow well with this vehicle, as that was the primary reason I used to convince the better half to let me buy it! ;^) (Whew!) Do you use a weight distribution hitch? Thanks in advance for your insight.
  • dhagadhaga Member Posts: 4
    When I go to the Lincoln website. Then do a dealer and vehicle search I can find the window sticker of any Aviator at every dealer near me. The window stickers of vehicles with tow package also show a 3.73:1 axle. What gives ? Thanks,Don
    I believe there was a change on 5-1-04. Maybe the vehicles on the dealer's lot were manufactured before the change.
  • tonye401tonye401 Member Posts: 1
    I am a sales rep for Lincoln the way that you lift out the seat in the Lincoln Aviator there is 2 clips on each side of the third row seat. Grab the clip and move it towards the middle of the seat and lift the seat out.
    Thank you very much for that information. Just another sterling example of the fine service I have recieved from Lincoln. Please keep up the good work.
    Will Dougherty
    Wow, what a difference a few days make. To further confuse the issue, I JUST went to the Lincoln website, and under "Build a Car", I punched in both the Luxury and Ultimate models, and guess what? The Class III option is no longer offered, PERIOD! Can't say why, but I believe Mr. Kirby below is correct. All the Aviators I have checked with the Class III hitch were manufactured prior to 5-1-04. Anyway, there are a few left out there if you are willing to look and not be too choosy on options. Good Luck.
    To add more fuel to the fire ------ re: ratios & class III. I called the local "draw-tite" dealer; he said that he could install a class III in place of the class II, but it would void the factory warranty. Or -- they can install a Class III beneath the existing Class II. I don't know who would want that, however. I then called the dealer who sold me the car in Pgh and he said "no problem, bolt the old off and bold the new on!" But, he's in Pgh and I and the car are now in Florida. I don't know what the local Linc dealer will say when I broach the subject.
    Luck,
    "Life is better at the Beach"
    Good luck trying to order a vehicle. If my experience is any indication, it was inventory or nothing. I couldn't even find a dealer to order me an Aviator back in April, so I doubt they'll do it now. But give it a try and let us know the result.
    Well, I'm not sure where "Pgh" is, but if you call Longwood Lincoln Mercury here in Seminole County I'm certain they would be happy to upgrade one for you. If you need a phone number, let me know and I will get it for you. You will have to buy a new hitch cover, about 35 bucks, and the hitch itself should be around $279. Maybe a little more because they have to remove the old hitch. Let me know.
    I don't normally advocate this but you could always keep the class II and reinstall it before taking it in for warranty work.
    I doubt anybody would notice the Class III upgrade, unless it was in for transmission or axle work anyway. I'm very surprised though, that the Class III is not longer available. My 04 Mountaineer has it, and it was made in March.
  • e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    Was just on the site. It is an option for the AWD Aviators.
    Hi Monqo1 My class III/IV hitch was a option that I ordered along with the ultimate all wheel drive, advance track / roll stability.The vehicle was built in March 04.I did not use a weight distribution hitch and had no problems I drove on highways, rural and city roads with out a hitch LOLOLOL no pun intended. In any event it handled extremely well. I am going to check with the dealership to see if their is a service bulletin on this set up. If I can help you further let me know.
    I would agree, particularly if the proper plastic bumper cover was installed. Someone would have to go to the trouble of comparing manufacturing dates with options lists and I doubt if many would spend the time. Besides, if it were installed by a dealer, wouldn't that imply some sort of warranty?
    Thank you very much for your prompt reply cangelo, and I hope this finds you well. I am very glad to hear that the weight distribution hitch may not be required. I am currently looking at a 25 foot travel trailer with a wet weight of about 4800 lbs and a GVWR of 6600 lbs. Mine is a 4X2 ultimate but fortunately (and by design!) I have very little snow to have to deal with! Thanks again.
    Will Dougherty
    "Besides, if it were installed by a dealer, wouldn't that imply some sort of warranty?"

On the part that was installed - yes. All dealer installed parts get a warranty, but there's no guarantee that a dealer installed feature won't void the warranty on the vehicle. Only a factory installed feature would be guaranteed warranty coverage.

Now dealers SHOULD be smart enough not to install something that would void the warranty without telling you.
    Good morning akirby, and I hope this finds you well. I guess that was really what I meant when I said "if it were installed by the dealer" I should think that since a Dealership is an authorized representative of the Factory. It would imply some responsibility on their part to ensure that any factory manufactured part or accessory be installed correctly AND not void and warranty on the vehicle. However, this is probably a debate better left to legal minds much greater than mine LOL! Thanks for the reply, and enjoy your day.
    Will Dougherty
    Actually, the dealers have taken great care to separate themselves from the manufacturer. While the dealership is authorized to sell a mfr's product and to do authorized service, they are in no way a factory representative. This is very confusing because the mfr's name is on the sign out front. You have to think of it like Circuit City selling electronics. They're factory authorized for sales and service but not at all related to the mfr. If Circuit City told you you could connect a Sony receiver to Bose speakers and it caused a problem it would be Circuit City's problem, not Sony or Bose.

The mfr/dealer relationship and franchise laws are really screwed up IMO. The mfr has no control over the dealers.
    I think we've been through this before. How far back is the front rack? What's the maximum distance between your front and rear crossbars right now?

I'll check mine when I get home.
    Good P.M. akirby, excellent analogy with the Circuit City. I guess the crux of the matter lies in the interpretation of the term "Factory Authorized". It would still seem to me that a professional certified mechanic would advise their customer before installing anything that would breach their warranty. But as my sainted grey-haired mama used to tell me, "Boy, I could fill volumes with what you don't know!" LOL. Anyway, what type of Aviator did you purchase? Mine was the 110 Ultimate package with the Audiophile, Ceramic Clearcoat and Class III hitch (added afterward). Although it is only a few weeks and a few hundred miles old, I am impressed with the build quality and ride. I didn't think ol' "DORF" had it in them! Hope your day and weekend goes well.
    Will Dougherty
  • raul69raul69 Member Posts: 28
    Hi All,

I have a 2003 Avi and I think the luggage rack is defective. The front or forward cross bar within the rack does not go beyond a set point. It will go backwards toward the other bar but it cannot be set forward towards the front of the rack because it has a metal nipple shaped rivet in the rail system not allowing it to be moved beyond this point forward. I will be going camping in two weeks and I need to install a rack but due to this problem I can't. Does anyone have this problem with the rack on their aviator? Can you set the front crossbar anywhere on the rail system? Thanks for your help.
    What the dealer should do and what they actually do are entirely different things (unfortunately). Some are much better than others.

I got a 2003 Ultimate 2WD with everything but the DVD entertainment system. Had the rear axle whine but that was fixed a couple of months ago. I have a 2000 Lincoln LS and the Aviator drives almost as good as the LS. And much, much better than the 99 expedition that it replaced.
  • hammer995hammer995 Member Posts: 27
    I finally picked up the remote and headphones for the rear entertainment system. The headphones work fine but the DVD remote doesn't work at all. I'm going to bring it back tomorrow but I wonder if anybody else had an issue. I'm pointing it everywhere and its not doing anything....

Any ideas?
    It does not go past the opening end of the rear door. There is a separation of no more than about 19 inches between the crossbars. Cargo bags or racks require at least 30 to 35 inches. Please let me know if your crossbars move freely between the entire rail system or at least to the beggining of your front door. This should be sufficient clearance. My brother in law has a Navigator and he is able to get his crossbars to move freely. Thanks for your help Akirby.
    Chrome or non-chrome luggage rack?

Also - you posted your question 3 times. Please go back and hit the DELETE button on the last two. You probably did a reload/refresh on the window where you posted the original question resulting in duplicates.
    Chrome with black crossbars. Thanks
    When we picked up my Wife's new Aviator, I saw the salesguy unwrap the remote and load 2 new batteries. On the way home, it wouldn't work! I read everything, did everything -- it still wouldn't work. Well, says my wife, maybe it's the batteries! She was right! I pulled them out, checked them on a meter. One was good and the other -- bad! Corroded! New batteries fixed the problem.